Page 68 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 2578

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2014

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    We aren't a "glamour" club or based in a capital city so we are never going to be able to attract big names, we have to get better at finding blokes who everyone's reaction to is "who the hell is that?" and then having them surprise everyone.

Look at our list of signings..... Go as far back in our ten years (ffa compliant version of history) and name any signing that wasn't either.....

Coming back from long term injury
    Actually still injured
    Young with un-proven potential
    Some other A-league castaway
    Already had history with us
    A local
    "Squad filler"
    Past his prime.

I'm liking the fact punxatawney phil appears able to drag blokes from Vietnam, has the man management skills that see Flores want to link back up with him and gambles on loanees from equador..... Now I just want to see him giving locals a chance, even if it's getting a bunch of the best from NBN (outside of the current jets system) together and having them run against the squad in regular tactical/structural sessions.
    Tiago had German efficieny
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Tiago had German efficieny
    .... he was absolutely horrible!
    WE DON'T DO WALKING AWAY !

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    We aren't a "glamour" club or based in a capital city so we are never going to be able to attract big names, we have to get better at finding blokes who everyone's reaction to is "who the hell is that?" and then having them surprise everyone.
    I disagree... Yes we're not a "glamour club" but that doesn't mean we can't attract big name signings (in comparison to the A-League).
    Newcastle is a very attractive place to live, we just need to be better in marketing our Club and City. Not everyone wants to live in the big smoke footballers are no exception to that, sure some will want the big city life of Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane but not all will. This is where we need to improve, do your research on targeted players and sell the lifestyle along with the football.

Completely hypothetical but what's to say in 2 years we approach Steven Gerrard a bloke that has a wife 3 young girls is a big family man and in football terms leads a pretty quite life. Where do you think a more attractive destination would be for someone like that, nice and relaxing life of Newcastle or the flashy lights and hustle and bustle of Sydney?
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by leftrightout View Post
    u wot m8
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    u wot m8
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

This

I cry evry tiem :'(
    OK

give me one reason not to ban this bloke for sullying the great name of the one true god tiago

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    I disagree... Yes we're not a "glamour club" but that doesn't mean we can't attract big name signings (in comparison to the A-League).
    Newcastle is a very attractive place to live, we just need to be better in marketing our Club and City. Not everyone wants to live in the big smoke footballers are no exception to that, sure some will want the big city life of Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane but not all will. This is where we need to improve, do your research on targeted players and sell the lifestyle along with the football.

Completely hypothetical but what's to say in 2 years we approach Steven Gerrard a bloke that has a wife 3 young girls is a big family man and in football terms leads a pretty quite life. Where do you think a more attractive destination would be for someone like that, nice and relaxing life of Newcastle or the flashy lights and hustle and bustle of Sydney?
    Fair point, well made.
    Change my statement to "never have been able to, and management need a complete rethink if we ever are"

We've had Michael bridges trying to make this happen for how long?

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    give me one reason not to ban this bloke for sullying the great name of the one true god tiago
    There is none. Tiago was pure Newy. Even when he played for Sydney, he was still Newy.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    Unleash the ban hammer on both of them
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    There is none. Tiago was pure Newy. Even when he played for Sydney, he was still Newy.
    Haha I suppose you are right, when he played for Sydney he did his best work for newy!

Banned
    Haha I suppose you are right, when he played for Sydney he did his best work for newy!
    Who will forget the ADP first game when we killed them and Tiago milked an alleged injury. Ref made him go off and someone through a bottle of water at him.

Cool as **** he picked it up and took a swig.

So Newy

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Who will forget the ADP first game when we killed them and Tiago milked an alleged injury. Ref made him go off and someone through a bottle of water at him.

Cool as **** he picked it up and took a swig.

So Newy
    Attitude - he was great
    football ability -i just cant agree with the love.

A cool attitude doesnt get you into the top 6... griff does!

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/24...action/?cs=306

MARCOS Flores has never been more determined.

The Jets major addition in an off-season notable for its departures joined the main training group for the first time yesterday and is confident of being fit for the start of the A-League season.

The 28-year-old Argentinian playmaker and right back Scott Neville, who are at a similar stage in their recovery from a knee reconstruction, were eased into action.

They did the warm-up and a series of passing and possession drills before splitting from the group to complete the 75-minute workout.

