PDA

View Full Version : Viva la Middleby

plague
01-04-2014, 12:07 PM
Ok, enough.
I'm calling a truce.
I can't even begin to understand how hard it is to run a football club and maybe I've been a bit harsh. From now on I fully support Robbie because we are all Jets fans and need to pull together.

plague
01-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Thomas, Member, I urge you to do the same.
Let's all pull in the same direction.

Grimario
01-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Nah, **** Middleby.

I do think we have all been a bit harsh on Bridges though. Without him we wouldn't have gone ahead of Sydney on goal difference the other weekend. I think he deserves another year and now that he is Australian, we could get him off the salary cap by putting him on Aus marquee wages instead.

Jeterpool
01-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Ok, enough.
I'm calling a truce.
I can't even begin to understand how hard it is to run a football club and maybe I've been a bit harsh. From now on I fully support Robbie because we are all Jets fans and need to pull together.

Love to know what caused this epiphany.

Disinterested Bystander
01-04-2014, 12:36 PM
Love to know what caused this epiphany.

Probably the date today I'd guess. Paging Captain Obvious ....

Jeterpool
01-04-2014, 01:11 PM
Probably the date today I'd guess. Paging Captain Obvious ....

Hook,line and sinker... I reckon you're right

parksey
01-04-2014, 01:39 PM
maybe i haven't been paying that much attention but i'd love to someone to give me a list of just exactly what middleby has done wrong* during his tenure.

*note: this does not include spelling mistakes in club press releases, choosing to withhold information regarding transfer fees or not signing some player you like.

MFKS
01-04-2014, 02:25 PM
maybe i haven't been paying that much attention but i'd love to someone to give me a list of just exactly what middleby has done wrong* during his tenure.

*note: this does not include spelling mistakes in club press releases, choosing to withhold information regarding transfer fees or not signing some player you like.

Yep that sounds like fun.

Can someone though who wishes to defend the bloke actually enlighten us as to all he has done right then

Jetmaster
01-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Yep that sounds like fun.

Can someone though who wishes to defend the bloke actually enlighten us as to all he has done right then

Telling GVE to use a system to suit the players last year was pretty cool.

plague
01-04-2014, 02:36 PM

Yeah. I'm with Parksey.
C'mon you big mouths, WHERES YOUR PROOF?

(oh dear god is it midnight yet?).

pv4
01-04-2014, 02:49 PM
As a non-joking type deal (first srs post ever!) - Robbie Middleby has brought back Griff and given us E&C. There's been a lot of shit things our football club has done since HSG & Middleby have come in, but those two things were basically the top or pretty effing close to the top of my wishlist. I can't ever be angry at him solely for those two things.

Jeterpool
01-04-2014, 03:01 PM
As a non-joking type deal (first srs post ever!) - Robbie Middleby has brought back Griff and given us E&C. There's been a lot of shit things our football club has done since HSG & Middleby have come in, but those two things were basically the top or pretty effing close to the top of my wishlist. I can't ever be angry at him solely for those two things.

I agree with this. However, I was annoyed at the change to red and blue.

I like, however, how affordable they have made the season tickets. Lower the price and get more through the gate. This has been a huge plus. They have also invested into a two year deal for an ex EPL top tier player (in his day) as a marquee. I can't fault that.

I will be waiting to see just what clout and ambition they have with their next coaching appointment. This is the next big decision.

Serious question - I wonder if Tinks falls over and we get new owners, do you think we could go back to the gold? It's conceivable in my opinion.

Grimario
01-04-2014, 03:16 PM
If blackmack and his consortium take over, surely the first change is E&C home and gold away?

Blackmac79
01-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Change to red and blue was before middleby. Remember when we played all games in our away strip cause it was navy/red the season con lost it.

Jeterpool
01-04-2014, 04:16 PM
Change to red and blue was before middleby. Remember when we played all games in our away strip cause it was navy/red the season con lost it.

I didn't realise. Thank you for correcting.

MFKS
01-04-2014, 04:36 PM
a lot of these things you are giving Middleby credit for are more so down to Tinks/HSG

I would have thought the signing of Heskey and the cheap season tickets would be a gesture from Tinks/HSG group rather than the brainchild of Middleby

parksey
01-04-2014, 05:16 PM
so basically you blame every bad thing that happens to the club on middleby's alleged incompetence and give him no credit for everything good that's happened during his time.

seems legit.

still waiting on that list btw.

