Quote Originally Posted by Skirt Boy View Post
Well Howard did try to bring in Work Choices. Made it really really hard to have industrial action and so on and son. Those older than 30 should know all about that.

I'll go there. And well. The Libs did cut penalty rates.
Workchoices never took away any of the unions power. It def gave people a reason to 'want' to fend for themselves in private enterprise. But it also 'should' have been the greatest recruitment drive for the unions ever.....but (i dont think) their actual numbers increased. Again, the problem was "we feel screwed, who can we turn to?". and the fact the answer wasnt the union was the bit that troubled me.

as for penalty rates. the amount of money and the amount of people the original 'cut' affect was so minimal it should never have mattered (go look up what they actually wanted to do). but the Libs let Labor dictate the message so they were ****ed.
also, go look up what penalty rates were actually introduced for back in the day. they werent done to pay a shop assistant more f they work on a saturday arvo vs a saturday morning. we live in a 7 day economy. in the same way you shouldnt get slugged extra if you buy your groceries, petrol or coffee on a saturday, we dont need to pay those people more for being there.

then, after all this, go look what Shorten actually did to a bunch of the same people in a CBA when he was boss of the union. he scuttled penalty rates in favour of a better flat rate. i totally agreed with this approach, it made things easier for the employer. but history will show that Bill Shorten was the one that 'actually' cut penalty rates for massive amount of people. but somehow he was always looked upon as a saviour.

again, good to see you back SB. you've always been one of the real ones.