PDA

View Full Version : The Cooking Thread

Jeterpool
24-03-2015, 07:29 AM
OK, went looking for a relevant thread and couldn't spot one and I need some help.

I had my first attempt at the weekend at a chilli tomato chutney and it turned out well. Except we bought some jars and we followed what we thought was the process for sealing them but they don't appear to be air tight.

Can anyone provide me advice on:

- Where to buy decent jars for long term storage of chutney/preserves

- The process you've used for sealing said jars.

Any tips are appreciated.

Bon
24-03-2015, 09:35 AM
OK, went looking for a relevant thread and couldn't spot one and I need some help.

I had my first attempt at the weekend at a chilli tomato chutney and it turned out well. Except we bought some jars and we followed what we thought was the process for sealing them but they don't appear to be air tight.

Great post and thread..
I've been wondering the same actually, except I've been looking in to making some chili oil and wondering about the container/jar/bottle..
I've been growing chilis on the balcony (yellow bhut jolokia - ghost chilis, chocolate habaneros and trinidad 7 pod pink) and am trying to work out what to do with the insanely hot bastards..

I'm afraid I can't help you Jeterpool, but am looking forward to hearing what anyone else can come up with.. haha

belchardo
24-03-2015, 10:26 AM
will get my wife to respond tonight.

Jeterpool
24-03-2015, 12:41 PM
Cheers belchardo.

Grimario
24-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Thought I had got the last BBQ days out of the season a few weekends ago but we've got another pair of 30ish days coming over the weekend, so going to get out there and cook some stuff on the weekend.

Recent blokey bbq pics...

http://i.imgur.com/2ONnbpn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WzSBQYp.jpg

The last one is a side of lamb, marinated in a whole bunch of greek herbs and spices. Was amazing.

Grimario
24-03-2015, 12:56 PM

Mrs Grim made a bunch of jams when we were still in Maitland, didn't have much luck buying jars. Found some in shops, were either overpriced or shit quality that didn't seal well at all. She ended up buying a bulk box of 48 from somewhere online... will check when she gets home. And will ask about sealing as well... from memory it involved the oven, lots of sterilised trays and boiling water or something.

belchardo
24-03-2015, 01:57 PM
Thought I had got the last BBQ days out of the season a few weekends ago but we've got another pair of 30ish days coming over the weekend, so going to get out there and cook some stuff on the weekend.

Recent blokey bbq pics...

http://i.imgur.com/2ONnbpn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WzSBQYp.jpg

The last one is a side of lamb, marinated in a whole bunch of greek herbs and spices. Was amazing.

"blokey"? pretty sure I see tofu on there.

belchardo
24-03-2015, 01:58 PM
And will ask about sealing as well... from memory it involved the oven, lots of sterilised trays and boiling water or something.

yes, this is what my wife does. and she just uses jars/bottles from things we've bought (like empty jam jars)

Jeterpool
24-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Mrs Grim made a bunch of jams when we were still in Maitland, didn't have much luck buying jars. Found some in shops, were either overpriced or shit quality that didn't seal well at all. She ended up buying a bulk box of 48 from somewhere online... will check when she gets home. And will ask about sealing as well... from memory it involved the oven, lots of sterilised trays and boiling water or something.

yes, this is what my wife does. and she just uses jars/bottles from things we've bought (like empty jam jars)

Sounds good gents, thanks.

The recycling of bottles is the route I'm thinking of going down because I'm not sure where to get them from.

Grimario
24-03-2015, 02:08 PM
"blokey"? pretty sure I see tofu on there.

Haloumi. Tofu isn't allowed on the property.

Grimario
24-03-2015, 02:09 PM

Yeah, first few batches that's what we did as well... but we had 3 orange trees so there were a few batches of marmalade that we just didn't have enough jars for.

Having uniformly shaped jars helped as well.

pv4
24-03-2015, 02:15 PM
Haloumi. Tofu isn't allowed on the property.

Freaking LOVE haloumi. Squeaky cheese is the best!!

Jeterpool
24-03-2015, 02:19 PM
Grim & belchardo - please ask if there are any tricks they use for removing air that might get caught in the mixture while pouring/spooning it into the jar.

pv4
24-03-2015, 02:28 PM
If yall are keen on cooking, watch Jon Favreau's movie Chef. It was great for a watch and got your mouth watering. After I watched it, I made Cubanos and they were amazingly delicious.

A couple of weeks back I made chimicurri to put on meat, and it was unreal. Delicious stuff. I probably made it a little too oily though, so next time I make it I'll attempt to thicken it up a bit. But I'll definitely be making it again in the future, it could go on any meat and be good I reckon. I'm led to believe Argentineans don't eat meat without it :rof:

plague
24-03-2015, 02:33 PM
Ok, before this thread gets too serious, (great thread by the way Jeterpool) anyone that starts a sentence with "what I liked about the dish was......".

Cooking shows have turned a whole heap of assholes loose onto our society.
**** those people.

Also: Haloumi is the business. Well in sir.

Grimario
24-03-2015, 02:40 PM
If you mention mouth feel, I will also go plague upon you.

Mrs Grim has recently been diagnosed as gluten intolerant. Gluten free pasta is ****ing atrocious. Thinking about making a spag bol with spaghetti squash instead.

pv4
24-03-2015, 02:46 PM
Mrs Grim has recently been diagnosed as gluten intolerant.

Who exactly diagnoses these things? Is it even legit?

Give cauliflower rice a go some time. A decent alternative to pasta/rice and it gives you an excuse to tick off one of the veges you should have consumed that day. Put a bit of garlic, a bit of soy sauce, in it and you'll never know what it's made out of - just that it has a good texture and compliments pretty much every sauce-y dish really well.

