PDA

View Full Version : Grassroots Football

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Aegon
04-06-2019, 09:49 AM
i think this is the point though.
The clubs are 'supposed' to be going there, and 'supposed' to be sticking to the NNSW program. Last year of all the main teams were using the facility once a week (the other session was at their own ground). The NNSW coaches were there assisting every team in all sessions.

Fast forward to this year and its clear a lot of the teams arent using the facility at all, and some teams have dropped back to every 2nd week. Reasons have varied, but its either "we dont need the NNSW coaches". "we need more room instead of these smallish courts" to "parents dont want to be taking the kids all the way out to Speers Pt every week".
personally, I wanted our clubt to be there every week, but majority ruled so we arent. I like the NNSW coaches getting involved. they did different drills, they were a different voice and they kept things on the same path.

From Aegon Jr's clubs point of view - They don't use Speers Point at all for training. However they have Richard Hartley as a TD at every single training session and the instructions he is giving to the coaches are coming from the SAP coaching curriculum as he's in regular contact with Leo Bertos. RH turns up to the majority of games and is quite hands on when it comes to what he expects from the coaching at the club. I would expect that other clubs TD's should be as visible and they should be the POC's to NNSWF to ensure that training is being done to the curriculum.

its clear now the emphasis has been put on winning games. teams are set up, coached and instructed on field more about winning than they are technique and individual improvement. and thats not just the 'best' teams. lots of the teams that are getting flogged every week are showing no signs of individual improvement. it only takes 5 mins of listening to their coaches on the sidelines to see they dont care about anything other than winning. Seeing a kid take a left foot shot when warranted (and missing) is met with groans of disappointment instead of encouragement for doing the right thing.
Its about coaches approaching parents at the end of last year to get kids to come trial at their clubs, instead of maybe working harder with the kids they have.

This is crap, no ifs buts or maybes about it. Super happy with the coaching my boy is getting if this is the norm.

i think its clear that the program is not panning out the way it was intended, and whether it is a good thing or not will probably not be found out in 10 years when we are bemoaning that there are no local kids coming through the Jets. i admire NNSW for trying something different, but they prob need to put their foot down to make sure its done 'their way' and not left for all the clubs to dictate.

This isn't a NNSW initiative, NNSW run it within the region but this is the direction from FFA.

again though, NNSW aint blameless here. their communication with the clubs esp with scheduling has been pretty poor. if they want everyone to buy in (and pay for it) they need to be way more organised.

I certainly hope the club is receiving more direction from NNSW, as from my perspective they are non-existent. Draw releases have been woeful, pre game organisation especially on the grass fields is abysmal, I could keep going on but I won't.

Also, and apologies for the rant, but im going to give a big shout out to Olympic and Magic. They are portrayed on here by some in ways that i dont agree with, but their approach to SAP has been top notch. their teams are full of really skilled kids, their coaches are great to the kids and they 'seem' to have been really really loyal to the majority of the kids they started the program with last year. I havent seen much of Olympic this year, but id say this year there are a few other teams that are right up at the level of Magic and Olympic, and its been great to see. Rather than be jealous of teams like that, others have aspired to join them. i hear plenty of negative comments about those clubs on here, and you all prob have your reasons why. but from what ive seen, they dont have a magic wand they wave over players to make them better, they put in the effort and it brings results.

If every club had the same approach (and some do) its gonna bring on a higher level quality of kids for the future.

Both teams have been awesome for the boys to play against. Great competitive games at a high skill level where the coaches are obviously telling the boys all the right things.

Aegon
04-06-2019, 09:59 AM
Well said mate. The second kids stop enjoying it their development will go backwards. That’s why I feel a more competitive community comp would be beneficial - it would allow those talented kids who are not mentally ready for a higher pressure environment yet to thrive. It would be good to see some proper grading at U8 and U9 community level to give those kids the chance to compete against each other.

We’re fairly new the Newy. Are there good private coaching available? I’ve also been told about a futsal comp in the summer. Any thoughts on that? Are there other summer comps?

Private coaching by Jobe Wheelhouse Football - https://jwfootball.com.au/
Not sure if anyone else runs any academies or coaching clinics in the area? If they do it's not well advertised.

There are various Futsal comps, just choose a centre close to you: http://nnswfutsal.com.au/competitions/

With regards to summer comps I have absolutely no idea. The only one I know of is by Newcastle Football at Wallarah oval for Under 10's but this is by invitation only? Details I received as per the below:

The Newcastle Football Summer Program is very popular and participation is by invitation. The program is post SAP season and involves 1 training session on Tuesdays and 1 game on Friday evenings. The games are 9 v 9. Last year the cost was $150 which will be the same or lower this year. The program consists of 14 games, (10 Fridays and 4 Tuesdays) and each player is provided with a full UMBRO kit.
SAP players finish the season on the weekend of the 7/8th September. The Summer Program will start the following week but Tuesday training for participating (invited) SAP players is voluntary for the first month. I certainly realise the workload for some lads this year but it has been pointed out to me by a parent that once SAP is over the boys cut back to 1 night training and 1 game as opposed to two nights and two games with SAP. With the summer program 8 equal squads of stronger u9 and u10 players make for a competitive competition. Some boys played in it last year as u9s. More details about this great program will be provided in the coming weeks. The program concludes at the end of November to allow December and January as the R and R months.

I think they use the Newcastle Football Holiday clinic and nominations from clubs to select the players to play in this comp?? Not 100% sure though.

plague
04-06-2019, 11:06 AM
We’re fairly new the Newy. Are there good private coaching available? I’ve also been told about a futsal comp in the summer. Any thoughts on that? Are there other summer comps?

i think Jobe Wheelhouse is the go-to dude here. Have heard plenty of good things about him and his programs. Theres prob plenty of people in and around SAP that would have dealt with him directly so you wont have to go far to hear more.

Futsal and stuff im not sure of. Plague Jnr has played some before but its only been a muck around with his mates. I am reluctant to do any summer comps etc as I want Plague Jnr out doing other sports/interests over summer in order to recharge his batteries. Soccer takes up a lot of the kids time, and by the end of it you can see a lot of them just need a little break. by the time the trials are done and the season is back on they are ready to rip in.
the break does my kid good, others are prob keen to carry on 12 months a year though.

Plague Jnrs coach and the NNSW blokes have given me plenty of good tips on what to work on during the down months anyway. they really really emphasise the core skills of contact, first touch and dribbling so we do a lot of muck around stuff like that, but nothing structured. again, i want him enjoying his sport in 10-20-30 years time whatever level hes at. being the super bestest kid right now doesnt matter, im proud of him whatever he does. i just want him to be happy and doing it for himself, not for me or anyone else.

football_macigian23
04-06-2019, 02:08 PM
i think this is the point though.
The clubs are 'supposed' to be going there, and 'supposed' to be sticking to the NNSW program. Last year of all the main teams were using the facility once a week (the other session was at their own ground). The NNSW coaches were there assisting every team in all sessions.

Fast forward to this year and its clear a lot of the teams arent using the facility at all, and some teams have dropped back to every 2nd week. Reasons have varied, but its either "we dont need the NNSW coaches". "we need more room instead of these smallish courts" to "parents dont want to be taking the kids all the way out to Speers Pt every week".
personally, I wanted our clubt to be there every week, but majority ruled so we arent. I like the NNSW coaches getting involved. they did different drills, they were a different voice and they kept things on the same path.

its clear now the emphasis has been put on winning games. teams are set up, coached and instructed on field more about winning than they are technique and individual improvement. and thats not just the 'best' teams. lots of the teams that are getting flogged every week are showing no signs of individual improvement. it only takes 5 mins of listening to their coaches on the sidelines to see they dont care about anything other than winning. Seeing a kid take a left foot shot when warranted (and missing) is met with groans of disappointment instead of encouragement for doing the right thing.
Its about coaches approaching parents at the end of last year to get kids to come trial at their clubs, instead of maybe working harder with the kids they have.

i think its clear that the program is not panning out the way it was intended, and whether it is a good thing or not will probably not be found out in 10 years when we are bemoaning that there are no local kids coming through the Jets. i admire NNSW for trying something different, but they prob need to put their foot down to make sure its done 'their way' and not left for all the clubs to dictate.

again though, NNSW aint blameless here. their communication with the clubs esp with scheduling has been pretty poor. if they want everyone to buy in (and pay for it) they need to be way more organised.

Also, NNSW coaches are at the games, and TSP was kind of a trial based system so all those teams mentioned will get their kids in if they are good enough. they are still being seen.

Also, and apologies for the rant, but im going to give a big shout out to Olympic and Magic. They are portrayed on here by some in ways that i dont agree with, but their approach to SAP has been top notch. their teams are full of really skilled kids, their coaches are great to the kids and they 'seem' to have been really really loyal to the majority of the kids they started the program with last year. I havent seen much of Olympic this year, but id say this year there are a few other teams that are right up at the level of Magic and Olympic, and its been great to see. Rather than be jealous of teams like that, others have aspired to join them. i hear plenty of negative comments about those clubs on here, and you all prob have your reasons why. but from what ive seen, they dont have a magic wand they wave over players to make them better, they put in the effort and it brings results.

If every club had the same approach (and some do) its gonna bring on a higher level quality of kids for the future.

Clubs were offered the opportunity to train at LMRFF but clubs declined Northern's offer. Our club attends every Tuesday afternoon and the improvement that our Under 9's have shown is really encouraging. We've gone from big touch ups and not competing to tighter games with the occasional win but we compete in every match which is encouraging. Individually all the players have improved as a result.

The help of the NNSW Advisors especially Neil Orr has played a big part in it. Our coach is very happy work with them and it's showing

Reds Forever
12-06-2019, 03:14 PM
12years current SAP program. the Newcastle teams (both getting run by NNSWF) are getting towelled. Is this due to dilution of talent due to other Newcastle Football initiatives such as NET? Or a poor indictment of NNSWF coaching.

http://websites.sportstg.com/comp_info.cgi?c=0-8304-0-522689-0&pool=1&a=LADDER

Definitely not anything to do with coaching. Their U11 just won State Title and U12 came in 5th, ahead of Hunter Hawks and Emerging Jets who finished last and second last.

Newcastle U12 teams this year are a bit light on with numbers which is good for the kids as they get more game time. Plus 3 kids are only U11 but pushed up to test themselves more.

Other thing is that many sides are only playing 1 team and therefore are playing their State sides each and every week. These same sides play to win by not playing equal time amongst squad and players in set positions.

Aegon
12-06-2019, 04:01 PM
Definitely not anything to do with coaching. Their U11 just won State Title and U12 came in 5th, ahead of Hunter Hawks and Emerging Jets who finished last and second last.

Newcastle U12 teams this year are a bit light on with numbers which is good for the kids as they get more game time. Plus 3 kids are only U11 but pushed up to test themselves more.

Other thing is that many sides are only playing 1 team and therefore are playing their State sides each and every week. These same sides play to win by not playing equal time amongst squad and players in set positions.

My point is more that the Newcastle teams used to run 2 teams each year and dominate. Now the kids have options are they playing NET with a club rather than playing for the NNSWF teams? Macquarie and Hunter Valley don't have anything similiar in the 11's or 12's that I know of. TBF I have no idea what kids are part of the teams or who is coaching them. Just that Newcastle and the emerging Jets used to compete for top honours in these age groups with the occasional decent macquarie or coast teams.

londonboy
16-06-2019, 10:27 PM
This sounds Iike a good initiative. So, teams are a mixture of u9s and u10s? Any idea if the 8 teams are one from each of the stronger clubs (1 from Jaffas, 1 from Olympic etc) or are boys mixed-and-matched once they start training?

Negative Police
16-06-2019, 11:44 PM
This sounds Iike a good initiative. So, teams are a mixture of u9s and u10s? Any idea if the 8 teams are one from each of the stronger clubs (1 from Jaffas, 1 from Olympic etc) or are boys mixed-and-matched once they start training?

Regarding which comp?

Aegon
17-06-2019, 12:49 AM
Regarding which comp?

I assume he’s talking about the Newcastle Football Summer Program.

To answer the original question - I have no idea. I am under the assumption that RH does his best to create 8 evenly matched teams with no club affiliations.

Aegon Jr received an invitation as an U9 to the same comp today. From everything I have been told it is a good competition and great for player development.

londonboy
17-06-2019, 07:40 AM
Yes, sorry - fat fingers failed to include the post I was replying to!

I was indeed asking about the summer NET comp. It does sound good.

Well done to Aegon Jr. Was he selected by RH or nominated by his club? Are others from his u9 team going along as well?

Aegon
17-06-2019, 10:23 AM
Was he selected by RH or nominated by his club? Are others from his u9 team going along as well?

He was selected by RH, The details he provides around the selection are:

Players from Newcastle Football u/9s and u/10s who are identified from the NET and SAP programs, along with the better players selected from Newcastle Football clinics are placed in equally formatted teams.

With regards to your second question, I have no idea yet as we only received the invitation yesterday,

londonboy
17-06-2019, 10:35 AM
Sounds like Jr has done well. Sounds like RH is out watching games then?

Aegon
17-06-2019, 10:56 AM
Sounds like Jr has done well. Sounds like RH is out watching games then?

He watches a lot of the SAP games that involve Jaffas and Olympic due to being the TD for both clubs SAP. Not sure if he watches other Newcastle Football SAP teams. I assume he watches a large amount of the NET games as well.

londonboy
17-06-2019, 12:45 PM
He was selected by RH, The details he provides around the selection are:

Players from Newcastle Football u/9s and u/10s who are identified from the NET and SAP programs, along with the better players selected from Newcastle Football clinics are placed in equally formatted teams.

With regards to your second question, I have no idea yet as we only received the invitation yesterday,

Clubs were offered the opportunity to train at LMRFF but clubs declined Northern's offer. Our club attends every Tuesday afternoon and the improvement that our Under 9's have shown is really encouraging. We've gone from big touch ups and not competing to tighter games with the occasional win but we compete in every match which is encouraging. Individually all the players have improved as a result.

The help of the NNSW Advisors especially Neil Orr has played a big part in it. Our coach is very happy work with them and it's showing

Which SAP clubs do train at the LMRFF? My youngest wants to do SAP next year but probably won’t make the Olympics, Magic, Jaffa’s. I think he’d benefit from NNSW input so it may be worth steering towards those clubs who embrace it a bit more.

