Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Zone League 1 thread

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Question I have on Wallsend, and I mean no malice here. I was under the impression you guys didn't train last year, is that right? People told me that, and it made me appreciate how well you guys did compared to all the other teams that did train. And if the no training thing was true, is it true you've now got a former state league coach and are training relatively heavily (for your standards)? It just seems to have gone from one end of the spectrum to the other, and I'm just curious how it went down. I just would have assumed that there would have been a big appeal to some of your club men to not train and that's what you previously embraced about the club? So it just seems odd you'd go full bottle now.

Talking about Morisset relegating themselves - I don't fully understand why they'd ask to go from ZPL to ZL1. It doesn't seem to be that drastic a difference to me. I would have thought if any team in ZPL or ZL1 wanted to relegate themselves, it would be due to not being able to field 3 grades? So I guess I'm wondering - are Mory asking to go from ZPL to ZL1 or are they asking to go to ZL2 and only need 2 grades? All hypotheticals, all genuine questions here.

ZPL to ZL1.....

Quote Originally Posted by namwob99 View Post
    This!
    ZPL don't want them either.
    It's football, not s***er!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    Northern???
    they have no say in ZPL...
    cheers
    I have tired to have this conversation with Roundball Enthusiast numerous times and he still doesn't understand
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    I have tired to have this conversation with Roundball Enthusiast numerous times and he still doesn't understand
    How's the pitch for Sunday? We got the ice fans at the ready on the sideline?

We're up on the top field.
    The pitch now runs east to west, cricket pitch has been removed, a heap of top soil has been spread and plenty of TLC has gone into it. It's still not great but it is as soft as it has ever been and a little to soft where the cricket pitch was but it will be fine to play on.

If the unfortunate happens and we have to cancel due to the heat will be having a BBQ back at our sponsor. If this was to happen we would love for all of you to join us to remember a great man.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Its because they all do a shit job, I can never remember who to blame

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Question I have on Wallsend, and I mean no malice here. I was under the impression you guys didn't train last year, is that right? People told me that, and it made me appreciate how well you guys did compared to all the other teams that did train. And if the no training thing was true, is it true you've now got a former state league coach and are training relatively heavily (for your standards)? It just seems to have gone from one end of the spectrum to the other, and I'm just curious how it went down. I just would have assumed that there would have been a big appeal to some of your club men to not train and that's what you previously embraced about the club? So it just seems odd you'd go full bottle now.

Talking about Morisset relegating themselves - I don't fully understand why they'd ask to go from ZPL to ZL1. It doesn't seem to be that drastic a difference to me. I would have thought if any team in ZPL or ZL1 wanted to relegate themselves, it would be due to not being able to field 3 grades? So I guess I'm wondering - are Mory asking to go from ZPL to ZL1 or are they asking to go to ZL2 and only need 2 grades? All hypotheticals, all genuine questions here.
    Last year we did train, well we held training sessions once a week and got about 6-10 people to them (mostly reserve grade players), the training started good but as the coaches (myself and one other guy) were players the discipline dropped during the season and players stopped rocking up to training, which you could see in our results.

Yes we do have Scott Baillie as our head coach this year, Scott replied to an advertisement after the 2016 season and came on board as the coach for this year. The training is heavy at the moment but it is good to get back into a higher standard of training, it is also good to not have to coach this year and just concentrate on trying to play the game.

We also advertised for a coach at the start of the 2016 ZL2 season and got no replies so the I coached again same I they did in 2015 ZL3. A few of the club men that didn't train last year are now back up playing in the NL1 squad and training multiple times a week, I think the reason most of them didn't train is they knew they wouldn't get dropped as we were fighting for promotion and didn't have the quality to threaten their places. I think if we had a proper coach last year then more players would have been to training.

If there are any clubs out there wanting a trial for 3 grades, let me know. We are currently looking for games but we don't have a ground to hold them so would have to go to your ground. Thanks and looking forward to the season.

Quote Originally Posted by beaten favourite View Post
    Cooks Hill have already been told that we're at the bottom of the queue due to having a NEWFM squad. I think they want ZPL teams to be their clubs highest team if that makes sense. So anyone who puts a submission in would go ahead of us, other than Wallsend I suppose.
    I don't see why cooks hill can't go to ZPL, yes I get they have a team in the newfm comp but that comp and the ZPL are run by two different associations and it's not promotion/relegation. You can only go up on application. So I don't see why they can't win or take promotion to the top of the zone comps.

