PDA

View Full Version : Internship opportunity.....

GazFish35
09-05-2015, 10:05 PM
Internship Opportunities: Membership Department

Thursday, 7 May 2015 -
@NewcastleJetsFC

Newcastle Jets are inviting football fans in tertiary education to gain some valuable experience in the Sports Industry.

We are seeking 4-5 people to come in 1-2 days per week to work in our Membership Department commencing Monday 1 June 2015. This is a fully immersive position - you will learn all aspects of the department including:
Receiving and processing applications
Understanding the Membership, stadium and seating policies
Full instruction on the Membership software
Customer Service
Game Day activations

Past interns have received casual employment hours and we have also offered entry-level positions within the club to past interns.

Reporting to:
Stacey Woollams – Membership Executive – stacey@newcastlejets.com.au
Brooke Cousins – Consumer Operations and Marketing Manager – brooke@newcastlejets.com.au

Skills Required:
Excellent Computer Skills
Great Social skills, phone and in person
Positive and friendly attitude
Knowledge of football
Previous experience with a CMS system a bonus but not a pre-requisite

Traits:
Extremely high attention to detail
Desire to help people
Willing to learn
Aged 18+

Hours required:
Minimum 200 contact hours
One weekday per week, 9am to 5pm
Game days as required. May be midweek in evenings for pre-season (July-September) and weekends throughout the Hyundai A-League season (October-April)

Interns must be undertaking a course relevant to the position (e.g. Sports Management, Business Management). Interns are occasionally asked to assist in other departments, but we cannot guarantee this.

If you feel you fit the criteria and would like to apply for a position, please contact Brooke Cousins by email: brooke@newcastlejets.com.au and send a copy of your CV, details for your course and its workplace experience requirements and your likely availability from June 1 2015 until Christmas 2015. Applications close Wednesday 20 May 2015.

Read more at http://www.newcastlejets.com.au/article/internship-opportunities-membership-department/yuaek3vnt55p1b6bwaubypewd

All jokes aside about not getting paid, and therefore being just like the playing staff.

Anyone keen?
Personally I think it's good that the club is trying to get these things happening.

Premy
09-05-2015, 10:27 PM
This isn't a new initiative, I know someone who has done this in the past.
Still I agree things like this should be involved in all aspects of the Club.

Thomas477
09-05-2015, 11:46 PM
So this to me says we need grunts to do all the menial shit and aren't willing to pay people to do it, so let's just call it an internship!

GazFish35
10-05-2015, 12:30 AM
Point the finger at the bill payer, not the staff. IMO.

Other clubs do this, other businesses do this.

I think given the past 6-10 years it's easy to be skeptical, but how else is the grunt work going to get done if Tinkler won't invest in back room and office staff.

Thomas477
10-05-2015, 09:05 AM
Point the finger at the bill payer, not the staff. IMO.

Other clubs do this, other businesses do this.

I think given the past 6-10 years it's easy to be skeptical, but how else is the grunt work going to get done if Tinkler won't invest in back room and office staff.

Wasn't pointing the finger at the staff, just the fat muppet. And I'm sure they do. And I think it's a great idea, suppose I'm just a bit sceptical of any decision this management makes.

hawk
10-05-2015, 11:05 AM
wouldn't say the club has created anything special but is but a decent opportunity

The experience could get you into a similar paid gig somewhere else if you can handle the politics

person in the position must report all stories to fans

Jetmaster
10-05-2015, 11:21 AM
It's valuable work experience and it is meant to complement relevant studies in sports or business management. So not for everyone.

Club kudos....for once.

The Dunster
10-05-2015, 12:15 PM
Working for Tinkler is something people should be deleting from their CV's rather than adding to it.
Lots of evidence on labour market dualism [insider / outsider] suggests that once you go down this road it is very difficult to advance elsewhere as you will always be associated with the 2nd tier / informal segment of the market.
Advancement within these types of organisations is non-existent, pay rates are well below market rates, and conditions are well below minimum conditions outlined under state and federal awards.
Anyone that genuinely did have a crack at a career within the formal / insider segment of the market would not have to apply for this shit in the first place.
Run a ****ing mile kids - you would be better off working at Maccas.

MFKS
10-05-2015, 12:32 PM
All jokes aside about not getting paid, and therefore being just like the playing staff.

Anyone keen?
Personally I think it's good that the club is trying to get these things happening.
Leaving the jokes about not getting paid aside to me is wrong as it is totally relevant to this.

We are talking about an organisation that is understaffed and under resourced due to the owner being a tight arse incompetent with **** all idea of what to do.

There are a thousand things they should be doing to fix staffing issues in the club and pulling in unpaid staff is a ****ing disgrace when they should actually be paying for more staff in the first place and addressing what really is a big issue effecting the club. No they wish to put a bandaid on it by getting temporary unpaid staff in to pick up the slack.