Aegon
17-06-2019, 02:11 PM
Which SAP clubs do train at the LMRFF? My youngest wants to do SAP next year but probably won’t make the Olympics, Magic, Jaffa’s. I think he’d benefit from NNSW input so it may be worth steering towards those clubs who embrace it a bit more.

I have a mate of mine who's boy is in Warners Bay SAP. I "think" they train one night at the gardens and one night at the LMRFF. I think New Lambton might train there 1 night a week as well but not 100% positive.

The advice I was given before Jr joined this season was to shortlist several clubs and get him to trial at them. There is no harm in trialing with Jaffas, Olympic or Magic as it will give you a good gauge of where your young lad stands. If he doesn't make it there have a couple of others you follow on facebook or something and watch for when their trials are as well.

londonboy
17-06-2019, 02:30 PM
I have a mate of mine who's boy is in Warners Bay SAP. I "think" they train one night at the gardens and one night at the LMRFF. I think New Lambton might train there 1 night a week as well but not 100% positive.

The advice I was given before Jr joined this season was to shortlist several clubs and get him to trial at them. There is no harm in trialing with Jaffas, Olympic or Magic as it will give you a good gauge of where your young lad stands. If he doesn't make it there have a couple of others you follow on facebook or something and watch for when their trials are as well.

Good advice mate. Thanks.

dan
17-06-2019, 03:26 PM
Good advice mate. Thanks.

Hi londonboy, Aegon might have gotten Warner’s Bay & Wallsend mixed up there but that’s alright.
I’m Dan & I’m the SAP Coordinator at Wallsend FC. We do train at The Gardens & LMRFF while catering for boys and girls as in 2 years there will be a direct path from our 9’s SAP through to our NewFM NL1 men youth grades (currently applying for NPL licence) and our Women’s Premier League youth grades.
We always try our best to give the best product at an affordable price, $650 for new players gets you everything, no hidden costs.
Flick me an email if you want more information or want to get your young one to watch a session & see if it’s for you in 2020.
youth@wallsendfc.com.au

Aegon
17-06-2019, 03:56 PM
Hi londonboy, Aegon might have gotten Warner’s Bay & Wallsend mixed up there but that’s alright.
I’m Dan & I’m the SAP Coordinator at Wallsend FC. We do train at The Gardens & LMRFF while catering for boys and girls as in 2 years there will be a direct path from our 9’s SAP through to our NewFM NL1 men youth grades (currently applying for NPL licence) and our Women’s Premier League youth grades.
We always try our best to give the best product at an affordable price, $650 for new players gets you everything, no hidden costs.
Flick me an email if you want more information or want to get your young one to watch a session & see if it’s for you in 2020.
youth@wallsendfc.com.au

100% correct. I got Warners Bay and Wallsend confused. My apologies.

dan
17-06-2019, 04:48 PM
100% correct. I got Warners Bay and Wallsend confused. My apologies.

No need to apologise mate👌🏼

londonboy
17-06-2019, 05:07 PM
youth@wallsendfc.com.au

Thanks Dan - really appreciate the information. I’ve heard Wallsend really focus on kids development as opposed to wins, so you’ll definitely be on our radar if we go down the SAP route.

londonboy
18-06-2019, 10:43 PM
For anyone frustrated with the lack of referees provided for SAP games, the below information from NNSW Football might be of interest:

"There is no component in the registration fees for SAP under 9 and 10 players for match fees for official referees. This is why official referees are not appointed to these fixtures. It has always been the case that club referees, or game leaders, and not official referees, have officiated on these matches.

It is also not correct that official referees officiate on community football Mini-Roos matches from the under 8 age group upwards. Community football clubs appoint their own people as game leaders to referee Mini-Roos under 8 and 9 matches. Official referees only officiate on under 10 and 11 Mini-Roos matches, where there are enough official referees to be appointed to them"

What I find interesting here is that u10 in community football have official referees appointed to them, but not u10 SAP. My own experience of u8 community football this season is that we have had a non-parent ref for every game.

I know there are some club officials involved with SAP who contribute to these forums. I am curious whether the referee issue has been raised by clubs in SAP with NNSWF? It seems every week there seems to be some problem with refereeing. It occurs to me by NNSWF perhaps withholding a small portion of SAP fees from each club and using this to create a pool of refs everyone wins. With the SAP games all being at 'hubs' it appears logistically easy to arrange. Am I missing something?

Captain_Carl
19-06-2019, 08:46 AM
What are everyone's thoughts on SAP vs NET? Is the quality much better in SAP than NET? What are the benefits of NET over SAP, or visa versa?

About a month ago Macquarie teams selected for state championships played against select NET teams.
In 11’s the NET team won easily (5-0 or 5-1) but in the U12’s the opposite occurred. Macquarie won 6-1. Take from that what you will.

Aegon
19-06-2019, 09:22 AM
I know there are some club officials involved with SAP who contribute to these forums. I am curious whether the referee issue has been raised by clubs in SAP with NNSWF? It seems every week there seems to be some problem with refereeing. It occurs to me by NNSWF perhaps withholding a small portion of SAP fees from each club and using this to create a pool of refs everyone wins. With the SAP games all being at 'hubs' it appears logistically easy to arrange. Am I missing something?

I would love to know what NNSWF are doing with the huge chunk they take from the SAP fees? There is minimal supervision even at Speers Point. The clubs are doing everything themselves or with parent volunteers so it definitely begs the question as to what NNSWF are contributing to.

plague
19-06-2019, 11:15 AM
For anyone frustrated with the lack of referees provided for SAP games, the below information from NNSW Football might be of interest:

"There is no component in the registration fees for SAP under 9 and 10 players for match fees for official referees. This is why official referees are not appointed to these fixtures. It has always been the case that club referees, or game leaders, and not official referees, have officiated on these matches.

It is also not correct that official referees officiate on community football Mini-Roos matches from the under 8 age group upwards. Community football clubs appoint their own people as game leaders to referee Mini-Roos under 8 and 9 matches. Official referees only officiate on under 10 and 11 Mini-Roos matches, where there are enough official referees to be appointed to them"

What I find interesting here is that u10 in community football have official referees appointed to them, but not u10 SAP. My own experience of u8 community football this season is that we have had a non-parent ref for every game.

just on this. My kid is in SAP 10's now and went through it last year in 9's.
Ive watched a lot of SAP games (not just my own kids team), and reffed quite a few.
Ive never, and i mean NEVER seen a game 'decided' by a ref.
Ive seen maybe 2 or 3 occasions where ive wondered if the ref was competent enough, but on every one of those occasions the 'better' team has 'won'.

The only time ive seen any issues with refs is with moron coaches (and the occasional......very occasional, moron parent) complaining about decisions. Mind you, I've never seen a coach interject mid match to say "yo, my kid was offisde then, chalk that goal off". No, its always a moan about their kids getting shafted by the evil refs.
If NNSW had Pierluigi Collina out there these same moron coaches would still complain.

More games have been lost by poor coaching of the kids than any refs these past few years thats for sure.

Id rather NNSW invest more money in coaching programs and enforce some sort of standard for the SAP program than worry about refs for these early years. The kids are gonna get more out of a better educated coach than a better educated ref at this age.

Also, last year at some Magic hub games, Magic offered some of their youth players to ref SAP games instead of parents. Im not sure if these kids were training to be refs, or whether the club just wanted their youth players to see all sides of the game, but it was a cool initiative and of course they all did a great job.

Also, again again again, although the kids know if they won or lost, results dont matter in this program. So instead of complaining to refs, these coaches just need to coach their kids and their kids will get better.

having said that, right next to the rule sheet is the code of conduct sheet. Every parent, player and coach has access to it, but i doubt many of them have read it. most dont understand the offside interpretation or the restart rule. if coaches and parents arent gonna pay the respect to me by reading those sheets, then i sure as hell aint entertaining their thoughts on any decisions i make.

Aegon
19-06-2019, 12:05 PM
Ive watched a lot of SAP games (not just my own kids team), and reffed quite a few.
Ive seen maybe 2 or 3 occasions where ive wondered if the ref was competent enough, but on every one of those occasions the 'better' team has 'won'.

The only time ive seen any issues with refs is with moron coaches (and the occasional......very occasional, moron parent) complaining about decisions. Mind you, I've never seen a coach interject mid match to say "yo, my kid was offisde then, chalk that goal off". No, its always a moan about their kids getting shafted by the evil refs.
If NNSW had Pierluigi Collina out there these same moron coaches would still complain.

More games have been lost by poor coaching of the kids than any refs these past few years thats for sure.

Id rather NNSW invest more money in coaching programs and enforce some sort of standard for the SAP program than worry about refs for these early years. The kids are gonna get more out of a better educated coach than a better educated ref at this age.

Also, last year at some Magic hub games, Magic offered some of their youth players to ref SAP games instead of parents. Im not sure if these kids were training to be refs, or whether the club just wanted their youth players to see all sides of the game, but it was a cool initiative and of course they all did a great job.

Also, again again again, although the kids know if they won or lost, results dont matter in this program. So instead of complaining to refs, these coaches just need to coach their kids and their kids will get better.

having said that, right next to the rule sheet is the code of conduct sheet. Every parent, player and coach has access to it, but i doubt many of them have read it. most dont understand the offside interpretation or the restart rule. if coaches and parents arent gonna pay the respect to me by reading those sheets, then i sure as hell aint entertaining their thoughts on any decisions i make.

Our clubs coaches have been instructed to teach the kids to play the offside rule to the extent where I have witnessed the coaches call to the game leader to blow offside.
There is no direction within the club as to who undertakes the game leader task as it has been 100% pushed back to the clubs, what our teams have been doing for the majority of games has been leveraging off the NPL Youth players to do the game leader activity. This doesn't work when we have games at the same or similar times. This season I'd say 70-80 % of our games have been done by boys from the 13's or 14's NPL and last week there was a boy from the Jets Youth doing one of the games.

I agree with the above though, there are several coaches/managers out there that take the officiating way to seriously and there is a huge disparity in interpretation on how to play offside. We had one coach blow up saying that there is no offside when their boy up front kept getting pinged for it.

It's funny, because the crowd and bench seem to be much better behaved when it's the youth players officiating the games, all instances of poor sideline behavior this year has come when it's a parent volunteer.

Aegon
19-06-2019, 12:25 PM

Just on this point. I don't think there is any issue with refs deciding matches. It's more about inconsistency in rule interpretations and instructions from the clubs. Add to that a general reluctance from parents to do the games due to sideline criticism.

plague
19-06-2019, 12:30 PM
Our clubs coaches have been instructed to teach the kids to play the offside rule to the extent where I have witnessed the coaches call to the game leader to blow offside.
There is no direction within the club as to who undertakes the game leader task as it has been 100% pushed back to the clubs, what our teams have been doing for the majority of games has been leveraging off the NPL Youth players to do the game leader activity. This doesn't work when we have games at the same or similar times. This season I'd say 70-80 % of our games have been done by boys from the 13's or 14's NPL and last week there was a boy from the Jets Youth doing one of the games.

I agree with the above though, there are several coaches/managers out there that take the officiating way to seriously and there is a huge disparity in interpretation on how to play offside. We had one coach blow up saying that there is no offside when their boy up front kept getting pinged for it.

It's funny, because the crowd and bench seem to be much better behaved when it's the youth players officiating the games, all instances of poor sideline behavior this year has come when it's a parent volunteer.

ok, a couple of points here.
Why do youth players ref your games? Is it because of a direct request from your club or lack of volunteers from the parents?
Because as parents we need to be real careful on that one.

As for the offside rule. Its on the sheet, its written down. I agree it is up for some interpretation, but only on the key word. Blatant. I read it and went to the NNSW tech directors at training and asked them how they wanted it reffed. They explained to me pretty straight forward how they wanted it done and thats how i ref it. It was a 2 min conversation they were only too happy to have.

In the past ive told coaches from other teams before the games how im gonna ref it just to get it clear. if during the games they then want to argue well thats not my problem.
For coaches to think there is either no offside or it is the same as FIFA rules again shows the lack of respect they have for the program, and goes back to my bigger point of a lot of coaches not having the knowledge or ability to coach these programs.

londonboy
19-06-2019, 01:58 PM

I definitely don’t have as much experience as you with SAP, but it’s not the ‘result’ poor referees effect it’s the game itself. Kids, coaches, parents can handle occasional poor decisions, but lots, especially with perceived bias thrown in, can change an atmosphere pretty quick. The Magic / Jaffas use of youth players is perfect- people are much more likely to get onto a parent than a teenager. Perhaps this is the simple way forward? It will need buy in from all clubs - and availability of refs of course.

My main point was around u10s community having officials but not u10 SAP. This surprised me as SAP is meant to be the gold standard, yet is not afforded the same independent refs as community. It doesn’t make sense to me.

Aegon
19-06-2019, 02:10 PM
ok, a couple of points here.
Why do youth players ref your games? Is it because of a direct request from your club or lack of volunteers from the parents?
Because as parents we need to be real careful on that one.

Because they want to, are motivated and tend to control the game with little to no influence from the sidelines. No direction from the club. I think one of the boys who does our games is actually a refereeing trainer.

As for the offside rule. Its on the sheet, its written down. I agree it is up for some interpretation, but only on the key word. Blatant. I read it and went to the NNSW tech directors at training and asked them how they wanted it reffed. They explained to me pretty straight forward how they wanted it done and thats how i ref it. It was a 2 min conversation they were only too happy to have.

Completely agree, that's how it is interpreted at our club. The game leaders are told a few key things before they officiate any game:

Stop play for injuries
Pull up blatent offsides
All free kicks are indirect
Enforce the drop off rule

There is a problem with either NNSWF communicating this, or the clubs or coaches enforcing it.

plague
19-06-2019, 03:10 PM
I think one of the boys who does our games is actually a refereeing trainer.

yeah i think these type of people are the best source.
i mean, if they are out at the facility, why not combine ref courses with SAP games? If refs are doing the theory, get them on the park a few weekends a season to get some practice in. Smaller field, decent level of play. Once qualified, move them into the general pool of refs.

Negative Police
19-06-2019, 03:33 PM
About a month ago Macquarie teams selected for state championships played against select NET teams.
In 11’s the NET team won easily (5-0 or 5-1) but in the U12’s the opposite occurred. Macquarie won 6-1. Take from that what you will.

The NET rep is a collective of all 8 teams into an A & B team. The 2 Macq teams were divided into A & B. 11's Net were awesome.

