Page 17 of 105 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Insert Name Here aka The Ownership Thread

The Big man speaks....

$150m mine buy puts Nathan Tinkler back in coal

Sarah-Jane Tasker |
    The Australian |
    May 14, 2014 12:00AM

FORMER coal magnate Nathan Tinkler is back in the resources game in a $150 million deal to buy a Queensland coal asset.

Mr Tinkler, with the backing of US-based investment bank Jefferies Group, a subsidiary of Leucadia National Corp, told The Australian from his Singapore base last night he had purchased Peabody Energy’s Wilkie Creek thermal coalmine.

Pre-empting questions about his financial ability to fund such a deal, Mr Tinkler said there would be a lot of people who would like to be “as broke as me”.

The 38-year-old acknowledged he had been through a tough couple of years but said he had learned his lessons.

“I’ve learnt a lot of lessons in business and a few more personally in the last few years and all of that goes to building character,” he said.

The former billionaire, whose fortunes collapsed as coal markets turned last year, is set to *appear before the Independent Commission Against Corruption in Sydney on Friday, an appearance he said he was looking forward to. “I look forward to appearing at ICAC and setting the record straight,” he said.

“I have nothing to hide at ICAC and I’m looking forward to putting all the rumours to bed.”

ICAC has heard allegations that Mr Tinkler’s Buildev property development group donated $66,000 to a secret Liberal Party slush fund before the March 2011 state election.

The money was *allegedly used to bankroll Newcastle Liberal MP Tim Owen’s successful election campaign.

Mr Tinkler’s previous fortune was built on coal.

He entered the coal market in 2006, aged 30, to buy some NSW coal tenements, an interest he turned into a $400 million-plus windfall. He then bought the Maules Creek coal asset from Rio Tinto in 2009 for $480m, using debt, and when he floated his company Aston Resources a year later, that project was valued by the market at about $2 billion.

Mr Tinkler then sold 10 per cent of his Maules Creek project to Japan’s Itochu for $370m, which valued the asset at $3.75bn. That was followed by a deal in December 2011 in which he merged Aston Resources into Whitehaven Coal, emerging with a 19.4 per cent stake that was valued at about $1bn at the time.

His luck ran out, however, and after doubling down once too often, and with rising bills from his other interests — mostly sport-related — he had to sell out of Whitehaven last year at *almost half of what it was worth when he bought the stake, in order to repay debts.

“It has been a tough time over the last couple of years,” he said.

“I’ve been assigned blame for just about anything that has happened in the industry for the last few years. I’m a bit sick of being its whipping boy.

“I haven’t been treated fairly, but no prizes for giving up. The people who know me have stuck by me and my team have been very supportive and good to me.

“We have a strong record in the coal industry for identifying value and I think we’ve done it again here.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.

Looks like Tinks might have finally found a Pat'nsack buyer too, now he just needs to get through the ICAC hearing in tact then his PR team will start spinning his redemption story.

Nathan Tinkler facing probe after shifting Patinack stock from John Thompson's stable

May 12, 2014

Nathan Tinker is close to selling Patinack Farm to international interests, but is facing a Racing NSW investigation after most of his racing stock was moved out of John Thompson’s stables on Monday.

Thompson confirmed to Fairfax Media that horses which weren’t in full training have left the Randwick stable to go to Patinack properties, leaving it near empty.

“I don’t know that much [about what is going on],” Thompson said. “The horses that are racing will continue their campaigns. All I really know is, I have plenty of empty boxes I have to fill now.”

The sale of Patinack is believed to include all bloodstock and property.

Patinack had a group 3 success at Doomben on Saturday when Pretty Pins won the Chairman’s Handicap, while Peron, which finished midfield in the BTC Cup, also remains in the Brisbane stable in training under Thompson’s guidance.

Racing NSW stewards launched an investigation into where the horses are, after visiting Thompson’s stable on Monday afternoon and finding no horses or staff there.

“Our chief steward Ray Murrihy visited the stable after we received some information, which proved to be credible, and he has launched an investigation,” Racing NSW chief executive Peter V’landys said.

Tinkler has been trying to sell the Patinack Farm for more than a year but it has developed into a soap opera. It included a dispersal sale of bloodstock at Magic Millions in June last year, which turned into a fiasco when Tinkler decided to buy several of the horses back.

Magic Millions officials were forced to withdraw several lots to keep faith with its buying bench.

It has been a drawn-out end to the Patinack Farm empire that launched in spectacular fashion when Tinkler bought hundreds of horse at sales around the world in 2007, spending what has been reported as $150 million.