Grimario
24-03-2015, 03:03 PM
Who exactly diagnoses these things? Is it even legit?

Give cauliflower rice a go some time. A decent alternative to pasta/rice and it gives you an excuse to tick off one of the veges you should have consumed that day. Put a bit of garlic, a bit of soy sauce, in it and you'll never know what it's made out of - just that it has a good texture and compliments pretty much every sauce-y dish really well.

She'd been unwell for a few months, crazy headaches, horrible nights sleep plus bunch of GI drama. Did a whole bunch of tests and it was eventually diagnosed by doctor telling her to cut out gluten and see how she reacted. Cleared up within a week. Then to be an idiot and tempt fate, she ate bread and spent 2 days exploding from both ends. Process of elimination, it would seem.

It sucks for Mrs Grim being a pastry chef and all... means I get all this shit to myself when she makes it.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b214/Grimario/420274_3458877788015_1153013703_3361261_1520348398 _n.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b214/Grimario/154212_1727715150031_1153013703_1899621_4118380_n. jpg

Does mean I get all of the lasagne as well.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b214/Grimario/las3.jpg

I do love my garlic/soy stir fries... snow peas are the bomb. Will check out your cauliflower rice suggestion, a good alternative to the usual hokkein noodles that the wife can no longer eat.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b214/Grimario/dinner.jpg

pv4
24-03-2015, 03:09 PM
Cauliflower rice would go unreal on that stir fry. Just food-processer a heap of cauliflower, put a bit of oil in your pan, a bit of minced garlic, chuck the cauliflower in and continually toss till it gets golden-ish. Add garlic as needed. Chuck some salt and pepper in for the kick. Soy sauce goes good too, or more garlic. Give it a few goes and see how you best like it. Simple and easy.

belchardo
24-03-2015, 03:27 PM
Freaking LOVE haloumi. Squeaky cheese is the best!!

absolutely HATE haloumi. Squeaky cheese is the worst.

Goats cheese is the best.

q-money
24-03-2015, 04:46 PM
deadset some of the posts in here are worse than plague's earlier clanger praising 5 seconds of summer

Grimario
24-03-2015, 06:08 PM
If you have a dishwasher, run the jars through the hottest cycle you can without them breaking, obviously no detergent. Failing that, book the jars for ten minutes.

Mrs Grim also said that big w has a ball mason preserver starter kit with a heap of good stuff in it. They also stock top quality jars. Alternatively, spotlight has some as well.

Grim & belchardo - please ask if there are any tricks they use for removing air that might get caught in the mixture while pouring/spooning it into the jar.

Put everything in hot, put the lid on while still hot then let it cool and settle upside down. Helps seal the jar and keep longer.

MFKS
24-03-2015, 06:47 PM
Let fly the recipes then of your special dishes you like doing.

My best dish

1kg green prawns. Shelled completely. If you want to go to the hassle of deveining them knock yourself out

In the wok dollop of oil half a tea spoon of chilli flakes or better yet the real mcoy and clove of crushed garlic.
Brown prawns for 2-3 mins

Then throw in 100 grams of black olives sliced (about the size you get at Subway)
Fresh Basil Leaves diced to about 1cm square chunks
250 grams Semi Dried Tomatoes
1 Diced Brown onion
Throw in another clove of crushed garlic and the other 1/2 teaspoon of chilli flakes

Now more tomatoes are required I usually use the little cherries I grow in the garden cut in half If you have nice juicy tomatoes of any size they will suffice. If you don't then I recommend a tin of diced tomatoes from the supermarket. Your after the juice to fill up the wok and infuse the dish

Cook for 5 mins and serve with rice

The Chilli is the key ingredient. Up it as much as you like but don't downgrade it if you don't like the stuff. The dish is meant to have some tang

I have tried this with other shit I like Mushrooms Carrots Snowpeas etc
Don't **** with something simple is my advice

That will serve 4-6 depending on how fat you ****s are

militiamon
24-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Courtesy of q:

http://cooksuck.com/

:popcorn:

belchardo
24-03-2015, 08:13 PM
If you have a dishwasher, run the jars through the hottest cycle you can without them breaking, obviously no detergent. Failing that, book the jars for ten minutes.

Mrs Grim also said that big w has a ball mason preserver starter kit with a heap of good stuff in it. They also stock top quality jars. Alternatively, spotlight has some as well.

Put everything in hot, put the lid on while still hot then let it cool and settle upside down. Helps seal the jar and keep longer.

my wife agreed, but she boils the jars and then puts them in a low temp oven (100-120C) until dry. keep warm in the oven and fill.

my tips: good quality apron, a funnel, and good heat resistant gloves. that stuff is f'ing hot, sugary and sticky (if it's a jam). you don't want it on you.

Jeterpool
25-03-2015, 05:58 AM
my wife agreed, but she boils the jars and then puts them in a low temp oven (100-120C) until dry. keep warm in the oven and fill.

my tips: good quality apron, a funnel, and good heat resistant gloves. that stuff is f'ing hot, sugary and sticky (if it's a jam). you don't want it on you.

Cheers gents

goaliepersempre
26-03-2015, 07:06 PM
Going on friday night to a cooking event with my cousin and a few friends for his birthday (this is switzerland for you, birthday last year in december) birthday gift friday.

Basically you go to a place heap of kitchen setups and get instructed in cooking a dish cook it all yourself and then eat. A little special etc..

Not sure if something that exist in aus, will report on what we cook and how it went :)

boz-monaut
26-03-2015, 09:21 PM
I cooked duck for the first time ever the other night - I normally order duck in restaurants cause it's something I could never get hold of

just a maryland in the oven with roast veg

not bad, but my gosh it stinks to **** when it's raw

nearly as bad as cooking kangaroo

Jeterpool
27-03-2015, 08:05 AM
I cooked duck for the first time ever the other night - I normally order duck in restaurants cause it's something I could never get hold of

just a maryland in the oven with roast veg

not bad, but my gosh it stinks to **** when it's raw

nearly as bad as cooking kangaroo

Really? Never would have guessed that. Good tip.

