Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019/2020 Striking Options?

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    i would accept this argument from the club if they maybe looked a little further afar for visa players than Ernies old squaddies.

there are way better players out there than Ridenton.
    esp when we have adequate cover in that spot anyway.

the club certainly doesnt make this easy on themselves thats for sure.
    What I prefer about Ridenton over others in our squad is we don't need to offer his brother and sister contracts as a package deal for his services.

Get rid of Roy & Vargas

That leaves you with Dimi at CAM & Jair on the wing who should get more then one season and see if it makes a difference

Sign Krishna which takes up the other winger spot and leaves us with 2 visa spots, one of which if we got then money should be used to sign a marquee striker

we have Kaine, Joey & Hoff as our main backup attackers. Behind those two are Thurgate and we should move on Kosta and sign someone with a bit more promise
    Last edited by Mark325; 25-02-2019 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    Get rid of Roy & Vargas

That leaves you with Dimi at CAM & Jair on the wing who should get more then one season and see if it makes a difference

We'll be signing Krishna hopefully and he'll be a starting winger as well so then we only have to focus on a starting striker. We'll have two internationals at that point, if we got money sign a marquee striker

we have Kaine, Joey & Hoff as our main backup attackers. Behind those two are Thurgate and we should move on Kosta and sign someone with a bit more promise
    Keep jair? have you been drinking? You dont hand out contracts to players who dont perform
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Keep jair? have you been drinking? You dont hand out contracts to players who dont perform
    Yes we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Banned
    Explain how Jackson got resigned
    Explain how Vujica got resigned
    Explain the 10 years we kept Kanta
    Explain the 12 years we kept BK

We have also locked Boogaard in for the future as well

This is what we do

Classic Jets

I'm down to keep jair on the basis that he's performed semi well these past handful of games and mentioned that earlier in the season he had a slight injury which was hampering his quality

for an international like him i'm down for him to get one more year and see how he goes, i'm not gonna go down swinging saying it's a must do but i don't think it's a bad idea

I'm down to keep jair on the basis that he's performed semi well these past handful of games and mentioned that earlier in the season he had a slight injury which was hampering his quality

for an international like him i'm down for him to get one more year and see how he goes, i'm not gonna go down swinging saying it's a must do but i don't think it's a bad idea
    Don't worry about young Stanny. He had a rough football day yesterday.

I agree with you. I'm happy to give imports 2 years so they can settle in and find their feet. Plus, he arrived unfit/injured (classic Jets) and has started to look better this month.

Also, I definitely don't trust our scouts to find anyone better. Considering the calibre on players we've resigned lately, Jair is so far down the list of problems we have next year it's not funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post

I agree with you. I'm happy to give imports 2 years so they can settle in and find their feet. Plus, he arrived unfit/injured (classic Jets) and has started to look better this month.

Also, I definitely don't trust our scouts to find anyone better. Considering the calibre on players we've resigned lately, Jair is so far down the list of problems we have next year it's not funny.
    The other thing is it looks like he gives a shit.

His unbridled joy when he's scored is almost enough to make me want to see him go round again.

Get rid of Roy & Vargas

Sign Krishna which takes up the other winger spot and leaves us with 2 visa spots, one of which if we got then money should be used to sign a marquee striker

Joey and Hoff are not strikers.
    Kaine could be an option, but it would be risky to rely on him as our main striker.
    I'd give Roy the chance of playing a full season, hopefully with some more consistency in the service he receives. Yes he's had a few shockers, but remember Bobo last year? It's a matter of giving him more chances. If he had a conversion rate of 80%, he'd be playing in the epl.

I'm a big fan of Krishna but his age concerns me. Some guys with speed to burn like him can do it well into their 30's. But others, simply lose the speed overnight without warning and are never the same player without it.

If he was technically brilliant like a Totti or Giggs... and so on it wouldn't be a concern. But speed really is the key with Krishna.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    I'm a big fan of Krishna but his age concerns me. Some guys with speed to burn like him can do it well into their 30's. But others, simply lose the speed overnight without warning and are never the same player without it.