We really have two different comps in our area a two division comp (NPL and newfm) then a 4 comp Zone League. I almost think ZPL needs more love shown to it at least it's something every local club can achieve without breaking the banks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
    All makes sense, thanks for the response. Like I said, credit to you guys for putting such a solid effort in last year and basically not training. I've got no doubt that the ladder would have looked different had you properly trained all year like most others did.

Good luck this year and to yourself enjoy your "break" from coaching and hopefully you get to enjoy the other parts of the club a bit more than normal! It's guys like you that keep our little pub league teams going, keep it up pal.
    OK

I can see both sides of the argument. If we have players that want to take it more seriously and play a higher level they should have a crack at NEWFM and we pick up the blokes that don't make it or don't want to. The association want ZPL to be the main focus of their club theoretically making it more competitive and serious. I know with Cooks Hill so much more resources go into the NEWFM set up and we just do the best with what we get, so i understand it in that sense.

The Cooks Hill players would love to go up and have a crack at ZPL but at the end of the day we're all mates and happy playing wherever they put us!!!

Quote Originally Posted by beaten favourite View Post
    I can see both sides of the argument. If we have players that want to take it more seriously and play a higher level they should have a crack at NEWFM and we pick up the blokes that don't make it or don't want to. The association want ZPL to be the main focus of their club theoretically making it more competitive and serious. I know with Cooks Hill so much more resources go into the NEWFM set up and we just do the best with what we get, so i understand it in that sense.

The Cooks Hill players would love to go up and have a crack at ZPL but at the end of the day we're all mates and happy playing wherever they put us!!!
    I assume if you guys put in and no one else does you would get promoted?

Not sure but I imagine so. I'm not sure we will apply though. That's above my pay grade. I certainly haven't heard anyone talking about lodging an application. With Raymond Terrace & Suburbs pulling out only leaves Stocko, WB and maybe us to fill the spot.

All trial games cancelled for this weekend, due to the weather predicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    All trial games cancelled for this weekend, due to the weather predicted.
    Thats a good call (actually I think its the only call given the forecasts), but I wish I had seen the email before I spent 4 hours stringing out and marking the lines.

So csn cooks hill get promoted or not?
    Last edited by Kicktheball; 09-02-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Cooks hill aren't applying. As beaten favorite said, we went through this last year when here was an opening and he's right, Newcastle football want other clubs pushing for higher leagues, not 1 club clogging it up, plus internally we don't want to compete with newfm player wise, and having 1 comp in between stops that. ZL1 is plenty competitive, and we still haven't won anything in 1st grade since we've been here, so that's the target still!

I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking it, buuuuut if you've got enough players for 3 sides grit ya teeth and have a go and challenge yourself. What a cop out!

Quote Originally Posted by namwob99 View Post
    I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking it, buuuuut if you've got enough players for 3 sides grit ya teeth and have a go and challenge yourself. What a cop out!
    Yeah you're not the only one thinking it.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Yeah you're not the only one thinking it.
    Unfortunately for players at Motown there is history here. Its like Groundhog day again. In 2010 they won everything in the old Zone League 1 and went to ZPL. They lost a number of players (followed Steve Eagleton to Toronto) and had a young side step up and were beaten by Cooks Hill in the ZPL final.

In 2012 after 3 games they lost all bar 2 players from the first grade team and were then getting beaten 7-0 plus each week (some games were 10 plus).

in 2017 they have lost all of the first grade from last year so would be reliant upon Reserve grade (who came last) and their young thirds. They only have the numbers because an all age side is stepping up.

Its easy to say step up - but have you guys forked out $400 plus to get your arse kicked every week.... its bloody demorilising and unnecessary if a more suitable team can be found.

Same thing happened at Westlakes a few years back (I wasn't at the club at that time) I believe, a successful season in ZL2 led to promotion but the majority of the first grade team that led them there left the club. Two years of struggle in League 1 ensued, and it does become difficult when you become ingrained into accepting losses every week because they seem inevitable, so I sympathise. I'm sure the decision to request a regrading was not one taken lightly by the club. Hopefully you guys are able to rebuild around a stable group of players and turn things around as we have been able to.