BodyNovo
01-04-2014, 05:23 PM
i also fail to understand any of the hate directed towards middleby

the ryan griffiths one would be the only one i would question his actions on.

other than that i also await the list?

from a personal point

every time the squadron committee has dealt with him he has been excellent!

plague
01-04-2014, 05:27 PM
so basically you blame every bad thing that happens to the club on middleby's alleged incompetence and give him no credit for everything good.

This.

Can't have it both ways Member, HSG is either all Middleby or no Middleby. Can't pick and choose bits and pieces.

Blackmac79
01-04-2014, 05:56 PM
Bloke gets football.

Jeterpool
01-04-2014, 07:12 PM
a lot of these things you are giving Middleby credit for are more so down to Tinks/HSG

Middleby is employed by HSG/Tinks. Who is to say he didn't have anything to do with it?

I think he's doing fine.

Plus he acted and got rid of GvE

MFKS
01-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Ok

1 Middleby has presided over the most affluent and well resourced club EVER from the Newcastle region in a National Football competition in the last 3 and a half years. Under his watch we have finished 7th 7th and 8th and SOON TO BE 7th.
Despite having less resources at their disposal some shitful area down the F3 have been able to achieve in the same period 3 play off appearances and soon to be 4 out of 4. So as far as management of opportunity you would be hard pressed to mark Middleby highly on this front.

Being that Tinks is just about out the door I would even not be far from offering that we are not likely to be turning the corner next season either when we most likely lose 3 of our most better performing players in Taggz Beard and Birraz.

You would think there would be signs of improvement that we are building to something but no under Middleby's watch we have squandered everything and will have nothing to show for the Tinkler days

2 The signings of Griffo and Carney
The fact that we are only just now starting to see full match fitness from the pair of them makes the decision to sign them baffling. Not knocking either bloke or the signings in general but more the fact that Middleby agreed to sign these 2 blokes and hitch our playoff hopes to them when neither of them were fully or even remotely fit enough.

In light of Jason Culina signing you would hope our club had learned from that to do due diligence and make sure blokes are fit enough before signing them. Neither of these blokes were Griffo was only good for 30mins at nowhere near the level he is capable after 3 weeks of solid training. That to me indicates we never should have been signing a bloke in that physical state

3 The appointment of GVE
Bloke was an epic failure from start to finish. Middleby was involved in the appointment and continued to back the bloke despite evidence to the contrary that the bloke had no idea on how to implement any of the shit he wanted to do
Add in the contract extension after 6months for GVE despite nothing to warrant it

4 The appointment of InZane
How you can justify the appointment of a Youth team coach who is clearly not ready to take over for the rest of the season and try and lead us to the playoffs is beyond me. The same bloke who has in his 18 months at the club coaching the Yoof has been unable to improve the faults in the game of the best performing kid out of the Emerging Jets and get him into the First team.

5 The dwindling amount of Members at the Club.
Plenty of people are disgruntled with the shit we dish up and have stopped attending. All this on Middleby's watch.

The Buck stops with the CEO

That's Five I can go on if you want

Skirt Boy
01-04-2014, 07:30 PM
Middleby is employed by HSG/Tinks. Who is to say he didn't have anything to do with it?

I think he's doing fine.

Plus he acted and got rid of GvE

The hired to look after the Emerging Jets..........The same guy in charge of the AIS program and our national youth teams are doing SFA all at the moment.

:wtf:

MFKS
01-04-2014, 07:31 PM
Telling GVE to use a system to suit the players last year was pretty cool.

The CEO Should have nothing to do with this at all. The coaches pick the players tactics and formations.

The CEO's job is to sign players asked for by the manager or to renew contracts of existing players at the club.

timmy_v
01-04-2014, 07:35 PM
i think you guys need to realise the big picture before taking shots.

A certain HSG member is the real issue and don't always believe whats in the papers

Jeterpool
01-04-2014, 07:36 PM
Ok

1 Middleby has presided over the most affluent and well resourced club EVER from the Newcastle region in a National Football competition in the last 3 and a half years. Under his watch we have finished 7th 7th and 8th and SOON TO BE 7th.
Despite having less resources at their disposal some shitful area down the F3 have been able to achieve in the same period 3 play off appearances and soon to be 4 out of 4. So as far as management of opportunity you would be hard pressed to mark Middleby highly on this front.

Being that Tinks is just about out the door I would even not be far from offering that we are not likely to be turning the corner next season either when we most likely lose 3 of our most better performing players in Taggz Beard and Birraz.

