Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 2019 FFA Cup

Did anyone else notice how good the corners were kicked by both Olympic and Maitland last night ? Every single one of them landed in good areas.
    Should get the players down to Jets training and give Dimi some pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Did anyone else notice how good the corners were kicked by both Olympic and Maitland last night ? Every single one of them landed in good areas.
    Should get the players down to Jets training and give Dimi some pointers.
    Yep, me and my mates had that conversation last night

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    8-1 is a pretty significant gap
    They are a bottom club in NL1. But they did beat Adamstown 3-0 a few weeks back with 10 men from memory and beat Cessnock who beat Lake Macquarie so where does that put your significant gap theory. Edgy beat another bottom team in NL1 New Lambton 2 - 0 and just beat Westy late and then Edgy beat Magic 4-0 the gap isn't that great anymore any NL1 club with an off season to prepare can compete in NPL, its been proven. It's a non issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontknowmuch View Post
    They are a bottom club in NL1. But they did beat Adamstown 3-0 a few weeks back with 10 men from memory and beat Cessnock who beat Lake Macquarie so where does that put your significant gap theory. Edgy beat another bottom team in NL1 New Lambton 2 - 0 and just beat Westy late and then Edgy beat Magic 4-0 the gap isn't that great anymore any NL1 club with an off season to prepare can compete in NPL, its been proven. It's a non issue.
    Also worth noting Adamstown, Valentine and Lakes which you mentioned are the three bottom clubs in the NPL.

I also don't know enough about these NPL vs NL1 games how full-strength either side were. Were the NL1 teams full strength and NPL teams using a mix of fringe players, or were they all mostly full strength?

My significant gap theory stays at 8-1 is a pretty significant gap.

It depends on your definition of compete, but I don't agree it has been proven particularly considering we would be talking over an entire season and not just one-off games, a lot of the time held midweek.

I wholeheartedly agree that it is a non issue.
    OK

Also worth noting Adamstown, Valentine and Lakes which you mentioned are the three bottom clubs in the NPL.

I also don't know enough about these NPL vs NL1 games how full-strength either side were. Were the NL1 teams full strength and NPL teams using a mix of fringe players, or were they all mostly full strength?

My significant gap theory stays at 8-1 is a pretty significant gap.

It depends on your definition of compete, but I don't agree it has been proven particularly considering we would be talking over an entire season and not just one-off games, a lot of the time held midweek.

I wholeheartedly agree that it is a non issue.
    Read what you wrote, you based your Significant Gap statement on the basis of one result now you are saying it should be not based on just 'one-off games'.

Move on , obvious you have no idea.

8-1 is a pretty significant gap
    I went to the game.
    Nerves and a couple of errors saw Kahibah down by 2 very quickly but then for the remainder of the first half Kahibah were the better team. The Valo goal keeper had a busy game and was on form. Second half started much the same until Valo got a third against the run of play. Kahibah shifted to a back 3 to chase the game then had two significant injuries, including one that looked like a deliberate elbow to the back of the head that left blood everywhere and the Kahibah player out of the game. I had a great view of it and was really surprised that the Valo player wasn't sent off.

Three at the back, 2 injuries and chasing the game saw Valo score 5 in the last 10 to 15 minutes and run away with it. The score wasn't a true reflection. At 2-1 at half time, I thought Kahibah might get them.

Credit to Kahibah for not parking the bus and giving it a damn good shot.

Big difference between the teams: finishing. Valo took every chance they had. Kahibah found the keeper too often and it cost them.

The gap is closing between NPL and NL1 (refer to the Magic v South Cardiff match) in one off encounters.

I think we need two NPL comps of 8 teams each, playing 3 rounds. We don't have enough talent for all the teams we currently have in both comps.
    Last edited by Hunter403; 12-06-2019 at 02:56 PM.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    Valo result shows a massive gulf from NPL to League one and before anyone questions that, have a think about it.
    Do we consider how South Cardiff only lost to Magic 2-1 when thinking about the gulf between the two sides as well? Won't mention that Broadmeadow needed to rely on soft penalties given by the refs to get both of those goals
    Last edited by Goatscheese; 12-06-2019 at 09:08 PM.

Edgy beat Valentine 5nil tonight, another pretty significant gap
    OK

Edgy beat Valentine 5nil tonight, another pretty significant gap
    Absolutely, there is only enough quality in the area for 8 x NPL teams, let them play each other 3 times. Promotion from League 1 is too risky, before everyone bangs on about Cooks Hill have a look where Lakes are ATM, the same will happen to Cookers.

Absolutely, there is only enough quality in the area for 8 x NPL teams, let them play each other 3 times. Promotion from League 1 is too risky, before everyone bangs on about Cooks Hill have a look where Lakes are ATM, the same will happen to Cookers.
    We just don't have the numbers or the facilities in NNSW for 22 or so premier clubs

2 divisions of 8 teams playing each other 3 times with promotion and relegation to follow in a few years (after evaluation of playing standards) but only for the 3 senior grades.
    Youth all in one pot split into 2 groups with no promotion and relegation but the pots being mixed each season. Play each other 3 times.
    SAP or approved equivalent compulsory for all clubs in both divisions.

In the youth, there will be some very lopsided results until the SAP kids come through. Say 4 years, with the competitions tightening up from under 13 upward each year as the SAP training takes hold.

Why no promotion for youth?

Until u16, whilst competitive, it is still about development. Additionally, imagine a situation where a club comes last in NPL1 and gets relegated but all their youth teams are near or at the top of the the table. If those youth teams were relegated, those kids would walk. Keeping the kids in the clubs also allows clubs to plan for the future, eg our 14s and 15s are really strong and MAY take us back up in 5 or 6 years so lets plan. It also allows for clubs to develop some club spirit or loyalty. I know that my son's NPL club pay very little attention to their youth teams and the same can be said of several others.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

What a draw for Maitland

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    What a draw for Maitland
    I heard it was rigged as the Mariners couldn't afford to pay for a plane or coach to get the players to the match.

Quote Originally Posted by NUGUNS View Post
    I heard it was rigged as the Mariners couldn't afford to pay for a plane or coach to get the players to the match.
    Magic the winners again !!

Why would they play at Magic park?

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    I did hear a rumour that it could be played there.. Not sure why..

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    Heard a deal has been done with Edgy this time round.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I did hear a rumour that it could be played there.. Not sure why..
    200 Lux lights required for state league and 500 lux requirement from Fox to broadcast the game.
    Maitland does not have a football venue that meets this standard.
    Unless Council pay for lighting to be brought in it's a no go for a real home game.

Why wouldn't they play at Maitland Showground?

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    Why wouldn't they play at Maitland Showground?
    The grounds terrible - then who is going to pay for security, toilets.... and so on...... it's just not feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    The grounds terrible - then who is going to pay for security, toilets.... and so on...... it's just not feasible.
    Maitland No1 Sportsground is preferred option. Great ground with new facilities.

Issue is the lighting but their hoping council helps out with portable lighting.