What will you change for next time?

I tried my chutney on Tuesday and Wednesday. Tasted alright but there was no chili zing. Needed the seeds left in and maybe an extra chili or two.

Bon
27-03-2015, 08:39 AM
Tasted alright but there was no chili zing. Needed the seeds left in and maybe an extra chili or two.

I'll give you some ghost chili's to put in for some extra "zing" if you would like, mate..

Jeterpool
27-03-2015, 08:52 AM
I'll give you some ghost chili's to put in for some extra "zing" if you would like, mate..

I think i'll be ok mate :) ha ha!

goaliepersempre
30-03-2015, 05:42 PM
Cooking session was the bomb.. so much fun in a in a group of 13 in 3 cooking stations...

(a little to much wine by the end of the night)

Jeterpool
06-06-2016, 12:45 PM
Bump for this thread.

The wife is interested in getting a Thermomix and we had a demonstration yesterday. I'm not convinced because for the money, I don't think we would get the use.

Who here has one (I assume Hawk's chef has at least 3) and how often do you use it? What do you make and have you found it value for money? Can it handle a capacity to feed your family? Has the novelty of it worn off?

boz-monaut
06-06-2016, 01:51 PM
have one, but it's not for me as I can cook

the missus uses it for risotto and will use it for baby food but really if you can cook it's a waste, if you can't, it might be handy

q-money
06-06-2016, 01:55 PM
hey boz, how much different is the risotto to something you can knock up yourself? it's all i've ever seen people cook in a thermomix

it looks like it takes away the best part of cooking a risotto, that is getting stuck into the cooking wine while stirring it

pv4
06-06-2016, 01:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yr_etbfZtQ

Jeterpool
06-06-2016, 02:01 PM
have one, but it's not for me as I can cook

the missus uses it for risotto and will use it for baby food but really if you can cook it's a waste, if you can't, it might be handy

Thanks Boz.

sammydog
06-06-2016, 02:18 PM
Bump for this thread.

The wife is interested in getting a Thermomix and we had a demonstration yesterday. I'm not convinced because for the money, I don't think we would get the use.

Who here has one (I assume Hawk's chef has at least 3) and how often do you use it? What do you make and have you found it value for money? Can it handle a capacity to feed your family? Has the novelty of it worn off?

We have one of the old TM31's. We use it to feed a family of four.

Ours gets used pretty much daily. Curries, Stroganoff, various parts of a lasagna, friday night soup night, pizza dough...... Wife makes dips and crap in it, but I'm not into that stuff.

I can cook without it, but I'm lazy and between work and the kids I'll cut corners where I can making dinner. Thermomix is good for that.

When the kids were babies we did use it to make baby food. We chop left over veggies up for the chickens in it.

Still cant cook a steak though and that alone should halve its asking price.

Jeterpool
06-06-2016, 02:27 PM
We have one of the old TM31's. We use it to feed a family of four.

Ours gets used pretty much daily. Curries, Stroganoff, various parts of a lasagna, friday night soup night, pizza dough...... Wife makes dips and crap in it, but I'm not into that stuff.

I can cook without it, but I'm lazy and between work and the kids I'll cut corners where I can making dinner. Thermomix is good for that.

When the kids were babies we did use it to make baby food. We chop left over veggies up for the chickens in it.

Still cant cook a steak though and that alone should halve its asking price.

Thanks Sammydog. Would you say you've found it value for money with the use you've had from it?

skippy
06-06-2016, 02:42 PM
Broke in my new spit roaster with a pork leg yesterday, pretty how much I will be spending every Sunday arvo from now on.

Watching meat spin over a fire, sitting on the deck drinking beer its fantastic.

boz-monaut
06-06-2016, 03:03 PM
the risotto is actually pretty good given it cuts the labour involved by about 90%

I still prefer to make it by hand but with the expensive blender I don't have to do anything

sammydog
06-06-2016, 03:13 PM
Thanks Sammydog. Would you say you've found it value for money with the use you've had from it?

I was deadset against getting it. Everything thrown up at the demos (yes we hosted a few before I gave in) was stuff we would never use it for. Sorbet, dips and other random stuff.

Value for money, Id say yes, but only because we use it and have used it regularly since about 2007. I know a lot of people with them, and for the majority of them they sit in a cupboard unused.

skippy
06-06-2016, 04:23 PM
I was deadset against getting it. Everything thrown up at the demos (yes we hosted a few before I gave in) was stuff we would never use it for. Sorbet, dips and other random stuff.

Value for money, Id say yes, but only because we use it and have used it regularly since about 2007. I know a lot of people with them, and for the majority of them they sit in a cupboard unused.

Think it depends how much other kitchen equipment you have, the missus wants to buy one when we buy our own joint cause neither of us have much cooking stuff so it makes sense in that way as we aren't replacing anything with it.

sammydog
06-06-2016, 04:54 PM
Think it depends how much other kitchen equipment you have, the missus wants to buy one when we buy our own joint cause neither of us have much cooking stuff so it makes sense in that way as we aren't replacing anything with it.

We did cull a lot of cooking stuff after getting it. Thing is, we never used the stuff we got rid of.

