Page 66 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 2578

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2014

in saying that, we should of had a 10 yr celebration when it was the CLUBS 10 yr.

Didn't con put something on? Or plan something before he lost it?
    Go jetties

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    No more Spurs either.
    Tottenham is a geographical area and Tottenham Hotspur are based in.......Tottenham.

The nickname Hotspur is derived from Henry Percy a knight/nobleman with strong links to the local area around Tottenham.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirt Boy View Post
    Tottenham is a geographical area and Tottenham Hotspur are based in.......Tottenham.

The nickname Hotspur is derived from Henry Percy a knight/nobleman with strong links to the local area around Tottenham.
    On Tuesday 5 September 1882, the Hotspur Football Club was formed by grammar-school boys from the Bible class at All Hallows Church.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Grasshoppers of Zurich, Newell's Old Boys, Barcelona SC, Real Salt Lake....it just gets sillier the more you look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Care to elaborate? Are you involved with us, or have you just head that around the zone meetings?
    Not on a public forum right at this moment.

2014-15 season: video
    By JAMES GARDINER
    June 30, 2014, 10:30 p.m

PHIL Stubbins has at least two places to fill on his roster but the rookie Newcastle Jets coach could afford a smile after a promising opening to the pre-season.

The Jets began preparations for the 2014-15 A-League campaign with a ballwork session at Ray Watt Oval yesterday.

Stubbins, assistant Clayton Zane and new strength and conditioning coach Andrew Packer put the group through a rigorous 90-minute workout.

‘‘There was certainly a lot of energy out there and the boys embraced the session really well,’’ Stubbins said.

‘‘In terms of the first interaction between the group and the new coaching staff, it was excellent.

‘‘We will have the balls out every day.

‘‘In terms of the touch and everything else, and the quality of the training session, it was a good standard.’’

Star recruit Marcos Flores, right back Scott Neville and luckless midfielder Mitch Cooper, who are recovering from knee reconstructions, worked with physiotherapist Rob Dingle.

Andrew Hoole is recovering from a shoulder operation last month and was a spectator.

Ecuadorian striker Edson Montano and keeper Mark Birighitti, who has been given extra time off, were the only players not in attendance.

Stubbins had hoped to have the squad completed by the start of the pre-season but Adam Taggart’s transfer to Fulham and the surprise exit by Zenon Caravella has left a couple of holes.

Stubbins said talks were advanced with a holding midfielder, a striker and a winger.

‘‘It is a matter of deciding which ones we want,’’ he said.

‘‘Financially we have come to an understanding. That has been almost agreed.

‘‘Who we bring in is the question? We certainly want to bring in two of those.’’

The biggest shoes to fill are those of Taggart.

The 21-year-old had a breakthrough season in which he scored 16 goals, almost half of the Jets’ haul of 34, to claim the Golden Boot and a trip with the Socceroos to the World Cup in Brazil where he started against Spain.

‘‘We need to get the balance right,’’ Stubbins said.

‘‘Everyone has to have a point of difference up front.

‘‘We have two strikers in Joel Griffiths and Edson Montano. Joel was very good in front of goal today and I hope that continues.

‘‘To bring someone else in, they have to be in the mould of Adam Taggart, who was a genuine goal scorer.

‘‘Looking at the squad from the outside in, and going through the squad, we needed more goals spread across the team.

‘‘As a reflection of that we have bought players in to the squad that will be able to facilitate that.

‘‘But 16 goals from one player, that is gone. The challenge now is for someone to fill that void.’’

In a good sign, Flores and Neville both ran freely.

‘‘It will be like getting three new players when we get Marcos, Scotty and Mitch back,’’ Stubbins said.

‘‘There is probably four or five weeks before any sort of stress is put on those players in terms of coming back to the group.

Stubbins hoped that Montano, who is in Ecuador awaiting visa approval, would be here soon.

‘‘He is from South America; how long that process takes, I don’t know at this point.

‘‘We are doing everything we can to get him here as quick as possible. We need him here.’’

Nick Ward, who played the final third of last season as an injury replacement for Cooper, is trialling for a permanent place.

