Grimario
06-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Coffee.

Shame I can't get a good cup in Newcastle :mad:

furns
06-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Coffee.

Juicy Beans. Never had a bad cup. Then again I have only bean there twice.

Grimario
06-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Juicy Beans. Never had a bad cup. Then again I have only bean there twice.

I used to be a lover of JB and still go there occasionally, have a chat with PJ about football and get an ok cup of coffee. Then I spent a lot of time in Sydney for work and realised how shit everything up here is in comparison to the really good places down there. My problem with JB is their lack of consistency... some days I have the best coffee I have had in Newcastle, others I get something that I wouldn't be happy buying from Subway.

Reckon it went downhill as soon as Sasho left and they stopped sponsoring him :(

skippy
06-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Coffee.

bank corner coffee shop, rolador, suspension probably pick of the options.

I agree with Grimario its all about consistancy

Grimario
06-07-2012, 05:04 PM
bank corner coffee shop, rolador, suspension probably pick of the options.

I agree with Grimario its all about consistancy

People had raved to me about rolador... but it's a bit out of the way for a train commute from Maitland <-> Newcastle when you have a tight schedule. Got off at Hamilton one day specifically to go and get a coffee and waited 10 minutes for the hottest, shittest tasting coffee I have ever had. Swear it was made with boiling water, had none of the milk creaminess about it and there was no crema to speak of.

People still rave about it though so I am guessing I just got it on one of those inconsistent days.

WFMB - an hour respite in the shit weather to get a round of DG in at Jesmond Park. wooo.

boz-monaut
06-07-2012, 05:27 PM
make your own coffee at home before you leave then

save yourself $3.50 a day

Grimario
06-07-2012, 05:31 PM
make your own coffee at home before you leave then

save yourself $3.50 a day

$3.50... that might be the price at McCafe or Subway.

And what about my 930, 1130 and 1330 coffees? (Might be an addict)

boz-monaut
06-07-2012, 05:45 PM
my folks drink between six to eight cups a day, hell they even have one right before they go to bed at night

I used to be a bit of a coffee snob but I've found it's best to make a strong one exactly as I like it at home before work, one or two at work (at whatever quality there is there) and save myself the $100 or so a month to pay for my mortgage

you really do get used to whatever quality you have, so it's best to save yourself the cash

Grimario
06-07-2012, 05:53 PM
my folks drink between six to eight cups a day, hell they even have one right before they go to bed at night

I used to be a bit of a coffee snob but I've found it's best to make a strong one exactly as I like it at home before work, one or two at work (at whatever quality there is there) and save myself the $100 or so a month to pay for my mortgage

you really do get used to whatever quality you have, so it's best to save yourself the cash
Oh, for sure. When I am at home, I am drinking Aldi instant coffee... sadly, I would have to take my own coffee into the office if I wanted it and that is just a massive PITA.

hawk
08-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Coffee.

lower ya standards. Moccona is ok.

Skirt Boy
08-07-2012, 12:09 PM
The cafe on Bruce Street in Cooks Hill makes a nice coffee.

boz-monaut
08-07-2012, 12:43 PM
there are no cafes on Bruce St in Cooks Hill

I suspect that you mean pub and that you mean nice beer

Jetmaster
08-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Methinks a coffee thread maybe in order !

boz-monaut
08-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Methinks a coffee thread maybe in order !
no wuckers

hawk
08-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Frankies CooksHill does campos coffee

q-money
08-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Frankies CooksHill does campos coffee

pity the food's ****en terrible

got it good at work, actual campos up the road, hernandez on the other side in g-town, taste baguette in the law school, aw yeah

Grimario
08-07-2012, 09:55 PM
pity the food's ****en terrible

got it good at work, actual campos up the road, hernandez on the other side in g-town, taste baguette in the law school, aw yeah

I still haven't got up to Newtown for Campos, such a shit to get to. Concord is easy enough on the way in to the city (ish), so I am fairly often at Espresso Organica on Majors Bay Road.

Bon
09-07-2012, 09:44 AM
My Mrs (or Coffee Wench, as I refer to her) owns a cafe/deli in East Maito that I go to each morning, pretty damn good coffee..
Its amazing that between her and the three other girls there that could make the coffee, using the same ingredients, same machine, same everything. That each person makes a completely different tasting cup..

GazFish35
09-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Why are you eating the cup?

Bon
09-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Why are you eating the cup?

Well played sir..