Our Thermomix lives on the kitchen bench, it never gets put away, so we did end up with a lot of cupboard space when other appliances went.

q-money
06-06-2016, 05:59 PM
seeing as we're all getting a bit of useful information about things in the kitchen, lets talk about knives.

knives are great. i currently have three i use most days on the go:

a miyabi kaizen 9.5 chef's knife
http://i.imgur.com/fDz9J7A.gif

a shun nakiri
https://shun.kaiusaltd.com/images/uploads/products/5879/dm0728_1.jpg

wusthof 7inch sandwich knife. dunno why they call it a sandwich knife, because i've never ever cut a sandwich with it. workhorse, ripping knife.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/UQ4AAOSwWnFWAcq0/s-l300.jpg

what's everyone's tool of choice?

hawk
06-06-2016, 06:25 PM
Bump for this thread.

yup.

Thermi's are great.

You'll out grow all that demo stuff in a week. try curries, eggs, deserts, vegies 7 ways, cakes, smoothies, stews, pastries, soups, scones, pizza dough for the homemade stuff, custard (vanilla slice is boss), multi cake slices, yogurt, pasta, rice dishes etc. big advantage is not having to stand over and watch. set and go. Used it every day for couple of yrs. Cant do beer/cider/wine which is a deal breaker for some

pv4
06-06-2016, 07:47 PM
seeing as we're all getting a bit of useful information about things in the kitchen, lets talk about knives.

a shun nakiri

wusthof 7inch sandwich knife. dunno why they call it a sandwich knife, because i've never ever cut a sandwich with it. workhorse, ripping knife.

I use any of the clean knives left in the knife block we got from kmart or something :rof:

boz-monaut
06-06-2016, 08:21 PM
slowly building up a collection of Wusthof Culinar knives - they are brilliant, I have five of various sizes, just waiting for an excuse to get the bread knife and a 20 centimetre cooks knife

http://cdn1.everten.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/1/2198_-_wusthof_trident_culinar_cooks_knife_26cm.14550727 54.jpg

got one of them dicky Furi knife sharpeners too, which works brilliantly

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/n-arxsrf/tthoo/products/5507/images/7370/furi_diamond_fingers_compact__82524.1430910950.128 0.1280.jpg?c=2

redwah
06-06-2016, 08:33 PM
Anyone do any meat smoking? I have a mate who's been doing for a few years and had just built a masdive trailer smoker (seriously impressive piece of gear). I've had a crack in the weber and am looking at getting a bullet type smoker.

redwah
06-06-2016, 08:44 PM

redwah
06-06-2016, 08:47 PM

boz-monaut
06-06-2016, 08:48 PM
yeah my brother bought me a smoker thing and some wood chips for my birthday last year, like this dealy

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzUwWDc1MA==/z/sFEAAOSw0QFXB6Yu/$_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

I've actually just been using the wood chips straight on the bbq grill, putting an oven cooling rack over the top, smoking them right up and then cooking ribs on it - works brilliantly

sammydog
06-06-2016, 10:04 PM

a shun nakiri

Who needs knives, Ive got a Thermomix.

skippy
07-06-2016, 09:01 AM
Anyone do any meat smoking? I have a mate who's been doing for a few years and had just built a masdive trailer smoker (seriously impressive piece of gear). I've had a crack in the weber and am looking at getting a bullet type smoker.

Yeah mate got a Pro Q for my birthday last August, gets used once a week at least can fit a fair amount of meat in there. Have yet to give brisket a shot but Harris farm have cape grimm semi regularly just don't want to **** up a $70 piece of meat.

I mean if you have a weber its all sort of the same in the end.

Want to upgrade to an offset but can't justify it at the moment.

skippy
07-06-2016, 09:04 AM

a shun nakiri

**** hows mr Moneybags over here, got a basic set of Globals they go alright for the $$ paid, got some wet stones at home to keep an edge on them which always helps although the missus has put them in the dishwasher which has bought on some rust spots, am looking at upgrading to a Wushtoff set at some stage.

Bon
07-06-2016, 09:11 AM
Not going to lie, all these pictures of decent cooking knives are making my giblets tingle..

I've been looking to upgrade my kitchen knives at home (I can't even think of what sort they are atm) however I have a degenerate housemate who makes it hard to have good sh!t..
I've always liked the Globals, would you recommend them skippy?? Those badboys look pretty hectic Q, any that you would highly recommend?

pv4
07-06-2016, 09:17 AM
Who needs knives, Ive got a Thermomix.

m8 you have to cut your onion in half with something!

q-money
07-06-2016, 10:57 AM
**** hows mr Moneybags over here
getting married helps, no way would i be shelling out for these weapons

The Dunster
07-06-2016, 12:21 PM
We have owned Zwilling J.A. Henckels knives / cutlery for over 40 years. Ridiculously expensive these days but if looked after will outlast any of us. Now days they also have a budget line which seem to be ok for a lot less cash. Would take them over Globals any day of the week.

skippy
07-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Not going to lie, all these pictures of decent cooking knives are making my giblets tingle..

I've been looking to upgrade my kitchen knives at home (I can't even think of what sort they are atm) however I have a degenerate housemate who makes it hard to have good sh!t..
I've always liked the Globals, would you recommend them skippy?? Those badboys look pretty hectic Q, any that you would highly recommend?

Yeah mate they are solid, as with everything treat them with care and they will last.

This here seems like good value and I would consider it if it was in the budget at the moment.

https://www.catchoftheday.com.au/event/colour-monochrome-53462/product/wusthof-trident-grand-prix-ii-knife-block-set-8-piece-46218/?st=2&sid=knife

redwah
07-06-2016, 01:11 PM
Yeah mate got a Pro Q for my birthday last August, gets used once a week at least can fit a fair amount of meat in there. Have yet to give brisket a shot but Harris farm have cape grimm semi regularly just don't want to **** up a $70 piece of meat.

I mean if you have a weber its all sort of the same in the end.

Want to upgrade to an offset but can't justify it at the moment.

Yeah looking at the Pro Q too. Went down to meatstock earlier in the year and some off the offsets are pretty good set ups. Even the pellet fed ones look user friendly.

