Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Grassroots Football

i saw one of the SAP 9's teams playing against a U/10 girls team last weekend, the 9's boys (granted it was one of the 'stronger' SAP clubs) were towelling the girls up pretty easily.
    When we were leaving the one of the SAP 10's teams were warming up and the girls team they were about to play were waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy bigger than them. So not sure if those girls were 11's or 12's.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    i saw one of the SAP 9's teams playing against a U/10 girls team last weekend, the 9's boys (granted it was one of the 'stronger' SAP clubs) were towelling the girls up pretty easily.
    When we were leaving the one of the SAP 10's teams were warming up and the girls team they were about to play were waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy bigger than them. So not sure if those girls were 11's or 12's.
    That might come back to haunt them in five or six years.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post

With regards to finances, after the active kids voucher the fees were $600+, however I was very happy that the club gave a breakdown of the fees to show exactly how much was being allocated from the fees into different areas such as NNSW contribution, grounds, lighting, coaches, TD, insurance, etc, etc. The club gives everyone the option to pay up front or via a payment plan. While it is still expensive it is definitely achievable and not out of reach for everyone as some have previously said here. In 12 Months I'll spend way more than $600 on alcohol, coffee, lunch, etc, so it just takes a bit of tightening of the purse strings in some areas to get the most for your kids.
    Which club, may I ask? An excellent bit of PR, showing the parents where their hard earned goes. Should be mandatory for all SAP, NEWFM and NPL clubs where families get hit with anything over $500. My kids fees this year in NPL well exceeded $1000 and I have no clarity on where it goes.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Which club, may I ask? An excellent bit of PR, showing the parents where their hard earned goes. Should be mandatory for all SAP, NEWFM and NPL clubs where families get hit with anything over $500. My kids fees this year in NPL well exceeded $1000 and I have no clarity on where it goes.
    Jaffas. It was in the first or second parents meeting where they gave every parent a bunch of handouts. one of the handouts was a full page breakdown of what they were charging and exactly how much was going into different areas. The breakdown as it was explained to us was based on known costs for this season and estimated costs based on the previous season. The biggest chunk of the fees definitely went up the food chain.

Nice post, just remember it’s not a comp though, some parents can get lost with this

Should be mandatory for all SAP, NEWFM and NPL clubs where families get hit with anything over $500. My kids fees this year in NPL well exceeded $1000 and I have no clarity on where it goes.
    id say pretty much every club would be more than happy to show you where the money goes if you ask. Our club has always been pretty eager to show parents that the club itself was not getting much out of it. If anything it gives a lot of parents motivation to maybe volunteer more to help the club out, knowing how much others are putting into it.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Jaffas. It was in the first or second parents meeting where they gave every parent a bunch of handouts. one of the handouts was a full page breakdown of what they were charging and exactly how much was going into different areas. The breakdown as it was explained to us was based on known costs for this season and estimated costs based on the previous season. The biggest chunk of the fees definitely went up the food chain.
    Well done Jaffas SAP.

My son is in their Youth NPL. Pity that they didn't do the same there!! Currently have parents up in arms over a $350 clothing cost for a training shirt, training shorts, match shorts, 2 pairs socks and a track suit top and a polo. Poor quality stuff it is too.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

id say pretty much every club would be more than happy to show you where the money goes if you ask. Our club has always been pretty eager to show parents that the club itself was not getting much out of it. If anything it gives a lot of parents motivation to maybe volunteer more to help the club out, knowing how much others are putting into it.
    I think that the smart clubs would do this as a matter of course. saves the inevitable "our fees pay the first grade wages" complaints. Having been on a club committee, I am fully aware of just how much it costs, but clubs that don't provide that openness are asking for complaints. I agree that most clubs would show you if you asked, but I think that the smart move would be to offer it up.

Banned
    Nice post, just remember it’s not a comp though, some parents can get lost with this
    for sure

44 games to build skills, knowledge and make decisions under pressure. 1 or 2 teams might still be in it for egotistical win though.

Banned
    Well done Jaffas SAP.

