Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: The A-League Expansion Thread

watched a bit of the press conference.

Regardless of whether you agree with the strategy of not, the fact the boffins got up there and were honest about having more derbies and trying to get 'away' fans to the games showed they were at least trying to be honest with the public about it. in the old days there would have been some stupid corporate speak that no one believed. i give them credit for having a plan.

The dudes from the Campbelltown bid were hilarious. they couldnt get enough of the camera, and good for them they finally get their time to shine. one dude even made mention of how good the parking was at the stadium just so he could get the camera to point at him.
    ive no doubt they have all already watched the replay of the presser at least 25 times with their closest family and friends and are revelling in the amount of messages they are receiving from friends saying 'hey look at you, you're on TV'.
    i give them 18 months before they are fighting like cats and dogs and it all goes to shit.

oh, and they want to go after Jedinak. one dude even said "every team in the A-League would want to have him".
    yanno what? i reakon i know one that doesnt.

these jamokes are gonna be the laughing stock of the league. just hope they dont take away too many of the Gypos lulz. no doubt we all have enough mocking laughter to go around.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned
    They will poach players from your Newcastle Jets. Too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Police View Post
    ...and their fist win is going to be against...
    yeah, your Newcastle Jets

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Police View Post
    I seriously doubt that any Jets would want to move to Campbelltown given whats on offer here as far as an established and successful team plus the attractions of the city.
    Campbelltown is too hot in summer, too cold in winter, real estate is relatively expensive, and it's basically not the type of place you'd leave an apartment with ocean views in Newcastle for unless forced to do so.
    I can see us off loading players to them but I can't imagine anyone wanting to go there unless offered a massive pay increase.

*shakes head*
    Amigos Aarau

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    I seriously doubt that any Jets would want to move to Campbelltown given whats on offer here as far as an established and successful team plus the attractions of the city.
    Campbelltown is too hot in summer, too cold in winter, real estate is relatively expensive, and it's basically not the type of place you'd leave an apartment with ocean views in Newcastle for unless forced to do so.
    I can see us off loading players to them but I can't imagine anyone wanting to go there unless offered a massive pay increase.
    And they go on to win the ACL in their 2nd season
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    can't wait for all the stabbings during western Sydney derbies

and one thing that they history or A League expansion has shown, it's that areas of recent population growth make for great teams - just ask the Gold Coast

Thank you for your support of Canberra. However, I was going to stay put with the Jets anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    can't wait for all the stabbings during western Sydney derbies

and one thing that they history or A League expansion has shown, it's that areas of recent population growth make for great teams - just ask the Gold Coast
    hey man when that airport gets up and running in about 2064 that part of NSW will have an economic output to rival places like Lismore, Yass and Bulli.

and you will eat your words.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

but you see shouldnt the failed bids now continue there work and build there clubs? and come to a point where the Aleague must say hey lets take them up.

e.g Team 11 Southern Expansion with no proper team in place create a club gain entry into NPL and build the brand and support...

Its just so short term thinking and not longterm Fan base building...this might be my european based bias but i hope all teams are succesful.

But the point still remains without promotion relegation or proper penalties for coming last the league will continue to be just a cruisy affair.
    Amigos Aarau

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Canberra just needs to get smart and submit TWO teams.
    Instant derby.
    Call one 'Labor" and one "Liberal'.

Funding wont be an issue.

Must I do all the heavy lifting around here people?
    you idiot. that would never work. there is nobody in the ACT that identifies at "Liberal"

Greens v Labor is the way to go.

or

top bun v designer stubble

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    that would never work. there is nobody in the ACT that identifies at "Liberal"
    no one willingly identifies as a gypo either but the dopes at double-eff-aye still gave them a team innit.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Some absolute Tard on Reddit posted that the two new teams should become a Derby game as they are both from the West and are new to the league.

We should just fold this shit show now and save ourselves the embarrassment. If the only reason people will go to games is because it's a "Derby" than we have no hope of actually improving. Fold it and let players go back into the NPL where half of them belong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Some absolute Tard on Reddit posted that the two new teams should become a Derby game as they are both from the West and are new to the league.

We should just fold this shit show now and save ourselves the embarrassment. If the only reason people will go to games is because it's a "Derby" than we have no hope of actually improving. Fold it and let players go back into the NPL where half of them belong.
    **** we are already letting teams be created just so some rich bloke can make some housing development deals
    **** we are already refusing to let a side in as it may effect Blue Aids
    **** we are already refusing to let a side in from the Nations Caputal
    **** we are alrwady refusing to allow a new side in as the side near by need another year to bed down their plastic support
    **** we are already refusing to let South in because apparently the 80 year odd old founders of the club are racist hooligans and there may be an ethnic riot
    **** we are already refusing to allow pro rel so shit like the Mariners can be removed from the league like they deserve

This league is that ****ed lets have this Western Derby

Cant be any more ****ed and plastic than the rest of the league is becoming

Food to thought....
    Promotion and relegation arrives. Jets come last (yeah, I know, it couldn't happen in the real world) and get dropped and replaced by some Sydney NPL side.
    Does anyone think that this will mean the end of A league in Newy? Does anyone think a local side can win its way up? Would the Jets fold if dropped?

My only issue with promotion and relegation is that regional sides could disappear. As much as I hate the scum, I don't want them gone. Who would I hate?

There has to be a second division for P&R. We would be like the Geordies and own it...and pop up every couple of years.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Food to thought....
    Promotion and relegation arrives. Jets come last (yeah, I know, it couldn't happen in the real world) and get dropped and replaced by some Sydney NPL side.
    Does anyone think that this will mean the end of A league in Newy? Does anyone think a local side can win its way up? Would the Jets fold if dropped?

My only issue with promotion and relegation is that regional sides could disappear. As much as I hate the scum, I don't want them gone. Who would I hate?
    Is that though a bad thing??

Any club in Australia should be entitled to play in the top flight in Oz

It should be open to all and not a close shop set up where you pay your way in and then cant be kicked out

Works in every other country on the planet

Is that though a bad thing??

Any club in Australia should be entitled to play in the top flight in Oz

It should be open to all and not a close shop set up where you pay your way in and then cant be kicked out

Works in every other country on the planet
    Every other country doesn't have football as their 3rd or 4th sport

My concern is that over time we will end up with an A league made up exclusively of Sydney and Melbourne teams

Who then, Member, will you complain about with no local team?
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

I won't be watching........that's me!

I’m selfish. My interest in the a league would drop significantly without a Newcastle team.
    Though, working in Sydney, I’d probably get along to the odd game, but nowhere near as invested (or tortured) as I am
    now.

I think a second tier serves a purpose. But I just can’t see any current a league club being able to survive in the second tier.
    Australians simply don’t follow or appreciate 2nd best. It’s a great means to promote clubs. But I dare say any team relegated would cease to exist and realistically not stand a chance at promotion. While we still have overseas owners and groups bankrolling our clubs, there will be minimal interest in finding a second tier team when you could be wasting your money on a top tier team.

Players aren’t going to “drop back” to help their club gain promotion. Signing and holding players to multi year contracts won’t be viable in a second tier. End up with Vargas and Dimi playing 2nd tier? I doubt it.

The top 10 teams or however many in the top division will simply continue to rearrange the top 200 players in the country. Same shit, different clubs.