I used the brisket from harris farm when i had a crack. Just cut it in half and did 2 cooks. Not ideal. If you can get a couple of mates to chip in for the beer $70 for the brisket and plenty of drinking hours works out at a fair trade to me.

q-money
08-06-2016, 02:51 PM

the shun is absolutely brilliant if you want to splash out on something - you'll end up using it pretty regularly. the flat blade and blunt tip make it perfect for julienning, dicing etc. you push with it, instead of rocking like you would with a curved blade. it's choice. the miyabi is a top knife, maybe just a bit too heavy but still gets a fair bit of use.

on a more reasonable price point though look at getting a couple of wusthofs. the japanese steel of the other two is a nightmare to sharpen properly (it cracks and chips if you don't look after it), but you can keep the wusthof's sharp and the edge in good nick with a benchtop sharpener like what boz posted before.

i send the japanese ones off to a bloke to get done twice a year because i can't do it properly :rof:

q-money
08-06-2016, 02:54 PM
oh yeah, bbq nerds - here's a question for you...weber q v ziegler & brown.

my old boy has a ziegler and brown and seems to go alright, what's the difference in the end? i googled it and there's a 50 page thread on the home of the weird dork, whirpool.com.au but i couldn't bring myself to read it

finally have a balcony in my apartment so looking for something i can fit on the end without taking up too much space

Jeterpool
08-06-2016, 03:07 PM
I have a Weber Q Family. We got it for our wedding almost 5 years ago and I use it 2-3 times per week. It's a change in cooking from a traditional BBQ and can take some time to work out the timing but I really enjoy it.

I've done roasts, regular cooking, breakfasts, veggies and pizzas. Accessories I have are the pizza stone, 3 sizes of trivet trays, the auto thermometer and I bought the cleaning brush too. I also bought the solid plate so doing eggs and the like.

The thing with the weber is cleaning down the grill every time you use it and the bowl every 4-6 months or so. Failing to do so will reduce the quality and taste. It takes about an hour to clean and do properly.

Unsure about Z&B. not used or seen them.

My advice if you go with a Weber - pay extra for the one with the temperature dial on the front. Roasting relies heavily on it so get it in-built.

leftrightout
08-06-2016, 03:34 PM
I have a Weber Q Family. We got it for our wedding almost 5 years ago and I use it 2-3 times per week. It's a change in cooking from a traditional BBQ and can take some time to work out the timing but I really enjoy it.

I've done roasts, regular cooking, breakfasts, veggies and pizzas. Accessories I have are the pizza stone, 3 sizes of trivet trays, the auto thermometer and I bought the cleaning brush too. I also bought the solid plate so doing eggs and the like.

The thing with the weber is cleaning down the grill every time you use it and the bowl every 4-6 months or so. Failing to do so will reduce the quality and taste. It takes about an hour to clean and do properly.

Unsure about Z&B. not used or seen them.

My advice if you go with a Weber - pay extra for the one with the temperature dial on the front. Roasting relies heavily on it so get it in-built.

Completely agree... my family Q is the best thing I've ever bought. I love cooking on it... everything from traditional bbq to roasts and pizzas. Ive even done stuff like fried rice and the mrs did a cake once which was good.

boz-monaut
08-06-2016, 03:38 PM
I've got a Webber Q, had it for about ten years using it 2-3 times a week

started every time, cooks evenly - class act all around

though I remember whenvyou house sat for me Q that you had trouble using it - the key is to turn the gas on at the bottle

GazFish35
08-06-2016, 03:39 PM
dunno about this Zeigler thing...they look weird

My family Q is the greatest thing I've ever owned. (including my hat with a peak in the shape of a jet)

get a babyQ or just the standard one and they are pretty portable for your hipster BBQ's in centennial park.

Weber if bought from a weber dealer (not Masters) come with pretty good warranties etc

plague
08-06-2016, 03:51 PM
I really enjoy cooking and Mrs Plague and I cook together pretty much every night and I'm far from an expert but love it but never ever got into the whole BBQ thing.
Never owned one.
Never wanted one.
Never enjoyed food cooked on one.

Was thinking it was because my tastes aren't suited to BBQ style food then Jeterpool mentioned cleaning them and then I remembered why I want no part of that shit.

I am lazy.

q-money
08-06-2016, 04:01 PM
I've got a Webber Q, had it for about ten years using it 2-3 times a week

started every time, cooks evenly - class act all around

though I remember whenvyou house sat for me Q that you had trouble using it - the key is to turn the gas on at the bottle

:rof:

skippy
08-06-2016, 04:26 PM

Mate look at getting a remote meat thermometer, I have a Maverick Et732, comes with 2 probes one for internal temp of meat and one for the pit temp which comes in handy when using charcoal.

Jeterpool
08-06-2016, 06:01 PM
Mate look at getting a remote meat thermometer, I have a Maverick Et732, comes with 2 probes one for internal temp of meat and one for the pit temp which comes in handy when using charcoal.

Weber doesn't need charcoal. Cooks like an oven I guess. Appreciate the suggestion though.

skippy
08-06-2016, 06:28 PM
Weber doesn't need charcoal. Cooks like an oven I guess. Appreciate the suggestion though.

Yeah I know, but the ones in the lid aren't that trustworthy due to their placement and not reading the temp where the meat is, good for internal temps to avoid overcooking but if whats working works that hardly worth paying the money for it.

Jeterpool
08-06-2016, 06:56 PM
Yeah I know, but the ones in the lid aren't that trustworthy due to their placement and not reading the temp where the meat is, good for internal temps to avoid overcooking but if whats working works that hardly worth paying the money for it.