Some of those nets kids would make it easily into SAP teams but maybe their progression is just as good where they are currently.

Goatscheese
20-06-2019, 12:15 AM

Community players (or rather parents) pay ref fees as part of their rego, SAP don't as indicated in the email you mentioned.

What's worse is that all these interdistrict players from U9 to All Age pay for ref fees and yet have games where there is no ref and yet there is no refund from the associations.

Aegon
20-06-2019, 12:15 PM
Community players (or rather parents) pay ref fees as part of their rego, SAP don't as indicated in the email you mentioned.

What's worse is that all these interdistrict players from U9 to All Age pay for ref fees and yet have games where there is no ref and yet there is no refund from the associations.

As I have mentioned before, I'd love to know what NNSWF are doing with the cut the take from SAP registration. The amount of money they take is twice what his full registration fees were in Under 8's.

And TBH with fees with uniform already above $1000 if you added ref payments (22 Rounds, 11 Counted as home, 2 games per home round = 22 games. $10 per game. $220 more per teams. /that by 10 players and you end up with $22 extra) it would make minimal difference but would be well worth the investment.

Captain_Carl
20-06-2019, 11:31 PM
The Macquarie U12’s are very polished. They even had a narrow loss to the U12 Jets 2-1 in an 80 minute trial game. The NPL clubs should take note as most U13 teams this season have struggled to compete with them (the Jets).

Aegon
22-06-2019, 12:39 PM
The Under 11 selected NET team has beaten the Newcastle and Macquarie state championship teams quite convincingly in recent games. Good little squad there.

Retired01
24-06-2019, 01:16 PM
We have now had 2 rounds of the split SAP competition. Jaffas had wins all round against New Lambton last weekend in the 10s
Have results changed much? are they still lopsided?

Jaffas and Edgy were washed out on the weekend
Does anyone have other results? Or are the usual suspects still way ahead?

Aegon
24-06-2019, 01:33 PM
We have now had 2 rounds of the split SAP competition. Jaffas had wins all round against New Lambton last weekend in the 10s

Jaffas and Edgy were washed out on the weekend

The New Lambton 9's were very strong. I think they had a clean sweep against the Jaffas 9's or there might have been a draw somewhere. Close games all round from what I saw.

In the 9's there are a bunch of teams that are quite strong:
Olympic, Magic, Jaffas & New Lambton all have 2 strong teams. Lake Macquarie have 1 strong team.

Edgeworth, Maitland, Valentine & Charlestown are slightly below the 4 teams above but are capable on their day. All look to have 2 evenly spread teams. Adamstown & Singleton have 1 team only and are at this level also.

The Association girls teams, South Cardiff, Weston, Wallsend & the 2nd Lake Macquarie team are not as polished as the teams above, but are developing well.

plague
24-06-2019, 01:45 PM

I watched one of the 'better' 10's clubs go round recently and 'results' is a good word for you to use there.

one of their teams featured prob 3 of the better players in the program, were very well coached and played really really well. they scored a few early and had to endure a pretty decent comeback from the other team. skill level was fantastic. great game. for one of the best teams in the comp to 'win' by only a goal or 2 was good for everyone. and to see the kids mingling after the game knowing they'd all been in a good contest was fantastic. as, mind you, seeing the 2 coaches have a good 20 min chat and both coaches seek out players to congratulate them from both teams was awesome. for everyone concerned that type of game, rather than yet another 15-0 flogging, is what is gonna make these kids better players.

in the other game the team from that same club just booted long balls despite being under the pump for good parts of the game. their skill level was not at the level of their other team, yet (i think) they scored more goals because they relied on getting 1 v 1 in the backfield and had a few go their way. when the opposition beat their man one kid in particular just grabbed shirts or kicked legs out. he must have given away 6 free kicks on one half just hacking away. but it worked, the game was stopped for the free kick and everyone got a chance to reset

one team in that club seemed to be the epitome of the program, great skill, good attitude and fair play. the other was hell bent on winning and that was all that mattered. funny part is, once it goes to 1 team per club in the future, the kids in the 'lesser' team are all prob gonna get shafted and i dont think much of it will be their fault.

i still think the 'better' clubs should be running 2 teams next year because casting this many kids out at this age cant be good for the future. the top 6 clubs in the program can all support and nurture 2 teams in order to get the best out of them and help them get to the next level. but yeah, some of these teams have to start having a look at what they are doing. because some of these kids are being done a disservice.

plague
24-06-2019, 01:48 PM
We have now had 2 rounds of the split SAP competition.

i take it your youngun is part of the Jaffas program.
legit question as a parent, do you have any concerns over the amount of extra work the kids are doing at the moment? is it true they are doing extra training and games? do you see this as being sustainable all the way through til puberty?

im not knocking the Jaffas, at all. i just found it interesting that they seem to be doing so much extra than all the other clubs. or is it not that bad? always wondered from a parents perspective thats all.

onlooker
24-06-2019, 02:13 PM

HV 11’s girls playing in the 9’s have had two weekends of good hard fought games..

With a draw and a win over Weston and a narrow loss and a win over Lake Macquarie last weekend. When my daughter joined the team in round 6 they were getting beaten by some big scores. Towards the back end of the first half they started to get a few close matches but have to say the last two weekends of games have been the best on most even games I have seen them play. Which is great all round..

plague
24-06-2019, 02:19 PM
The New Lambton 9's were very strong. I think they had a clean sweep against the Jaffas 9's or there might have been a draw somewhere. Close games all round from what I saw.

New Lambton 9's have one very very special little player in their squad. He's apparently only 7 (playing a few years up) and has even filled in for the 10's and handled himself really well.

hes a great kid too, def one of the ones that can go anywhere as long as the coaching helps him develop.

Retired01
24-06-2019, 04:15 PM
I don't have an opinion on the extra training really. As long as the boys want to go I'm for it and aren't tied to it with any repercussions on attendance I don't care.

I have heard a rumour that coaches have been discussing the quality and results coming out of the TSP between clubs.
Players not improving
Players developing issues
Club coaches having no input to helping their players to improve so called new skills.

What I can work out is that it appears to be a complete offline system where no new players were ever added or removed as initially discussed.

londonboy
24-06-2019, 06:00 PM

In the 9's there are a bunch of teams that are quite strong:
Olympic, Magic, Jaffas & New Lambton all have 2 strong teams. Lake Macquarie have 1 strong team.

Edgeworth, Maitland, Valentine & Charlestown are slightly below the 4 teams above but are capable on their day. All look to have 2 evenly spread teams. Adamstown & Singleton have 1 team only and are at this level also.

The Association girls teams, South Cardiff, Weston, Wallsend & the 2nd Lake Macquarie team are not as polished as the teams above, but are developing well.

This is interesting, as my observation of the first half of u9 SAP games was that New Lambton had a clear 'A' and 'B' team, in a similar way to Lake Macquarie. Perhaps they have done away with this for the second half of the draw? Or perhaps the B Team have improved a lot? It would be a great credit to the players and coaches if that were the case as I understood that the New Lambton B team had struggled somewhat in the early stages.

I think all teams have some very good players. Yes, some teams are a bit more advanced than others, but to my eyes SAP definitely appears to be improving players structure and technique. Again, credit to coaches and players. It will be interesting to know how the split draw effects the supposed weaker teams. Hopefully, more competitive games will breed confidence and help their players push on and improve.

londonboy
24-06-2019, 06:05 PM
i take it your youngun is part of the Jaffas program.
legit question as a parent, do you have any concerns over the amount of extra work the kids are doing at the moment? is it true they are doing extra training and games? do you see this as being sustainable all the way through til puberty?

im not knocking the Jaffas, at all. i just found it interesting that they seem to be doing so much extra than all the other clubs. or is it not that bad? always wondered from a parents perspective thats all.

When do they get time for extra training and games??? I understood a lot of the Jaffas boys do the Jobe Wheelhouse training and then I guess a lot of them have been selected in the Newcastle Football summer NET program. Do they do more training on top of all that?!?

On the summer NET, have selected boys began training for this already? I thought this was an 'end of the season' thing.

Aegon
24-06-2019, 11:02 PM
When do they get time for extra training and games??? I understood a lot of the Jaffas boys do the Jobe Wheelhouse training and then I guess a lot of them have been selected in the Newcastle Football summer NET program. Do they do more training on top of all that?!?

On the summer NET, have selected boys began training for this already? I thought this was an 'end of the season' thing.

None of the boys in the 9’s Jaffa’s do Jobe Wheelhouse during the season to the best of my knowledge.

Some of the boys do Newcastle Football’s training on a Wednesday on top of what they do with the club.

None of the Summer NET have started training. It starts in September I think.

Aegon
24-06-2019, 11:03 PM
Interestingly I saw Cessnock City advertising for coaches for 2020. In their list they have included under 9 and under 10 SAP coaches. I wonder if this is a condition of applying for an NPL license. I hope so.

plague
24-06-2019, 11:09 PM
Interestingly I saw Cessnock City advertising for coaches for 2020. In their list they have included under 9 and under 10 SAP coaches. I wonder if this is a condition of applying for an NPL license. I hope so.

I thought Cessnock had a 9's team last year.
Could be mistaken though.

Negative Police
25-06-2019, 12:15 AM
I thought Cessnock had a 9's team last year.
Could be mistaken though.

nah no cessnock teams last year. There are a few more teams this year in the 9's particularly with the girls in the 9's.

Negative Police
25-06-2019, 12:25 AM

Nothing more than other boys can do anywhere else. Therell be summer comps everywhere as well. up to the kids i guess

londonboy
25-06-2019, 07:04 AM
None of the boys in the 9’s Jaffa’s do Jobe Wheelhouse during the season to the best of my knowledge.

Some of the boys do Newcastle Football’s training on a Wednesday on top of what they do with the club.

None of the Summer NET have started training. It starts in September I think.

So the Wednesday Newcastle Football training is a Jaffas-only thing? Or are boys in the NET program included as well?

londonboy
25-06-2019, 07:13 AM

Yes, I saw this as well. They are advertising for a SAP Coordinator as well, so must be joining next year. The more the merrier I say.

The adverts are asking for SAP coaches to have a “Senior Licence or completing C Licence”. Does NNSWF have a minimum coaching requirement for SAP coaches? I’m assuming coaches need to have more than the Grassroots training and/or the Skills Training certificate?

Aegon
25-06-2019, 09:08 AM
So the Wednesday Newcastle Football training is a Jaffas-only thing? Or are boys in the NET program included as well?

No, not Jaffas only. There are boys from other SAP teams and also some other boys from some of the newcastle community 9's clubs that have been nominated.

There's no NET in 9's so maybe some of these boys play up a year in the 10's NET or have been nominated by their clubs.

Aegon
25-06-2019, 09:14 AM

From Aegon Jr's invitation:

• Players from Newcastle Football u/9s and u/10s who are identified from the NET and SAP programs, along with the better players selected from Newcastle Football clinics are placed in equally formatted teams.
• Each team trains one night per week on a Tuesday, and plays once a week on a Friday evening.
• Each player is provided with a full UMBRO strip.
• The cost of the program is $150. Payment deadline will be Saturday 10th August.
• Number of training games is 14.
• The program would start on 10th September training and Friday 13th September for the first game.
• Training on Tuesday nights is optional for the first 3 weeks for SAP players
• There are no games or training during the school holidays but games resume on Friday 11th October.
• The program concludes on November 29.
• Some training nights will be allocated to games to fit in 14 games.
• Games are 25 min each way and teams will play 9 v 9.
• Games start at 5.15 pm and 6.15 pm.
• Full canteen facilities will be available on game night.

Hunter403
25-06-2019, 04:24 PM
Yes, I saw this as well. They are advertising for a SAP Coordinator as well, so must be joining next year. The more the merrier I say.

The adverts are asking for SAP coaches to have a “Senior Licence or completing C Licence”. Does NNSWF have a minimum coaching requirement for SAP coaches? I’m assuming coaches need to have more than the Grassroots training and/or the Skills Training certificate?

SAP coaches are supposed to be C qualified.

SAP is not a pre-requisite for NPL (it should be!!) but I am sure it is looked upon favourably if you have it.

plague
25-06-2019, 04:29 PM
This is interesting, as my observation of the first half of u9 SAP games was that New Lambton had a clear 'A' and 'B' team, in a similar way to Lake Macquarie. Perhaps they have done away with this for the second half of the draw? Or perhaps the B Team have improved a lot? It would be a great credit to the players and coaches if that were the case as I understood that the New Lambton B team had struggled somewhat in the early stages.

from my understanding, The 9's didnt grade their squads, the 'better' team though is made up of a bunch of kids who have played together for a few years so prob looked way better at the start as they already had an understanding of each other, and the coach. Think a few of their other old team mates went to Jaffas 9's.

have seen their other team a bit and yeah they def look way different. coach (and players) have really done a good job there.

howardyou
25-06-2019, 05:25 PM
from my understanding, The 9's didnt grade their squads, the 'better' team though is made up of a bunch of kids who have played together for a few years so prob looked way better at the start as they already had an understanding of each other, and the coach. Think a few of their other old team mates went to Jaffas 9's.

have seen their other team a bit and yeah they def look way different. coach (and players) have really done a good job there.

Yep, This is mostly true. Half of our Blue team has played together for a few years, and the White team is made up of players thrown together at the beginning of the season from Several U8 NLFC teams.
Both teams are now quite strong and are ungraded as we tried to balance them after selections.

The best part is we are 95% New Lambton juniors. We didn't have any players go to Jaffas though.

londonboy
25-06-2019, 08:37 PM
Yep, This is mostly true. Half of our Blue team has played together for a few years, and the White team is made up of players thrown together at the beginning of the season from Several U8 NLFC teams.
Both teams are now quite strong and are ungraded as we tried to balance them after selections.

The best part is we are 95% New Lambton juniors. We didn't have any players go to Jaffas though.

That’s really encouraging on all fronts - both the teams getting better as part of the system and New Lambton developing kids from their own community teams. I hope New Lambton advertise this - it’s a great advert for their club and should encourage other clubs to do the same.

Negative Police
25-06-2019, 08:54 PM

My mates lad and his friend both played for New Lambton from 6's to 8's. They now both play for Jaffas SAP.

Theyre doing well. I suppose it's hard not to progress with the amount of time put in.

howardyou
26-06-2019, 07:54 AM
My mates lad and his friend both played for New Lambton from 6's to 8's. They now both play for Jaffas SAP.