Grimario
09-07-2012, 10:03 AM
My Mrs (or Coffee Wench, as I refer to her) owns a cafe/deli in East Maito that I go to each morning, pretty damn good coffee..
Its amazing that between her and the three other girls there that could make the coffee, using the same ingredients, same machine, same everything. That each person makes a completely different tasting cup..

Feel free to tell us where this is since I live in Maitland and could do with a good local drop.

Cino's in Greenhills itself is probably the best I have had up here but it has gotten to be pretty inconsistent as well. Oasis on High St in Maitland and Stillwater out at Lorn are both better than average and a hell of a lot more consistent than some other places. Lavenders in the mall is ok but the service has been shit the last few times we were there (told to hurry up with our orders 3s after sitting down so they could let the kitchen staff out, FFS) and coffee isn't good enough to make me overlook it.

Bon
09-07-2012, 10:06 AM
On another note.. Can someone shed some light on the difference between Liquid Gold and Estabar for me..
I live in the same building, up above them. Any morning I can go downstairs and Estabar has a lineup out the door.. And yet Liquid Gold is a dead-set ghost town..
I have only had Estabar coffees when I'm hungover (so at that point in time, and mind-set, oh and after the 40 minute wait, I could be drinking a cup of liquid pig-shit and it would still be better than how i was feeling)..
Is there really such a difference in their coffees? Is it the fact Estabar has a bunch of hot hippie-esque chicks working? Is it just the art-faggery image of being seen at Estabar?

(After asking all of this, I know I could easily just purchase a coffee from both places and compare, but that would require me doing that outside of work time. Right now I'm getting paid to type this rubbish.. ;) )

Bon
09-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Feel free to tell us where this is since I live in Maitland and could do with a good local drop.

Slices Deli in East Maitland.
My office is in East Maito so I've tried most of the places around here. Teale is ok but their service is slow as anything.. P'Chinos is decent and I used to frequent there a bit but it can depend on who you have serving you as to how it comes out. I used to go to DCM in Greenhills occasionally but that was only cause you could get it in a bucket-sized cup and got some free cinnamon donuts with it (the coffee was awful, hahah, I was choosing quantity over quality during that time)..

GazFish35
09-07-2012, 10:11 AM

There are many variables other than those you've listed, that alliance on the flavor of the coffee.
How much coffee is being used, the tamp, pour rate, milk freshness, milk temperature, milk heating technique, milk pour, even the humidity in the room. How often the machine is reset too.
It's as technical as wine

Grimario
09-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Slices Deli in East Maitland.
My office is in East Maito so I've tried most of the places around here. Teale is ok but their service is slow as anything.. P'Chinos is decent and I used to frequent there a bit but it can depend on who you have serving you as to how it comes out. I used to go to DCM in Greenhills occasionally but that was only cause you could get it in a bucket-sized cup and got some free cinnamon donuts with it (the coffee was awful, hahah, I was choosing quantity over quality during that time)..

Forgot about P'Chinos, it's pretty good as well... don't actually recall a bad coffee there but no mind blowingly good ones either.

I've apparently had friands from Slices Deli before... my wife says so so it must be true (that's how marriage is, right?). She also wonders why it is called Slices Deli and there aren't more slices available for purchase?

Worst coffee I have had up here was at New Capri. Wasn't expecting it to be great but was hoping for it to be better than it was. Have had better coffee from an International Roast tin :(

Grimario
09-07-2012, 10:16 AM
There are many variables other than those you've listed, that alliance on the flavor of the coffee.
How much coffee is being used, the tamp, pour rate, milk freshness, milk temperature, milk heating technique, milk pour, even the humidity in the room. How often the machine is reset too.
It's as technical as wine

But if you take out as many of those variables as you can (such as having them make coffee one after the other so room humidity, machine reset, milk freshness are non issues), it really comes down to how good they are at making a coffee.

That's the bit that blows my mind at JB... I can have two coffess 3 hours apart and they are the best and worst coffees I have in Newcastle.

q-money
09-07-2012, 10:53 AM
when you've got people that don't drink coffee making coffee, that's where your problem starts. an FATC* error.

*****wit at the controls

Grimario
09-07-2012, 10:58 AM
My manager suffers from similar issues (PICNIC, PEBKAC)...

Not sure if that is the problem with somewhere like JB though. PJ loves his coffee and some of the best and worst I have had there were made by him.

GazFish35
09-07-2012, 11:00 AM
But if you take out as many of those variables as you can (such as having them make coffee one after the other so room humidity, machine reset, milk freshness are non issues), it really comes down to how good they are at making a coffee.