‘‘We had good reports from the staff with regards to his input last year,’’ Stubbins said.

‘‘So far he has done very well. He was really good in the testing the other day and hopefully, things continue on and it comes to a positive conclusion.’’

The Jets have pencilled in July 23 for their first game most likely against the Malaysian under 23s at Magic Park.

‘‘The games will flow after that, leading up to the Townsville Cup (August 24-30) which will be great, playing against Brisbane Roar and Sydney FC,’’ Stubbins said.

‘‘Everyone knows the A-League has a long pre-season and we have plenty of time to prepare ourselves.

‘‘I have come in and said from the start that we need to change the dynamic a little bit.

‘‘We need to move forward and are trying to instil a new culture.

‘‘There will obviously be a change because somebody else has come into the [coach’s] seat.

‘‘If you look at the clubs at the pointy end of the A-League, they have things in place which have allowed them to get there.

‘‘Having good players is one thing – I think we have some good players – but also the culture. The everyday environment, how they go about their business, how they represent the shirt of the club.’’

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/23...-video/?cs=306
    Don't really see the point in signing ward, does not fill the CB, LB, Winger or Striker positions which are either light on in the squad or publicly being discussed, a really pointless squad filler type signing but we already have a heap of those on the books.
    Last edited by Pico; 01-07-2014 at 09:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    Don't really see the point in signing ward, doe not fill the CB, LB, Winger or Striker positions which are either light on in the squad or publicly being discussed, a really pointless squad filler type signing but we already have a heap of those on the books.
    I agree

I really liked Ward last season. He's a very experienced utility who seemed to bring a good vibe to the trainings I watched.

Hope the defensive mid they're talking to is Jobe.
    OK

Broadmeadow Magic to host first televised FFA Cup game
    By CRAIG KERRY
    June 30, 2014, 5:30 p.m

BROADMEADOW Magic will host the first televised game of the inaugural nationwide FFA Cup knockout on July 29.

Dates and venues for round of 32 games were confirmed on Monday and Magic were given the honour of featuring first on Fox Sports’ live coverage of the competition.

They will take on former National Soccer League club Brisbane Strikers at Magic Park from 7.30pm.

Fellow Northern NSW National Premier League club South Cardiff are away to Victorian third-tier club South Springvale in one of the other three matches to be played simultaneously on July 29.

The Gunners with feature in live crosses on Fox Sports along with Manly United versus Sydney Olympic and Melbourne Knights versus Queensland NPL outfit Olympic FC.

Newcastle Jets host Perth Glory on August 5 at a venue yet to be determined, although Magic may also host that fixture due Hunter Stadium’s unavailability.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/23...p-game/?cs=306
    Great to see Fox jumping on board early with an all NPL fixture, I had thought that they might only show the games where HAL opponents are present.

Would be great to see the single camera at other games used for the highlights and live crosses to be available to be streamed on either fox sports or the FFA website.

Confirms that Hunter Stadium definitely wont be used for the cup game. I like the idea of using No. 2 personally, but can see the club looking to either take it out to cessnock or somewhere else around NNSW.
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    I really liked Ward last season. He's a very experienced utility who seemed to bring a good vibe to the trainings I watched.

Hope the defensive mid they're talking to is Jobe.
    You're dreaming if you think its Jobe, burned Bridges () and all that, I'd say it will be a visa player.

I don't think Ward played badly at the end of last year, but we just don't need another CM who is neither filling a gap in the squad or a standout above what we already have.

You're dreaming if you think its Jobe, burned Bridges () and all that, I'd say it will be a visa player.

I don't think Ward played badly at the end of last year, but we just don't need another CM who is neither filling a gap in the squad or a standout above what we already have.
    There's a few of the people at the club when those bridges were burnt that aren't there anymore, though. Like GVE, for eg.

