PDA

View Full Version : GVE - please read ;)

scarfy96
04-07-2012, 10:16 AM
I know he doesn't hang out here but it it is the thought that counts ....

Liverpools new coach Brendan Rogers on some changes he wants to make at Liverpool from here:
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1112072/Rodgers-positive-about-revival

"Last year we (Swansea) used to defend with the ball and people in this country don't seem to understand that, they think you defend without the ball.

"But it is all about penetration and that is what I will look to bring here.

"Possession is no good on its own, it has to be with penetration."

Emphasis is mine.

I don't know how many times last season we dominated possession but just passed it all round the park and did nothing with it.

Still waiting for those "forward 3rd" signings Gary, hopefully they can provide some penetration.

Bon
04-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Penetration is good...

q-money
04-07-2012, 11:04 AM
penetration, the occupation of the nation

Zico
04-07-2012, 11:38 AM
I love penetration.

hauss
04-07-2012, 11:39 AM
I don't know how many times last season we dominated possession but just passed it all round the park and did nothing with it.

We were defending with the ball.

Jetmaster
04-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Possession is no good on its own, it has to be with penetration

That explains marriage problems in a nutshell !

hauss
04-07-2012, 01:24 PM
That explains marriage problems in a nutshell !

With marriage and football you might also want to remember that "penetration is no good without possession". It will keep you out of a lot of trouble.

Skirt Boy
04-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Screw possession football.

4-2-4 or 4-4-2.

Get it wide down the flanks and use brute force and pace to get it into the box.

Grimario
04-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Screw possession football.

4-2-4 or 4-4-2.

Get it wide down the flanks and use brute force and pace to get it into the box.

This. Peter Crouch and Josh Kennedy as marquees. Sign Milligan for his long throws.

Sorted.

hauss
04-07-2012, 01:35 PM
I remember borrowing a book from Newcastle Library once about the "English method" of playing football which was apparently based on a thorough statistical study that found that most goals are scored within 3 passes after a team regained posession. So, players were coached to play a direct attacking style. It may be that the English method produced self-fulfilling statistical results.

The book would probably be laughed at today but I wonder if the statistics are similar today.

furns
04-07-2012, 05:19 PM
The next Jetstream podcast episode may answer a bunch of questions/concerns you guys have. Sat down and interviewed GVE for about 25 minutes.
I will upload over the weekend.

selassie
09-07-2012, 05:20 PM
everyone knows short passes are for cowards. long passes are less likely to succeed and only the brave will attempt them.

/zhanglo

GazFish35
09-07-2012, 06:16 PM
I remember borrowing a book from Newcastle Library once about the "English method" of playing football which was apparently based on a thorough statistical study that found that most goals are scored within 3 passes after a team regained posession. So, players were coached to play a direct attacking style. It may be that the English method produced self-fulfilling statistical results.

The book would probably be laughed at today but I wonder if the statistics are similar today.

Get "inverting the pyramid"
Johnathan Wilson speaks of this study you mention..... And how those who ignored it win games

GazFish35
09-07-2012, 06:16 PM
everyone knows short passes are for cowards. long passes are less likely to succeed and only the brave will attempt them.

/zhanglo

Drive for show, put for dough?

hawk
15-07-2012, 04:13 PM

I saw this.
Yes 2 quick long passes works for gypos every week.
Possession football although important and looks rad needs to quick when going forward. Also needs to have players who can aim and keep therefore not in aleague.

Skirt Boy
15-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Lets be honest. Is Barcelona's success really because they play boring possession based football?

Of course not. Look who they have on their books?

GazFish35
15-07-2012, 04:33 PM
But they made them who they are by teaching them to play that way.

plague
16-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Lets be honest. Is Barcelona's success really because they play boring possession based football?

Of course not. Look who they have on their books?

I love the Internet.

hawk
18-07-2012, 07:24 PM
http://www.e-ignite.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/we_are_watching_you.png