PDA

View Full Version : Goal Line Technology

MFKS
06-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Premier League could use goal-line technology in 2012-13

Goal-line technology could be introduced in the Premier League midway through the 2012-13 season after it was approved by the International Football Association Board (IFAB) in Zurich.

Two systems - Hawk-Eye and GoalRef - have passed Fifa's criteria for use.

The technology will first be used at December's Fifa Club World Cup and, if successful, at the 2013 Confederations Cup and 2014 World Cup.
How does Hawk-Eye work?

Hawk-Eye's system works by using six cameras, focusing on each goal, to track the ball on the pitch.

The system's software then uses "triangulation" to pinpoint the exact location of the ball.

If it crosses the goal-line an encrypted radio signal is sent to the referee's wristwatch to indicate a goal has been scored.

In line with Fifa's requirements, the whole process takes less than a second to complete.

The Premier League said it wanted it "as soon as practically possible."

A statement following IFAB's announcement added: "The Premier League has been a long-term advocate of goal-line technology.

"We welcome today's decision by IFAB and will engage in discussions with both Hawk-Eye and GoalRef in the near future with a view to introducing goal-line technology as soon as is practically possible."

FA general secretary Alex Horne said it was up to the Premier League to decide on a timescale for implementation.

"It may be December until the technology is absolutely finally approved and installed in stadia," he said at a press conference in Zurich. "Priority is given to the Fifa Club World Cup in Japan.

"The Premier League need to talk to the two [technology providers] and the clubs. My understanding is that clubs are supportive and, in principle, as long as all clubs agree it could be introduced part-way through the season, it could be before the start of 2013-14 season, it could be part way through.
How does GoalRef work?

GoalRef uses a microchip implanted in the ball and the use of low magnetic waves around the goal.

The system then detects any change in the magnetic field on or behind the goal-line to determine if a goal has been scored.

The process takes less than one second, with the result electronically relayed to the referee.

"We have already got Hawk-Eye at Wembley, it needs to be calibrated and make sure it's working properly and licensed so we are nearly there and we could turn it on on quite quickly.

"The FA Cup would be our decision and we could say for the semi-finals and finals of the FA Cup we could turn it on, I don't think that is a very controversial decision."

Horne added that he felt it was "a hugely important day" for football.

"We believe that it is a great day for football. From an English perspective, today is a hugely important day. It is a cause we have had on our agenda for a number of years.

"This is about having the right technology helping the referee in a relatively rare occurrence."
Use accessible player and disable flyout menus
Fifa press conference

And FA chairman David Bernstein also hailed the decision, saying: "I think it is a momentous day and I'm proud to have been part of this decision-making."

The systems will require testing after they are installed in each stadium to ensure they are working properly before they can be used, with licenses lasting for 12 months.

Hawk-Eye was tested at Southampton's St Mary's Stadium in May and Fifa thanked the FA for its assistance.

A Fifa spokesman said: "We would like to place on record our sincere thanks to the Football Association for their willingness to support the live match tests, a critical part of Test Phase 2 for goal-line technology."

IFAB was keen to stress that technology will not be used to help referees make any other decisions.

The desire to bring in goal-line technology increased after Ukraine were denied an equaliser after the ball appeared to cross the line in a 1-0 defeat by England at Euro 2012.
What they said on Twitter

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand: "Goal-line technology approved... losing the essence of the game, debate, human error etc... saying that Hawk Eye in tennis is exciting!"
QPR midfielder Joey Barton: "Goal-line tech given green light in Zurich. At last, better late than never. Great news..."
Former USA captain Alexi Lalas: "So we finally have goal-line technology and the Higgs boson subatomic particle. This should clear everything up."

Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo said: "We see every season, every big tournament, we need it because there are some crucial moments within those games where you could find the right solution with a bit of technology."

Uefa president Michel Platini is believed to prefer the use of five match officials, something which was also approved by Fifa on Thursday.

The system, which sees an extra official posted behind each goal-line to monitor action in and around the penalty box, has been on trial since 2008 and was in use during Euro 2012 as well as last season's Champions League.

Football's governing body also lifted a ban on women wearing headscarves during games, clearing the way for the participation of many Islamic nations in top-flight competition.

WHY???:o:mad:

Human error is part of the game and makes it special. I don't want to see the ref get every decision right

goaliepersempre
06-07-2012, 12:50 PM
not a fan...

pv4
06-07-2012, 12:59 PM
death to modern football

or something like that

goaliepersempre
06-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Its all got to do with bloody betting... disc race...

Skirt Boy
06-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Spurs will finally be able to win a game at Old Trafford :D

GazFish35
06-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Not just spurs

immersion
06-07-2012, 04:55 PM
This is a great initiative for football in my opinion. Who wants to work hard at training and everything else it takes to be a pro footballer to have matches being decided by incorrect decisions by referees. And as a supporter i want my team to win fairly and lose fairly on merit not on poor decision by referees.

northern_swan
06-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Great day for football

toad
06-07-2012, 05:48 PM
how often do the refs get these types of decisions wrong? maybe once or twice a year across the major leagues/comps at most.
doesn't happen often enough to be a major issue imo.

there are plenty of other problems in the game that need fixing before this.

moses
06-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Stupid.
What's the point of the ref awarding a goal to the attacking team using goal line technology when due to a ****up by the linesturd the corner it come from should have been a goal kick to the defending team etc.

