PDA

View Full Version : The run to the 2014 Finals

furns
25-03-2014, 01:04 PM
Discuss the overall A-League run in not just the Jerks.
Sydney and Newy on equal points we are one ahead on GD. However Sydney have Perth and Welly for final two games, we have MV and AU.

Who will make the finals? Will coasties lose and drop out? Can Victory overhaul WSW? etc

MFKS
25-03-2014, 01:17 PM
Last 2 seasons we have been in a similar spot 3 games out

Both seasons we only got 1 point from an available 9.

Fix this and we are in

If you ain't winning games at this time of year then you don't deserve finals football anyway

furns
25-03-2014, 01:18 PM
Win away at Perth is an absolute must in terms of getting a bit of space over SFC who play MV this weekend and may drop points.
Only problem is, this is the Jets. We are shit in Perth.

boz-monaut
25-03-2014, 01:20 PM
I predict this thread will not be needed soon

furns
25-03-2014, 01:23 PM
I will just rename it to the finals thread, so we can discuss all the other teams competing in the finals while our team celebrates Mad Monday.

leftrightout
25-03-2014, 01:25 PM
Knowing the jets and the aleague, something crazy like us losing all 3 games, sydney losing all 3 games and wellington geting the last finals spo will happen!

leftrightout
25-03-2014, 01:26 PM
However Sydney have Perth

Dont worry about that game, the jets will play Perth into form this week!
It will be Jets vs Heart 2.0

plague
25-03-2014, 01:34 PM
We will be in with a shot at making the 6 going into the last round.
Then in the blink of an eye we will be on mad Monday sucking off Labradors or something.
Management will then do nothing.

Rocknerd
25-03-2014, 02:11 PM
I see griff giving us at least a point in Perf, I always remember his double over there as the reason never to give up on the Jets.

For all we have against us going to Perth we have the same against Victory. so 3 points there will be good.

Adelaide can go either way we are all over them one round under them the next and unable to go either way the third. It's exciting and I can only hope for a Gypo third place and us in 6th for another F3 away days and finally a win when it really matters.

But then 3 loses and early showers with a new coach and a new round of rebuilding to get us in the mood for our ritual decimation before the FFA cup kicks off in July.

WSW to be sold off, Tinks to hand in Licence and us to become the new baby on the Teat of the FFA

belchardo
25-03-2014, 02:21 PM
WSW to be sold off, Tinks to hand in Licence and us to become the new baby on the Teat of the FFA

perth are probably vying for the same position.

don't think we'd get the same treatment as WSW anyway, not unless we become more like the RBB.

parksey
25-03-2014, 05:11 PM
it'll be a huge effort to make the finals with our last 3 matches being what they are. Perth away is normally a guaranteed loss, then we have MV and Adelaide who are also fighting for their finals positions and playing good football to boot.

MFKS
25-03-2014, 05:43 PM
The only reason I actually want to see us qualify for the play offs is not for the achievement of finishing in the top 60% of teams but to see Middleby and co proved wrong and incompetent again.

Their lack of desire and effort in the past to bring the Griff home particularly when he was interested and these clowns past him up will be magnified 10 fold by qualifying cause we can then say it was all down to the Griff cause we know the rest of these shit ****s couldn't do it without him

stopper2
25-03-2014, 08:40 PM
The only reason I actually want to see us qualify for the play offs is not for the achievement of finishing in the top 60% of teams but to see Middleby and co proved wrong and incompetent again.

Their lack of desire and effort in the past to bring the Griff home particularly when he was interested and these clowns past him up will be magnified 10 fold by qualifying cause we can then say it was all down to the Griff cause we know the rest of these shit ****s couldn't do it without him
I would just love for our team to have another shot at either SFC or the Mariners. Would love nothing better to meet one of these teams in the Finals and knock them out of the Finals....preferably the Scum at Gosford....how sweet would that be!!!

GazFish35
25-03-2014, 09:39 PM
What are these "finals" that everyone keeps talking about?

joel31
25-03-2014, 09:56 PM
this is not being a true fan. U should want ur team to win, no matter what. I'm not discarding Griff's passion but this sort of statement is nothing positive. if u don't want Newy to win then get lost

hawk
25-03-2014, 10:16 PM
lets not go down the true fan path. If you want a result for any reason so be it.

we usually fk it up this time of year and if we do it again the whole lot can go fkemselves again. The difference this year is we have have Griff which gives us a slight chance.

