Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018/19 Squad

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    I know the Facebook warriors want to cite his goals to games stat but the real stat that matters is his conversion rate from genuine chances afforded to him and that has been very poor this season.
    The year Taggz won golden boot for us, he scored like 1 in 10 chances. And we adored him for it.

The only stat that matters is goals, and Roy has a phenomenal amount for the time he spends actually on the field for us. And like others have said, I struggle to predict we get someone with a better conversion rate.

Plus I don't see Roy any less functional this season than most others in the squad either. It's not an isolated problem.
    OK

Roy's issue is his conversion rate from genuine chances. I know the Facebook warriors want to cite his goals to games stat but the real stat that matters is his conversion rate from genuine chances afforded to him and that has been very poor this season.If we go into next season with Roy as our first choice striker we are aspiring to once again a repeat of this season, mediocrity.

Fold the club if the excuse for not finding a replacement is " its all too difficult ".
    I'm not a facebook warrior but I've been spruiking his stats to provide some points for discussion.

For what it's worth, he played 16 matches last season and 16 matches this season (to date).

17/18 he took 43 shots, 20 were on target and 9 were goals. 2 of those were penalties. That's a 47% on target rate, 21% conversion from all shots.

18/19 he has taken 55 shots, 19 have been on target and he's scored 9 goals. 1 was a penalty. That's 35% on target, 16% conversion from all shots.

And before I'm asked, I don't have the data for the likes of Toivonen, Barbarouses, LeFondre, Keogh but I'd be interested to compare when I have time (or if anyone wants to look it up on A-League website).
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Our goal scoring problems aren't just confined to Roy.
    We should be getting more out of ugarkovic or whoever plays that 'box to box' role.
    We should be getting more from set pieces.
    We should be getting a lot more from our wide strikers.

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Roy has a phenomenal amount for the time he spends actually on the field for us.
    you realise a big part of the reason when he 'isnt' on the field is due to his own shitheadedness right?
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    All the talk on Roy brings up a good point and it's made me change my tune. Does anyone else in this squad look capable of close to 10 goals a season and do we trust the club to bring in someone who can do this consistently. Sadly my answer to both is no and I've realised Roy must stay unless this changes.
    Last year Hoff got 6, Roy got 9, Dimi got 10 and Nabbout got 10 (i think).

so yeah, id trust that if the whole team gets back to playing well, we'll have many many.......ok maybe 2 players able to get into double figures.
    Dimi back to his best, Joey with a full season, Hoff back, Thurgate with extended playing time.

sure, why not.

FWIW, i dont think Roy is hopeless. At the moment I dont think he is value for money based on his playing time, which is mostly due to his (lack of) discipline.

whats his conversion rate like when hes sitting in the stands?
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

If those stats were graphed JP they would be trending south right ?.

If those stats were graphed JP they would be trending south right ?.
    Is that meant to be a dig?
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Absolutely not. No dig at all. Not sure how you come to the inclination i was having a dig.

All those stats you quoted are south of where he was the previous season not north to indicate improvement or status quo to indicate on par with last season, That was my point nothing more nothing less.If one was doing a performance presentation it does go south. Throw in the sitters he missed and i see no reason to keep him. Offering him a deal for next season makes a statement about our ambition for next season unfortunately a bad one. A club with serious ambition to improve on the previous season would not go into the next with the same striker IMO.

Please accept my apologies if you thought i was having a dig, That was certainly not the intention at any point in time.

Absolutely not. No dig at all. Not sure how you come to the inclination i was having a dig.

All those stats you quoted are south of where he was the previous season not north to indicate improvement or status quo to indicate on par with last season, That was my point nothing more nothing less.If one was doing a performance presentation it does go south. Throw in the sitters he missed and i see no reason to keep him. Offering him a deal for next season makes a statement about our ambition for next season unfortunately a bad one. A club with serious ambition to improve on the previous season would not go into the next with the same striker IMO.

Please accept my apologies if you thought i was having a dig, That was certainly not the intention at any point in time.
    But that's the issue? Would you trust the club to get someone better and a full season Roy would be close to 15 goals I reckon

But that's the issue? Would you trust the club to get someone better and a full season Roy would be close to 15 goals I reckon

You are correct i personally do not have faith in this clubs ability to recruit an adequate replacement hence why about a week ago i said those charged with the responsibility off the field with that job description need to move on also if they can no longer add value in doing that job properly. There are plenty including myself who continually call for Gallops head for a just cruising mentality and accepting the same outcome season after season, why should our club be the same where middle of the road is a pass mark. Signing and accepting average is exactly why where we are as a club.

No problem. Thanks for clarifying.

Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

in Roy's defence, I'd take him over Riera any day...

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetfireV8 View Post
    in Roy's defence, I'd take him over Riera any day...
    I'd score more goals in this team than Riera
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

a full season Roy would be close to 15 goals I reckon
    A full season from Roy is probably 27 games too but there's no real evidence we'll get that either.

I am better than Riera and Piavaccari put together and i am knocking on the door of half a century in age.

I am better than Riera and Piavaccari put together and i am knocking on the door of half a century in age.
    There's a name I'd forgotten. Wow...wasn't he bad!

Banned
    Roy's issue is his conversion rate from genuine chances. I know the Facebook warriors want to cite his goals to games stat but the real stat that matters is his conversion rate from genuine chances afforded to him and that has been very poor this season.If we go into next season with Roy as our first choice striker we are aspiring to once again a repeat of this season, mediocrity.

Fold the club if the excuse for not finding a replacement is " its all too difficult ".
    Bang on

For anyone watching the Shithole Derby, that Giancarlo Gallifuoco in DM was quality. Plays as a CB or DM, can spray a forward pass very well and has a better touch than almost everyone on our team. He's only back as an injury replacement for them but I reckon we should start sniffing around him to bring him here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.