GazFish35
06-07-2012, 06:22 PM
how often do the refs get these types of decisions wrong? maybe once or twice a year across the major leagues/comps at most.
doesn't happen often enough to be a major issue imo.

there are plenty of other problems in the game that need fixing before this.

Youre right toad, these types of decisions easily even themselves out over 8 or 9 major tournaments in a fans lifetime. (not my joke, but it's my point)

fix FiFA's subjective decision making in boardrooms and under tables, before they worry about a few incorrect split second decisions made by referees.

If only the ex-co were open to a much scrutiny as referees.

If they go with the magnetic technology, watch for ultras throwing magnetics instead of coins!

On a more serious note, it's about time they greed to allow head scarves.
FFS one of their reasons behind it was concerns for players overheating.....while awarding Qatar a world cup in the middle of summer.

WolfMan
06-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Wow, I thought I was in the vast minority. I have always said the human element is part of the game. Both for players and officials.
Heartened to see that most of you agree that we don't want to see robots making decisions.

GazFish35
06-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Robots making decisions?
Who mentioned the Germans?

baldrick
06-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Wow, I thought I was in the vast minority. I have always said the human element is part of the game. Both for players and officials.
Heartened to see that most of you agree that we don't want to see robots making decisions.

I think the majority of people don't want goal line technology

pv4
07-07-2012, 08:06 AM
the non-goals that may or may not have gone over the line are a huge talking point. how many conversations did everyone have in 2010 about how lampard's goal would have completely changed the results against the germans?

my old man toured the old wembley once & apparently part of the tour was watching footage of a controversial overtheline/notovertheline england goal (does anyone know the one i'm talking about?) and the old guy who was the tour leader got everyone to put their hands up who thought it shouldn't have been an england goal (my dad put his hand up) and the guy said "well you can all f*ck off". he said it was one of the funnier memories he remembers from the tour.

just little examples, but it's a part of the game that i think sticks in peoples memories and shouldn't be taken away. if lampard hit that shot in 2010, and a buzzer sounded to say he scored, who the f*ck would remember that now, barely 2 years later?

there's bigger issues to worry about, and i like the whole idea of id2's having the same opportunities to be reffed as fairly as a world cup (albiet the refs are marginally better in the world cup). keep the universal game, universal.

Jetmaster
07-07-2012, 09:22 AM
I firmly believe mistakes are a major part of sport and it should be left at that.

In most cases goals are caused by mistakes from players, the minority are due totally to individual brilliance.

If the players and coaches are not going to be harangued forever for mistakes I don't see why the officials should be "perfect".

This stuff gives me the poops in cricket too - it evens out and gives you talking points.

1966 WC Final is still talked about to this day..............

GazFish35
07-07-2012, 10:30 AM
And the 1932 FA Cup final.

q-money
07-07-2012, 11:22 AM
rugby league is a joke these days, everything going to the video ref.

who wants to stand around pulling their dick in a stadium while waiting for a goal to be referred to billy harrigan in the booth...no-one

**** this and **** FIFA, more cow-towing to the rich as per usual

pv4
07-07-2012, 11:32 AM
rugby league is a joke these days, everything going to the video ref.

who wants to stand around pulling their dick in a stadium while waiting for a goal to be referred to billy harrigan in the booth...no-one

**** this and **** FIFA, more cow-towing to the rich as per usual

agreed. the moment they fall over the line for a try, nearly everytime you see the ref call the video ref. to me it says "shit, i don't want to attempt to do my job, let someone else cop the blame".

baldrick
07-07-2012, 12:11 PM
my old man toured the old wembley once & apparently part of the tour was watching footage of a controversial overtheline/notovertheline england goal (does anyone know the one i'm talking about?) and the old guy who was the tour leader got everyone to put their hands up who thought it shouldn't have been an england goal (my dad put his hand up) and the guy said "well you can all f*ck off". he said it was one of the funnier memories he remembers from the tour.

I can confirm anyone on a Wembley tour who says it wasn't a goal on the tour got scowled at. When I did it they had the goal post/crossbar used in the final on display & everyone who did the tour did an electronic vote for goal or no goal.

When the results got announced there was a very firm: "The referee gave a goal, therefore it was a goal."

Anyway, I'm still against goal line technology..

hawk
17-07-2012, 07:58 PM
No GLT needed. How often will it be called upon? But...

I am firmly in favour of tv camera to overule if ball goes over and offsides by the goal scorer. Why, I want these things right, tolerance is gone and there are plenty of other areas for the human element to fk a game to keep "purists" happy. eg pens, corruption puts food on the table.