That's the bit that blows my mind at JB... I can have two coffess 3 hours apart and they are the best and worst coffees I have in Newcastle.

That's why the tamp and the way they heat the milk are so important.
Tamp too heavy and the coffee is bitter, too light and it's weak, uneven and the coffee mouse tails and you get something even worse.
If the milk isn't done right, the heat overpowers the coffee, and if stretched properly the micro bubbles help the flavored of the coffee come out more.

Jetmaster
09-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Have noticed too that if a coffee shop is very busy, the coffee never seems to be as nice. When it's quiet you usually get a good one. That is one thing I have noticed about JBs.

Remember one great sight at JBs when PJ and the boys were pulling the the real coffees and his missus was around the side serving free instant coffees to the pensioners who just finished a morning show in the Civic !

Grimario
09-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Have noticed too that if a coffee shop is very busy, the coffee never seems to be as nice. When it's quiet you usually get a good one. That is one thing I have noticed about JBs.

Remember one great sight at JBs when PJ and the boys were pulling the the real coffees and his missus was around the side serving free instant coffees to the pensioners who just finished a morning show in the Civic !

JB is now "5 minutes or its free". I wish they would make it "good coffee or its free" instead.

Grimario
10-07-2012, 11:46 AM
I had an excellent coffee with breakfast from Chaddies today. So good that I got another one to go and finished it off at work.

GazFish35
10-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Anyone in newy roast their own beans?

Grimario
10-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Any coffee places or any individuals?

I know Coffee on Crown roast their own...

Marcus
10-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Too much effort. Just buy fresh. http://www.coffeecompany.com.au/

GazFish35
10-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Any coffee places or any individuals?

I know Coffee on Crown roast their own...

I meant places, only ask as the place I get my daily hit do single origin specialty roasts, and I struggle to enjoy much of the big name suppliers that some cafes go with.

You'd be a pretty heavy consumer to roast our own for personal use. Surely?

Grimario
10-07-2012, 01:17 PM
I meant places, only ask as the place I get my daily hit do single origin specialty roasts, and I struggle to enjoy much of the big name suppliers that some cafes go with.

You'd be a pretty heavy consumer to roast our own for personal use. Surely?

Are you calling me fat?!?!?!? :gent:

Tis sadly true :(

And yeah, probably... but unless it's during the ridiculously mad busy period at work, I am in the office more often than not and one of my mates roasts his own (or has a cousin that does or something...) so we drink that fairly often.

skippy
10-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Sprocket roast there own but I have an issue with the one of the owners so they can gagf, we use peaberrys at work does the job alright

the blue manc
10-07-2012, 05:06 PM
barrios in downtown mayfield is pretty good.

Grimario
02-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Not Novo but had awesome coffee in Shitney CBD today, Double Barrel in York St behind Wynyard Station. Loverly.

Hamma12
02-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Anyone in newy roast their own beans?

I know Peaberrys do

Grimario
15-10-2012, 12:13 PM
King Street Depot, Warners Bay

Now the best coffee in Newcastle.

front2
15-10-2012, 11:54 PM
I picked up the new 2013 aldi expressi gizmo 4 weeks ago. Saved enough money now to make a trip to Perth. Btw i have a sealed package of kopi luwak if anyone is interested.

Skirt Boy
16-10-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm never ever going to say a bad thing about a coffee joint in Newcastle.

Coffee in Germany is ****ed. Even the cafe's at the uni serve better coffee then the shit I'm getting here.

WolfMan
16-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Probably over-engineered

Skirt Boy
16-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Probably over-engineered

Actually you're not that far wrong actually. Most places don't serve a traditional coffee. They just press a button and it comes out of a machine.

skippy
16-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Come swing by the locale in New Lambton, more often than not I am manning the machine and more often than not you should get a pretty awesome coffee.

hawk
16-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Come swing by the locale in New Lambton, more often than not I am manning the machine and more often than not you should get a pretty awesome coffee.

Calling ya on that one!

Grimario
22-10-2012, 03:52 PM

Have recommended you to my coffee snob mate... hopefully will get in there myself sometime this week, possibly Thursday, and see if you live up to your own hype!

skippy
22-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Have recommended you to my coffee snob mate... hopefully will get in there myself sometime this week, possibly Thursday, and see if you live up to your own hype!

got Thursday and Friday off, can't really make any promises about other peoples coffees, but give it a whirl and see how ya go

skippy
23-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Alright coffeenerds, what is your favourite brand of coffee?

We might be switching suppliers, just seeing what the ppl like....