If he was technically brilliant like a Totti or Giggs... and so on it wouldn't be a concern. But speed really is the key with Krishna.
    You are worried about us signing a 31 year old yet we just gave a middle age man a 2 year deal in Topor and we have also resigned old man Moss??

Quote Originally Posted by mic22 View Post
    Joey and Hoff are not strikers.
    Kaine could be an option, but it would be risky to rely on him as our main striker.
    I'd give Roy the chance of playing a full season, hopefully with some more consistency in the service he receives. Yes he's had a few shockers, but remember Bobo last year? It's a matter of giving him more chances. If he had a conversion rate of 80%, he'd be playing in the epl.
    When I said as attacking options I meant wingers and strikers. Hoff & Champness as backup wingers and Kaine as backup to whoever our striker is.

If we keep roy for another season I’m not gonna be mad but I won’t be happy. Not moving players on under the context that we probably can’t get better is silly. For me, roy looked phenomenal at the start of last year and hasn’t looked like that same player since that injury. Has he still scored some goals, of course he has but he’s not someone we should be relying on anymore and I think we’ve seen enough of him to know if keeping him on is worth it or not

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post

Agreed. Many have fared better in there second season.

Let Vargas and Roy go combine that money to go after a killer #9 and Dimi to 10. If we are to continue with Dimi it needs to be in the 10 role.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    You are worried about us signing a 31 year old yet we just gave a middle age man a 2 year deal in Topor and we have also resigned old man Moss??
    Topor is one of the fittest, fastest, and most physically sound athletes in any code of football in Australia.

Krishna is not in the same league - not many are.

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Agreed. Many have fared better in there second season.

Let Vargas and Roy go combine that money to go after a killer #9 and Dimi to 10. If we are to continue with Dimi it needs to be in the 10 role.
    If Vargas and Roy are let go it will be to save money - not to reinvest it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    If Vargas and Roy are let go it will be to save money - not to reinvest it.
    It's not really related, but I still think related.. I found it interesting either way what Arsene Wenger recently said about Mesut Ozil. And I definitely at the very least relate it to this scenario that we aren't going to be instantly entitled to the same investment if we let these guys go.

Wenger, speaking after being honoured with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the Laureus World Sports Awards, said: “I feel that the length of the contract has nothing to do normally with the selection of the team. But sometimes there are special cases. Most of the time now we think when we sign a player for five years we have a good player for five years. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that they practise, they play their best. Because they might be in their comfort zone.

“He has a contract but the problem is that, if you want to buy a player like him, you have to spend £100m. And to maintain the value of the player, beyond the Özil case, it is more about the way football is structured.

“To buy players of top, top quality you need £100m. So the decision you have to make is whether you re-sign the player, who costs us nothing, or do we have the money to buy a new player?”
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...t-zone-arsenal
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    It's not really related, but I still think related.. I found it interesting either way what Arsene Wenger recently said about Mesut Ozil. And I definitely at the very least relate it to this scenario that we aren't going to be instantly entitled to the same investment if we let these guys go.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...t-zone-arsenal
    Good post. Makes perfect sense and definitely on topic.

Difference being I guess that generally in the A-League there aren't transfer fees, so there isn't that initial lump sum cost in obtaining a new player that there is overseas. Unless you include things such as scouting, player relocation, research, medicals, negotiations etc. There still are "costs" involved in a new player, but how these compare to the salary costs of players I'm not sure.

Staff turnover costs the Australian economy over $4.2 billion a year but nobody ever thinks twice about it.

I would imagine the cost of a "player clearout" would be astronomical. Pay out players contracts, scout for new ones, deal with and pay agents etc (Griff and Lawrie at minimum have to travel). When you sign a player you have to look at relocation (the whole family if there is one), find them a place to live, lease a car, kit them out, pay for visas if needed, put the kids in school, maybe find the wife a job and probably lots more if you think about it.

It is not a simple case of get rid of X, Y and Z and replace with A, B and C at zero cost.

I think we can safely say Ronnie and Jair will be gone. Reckon Roy will be resigned which means we need a top RW with Dimi playing 10 but I'd also buy another 10 if Dimi plays like this season again