Add in the fact the owner has repeatedly shown a history failing to treat his staff well by actually paying them on time and correctly in a variety of businesses he operates then call me cynical all you like but it appears to me that there is exploitation going on with someone being given an job just to put some experience on a resume and get a referee or two instead of actually being paid for it.

You may say it is a noble gesture helping someone out but I will say look at who is offering it and then ask the question as to why they are doing it and every time I look at all I see is

#SLAVELABOUR

No different in my eyes to someone employing 200 foreigners on cheap wages and a 401 Visa to do a job that Australians could be doing and getting paid more than the Foreigners are. Both are just methods of exploitation of staff to get work done and save owner a buck

As for the community/ moral values etc this internship you may say shows that. I say completely the opposite.

Exploitation of vulnerable people (Poor Uni Students eating 3 for $1 noodles most nights) is not something I want my football club to be involved in and goes completely against what I feel are my values my towns values and what my football clubs values should be

The Dunster
10-05-2015, 12:39 PM
Leaving the jokes about not getting paid aside to me is wrong as it is totally relevant to this.

We are talking about an organisation that is understaffed and under resourced due to the owner being a tight arse incompetent with **** all idea of what to do.

There are a thousand things they should be doing to fix staffing issues in the club and pulling in unpaid staff is a ****ing disgrace when they should actually be paying for more staff in the first place and addressing what really is a big issue effecting the club. No they wish to put a bandaid on it by getting temporary unpaid staff in to pick up the slack.

Add in the fact the owner has repeatedly shown a history failing to treat his staff well by actually paying them on time and correctly in a variety of businesses he operates then call me cynical all you like but it appears to me that there is exploitation going on with someone being given an job just to put some experience on a resume and get a referee or two instead of actually being paid for it.

You may say it is a noble gesture helping someone out but I will say look at who is offering it and then ask the question as to why they are doing it and every time I look at all I see is

#SLAVELABOUR

No different in my eyes to someone employing 200 foreigners on cheap wages and a 401 Visa to do a job that Australians could be doing and getting paid more than the Foreigners are. Both are just methods of exploitation of staff to get work done and save owner a buck

As for the community/ moral values etc this internship you may say shows that. I say completely the opposite.

Exploitation of vulnerable people (Poor Uni Students eating 3 for $1 noodles most nights) is not something I want my football club to be involved in and goes completely against what I feel are my values my towns values and what my football clubs values should be

Great Post Member. 100% agree with this.

10-05-2015, 12:43 PM
^ This

Premy
10-05-2015, 01:32 PM

#SLAVELABOUR

Pfft drawing a long bow there.

My local football club runs of the help from many volunteers who put in time and effort off there own accord.
Football Clubs all around the world run off the help from volunteers, we would be stupid not to as well.

MFKS
10-05-2015, 02:00 PM

My local football club runs of the help from many volunteers who put in time and effort off there own accord.
Football Clubs all around the world run off the help from volunteers, we would be stupid not to as well.

Long Bow??

The structure of our football club is not based around community ownership but on private rich man ownership. Rich Man either needs to run club correctly with adequate staffing or **** off.

We ain't talking about some suburban club where the players pay to play and the committee are mums and dads putting the hard yards in with countless unpaid hours to do menial jobs just so the club operates.

We are talking about an allegedly professional (Used loosely) football club who turn over millions of dollars of year in operation.

When they are running the club properly and it is flying then appoint interns to give people experience. When you are short staffed don't employ interns to do a job that a paid employee should be doing cause the owner is too tight to pay money and put adequate level of investment into the running of the club.

Better yet any interns should not be asked to apply by the club under any circumstance.
The intern should be approaching the club asking for an internship themselves. Whole self initiative better oneself by getting off your arse etc should be in effect

Thomas477
10-05-2015, 05:06 PM

Tbf Premy, is your local football club professional or amateur. This is a professional club we're talking about and we need to be aiming for the best, from the kit man to the CEO, both on field and back room staff. Still good to see the club doing it though.

snake
10-05-2015, 07:40 PM
if the club were doing it to try and connect with the community, or to provide a start for passionate fans to become future employees, then great

however, we all know they're doing it because they're skint and under-staffed, so they can foad

GazFish35
10-05-2015, 10:48 PM
I've no doubt it's a cost saving exercise too.
What are the alternatives for the staff on the ground?

There's less admin staff running our club than any other in the league, and the owner in Singapore wont invest in anything that won't get a headline.

They've got a hell of a job on their hands to turn this ship around and they need more hands, what are the alternatives?

Tinkler needs to invest in off field staff, no shit. But that won't happen.

Jeterpool
11-05-2015, 06:46 AM
I've no doubt it's a cost saving exercise too.
What are the alternatives for the staff on the ground?

There's less admin staff running our club than any other in the league, and the owner in Singapore wont invest in anything that won't get a headline.

They've got a hell of a job on their hands to turn this ship around and they need more hands, what are the alternatives?

Tinkler needs to invest in off field staff, no shit. But that won't happen.

I agree.

