Page 53 of 129 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 2578

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2014

chunk chapman is maybe a loss, a bloke that loves the burners can only be a good thing

brown has done nuffin, i reckon i've done dollar for dollar about ten squllions more for the jets than this bloke

"Heart coach John van’t Schip and football manager John Didulica just spent several weeks in Manchester with City’s technical director Txiki Begiristain, academy director Brian Marwood and title-winning manager Manuel Pellegrini finetuning their recruiting and football strategy."
    pelligrini to van't schip

Joel Griffiths signs on with goal clearly in sight

By JAMES GARDINER
    May 12, 2014, 10 p.m.

FOR Joel Griffiths the next 12 months is all about winning.

The 34-year-old striker yesterday recommitted to the Newcastle Jets until the end of the 2014-15 A-League season.

Although his body feels strong enough to play for a couple more campaigns, Griffiths understands that the window for winning titles is closing.

The club’s lone championship, seven years ago, was fuelled by Griffiths, who banged in 14 goals on the way to collecting the Golden Boot and Johnny Warren Medal.

Since that glorious day at Allianz Stadium on February 24, 2008, the Jets have qualified for the post season once, in 2009-10.

But Griffiths saw enough in the final eight games last season to be optimistic.

‘‘You look at other teams and go ‘how do we get to that level’,’’ Griffiths said

‘‘In the last few games, I knew we were going to score, and I felt we could win every game.

‘‘I had that feeling, which doesn’t really come a lot.

‘‘You need players who make a difference; the ones who score and make it 1-0 or make a big defensive play to protect a lead.

‘‘We need to get that mentality and we need to get it early.

‘‘I think we have the team to do it.’’

Griffiths is the first player signed since Phil Stubbins took charge a week ago.

‘‘I had a good chat to him before he left for the UK,’’ Griffiths said.

‘‘I like the fact that he is fresh. That is a positive.

‘‘He has a big job in the off-season to get as much quality into the team as possible.’’

Griffiths hopes David Carney is next to put pen to paper.

Like Griffiths, Carney arrived during the January transfer window and was just starting to hit form and fitness when the season ended.

‘‘I told the gaffer please do whatever you can to sign David Carney,’’ Griffiths said .

‘‘I have been trying my hardest to persuade Carney as well. He is a good fit for Newcastle.’’

Griffiths’s signature leaves the Jets with five places to fill, including potentially a marquee.

Marcos Flores played under Stubbins when he was an assistant coach in Adelaide.

The silky-skilled midfielder and 2010-11 Johnny Warren Medal winner has been released by the Central Coast Mariners and flies to Argentina on Sunday to complete his rehabilitation from a knee reconstruction.

Griffiths would welcome the attacking midfielder.

‘‘He is a clever player, he knows football and has that X-factor.’’

After leaving the Jets in 2009, Griffiths spent five seasons in China.

In his most recent stint in Newcastle, Griffiths scored three goals in eight games playing on the right side of midfield.

Most of his record 28 goals in 68 games for the Jets were as a striker, and with Emile Heskey unlikely to return and overseas clubs hovering over Adam Taggart, he may lead the line again.

In the meantime, Griffiths, wife Bianca and children Gizelle, 5, and Billy, 1, are house hunting.

‘‘We are looking to buy,’’ he said. ‘‘I love this town and love this club.

‘‘I don’t say those things to get people to like me.

‘‘There was interest from other clubs, but this is where I feel most comfortable and most at home.’’

Meanwhile, Taggart, Josh Brillante and Mark Birighitti have been at a mini-Socceroos training camp in Adelaide for the past week.

The 30-man preliminary squad for the World Cup is named tomorrow.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/22...-sight/?cs=303
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.

Striker Joel Griffiths signs one-year deal with Newcastle Jets, praises new coach Phil Stubbins

News Corp Australia
    May 12, 2014 2:07PM

FORMER A-League Golden Boot and Johnny Warren Medal winner Joel Griffiths has today signed a new one year deal with the Newcastle Jets.

Griffiths, who was the spearhead behind the Jets’ only A-League title win back in 2007-08, played the back end of last season with the club after spending five years in China.

During that period, he also had a short stint with Sydney FC.

All up, Griffiths has made 68 Hyundai A-League appearances for Newcastle, scoring 31 goals but says the lure of trying to win another title is the reason he has committed to another season at the Jets.

“To be honest, it wasn’t a tough decision to re-sign,” Griffiths said in a statement.

“This is the best club I’ve ever played for and I’m so grateful I’ve had the opportunity to come back to Newcastle and play for the Jets again.”

Griffiths said the appointment of new coach Phil Stubbins played a role in his decision.

“Once Phil Stubbins was appointed, I sat down with him and I really liked what he had to say and that helped seal the deal,” he said.

“I want to be remembered for winning two Championships in Newcastle, not just one and that’s what is driving me every day.

