Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: HAL 13/14 Rd7 - Newcastle Jets vs Melbourne Heart - 24/11/13 kickoff 5:00pm AEDST

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Mrs Grim (finally teaching her stuff about football, huzzah!) asked if that was the same guy who was beating players for fun last season. What exactly happened to him (or did GVE do to him) to turn him into a left footed James Brown?
    I watch Goodwin's body language and I see someone who isn't very happy and/or is really lacking in confidence. His "effort" levels while he is on the field are not what they used to be - i.e. he was jogging after the ball, wasn't really attempting any closing down and just cruised with the ball at his feet. He seemed to be running at 40% capacity when season 8 Goody would have skinned Gehardt alive! He was offloading the pass when he would have previously knocked it past them and sprinted.

I did also consider that he may have received these specific instructions from GvE, in which case it may account for some of what I am seeing.

I do wonder, thought, if he is homesick or if there is something else going on. Either way, I don't expect we will see Goodwin in a Jets jersey next season - I think he is going to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by russjaybee View Post
    Thankfully right now we have a starting 11 that doesn't have to include the likes of Brown and Goodwin, how they react to being bench players will make or break their time with us.
    That's pretty spot on.

*FREE
    I think it's probably a case of ego / mentality. He rocked up on the scene a partial nobody left back from Heart, remember the stories about him just scraping enough cash to make it to Heart youth training etc? He put in hard and did the simple stuff early, took on players like a left winger, was exciting and worked hard.

Then he started gaining plaudits etc and has relaxed a bit. Not working as hard to beat players etc, either trying to be slow and tricky or simply cutting back and playing the ball to the midfield.

He needs to adjust the attitude and take it back to basics in my opinion. I still think he is technically an excellent player and has great pace, he just needs to get back in to the mindset of working hard and forget about what others might be saying about him.

Thankfully right now we have a starting 11 that doesn't have to include the likes of Brown and Goodwin, how they react to being bench players will make or break their time with us.
    you forgot the bit about breaking up with that chick he was banging who he used to hug after games in bay 2. seems to have done a bit of a mitchy since then.

in fairness to craig for yesterday's performance, at the time he came on he was probably given instructions to minimise fxxk-ups so as not to give them any cheap goals there at the end. if he had tried to take those blokes on at the end and gave the ball away it would have looked silly. far smarter option at that point was to simply retain possession and take the safer routes.

Goodwin needs to just start backing himself again, be reckless i would much prefer a player who took the first defender on rather than turn away and pass backwards.

look at taggz yesterday he could have passed both times for his 2nd & 3rd goal but he back himself and look at the results he got.

Goodwin looked scared to enter the contest yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

Quote Originally Posted by *FREE View Post
    you forgot the bit about breaking up with that chick he was banging who he used to hug after games in bay 2. seems to have done a bit of a mitchy since then.

in fairness to craig for yesterday's performance, at the time he came on he was probably given instructions to minimise fxxk-ups so as not to give them any cheap goals there at the end. if he had tried to take those blokes on at the end and gave the ball away it would have looked silly. far smarter option at that point was to simply retain possession and take the safer routes.
    Probably true but we're bringing on one of our (meant to be) quick wingers against a shite defence that had been playing in stinking heat all arvo, they're just asking to be ran at. What happened to attack being best form of defence and using what is working for you? The runs in the channel by Burns et al were killing Heart, we should have been going for the jugular imo.

Of course if he did that, lost the ball and they went on and scored I'd probably be here ripping shreds off him haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I watch Goodwin's body language and I see someone who isn't very happy and/or is really lacking in confidence. His "effort" levels while he is on the field are not what they used to be - i.e. he was jogging after the ball, wasn't really attempting any closing down and just cruised with the ball at his feet. He seemed to be running at 40% capacity when season 8 Goody would have skinned Gehardt alive! He was offloading the pass when he would have previously knocked it past them and sprinted.

I did also consider that he may have received these specific instructions from GvE, in which case it may account for some of what I am seeing.

I do wonder, thought, if he is homesick or if there is something else going on. Either way, I don't expect we will see Goodwin in a Jets jersey next season - I think he is going to leave.
    I noticed that when i was at training last week, Goodwin was playing without confidence and he was quiet and seemed like a peripheral figure

all your explanations about goodwin = narrative fallacy
    what is actually happening to goodwin = regression to the mean

Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    all your explanations about goodwin = narrative fallacy
    what is actually happening to goodwin = regression to the mean
    There is still an explanation for the regression, or perhaps an explanation for the initial exception is more appropriate?

In all fairness to Goody his instructions yesterday were to hold the ball up with Heskey and waste time not to take people on. Also according to one of the senior players I spoke to after the game goody is training the house down just waiting for his starting chance to come. Still reckon GVE has messed with his confidence along with Virgilli.
    Last edited by longshot; 25-11-2013 at 04:59 PM.

I thought goodwin did fine when he came on.

Cant believe some of the comments posted so far. Apart from taggart I think we were quiet poor across the park.
    Our biggest problem was both our centre backs. Anyone that wants reagan over chapman/jaliens needs to look at that game. the reason we looked so bad started with the poor ball playing from the back. was way to slow and no forward movement. seemed like when they finally tried to do something hearts defence was set

Reagan is a good injury replacement, but would struggle as a constant starter

Quote Originally Posted by true waterboy View Post
    Our biggest problem was both our centre backs. Anyone that wants reagan over chapman/jaliens needs to look at that game. the reason we looked so bad started with the poor ball playing from the back. was way to slow and no forward movement. seemed like when they finally tried to do something hearts defence was set

Reagan is a good injury replacement, but would struggle as a constant starter
    Agreed. Regz needs more nonsense

There is still an explanation for the regression, or perhaps an explanation for the initial exception is more appropriate?
    which is unknowable and can only be speculated on.

And? Think you'll find quiet a bit of speculation on here, and rightly so. No one is saying that's exactly what's happening or that any of us have insider info :S

Goodwin doesn't have a plan B and as such the opposition have him pretty much worked out - his passing game is non-existent. Given a choice I'd play someone reliable like Pepper before Goodwin everytime.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 26-11-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    I would just like to point out that the first half of the season last year we won a handful of games then proceeded to lose just about every ****ing game in the new year
    I'm still going good with my prediction.....
    Jaliens gives me the horn