That's a great point actually. I've always just relied on the meat probe. I've had not problems so far but if I start to, it's a point worth investigating.

q-money
08-06-2016, 07:03 PM
I've always just relied on the meat probe.
meat probe :rof:

Jeterpool
08-06-2016, 08:27 PM
meat probe :rof:

furns
08-06-2016, 10:57 PM
Phrasing

pv4
09-06-2016, 11:21 AM
Phrasing

Danger zone..

GazFish35
28-06-2016, 08:30 PM
Firepit season.
Been doing a few camp oven meals lately.

Bought a paella pan this week -anyone got any tips and/or recipes.

skippy
29-06-2016, 08:38 AM
Anyone know where to get a suckling pig to chuck on a spit?

Jeterpool
29-06-2016, 08:55 AM

I'd go straight to a Butcher. It would be a special order you'd have to get a quote on first.

Bon
29-06-2016, 08:57 AM

I was driving through Greta the other day and noticed the butcher there had advertising out the front for entire spit animals..
But yeah, any butcher should be able to order in, as Jeterpool said..

Jeterpool
29-06-2016, 09:01 AM
I was driving through Greta the other day and noticed the butcher there had advertising out the front for entire spit animals..
But yeah, any butcher should be able to order in, as Jeterpool said..

Have you tried the baked potatoes at that butcher?? Not sure if they still do them...but wow!! They were great.

Bon
29-06-2016, 09:07 AM
Have you tried the baked potatoes at that butcher?? Not sure if they still do them...but wow!! They were great.

Nah, I haven't?? What was so special?
I only noticed the sign cause I had heard they sell a pretty decent jerky there and was trying to scope it out on the way past..

Jeterpool
29-06-2016, 09:17 AM
Nah, I haven't?? What was so special?
I only noticed the sign cause I had heard they sell a pretty decent jerky there and was trying to scope it out on the way past..

1 - They were reasonably priced.
2 - They were huge
3 - They had a great variety of toppings. They tasted pretty good too.

You don't expect a butcher to be selling baked potatoes, but they were. It was a good 12 months ago so I'm not sure if they are still doing it.

skippy
14-07-2016, 08:33 AM
Missus bought a thermomix the other week arrived yesterday, am fairly impressed with it so far.

skippy
07-08-2016, 10:57 PM
Picked up an 18cm santoku knife from Aldi the other day, solid bit of gear for $12

Jeterpool
08-08-2016, 08:49 AM
Missus bought a thermomix the other week arrived yesterday, am fairly impressed with it so far.

A month on how are you finding the thermomix?

skippy
08-08-2016, 09:22 AM
A month on how are you finding the thermomix?

It's a good bit of gear, and the missus has been using it heaps to justify the purchase which works out well for me. There is a major design floor in them that if you don't have the blades in properly and you put liquid in you can drown it pretty easily.

I was talking to a couple of chefs about them and they love them, the motor on them is insane.

If we already had heaps of kitchen equipment I don't know if it would be worth the money but we weren't replacing anything with it. The amount of recipes and what it can do is great and I imagine with kids it would make your life easier. Overall 7.5/10

pv4
08-08-2016, 09:57 AM
There is a major design floor in them that if you don't have the blades in properly and you put liquid in you can drown it pretty easily.

I didn't even know it functioned without everything set in place correctly. At least, I know it doesn't without the lid on.

Wtf are you guys doing to put the blades in incorrectly :rof: are you not securing that grey base bit properly or something?

My Mum has one which we use a bit. It's cool and all, but I find it a genuine pain to clean all the time. I also find it's self-cleaning spin cycle type deal to not work at all in actually cleaning it.

Apart from the chocolate custard, I don't think there's a recipe on the machine that we stick to by the book because we find the by the book recipes to be pretty bland. But the ability & freedom to add your own spin to it is good.

skippy
08-08-2016, 02:52 PM
I didn't even know it functioned without everything set in place correctly. At least, I know it doesn't without the lid on.

Wtf are you guys doing to put the blades in incorrectly :rof: are you not securing that grey base bit properly or something?

My Mum has one which we use a bit. It's cool and all, but I find it a genuine pain to clean all the time. I also find it's self-cleaning spin cycle type deal to not work at all in actually cleaning it.

Apart from the chocolate custard, I don't think there's a recipe on the machine that we stick to by the book because we find the by the book recipes to be pretty bland. But the ability & freedom to add your own spin to it is good.

The missus went to make pizza dough and just poured water into the Bowl so it flooded it, dried it out for 48 hours and is working fine.

skippy
15-08-2016, 12:36 PM
Smashed out some beef ribs in the smoker on Saturday, 1st attempt and they were outstanding.

Got them off the butcher at Elermore Vale, he now stocks, beef short ribs, pork ribs with decent meat on them and beef cheeks. He is also sourcing briskets as well good to see someone getting the cuts of meat people are after.

skippy
06-01-2017, 05:46 PM
Alright hows everyones summer bbqs and shit going?

Have picked up a weber kettle $15 a weber spirit $60 gumtree specials to round out my set for the moment, the spirit might get an upgrade to a Q at some stage.

Got a gasser for after work cooks when I can't be bothered lighitng up coals. Anyone got anything special they like to cook other than snags and minute steaks?

A favourite of mine at the moment is corn straight over the flame, or mix up a herb/spiced butter of some description slather the corn wrap and foil and on the bbq.

furns
06-01-2017, 06:30 PM
Was considering investing in a smoker, havent really looked into it yet.
I have however decided that a dry rub on anything beef I BBQ is the way to go though haha
Simple recipe of onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, sea salt, pepper, smoked paprika, cumin and oregano. Sprinkle a coating on the steaks, press into the meat and leave for an hour before bbq'ing over the flame.
:thumbsup:

skippy
06-01-2017, 07:17 PM
Was considering investing in a smoker, havent really looked into it yet.
I have however decided that a dry rub on anything beef I BBQ is the way to go though haha
Simple recipe of onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, sea salt, pepper, smoked paprika, cumin and oregano. Sprinkle a coating on the steaks, press into the meat and leave for an hour before bbq'ing over the flame.
:thumbsup:

For a cheapie have a look at the fornetto bullet smokers @ Bunnings. I have a pro q and doesn't get as much use as it used to but still love it.