Theyre doing well. I suppose it's hard not to progress with the amount of time put in.

Well there you go. It's hard to keep track of all juniors i guess.
That's the difficult part of an "NPL" program Vs NewFM in seniors. Parents and kids may think they are getting a head start to NPL by playing there, but it's all about development at this stage.

Negative Police
26-06-2019, 10:11 PM
Parents and kids may think they are getting a head start to NPL by playing there, but it's all about development at this stage.

Ah so you assume they went to Jaffas becuase of NPL grade. Nah, New Lambton didnt bother to look very closely at all their 8's although this lad was playing u10 when 8.

Same happened to a lad from Magic. He is fantastic and Magic didnt see him until end of season and he already trialed elsewhere. Maybe they wanted to stay with their original club but thats footy.

Wont matter at all in the end. Theyll end up where they belong and meet a bunch of new mates along the way.

Goatscheese
27-06-2019, 10:48 PM

That's silly if it is Senior Licence for U9-U10 should be the Skill Acq or Game Training for those ages. Youth C Licence as well since Youth focuses on Skill Acquisition Ages more than the Senior.

londonboy
28-06-2019, 06:52 AM
That's silly if it is Senior Licence for U9-U10 should be the Skill Acq or Game Training for those ages. Youth C Licence as well since Youth focuses on Skill Acquisition Ages more than the Senior.

At least they are targeting experienced coaches - they can only be a good thing. And doing it early too. That should avoid them scrambling just before the season starts and will give them plenty of time to prepare.

plague
28-06-2019, 09:27 AM
At least they are targeting experienced coaches - they can only be a good thing. And doing it early too. That should avoid them scrambling just before the season starts and will give them plenty of time to prepare.

This.

Another thing, there are def coaches in this program that kids do, and don't, want to play for.

The sooner clubs get their coaches locked in, the better it is for prospective players.

Aegon
28-06-2019, 09:54 AM
Agree 100% with Plague and londonboys posts above.

The better the coach the better experience the boys will have. The more they enjoy it, the more likely they are to stick with it and continue their development.

Goatscheese
29-06-2019, 09:41 PM

Having a C licence doesn't mean you're experienced and why say Senior in your ad? Surely you'd want a Youth C-Licence coach since the Youth C-Licence is specifically targeted for coaching SAP players

Goatscheese
29-06-2019, 09:44 PM
Agree 100% with Plague and londonboys posts above.

The better the coach the better experience the boys will have. The more they enjoy it, the more likely they are to stick with it and continue their development.

Indeed a better coach will be better, however, having a Senior Certificate or Senior C-Licence doesn't guarantee that.

I am wondering why that is the criteria and not a Skill Acquisition Certificate (since this is for SAP) and Game Training Certificate or a Youth C-Licence (the C-Licence that is targeted towards coaching SAP players) not the qualifications they are asking for

londonboy
30-06-2019, 10:33 PM
How did everyone’s SAP games go this weekend? I saw Jaffas were playing Valentine. My observations are that both clubs have good teams so I assume they had competitive matches.

I watched the New Lambton vs Magic 9s and 10s over at Speers Point. Some excellent football on show.

Anyone else see anything of interest?

Negative Police
30-06-2019, 11:11 PM
How did everyone’s SAP games go this weekend? I saw Jaffas were playing Valentine. My observations are that both clubs have good teams so I assume they had competitive matches.

I watched the New Lambton vs Magic 9s and 10s over at Speers Point. Some excellent football on show.

Good to see the lads back on the park after the 2 weeks mid season break then a game then washout and soon another break. Pretty disjointed at the moment.

londonboy
30-06-2019, 11:52 PM
Good to see the lads back on the park after the 2 weeks mid season break then a game then washout and soon another break. Pretty disjointed at the moment.

Which club are you at if you don’t mind me asking?

I was curious how the break and all the wet weather had effected teams. Have clubs been booking indoor facilities to accommodate training sessions?

Negative Police
01-07-2019, 12:03 AM
Which club are you at if you don’t mind me asking?

I was curious how the break and all the wet weather had effected teams. Have clubs been booking indoor facilities to accommodate training sessions?

I know lads at Charlestown, New lambton, Broadmeadow, Lambton, lake mac 9's and Adamstown 10's. Not part of the inner at any club.

A few are kicking indoors. Best to be on the artificial during the wet weekends.

onlooker
01-07-2019, 09:51 AM
HV Girls have been lucky probably only had one training session called off recently due to rain. Last Monday they trained in the rain. But haven’t missed a game due to washout since my daughter joined in round 7 I think it was. So having a good run of training and games is really starting to show with their performances.

Two weekends ago the U/11’s in the 9’s comp played Lake Macquarie for the second time this year. First time round Lake’s won both games 7 to something this time round the girls won one and lost the other by a single goal. And had two more competitive games on the weekend at speers Point

plague
01-07-2019, 11:58 AM

saw something quite interesting in the main game between these two clubs.
firstly, it was a great game, played by two teams intent on playing football. the game was frenetic but there was always a buildup, no long balls. every attack had at least 4-6 passes upfield and players had to use their skills to get by. last few weeks ive seen A LOT of long ball in order just to get goals but this was a proper football game.

the interesting thing though was at one stage a home team player had skilled his man and was off down the sideline, the away player then made a clumsy tackle from behind and got his legs.
it was a little cynical and in grown ups it was def a yellow card. ref called the foul and was ready to restart when the away coach called his player over and made him sit down for a spell. told him the tackle was unacceptable and he wasnt happy (mind you, the coach did it in a very stern but not abusive manner). the player went to the sidelines and sat on the bench, came back on a bit later and all was good.

about 10 mins later the same thing happened the other way. a clumsy tackle from the home player wiped a kid out. again, the home coach this time called his player off and sat him down (the home player knew hed deserved it and apologised to the kid he nailed). after full time i saw the home player go up to the player he whacked and apologise again and shake his hand. a few weeks prior this kid came off the field showing everyone bruises he got from getting pinched in backplay from one of the best teams in the comp, such was the importance of 'winning' games this club had.

it was a stark contrast to some of the carry on from teams (and coaches) that are all about winning and carrying on like its the Premier League. Both coaches and all the players should be congratulated for the way they respected each others players and the purpose of the program. its the type of game id love to see every week. some of the kids on display could be absolutely anything in the sport, it was fantastic to watch.

Aegon
01-07-2019, 12:40 PM
firstly, it was a great game, played by two teams intent on playing football. the game was frenetic but there was always a buildup, no long balls. every attack had at least 4-6 passes upfield and players had to use their skills to get by. last few weeks ive seen A LOT of long ball in order just to get goals but this was a proper football game.

the interesting thing though was at one stage a home team player had skilled his man and was off down the sideline, the away player then made a clumsy tackle from behind and got his legs.
it was a little cynical and in grown ups it was def a yellow card. ref called the foul and was ready to restart when the away coach called his player over and made him sit down for a spell. told him the tackle was unacceptable and he wasnt happy (mind you, the coach did it in a very stern but not abusive manner). the player went to the sidelines and sat on the bench, came back on a bit later and all was good.

about 10 mins later the same thing happened the other way. a clumsy tackle from the home player wiped a kid out. again, the home coach this time called his player off and sat him down (the home player knew hed deserved it and apologised to the kid he nailed). after full time i saw the home player go up to the player he whacked and apologise again and shake his hand. a few weeks prior this kid came off the field showing everyone bruises he got from getting pinched in backplay from one of the best teams in the comp, such was the importance of 'winning' games this club had.

it was a stark contrast to some of the carry on from teams (and coaches) that are all about winning and carrying on like its the Premier League. Both coaches and all the players should be congratulated for the way they respected each others players and the purpose of the program. its the type of game id love to see every week. some of the kids on display could be absolutely anything in the sport, it was fantastic to watch.

Pinched? Seriously? I would certainly hope that is coming from the player/parent themselves and would like to hope it hasn't been "coached".

Kudos though to the coaches in the above example in setting the expectations on acceptable and unacceptable tackling.

Aegon
01-07-2019, 12:47 PM

Jaffas v Valentine games were all very closely contested and played in excellent spirit. Also, some excellent goalkeeping on display. I'm hugely impressed by the capabilities of goalies at this level with some playing a sweeper keeper role and some brilliant saves being made.

Both clubs are playing some good football.

Just the Northern rep doing the timekeeping getting so distracted by his phone he forgot to blow the start/finish horn a couple of times. Apart from that I think he was having a lie down and snooze on the grass at one stage.

Aegon
01-07-2019, 12:49 PM
HV Girls have been lucky probably only had one training session called off recently due to rain. Last Monday they trained in the rain. But haven’t missed a game due to washout since my daughter joined in round 7 I think it was. So having a good run of training and games is really starting to show with their performances.

Two weekends ago the U/11’s in the 9’s comp played Lake Macquarie for the second time this year. First time round Lake’s won both games 7 to something this time round the girls won one and lost the other by a single goal. And had two more competitive games on the weekend at speers Point

Great to see they are making improvement, it shows the reward of including them in these competitions.

Aegon
01-07-2019, 12:51 PM
Have clubs been booking indoor facilities to accommodate training sessions?

Yes, the team managers/coaches have been organizing training at various indoor centres.

plague
01-07-2019, 01:03 PM
Pinched? Seriously? I would certainly hope that is coming from the player/parent themselves and would like to hope it hasn't been "coached".

ive no doubt the kid isnt being coached to pinch anyone. and it may be an amazing coincidence that its happened once and once only.
but considering the focus on winning that that team had it was of no surprise that such behaviour would be ignored as long as it got the desired results.

anyway, he'll do it ot the wrong kid one day and all hell will break loose. i just found the conduct of the coaches and players on the weekend refreshing from what ive witnessed a bit this season.

plague
01-07-2019, 01:06 PM
Also, some excellent goalkeeping on display. I'm hugely impressed by the capabilities of goalies at this level with some playing a sweeper keeper role and some brilliant saves being made.

agreed here. one kid in particular is the standout but from 9's to 10's the level has increased quite dramatically across the board.

Aegon
01-07-2019, 02:11 PM
agreed here. one kid in particular is the standout but from 9's to 10's the level has increased quite dramatically across the board.

Do you mind if I ask which team? I love watching good keepers and there are some really promising ones in this program.

plague
01-07-2019, 02:21 PM
Do you mind if I ask which team? I love watching good keepers and there are some really promising ones in this program.

the young kid from Valentine is the current TSP goalie i think. hes def the most skilled across all areas at the moment, wouldnt be surprised to see him move clubs eventually.
there was a young kid from Olympic who was super aware of his positioning and snuffed out quite a few attacks as a sweeper, he was fairly short but his athleticism was great.
Young fellas from New Lambton and Magic are good shot stoppers. both quite comfortable getting right behind the ball on some of the bullet shots ive seen go at them.
theres def a good crop of kids really enthused to play the position, rather than just having some random in there each week.

again, havent seen all teams so if ive missed any its not due to snobbery.

londonboy
01-07-2019, 02:23 PM

This is great. It should be very motivating for the players to see the improvements they are getting. Does your club have a view on the splitting of the draw, i.e. is this seen as a positive thing?

Aegon
01-07-2019, 02:31 PM
the young kid from Valentine is the current TSP goalie i think.
theres def a good crop of kids really enthused to play the position, rather than just having some random in there each week.

Valo 10's? I'll keep an eye out for his games.

I 100% agree. I think it's great to see a lot of the teams choose dedicated goalies rather than cycling field players through each week. These are definitely the best learning years.

londonboy
01-07-2019, 02:36 PM

Was this in the 9s or 10s? I was watching the 9s game and something similar happened - a player on one team had apparently slapped an opposing player on the back of the head off the ball - and a couple of minutes later the 'slapper' received a high kick during a tackle. The coach of the boy who delivered the kick hauled him off immediately and let them know it was unacceptable. The incident was probably a result of the slap (ref didn't see it) but massive credit to the coach for hauling his kid off. The coach probably did see the slap, but took control of his own players and addressed it.

The weird thing was it wasn't a dirty game at all. Some excellent football played - plenty of passes pulled together; great goals (one a tapped free kick from about half way - unbelievable strike) and some great saves as well.

londonboy
01-07-2019, 02:40 PM

I attended a futsal school state trials on Friday night and was watching the u8s and u9s. There was a boy there trialling for the u8s as a goalkeeper who was unbelievable. Not a big kid, but shot-stopping and ability to come off his line at the right time was way beyond his years. Not sure who (or if) he plays for a club, but I would imagine every club would be falling over themselves to get him into their teams. I heard his parents saying to the coaches that he only ever wanted to be a goalkeeper. I've not seen too many kids falling over themselves to play in goal at that age, but the boy has bags on ability. Hope he stays in love with it.

plague
01-07-2019, 02:55 PM
Was this in the 9s or 10s? I was watching the 9s game and something similar happened -

no this was the 10's.

both tackles were totally football related and not intentionally dirty. the coaches just didnt want any part of it and addressed the issue with each player. they also did it off the field and didnt make huge deals out of it to embarrass the kids. cant emphasise enough how impressive some of these coaches are in this program.
plus these two teams have played against each other plenty of times and the games are always fair and great to watch.

onlooker
01-07-2019, 03:30 PM
This is great. It should be very motivating for the players to see the improvements they are getting. Does your club have a view on the splitting of the draw, i.e. is this seen as a positive thing?

Not sure on the clubs view on it, but my personal view as a father of a goal keeper. IÂ’m so happy they made the split and each week is competitive without having an onslaught on either teams goals.
Much rather watch a game where my kid gets her fair share of action rather then the ball always be camped at one end or the other.

londonboy
10-07-2019, 02:28 PM
https://membership.newcastlejets.com.au/newcastle-jets-skills-program

Any thoughts on the Newcastle Jets Skills Program being advertised? At $500 a pop it sounds to me a bit like a money-making opportunity to me. The rumours are that, with the club funding issues, the youth set-up funding is very limited. Might this be their way of raising funds?

It says its a 20 week program under the guidance of "Newcastle Jets trained coaches" (i.e. not Newcastle Jets coaches, Jets trained coaches). The fact the Jets recently put a call out for any "enthusiastic" coaches to contact them suggests to me this program will largely be run by community coaches wearing Jets branded gear. It's a shame, because a properly run program like this (with input from NNSW Football and Newcastle Football) might actually be a good thing and helped the Jets identify players for the future.

