Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Guitars and Instruments (no stairway)

Hey Bon, you got much experience with Mexican Fender Jazz Basses.

I’d been looking for a second hand Japanese Fender for my daughter, but nothing reasonable has come up, just the low end basses.

Now looking at going new, either the Claasic 70’s (https://shop.fender.com/en-AU/electr...132003300.html) or the Geddy Lee (https://shop.fender.com/en-AU/electr...147702300.html).

She played both and loved them, I’m inclined to go the classic 70’s. Does the high mass bridge on the Geddy make that much difference.

Everything else is similar spec except neck shape and slightly better pickups on the Geddy.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Hey Bon, you got much experience with Mexican Fender Jazz Basses.

I’d been looking for a second hand Japanese Fender for my daughter, but nothing reasonable has come up, just the low end basses.

Now looking at going new, either the Claasic 70’s (https://shop.fender.com/en-AU/electr...132003300.html) or the Geddy Lee (https://shop.fender.com/en-AU/electr...147702300.html).

She played both and loved them, I’m inclined to go the classic 70’s. Does the high mass bridge on the Geddy make that much difference.

Everything else is similar spec except neck shape and slightly better pickups on the Geddy.
    I have zero experience with any Fender basses, just their amps..
    How old is she now? The only worry I would have, is spending a lot of money on a bass and having her lose interest (however, I know music runs deep in your fam, so perhaps that's not even an issue)

Just from checking out the two links I'd say the Classic 70's too.. The Geddy Lee looks very similar and I think at this level there wouldn't be a huge difference in tones. I would have thought the high mass bridge would have been more for dealing with picking/plucking real hard and stopping it from going out of tune easily?

Sorry I am not much help, mate.. haha..
    Let me know which one you end up getting her, lucky kid..
    Last edited by Bon; 21-01-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I have zero experience with any Fender basses, just their amps..
    How old is she now? The only worry I would have, is spending a lot of money on a bass and having her lose interest (however, I know music runs deep in your fam, so perhaps that's not even an issue)

Just from checking out the two links I'd say the Classic 70's too.. The Geddy Lee looks very similar and I think at this level their wouldn't be a huge difference in tones. I would have thought the high mass bridge would have been more for dealing with picking/plucking real hard and stopping it from going out of tune easily?

Sorry I am not much help, mate.. haha..
    Let me know which one you end up getting her, lucky kid..
    Ordered the 70's earlier today.

She has been playing bass for two years on a short scale squire. She has outgrown it, and I wanted her to have something decent without going over the top.

The Geddy worried me because the neck was really thin, almost ibanez like. I didnt find it all all comfortable, sound wise it was amazing. The 70's has a bit more meat to hang onto, but still that narrow jazz nut.

To be honest, I kind of want a decent bass at home to be able to record stuff with anyway, so if she does stop playing (unlikely) its all good.

Picked up the Fender Jazz 70's reissue today for my daughter.

Bugger me, it is an awesome instrument. I usually don't buy a guitar before playing, but this thing turned out better than anything we tried beforehand (including some near twice the price). Neck is sexy (feel and look of the wood), sound is typical Jazz Bass.

While I was initially hunting for a Japanese Bass, the Mexican stuff appears to have lifted its game in a big way.

Best thing, my daughter hasn't stopped belting out the Bon Jovi all afternoon.

It doesnt matter if a Fender was made in the USA or Mexico - because either way it was built by a Mexican

Dave Gilmour will be auctioning 120 of his guitars / amps / pedals through Christies this year. [June 20th]

https://www.christies.com/features/D...on-9637-1.aspx

Pay no attention to the estimates as they are ridiculously pessimistic.

The 54 Strat with serial no. #0001 will go for over a million dollars, and his 69 Strat used on DSOTM could possibly hit $2m.

Even the 55 Gold Top listed at $30to50k will go for well over $200k given it's history and use on The Wall.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 30-01-2019 at 02:20 PM.

Bugger me, it is an awesome instrument. I usually don't buy a guitar before playing, but this thing turned out better than anything we tried beforehand (including some near twice the price). Neck is sexy (feel and look of the wood), sound is typical Jazz Bass.

While I was initially hunting for a Japanese Bass, the Mexican stuff appears to have lifted its game in a big way.

Awesome!!!
    Have you learnt "Pretty Fly For A White Guy" on it yet???

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Awesome!!!
    Have you learnt "Pretty Fly For A White Guy" on it yet???
    Unfortunately I’m not allowed to touch it.

I have nailed it on guitar though and will be putting together an Offspring cover band. I was called out and have to take it to it’s ultimate conclusion.

I bought a Mexican Fender Jazz bass about 8 years ago and it is still going strong. Got a cool little 30w Orange amp to play it through a year ago and it sounds great. I have a 200w Randall amp as well but it's a bit of overkill for jamming to The Darkness at home

I visited Ochanomizu (Guitar street) in Tokyo last year and played some very sexy basses which would have set me back a shitload of yen but really they didn't sound that much better!

I was looking at Gumtree and came upon this ad. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/unde...ion/1180737551

Sort of feel sorry for the bloke thinking any of this shit is worth anything let alone $25k.

The guitars are all budget versions and I don't think the album cover paint work is doing anything for their value either.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    I was looking at Gumtree and came upon this ad. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/unde...ion/1180737551

Sort of feel sorry for the bloke thinking any of this shit is worth anything let alone $25k.

The guitars are all budget versions and I don't think the album cover paint work is doing anything for their value either.
    I want to write to the guy and ask if he would sell them individually.. hahaha

But yeah, jokes aside.. $25k for 19 budget guitars that have a picture on them??
    Wtf is he thinking?

New to the house of Dunster. 59 Gretsch G6128T
    Last edited by The Dunster; 12-02-2019 at 03:07 PM.

Nice, sort of makes my new delay pedal purchase seem a bit tight arse.

Nice, sort of makes my new delay pedal purchase seem a bit tight arse.
    Which delay did you get ?

Which delay did you get ?
    Boss DM-2W

I'm new to the world of delay type effects, but it seems pretty nice.

Nice bucket brigade delay. I have a bbe two timer which is a simular design.

Great for slapback effect.

Nice bucket brigade delay. I have a bbe two timer which is a simular design.

Great for slapback effect.
    I'm almost thinking I need two, one for my country tone (don't ask) and one to

Bloody nice looking Gretsch, Dunster!

I don't like to laugh at other peoples expense but near pissed myself reading this ad on Gumtree.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mait...ono/1217618376

I don't like to laugh at other peoples expense but near pissed myself reading this ad on Gumtree.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mait...ono/1217618376
    Wtf...