If you want to treat yourself for a beef rub check out hardcore carnivore rub made by my other missus Jess Pryles, I haven't tried it myself but will be ordering some at some stage.

skippy
30-06-2017, 09:24 AM
Am attempting my first full brisket on Saturday in the smoker am nervous and excited.

Bon
30-06-2017, 09:50 AM
Am attempting my first full brisket on Saturday in the smoker am nervous and excited.

Nice man.. Are you using any sort of rub on the brisket??
My brother-in-law brought his smoker up for our last family bash, it was absolutely brilliant..

Jeterpool
30-06-2017, 09:52 AM

What time is dinner?

q-money
30-06-2017, 10:32 AM
koth party at skips

skippy
30-06-2017, 10:32 AM
Nice man.. Are you using any sort of rub on the brisket??
My brother-in-law brought his smoker up for our last family bash, it was absolutely brilliant..

Going Aaron Franklin the king of brisket style, just with salt and pepper I think.

We are doing a bit of a meatfest, will have pulled pork, buffalo wings, proscuitto wrapped brie, some sausages etc

Have since convinced 4 people to purchase smokers since owning mine.

q-money
30-06-2017, 11:56 AM
buying one of these for my father in law who enjoys burning shit, they're bloody tremendous

https://www.chefsarmoury.com/collections/japanese-bbq-grills/products/medium-konro-portable-barbeque

last new years eve instead of hitting some shitty party me and the mrs stumped up some bank and did the degustation at momofuku seiobo at the Star in the afternoon, old mate Paul Carmichael did marron, and a kingfish head over the coals, bucket list stuff. the bloke is a genius.

the restaurant is nuts, just a couple of barbecues and three induction tops

it's defo worth the cash, the matching booze is off the chain

the japanese binchotan charcoal is deadset amazing, you'll never use any other crap again

skippy
30-06-2017, 12:04 PM
buying one of these for my father in law who enjoys burning shit, they're bloody tremendous

https://www.chefsarmoury.com/collections/japanese-bbq-grills/products/medium-konro-portable-barbeque

last new years eve instead of hitting some shitty party me and the mrs stumped up some bank and did the degustation at momofuku seiobo at the Star in the afternoon, old mate Paul Carmichael did marron, and a kingfish head over the coals, bucket list stuff. the bloke is a genius.

the japanese binchotan charcoal is deadset amazing, you'll never use any other crap again

**** just what I need another bbq on my list, sort of got permission from the Missus for an offset smoker in the future might be pushing the boundaries adding a 6th bbq to my collection.

Jeez thats some expensive charcoal though.

skippy
30-06-2017, 12:05 PM
koth party at skips

If I have a new gaffe by the time it rolls around it could be on.

The Dunster
30-06-2017, 12:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yr_etbfZtQ

plague
30-06-2017, 12:21 PM

This has to be the whitest thing ever posted on the foz ever right?

The Dunster
30-06-2017, 12:30 PM
Got a 4 piece made in Italy Estelle Per Sempre Cookware set delivered today - regular price is $670 I paid $299 with free delivery. It's good to know we can still buy top quality last a lifetime type gear for **** all money.

https://www.cookwarebrands.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/650x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/3/0/306940.png

The Dunster
30-06-2017, 12:38 PM

http://picproxy.topixcdn.com/gallery/up-59P1K8U13HOB9R11.jpg

Thought I'd restore some balance to the thread.

q-money
30-06-2017, 02:01 PM

you should go before #whitegenocide kicks in, professor moneybags

Grimario
30-06-2017, 02:04 PM
Someone recommend me a decent knife/set of knives. I've had it with the cheapie Big-W stuff my brother bought.

Also doing a big batch of tom kha gai in the slow cooker this weekend.

The Dunster
30-06-2017, 03:17 PM
Someone recommend me a decent knife/set of knives. I've had it with the cheapie Big-W stuff my brother bought.

Also doing a big batch of tom kha gai in the slow cooker this weekend.

Solingen Germany is known as the city of blades. Depending on what you want to spend brands to look at would be DOVO Solingen, Wüsthof, J. A. Henckels, Böker, Eickhorn-Solingen. My parents have had a set of JA Henckles for around 50 years which are still going even after 40 years of use through a dishwasher [which I wouldn't recommend].

These will last you a lifetime and are very easy on the wallet when you get them on sale. Usually $900 but EOFY on sale for $300 http://www.victoriasbasement.com.au/Product/Details/91603?category=KNSETS/zwilling-j-a-henckels-pure-8-piece-knife-block-set-made-in-germany

http://www.victoriasbasement.com.au/Images/VB_WEB_LIVE/2_91603_400_400.jpg

http://www.victoriasbasement.com.au/Images/VB_WEB_LIVE/1_91603_400_400.jpg

q-money
30-06-2017, 03:41 PM
i have a zwilling miyabi kaizen, insanely good knives, dunster is bang on

plague
30-06-2017, 04:17 PM
adding a 6th bbq to my collection.

I just stumbled in here because I assumed this was a meth cooking thread or something but gosh dang I'm learning a lot.

I've never owned a BBQ in my life and have absolutely no idea what people enjoy about them but if a mans gonna have 6 of them then there's obviously something appealing.

plague
30-06-2017, 04:20 PM
you should go before #whitegenocide kicks in, professor moneybags

Oh don't worry I'm here to look for knives to buy so when I'm at dinner and I ask someone how their food is and they begin their response with "what I like about the dish is........." then I can jump across the table and stab them in the face.