BodyNovo
11-05-2015, 09:09 AM
if the club were doing it to try and connect with the community, or to provide a start for passionate fans to become future employees, then great

however, we all know they're doing it because they're skint and under-staffed, so they can foad

pretty much how i see it.

plague
11-05-2015, 12:03 PM
They do need to be careful of how they word thier 'internship' documents though.
No such thing as unpaid trial periods for work in Oz these days (and rightly so).

Of course this is just a way to get free labour and its ****ing disgraceful. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Oh and Dunsters comment about being 'better off working at Maccas' is actually spot on. In my former life when we hired young people we always favoured kids who worked at Maccas because they had good training/structure and it showed they weren't 'above' working there. Kids generally had a humility and understanding of what was required in the workforce.

Nou Camp
11-05-2015, 12:13 PM
we are saving extra pennies for that big marquee...

MFKS
11-05-2015, 12:14 PM
They do need to be careful of how they word thier 'internship' documents though.
No such thing as unpaid trial periods for work in Oz these days (and rightly so).

Of course this is just a way to get free labour and its ****ing disgraceful. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Oh and Dunsters comment about being 'better off working at Maccas' is actually spot on. In my former life when we hired young people we always favoured kids who worked at Maccas because they had good training/structure and it showed they weren't 'above' working there. Kids generally had a humility and understanding of what was required in the workforce.

I would go down the opposite view on kids at Maccas.

They are used to following a set process and are alright in positions where they have to follow instructions and there is no deviation ever.
Problem is when something out of the ordinary occurs they don't have the IQ or skill set to problem solve and make things up as they go as process is all they know.

plague
11-05-2015, 12:20 PM
I would go down the opposite view on kids at Maccas.

They are used to following a set process and are alright in positions where they have to follow instructions and there is no deviation ever.
Problem is when something out of the ordinary occurs they don't have the IQ or skill set to problem solve and make things up as they go as process is all they know.

Yes but when you are employing 16-21 yr olds to 'do' and not 'think' they are exactly what you need.
There were plenty of higher ups around them to deal with the big issues.
Some companies have what's called 'structure', you have been scarred by your Jets experience.

Plus little things like turning up on time (or even at all), understanding hierarchy, dealing with being bossed around are highly sought after amongst that demographic.

Hey but what would I know I only employed a few hundred of them. I'm sure that time they gave you sweet n sour instead of BBQ qualifies you to have an educated opinion on this.

MFKS
11-05-2015, 05:02 PM
Yes but when you are employing 16-21 yr olds to 'do' and not 'think' they are exactly what you need.
There were plenty of higher ups around them to deal with the big issues.
Some companies have what's called 'structure', you have been scarred by your Jets experience.

Plus little things like turning up on time (or even at all), understanding hierarchy, dealing with being bossed around are highly sought after amongst that demographic.

Hey but what would I know I only employed a few hundred of them. I'm sure that time they gave you sweet n sour instead of BBQ qualifies you to have an educated opinion on this.

Different perspective Plague.

I work in an industry where you have to make decisions and no ****ing guide book will help you. These decisions also need to be made hastily at times and you don't have the ability to consult hierarchy

We still have a hierarchy but each employee has to work independently. Consulting can be done after the fact but the employee is on the ground making the decision and not the bosses supervisor every time.

Cheifs guide the bigger picture. Day to day decisions made by the indians

q-money
11-05-2015, 05:06 PM
you two should team up, the wozniak and jobs of newcastlefootball

plague
11-05-2015, 08:23 PM
you two should team up, the wozniak and jobs of newcastlefootball

I dunno, I don't think I've trained hard enough to join Members SEAL Team 6 unit.

WolfMan
12-05-2015, 07:14 AM
I dunno, I don't think I've trained hard enough to join Members SEAL Team 6 unit.

You don't know how close you really are....

plague
12-05-2015, 11:15 AM
You don't know how close you really are....

Quite the opposite.
I've always been of the belief that The Member pulled the trigger on Bin Laden.

MFKS
12-05-2015, 12:05 PM
Quite the opposite.
I've always been of the belief that The Member pulled the trigger on Bin Laden.

Your that far off the mark

You think if I had that skill set Middleby would have lasted as long??
Kale would have been fast tracked into the team under threat of my skills being deployed

Then lets not get started on Muppet and Fat Man cause their time would have been up long ago
:rof:

q-money
12-05-2015, 12:25 PM
What the **** did you just ****ing say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the **** out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my ****ing words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, ****er. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re ****ing dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your ****ing tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re ****ing dead, kiddo.

plague
12-05-2015, 12:33 PM
What the **** did you just ****ing say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the **** out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my ****ing words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, ****er. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re ****ing dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your ****ing tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re ****ing dead, kiddo.

Nah, you're still the geeky asian kid from Indiana Jones.

Grimario
12-05-2015, 12:44 PM
Nah, you're still the geeky asian kid from Indiana Jones.

Haha, funny funny, all wet

MFKS
12-05-2015, 12:58 PM
:rof:
If that wasn't so long would add it to the bottom of my posts