My son is in their Youth NPL. Pity that they didn't do the same there!! Currently have parents up in arms over a $350 clothing cost for a training shirt, training shorts, match shorts, 2 pairs socks and a track suit top and a polo. Poor quality stuff it is too.
    Might want to investigate the links between the club and supplier then

Might want to investigate the links between the club and supplier then
    The supplier covers a lot of the clubs in the hunter. A couple of Aegon Jr's friends are in other SAP teams and their uniform costs were all around the $300 mark. Cost is for 2 strips, training shirt, polo shirt and a club jacket. Pretty steep if you ask me but there doesn't seem to be a big range in the supplier options.

I've now been watching the 9's and 10's SAP games for 5 rounds.
    There are some kids out there that are being very well trained & hopefully it shows in their future development.

I have also recently learnt of these programs that are in place.
    NNSWF have the Talent Support Program via Leo Bertos for U10's (& NPL ages) & Newcastle Football via Richard Hartley are running an Advanced Group Training for U9's-U12's.
    Both of these initiatives are taking selected kids from those age groups and running extra training (1 or 2 nights a week) in order to further develop the kids with most potential.

However a gripe I have is that some SAP clubs are setting their teams up with A & B squads. I do not understand the reasoning behind this as the B squads I have seen are getting demolished. Personally I think it isn't great for the development of either team and in the end most of the parents & kids of the B teams will get sick of paying $1000 a year and go back to community football or quit the game entirely.

However a gripe I have is that some SAP clubs are setting their teams up with A & B squads. I do not understand the reasoning behind this as the B squads I have seen are getting demolished. Personally I think it isn't great for the development of either team and in the end most of the parents & kids of the B teams will get sick of paying $1000 a year and go back to community football or quit the game entirely.
    Plague Jnrs club* is one of the ones that set up and A and a B team. This was done via instruction from the 'technical director' of the club, not by the SAP coaches. There was def a lot of discussion between coaches and parents on the merits of the idea, but it was implemented anyway.

The main reason is that from next year, SAP is going to one team per club (approx 13-14 kids as opposed to 18 this year), so a bunch of kids are going to get cut regardless. Having seen the kids in Plague Jnrs club, and other kids in the program, its evident that some kids arent good enough for what the program is designed for (at the moment). Our club intends on giving any kids that miss out on SAP next year a leg up into their NET team in order to keep them involved with the club and still getting better coaching than 'park football' kids.
    Again, there are def positives and negatives in it, but it is what it is. The program is designed to get the very best of these kids ready to join the emerging Jets in a couple of years time. They need to be pushed now, and training, playing against similar standard kids is the only way to get there. I dont like that some of the bigger clubs will only get one team next year (including ours) when there are clubs in the program now that have 2 squads full of kids who are just not good enough.

Again though, its not over for the kids. One of Plague Jnrs new team mates wasnt in SAP last year, just played with his mates (for 'our' club). He heard about the trials and came down for a crack. He is already one of the better players in the A team, and looks a real talent. If kids miss out next year then they'll prob have to work out why, and if they still want it, bust their ass to get back in.

A bit of rejection should never be a bad thing at any age.

*Plague Jnr is in U/10's, he played last year in U/9 SAP and the teams werent graded. This year the U/9 SAP kids at his club arent graded either.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Plague Jnrs club* is one of the ones that set up and A and a B team. This was done via instruction from the 'technical director' of the club, not by the SAP coaches. There was def a lot of discussion between coaches and parents on the merits of the idea, but it was implemented anyway.
    A bit of rejection should never be a bad thing at any age.
    I don't disagree at all about the rejection thing, I think the kids are being over protected already, especially not playing competitively (scores) until Under 12's. I know my son and his mates play Futsal in the off season which is scored from Under 6/7's and it has never been an issue.

My issue is with the development, I honestly think it is detrimental to both the A and B squads not mixing ability levels. In every team ever there is always a difference in ability from top to bottom player. These kids should be getting used to that now by learning to play with and against players who are better and worse than them. The players in the "A" teams are not going to be used to having to play it tough either, I'll be real interested to see what happens to the "A" teams when they start facing tougher competition every week from under 11's.

