PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle Museum Football Exhibtion during the Asian Cup

ToddG NBUnited
05-05-2014, 08:04 PM
There is a 134m2 area booked out at the Newcastle Museum to be used as a Football Exhibition in the lead up to and during the Asian Cup next year.

At this stage the scope of the exhibition is still being decided but it is expected to cover Newcastle Football (National League), NNSW Football (local clubs), Women's Football, Indigenous Football and Australia/Socceroos.

If you think you would be interested in assisting with the organisation of / maintaining the display let me know.

GazFish35
05-05-2014, 08:34 PM
Have you contacted Peter Allen?

hausmann
01-07-2014, 02:50 PM
Given the furore about the Jets 10 year anniversary thing, I think we should all be interested in this. You can't blame the club for acting like they do if we show no interest in this Football Exhibition.

I'm definitely interested and I would hope that the display could be turned into a permanent exhibition somewhere, hopefully at the Stadium, on trust for the football community so it can't be stored away and forgotten.

This is a chance for us to highlight what we think is important, help develop a distinctive narrative around football in the Hunter and create a legacy. Top footballing clubs and cities articulate and celebrate their own unique narrative. The embellish it and make it almost mythical. This is one such opportunity to develop and articulate our own football myths.

I'd also love to see an interactive element so that people can post their memories of attending games and visitors can make video blogs of their trip to Newcastle and the exhibition for the Asian Cup.

One thing that really saddened me about our foray into the Asian Champions League was that we never took the opportunity to act as good hosts. This exhibition can be one main focal point for our local hospitality to visitors, while staking our claim as a proud football community.

It is so important to the future development of football in our country that we engage in a relationship with Asia. And here we have Japan coming to our city! History is simply the result of interaction. If you don't interact, you don't create anything to treasure. I would love to see a regular exchange between a J-League club and the Jets that wasn't dependent on the Asian Champions League. It would be so much more beneficial to us than an LA Galaxy game or hoping for some top flight European pre-season exhibition match that will never materialise. That's why being a host city for the Asian Cup gives us such a great opportunity to show that we are a real footballing city to the rest of Asia (unlike Gosford).

ToddG NBUnited
02-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Great comments Haus, unfortunately this display hasnt materialised due mainly to a lack of funding. My understanding is that there is a long term plan to establish a permanent display at the stadium post the asian cup but have no idea of an estimated time or who is going to run with it. I will be getting in contact with the Jets directly to see if they have considered doing anything for it however i believe the AFC has control over the commercial interests within a certain perimeter of the stadium, not exactly sure how this will be policed though.

My personal long term goal is to establish a permanent football museum in newcastle.