Aegon
10-07-2019, 02:45 PM

Any thoughts on the Newcastle Jets Skills Program being advertised? At $500 a pop it sounds to me a bit like a money-making opportunity to me. The rumours are that, with the club funding issues, the youth set-up funding is very limited. Might this be their way of raising funds?

It says its a 20 week program under the guidance of "Newcastle Jets trained coaches" (i.e. not Newcastle Jets coaches, Jets trained coaches). The fact the Jets recently put a call out for any "enthusiastic" coaches to contact them suggests to me this program will largely be run by community coaches wearing Jets branded gear. It's a shame, because a properly run program like this (with input from NNSW Football and Newcastle Football) might actually be a good thing and helped the Jets identify players for the future.

Open to anyone willing to pay the money, trained by coaches of undetermined ability or commitment.

I think there are better options available out there already.

You can already see the parents imagining this as a back door way of getting their "wonderkid" into the youth academies.

Johnno
10-07-2019, 03:25 PM
Open to anyone willing to pay the money, trained by coaches of undetermined ability or commitment.

I think there are better options available out there already.

You can already see the parents imagining this as a back door way of getting their "wonderkid" into the youth academies.

Yep your 100% correct Aegon parents that can afford will pay it just further confuses the whole football structure in Newy what is their now SAP, NET, Community, 2 divisions of so called elite football whole thing needs looking at and all of those programs come at a $$$$. It’s a money making exercise pure and simple.

plague
10-07-2019, 03:27 PM

yeah look seeing the amount of talent in SAP and NET every week, and the skill level of kids who 'arent good enough' for TSP at the moment id say anyones kid aint getting any sort of foot in by going there.

from everyone who has been there, they still swear by Jobe as still the best extra curricular option for kids wanting to improve.

londonboy
11-07-2019, 05:46 PM
https://northernnswfootball.com.au/competitions/football-five5-premier-summer-sap-leagues/

Has there been much interest in clubs around this? NNSWF are running a SAP-only Fast Fives tournament this summer. It seems to be limited to 12 teams, playing 5-aside (with 2 subs). Also wondering whether SAP teams might look at entering teams in the Adamstown/Wallsend/Mayfield TAFE NSW Summer Football tournaments?

There seems to be plenty of off-season things to do, which might actually dilute things a bit, with SAP/NET kids being spread out far and wide (or maybe even just taking a break from football...)

plague
11-07-2019, 07:15 PM
Yeah our club is trying to get a team in if there's enough interest from the kids.

Aegon
11-07-2019, 10:43 PM
https://northernnswfootball.com.au/competitions/football-five5-premier-summer-sap-leagues/

Has there been much interest in clubs around this? NNSWF are running a SAP-only Fast Fives tournament this summer. It seems to be limited to 12 teams, playing 5-aside (with 2 subs). Also wondering whether SAP teams might look at entering teams in the Adamstown/Wallsend/Mayfield TAFE NSW Summer Football tournaments?

There seems to be plenty of off-season things to do, which might actually dilute things a bit, with SAP/NET kids being spread out far and wide (or maybe even just taking a break from football...)

It looks like a great idea. I don’t like this part though:

“The new leagues will also be used to identify players who have the potential to trial for NNSWF’s Talent Support Programs (TSP)”

How about watch the normal season games?

londonboy
12-07-2019, 12:13 AM

“The new leagues will also be used to identify players who have the potential to trial for NNSWF’s Talent Support Programs (TSP)”

Yep, probably a bit of a sales pitch to try and get teams to sign up. You’d hope NNSWF would use the SAP games for TSP identification. The Fast Fives is a completely different game. It’s basically futsal. Different sport.

plague
12-07-2019, 12:33 AM

yeah dont sweat any of that.
NNSW coaches were out at training scouting our 9's for potential TSP players, they talked to the coaches and the coaches gave honest feedback on who they thought had potential.

same NNSW blokes were then at the games on that weekend watching them go round. the NNSW coaches are at the games trust me.

as for the TSP itself, dont stress if kids are missing out. from what ive seen, the kids who were in 9's last year and back playing SAP in 10's are not any further along than everyone else. from what ive seen id say 90% of the kids picked in 10's deserve to be there last year. but there are plenty of kids at their level this year. a few of them havent progressed even at SAP level let alone being even 'better than the best'.

over the net few years those kids will be replaced in the TSP or at worst another scout will identify them and offer them up another opportunity. the best kids will be seen. they will start to stand out at different times, but this SAP program is about finding them somewhere between 9-14. theres a wide scope.

londonboy
12-07-2019, 07:46 AM
yeah dont sweat any of that.
NNSW coaches were out at training scouting our 9's for potential TSP players, they talked to the coaches and the coaches gave honest feedback on who they thought had potential.

same NNSW blokes were then at the games on that weekend watching them go round. the NNSW coaches are at the games trust me.

as for the TSP itself, dont stress if kids are missing out. from what ive seen, the kids who were in 9's last year and back playing SAP in 10's are not any further along than everyone else. from what ive seen id say 90% of the kids picked in 10's deserve to be there last year. but there are plenty of kids at their level this year. a few of them havent progressed even at SAP level let alone being even 'better than the best'.

over the net few years those kids will be replaced in the TSP or at worst another scout will identify them and offer them up another opportunity. the best kids will be seen. they will start to stand out at different times, but this SAP program is about finding them somewhere between 9-14. theres a wide scope.

Which 9s team is this? Do they train at LMRFF? My boy is at a team that doesn’t train at LMRFF and I’ve not seen any NNSWF coaches at our training sessions. Hopefully, they are out on the road as well.

Retired01
12-07-2019, 09:26 AM
Whilst I'm not in the inner group of coaching and managing of clubs. I don't see why the whole TSP is such a talking point of where the kids want to be.
I personally know or am privalige tosecond hand to conversations to a lot of the 9s and 10s coaches from my days playing and general consensus is that its just the same as it was when we were little. Who you know, who knows who or based on a 10 minute observation.
I am mindful not to identify clubs or people due to blow back towards those people. But I do know 2 clubs who's coaches put forward specific players and they were not chosen. the ones which were chosen left them confused.

I completely agree with the comments above. The current TSP squad are no better than others within the top SAP Teams and discussion is they have now fallen away.
Its all a great idea. But shouldn't be of anyones concern

londonboy
12-07-2019, 10:30 AM
Whilst I'm not in the inner group of coaching and managing of clubs. I don't see why the whole TSP is such a talking point of where the kids want to be.
I personally know or am privalige tosecond hand to conversations to a lot of the 9s and 10s coaches from my days playing and general consensus is that its just the same as it was when we were little. Who you know, who knows who or based on a 10 minute observation.
I am mindful not to identify clubs or people due to blow back towards those people. But I do know 2 clubs who's coaches put forward specific players and they were not chosen. the ones which were chosen left them confused.

I completely agree with the comments above. The current TSP squad are no better than others within the top SAP Teams and discussion is they have now fallen away.

I am certain there is plenty of the 'who you know' that goes on, but who is overseeing this? You'd have to think there is some impartial selection going on, either via the clubs themselves or NNSWF.

I think I'm a bit confused with the whole TSP thing. I thought this was an additional training night for selected kids with NNSWF, and the rest of the time boys would train and play with their SAP teams??

plague
12-07-2019, 11:44 AM

the only thing with the TSP is that the kids have been told its the leg up to the next level in a few years time. A lot of kids in the SAP program have lofty goals. They know there is another level of achievement and for them not to be picked, or even offered to trial has left some a little bewildered.

now, having said that. I have no problem with kids who want to achieve everything in life getting a bit of rejection here and there. its gonna happen in everyday life and the better they handle it now the better it will be for them long term.
also, i think NNSW and the coaches have done a good job not emphasising the TSP 'too' much. Kids know about it, but its not like they are repeatedly reminded of it. Also at that age ive every faith that the best kids will end up in the right spots, if not right away then eventually.

as for being in the know with TSP, ok i get it, there will always be a level of favouritism in everything we do in life. If the coaches picking the TSP are comfortable with a certain player because of a prior relationship, then as long as the player is good enough its hard to argue.

Every kid ive seen that is in the program is a really good player. def there are kids outside the TSP that are good enough, but by being in SAP they get the chance to play the TSP kids week in week out so thats the best way to test yourself. if they are outstanding, they will get seen.

plague
12-07-2019, 11:53 AM
My boy is at a team that doesn’t train at LMRFF and I’ve not seen any NNSWF coaches at our training sessions. Hopefully, they are out on the road as well.

ok im not sure of the machinations of every single club, but my understanding is that all were offered the opportunity to train at the facility. This was specifically so the NNSW coaches can watch the kids and the coaches to make sure they were implementing the program as it was designed.
Some declined this year due to a variety of factors. Some are getting that technical leadership from other areas, some clubs just dont want to travel out to Speers Pt.

You'll have to ask your club why they arent out there. if they have an answer you're comfortable with then cool. if you're not happy with it then talk to them and make sure youre getting the most out of your money. The facility is there to be used, and the coaches are out there every session. if your club has made a decision that prevents the kids from getting the best coaching and opportunity, then let them know.

Also, last year i saw NNSW coaches at games at places like Lisle Carr, Magic Park and Rosebuds. so they do travel.

Also, and it cant be stressed enough, you are allowed to go talk to them. They wouldnt know me from a bar of soap but ive had numerous conversations with them at training and at games just to get a better idea of what they want from the kids, and even things like rules questions for when you ref (if you get dragged into that!!!!). But the guys are all really approachable, and a lot of them are motivated to see the kids do well.

londonboy
12-07-2019, 01:44 PM
ok im not sure of the machinations of every single club, but my understanding is that all were offered the opportunity to train at the facility. This was specifically so the NNSW coaches can watch the kids and the coaches to make sure they were implementing the program as it was designed.
Some declined this year due to a variety of factors. Some are getting that technical leadership from other areas, some clubs just dont want to travel out to Speers Pt.

You'll have to ask your club why they arent out there. if they have an answer you're comfortable with then cool. if you're not happy with it then talk to them and make sure youre getting the most out of your money. The facility is there to be used, and the coaches are out there every session. if your club has made a decision that prevents the kids from getting the best coaching and opportunity, then let them know.

Also, last year i saw NNSW coaches at games at places like Lisle Carr, Magic Park and Rosebuds. so they do travel.

Also, and it cant be stressed enough, you are allowed to go talk to them. They wouldnt know me from a bar of soap but ive had numerous conversations with them at training and at games just to get a better idea of what they want from the kids, and even things like rules questions for when you ref (if you get dragged into that!!!!). But the guys are all really approachable, and a lot of them are motivated to see the kids do well.

Good advice. We are pretty new to the area, so I am only now starting to understand all the SAP, NET and TSP pathways. It seems that some clubs are more willing to embrace all these things than others. To my mind, if you have the facilities and expertise available to you its mad not to use them. Definitely worth finding out our clubs view on all this.

londonboy
21-07-2019, 09:36 PM
Good to have some SAP games back on this weekend. I was at the Magic vs Valo 9/10s at Magic Park and saw some tight and entertaining games. Curious that it was a ‘hub’ day for Magic, but no other games were played there. Usually they also have non-Magic games on the outer field. Not this time.

How did everyone else’s games go?

londonboy
21-07-2019, 09:44 PM
https://form.jotform.co/82108099572866

Interested in people’s thoughts on this - Jaffa’s are holding some “training” sessions for prospective u9 SAP players. I understand NNSWF don’t allow trials to be held before the end of the season, but this seems like a pretty smart move by Jaffas to gets a jump on other clubs. The cynics will see this as a quasi early trial, but I like the idea of clubs ‘selling’ their SAP programs early. Gives parents and kids more chance to look around.

I wonder if other clubs will follow suit? You’d have to think this proactive approach gives Jaffas a leg up in getting kids to come to them first.

Goatscheese
21-07-2019, 10:36 PM

Interested in people’s thoughts on this - Jaffa’s are holding some “training” sessions for prospective u9 SAP players. I understand NNSWF don’t allow trials to be held before the end of the season, but this seems like a pretty smart move by Jaffas to gets a jump on other clubs. The cynics will see this as a quasi early trial, but I like the idea of clubs ‘selling’ their SAP programs early. Gives parents and kids more chance to look around.

I wonder if other clubs will follow suit? You’d have to think this proactive approach gives Jaffas a leg up in getting kids to come to them first.

Olympic hold a holiday training session, they would certainly be using it as an opportunity to pick out and approach new players not just for SAP but their other ages.

Reds Forever
21-07-2019, 10:49 PM

Not a new thing. All NPL clubs do it with transition from U12 SAP to NPL Youth. Hunter, Macquarie and Newcastle SAP all have various training sessions leading up to trials.

plague
22-07-2019, 12:02 AM
yeah at the end of last year our club had the best of the 8's and 9's kids playing mini-roos come in and join training sessions with the U/9 SAP squad.
It gave the kids an idea of what the program was about and def gave the club a look at the next wave of kids.
there was def a number of kids from last years 9's make the 10's SAP squad this year so it was well worth it.

Negative Police
23-07-2019, 09:37 PM

Clubs would have ear marked certain players for their teams even by now. And you dont need a wonder kid to get into most teams just ask around some close clubs

YewYew
27-08-2019, 02:36 PM
Can anyone tell me what the Inter MiniRoos League is? It's played at 10s and 11s. Greta, Maitland, Swans, Charlestown & Lochinvar @10s and Kotara South, Maitland, Valentine, Swans & Charlestown @11s. This is not NET - although both are 10s & 11s and Kotara play in both. Is this a Lakes and Maitland NET thing, w/ Kotara also in to make up numbers?

Negative Police
27-08-2019, 08:06 PM
Can anyone tell me what the Inter MiniRoos League is? It's played at 10s and 11s. Greta, Maitland, Swans, Charlestown & Lochinvar @10s and Kotara South, Maitland, Valentine, Swans & Charlestown @11s. This is not NET - although both are 10s & 11s and Kotara play in both. Is this a Lakes and Maitland NET thing, w/ Kotara also in to make up numbers?

These teams are the Macquarie development squads which is similar to the Newcastle NET teams. They are a collection of the better community players.

londonboy
27-09-2019, 07:34 AM
Does anyone know how teams are selected for the NNSWF Champion of Champions tournament? Are these ‘A’ graded teams that won their comps in their region and then NNSWF run an EOI or something similar?

Seems a great concept. I’d definitely love to see more of this sort of thing in the off-season.