You would think there would be signs of improvement that we are building to something but no under Middleby's watch we have squandered everything and will have nothing to show for the Tinkler days

2 The signings of Griffo and Carney
The fact that we are only just now starting to see full match fitness from the pair of them makes the decision to sign them baffling. Not knocking either bloke or the signings in general but more the fact that Middleby agreed to sign these 2 blokes and hitch our playoff hopes to them when neither of them were fully or even remotely fit enough.

In light of Jason Culina signing you would hope our club had learned from that to do due diligence and make sure blokes are fit enough before signing them. Neither of these blokes were Griffo was only good for 30mins at nowhere near the level he is capable after 3 weeks of solid training. That to me indicates we never should have been signing a bloke in that physical state

3 The appointment of GVE
Bloke was an epic failure from start to finish. Middleby was involved in the appointment and continued to back the bloke despite evidence to the contrary that the bloke had no idea on how to implement any of the shit he wanted to do
Add in the contract extension after 6months for GVE despite nothing to warrant it

4 The appointment of InZane
How you can justify the appointment of a Youth team coach who is clearly not ready to take over for the rest of the season and try and lead us to the playoffs is beyond me. The same bloke who has in his 18 months at the club coaching the Yoof has been unable to improve the faults in the game of the best performing kid out of the Emerging Jets and get him into the First team.

5 The dwindling amount of Members at the Club.
Plenty of people are disgruntled with the shit we dish up and have stopped attending. All this on Middleby's watch.

The Buck stops with the CEO

That's Five I can go on if you want

You know what, I think you raise some good, valid points. I think we can discuss this around and around in circles (as we have for months). Unless someone can say otherwise, we are arguing based on perceptions, opinions and reports in the media.

What the case is behind closed doors is probably completely different to the way we perceive it to be.

The hired to look after the Emerging Jets..........The same guy in charge of the AIS program and our national youth teams are doing SFA all at the moment.

:wtf:

Yeah I'll accept that too, but he wasn't the only one making this decision, was he? He can't be held 100% accountable for that, and we can't judge GvE on his performances as yet. Just because he didn't succeed as the first team coach doesn't mean he won't succeed in his new role.

Jeterpool
01-04-2014, 07:39 PM
The CEO Should have nothing to do with this at all. The coaches pick the players tactics and formations.

The CEO's job is to sign players asked for by the manager or to renew contracts of existing players at the club.

I would also add hold those who report to him accountable for their performances - for better or worse.

His job is to manage the organisation. The football side is just one element of the club.

MFKS
01-04-2014, 07:54 PM
I would also add hold those who report to him accountable for their performances - for better or worse.

His job is to manage the organisation. The football side is just one element of the club.

Your precisely right there are plenty of people across the board at the club who you can question their level of performance.

All we seem to do is hold to account the players and the head coach

Blackmac79
01-04-2014, 08:06 PM
I blame Ray Baartz. None of this would have happened if he wasn't on the pay roll of HSG while on the "Honorary Board".

militiamon
01-04-2014, 08:10 PM
Ok, enough.
I'm calling a truce.

http://toomuchfire.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/oj.jpg

lquiquer
01-04-2014, 08:13 PM
I blame Troy Palmer......only because no one else did

Pico
01-04-2014, 08:16 PM
I'd be very surprised if any of the jets or knights management, boards or employees have any real power under the HSG structure. They look like a bunch of recognisable figure heads to me.

Having said that middleby has made no secret that the emerging jets was his pet project, it's something I'm really impressed got off the ground it could have so easily been put in the too hard basket.

militiamon
01-04-2014, 08:56 PM
Re the peeps asking what Middleby has done wrong, didn't we have this discussion a while back in the Daily News thread? I forget who it was, but someone (Thomas?) made a great post with a list of his/management's cock-ups.

How's the bullshit about him not being accountable for all our shit management decisions, jeezus.
No one forced him into the job, he would get paid decent money to manage a freaking sporting club, and he's the one who puts his name to everything we do.

People are happy to have a go at a coach for a lack of results, when at the end of the day the coach relies on 14 other guys to do their job on game day. Why does this not also apply to management?

plague
01-04-2014, 09:00 PM
Re the peeps asking what Middleby has done wrong, didn't we have this discussion a while back in the Daily News thread? I forget who it was, but someone (Thomas?) made a great post with a list of his/management's cock-ups.

How's the bullshit about him not being accountable for all our shit management decisions, jeezus.
No one forced him into the job, he would get paid decent money to manage a freaking sporting club, and he's the one who puts his name to everything we do.

People are happy to have a go at a coach for a lack of results, when at the end of the day the coach relies on 14 other guys to do their job on game day. Why does this not also apply to management?

i think you're being a bit harsh.

militiamon
01-04-2014, 09:06 PM
:grin:

Thomas477
01-04-2014, 09:10 PM

I think I remember that as well, having a look now.

