Page 54 of 129 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 2578

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2014

Herald says the Razzler is interested in a return to the Hunter

You mean matt Thompson?

If so we don't need him. He's not quick enough now to play left back and we have better options in centre mid

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I think he played for Melbourne Heart and Sydney FC ? But I'm not 100% sure because I don't follow the careers of dickheads.

Quote Originally Posted by joel31 View Post
    You mean matt Thompson?

If so we don't need him. He's not quick enough now to play left back and we have better options in centre mid
    Yep. Thommo

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    That probably works out well.
    Once we release Brilliante, Rubez and Kanta we'll need to have an experienced centre mid.
    Razzler to get a 2 year Aussie marquee deal.

Young Jets sweating on World Cup squad selection

By JAMES GARDINER
    May 13, 2014, 10:30 p.m.

JETS Adam Taggart, Mark Birighitti and Josh Brillante are confident they have done everything possible to press their claims for a place in the Socceroos’ preliminary squad for the World Cup.

Now their fate lies in the hands of coach Ange Postecoglou, who will announce a 30-man squad in Sydney this morning for a two-week training camp in Terrigal that culminates with the Socceroos’ send-off match against South Africa at ANZ Stadium on May 26. The final squad of 23 for Brazil will be named on June2.

The Jets trio joined fellow A-League-based hopefuls Eugene Galekovic, Osama Malik, Tom Rogic, Mark Milligan and James Troisi at a six-day training camp under Socceroos assistant coach Aurelio Vidmar in Adelaide last week.

The camp focused on conditioning to ensure that the participants, who are in strong contention for the preliminary squad, were at a similar fitness level to those whose leagues have just ended.

Birighitti was dropped for the Jets’ final four games and travelled to Adelaide a week early to work with Galekovic and Adelaide goalkeeper coach Peter Blazincic.

Taggart and Brillante have not played since the Jets beat Adelaide 2-0 in the final round on April 11.

‘‘It is always good to be involved in the national team set-up,’’ Birighitti said.

‘‘To get called into a mini camp in Adelaide and be one step closer to going to a World Cup. Even to make the preliminary squad would be a dream come true.

‘‘I’m pretty sure there are five keepers they are looking at – myself, Eugene, Mitch Langerak, Matt Ryan and Brad Jones.

‘‘Four will be named in the 30 and will also travel to Brazil. They are taking an extra as a back-up.

‘‘At least I am in the picture. Fingers crossed I am one of the four picked, have a good couple of weeks in camp and prove myself.’’

Up front, Tim Cahill, Tom Rogic, Matthew Leckie and Josh Kennedy are almost certain to be picked.

Taggart is in a bunch with Dario Vidosic, James Troisi and Ben Halloran fighting for a place.

The Jets striker is fresh from a breakthrough A-League campaign in which he scored a club-record 16 goals to claim the A-League Golden Boot and Young Player of the Year awards.

‘‘I did all I could in the season,’’ Taggart said.

‘‘It is pretty exciting, but even if I get in the squad, there is still a long way to go.

‘‘The squad gets cut to 23 and there are a lot of great players available.

‘‘It was good to get in camp [in Adelaide] early, get a feel for things and understand what is expected.

‘‘You have to be ready. A lot of players are still in their domestic leagues.

‘‘For myself I felt like I needed it and got a lot of benefit from it.’’

Brillante said selection in the preliminary squad would cap an amazing season.

‘‘It is good to be in and around the national team, knowing that you are not far off and they are keeping an eye on you,’’ he said.

‘‘Just being involved in the mini camp. If I am lucky enough to be in that 30, it would be incredible.’’

World Cup selection would also increase the trio’s chances of a move overseas.

Birighitti has been in talks with German club Bayer Leverkusen, which he said were progressing.

‘‘A new coach has come in, but that hasn’t affected my chances,’’ he said.

‘‘They had a lot of stuff going on and I was last on the list of priorities. Now that the season is over and they have qualified for Champions League, hopefully in the next few weeks something will be concrete.’’

Meanwhile, the Jets are continuing talks with David Carney. Former skipper Matt Thompson is also interested in a return to the Hunter.

In New Zealand, Wellington released Carlos Hernandez from his A-League contract the same day he was named in Costa Rica’s provisional squad for the World Cup.

Perth have signed Western Sydney striker Youssouf Hersi for two seasons.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/22...ection/?cs=306
    So Birraz not fazed by the coach sacking in Germany.

Sort of weird that it says Thommo wants a return to the hunter, but not that the club is interested or negotiating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.

Thommo is currently playing for Marconi in the NSWPL. Honestly it can't hurt to have someone from the club keep tabs on how he is doing. I feel like there would be much better options, but if we're going to sign a utility type player I wouldn't mind seeing a guy who has been at the club before be that man (assuming he is fit enough).

Signing Thommo would be awesome for the Bridges Brigade. A former club legend who is now heaps divisive in fans opinion who has recently been forced out of the game but could make a return whilst having mixed on-field form. Their kinda guy! Probably doesn't have the accent needed for them, though.
    OK

Could do worse than Thompson. Plenty of people here keep saying how we need some squad players. Why not a guy who can do a decent job in multiple positions. He would have to be on peanuts though.
    WE DON'T DO WALKING AWAY !

Would be wrong to see Birraz go to Brazil - he has not played first team football for two months (Ange's criteria).

I reckon Griff maybe behind getting Thommo back - they were buds.

Thommo needs to apologise first.
    Go jetties

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    I reckon Griff maybe behind getting Thommo back - they were buds.

For those who haven't heard

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/22...-squad/?cs=306

Taggart, Brillante and Birrighitti all made it through too the 30 man squad. Safe to say Taggart is most likely to get a run out of the three. I'd say Birighitti is least likely, Langerak and Ryan are more likely to get in ahead of him

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joel31 View Post
    You mean matt Thompson?

If it means getting Gallaway out of the side then that is something well worth doing

4x 'keepers to be named in the final 23-man squad? Absurd waste of a spot

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post
    4x 'keepers to be named in the final 23-man squad? Absurd waste of a spot
    No.
    Only 3 in squad. Talk of a fourth going as part of the touring party. Won't be able to be selected etc etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    No.
    Only 3 in squad. Talk of a fourth going as part of the touring party. Won't be able to be selected etc etc.
    Ahh ok, cheers for clearing that up

Schwarzer should be the fourth keeper tbh.

We should only take 2 keepers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    We should only take 2 keepers.
    Squad rules = minimum 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Squad rules = minimum 3.
    Rules are rules I guess but it seems a waste of a spot