“The body feels good and I’m looking forward to hitting the ground running with a good pre-season and then hopefully everything will take care of itself.”

Jets CEO Robbie Middleby said Griffith’s re-signing is a real boost for the club.

“Joel gives his all for the Newcastle Jets every time he steps onto the pitch and that is exactly the type of player we want at this club,” Middleby said.

“He is a proven goalscorer and gives us valuable experience in the attacking third.

“Joel has achieved so much with the Jets in the past and we are very excited about his future with the club.”

The Jets, who released young defender Connor Chapman from the final year of his contract late last week and announced Josh Mitchell, Joey Gibbs and James Brown would not be retained, are currently trying to extend the contract of former Socceroo David Carney.

It’s understood Perth Glory is one of a number of rival clubs interested in Carney for next season
    Did Perth end up signing Hersi from WSW, good couple of wide men if they manage to land carney as well.
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    Did Perth end up signing Hersi from WSW, good couple of wide men if they manage to land carney as well.
    Pretty sure Hersi signed on months ago at Perth. Whether it is "official" or not yet, I don't know.

Perth have Sidnei at LM, who I really rate. I can't see Carney playing LM ahead of him. They did just release Zahra (LB) though, so maybe Carney is being looked at as a LB there.
    OK

I think Carney is waiting for the World Cup squad to be announced(I don't think he will be named) before he signs on anywhere. If he does make the squad then I think he'll wait till after the Cup to sign a contract, if he doesn't get named then I think he'll sign with us the day after Ange's announcement.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    I think Carney is waiting for the World Cup squad to be announced(I don't think he will be named) before he signs on anywhere. If he does make the squad then I think he'll wait till after the Cup to sign a contract, if he doesn't get named then I think he'll sign with us the day after Ange's announcement.
    I never want Carney near the national team after the Asian cup, it hurt too much.
    In saying that, i want him to sign for us as he was brilliant last year.
    So lets pray Ange leaves him out!
    WE DON'T DO WALKING AWAY !

So, carney to be signing a contract very shortly.

Jets CEO Robbie Middleby said Griffith’s re-signing is a real boost for the club.

“Joel gives his all for the Newcastle Jets every time he steps onto the pitch and that is exactly the type of player we want at this club,” Middleby said.

“He is a proven goalscorer and gives us valuable experience in the attacking third.

“Joel has achieved so much with the Jets in the past and we are very excited about his future with the club.”
    Bit of a change from the "We want to look forward not backward" position he used to take regarding Joel.

Your change in tune is belated but welcome.

I would like to think that the signings of Niel and Flores are not far behind. Add in a mysterious midfield brute to partner Zad from england and we are set.
    Go jetties

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post
    I would like to think that the signings of Niel and Flores are not far behind. Add in a mysterious midfield brute to partner Zad from england and we are set.
    No need to sign another player to partner zads, he'll have plenty of blokes with him on the bench already.

Brown and Chapman to Melb Heart

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-1...dinand/5449988

seriously, how were they even linked to him?

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Brown and Chapman to Melb Heart
    I posted that yesterday...

and twice today

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    So you dont want a rival to have an advantage over us by getting Brown 6 months early but you're ok for a rival to get an advantage over us by signing a player 12 months early?

(for the record I'd rather have kept them both for the duration of their contracts).
    Big difference. Chapman - we would be keeping a player we have no intention of playing for a whole season which would disrupt everyone around him & take a squad spot that we'll more than likely fill in the off-season with someone better. The club would also be hugely chastised for stunting a future Socceroos growth. Brown leaving mid-season was only going to leave an empty spot in the roster & leave us one man short if we got hit with injuries. Club did good on both counts. Unless there was something in it for the Jets, letting a player leave in January is ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    Big difference. Chapman - we would be keeping a player we have no intention of playing for a whole season which would disrupt everyone around him & take a squad spot that we'll more than likely fill in the off-season with someone better. The club would also be hugely chastised for stunting a future Socceroos growth. Brown leaving mid-season was only going to leave an empty spot in the roster & leave us one man short if we got hit with injuries. Club did good on both counts. Unless there was something in it for the Jets, letting a player leave in January is ludicrous.
    I'll argue that losing brown and allowing one of the youth players to step up would have been a better option then keeping brown on for the rest of the season. Someone like kale springs to mind.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    I'll argue that losing brown and allowing one of the youth players to step up would have been a better option then keeping brown on for the rest of the season. Someone like kale springs to mind.
    Signing Griffiths, Carney & Ward suggests that youth players stepping up wasn't the top priority plus Oxborrow got a run so there was a chance for someone else but it was clearly the manager/s who chose not to, not squad space

Hersi 2 year deal at perth officially announced on twitter
    Amigos Aarau

Although i still think you contradicted yourself just a little,
    this comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    Unless there was something in it for the Jets, letting a player leave in January (plague edit: OR EVER) is ludicrous.
    is the stone cold truth, and the reason why I have such little faith in the mob running the joint
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG