Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: All-purpose 2014 World Cup Brazil Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Overall, this tournament has been fantastic. I thought, given the climate, teams would sit back and just pass it around and there'd be very few goals.

How wrong I was. Most teams have come here wanting to attack. I expect that will subside come the later stages of the tournament, but the goals per game ratio have certainly shut a few non-football fans up.
    Great advertisement for the game.
    Housemate who was very anti-football (didn't know this before) prior to my influence, is now waking up at 5am to watch games. A lot of people I work with are League fans, and always whinge about lack of goals, no they're commenting on how entertaining games are. Small demographics, but the next 9 months in Australia has potential to recruit a number of new fans. With the world cup being so attacking and entertaining, Villa and a few other hopefully playing in the league, and Asian cup we can gain quite a few. (Hopefully the asian teams don't bring their diving and carry on).

I hate to tempt fate. But if we can get a result against Spain, could do wonders.

Ticos make ital look like cheap hoars. Press defence and one touch playout from the back is perfection. refs keep looking after the big teams, cheilini hack in the box let go but if its aus pen and red card ref knts.

Eng are jokes, slow predictable and weak at the back. should make em walk home. Wish they were in our group cause we’d do those twats.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by la bazzle View Post
    Lol England by the way, sing about the planes in WWII some more lololol rubbish since 66
    aren't you like half english?
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Swiz weren’t allowed to play against frogs, penalised if they got to close thus all the space. French were allowed to do what they wanted. Potential good game ruined thanks kvnt in blue. btw french way to much class
    Last edited by hawk; 22-06-2014 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Great advertisement for the game.
    Housemate who was very anti-football (didn't know this before) prior to my influence, is now waking up at 5am to watch games. A lot of people I work with are League fans, and always whinge about lack of goals, no they're commenting on how entertaining games are. Small demographics, but the next 9 months in Australia has potential to recruit a number of new fans. With the world cup being so attacking and entertaining, Villa and a few other hopefully playing in the league, and Asian cup we can gain quite a few. (Hopefully the asian teams don't bring their diving and carry on).

I hate to tempt fate. But if we can get a result against Spain, could do wonders.
    Good post

parksey and gallaway's stillborn child la bazzle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    aren't you like half english?
    I'm bloody strayan mate

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Small demographics, but the next 9 months in Australia has potential to recruit a number of new fans. With the world cup being so attacking and entertaining, Villa and a few other hopefully playing in the league, and Asian cup we can gain quite a few. (Hopefully the asian teams don't bring their diving and carry on).
    it may be but I feel the slow take up of english wog ball in this country is due to the new branding and professional development of the game and a slow cultural shift. but save this chat for later. what were the only 2 team ball sports in this town in the 1880's?

Spain should regain form very soon
    Last edited by hawk; 22-06-2014 at 12:28 AM.

How good were France like? Jesus they'll take some stopping, i still can't bring myself to "support" them though despite a cuple of toon players starting for them. Anyway Debuchy at least will probably be away after the world cup

Lol England by the way, sing about the planes in WWII some more lololol rubbish since 66
    We might only have one star above the badge but it's one more than you.

iran arg great game. Iran on the break nearly had 3 goals. Now im no fan of Iran but why no pen. thats because the seeded teams are still protected cvnts by the cheatin refs. Iran defended well and within the rules call it negative but effective. Arg were very patient and stayed positive, excellent finish by messi
    Minor note iran subs were urged to run off and did when arg finally got in front dimaria told the ref to fk off when asked to jog off. This tourney is turning into fking joke that offers no chance for a weak team to possibly play fair and create an upset. No wonder the same teams make the finals. So called best teams are not winning on merit is drivng me insane. I wonder if theres some mad brazilians who are willing to fix fifa officals
    Last edited by hawk; 22-06-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    We might only have one star above the badge but it's one more than you.
    You aint that far ahead considering you had a hundred year start on us
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Nobody in England cares though Furns.

I've spent a fair chunk of time down under, I love Australia and fingers crossed will be returning next jan/feb. I've been using this forum off and on since '03 and I'll continue to visit (particularly around tournament time) to get the real Aussie blokes take on things.

I was reading the Sydney morning herald a few weeks ago and tim Cahill claimed that the current socceroos were as good as '06, the coach was every bit as good hiddink and that he expected a successful tournament. Now if Wayne Rooney had said that I'm certain it would be perceived outside of England as "typical deluded Englishman, thinks they're a contender, can't wait to laugh at them when they go out etc"
    So I come on here to get the real opinions of Aussies who like myself watch the tournament in the pub, but then I read the same old lolz when england fall short of these expectations we're supposed to have. Which always puzzles me because in England the views on the socceroos would vary between mild support and total indifference.