Cheers

GazFish35
23-03-2013, 05:15 PM
Cassiopeia specialty coffees.
Based in katoomba.

GazFish35
23-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Btw i have a sealed package of kopi luwak if anyone is interested.

How big, how much? etc etc

WolfMan
24-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Where's some decent places to buy fresh roasted beans around Newcastle?

I was buying from Real Coffee at Lorn when I was living near Maitland, but I don't want to have to travel that far if I can help it.

Grimario
17-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Anyone been into the new Soul Foods location yet?

I know it's the same bunch that had Soul Foods and Orange Tree up here in Maitland and I had some very good coffees at The Orange Tree before it closed.

skippy
17-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Check out the brand new silverskin coffeeshop in hunter st 271 or something, top bloke owns it roasts his own and won a bronze medal at the recent international coffee awards in Melbourne...

We have been using some of his stuff and been getting single origins and blends of the month still happening at work

Grimario
17-05-2013, 07:13 PM
That's half a block closer to me than Coffee on Crown... will check out on Monday.

Grimario
17-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Wait, 233 Hunter St, the old City Bakehouse building. That's almost twice the distance! Bah.

Will still check it out.

hawk
18-05-2013, 10:30 PM
parrently 5 union has good coffee. should check it out. may have to grind a bean though.

skippy
20-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Wait, 233 Hunter St, the old City Bakehouse building. That's almost twice the distance! Bah.

Will still check it out.

thats the one, beans are delish hopefully he has good people on the machine

Jetmaster
22-05-2013, 08:06 AM
Anyone had a coffee at the Macadamia Castle near Ballina - awesome and locally produced.

The barista there guarantees that you will be satisfied otherwise a remake or refund.

Shame it will be bypassed in the future.

Bon
22-05-2013, 08:11 AM
parrently 5 union has good coffee. should check it out. may have to grind a bean though.

I see what you did there.. hahaha.. Pecker was telling me you get there to sample the beans a bit..

Grimario
22-05-2013, 09:09 AM
thats the one, beans are delish hopefully he has good people on the machine

No idea who was behind the machine, two young bearded blokes.

Flavour wise, really good but not remotely hot enough and far too milky (probably as a result of not being hot enough).

pv4
22-05-2013, 10:55 AM
a mate of mine swears by one penny black in Hunter st mall.
I had a decent cup at ground floor in Hunter st once.
Apparently darkhorse is well worth the look, a coffee shop with antique furniture shop attached - planning on taking the Mrs there for a little date. I think it's in islington
a few people at the Mrs work also love the cafe attached to the nursery just on newcastle-side of Greenhills on the main road

Grimario
22-05-2013, 10:58 AM
I've not been in the office regularly for a few months... didn't realise there was also a new place opened up in Darby St, the old Pacific Dreams building. Will be checking that out soon as well.

Bon
22-05-2013, 10:59 AM
a few people at the Mrs work also love the cafe attached to the nursery just on newcastle-side of Greenhills on the main road

My office is just near Greenhills and I can't even picture where this nursery/cafe is?

Grimario
22-05-2013, 11:02 AM
My office is just near Greenhills and I can't even picture where this nursery/cafe is?

Heritage Gardens Nursery, at a guess.

Bon
22-05-2013, 11:05 AM
I think we worked out in the old foz that you and I do the opposite trips each day, Grimario..
Maito to Newy and Newy to Maito yeah?..

Grimario
22-05-2013, 11:08 AM
I think we worked out in the old foz that you and I do the opposite trips each day, Grimario..
Maito to Newy and Newy to Maito yeah?..

Sure do. House swap? My missus goes out to Charlestown 4-5 days a week for work as well. Madness.

Bon
22-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Sure do. House swap? My missus goes out to Charlestown 4-5 days a week for work as well. Madness.

Hahaha.. Ahhh man, should have mentioned earlier.. I had been looking for someone to rent my place while I'm in Europe for 11 weeks..
Rent was going to give me a massive fisting while travelling.. Sorted now though..

Anyway, back to coffee.. As i've said previously.. I am "not allowed" to try out any other coffees around the East Maitland area due to g/f owning Slices Deli.. (I get in enough shit off her if I go to get Noodle Box or Sushi for lunch instead, haha)

"not allowed" meaning that if I go elsewhere, I keep it highly under wraps.. :blush:

pv4
22-05-2013, 11:14 AM

you can see it from the main road. Between where the freeway-end joins the road and green hills, on your left if you're heading towards Maitland

Bon
22-05-2013, 11:18 AM
you can see it from the main road. Between where the freeway-end joins the road and green hills, on your left if you're heading towards Maitland

Ahhhhhh yeah.. I was thinking you meant the literal Greenhills shopping centre..
I know where it is now.. I've seen the advertising for the cafe on that main stretch a bit, never stopped in though..