MFKS
25-03-2014, 10:47 PM
this is not being a true fan. U should want ur team to win, no matter what. I'm not discarding Griff's passion but this sort of statement is nothing positive. if u don't want Newy to win then get lost

So squeaking into the finals and keeping Middleby Deans and co and the hair brained shit we have had for the last few years would be a good thing??

Or not making the finals and having the blowtorch applied to these underachievers for 4 years of mediocrity so we can get someone new in to hopefully give us a club that wins games regularly and something to be proud of is a bad thing??

I would rather we were fighting for a title this time of year with realistic chance of achieving it not trying to arse it into 6th spot like we do every year

halo se7en
26-03-2014, 06:42 PM
So squeaking into the finals and keeping Middleby Deans and co and the hair brained shit we have had for the last few years would be a good thing??

Or not making the finals and having the blowtorch applied to these underachievers for 4 years of mediocrity so we can get someone new in to hopefully give us a club that wins games regularly and something to be proud of is a bad thing??

I would rather we were fighting for a title this time of year with realistic chance of achieving it not trying to arse it into 6th spot like we do every year

No the two options are clearly

a) Make the finals and keep Middleby and co.

b) Don't make the finals and keep Middleby and co.

Were you not here last season? Or the season before??

I reckon we'll finish 5th. I think WSW will struggle and bow out early. I also think we'll do some damage in the finals. Adelaide are my pick to overcome Brissy and win the thing. Sydney will miss the 6 - MV will be hurting after the 5-0 drubbing down there last time and do a job on them. How Sydney have won as many games as they have is beyond me, although we've helped their cause greatly.

joel31
26-03-2014, 07:50 PM
No the two options are clearly

a) Make the finals and keep Middleby and co.

b) Don't make the finals and keep Middleby and co.

Were you not here last season? Or the season before??

I reckon we'll finish 5th. I think WSW will struggle and bow out early. I also think we'll do some damage in the finals. Adelaide are my pick to overcome Brissy and win the thing. Sydney will miss the 6 - MV will be hurting after the 5-0 drubbing down there last time and do a job on them. How Sydney have won as many games as they have is beyond me, although we've helped their cause greatly.
we will be 6th. We will beat Victory (as Muscat has no idea) then the Roar (coz we always beat them) then the Wanderers (I'm sure we can transfer our parra form to the sfs) in the final

Superdylan
31-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Due to our stuff up yesterday it makes things alot harder as we will have to rely on other results to go our way the next 2 weeks.

Positive is though both our next 2 games are at home against the Victory and Adelaide who are both 5 points clear of us and we could change the swing of things with abit of home ground momentum. The highest place we can probably end up is 4th however we would have to rely on Adelaide losing to heart at home which I can't see happening, even if they draw to the heart Adelaide will still go through as their points differential is far superior to ours (providing we win our next 2 games).

The victory have Wellington away in the final round, a ground where they lost 5-0 the last time they played across the ditch. If they draw there and we win our next 2 games we will overlap the victory as our goal difference is 2 points better.

My biggest concern however is Sydney fc they also play their next 2 games at home against the phoenix and the glory. I bet the FFA will be doing all they can to get them in the finals too due to ratings and I bet they win the next 2 games aswell.

Best to take this week by week, a win is a must on Saturday.

MFKS
31-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Best to take this week by week, a win is a must on Saturday.

Anything other than a win sees Sydney playing for a Finals spot with a win for their game at the weekend and we can start organising Mad Monday this Sunday.

We hold on in Perth and then beat Victree this weekend and then the pressure would have been on the Smurfs big time as anything less than a win would see us in the play offs.

Losing that game has farked us on so many levels

Talk about shooting ourselves in the foot

la bazzle
31-03-2014, 07:03 PM
It will come down to something hilarious like goal difference in the last game, and we'll let in 3 goals with 2 minutes to go. All free kicks so Gaz and Thomas can go at it again

hawk
01-04-2014, 10:24 PM
We will need Adelaide to beat us so they finish above wsw and gypos into 2nd

Blackmac79
03-04-2014, 07:58 AM
We need for the mariners to come 3rd, us to come 6th and tear Gosford a new one off the park while having one torn for us on the park.

