Page 46 of 72 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Test Cricket aka real cricket

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    if you're looking at numbers alone as well, i think adam voges has the 3rd highest average over people that have scored more than 1000 runs at test level
    You go put that stat with your ****ing assist stat for football man, take that ****ing stat and sit its ass in a dark corner and tell it to face the ****ing wall until you tell it otherwise then leave the room and get on a plane so that stat never shows its stupid ass face again in public.

Oh and **** Adam Voges.

Also Kohli is pretty much my favourite sportsperson to watch at the moment.

Just brilliant, and serves it up.
    Like Trump with a willow.

have been a paid up member of the Virat Kohli fanclub ever since he flipped off the crowd at the SCG in Tendulkar's last series in 2012

homie is one of the greatest chasers in ODI cricket and will go down as one of the best ever for mine

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    When I was growing up playing Mark Waugh was considered the best technique in Oz. Everyone always pointed to him as the benchmark.
    (Correct me if wrong but) he got 20 test centuries and struggled through the last couple.
    Steve Smith and David Warner are both on about 17 each already.

Quite amazing.
    Differences in pitch and bats aside, its extremely possible for "better" batsman to perform worse than lesser talents. One of the fascinating things about cricket and batting in particular is there are many different attributes that you can call upon to succeed. If you want to just look at raw talent, you don't need to go much further than the T20 competition - the distance some of the blokes can hit the ball, the hand eye coordination to pull off some of the shots is outrageous. Would you call any of them better bats than people like Langer, Lehman, Chris Rogers etc. Even at local club level you can see huge disparities in performance between blokes who are obviously far superior in talent to "battlers" who outscore them week in week out.

And yes I realise "talent" isn't quite the same as "technique", but I thought the point was relevant anyways

edit: and yes Kohli is a freak. His play through cover is amazing to watch - he has the wrists of a god and bangs fours through there off balls that don't deserve it at all

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Yeah well what can you even coach anyone to bat like Smith (yeh just plant your feet and have a whack.....oh and play baseball to get your eye in son).

Before my time but as you mentioned with pitches and bats jeez the likes of Border, Miandad and Sir Vic must have been a cut above. Frightening how they'd go today too.
    Geez - imagine Viv Richards, Ian Botham or Clive Lloyd with a big bat today!

And Mark Waugh.....once got a century at the Maitland 10 over comp that used to run. Could hit when he needed to.

I'm not old enough to have seen Bradman play but Gary Sobers, Viv Richards, and Greg Chappell were well ahead of anyone currently playing. I think the bowling and fielding today has improved though - and that's because the pitches demand it from the bowlers and gift it to the fielders.

Chappel, Richards, and Sobers had averages over 50 on terrible pitches against some lethal fast bowlers. Someone like Smith would be lucky to avg 30 back then - and that's being kind.

Banned
    As for the old timers out there.

To say they are going to go a year better in today's game isn't necessarily true.

For a start the old timers were able to hide away from opponents for the most part.
    Now a days with TV computers etc a detailed dossier can be used to pick apart a batsmen technique.

In says gone by that was never really the case where opponents had to use memory and word of mouth to make up plans for your Somerset bradman Gavaskars etc

Banned
    As for Mark Waugh his stats don't show his abilities truly.

The amount of times he got out at 60 or 70 when he just got himself out was phenomenal

Bloke just took it easy at times where as his brother busted his arse to achieve and never give away his wicket.

Mark Waugh is probably the best batsmen in this country in the last 25 years to not get the acclaim he deserves

Smith is quality and would score in any era.

We lack a full quota of quality batsman and fall in a heap on swinging pitches.

Our bowlers are only effective on some pitches and the best ones seem to break down more often.

Are we picking our best team?

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    As for the old timers out there.

To say they are going to go a year better in today's game isn't necessarily true.

For a start the old timers were able to hide away from opponents for the most part.
    Now a days with TV computers etc a detailed dossier can be used to pick apart a batsmen technique.

In says gone by that was never really the case where opponents had to use memory and word of mouth to make up plans for your Somerset bradman Gavaskars etc
    Viv Richards played test cricket and limited overs matches for 17 years without a helmet on some very fast and green pitches with unpredictable bounce.
    Hence, it doesn't take a computer and a statistician to work out the bloke had no weaknesses. His weaknesses were off the pitch not on it.
    Today's batsmen are pussies and would shit themselves if they had to play in the 60's, 70's, or 80's with fast tracks or uneven bounce, and with not much protection.

Smith isn't even at the level of Ponting or Border, let alone Greg Chappell.
    He may be in the future. But he has a long way to go.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 30-12-2016 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Yeah but the bets on the subcontinent were all placed on the first innings - if they are chasing 120 to win in either of the next two tests put your cash on Oz.
    Geez I wish I'd listen to myself sometimes.

fixed

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    fixed
    Any ideas on what they were paying at start of day 5??

You don't even have to be smart to think that they were trying to loose

They made a flat wicket look hard

straya traded at a high of 34 on betfair, dunno how much was traded though

The idea of being a professional is to make as much money as you can. I really don't see any difference between playing to win or playing to lose because the reason for becoming a professional in the first place is to make money.
    Welcome to capitalism kiddies.

Note though - I'll be out for blood if any jockey on any of my six bets tomorrow fails to win and yet still manages to cross the line on a horse with fur left on it.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 30-12-2016 at 08:02 PM.

They "Pak"ed it in. We are still strugglers but that was a decent game

The amount of times he got out at 60 or 70 when he just got himself out was phenomenal

Bloke just took it easy at times where as his brother busted his arse to achieve and never give away his wicket.

Mark Waugh is probably the best batsmen in this country in the last 25 years to not get the acclaim he deserves
    I used to love watching M Waugh bat, would and could watch all day long.
    Amigos Aarau

ability is useless if you dont use it to the fullest.

Yes, had all the skills and more but if he had more heart like steve then he would have deserved more credit. Ill give the hard worker who reaches these heights more kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    ability is useless if you dont use it to the fullest.

Yes, had all the skills and more but if he had more heart like steve then he would have deserved more credit. Ill give the hard worker who reaches these heights more kudos.
    Hard work leading to success is the myth of neo-liberalism Hawk. Junior didn't lack heart, nor did he work less on his game - he just wasn't able to focus / concentrate as well as his brother.

The science show us that with respect to twins the oldest twins more often than not are gifted hierarchy into their families and the younger twin is not.
    We also know that a child's perception of how they fit into the family unit influences how they perceive themselves and how they interact with others.
    Firstborns [or those perceived to be oldest] tend to have higher IQ's / more drive in life, and younger twins tend to be more relaxed even irresponsible according to many studies.

Hence, Mr and Mrs Waugh probably decided which brother had more success on the field more so than anything within the brothers control.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 31-12-2016 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Hard work leading to success is the myth of neo-liberalism Hawk. Junior didn't lack heart, nor did he work less on his game - he just wasn't able to focus / concentrate as well as his brother.

The science show us that with respect to twins the oldest twins more often than not are gifted hierarchy into their families and the younger twin is not.
    We also know that a child's perception of how they fit into the family unit influences how they perceive themselves and how they interact with others.
    Firstborns [or those perceived to be oldest] tend to have higher IQ's / more drive in life, and younger twins tend to be more relaxed even irresponsible according to many studies.

Hence, Mr and Mrs Waugh probably decided which brother had more success on the field more so than anything within the brothers control.
    A la Griff twins?