Jeterpool
22-05-2013, 11:56 AM
a mate of mine swears by one penny black in Hunter st mall.
I had a decent cup at ground floor in Hunter st once.
Apparently darkhorse is well worth the look, a coffee shop with antique furniture shop attached - planning on taking the Mrs there for a little date. I think it's in islington

Wife got oone from One Penny Black - place smelt odd

skippy
22-05-2013, 01:54 PM
No idea who was behind the machine, two young bearded blokes.

Flavour wise, really good but not remotely hot enough and far too milky (probably as a result of not being hot enough).

Yeah I went in today as well, pretty much the same outcome tasted good but needed to be a bit hotter.

Than wandered down to One Penny Black for one, it was spot on only went with the blackstar coffee, but they do single origins there as well which may be worth a shot.

Lately I have also been to Salunas on Hunter st, near the greater union, they use Di bella beans which are a Brisbane coffee they do a single origin as well. It was pretty good as well.

Coffee On Crown: Roast there own I believe, I wasn't happy with my coffee, no crema, really acid taste to it. Have heard good things from others but maybe I just got a shit one.

Glee Roasters on darby st: Just a little hole in the wall coffee shop, but roast there own as well, have been there twice had there Akiko blend, have had a really really good coffee both times, it seems to have a really high caffeine content as after 1 piccolo I have been buzzing.

Also did not realise that a pre-requisite for being a barista was having a shitty beard, every damn place.

Grimario
22-05-2013, 02:51 PM
The amount of money I spend on coffee, I am seriously considering putting in a request for a pod machine of some sort for the office.

Grimario
23-05-2013, 10:57 AM
I've not been in the office regularly for a few months... didn't realise there was also a new place opened up in Darby St, the old Pacific Dreams building. Will be checking that out soon as well.

Went in there today. Agosti Espresso. Apparently been roasting beans for a while and has a place over at Honeysuckle. Will have to go back and have another one to see how consistent they are but definitely one of the best coffees I have had in Newcastle in a long while.

Jetmaster
23-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Ahhhhhh yeah.. I was thinking you meant the literal Greenhills shopping centre..
I know where it is now.. I've seen the advertising for the cafe on that main stretch a bit, never stopped in though..

Good coffee - more of a sit, down brekky sort of place rather than a takewaway. You have to walk through the gardens to get to the cottage.

Grimario
29-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Went in there today. Agosti Espresso. Apparently been roasting beans for a while and has a place over at Honeysuckle. Will have to go back and have another one to see how consistent they are but definitely one of the best coffees I have had in Newcastle in a long while.

Have now had three coffees from there, different barista on all occasions and the coffee has been consistently fantastic. Huzzah. Now, if they took amex, I could do work lunches there

Jeterpool
29-05-2013, 08:32 AM
Have now had three coffees from there, different barista on all occasions and the coffee has been consistently fantastic. Huzzah. Now, if they took amex, I could do work lunches there

Where in honeysuckle are the Grim? Might take the wife there - she's the coffee drinker.

Grimario
29-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Where in honeysuckle are the Grim? Might take the wife there - she's the coffee drinker.

No idea where the one at honeysuckle is. The one I've been to is in the old surf shop just off the corner of Hunter abs Darby.

skippy
29-05-2013, 08:47 PM
No idea where the one at honeysuckle is. The one I've been to is in the old surf shop just off the corner of Hunter abs Darby.

Pretty sure its the old twist at honeysuckle, inbetween dockyards and silo....

I went to go to the one in at PD'S today but got distracted ended up having one at frankies place was pretty good but nothing special, they use campos beans

pv4
01-06-2013, 09:27 AM
One of the sponsors of westlakes Juniors donated a coffee machine to the club. On Sat mornings when there's a few games on they also have one of the sponsors workers to make the coffees. confirmation it's the best coffee I've had at football ever. A bit of a wait when all the football mums have orders in queue but worth it

skippy
04-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Anyone been to cafestry in town? Apparently have a la marzacco strada which is a machine where you can control the amount of pressure of the shit allowing for different flavours to come through... I might have to venture in tomorrow to check it out.

Edit: They also use seven seeds coffee, all the rage in Melbourne

skippy
22-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Time to resurrect this bad boy, new places to check out include Welsh Black Espresso on Bull Street, the old feast the big rig from One Penny Black runs it using Alchemist coffee he is also going to start serving 'carbonated coffee' out of beer taps will be interesting to see how that goes.