However, growing financial pressures on Tinkler are believed to be driving this sale.

Thompson was told of the move the horses at the weekend. He has always been loyal to Patinack but his stable has been decimated by the decision. He served as its private trainer for five years before branching out to include horses from outside clients last year. He trained more than 500 winners for Patinack, including four group 1s, the most recent Nechita in the Coolmore Stud Stakes at Flemington on Derby day in 2012.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/horserac...512-zramy.html
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.

Banned
    Seriously this bloke is a ****ing modern day icon.

Can't understand how so many put shit on this bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Can't understand how so many put shit on this bloke.
    Jealousy.

Caaaaaarrrrrnnnnnnn Tinks.

Looking forward to seeing Tinks prove all the doubters wrong.

Onya Tinks.

looking forward to seeing 40 odd lawyers serving subpoenas/writs/invoices on the big marn on Friday when he rocks up at ICAC.

Banned
    Interesting development that he has now got the cash for this.

Seems to put a bit more uncertainty into the ownership issues the Knights have with him defaulting on the recent bank guarantee and the Members able to buy the club back for $1.

Now he is back in the money I assume he can sort that issue out also???

Seems to put a bit more uncertainty into the ownership issues the Knights have with him defaulting on the recent bank guarantee and the Members able to buy the club back for $1.

Won’t have any real impact on the knights buy back other than to enable him to hire solicitors to fight the members club in the courts.

He has still missed the deadlines for the bank guarantee and from the heralds reports the members have already issued the buy back with Thursday the deadline for HSG’s reply.

Going to be a busy couple of days for old Tinks with the ICAC hearing to follow on Friday.

he doesnt care about knoughts & nor should he. pies 1st

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    he doesnt care about knoughts & nor should he. pies 1st
    and 2nd, and 3rd, and 4th, dessert 5th, and pre-bed pie sixth.

Bloody hell could he not have done the entire deal for $ 149 mill and left us a lazy mill for a marquee.

Palmer Out !

second in the dock today at ICAC.

Don't know what the fuss is. So he donated to both sides of politics? A lot of people do.
    So he overpaid the minimum amount? I thought the onus was on the political parties to not accept it.
    Tinks will walk out an even bigger ledge than he walked in (if that's possible).

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Don't know what the fuss is. So he donated to both sides of politics? A lot of people do.
    So he overpaid the minimum amount? I thought the onus was on the political parties to not accept it.
    Tinks will walk out an even bigger ledge than he walked in (if that's possible).
    Guess the fuss is about the fact that donations from a developer are illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    and 2nd, and 3rd, and 4th, dessert 5th, and pre-bed pie sixth.

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Bloody hell could he not have done the entire deal for $ 149 mill and left us a lazy mill for a marquee.

Palmer Out !
    damn hairy palmer

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    Guess the fuss is about the fact that donations from a developer are illegal.
    Please re-read my original post.
    I am of the understanding that the 'illegal' part is on the political party accepting the donation, not the developer donating it.
    Therefore not Tinks' problem.

In other news the big man taking potshots at Jodi Mackay outside ICAC, saying there'll be no crocodile tears from him.
    So glad he's our owner, such a Newy ledge.

plague on the money as usual.

The whole "no donations from developers" is a new law anyway (circa 2009?), and yet to be properly tested in court. A similar law banning donations from unions was struck down.
    This is just a law for NSW elections as well. The same thing doesn't exist at the federal level, so there'd be absolutely no issues if Tinkler did the same thing with Sharon Claydon or whoever.

It's the least you'd expect from the big marn.

Forza Tinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

I notice much of the public media fan fare is all around tinkler but no so much around buildev directors, who were allegedly in on this stuff before old tinks got involved with them.

Also funny how the old "carpet man" is not getting more heat from the press, he registered a third party political organisation in the Newcastle alliance, then proceeded to declare they received no donations to their campaign whilst allegedly keeping the rest of the board members in the dark, surely that's some level of fraud from the Newcastle alliance or the carpet man.

Going to be interesting what old tinks has to say this arvo.

Best reply ever
    "How much do you give to the Greens?" counsel assisting the commission, Geoffrey Watson, SC, said.
    "I use recycled toilet paper, that makes me a hard arse. That's enough for the Greens," Mr Tinkler replied.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/nathan-tin...#ixzz31rxuBbBQ

Apparently Tinks unable to pay wages of Knights players and staff. Know all Ray Warren with the news on run 'n' cuddle.

Edit: Tinks, not think.