Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: The TV Shows Thread

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Danny forgetting about Eurons fleet when she is told about them 1000 times and even earlier in that episode.

All the dothraki and unsullied dying at the long night. (We saw it) The beyond idiotic war tactics during said long night.

Cersei who is a muderous lunatic not killing everyone in episode 4 when their standing infront of kings landing within range of her giant bolts.

Tyrion and Jon snow magically learning dothraki and unsullied during Cerseis speech in the finals. Several characters suddenly reverting or being irrelevant to push plot. She's not my queen blah blah blah

Danny's Dragons being useless against the dead and a small fleet of ships and then next episode 1 dragon is uber powerful against a whole castle and way more bolts.

I'm sure I'd find more problems if I wanted
    I don't think she forgot about the fleet, I just don't think the fleet was expected to be there and be so armed. I'm pretty sure no one knew about the giant crossbows, and the show stated they are only useful for a surprise attack.

Jon and Dany are at least consistent in poor war tactics throughout the many seasons of this show, it was no surprise the Battle of Winterfell had severely stupid moments too.

Cersei made it very clear in this season that she believed KL has never been seiged and she genuinely didn't believe it would be. She had no reason, according to her views, to attack.

I don't think it made out as if Tyrion & Jon actually understood what Dany was saying. Tyrion even said to Jon "did that sound like someone who was done liberating" or whatever the exact line was - it vibed to me they picked up the tone as well as the names of the cities she mentioned and they understood what she was getting at.

Dany's dragons weren't useless against the dead, they were useless against the Night King (which is relatively fair) and they were surprised by Euron an episode before. The next episode she used the angle of the sun as well as being ready to manoeuvre on Drogon to wipe out the giant crossbows. Again, like earlier, the giant crossbows were only ever good for a surprise attack as they are slow to reload and move.
    OK

man, this military tactics thing is a bit lame.

its the olden days, and the soldiers were either a bunch of savages or a bunch of dickless dudes who had a shield and spear each.

thats what they did back in the day, they just charged in and had a lash. it was worth it alone just for the visual of all those torches going out. that looked dope.

and Queen of Queens Cersei knows that there are still some rules of engagement. there was only like 50 dickless blokes there, if she wiped them out when they went for a chat she knew there were a bunch more coming. chopping off Hot Ramseys head was just a negotiating tactic.......which kind of didnt work.

again, its the olden days, same way people played long ball football back in the day until Griff invented the 4-3-3.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

The writers have made it Canon that she forgot about the fleet. That's how it surprised them. They confirmed this in the post episode videos

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Dany thought her dragons couldn't be stopped by the fleet, which was true for Drogon when he decimated the fleet outside Kings landing. Rhaeger obviously wasn't as quick as Drogon, same with Viserion up north.

They only ran into the night after Melisandre gave them swords of fire. Remember, the Dothraki aren't exactly strategists. They won wars by sheer force and weren't easy to control, even for Danys. There was a lot of unsullied, but I do think they exaggerated how many died at Kings Landing. But that's TV land for you.

If Cersie kills Dany at the gates during parlay she would lose a lot of backers and would still have to deal with the Unsullied army, the Dothraki, plus other houses would join the Men of the North and defeat her anyway. If she beats Danys in battle, all houses would have to bend the knee to her. Cersei is evil, but not stupid.

Jon and Tyrion spent time with the Dothraki / Unsullied, it's not ridiculous to imagine that they could learn their language. But that's not really a big plot hole, how many movies do the German soldiers speak English and what-not? You've got to allow characters to understand each other.

The dragons struggling in the snow isn't that hard to believe. The night king was born of dragon glass and could only be killed with dragon glass or Valerian steel, I'm pretty sure that was explained in the show (it may have been in the book only) Don't forget, Danys can't be hurt by fire either. So thats not hard to believe. The not beating the ship's one day and beating them the next is classic tv trope. All it needed was a training montage.

Remember, it's a tv show. Some things are allowed to be skipped over to make it easier to tell the story.
    I don't agree with any of that and nothing in the show really backups these points

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    man, this military tactics thing is a bit lame.

its the olden days, and the soldiers were either a bunch of savages or a bunch of dickless dudes who had a shield and spear each.

thats what they did back in the day, they just charged in and had a lash. it was worth it alone just for the visual of all those torches going out. that looked dope.

and Queen of Queens Cersei knows that there are still some rules of engagement. there was only like 50 dickless blokes there, if she wiped them out when they went for a chat she knew there were a bunch more coming. chopping off Hot Ramseys head was just a negotiating tactic.......which kind of didnt work.

again, its the olden days, same way people played long ball football back in the day until Griff invented the 4-3-3.
    Nah I'm not buying that. That's the biggest thing that annoyed me was that whole battle was stupid as hell.