Retired01
27-09-2019, 08:39 AM
Does anyone know how teams are selected for the NNSWF Champion of Champions tournament? Are these ‘A’ graded teams that won their comps in their region and then NNSWF run an EOI or something similar?

Seems a great concept. I’d definitely love to see more of this sort of thing in the off-season.

Never heard of it. What are the age groups?

londonboy
27-09-2019, 09:19 AM
Never heard of it. What are the age groups?

https://northernnswfootball.com.au/competitions/champion-of-champions/

Aegon
27-09-2019, 12:01 PM

None of those teams appear to be winners in their age groups so I have no idea what the selection criteria was??

Aegon
27-09-2019, 12:06 PM
https://northernnswfootball.com.au/competitions/champion-of-champions/

Just to clarify my above statement:

12years: Maitland (12A - 5th) Kahibah (12A - 7th)
13years: Valentine (NPL - 12th)
14years: Magic (NPL - Runners up)
15years: Maitland (NPL - 6th)
16years: Chalestown (NPL - 11th)

Aegon
27-09-2019, 12:11 PM
Just to clarify my above statement:

12years: Maitland (12A - 5th) Kahibah (12A - 7th)
13years: Valentine (NPL - 12th)
14years: Magic (NPL - Runners up)
15years: Maitland (NPL - 6th)
16years: Chalestown (NPL - 11th)

Scratch everything I said - It's all based on community football teams.
Looks like its the winners of each of the ID age group A competitions except 12's for some reason (maybe NPL trials)

Dontknowmuch
27-09-2019, 12:13 PM
None of those teams appear to be winners in their age groups so I have no idea what the selection criteria was??

In our area its is the top ranked team for each association playing in the 'A' Comp gets to go represent their association. Is only for community stream competitions. Our area should have representative each from Newcastle Football, Macquarie and Hunter Valley and I think they play similar teams that have qualified Mid North Coast, North Coast, Far North Coast and from Inland as well. Looks a great initiative from NNSW.

sammydog
27-09-2019, 01:50 PM
Football NSW has been running the community champions of champions since 1968, before NNSW was created teams up here played in it.

Garden Suburb won the U16's in 1990 beating Abruzzi in the final.

List of past winners here. https://footballnsw.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Champion-of-Champions-Results-history-2018-1.pdf

Goatscheese
27-09-2019, 11:30 PM

The top team from each district is invited to attend. For those in interdistrict the highest team in A grade from each of the three districts (Newcastle, Macquaire and Hunter)are allowed to go so you could see all three from the ID go but as it is not all teams that can go want to go or can afford to.

Goatscheese
27-09-2019, 11:31 PM
In our area its is the top ranked team for each association playing in the 'A' Comp gets to go represent their association. Is only for community stream competitions. Our area should have representative each from Newcastle Football, Macquarie and Hunter Valley and I think they play similar teams that have qualified Mid North Coast, North Coast, Far North Coast and from Inland as well. Looks a great initiative from NNSW.

That's a better way of explaining it, not all teams do go or can go.

londonboy
02-10-2019, 11:58 PM

Good insight.

I really like the idea. I know it’s difficult to rank kids in younger age groups because of the lack of scored matches, but I’d love to see this rolled out to, say, U10 upwards. Kids would get a lot out of it. It’s basically a competitive Gala Day. I’m sure they’d be no shortage of interested clubs/teams if this became a regular thing in multiple age groups.

londonboy
03-10-2019, 12:01 AM
Football NSW has been running the community champions of champions since 1968, before NNSW was created teams up here played in it.

Garden Suburb won the U16's in 1990 beating Abruzzi in the final.

List of past winners here. https://footballnsw.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Champion-of-Champions-Results-history-2018-1.pdf

Very interesting. So, they had an U10 competition as soon ago as 2010?

Aegon
01-11-2019, 01:33 PM
Newcastle Football have advertised for their new TD.

Link (https://www.facebook.com/newcastlefootballofficial/photos/a.364498710337192/2420551451398564/?type=3&theater)

Main points

Minimum B Licence
Accredited to facilitate coaching courses
Continuation of NET for Under 10's & 11's
Establish a training program for Under 9-11 girls
Conduct April and July skills clinics
Facilitate a summer training program

25hrs p/w @ $15,000 p/a
You're definitely in it for the love and not the money :)

YewYew
07-11-2019, 08:32 PM

talking of RH, i wqs told last season that magic would not send kids to RH's summer Wallarah comp, but i now see some magic kids playing in it. do magic know or did the dads just ignore what magic said?????

Aegon
07-11-2019, 11:26 PM
talking of RH, i wqs told last season that magic would not send kids to RH's summer Wallarah comp, but i now see some magic kids playing in it. do magic know or did the dads just ignore what magic said?????

One of the 8 team coaches is a magic coach as well.

I think anyone who is playing there from Magic has decided for themselves to do it as I heard similar to yourself, there was no active encouragement from the club to get their players to participate.

londonboy
16-11-2019, 07:47 AM
http://pfa.net.au/wp-content/uploads/PFA-Golden-Generation-Report_DIGITAL.pdf

Some interesting conclusions in this report if people haven’t seen it.

YewYew
31-12-2019, 03:40 PM

Link (https://www.facebook.com/newcastlefootballofficial/photos/a.364498710337192/2420551451398564/?type=3&theater)

Main points

Minimum B Licence

25hrs p/w @ $15,000 p/a

Any1 heard about the NF TD yet? New season not far off and they'll need to get bed in before it all kicks off

londonboy
02-01-2020, 03:17 PM
https://www.nrsfc.com.au/news-article/want-to-play-for-free/4083;jsessionid=530EBF981C87DCFC19FCBA7C2DC7F9DA

I came across this and thought it was a great idea - North Rocks Soccer Club in Sydney offer to refund playing registrations to any adult player who coaches one of their Junior teams with no blood relatives in the squad. Seems a great incentive to get people with playing experience (and who might be interested in coaching, but no real incentive to do it) to put their hand up and coach kids. Any clubs in the Newcastle / Lake Macquarie area offer something similar?

Aegon
03-01-2020, 10:32 AM
https://www.nrsfc.com.au/news-article/want-to-play-for-free/4083;jsessionid=530EBF981C87DCFC19FCBA7C2DC7F9DA

I came across this and thought it was a great idea - North Rocks Soccer Club in Sydney offer to refund playing registrations to any adult player who coaches one of their Junior teams with no blood relatives in the squad. Seems a great incentive to get people with playing experience (and who might be interested in coaching, but no real incentive to do it) to put their hand up and coach kids. Any clubs in the Newcastle / Lake Macquarie area offer something similar?

That's excellent.

YewYew
28-02-2020, 02:03 PM

Main points

Minimum B Licence

25hrs p/w @ $15,000 p/a

https://newcastlefootball.com.au/wp-content/uploads/sites/9/2020/02/Expression-of-Interest-Football-Manager.pdf

NF re-advertising the TD gig - now called "Football Manager". Same hrs and $$ as the TD advert but they dropped the clinics and summer NET frm the job. Main NET still there which is good.

Aegon
02-03-2020, 08:26 AM
https://newcastlefootball.com.au/wp-content/uploads/sites/9/2020/02/Expression-of-Interest-Football-Manager.pdf

NF re-advertising the TD gig - now called "Football Manager". Same hrs and $$ as the TD advert but they dropped the clinics and summer NET frm the job. Main NET still there which is good.

Accreditation dropped to a C license requirement too, with noly a plan to get B license.

Captain_Carl
20-11-2021, 09:14 AM
The more time a kid spends with a ball at their feet the faster they will develop. That tip was for free but I am planning to write a book about the knowledge I have gained in the sport.

Aegon
24-02-2022, 02:05 PM
Very Interesting read around the cost of football:

https://northernnswfootball.com.au/the-cost-of-football/?fbclid=IwAR29RgmdZIYcMlkTCJaOrWiNeB4no_TYwZroGd5W Swj9cR3siZ5bQWa1Y1c

jim wallis
25-02-2022, 12:22 AM

https://northernnswfootball.com.au/the-cost-of-football/?fbclid=IwAR29RgmdZIYcMlkTCJaOrWiNeB4no_TYwZroGd5W Swj9cR3siZ5bQWa1Y1c

Why are juniors paying Football Australia or Northern? Thats $50 extra for kids u6 to U12 who should be propping up these jerks.

travellingman
25-02-2022, 08:15 AM
Why are juniors paying Football Australia or Northern? Thats $50 extra for kids u6 to U12 who should be propping up these jerks.

Peter Haynes Football Development Manager for NNSW Football
HOW is he still employed in this role as the football development in NNSW is atrocious. NNSW football don't even have a full time Technical director

Retired01
25-02-2022, 09:42 AM
Who is responsible for the Jets kids NNSW or Jets? Now that football trials have started again there is so much talk about kids quitting and going back to Clubs and the following merry go round which includes people not wanting to play for the Jets if asked.

ExWhistleMan
25-02-2022, 09:49 AM

Why on earth is there a 'NNSW Facilities Fund Contribution' on top of the levy already paid to NNSW. Why should families (many living 100s of kms from Speers points) that just have their kids playing for pure fun and wholesome exercise be paying for the facilities at Speers Point?? It's pure arrogance.

Goatscheese
25-02-2022, 09:56 AM

Remove the $14 the FA charge kids and it does nothing to decrease the cost of Football.

Some clubs charge a shit load. Interesting to see the average in the Hunter region and know that some clubs charge their U5-U7 more than the average for U12-U18

JustMe
25-02-2022, 10:26 AM
Remove the $14 the FA charge kids and it does nothing to decrease the cost of Football.

Some clubs charge a shit load. Interesting to see the average in the Hunter region and know that some clubs charge their U5-U7 more than the average for U12-U18

FA turds taking any $ is just shear arrogance. Socceroo's must be financed from top down. Community football does not need Northern. Northern charge like a wounded bull for any assistance including coaching courses anyway. Our juniors deserve better than this.

As for clubs, some are way over the mark. Others just scrape by. NL have always slugged their kids the most.

https://northernnswfootball.com.au/2022-miniroos-entry-level-fees/
U6s
NL 270
Valo 275

I would suggest boycott and go elsewhere if you dont live to close.

Aegon
25-02-2022, 10:38 AM

Yup, New Lambton and Valentine should deservingly be copping some questions from parents.

My kids miniroos club charged $180 which was inclusive of paying for game leader fees, uniform & the end of season presentation & trophy costs.
So $180 without a single extra cost through the season.

I know some of the clubs that charge very low fees will then have follow on costs additional to registration.

JustMe
25-02-2022, 10:47 AM
Who is responsible for the Jets kids NNSW or Jets? Now that football trials have started again there is so much talk about kids quitting and going back to Clubs and the following merry go round which includes people not wanting to play for the Jets if asked.

U15s had to rebuild. So they will need some time. 13s 14s 16s are decent squads. 18s had a bad loss 1st up.

There are also players who initially declined to play and no cannot get in.

Granted, It isnt a great setup right now but some clubs talk hard to retain quality players for their own results then to lose them.

Goatscheese
25-02-2022, 11:09 AM
FA turds taking any $ is just shear arrogance. Socceroo's must be financed from top down. Community football does not need Northern. Northern charge like a wounded bull for any assistance including coaching courses anyway. Our juniors deserve better than this.

As for clubs, some are way over the mark. Others just scrape by. NL have always slugged their kids the most.

U6s
NL 270
Valo 275

I would suggest boycott and go elsewhere if you dont live to close.

People can't complain about FA taking $14 when clubs are charging a lot more than they need to be. Dropping the $14 doesn't make it now much cheaper to play.

Not just in community as well.

matmoncrieff
25-02-2022, 12:36 PM
Yup, New Lambton and Valentine should deservingly be copping some questions from parents.

My kids miniroos club charged $180 which was inclusive of paying for game leader fees, uniform & the end of season presentation & trophy costs.

I know some of the clubs that charge very low fees will then have follow on costs additional to registration.

I'm from one of the bigger clubs that's fee are not as high as the clubs you mentioned but higher than most. I have been around in these circles for some time now and believe what we are charging which has been the same for the last 3 seasons is fair and reasonable. I think it is highly irresponsible of David Eland and his team at NNSW to post all the fees without going out to clubs and asking what is actually included, I will admit they put a small disclaimer at the bottom recognising that they have no idea what the figures include. I have no idea what Valentine and NL include in their fees but certainly know what we do at our club and although will look high at 1st glance it is fair and reasonable. What it doesn't say is that entry level kids at our club play up to 10 competition games more than any other club that I know of and have done so for years, they get a personalised playing shirt as well as socks, very nice trophy and presentation day. Coaches don't have to drag there equipment to from the training park each week its all their for them to access each week. If you are in the Macquarie football area you have to pay a council fee of $40 per youth player to play and train which also appears in each clubs fees, so when you take that out there is actually 1 club by the figures posted is either subsidising 1/2 that fee or have some other arrangement which is good on them.

There is one club I see who's registration fee was $175 yet they have to pay $65 for uniform when they go to the registration day. Other clubs have an additional fee for presentation day's, others make you sell chocolate boxes. Which none of this is wrong it's just the way each club operates but it is not reflected on the list of fee's David and his team has put out. Although parents and kids like to play close to home paying registration fees is like anything else in most cases you get what you pay for and if you don't like the product you are free to go and try a different product.

So in all the list irresponsibly put out to all is not a true apples for apples comparison and I personally don't know of a community club that doesn't have hard working volunteers that give up many hours of their busy lives to help provide a place for kids to play football at and i am sure everyone of them would love to have no cost associated with it. And being honest the whole article in most cases looks like a pot shot at all those hardworking volunteers.

I'm still waiting for the fee comparison on JDL, NL1 and NPL clubs to come out from David Eland and his team which is a competition that NNSW have complete control over yet some u9's I here are paying nearly $2k but once again I am not sure what is included in that amount but from my clubs point of view I think the true cost for a kid that age in the JDL competition is between the $700 and $800 including everything except boots and pads.