MFKS
01-04-2014, 10:14 PM

Great minds think alike :sup:

I was holding back on mentioning that in my other posts as a retort to anyone who went out of their way to reply and defend Middleby in a full on manner.

Middleby takes a paycheck for doing a job to oversee everything and for that comes a degree of accountability for performance. Just cause HSG don't hold him accountable doesn't mean the fans shouldn't.

Also if Palmer is the issue for us being poorly run why does Middleby still take the paycheck to be the fall guy for Palmers failings???

parksey
01-04-2014, 10:43 PM
the jets haven't made/won't make the finals and the mariners have/will. not really a valid point considering the mariner's management is quite poor as shown by their financial problems and the fact they lose key players every year.

and the point about signing griff and carney is just downright laughable. you've spent the past 3 months jacking your dick about griff being back and then try to use his signing as a negative to support your argument.

GazFish35
01-04-2014, 11:46 PM
The real issue is the price of coal.

sammydog
01-04-2014, 11:47 PM
Does Tinks own any coal anymore?

Thomas477
01-04-2014, 11:55 PM
and the point about signing griff and carney is just downright laughable. you've spent the past 3 months jacking your dick about griff being back and then try to use his signing as a negative to support your argument.

I don't think people were complaining about signing Griff, more so the pinning of our finals hopes being laid upon the shoulders of someone who hadn't played for a few months and was woefully short of match fitness.

Griff :wub:

front2
02-04-2014, 12:16 AM
What does Newcastle own ? I think we lost all right of passage in season 1.

MFKS
02-04-2014, 01:09 AM
the jets haven't made/won't make the finals and the mariners have/will. not really a valid point considering the mariner's management is quite poor as shown by their financial problems and the fact they lose key players every year.

It is a valid point when a club with less resources and opportunities as us despite losing players and being broke every year can actually make a successful fist at putting a competitive successful side on the park. Obviously they are doing something right despite their financial issues which are mainly down to them being the smallest market in the HAL and having a shitful base to work from that the Coast is

Whether I fap over Griff or not is irrelevant. Reality is the bloke is only now starting to achieve the levels of fitness and performance he is capable of. Matter of fact I will go as far as saying the bloke was that out of condition he shouldn't have been signed.

Considering it has taken the club the best part of 2 and a half months to get him up to speed either the people employed by Middleby to get our players fit are not up to it and Middleby is failing by continuing to employ them or Middleby has condoned and authorised the signing of a bloke who was so far below the required level of fitness it has taken 2 and a bit months to get him up to speed in a 3 month window. Either way he is selling the club short.

Considering there were other possible options available to sign in the mid season window to gamble on two blokes who are woefully short of fitness is naive careless and stupid particularly when you have a whole planet to sign players from who are fit and ready to go

Don't get me started with the 3 weeks it took to get Griffs clearance sorted :whistling:or Middleby's needless public embarrassment of Griff with the anger management shit:whistling:

Pico
02-04-2014, 09:01 AM
Does Tinks own any coal anymore?

Not anymore, but then tinks only owned coal after the Whitehaven merge. He's never really had coal mines operating just coal holdings, I think his last assets are property and a few minerals explorer's in Queensland, then HSG. It was pointed out last night on nbn that the jets with a few good OS destined young players might actually be one of his better assets but with the way the FFA structures their licence's having a straight sale where the existing owner breaks even or make a profit on the transfer seems unlikely, not when the FFA can strip the licence then sell it to the new owner and keep the profits themselves, just ask con.

Jetmaster
02-04-2014, 09:09 AM
TBH - all the good things stopped, and the professionalism dropped, as soon as Ken Edwards walked out the door.

Jeterpool
02-04-2014, 09:12 AM
TBH - all the good things stopped, and the professionalism dropped, as soon as Ken Edwards walked out the door.

You could also argue things went south once we lost Tsatsimas.

parksey
02-04-2014, 09:16 AM
haha no

hawk
02-04-2014, 09:59 AM
I agree with this. However, I was annoyed at the change to red and blue.

i was for 2 sec. Gold stoopid

http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/478_fat-guy-gold_chain_cross.jpg

GazFish35
02-04-2014, 12:15 PM
You could also argue things went south once we lost Tsatsimas.

this.
JT was the only thing keep Con's Jets from being a complete basket case.

Is the driving force behind much of WSW success off the field (player ecrutiment and community stuff, not da mitey RBB)