You have a scene showing all the guys making defense plans. I can't remember exactly who was and wasn't there but roughly Tyrion, Jamie, Varys, Jon, Onion knight. People experienced in battle tactics.
    Tyrion a few seasons earlier pretty much successfully devised a battle plan defending King's Landing against Stannis' fleet against the odds. All these guys are pretty cluey.

I can maybe buy the Dothraki. Maybe they just are that dumb and uncontrollable that they would charge in headfirst.
    But having siege weapons (trebuchets etc) on the front line of your army? Yeah ok.
    Having a big ass castle (you know, those things that people had been building for centuries cause they're really really good at being able to be defended) right behind you, and your enemy is coming to attack you, and deciding that you should come outside to be sporting?
    When they did fall back into the castle, not having any means to repel the undead scaling the walls?
    The dragons going and looking for night king dude instead of just laying waste to the undead hordes even a little? Spending 5 minutes "mowing the grass" as someone put earlier would have been pretty worthwhile you'd think.

Anyway. Largely agree with the sentiment that it was never gonna live up to people's expectations and will be looked back upon more favourably.

I've never watched a single episode of GOT. What's it about ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    I've never watched a single episode of GOT. What's it about ?
    decorative furniture.
    things of that nature.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Having a big ass castle (you know, those things that people had been building for centuries cause they're really really good at being able to be defended) right behind you, and your enemy is coming to attack you, and deciding that you should come outside to be sporting?
    lets not let the Old Knight King off the hook here either.
    his mob attacked from the front, when he knew old Stoner Bran was out the back under the tree with like 6 blokes guarding him (most of who didnt have dicks). Why didnt he just lob in over the back fence while the stink was going on out front? he had a dragon he could have just flown past all of it.

also, as for sitting in the castle and waiting it out, there a was a bunch of dead dudes about to lay seige to the castle. All the humans inside would have eventually died of hunger etc yeah? again, what good were the dickless blokes with one spear on the inside of the castle? they had like one throw over the wall and then would have been like "yo im out of ammo guess ill just chill". They needed to take the fight to the dead dudes. just like when Chief Harragon used to take the big hitups into Spud Carroll.

also also also, what if the Night King was going after Bran because he knew that Bran was gonna be king of kings? Remember how in the Battle of the Bastards, Doctor Strange told Tony Stark (obvs Brans cousin) that there was only one way in 14million they would win?

it all makes perfect sense now doesnt it.
    Seems like I am WRONG

lets not let the Old Knight King off the hook here either.
    his mob attacked from the front, when he knew old Stoner Bran was out the back under the tree with like 6 blokes guarding him (most of who didnt have dicks). Why didnt he just lob in over the back fence while the stink was going on out front? he had a dragon he could have just flown past all of it.

also, as for sitting in the castle and waiting it out, there a was a bunch of dead dudes about to lay seige to the castle. All the humans inside would have eventually died of hunger etc yeah? again, what good were the dickless blokes with one spear on the inside of the castle? they had like one throw over the wall and then would have been like "yo im out of ammo guess ill just chill". They needed to take the fight to the dead dudes. just like when Chief Harragon used to take the big hitups into Spud Carroll.

also also also, what if the Night King was going after Bran because he knew that Bran was gonna be king of kings? Remember how in the Battle of the Bastards, Doctor Strange told Tony Stark (obvs Brans cousin) that there was only one way in 14million they would win?

it all makes perfect sense now doesnt it.
    Not letting him off the hook at all, but I gotta stop ranting somewhere.

All shitty old night king had to do was go hide in a corner and not get got and his horde would have wiped that army and prob humanity. Instead he wanted to be the (anti?)hero.

Not sure about the undead laying siege. I reckon they were running at that castle whether the people are inside or outside it.
    The pointy spear dudes can line the rampart and not let all the zombies just walk over the walls and into the castle.
    I dunno what melee warriors generally do in castle defense, I missed that part of ancient warfare class. But I assume they managed to be useful for something.