I don't disagree at all about the rejection thing, I think the kids are being over protected already, especially not playing competitively (scores) until Under 12's. I know my son and his mates play Futsal in the off season which is scored from Under 6/7's and it has never been an issue.

My issue is with the development, I honestly think it is detrimental to both the A and B squads not mixing ability levels. In every team ever there is always a difference in ability from top to bottom player. These kids should be getting used to that now by learning to play with and against players who are better and worse than them. The players in the "A" teams are not going to be used to having to play it tough either, I'll be real interested to see what happens to the "A" teams when they start facing tougher competition every week from under 11's.

yeah, its hilarious that all the SAP kids play to win, they know if they won, they know the score and so do the parents and coaches. To be fair though, ive never heard Plague Jnrs coach talk specifically about a 'win' or a 'loss' after the game or at training. He talks a lot about the performance and works on things the kids didnt do well while its fresh in their memories.

Can totally understand every different point of view on the A and B thing. Last year Plague jnr had one of the best kids in the whole program in his team, the combination they had was great and it lifted Plague jnrs level immensely. This year he has probably 3 of the better kids in the program (and the rest are all really good) on his team and they are a pretty decent side. But Plague Jnr has a lot less to do individually because of how good his teammates are. My 'fear' is that he will not develop at the same rate as last year because his job is way easier. again though, his coach is so good taking him aside and working on things that if he applies himself, he'll improve. and if he isnt good enough, then he'll soon know.

one of the problems with 2 'ok' teams is that a lot of the best kids in those teams went and trialled with 'stronger' teams and clubs from 9's to 10's. The kids (and prob parents) wanted their kids in the best environment and you cant blame them. by the time our kids get to 14's, the best of them (realistically only 1 or 2 kids) will be in the Jets program, and the rest will be part of a really strong NPL side, who are still being exposed to great coaching and matches (including against the Jets) so if they stand out they will still be seen.

IM not sure how clubs getting routinely flogged every week will attract better players and how they'll compete by the time it gets 'serious'. Hopefully any kids on the borderline of getting cut by the better clubs go and trials at the lower clubs and boost their teams. it will make the program better and sustain the NPL going forward.
    Seems like I am WRONG

yeah, its hilarious that all the SAP kids play to win, they know if they won, they know the score and so do the parents and coaches. To be fair though, ive never heard Plague Jnrs coach talk specifically about a 'win' or a 'loss' after the game or at training. He talks a lot about the performance and works on things the kids didnt do well while its fresh in their memories.
    Exactly this. The coaches are doing a great job focusing on what they did well and what they need to improve rather than the result. However every child there will tell you the score at the end!

Big example of whats wrong with junior football today.
    An under 10's SAP game had to be abandoned when the ref had copped a couple of sprays from one of the coaches.
    I could hear the coach talking to his players and was pretty rude to them during the game, but once he started on the ref it went way over the top.
    The ref pretty much said to him to shut it, but the bloke wouldnt, so the ref told him to ref the game himself and walked off.

It was a ridiculous situation, and the coach should be seriously embarrassed, but here we are with so called 'elite' players having to put up with clowns like this bloke in charge of them. I saw parents/members of the club go up to the ref and apologise and it sounded like the coach had form.

kids aint gonna learn anything with dopes like that in charge of them.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Name and shame

Name and shame
    as much as i would love to see the bloke get a talking to, im not sure calling him out personally 'on here' is the best way (nor do we want to Mods in any hot water).
    the fact that people from his club were there hopefully means he has to answer to the right people.

Also if my kid was getting coached by a bloke like that he'd be moving him to another team as soon as possible.
    Last edited by plague; 14-04-2019 at 06:55 PM.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned

Interesting that there can be a B team determined before the first week. These players from this team will be on the outer if they dont improve. If The B team is still competitive then good but if going to get flogged thats no help for mine.

However, if the comp is broken into 2 sections for the 2nd half of the season,the strong and the weak should be competitive most weeks.

I do agree if most games are too easy then the challenge isnt enough.

I have also seen a couple players that are nowhere near the level. How they get in is beyond a joke.