That way they can dangle Brisbane away in the second week of the finals in front of us only to take it away with 5minutes to play.

hawk
06-04-2014, 01:01 AM
gypos lost and have bris away next game. if syd has 2 draws and we miraculously beat adelaide we'll be in for 1 more week

furns
06-04-2014, 01:13 AM
either way, if Smurfs win tomoz we are f*cked.

joel31
06-04-2014, 07:31 AM
We had 6 points in the bag for the last 2 games and got 1. We're not getting finals and the mentality of players needs seriously to be assessed

WolfMan
06-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Bottom line - screw the mathematical possibilities, we don't DESERVE to make the finals.

These problems would be alleviated by having a Top 4. That way our terrible fate would have been sealed weeks ago and we could begin apportioning blame as we see fit.

hawk
06-04-2014, 09:25 AM
top 4 would have seen crowds fall a while ago. ffa master stroke

WolfMan
06-04-2014, 09:36 AM
top 4 would have seen crowds fall a while ago. ffa master stroke

Good point, I do understand that. Just feels like rewarding mediocrity having >50% of teams in a finals series.

Also, has there ever been a Golden Boot winning player whose team failed to make the Finals?

Grimario
06-04-2014, 12:10 PM
There should be a top 10. Forget this top 6 bullshit, what is there to play for for teams like Perth and Heart?

lquiquer
06-04-2014, 12:39 PM
All game in round 27 should be played same day same time....if and if,if,if Sydney loose 1-0 today, we win 1-0 Friday then FC knows they have to beat Perth by 2 goals to finish 6th. Fox Fox Fox.......

MFKS
11-04-2014, 11:22 PM
Last 2 seasons we have been in a similar spot 3 games out

Both seasons we only got 1 point from an available 9.

Fix this and we are in

If you ain't winning games at this time of year then you don't deserve finals football anyway

We fixed it we got 4 points and still won't be there:rolleyes:

lquiquer
11-04-2014, 11:57 PM
We were kind enough to let Glory win, in front of their fans 2 weeks ago you think they would return the favour!!! Go Sidnei

Thomas477
12-04-2014, 07:56 PM
Commentators just said that Wanderers haven't had a red all season! Now isn't that surprising......

fresh
12-04-2014, 08:09 PM
All game in round 27 should be played same day same time....if and if,if,if Sydney loose 1-0 today, we win 1-0 Friday then FC knows they have to beat Perth by 2 goals to finish 6th. Fox Fox Fox.......

my thoughts exactly.

sydney know all they have to do is not lose 2-0

They shouldnt have this knowledge

Prediction is sydney to try play defensive it not work and let the 2 goals in. newcastle threw

lquiquer
12-04-2014, 08:54 PM
Can't believe I'm saying it!!!!... CCM to win to finish 3rd..... If it happens, if the miracle of Sydney happens..... We off to Goshford next week. Oh how sweet would that be ... And if we put them out of finals ... Oh my god!!!!... Lots of "if" I guess...

Blackmac79
12-04-2014, 08:57 PM
Too much if.

lquiquer
12-04-2014, 09:01 PM
Too much if.

Too much if

Blackmac79
12-04-2014, 09:20 PM
Griff pulling yet another miracle of Brisbane for the coast to play us next week!

Superdylan
12-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Central coast win 2-0 tonight

Which means Melbourne victory vs Adelaide at etihad stadium & Central coast vs Sydney/us at Bluetongue Stadium. Ffa will be happy as both games will have some type of rivalry factor etc. Checking venues availability it looks certain Victory will play Adelaide on the Friday night as etihad stadium is booked out with the afl on both saturday & sunday next weekend. Also aami park is out friday night but I'd assume the ffa will want victory to play at etihad stadium to push for a much larger crowd.

Guessing if luck does go our way tomorrow its central coast away on easter sunday? Sounds good if luck goes our way.

lquiquer
12-04-2014, 10:57 PM
SD back to the drawing board buddy. If FC wins it's Victory/ FC and CCM/ Adelaide ......

Superdylan
12-04-2014, 10:58 PM
SD back to the drawing board buddy. If FC wins it's Victory/ FC and CCM/ Adelaide ......

Whoops my bad, but carrn perf

Premy
12-04-2014, 11:11 PM
FFA will play for a Smurfs v Glory hole draw for bigger crowds in the finals