Aegon
25-02-2022, 01:56 PM
I'm from one of the bigger clubs that's fee are not as high as the clubs you mentioned but higher than most. I have been around in these circles for some time now and believe what we are charging which has been the same for the last 3 seasons is fair and reasonable. I think it is highly irresponsible of David Eland and his team at NNSW to post all the fees without going out to clubs and asking what is actually included, I will admit they put a small disclaimer at the bottom recognising that they have no idea what the figures include. I have no idea what Valentine and NL include in their fees but certainly know what we do at our club and although will look high at 1st glance it is fair and reasonable. What it doesn't say is that entry level kids at our club play up to 10 competition games more than any other club that I know of and have done so for years, they get a personalised playing shirt as well as socks, very nice trophy and presentation day. Coaches don't have to drag there equipment to from the training park each week its all their for them to access each week. If you are in the Macquarie football area you have to pay a council fee of $40 per youth player to play and train which also appears in each clubs fees, so when you take that out there is actually 1 club by the figures posted is either subsidising 1/2 that fee or have some other arrangement which is good on them.

There is one club I see who's registration fee was $175 yet they have to pay $65 for uniform when they go to the registration day. Other clubs have an additional fee for presentation day's, others make you sell chocolate boxes. Which none of this is wrong it's just the way each club operates but it is not reflected on the list of fee's David and his team has put out. Although parents and kids like to play close to home paying registration fees is like anything else in most cases you get what you pay for and if you don't like the product you are free to go and try a different product.

So in all the list irresponsibly put out to all is not a true apples for apples comparison and I personally don't know of a community club that doesn't have hard working volunteers that give up many hours of their busy lives to help provide a place for kids to play football at and i am sure everyone of them would love to have no cost associated with it. And being honest the whole article in most cases looks like a pot shot at all those hardworking volunteers.

As I said earlier, my son was at a miniroos club that was $180 all inclusive and gave the breakdown of where all costs went.

If I read that list and saw my club charging $200+ I think I am well within my rights to ask for an explanation of where fees go - because they should be provided up front.

I'm still waiting for the fee comparison on JDL, NL1 and NPL clubs to come out from David Eland and his team which is a competition that NNSW have complete control over yet some u9's I here are paying nearly $2k but once again I am not sure what is included in that amount but from my clubs point of view I think the true cost for a kid that age in the JDL competition is between the $700 and $800 including everything except boots and pads.

I 100% agree with this. Considering these competitions have a much heavier involvement from NNWSF they should be providing comparisons for all of these competitions.

There will of course be variance. For example my sons JDL club charge $1200 another I know charges over $1500, however the higher price club trains at LMRFF once a week whereas we don't.
There will be other differences obviously but the onus should be on clubs to explain how and where that money is spent.

When we were last provided a breakdown of fees distribution:
$237 goes to Northern
$14 to Football Australia
$900+ to the club
Of this: $250-300 on uniform & another $200-300 on TD/coaching costs. Lots of other little incidental costs like Electricity, Water, council fees.

matmoncrieff
25-02-2022, 02:30 PM
As I said earlier, my son was at a miniroos club that was $180 all inclusive and gave the breakdown of where all costs went.

If I read that list and saw my club charging $200+ I think I am well within my rights to ask for an explanation of where fees go - because they should be provided up front.

I 100% agree with this. Considering these competitions have a much heavier involvement from NNWSF they should be providing comparisons for all of these competitions.

There will of course be variance. For example my sons JDL club charge $1200 another I know charges over $1500, however the higher price club trains at LMRFF once a week whereas we don't.
There will be other differences obviously but the onus should be on clubs to explain how and where that money is spent.

$237 goes to Northern
$900+ to the club
Of this: $250-300 on uniform & another $200-300 on TD/coaching costs. Lots of other little incidental costs like Electricity, Water, council fees.

In the end just like in society supply and demand kicks in, the majority of the big clubs that are charging the most money have parents and kids kicking their doors down to pay the money for what they believe is a better product. If parents are willing to pay the money, then what is the issue. If parents are not happy to pay the exorbitant amounts then don't and go play somewhere else where the fees are more reasonable and supply and demand will kick in and the big clubs will bring their fees down.

So in conclusion its actually the parents that are forcing up JDL and Youth costs LOL, stop paying the ridiculously fees clubs will respond when the kids stop coming.

matmoncrieff
25-02-2022, 02:48 PM

$237 goes to Northern
$900+ to the club

In the end just like in society supply and demand kicks in, the majority of the big clubs that are charging the most money have parents and kids kicking their doors down to pay the money for what they believe is a better product. If parents are willing to pay the money, then what is the issue. If parents are not happy to pay the exorbitant amounts then don't and go play somewhere else where the fees are more reasonable and supply and demand will kick in and the big clubs will bring their fees down.

So in conclusion its actually the parents that are forcing up JDL and Youth costs LOL, stop paying the ridiculously fees clubs will respond when the kids stop coming.

BS detecor
25-02-2022, 09:25 PM
I saw magic under 6 and under 7 were free with the active kids voucher

northern_swan
25-02-2022, 10:24 PM
For example my sons JDL club charge $1200 another I know charges over $1500, however the higher price club trains at LMRFF once a week whereas we don't.

$237 goes to Northern
$900+ to the club

My sons JDL club charges $1150 and that includes one night a week at Speers Pt.

My other sons community club collect $81 on top of the FA/NNSW/Macquarie taxes for U5-8. Of that, $41 goes to LMCC charges. The remaining $40 pay the myriad of other consumables required. If they have enough to shout the committee a can of coke at the end of the season from that pot of money I’d be very surprised.

sammydog
25-02-2022, 10:41 PM

We charge $100 with no add on, other than shorts/socks. We used to include that but parents have asked us to take it out.

Other than a few clubs, and most of the high charging entry level fees are from "premier clubs" (read into that what you will), community football is not expensive.

sammydog
25-02-2022, 10:44 PM

So clubs have no social responsibility to keep things reasonable?

Again, the high changing community clubs in Macquarie and Newcastle are clubs with Premier teams. Screams of funding the premier system which is disgusting.

NNSW only fault with their release of this info is that it should have been done at the start of rego. not at the conclusion.

sammydog
25-02-2022, 10:57 PM
is one club I see who's registration fee was $175 yet they have to pay $65 for uniform when they go to the registration day. Other clubs have an additional fee for presentation day's, others make you sell chocolate boxes. Which none of this is wrong it's just the way each club operates but it is not reflected on the list of fee's David and his team has put out. Although parents and kids like to play close to home paying registration fees is like anything else in most cases you get what you pay for and if you don't like the product you are free to go and try a different product.

I was talking to Macquarie about this today. Not disclosing the extra $65 at rego is deceitful at best.

I spoke with NNSW today and they do not understand how the timing of this information was out of line. I'm all for this being posted publicly, but it needs to be prior to rego (or at the start) so parents can ask questions.

Our rego is $100, but we may not include what some parents want. They should have the opportunity to ask questions. Now is too late.

From U8 up its $220 and players keep their kits (we dont

in all the list irresponsibly put out to all is not a true apples for apples comparison and I personally don't know of a community club that doesn't have hard working volunteers that give up many hours of their busy lives to help provide a place for kids to play football at and i am sure everyone of them would love to have no cost associated with it. And being honest the whole article in most cases looks like a pot shot at all those hardworking volunteers.

I had a public rant yesterday that caused phone calls from higher than NNSW today. NNSW believe they have compared apples with apples, this is a big issue.

Again, the information put out is fine, if its done at the start of rego.

Clubs all do things differently, thats OK, let parents find the right fit. Throwing the handgrenade now was wrong.

still waiting for the fee comparison on JDL, NL1 and NPL clubs to come out from David Eland and his team which is a competition that NNSW have complete control over yet some u9's I here are paying nearly $2k but once again I am not sure what is included in that amount but from my clubs point of view I think the true cost for a kid that age in the JDL competition is between the $700 and $800 including everything except boots and pads.

Dont hold your breath on that one. The shot at community was a response to the herald article going at JDL fees.

Oldy
26-02-2022, 12:24 AM

This is an ahole comment.
Its not supposed to be a ripoff societal business. Its supposed to be a healthy viable option for ALL families to participate without being ripped off for a change.
Clubs can still sign the best without being thieving grubs.
Its the arrogance and thieving from clubs and this chump thinks its ok. Your stance on this is a disgrace to the game.

samcan
26-02-2022, 12:45 AM
Its not a shot just at exorbitant community fees but JDL as well and rightly so.
We have 1 muppet here saying its ok to charge what the people as much as they want which is stupid for a sport we are trying to grow in numbers.

Lets have a capped system for all junior formats and then if parents want to add money to a club or extra training they can.

samcan
26-02-2022, 12:52 AM
$237 goes to Northern
$900+ to the club

$900 to the club?

That is why some damn good players dont come to this extortionate system.

Barry Dawson
26-02-2022, 08:24 AM
Seriously people - ask your club what you get for your registration fees.
I know of a large club paying:
$40,000 for their grounds in Newcastle over the course of a year
$25,000 for the presentation day (incl trophies, rides, food etc)
$**,000 for maintenance and improvements (where Council are not fulfilling)
$80,000pa for new uniforms every year that the kids keep (because they cannot find enough volunteers to collect, sort, store and manage every year)
$*,000 every year subsidising development sessions with professional coaches (part parent paid /part club)
$*,000 paying junior club refs for mini Roos
Clubs have 3 streams of revenue available- regos, sponsorships and general fundraising. COVID has slowed sponsorship and fundraising difficult. If either of the last 2 are. It working as they should the last means is increasing rego fees - plain and simple - or you reduce your service level.
All of this needs to be dispersed via regos, and if parents like and want this level of service they will pay for it.
All I am saying is, every club is different in what they offer. What has been posted by NNSW is not a true representation - it is not apples vs apples.

Barry Dawson
26-02-2022, 08:30 AM
$80,000pa for new uniforms every year that the kids keep (because they cannot find enough volunteers to collect, sort, store and manage every year)
$*,000 every year subsidising development sessions with professional coaches (part parent paid /part club)
Clubs have 3 streams of revenue available- regos, sponsorships and general fundraising. COVID has slowed sponsorship and fundraising difficult. If either of the last 2 are. It working as they should the last means is increasing rego fees - plain and simple - or you reduce your service level.
All of this needs to be dispersed via regos, and if parents like and want this level of service they will pay for it.
All I am saying is, every club is different in what they offer. What has been posted by NNSW is not a true representation - it is not apples vs apples.

KITZ
26-02-2022, 09:04 AM
$900 to the club?

That is why some damn good players dont come to this extortionate system.

people keep flogging this as a reason, but I'm yet to see some amazing lost talent come out of a community club where they pay $100 a season. Because players aren't made on talent.... It's a complete fallacy. even in the "old" days the best players had parents working two jobs to pay for them to go overseas, to fund their development and training, they didn't make it on goodwill and fresh air.

People who keep saying this are either deluded or dreaming.

The Berlin Wall
26-02-2022, 01:12 PM
people keep flogging this as a reason, but I'm yet to see some amazing lost talent come out of a community club where they pay $100 a season. Because players aren't made on talent.... It's a complete fallacy. even in the "old" days the best players had parents working two jobs to pay for them to go overseas, to fund their development and training, they didn't make it on goodwill and fresh air.

People who keep saying this are either deluded or dreaming.

Jesus Christ lady. How the hell can you see something that has been lost?

Just because you can pay the fees for your brilliant kids don’t mean everyone can. In fact most can’t. You and others talk about how SAP and youth fees compare with ballet and dancing and other sports. Ever thought parents are getting ripped off for them as well?

Soccer is the people’s game and anything near $1K a season is too much. Amateur clubs rinsing parents to pay first graders despite what Eland and lying club presos say is an outrage.

Community clubs do it tough but do it great. Support them don’t boot them

KITZ
26-02-2022, 02:52 PM
Jesus Christ lady. How the hell can you see something that has been lost?

Just because you can pay the fees for your brilliant kids don’t mean everyone can. In fact most can’t. You and others talk about how SAP and youth fees compare with ballet and dancing and other sports. Ever thought parents are getting ripped off for them as well?

Soccer is the people’s game and anything near $1K a season is too much. Amateur clubs rinsing parents to pay first graders despite what Eland and lying club presos say is an outrage.

Community clubs do it tough but do it great. Support them don’t boot them

The wrong assumption your making is the word “afford”. I pay because that’s what I want my kids to do and sacrifice in other areas for it, your assumption that it’s easy or otherwise is based on literally no information. It’s no different to kids that play tennis or anything else. If my kids wanted to play socially id chuck them into my local club and not drive and be out 4 afternoons a week. Lots of parents even with the money wouldn’t sacrifice the time and would leave their kids in the closest club because it’s not high on what they think is important.

My point had nothing to do with getting rid of community clubs. Just the endless excuse that “the next rising star” is missing out because of fees. You could make it free and the same parents still wouldn’t spend the time driving their kids and they’d still miss out.

If community sport is pricing out kids that’s a completely different issue.

jessepinkman
27-02-2022, 03:38 AM
The wrong assumption your making is the word “afford”. I pay because that’s what I want my kids to do and sacrifice in other areas for it, your assumption that it’s easy or otherwise is based on literally no information. It’s no different to kids that play tennis or anything else. If my kids wanted to play socially id chuck them into my local club and not drive and be out 4 afternoons a week. Lots of parents even with the money wouldn’t sacrifice the time and would leave their kids in the closest club because it’s not high on what they think is important.

My point had nothing to do with getting rid of community clubs. Just the endless excuse that “the next rising star” is missing out because of fees. You could make it free and the same parents still wouldn’t spend the time driving their kids and they’d still miss out.

If community sport is pricing out kids that’s a completely different issue.

Delusional and clueless. there are many families who would love to be able to make some sacrifices to afford premier football. Unfortunately for those families, the choice is between rego or food on the table.

Consider yourself lucky that maybe you forego some personal enjoyment for your kids enjoyment, but some literally don’t have that wiggle room.

KITZ
27-02-2022, 08:06 AM
Delusional and clueless. there are many families who would love to be able to make some sacrifices to afford premier football. Unfortunately for those families, the choice is between rego or food on the table.

Consider yourself lucky that maybe you forego some personal enjoyment for your kids enjoyment, but some literally donÂ’t have that wiggle room.

Again, you don't know what I am or am not forgoing?

The point wasn't about kids enjoyment in community football, the comment was about how much "talent" is falling by the wayside because of the cost of higher development. The counter point is that even back in Timmy cahills day and earlier his mother worked 2 jobs and his brother quit school to work to pay for his football.

The insulation that it has EVER been easy or cheap to get to that level in this country is the fallacy, like things have somehow changed?