Side Pocket Espresso at Mayfield, weird spot but the chick makes a mean coffee using Single Origin Roasters.

B-Side Cafe in Charlestown using Ducale coffee from Melbourne, met the Ducale guys down at the Melbourne International Coffee Expo and they were the most down to earth people there, took alot of the wanker factor out of coffee which is never a bad thing.

Grimario
22-05-2014, 12:05 PM
:(

evolution
22-05-2014, 12:58 PM
My coffee career is only in it's infancy but Saluna on King St is my pick!

hawk
22-05-2014, 01:36 PM
B-Side Cafe in Charlestown using Ducale coffee from Melbourne, met the Ducale guys down at the Melbourne International Coffee Expo and they were the most down to earth people there, took alot of the wanker factor out of coffee which is never a bad thing.

you went to a national coffee expo? dedication man

furns
22-05-2014, 02:54 PM
not being a current resident I havent had much of a chance to indulge in local coffee snobbery, but Eurobar at Hamo seems to be decent.

skippy
22-05-2014, 03:11 PM
you went to a national coffee expo? dedication man

Talked the boss into a work trip, we are opening up another cafe in about 10 weeks so wanted to go check out some ideas.

Was good to see but **** there was alot of wankers about.

The Dunster
23-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Given the propensity for cockroaches to nest in commercial coffee machines I'll stick to instant coffee at home thanks.

Finding a coffee machine not full of cockroaches is about as likely as the Jets signing a quality marquee for next season.

q-money
23-05-2014, 03:23 PM
nothin' like a good old international roast ay

Grimario
25-07-2016, 04:00 PM
Right. I've been out of town for 2.5 years, will be working at either Darby/Hunter or possibly Hamilton. Lawrie McKinna appears to recommend Blue Door and a mate has recommended One Picket Fence.

Where is good coffee these days?

Superdylan
25-07-2016, 05:48 PM
not being a current resident I havent had much of a chance to indulge in local coffee snobbery, but Eurobar at Hamo seems to be decent.

Yeah they aren't too too bad there. Breakfast menu there isn't too overpriced either.

Right. I've been out of town for 2.5 years, will be working at either Darby/Hunter or possibly Hamilton. Lawrie McKinna appears to recommend Blue Door and a mate has recommended One Picket Fence.

Had a caramel latte at The locale in New lambton. Not too bad at all there. Very nice venue too.

Grimario
25-07-2016, 06:43 PM
Caramel latte ffs

lquiquer
25-07-2016, 07:03 PM
A bit out of your way but coffee shop corner of Llewellyn and Dent street in Merewether has lovely coffee......And if you ever go Maitland way find the Bearded Cactus (Go on FB to see location / they been moving a round a bit lately)..... but best coffee in the region........

evolution
25-07-2016, 08:16 PM
I work around the Hunter/King/Watt St area and there's a few good coffee shops around... Saluna, Xtraction, Good Brothers, Ground Floor. Goldbergs on Darby also delivers the goods.

Can't say I'm a fan of One Penny Black but many swear by it. Vinyl isn't too bad if you don't mind waiting all day.

hawk
25-07-2016, 10:30 PM
Zinc on Darbo.

Left my phone there and got it back from the lovely staff.

Am indebted to its customers and staff and will stay loyal regardless of what pretentious beans are going down. that is until it changes hands in 12 months time.

Jetmaster
26-07-2016, 07:53 AM
Great coffee in Maitland - its why they have the Aroma festival there.

Roost, Heritage Gardens, Art Gallery, Green Hills Library does great Byron Bay coffee. Since Bearded Cactus quite a few popups have appeared in Melbourne St and Lawes St.

There was an article in the Herald a few months ago.

Grimario
26-07-2016, 08:45 AM
Maitland is probably a bit far for me to walk outside the office and grab something at 1030 each morning.

And too many bad memories up there. **** Maitland.

skippy
26-07-2016, 09:00 AM

Righto these are your best options in no particular order:

Welsh Black
Core Espresso*
Dark Horse
One Penny Black
Glee
Good Brothers
Ground Floor but I'm not a huge fan of the grounds coffee.
Fortunate Son
Apocathery Cafe.
Barcito *

If you are ever in New Lambton Corner Lane is the way to go, do yourself a favour and get yourself a cold brew.

