PDA

View Full Version : Player Eligibility

leftrightout
02-04-2014, 07:29 AM
I was checking out shit about the champions league games this week when i stumbled upon some interesting info.
It says that Diego Costa has played for both Brazil and Spain at national senior level. He was able to change as his games for Brazil were only friendly fixtures.
Yet Adama Traore cant play for Australia because he represented Ivory Coast at youth level.
But to make it more confusing, Rhys Williams represented Wales at U/21 level.

Does anyone know why there are so many different situatuions and why Williams can play for us and not Traore?

Premy
02-04-2014, 07:44 AM
When Traore played for Ivory Coast at youth level he was not eligible to play for Australia
When Williams played for Wales at youth level he was also eligible to play for Australia

pv4
02-04-2014, 07:46 AM
My understanding is the other guys were eligible for the one country before playing youth/friendly games for the other. AFAIK the reason Traore cannot play for Aus is he wasn't eligible for Australia before he played for IC, and thus couldn't earn his eligibility retrospectively (retroactively, phernz?) afterwards.

Premy
02-04-2014, 07:55 AM
My understanding is the other guys were eligible for the one country before playing youth/friendly games for the other. AFAIK the reason Traore cannot play for Aus is he wasn't eligible for Australia before he played for IC, and thus couldn't earn his eligibility retrospectively (retroactively, phernz?) afterwards.
Correct had Traore been eligible for Australia at the time he represented Ivory Coast he would now be able to play for Australia.

leftrightout
02-04-2014, 08:49 AM
Ah ok got it.
I suppose that makes sense... Still shit though!

pv4
02-04-2014, 09:04 AM
What I get really worked up about with the whole situation is when he originally signed for GCU it was clear to everyone that there could be the opportunity to groom him as the future Socceroo LB as he showed great promise. Then when he went to MV, the move was all about bettering him as a player to eventually see him earn a chance as a Socceroo. Between GCU, MV and the FFA, it took up until within 6 months or so of him becoming an Aus citizen to confirm he couldn't play for the Socceroos. Whether this was inaction from the clubs/FFA or FIFA - it is utter bullshit. Traore has potentially wasted many years of his career, when he could have been a visa player for a better club with better managers and better money, all in the interest of the Socceroos. Why it took this long to figure out or confirm he couldn't play is bullshit of the highest order.

He's only 23-24 years old, and will be considered a non-visa player for next year. But I can't see him hanging around, particularly when I see him with the opportunity to earn three times more money overseas.

Premy
02-04-2014, 10:02 AM
Why it took this long to figure out or confirm he couldn't play is bullshit of the highest order.
At that time there was a lot of confusion around the rules FIFA had in place, only until recent have there been clear ruling on what class a player eligible. I'm lead to believe before you could have cases judged separately and the rulings we're not consistent (the handful of Brazilians playing for Qatar and Japan)

GazFish35
02-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Australia is questioning FIFA on the qatar decision. Expect no favours.