"It was exciting to be back with the players," Flores said.

"I am getting closer to playing again.

"It was just bouncing the ball, doing the warm-up and passing drills. We have plenty of time to build towards 50-50s and challenges.

"I am moving pretty well.

"Of course, if you invited me to play 11 versus 11 in the park I would say I could go.

"But slowly, slowly. Maybe three or four weeks I will be ready to jump in.

"I am pretty confident that I will be ready for the first game."

Jets coach Phil Stubbins, though happy with the progress of Flores and Neville, insisted neither would be fast-tracked.

"The positive for me, looking at everything, is the smile on the face," Stubbins said.

"They are a little bit ahead in terms of the rehab. The medical staff need a pat on the back."

"There is no rush. We are going to bide our time and wait until everything is checked off."

Flores ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee at a training session with former club, the Central Coast Mariners, on January 2.

The Mariners brought in Seung-yong Kim as an injury replacement, and at season's end opted to retain the South Korean and release Flores.

The silky-skilled attacking midfielder had returned to Argentina before given an A-League lifeline by Stubbins, who was the assistant coach at Adelaide United in 2010-11 when Flores led the Reds to third place and won the Johnny Warren Medal.

"When the Mariners reject me, the only thing I had in my heart was the conviction to be back on the park," Flores said.

"I told the board of the Jets that I am really thankful, I am full of faith, I am going to give back to the board, to the club, and the fans all my best football.

"The last six months in the gym has made me stronger without a doubt.

"Never in my life did I do two sessions [a day] of gym.

"My body is changing in a good way. I feel stronger but I need matches.

"I can't wait for the new players to come, and like I said before, be available to train . . . tell the boys what I expect from them and they can tell me what they expect from me.

"I think we will play interesting football.

"We want to be really tough to beat and also try and bring some flair."

The Jets have not boasted a genuine playmaker since Nick Carle wore the No.10 shirt in the second season of the A-League (2006-07), winning the Johnny Warren Medal, and taking the Jets within a penalty shootout of a grand final.

It's a role and responsibility that Flores craves.

"I have always said to the strikers, if the game is nil-nil we have not created enough," he said.

"Every time I go to a stadium I want to create things.

"If we do not score goals, I am the first person to criticise myself.

"I just want to play my football.

"If I am healthy - God protect me to be healthy - plus adding the happiness I have now, adding that the coach knows me well and how to use me . . . the ingredients are there."

Flores's increased involvement yesterday helped raise his spirits after Argentina's 1-0 loss to Germany in the World Cup final.

"I yelled a lot at the TV and tried to push them from home," he said.

"I did it all game.

"But when the goal happened, to be honest, I did not yell.

"It was magnificent the way Goetze finished. Great touch, great assist, great set-up.

"Nothing to say but congratulations to Germany."

Flores is one of four new faces, along with former Socceroos defender Adrian Madaschi, Ecuadorean striker Edson Montano, teenager attacker Josh Barresi and Northern Ireland international Johnny Steele.

Steele agreed to terms on Sunday and is expected to arrive next week from the US, where he had been playing alongside Tim Cahill and Thiery Henry at New York Red Bulls.

Steele's signature followed the release on Friday of Josh Brillante to join Italian club Fiorentina.

"Johnny was always coming," Stubbins said.

"He is experienced, is a left-sided player and brings more competition and balance to the team.

"Depending on the formation we go into, he is someone who can play capably in a 4-4-3 wide on the left, or on the left in a diamond midfield."

Steele's inclusion leaves three places on the roster to fill.

Stubbins has pigeon-holed one for a holding midfielder.

Trialists Nick Ward and left stopper Sam Gallagher are also in contention.

Meanwhile, the Jets are poised to appoint former player Neil Young as the goalkeeper coach.

Flores, love the bloke already, He seems to just genuinly love the game!
    And no doubt he is going to hate the gypos for not signing him!

would be good to have young back, warm fuzzy feelings and all that.

Young. What a man.
    Go jetties

Banned
    75 minute session FFS

Suppose they only do 4 of those a week.

Any wonder why we are so shit at this game as a club and as a country with that attitude.

Wonder how long those blokes at Bayern Munich who form the core of the German WC side and a damn fine elite euro club train for each day??

Bet you it ain't 75 minute sessions

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    all age teams do longer sessions
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week