Actually I'd prefer to do my stabbing with something rusty and dull but I'm open to feedback.

q-money
30-06-2017, 04:21 PM

skippy
30-06-2017, 06:08 PM
I just stumbled in here because I assumed this was a meth cooking thread or something but gosh dang I'm learning a lot.

I've never owned a BBQ in my life and have absolutely no idea what people enjoy about them but if a mans gonna have 6 of them then there's obviously something appealing.

Hahaha look up American bbq, I only have one gas bbq for quick cooks and emergencies. It's all about cooking with wood/charcoal.

pv4
02-07-2017, 08:58 PM
Skipp how did the brisket go pal

skippy
03-07-2017, 09:38 AM
Skipp how did the brisket go pal

Yeah pretty happy with it, could have done with another hour or so but was about 9pm and was still cooking it had been on since 7. Flavour wise I think I prefer Beef Short Ribs though. Did get some pics and a video will post them up later.

Also cooked a 4kg pork shoulder, 2 kgs of pork belly burnt ends, kilo of wings, kilo of chilli cheese sausages, prosciutto wrapped Brie and pineapple with cinnamon and brown sugar on the spit.

http://imgur.com/a/uUbNs

Bon
03-08-2017, 09:25 AM
Finally got off my ass and purchased a new set of kitchen knives..
Global Zeitaku.. Normally $960, going on special for $330.. Free delivery too.

http://images.kitchenwaredirect.com.au/750PX/Global-Zeitaku-7pc-Knife-Block-Set_2_750px.jpg

http://www.kitchenwarehouse.com.au/Global-Zeitaku-7pc-Knife-Block-Set

MFKS
03-08-2017, 09:52 AM

http://images.kitchenwaredirect.com.au/750PX/Global-Zeitaku-7pc-Knife-Block-Set_2_750px.jpg

They stab better or something ??

$330

They want to be special

skippy
03-08-2017, 10:27 AM

Globals are decent but being Japanese steel they use a harder metal which is more prone to chipping and breaking but keep an edge better, do your best not to drop them, don't use glass chopping boards, don't put them in your dishwasher and I would look at getting a sharpening stone and a good honing steel and watch some youtube videos and learn how to use them.

At the very least there is a global ceramic water sharpener http://www.kitchenwarehouse.com.au/Global-Water-Sharpener-Ceramic which will do a good job if used regularly.

Bon
03-08-2017, 10:40 AM
Globals are decent but being Japanese steel they use a harder metal which is more prone to chipping and breaking but keep an edge better, do your best not to drop them, don't use glass chopping boards, don't put them in your dishwasher and I would look at getting a sharpening stone and a good honing steel and watch some youtube videos and learn how to use them.

At the very least there is a global ceramic water sharpener http://www.kitchenwarehouse.com.au/Global-Water-Sharpener-Ceramic which will do a good job if used regularly.

Awesome!!!
Thanks mate, yeah I'm usually in the kitchen bare-footed so don't aim to drop even my shittiest of knives.. haha
Don't have glass chopping board, and I'll be making sure they don't go in the dishwasher, she wouldn't be a fan of that.. :gent:

I'll get my hat on the way out..

30-11-2017, 12:29 AM
the risotto is actually pretty good given it cuts the labour involved by about 90%

furns
20-04-2019, 04:47 PM

any other lovers of low n slow? :)

skippy
26-04-2019, 07:23 PM
Yeah big time, got to compete in a comp with the boys from smokin hot n saucy and will be attending a few more with a bloke from work.

furns
04-05-2019, 02:03 PM
nice one
Was planning on going to Meatstock - didnt realise that it would sell out so quickly.
Interesting to note that Smoke in Broke is back again this year after their inaugural event last year descended into a fiasco. Hopefully this time around they will be much better prepared.

skippy
12-05-2019, 12:42 PM
nice one
Was planning on going to Meatstock - didnt realise that it would sell out so quickly.
Interesting to note that Smoke in Broke is back again this year after their inaugural event last year descended into a fiasco. Hopefully this time around they will be much better prepared.

They are after judges for the comp if you are interested

Jetmaster
12-05-2019, 06:29 PM
This subject would make an excellent, alternate podcast in the off season.
Much like when Santo, Sam and Ed did one on cockfighting.

skippy
19-05-2019, 01:44 PM
This subject would make an excellent, alternate podcast in the off season.
Much like when Santo, Sam and Ed did one on cockfighting.

I can talk meat all day

Couscous
13-11-2019, 01:01 PM
Well done, Newcastle. The world's first drive-through-only KFC:

https://nnimgt-a.akamaihd.net/transform/v1/crop/frm/max.mckinney/0e3f8652-6233-4bc8-b467-9adc176c89d2.jpg/r0_0_4990_3267_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

plague
13-11-2019, 01:38 PM
Well done, Newcastle. The world's first drive-through-only KFC:

https://nnimgt-a.akamaihd.net/transform/v1/crop/frm/max.mckinney/0e3f8652-6233-4bc8-b467-9adc176c89d2.jpg/r0_0_4990_3267_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Anyone intrigued why they went back to Kentucky Fried Chicken?

Was always told they went to KFC back in the day because of the bad associations the word 'fried' invoked.

Bon
13-11-2019, 01:46 PM
Anyone intrigued why they went back to Kentucky Fried Chicken?

Was always told they went to KFC back in the day because of the bad associations the word 'fried' invoked.

There was a thing on The Gruen Transfer about it the other day...
I'm pretty sure the shorting to KFC was to do with the "fried" part, I just can't remember what the entire scope for the reasoning was..