*I can be found working the machine on a very rare occasion.

q-money
26-07-2016, 12:12 PM
If you are ever in New Lambton Corner Lane is the way to go, do yourself a favour and get yourself a cold brew.

big ticks for corner lane - absolute ripper

gee whiz on newy prices though, an absolute rort - you'd never get away with the outrageous graft you see in newcastle in sydney. i am flabbergasted at some of the gouging going on

Grimario
26-07-2016, 12:31 PM

gee whiz on newy prices though, an absolute rort - you'd never get away with the outrageous graft you see in newcastle in sydney. i am flabbergasted at some of the gouging going on

How much is a macchiato going to set me back?

baldrick
26-07-2016, 12:32 PM
Euro at New Lambton does a pretty good coffee

q-money
26-07-2016, 12:35 PM
How much is a macchiato going to set me back?
if you're paying any more than $3 for a macchiato you are getting ripped imo

q-money
26-07-2016, 12:41 PM
that being said, australia gouges you for everything.

the italians have the right idea. if yer standing up, espressos, macchiatos etc shouldn't cost more than $1.50, $2 at a push

The Dunster
26-07-2016, 02:47 PM
#1 Coffee would be the ones they serve at the Edgeworth games not because it tastes great but because they have the ticker to take a dump into a blender, liquefy it, heat it up, then sell it to unsuspecting customers as coffee. 5/5.

pv4
26-07-2016, 02:59 PM

something something cost of housing something something

plague
26-07-2016, 03:41 PM
And too many bad memories up there. **** Maitland.

I love you like a brother but I'll throw hands for disrespect like this.

Grimario
26-07-2016, 03:55 PM
Not Maitland's fault. Just don't really fancy heading back up that way unless I install a DG course at Stockade Hill or the WWW.

GazFish35
21-11-2016, 07:07 PM
Anyone tried the "killer coffee" branded beans?

Grimario
21-11-2016, 07:14 PM
No.

You should all try BOLT roasters. Amazing.

furns
21-11-2016, 11:05 PM
Sprocket Roasters. Support the guys that supported NewyHelps :thumbsup:

parksey
22-11-2016, 08:50 PM

Welsh Black
Core Espresso*
Dark Horse
One Penny Black
Glee
Good Brothers
Fortunate Son
Apocathery Cafe.
Barcito *

Pretty good list.

My usual haunts for a quick coffee are The Locale and The Hood. Used to be huge into Corner Lane but found my last few to be a bit hit and miss.

Also, Swell on Llewelyn St is pretty solid. And Bolton Street Pantry.

If only they knew how to make coffee in western Sydney. Can't find anything better than a 7/10 around here, other than a few places in Parra.

pv4
23-11-2016, 08:31 AM
I'm probably the inverse of a coffee snob - I drink anything and mostly enjoy it. The only coffee I don't like the taste of is Nescafe Blend 40 whatever, and that's because I've been drinking it every day at work for 8 years now :rof:

But I just don't understand coffee snobs, hey. Was with a small crew 2 weekends ago in Charlestown and we were heading into the square. One of the crew announces that there's a coffee shop that is not only the best in the square, but the best in town. We walked all the way to the old section, up the top, and ended up at some place I've already forgot the name of (from memory there was a tree in the logo, or on the shop, or something?). Anyway, the coffee was fine but nothing to rave home about. The guy who made us go there was basically staring at us with every sip, continually asking "how good is this". I've had way, way better from McCafe - McCafe are hit & miss but honestly, some of the coffees I've gotten from there have been sensational.

I struggle to find the motivation to care about particular coffee shops, and every single time I've been recommended from someone to go to a particular place the result is nowhere near the hype.

Grimario
23-11-2016, 09:55 AM

Welsh Black
Core Espresso*
Dark Horse
One Penny Black
Glee
Good Brothers
Fortunate Son
Apocathery Cafe.
Barcito *

Apothecary Cafe is now my local for work. Either that or Gloria Jeans...

lquiquer
23-11-2016, 10:16 AM
Drift at Merewether and the Cactus at East Maitland :wub:

Jetmaster
23-11-2016, 10:31 AM
I'm probably the inverse of a coffee snob - I drink anything and mostly enjoy it. The only coffee I don't like the taste of is Nescafe Blend 40 whatever, and that's because I've been drinking it every day at work for 8 years now :rof:

But I just don't understand coffee snobs, hey. Was with a small crew 2 weekends ago in Charlestown and we were heading into the square. One of the crew announces that there's a coffee shop that is not only the best in the square, but the best in town. We walked all the way to the old section, up the top, and ended up at some place I've already forgot the name of (from memory there was a tree in the logo, or on the shop, or something?). Anyway, the coffee was fine but nothing to rave home about. The guy who made us go there was basically staring at us with every sip, continually asking "how good is this". I've had way, way better from McCafe - McCafe are hit & miss but honestly, some of the coffees I've gotten from there have been sensational.

