Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Well, it appears that a new female golf sensation is doing the social media rounds..
    Paige Spiranac..
    Night putting.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    This Jarrod Lyle news is legit heartbreaking.
    I've followed Jarrod Lyle and his story since my early teens. I played a lot of golf when I was young and this guy, very early on, put the game in perspective for me.

I read this article by Ben Everill, a fellow Aussie writing for the PGA Tour, and feel that it aptly describes the Jarrod, his career and his battle. More importantly, it shows how respected and loved he was both by the players and the wider tour community.

https://www.pgatour.com/tour-insider...er-battle.html

Banned
    3 shot lead going into the final round of the Tour Championship and a string of getting his name on the leaderboard and it is safe to say it would appear the Nike Sex Addict is back

Cant understate this enough but for this bloke to get back to being a gun golfer again is one of the biggest stories ever considering all he has been through

Hopefully he can get that trophy tomorrow morning

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Hopefully he can get that trophy tomorrow morning
    amen.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Come on Tiger!

Banned
    He done it

How this bloke hascome back from 4 years in the wilderness after countless back surgeries is amazing

This is a greater comeback thn the day Floyd Landis temporarily turned the Tour de France around years ago

The Ryder Cup is so much better on European soil, as the dickhead Americans are the minority.
    mind, they still are loud enough that you can hear their dickheadness, but its mostly tolerable.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Hazard scores again.

Aye boys what’s the good word? Anyway got some new wrenches this week looking at getting back into golf, what’s the bets course/options for a bloke who would like to ply in some competitions but mainly social and get a handicap?

Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    Aye boys what’s the good word? Anyway got some new wrenches this week looking at getting back into golf, what’s the bets course/options for a bloke who would like to ply in some competitions but mainly social and get a handicap?
    I ride past East Maitland and Beresfield quite often and they look pretty good for a hit. Haven't been there for years but Morrisett used to be a nice course as well.

Belmonts boring as bat shit with the only challenge being the wind - if it's not blowing too hard it's a piece of piss. If a big southerly is blowing the 1st hole is soul destroying

Newcastle is expensive and takes a bit of effort to get a game there - Steel Works has mozzies that could bring down a single engine Cessna.

Charlestown was designed by goats for goats. It's horrible.

Merewether, I've never played but most golf tragics I know don't rate it very highly.

Sugar Valley is another that's pretty easy to get a game at - short course, very tight...from memory but haven't been there in maybe 30 years.

Cockle Creek / Waratah is probably my favourite course in Newcastle. It's got some great par fives and very fun par 3's - and in general not overly expensive.

I've never played any of the resort courses around the hunter or Port Stephens so others would be better qualified to provide info.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 13-02-2019 at 09:28 PM.

If you want to join a club and play comp, Merewether have some really good packages there designed for most peoples likes/budgets. They def have the most 'younger' players so you dont get stuck with some old fossil enforcing every unknown rule every week.

For a social golfer Waratah is fantastic and is possibly the most accessible to get on at a decent hour.

Dunster is pretty spot on with the rest of his descriptions (I like Merewther though, its fairly narrow and the par 3s are trickier than they look).

Also, get on any and all mailing lists you can for golf shops/companies/courses. the valley resort courses have specials all the time if you can get 2 or 4 players on a weekday it's a fantastic day out for a decent price.. Make the loser the designated driver and get on the piss while you're out there.

Royal Toronto is my course of choice locally, pretty casual and cruisy there not like the stuck-up c*nts I've experience at Waratah. Seriously it's Argenton not Augusta.

Toronto has improved heaps over the last few years but still some work to on a couple of holes, however $13 for 18 holes after 3pm can't be beat in daylight savings. Did hit my first ever hole-in-one on the 15th there the other day as well

Shortland Waters is meant to be re-opening soon and is now my closest course to home so might have to check it out.

My old man is a member at Shortland Waters, i play most times i go back up to Newy.

Membership is reasonable but they're in a bit of financial strife with the Aveo thing so keep that in mind.

The new holes they've put in are completely different to the rest of the course, almost like links. no trees, windy AF and a total blast to play, breaks up the round a bit

Mosquitos weren't too bad this summer but it didn't rain much until recently. probably horrific at present

I play the resort courses with my old man once a month, Kooindah Waters after it's been raining was torture, one of the toughest joints i've ever played. had a ball though hahaa

Found this site listing all the hunter Golf Courses with a bit of a write up on them.

https://www.ausgolf.com.au/guide/region/HunterValley

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    Toronto has improved heaps over the last few years but still some work to on a couple of holes, however $13 for 18 holes after 3pm can't be beat in daylight savings. Did hit my first ever hole-in-one on the 15th there the other day as well
    Bloody hell, congrats man!! That's massive..
    I haven't played the Tronno course in years.. I've got a cousin who still jokingly claims its the best course in the world - all cause he hired clubs there, and they were a brand new set.. Not a hard bloke to please..

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Cockle Creek / Waratah is probably my favourite course in Newcastle. It's got some great par fives and very fun par 3's - and in general not overly expensive.
    I'm in the process of organizing a season launch/Golf day/luncheon for our Football Club at the moment and to say that these guys have been really helpful is and absolute understatement.
    The General Manager is a Football tragic and just seems like a really top bloke, I'm no Golf guru but from my dealings so far with these guys I cannot recommend them enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    Go join a Social Golf Club

Most will play around Newy and the Hunter every 2/3/4 weeks on Sunday mornings

No great start up fees

You turn up

You play and you pay

Semi competitive which will help you get to grip with rules scoring etc

If you like it that much then go join a club

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    Royal Toronto is my course of choice locally, pretty casual and cruisy there not like the stuck-up c*nts I've experience at Waratah. Seriously it's Argenton not Augusta.

Shortland Waters is meant to be re-opening soon and is now my closest course to home so might have to check it out.
    Interesting Dunst listed Morisset but not Toronto. I had always vibed around this area that Toronto was supremely better out of the two.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Interesting Dunst listed Morisset but not Toronto. I had always vibed around this area that Toronto was supremely better out of the two.
    No way...