Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 National Premier League thread

Quote Originally Posted by GO AWAY View Post
    Unless you go play for edgeworth, huge faith in youth....... nek minute...,four or five minor premierships ? Other clubs give youth a go like zany they may be up higher.
    Give me Josh Evans and 10 planks of wood and I'll win you a Premiership

Quote Originally Posted by GO AWAY View Post
    Unless you go play for edgeworth, huge faith in youth....... nek minute...,four or five minor premierships ? Other clubs give youth a go like zany they may be up higher.
    How long has Zane been the head coach for? Did his faith in youth bring immediate results?
    I've only followed local football for a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    How long has Zane been the head coach for? Did his faith in youth bring immediate results?
    I've only followed local football for a couple of years.
    Instead of throwing huge cash at all these has beens and never will be's why doesn't one club offer that pot of gold to Zaney and see if they can develop the club. Everyone has a price

Zaney has done brilliant with the youth. But if anyone thinks they are not paying top dollar for Josh Rose, McBreen, Evans, Smith , Fabrizzio and Keanu are kidding themselves. Throw in Wheeler and Holtz and there is a world of experience there.
    What Zane does better than any other coach is in the way he rotates his young players in and out of the starting side, and 9 times out of 10 he seems to pick the right player at the right time

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Zaney has done brilliant with the youth. But if anyone thinks they are not paying top dollar for Josh Rose, McBreen, Evans, Smith , Fabrizzio and Keanu are kidding themselves. Throw in Wheeler and Holtz and there is a world of experience there.
    What Zane does better than any other coach is in the way he rotates his young players in and out of the starting side, and 9 times out of 10 he seems to pick the right player at the right time

You forgot over recent years
    Moriyasu
    Sanders

Bizzarri and Cavaliere

None of those are playing for nothing

And most of Edgeworth youth that everyone goes on about are ex Jets or other clubs

I’ve said before that Zane is best coach in the NNSW NPL but it helps to have some of those names on your roster

Quote Originally Posted by The Hacker View Post
    Instead of throwing huge cash at all these has beens and never will be's why doesn't one club offer that pot of gold to Zaney and see if they can develop the club. Everyone has a price

Now that would be interesting

Most clubs couldn’t handle Zane, he brings a culture he demands

And to be fair Zane couldn’t handle most clubs, to much politics and external interruptions, he doesn’t do these well

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hacker View Post
    Because in a comp where there is no relegation as Northern are too incompetent to have it and they are playing for a trophy and 10k then that would make way too much sense when you can piss tens and hundreds of thousands of junior players rego fees down the drain to pay your full of mercenary player seniors

What has relegation/no relegation got to do with that. Are you saying Zane would have gone to another club if there was relegation?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by De-Champ View Post
    What has relegation/no relegation got to do with that. Are you saying Zane would have gone to another club if there was relegation?
    What I am saying is there are no consequences of failure and the reward for success is so small

This being the case why are clubs spending 100s of thousands on player wages for mercenaries

Not a great deal of logic

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post

100k spent on there team last few seasons. Known fact

1st season 2015

Did the double 2015
    Did the double again in 2016
    Won the premiership in 2017 lost the GF
    Won the premiership in 2018 lost the GF
    Came 3rd won the GF

Quote Originally Posted by Football lover View Post
    1st season 2015

Did the double 2015
    Did the double again in 2016
    Won the premiership in 2017 lost the GF
    Won the premiership in 2018 lost the GF
    Came 3rd won the GF
    He has done an amazing job. Would love to see him get some sort of opportunity with the Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by Beppe View Post
    He has done an amazing job. Would love to see him get some sort of opportunity with the Jets.
    I wonder if you could argue that Zane is more deserving of Jets Youth role than McBreen?

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    What I am saying is there are no consequences of failure and the reward for success is so small

This being the case why are clubs spending 100s of thousands on player wages for mercenaries

Not a great deal of logic
    100s of thousands on player wages.....who you trying to kid.

Quote Originally Posted by De-Champ View Post
    100s of thousands on player wages.....who you trying to kid.
    I read it to mean in aggregate not per club which is reasonable. But I think it's very possible for a club to spend 100k or more in a season over 20 games or so - it's less than $500 per player average.

It's not rational - but it is possible.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 18-09-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    I read it to mean in aggregate not per club which is reasonable. But I think it's very possible for a club to spend 100k or more in a season over 20 games or so - it's less than $500 per player average.

It's not rational - but it is possible.
    You can add the FFA success to Zane’s record as well have only missed Round 32 once in his 5 years there.
    As for clubs expenditure some are near $150K per season. It’s easier to work out who they are. A number of clubs are now playing high profile players per week win/lose/draw. Unlike the old days where you just got paid a win. It doesn’t take much to add up when you have 3 or 4 players on $800-$1000.

100k spent on there team last few seasons. Known fact
    Rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by JettyJet View Post
    Rubbish.
    Serious. Players stick around cause they enjoy winning things. Zany won’t pay players huge overs unless they are worth it i Guarantee you

Serious. Players stick around cause they enjoy winning things. Zany won’t pay players huge overs unless they are worth it i Guarantee you
    The fact that the costs of running the teams is greater than the prizes on offer for winning suggests everyone in the competition is being paid overs.

I think it would be difficult to put a definite figure on each squads budget based on external factors also. A lot of players move to clubs with external add-ons like job promises or accomodation, for example. I struggle to think of a club in NPL or even the league under it in this town that haven't in the last 10 years negotiated for a player and tied in a job offer to that, however formally that offer was related.

Speaking about Edgy specifically, here is a Herald article from 2 years back stating one of their players worked for a clubman:
    https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...-us-your-news/
    A stonemason by trade, Sanders is working at Edgeworth treasurer Warren Mills’ Newcastle Sheetmetal business and hopes to stay in Australia for another year or two.
    And here is an article from today stating a player lived with a clubman:
    https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...-hero/?cs=6188
    He's lived with us, and he's a great kid
    I would be surprised if there weren't articles of similar specs for every club in the NPL. And I think it's great clubs are able to do these kind of things. But I'm just stating these kind of additionals would skew any hard line figure anyone attempted to put on a squad budget nowadays.
    OK