Really? We're Australia, we love watching England fail basically at any sport. That's the way it is when u have an imperial master. Also many lols people have are more directed to Aussies that support the poms or expats here that love to talk trash about us (much the same way we do when England lose). Of course England are indifferent to us we're nowhere near big enough in football for many teams to concern themselves with, much the same way id imagine Germans view the poms, a plucky little side that try's hard but can't really compete with the big boys.

Timmys comments should be looked at in context though a) success for us is getting out of the group stage. When he says success winning it... Come on lololol. B) he said this when all the experts and former players were bagging the team and anges selections, saying we'd lose every game 5-0, of course Timmy has to back the boys gee whizz

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    luv u timmy
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Really? We're Australia, we love watching England fail basically at any sport. That's the way it is when u have an imperial master. Also many lols people have are more directed to Aussies that support the poms or expats here that love to talk trash about us (much the same way we do when England lose). Of course England are indifferent to us we're nowhere near big enough in football for many teams to concern themselves with, much the same way id imagine Germans view the poms, a plucky little side that try's hard but can't really compete with the big boys.
    Seriously? There are Aussies that would lend support to England during the World Cup? I have honestly never met one, not a single person. It's always been the other way around, some are indifferent others have massive chips.

For us i think it's different if you're into cricket or rugby, english fans probably love watching Australia lose at those sports. But as cricket / rugby mean next to **** all to me or anyone i know then Autstralias fortunes in those sports means even less. Don't get me wrong i do watch those sports, i seen NZ v ENG saturday morning, but losing a test series to the All Blacks was forgotton about by the time i'd finished making some toast. (it was early am)

Timmys comments should be looked at in context though a) success for us is getting out of the group stage. When he says success winning it... Come on lololol. B) he said this when all the experts and former players were bagging the team and anges selections, saying we'd lose every game 5-0, of course Timmy has to back the boys gee whizz
    Which is pretty much what i tell Aussies when they're laughing at Roy Hodgson post match comments, or the super deluded Stevie G's claims that we've played well. What do you expect him to say?

Nah trust me there's plenty of Aussies who support England. A lot of it might come from the days when oz never made the World Cup, most of us do have a second team because of this. These are the people that I'm normally trying to irritate with anti-English ramblings.

I don't dislike England because of anything they've said in the media, geez they're all coached by PR guys to say the same bullshit over and over again. Should always be taken with a grain of salt.

I'm on a few aussie forums, there are many grains of salt.

And if David Luiz is worth £50m im worth at least £40m.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Seriously? There are Aussies that would lend support to England during the World Cup? I have honestly never met one, not a single person. It's always been the other way around, some are indifferent others have massive chips.

For us i think it's different if you're into cricket or rugby, english fans probably love watching Australia lose at those sports. But as cricket / rugby mean next to **** all to me or anyone i know then Autstralias fortunes in those sports means even less. Don't get me wrong i do watch those sports, i seen NZ v ENG saturday morning, but losing a test series to the All Blacks was forgotton about by the time i'd finished making some toast. (it was early am)

Which is pretty much what i tell Aussies when they're laughing at Roy Hodgson post match comments, or the super deluded Stevie G's claims that we've played well. What do you expect him to say?
    I follow England as a second team, turbo. Maybe it's because of me following the prem, but I follow the prem, and Liverpool for that matter, because I watched England at the 98 World Cup.

I have a weird view on the English national team.

In terms of the EPL, I am always so keen on getting the best players from around the world into the comp as I love the idea of it being the strongest comp in the world as it's the most easily watchable for us Australians. I love the German influx that Arsenal has, and whenever some obscure foreign player does well I'm always praying we can get him for a bargain. I rarely entertain the thought of signing English players as the inflation of price on them is just ridiculous. And I just LOVE the media circus of the EPL. I probably enjoy that moreso than actually supporting Arsenal.

But when it comes to the English National Team, I'm one of the first to get on the high horse and say that the problem lies in the fact that the EPL is overrun by foreigners, that the nation kicks itself in the foot with it all, and am all too happy to just slam the media circus surrounding it for how detrimental it is to the team.

So basically everything I hope for in the national league, greatly affects the national team and I both feel happy that the national league goes so well, but also have a good lol at the national team
    OK

So pumped for Italy v Uruguay I'm the morning. Classic battle, to the victor go the spoils

I'm completely split 50/50 when it comes to supporting England and Australia, due to the fact of growing up with a very patriotic father and 6 uncles who were all born in Blackpool England. Supporting England was never something that was forced on me it was mainly due to watching sport at all hours of the morning yelling at the TV with the old man, by the time I was old enough to know better I was already hooked on England and the jubilation but mostly pain that came along with supporting them.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!