Mat Ryans mum - "When I played junior football and went to Westfields High she did things like negotiate the fees were paid off in instalments because, as a clerk for a transport company, it was impossible to pay them in one lump sum."

Craig Johnsons parents sold their house to send him overseas.

When you are talking poverty at the levels of not putting food on the table, the issues are MUCH bigger then playing football. Clothing, Health, Education, Housing affordability, public transport all need to be addressed. You'd could make football free and those kids would still miss out because their parents don't have a car, or can't afford fuel, or can't afford to buy boots to play. It becomes a significantly more complex issue for society then the cost of football fees.

I would argue for those in poverty just about any organised sport even just in the community is inaccessible for them and its just as crap as the public transport system, housing affordability and petrol prices. we live in a country with an extremely high cost of living.

The Berlin Wall
27-02-2022, 05:36 PM
Again, you don't know what I am or am not forgoing?

The point wasn't about kids enjoyment in community football, the comment was about how much "talent" is falling by the wayside because of the cost of higher development. The counter point is that even back in Timmy cahills day and earlier his mother worked 2 jobs and his brother quit school to work to pay for his football.

The insulation that it has EVER been easy or cheap to get to that level in this country is the fallacy, like things have somehow changed?

Mat Ryans mum - "When I played junior football and went to Westfields High she did things like negotiate the fees were paid off in instalments because, as a clerk for a transport company, it was impossible to pay them in one lump sum."

Craig Johnsons parents sold their house to send him overseas.

When you are talking poverty at the levels of not putting food on the table, the issues are MUCH bigger then playing football. Clothing, Health, Education, Housing affordability, public transport all need to be addressed. You'd could make football free and those kids would still miss out because their parents don't have a car, or can't afford fuel, or can't afford to buy boots to play. It becomes a significantly more complex issue for society then the cost of football fees.

I would argue for those in poverty just about any organised sport even just in the community is inaccessible for them and its just as crap as the public transport system, housing affordability and petrol prices. we live in a country with an extremely high cost of living.

Seeing Google has educated you about Mat Ryan’s mum’s payment plan let me give you some real world news. Get down to the parks in Jesmond and watch some of the African community boys down there and tell me they couldn’t just walk into any NPL youth team in the area. they would run rings around half the players in the comp on talent alone. But why don’t they play NPL youth? Google that and let us know the answer

Eastwest
27-02-2022, 06:46 PM

Players shouldnt pay for council ineptitude
Players shouldnt pay for extra coaching they dont need
Players shouldnt pay for over the top preso crap if its going to add 100s of dollars to rego

Its football not an ego pumping moron fest.

KITZ
27-02-2022, 07:14 PM
Seeing Google has educated you about Mat Ryan’s mum’s payment plan let me give you some real world news. Get down to the parks in Jesmond and watch some of the African community boys down there and tell me they couldn’t just walk into any NPL youth team in the area. they would run rings around half the players in the comp on talent alone. But why don’t they play NPL youth? Google that and let us know the answer

have you asked them? why do you assume kids want more or less from football? maybe they don't even know about NPL, or their parents want them to focus on their education. Not all talented players want or have the support of their parents to go further with any sport.

for example, I'm sure theres heaps of girls who are talented football players who aren't allowed to play for cultural reasons. I try not to assume because someone is doing or not doing something ie 'playing at Jesmond and not playing NPL' is because they are too poor to play NPL or don't have other life plans.

frankly it's a little racist and offensive to make assumptions about people at all without actually asking them, I would never assume someone isn't living the life they want or choose to without involving them in the discussion.

jessepinkman
27-02-2022, 08:16 PM
have you asked them? why do you assume kids want more or less from football? maybe they don't even know about NPL, or their parents want them to focus on their education. Not all talented players want or have the support of their parents to go further with any sport.

for example, I'm sure theres heaps of girls who are talented football players who aren't allowed to play for cultural reasons. I try not to assume because someone is doing or not doing something ie 'playing at Jesmond and not playing NPL' is because they are too poor to play NPL or don't have other life plans.

frankly it's a little racist and offensive to make assumptions about people at all without actually asking them, I would never assume someone isn't living the life they want or choose to without involving them in the discussion.

I’ll reply to this one and this one in the same reply, but “you don’t know what I’m forgoing”…. Well if it’s food for your family or medication for yourself or family, or rent (not a mortgage, you’re not on the same level as those who need it if you have an asset of any value that you can fall back on) then I can’t say I would make the same decision. If it’s not those things, then you’re not someone that needs to worry about what football costs, remembering that on top of rego is also all the associated gear, petrol, and of course other children to worry about. It astounds me that you can say premier football (or any football costs) is not a barrier for the best kids when
1. It is
2. You clearly are doing fine if your kids play premier football, and if you’re forgoing basic necessities so they can play Newcastle premier football

We lose the best athletes to the cheaper sports daily, we lose the more than best athletes to sports that identify them and pay for them 100%.

The football associations in oz from local to fa are a pyramid scheme, the top takes the cash, the bottom buy in and never see a return - opposite to afl and nrl etc.

Second, I wasn’t you you asked, but yes I have asked them. I’ve played against Simba for years - I’ve spoken to their committee and senior members. The club is set up because those families can’t afford community football, let alone premier. The best ones move after they’re late teenagers and can get their rego paid for by the club, in the senior setup, or the community sometimes sponsors them. Reaching into your already somewhat empty pockets to support someone else’s kid in your community to play premier football is so backward it’s not funny.

You’re just wrong lol.

The Berlin Wall
28-02-2022, 10:20 AM

If you think saying that kids in the African community are better than half the kids running around NPL is racist then you are more woke and over-privileged than you appear. Which is frankly amazing. To steep to the lowest of the low because your only lens is via a middle-class rose tinted bubble is pathetic.

Like my new best mate Jess Pinkman I have spent plenty of time around the clubs playing in those suburbs that you refuse to drive to and it is super clear that those kids have the same dreams your kids do. I won't repeat Jesse's reasons why thousands of dollars for soccer isn't achievable, other than to say he's right. But go ahead and tell us again that you taking time away Married at First Sight is the REAL sacrifice here.

Just stick to moaning with your friends about how hard it is to get your $50K SUV to all the grounds your kids need to and stay away from social comment because you clearly do not have a clue.

terry
28-02-2022, 11:52 AM
Like the other big sports in Aus football needs to be funded from top down.

Lichael Richards
28-02-2022, 12:29 PM

$14 ffA $20 nnsw $40 NewcF. Thats $74 for each player before we get the u6s -u12s community on the park. Scrap that crap.

Club kit and club component is most necessary. Have a stepped cap. u6 $50. u7 60, u8 70, u9 80 u10 90 and then 100 for the rest. Maybe a kit levy if needed.

Some clubs have over 500 junior community players. Thats a lot of doe.

Others like Ham Azzurri get their stuff done on next to nothing. If a club wants 500ft light towers then get corporate sponsors or stfu.

Aegon
28-02-2022, 01:03 PM
I can't believe no one even wants to comment on the insurance costs.
24% of NNSWF costs are insurance related.
Players should be required to provide their own insurance or sign a waiver.

In 40 years of playing multiple different sports I have copped a lengthy injury list. Probably about 4 weeks in hospital, a couple of surgeries and too many visits to the Emergency Room.

Not once have I or anyone I have ever known been required to claim against any sporting association or club.

I play O35's football still but I have income protection insurance & health insurance which is above and beyond the ridiculously low cover that approximately $600,000 of spend is required for.

boz-monaut
28-02-2022, 01:25 PM
spot on about insurance

I've run the All Age mens and Old Man sides Cooks Hill United for about half of it's history

I think in that time we've had probably two players get any money out of the insurance provided

you need to draw on your personal health insurance first, that's part of what we have to sign up to

then the income protection is once you've been off for more than three months (which would have to be a pretty serious injury)

not being able to opt out, or replace with your own insurance (which you have to anyway) is the bit that pisses me off about it

so for the tens of thousands we give to insurance every season, we've claimed at most, two thousand

Goatscheese
28-02-2022, 05:09 PM
What it doesn't say is that entry level kids at our club play up to 10 competition games more than any other club

How are your community kids playing 10 more competition games than any other club?

Goatscheese
28-02-2022, 05:11 PM
Lots of other little incidental costs like Electricity, Water, council fees.

If your club is in Lake Macquarie and they are telling you they have to pay for Electricity and water on top of the council fee (which can only be ground hire), then they are spinning you a lie as they are included in the ground hire fees.

If a Newcastle club then they do have to pay for lights on top of the hire fee for grounds but not water.

Goatscheese
28-02-2022, 05:14 PM
This is an ahole comment.
Its not supposed to be a ripoff societal business. Its supposed to be a healthy viable option for ALL families to participate without being ripped off for a change.
Clubs can still sign the best without being thieving grubs.
Its the arrogance and thieving from clubs and this chump thinks its ok. Your stance on this is a disgrace to the game.

Indeed because the kids aren't just going to one club other another there are kids leaving the code for good. Clubs who are charging high fees aren't doing anyone any favours by turning parents away from putting their kids in the sport.

Goldeneagle
28-02-2022, 11:06 PM
It's amazing just seeing the price difference between some of these clubs at entry level - we're talking Under 5 & 6 kids!

It's not just the football pyramid at the top who are greedy!

finzee
28-02-2022, 11:59 PM
It's amazing just seeing the price difference between some of these clubs at entry level - we're talking Under 5 & 6 kids!

It's not just the football pyramid at the top who are greedy!

Exactly.
And we're talking about u6 to u12s who are in it for the fun n giggles.
They dont need lights.
They train usually once a week maybe twice and play 14 games.

The whole package should be around $140 max.

finzee
01-03-2022, 12:22 AM
Costs of Football, if you want to give feedback, send an email to review@northernnswfootball.com.au

Link came from the costs of Football page.

Premy
09-03-2022, 12:07 PM
I was talking to Macquarie about this today. Not disclosing the extra $65 at rego is deceitful at best.

Haha pot meet the kettle.

matmoncrieff
10-03-2022, 04:47 PM
How are your community kids playing 10 more competition games than any other club?

We run a HUB at Kahibah, so we plan as many games as we can fit in. I think our 20 odd U6 and U7 teams will get hopefully around 24 games in this year maybe more if we don't get washouts. The other ages get more games as well. The fees advertised in a lot of cases are just not reflective of what some clubs offer over other clubs. I'm not pushing our barrow and we don't go out and openly advertise what we offer for our fee, just trying to make it clear that just looking at the fee alone cannot determine whether a club is too expensive. If a club is too high for your liking then in most cases there is another club just around the corner. I pay dance fee's I know what's cheaper.

ForeverRed
10-03-2022, 06:12 PM
We run a HUB at Kahibah, so we plan as many games as we can fit in. I think our 20 odd U6 and U7 teams will get hopefully around 24 games in this year maybe more if we don't get washouts. The other ages get more games as well. The fees advertised in a lot of cases are just not reflective of what some clubs offer over other clubs. I'm not pushing our barrow and we don't go out and openly advertise what we offer for our fee, just trying to make it clear that just looking at the fee alone cannot determine whether a club is too expensive. If a club is too high for your liking then in most cases there is another club just around the corner. I pay dance fee's I know what's cheaper.
How’s the dancing going, I hope you’ve improved 😂

matmoncrieff
11-03-2022, 12:35 PM
How’s the dancing going, I hope you’ve improved 😂

Always room for improvement.

Premy
11-03-2022, 06:53 PM
Anyone on here got any advice on how to obtain a Clubs General Meeting minutes when the Club Committee won't release the minutes?

It's pretty ridiculous that a Community Sporting Club would prefer to get Solicitors involved rather than being actually transparent.

finzee
12-03-2022, 11:12 PM
Anyone on here got any advice on how to obtain a Clubs General Meeting minutes when the Club Committee won't release the minutes?

It's pretty ridiculous that a Community Sporting Club would prefer to get Solicitors involved rather than being actually transparent.

Sadly, If it brings out the truth, go for it.

rawr.
13-04-2022, 06:11 PM

Refer to club's constitution, get your Member Zone to back you for support.
If you're a paid member, then you're entitled to see the minutes - if this is what is written in their Constitution.

terry
21-05-2022, 12:37 PM
O35 C grade
Greta Branxton 0
Valentine 1

Really good end to end game played in good spirits. Ended up only 1-0 but could have been 5 all based on chances.

Think youll find this belongs in the 035/allage/pub thread

BS detecor
21-05-2022, 12:47 PM
O35 C grade
Greta Branxton 0
Valentine 1

Really good end to end game played in good spirits. Ended up only 1-0 but could have been 5 all based on chances.

I saw a valentine v Nelson bay game that was not played in very good spirits, in fact for an over 35s game it was a disgrace. Was that anything to do with your team? I saw 2 yellows and a straight red in about 5 minutes

Aegon
22-05-2022, 08:32 PM
Think youll find this belongs in the 035/allage/pub thread

You are correct, fixed. Thanks for the heads up.

Aegon
22-05-2022, 08:52 PM
I saw a valentine v Nelson bay game that was not played in very good spirits, in fact for an over 35s game it was a disgrace. Was that anything to do with your team? I saw 2 yellows and a straight red in about 5 minutes

That was our game, did you watch the rest? The game settled down well and truly after that.
2-3 yellows for them, 1 red for one of our guys for getting up and pushing a bloke after a poor tackle. Retaliation though is always one where you can get a red that though. The other team also copped a red at the end for sliding in on our keeper (who hasn't played since due to injury). Those games happen though. Which is why I called out that this Fridays game was played in very good spirit.

BS detecor
22-05-2022, 09:11 PM
That was our game, did you watch the rest? The game settled down well and truly after that.
2-3 yellows for them, 1 red for one of our guys for getting up and pushing a bloke after a poor tackle. Retaliation though is always one where you can get a red that though. The other team also copped a red at the end for sliding in on our keeper (who hasn't played since due to injury). Those games happen though. Which is why I called out that this Fridays game was played in very good spirit.

No I left after the red. There was a little angry man running around trying to break legs and I just just remember being glad I don’t play in the serious division��

Premy
24-06-2022, 06:51 PM

If anyone on this Forum would know what being deceitful looks like it would be you.
A person that was extremely deceitful in tearing a whole community away from something they were so passionate about.

Two tone
08-09-2022, 11:57 AM
Junior sport and concussion.
In Britain heading the ball has been taken out of the game for kids under the age of 12
Such a easy thing to do, could we do this easy fix in Australian?