I thought most of the time Ward came on it was as a second striker - just throwing someone on who could hold onto the ball and relieve some of the pressure we had by continually losing the ball. The amount of HAL clubs Ward has been through I'd assume he doesn't exactly have a host of clubs offering him big deals so I daresay for a former Aus youth and Championship player that he'd come relatively cheap. And while probably not being looked at as a starter, he's a pretty useful sub to bring on IMO.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    I thought most of the time Ward came on it was as a second striker - just throwing someone on who could hold onto the ball and relieve some of the pressure we had by continually losing the ball. The amount of HAL clubs Ward has been through I'd assume he doesn't exactly have a host of clubs offering him big deals so I daresay for a former Aus youth and Championship player that he'd come relatively cheap. And while probably not being looked at as a starter, he's a pretty useful sub to bring on IMO.
    Wouldn't Stubbs be looking to put Barresi on in the 2nd half if we need another ball player in the attacking 3rd? I really liked Ward last year and he would be a supurb squad addition, we may need him if Brilliante leaves, but i guess he would be slowing the potential growth of Cooper and Barresi if they are to have a crack at the first team this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

. Ward played left wing once or twice after Burns left and before Carney signed. He would be quality backup at a cheap price as he is desperate to continue in the A-league. Would also be a better backup to Flores tan Baressi and would probably start until Flores is fit.

Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    . Ward played left wing once or twice after Burns left and before Carney signed. He would be quality backup at a cheap price as he is desperate to continue in the A-league. Would also be a better backup to Flores tan Baressi and would probably start until Flores is fit.
    I would rather Ward than Virgilli

I'd be happy enough to sign Nick Ward. As was said earlier he's not going to cost a lot.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/...ing-soon/91011

This season we start a new chapter. A chapter where we can look forward to a brighter future knowing we have stuck together through good times and bad.

Our Members have been incredible, stood together and remained rock solid. This alone re-enforces the sentiment of proud, loyal Novocastrians that this town continues to own. Something that no other Club in the A-League can boast.

We’re all in this together. A whole Club working as one. And together as one, we are stronger and more powerful. Together we are confident that we can achieve our goal for the new season.

To continue our Club’s growth both on and off the field we need your support. We ask every fan and supporter to believe, unite and JOIN THE FIGHT by becoming a Member.

We are pleased to announce that Jets Membership will be going on-sale in July (keep an eye out for updates). If you are not a Member or a subscriber, sign up for a MyJETS Account here

Let’s let the rest of the A-League know that we’re coming united as one and stronger than ever.

Robbie Middleby and Phil Stubbins
    So it looks like all the Marketing people have been sacked and Robbie and Phil are writing their own copy. Well its either them or the work experience kid.
    Last edited by hausmann; 01-07-2014 at 09:13 PM.

That's a great. Little post by Rob and Phil. And we will gladly. Join the fight.

**** me, PR and Marketing OUT, absolute ****ing drivel IN.

Also, what's wrong with the tried and true REINFORCES?

Our Members have been incredible, stood together and remained rock solid
    Through what? The GVE years?

To the Jets, just copy and paste this into your website to replace your article. You are free to use it:

"To Jets supporters, our recent history has left us truly humbled and extremely appreciative of the support you continue to show the club. We realise now we acted like giddy school girls chasing after that other team. What can we say? We thought they were what we always wanted. We didn't realise that we had everything we desired right here, and we chased after them, only be used and abused. They took our love, took our money and then deserted us.

We thought we had nowhere to turn and then we realised that what we desired most of all had been there all along. It was you, the kid with three Jets painted on your cheek. It was You, the humble old man with a thoughtful gaze that reveals an intelligent football brain. It was you, the happy and sometimes a bit rebellious teen who likes to stand on chairs a bit too much. It was you, the wife who organises her husband and four kids so that you can all get to the game before kick-off. It was you, the man who liked to yell abuse at Gary van Egmond.

It is not you who needs to change; You've been there for us, solid and unwavering through the last 3 seasons of HSG ownership. It's us. We got too big for our boots and forgot what community was about. We thought it was about us, not about you. This season is not about us asking you to do anything other than enjoy being yourselves. We aren't calling you to Believe, Unite and Join the Fight, because that would just be a cheesy slogan. It is about us standing up and showing that we represent you when we play. We can represent you because we now know deep inside who you are. The players we have in the squad this year are men who really want to be here, playing for our city and representing you.

We will make you proud again."
    Last edited by hausmann; 01-07-2014 at 09:50 PM.