I struggle to find the motivation to care about particular coffee shops, and every single time I've been recommended from someone to go to a particular place the result is nowhere near the hype.

Totally agree - same crowd who rave about all the different craft beers. TBH I try many coffees in Newy and Sydney - you only remember the crap ones and avoid those places.

Grimario
23-11-2016, 11:26 AM

The temperature is off at McDonald's. Can't make a good coffee for shit.

I'm a semi snob. There's some shit places out there.

The Dunster
23-11-2016, 11:38 AM
The temperature is off at McDonald's. Can't make a good coffee for shit.

I'm a semi snob. There's some shit places out there.

If you mix cockroach piss and shit in with instant coffee it should taste similar to what you get from a commercial coffee machine.
The only difference is that the instant coffee will save you money.

No amount of cleaning no matter how fastidious can make any commercial coffee machine even remotely hygienic.

Macca
23-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Totally agree - same crowd who rave about all the different craft beers. TBH I try many coffees in Newy and Sydney - you only remember the crap ones and avoid those places.

No clue when it comes to coffee, I don't drink much and pretty much only instant when I do.

I'm not a craft beer afficionado or anything close - but I think if anyone can't tell the difference between say a VB/New/etc and a pale ale you're kidding yourself. There are definitely beers I much prefer to others when given the choice.

The Dunster
23-11-2016, 01:05 PM
No clue when it comes to coffee, I don't drink much and pretty much only instant when I do.

I'm not a craft beer afficionado or anything close - but I think if anyone can't tell the difference between say a VB/New/etc and a pale ale you're kidding yourself. There are definitely beers I much prefer to others when given the choice.

I find the hangover the next day is the measure of any beer. Anyone that's downed a dozen or more silver bullets back in the day will understand what I mean. They made you crook as a dog the next day.

skippy
23-11-2016, 03:03 PM
Pretty good list.

My usual haunts for a quick coffee are The Locale and The Hood. Used to be huge into Corner Lane but found my last few to be a bit hit and miss.

Also, Swell on Llewelyn St is pretty solid. And Bolton Street Pantry.

If only they knew how to make coffee in western Sydney. Can't find anything better than a 7/10 around here, other than a few places in Parra.

haha I used to be head barista at both of those joints owned by the same people, so I will take that as a compliment.

I just drink cold brew now, the guy at the markets that sells it does a great job if I can't be ****ed making my own.

The Dunster
02-02-2017, 10:59 PM
All I drink is double shots of espresso in a 90ml espresso cup. I can't bring myself to put sugar or milk into it as it destroys the flavour and aroma.
I'm currently on the hunt for a coffee machine to save a few bucks - but doing the maths it will take about 5 years before I break even - if I'm lucky.

hawk
02-02-2017, 11:57 PM
All I drink is double shots of espresso in a 90ml espresso cup. I can't bring myself to put sugar or milk into it as it destroys the flavour and aroma.
I'm currently on the hunt for a coffee machine to save a few bucks - but doing the maths it will take about 5 years before I break even - if I'm lucky.

And can I get a machine that fills a cup. This 60ml of supposed "good" coffee is for mice (& roaches).

The Dunster
03-02-2017, 01:13 AM
And can I get a machine that fills a cup. This 60ml of supposed "good" coffee is for mice (& roaches).

Your Gulfstream G550 should have come with a coffee machine Hawk.

skippy
03-02-2017, 08:51 AM

If I was going to get a home coffee machine and had Hawk like cash the only machine to purchase is a La marzocco GS3 about the $8k mark, something a bit more reasonable is the La marzocco Linea Mini aorund the $5k mark, but just as importantly as the machine is the grinder and a mazzer mini about $1k is the go.

A good grinder is as important if not more important than the machine so factor that into your costs.

As for my home coffee, I run a hario skerton hand grinder, bonavita electric kettle which allows temp control and precise pouring and a chemex as the pour over device, either that or buy a bottle of cold brew from the guy at the farmers markets and have it on ice.

Grimario
03-02-2017, 09:41 AM
I have a kettle and some blend 43.

Jetmaster
03-02-2017, 11:11 AM
My dad used to swear by this....

http://store.cheapfoods.com.au/713-home_default/nes-coffee-milk-tube-190gm.jpg