If they wanted to take the fight to them, I would have liked to see them come up with something better than "lets all stand outside in formation, then run at them 1/4 at a time and see how the first guys go". I want to feel like their battle plans had more forethought than just making sure they remembered to take their weapons with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If they wanted to take the fight to them, I would have liked to see them come up with something better than "lets all stand outside in formation, then run at them 1/4 at a time and see how the first guys go".
    yeah as someone said earlier those Horsey riding blokes didnt look like the smartest of chaps. and from memory they seemed to make out like just riding up and slashing dudes has served them well in the past.

Also, only Emo boy and a couple other weirdos had really seen the undead in action. He probably tried to tell them how savage they were but lets face it every time Emo boy starts up on one of his rants i fall asleep (dear God that bloke is so miserable). the Horsey guys were all like "nah we good, we'll just do our chargey slashy approach like always".
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    GOT will struggle to get fans to commit to another GOT series. Hopefully Lotr is good
    i dont think this is without merit.
    Breaking Bad launched into Better Call Saul, which is a fantastic show. But it got nowhere near the hype of ratings.
    Id say Breaking Bad (in its day) was similar 'must see TV' (yes, not quite the same ratings but it was the 'thing' at the time).
    I never watched Friends but didnt they try and spin that off too and failed.
    Top Gear is another one.

It will be the same for Marvel Movies. These last 20 odd were a trip. The new Spiderman will do well, as it has established characters. After that, I'd be shocked if any 'new' Marvel movies begin to go close to what the original lot did.

Heck, the biggest and best franchise there ever was*, Star Wars, even deliberately scaled back from releasing a movie every year due to the response of the Solo movie. Things can change real quick, and even though you might get a massive amount of viewers, if its some sort of significant % lower than previous, people are gonna look on it as a failure.
    thats just human nature.

*according to Star Wars nerdy nerdz.
    Seems like I am WRONG

If you’re not watching Chernobyl, you’re missing out. It’s outstanding.

Second the recommendation for Chernobyl.

Very good show.

i dont think this is without merit.
    Breaking Bad launched into Better Call Saul, which is a fantastic show. But it got nowhere near the hype of ratings.
    Id say Breaking Bad (in its day) was similar 'must see TV' (yes, not quite the same ratings but it was the 'thing' at the time).
    I never watched Friends but didnt they try and spin that off too and failed.
    Top Gear is another one.

It will be the same for Marvel Movies. These last 20 odd were a trip. The new Spiderman will do well, as it has established characters. After that, I'd be shocked if any 'new' Marvel movies begin to go close to what the original lot did.

Heck, the biggest and best franchise there ever was*, Star Wars, even deliberately scaled back from releasing a movie every year due to the response of the Solo movie. Things can change real quick, and even though you might get a massive amount of viewers, if its some sort of significant % lower than previous, people are gonna look on it as a failure.
    thats just human nature.

*according to Star Wars nerdy nerdz.
    If it is great, people will follow. Like The Dark Knight trilogy.
    OK

Frasier is probably the most sucessful TV spin off I can think of.

Most of them fail and the ones that don't rarely better the show they spawned from.

Plague mentioned Friends earlier which was absolute trash. The spinoff Joey took trash to another level.

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    If it is great, people will follow. Like The Dark Knight trilogy.
    Yeah but this example is closer to people blindly following from Nolans trilogy to the Zac Snyder movies.
    You can't say they were met with the same enthusiasm can you?

Of course 'If' its good then people will watch. But thats a pretty big IF right now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post

Plague mentioned Friends earlier which was absolute trash. The spinoff Joey took trash to another level.
    Did you ever see the pre-Friends Matt Le Blanc in the Married With Children Spinoff "Top of the Heap"? For some reason they piloted the spinoff as a MWC episode - apart from when they dropped into Al's shoe store, it was Matt Le Blanc and his dad by themselves - and it was mega trash.

Barry is the best show on TV at the moment.

I wont have anyone telling me other than good things about this show.

it gets dark, real dark, but always finds the space for a subtle gag. its an amazingly well made show.
    Bill Hader and Sarah Goldberg are ****ing amazing.
    As for the Fonz, oh geez, utterly brilliant.

If you havent watched it, sort yourself out. quickly.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    If you’re not watching Chernobyl, you’re missing out. It’s outstanding.
    I just watched this and implore everyone to smash thru it. It is truly amazing.
    OK

Season 2 of Happy! is fantastically ****ed up.