PDA

View Full Version : 2012 NNSW State Cup

namwob99
14-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Any results from today's quarters?

namwob99
14-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Barnsley won and are into the semis against coffs city utd, magic play Charlestown in the other.

Hamma12
15-07-2012, 11:13 AM
The Barnsley Bulldogs are a step closer to completing an amazing cinderella story after winning their State Cup quarter-final today..
The Bulldogs, an amateur outfit who play in the fourth tier of Newcastle football, accounted for Oxley Vale Attunga in Coffs Harbour to progess to the semifinal of the State Cup.

They will meet Coffs City tomorrow, vying for a place in the final of the 64-team $10,000 Northern NSW State League.

Heavyweights Broadmeadow Magic and Charlestown City meet in the other semi.

Broadmeadow accounted for Goonellabah 4-2 and Charlestown thrashed Lismore Workers 7-1.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/football-soccer/barnsley-bulldogs-into-final-four-in-state-knockout/2624189.aspx

boz-monaut
15-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Barnsley have had a dream draw for this competition - drawn against Z2 and Z3 in the first four rounds then some little team from outside Tamworth

I hope they go on to win this thing actually, they seem to be about the only club taking it seriously

Skirt Boy
15-07-2012, 11:20 AM
I lost a grand final to Barnsley back in the day at Marks Oval in U-10's...........I'm rooting for coffs.

GO AWAY
15-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Couldnt be bothered looking for a state cup thread, so il put it here

Magic 2-1 over Azzuri
Coffs were leading barnsley 2-0 in other semi

uuummmmm why were magic and azzuri in the semi final, and not pitted against each other in the final, cant see a magic v coffs grand final, having the same excitement as a magic v azzuri

suppose being in coffs NNSW have got their wish of a coffs team in the final

Bremsstrahlung
15-07-2012, 01:02 PM
The whole format of the competition this year was designed to accommodate the lower division teams. E.g. previously for some clubs it was an expensive trial game against Broadmeadow Magic U/23s. So they changed it, so NBN/NEWFM played each other, and all the zone leagues played one another so the teams were more evenly matched and felt they had a greater chance of success.

Not sure how the quarter finals/semis were organised this year, whether it was random and merely luck that barsnley was on the New lambton side of the draw and not against magic/azzurri. (I think they drew the games out of a hat at the Magic V Jets game...)

boz-monaut
15-07-2012, 01:32 PM
the draw for the entire competition has raised a lot of eyebrows that's for sure

if it's the same format next season I can't see as many clubs playing their first teams

Bremsstrahlung
15-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Coffs City United and Broadmeadow Magic to meet in the NNSWF State Cup Final this afternoon at 2:30pm.

Semi Final Results:
Coffs City United FC 4 (Will Bailey, Sam Mackay, Scott Goddard, Nick Lambert) def. Barnsley Senior SC

Charlestown City Blues FC 1 (Scott Smith) def. by Broadmeadow Magic FC 3 (Scott Pettit 2, Chris Berlin)

GazFish35
15-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Could they not do it like the fa cup, and draw it from a hat, totally at random after every round.... Except for maybe geographical conferences early on.... Removes implants about teams being favored.

Retro Jet
15-07-2012, 03:03 PM
The whole format of the competition this year was designed to accommodate the lower division teams. E.g. previously for some clubs it was an expensive trial game against Broadmeadow Magic U/23s. So they changed it, so NBN/NEWFM played each other, and all the zone leagues played one another so the teams were more evenly matched and felt they had a greater chance of success.

Not sure how the quarter finals/semis were organised this year, whether it was random and merely luck that barsnley was on the New lambton side of the draw and not against magic/azzurri. (I think they drew the games out of a hat at the Magic V Jets game...)

There's a Utoob clip I saw that someone posted with the draw; Jobe Outhouse pulling the team pairings from a bag at said game.
I think it was David Eland holding the bag.

Hamma12
15-07-2012, 03:06 PM
come on Coffs.....

Hamma12
15-07-2012, 04:40 PM
4-0 magic

3rd state league team too win competiton in 3 years

Zico
15-07-2012, 06:34 PM
The Cup is a farce in the current format.

Bremsstrahlung
15-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Tbh, wouldn't you expect an NBN team to win it? Comprehensively beating the Northern teams for the last 3 years....
The only real way to do things is a completely random draw. You can't play God with these things by giving teams easy passages through...

Maybe giving teams multipliers could be interesting. E.g. NBN= 1, NEWFM = 1.25x, Zone Premier League = 1.5x, ZL1 = x1.75, ZL2 = 2x , ZL3 = 2.5x. Would give lower teams more incentive to enter as they may get a 'lucky run' and be entitles to 1.5 times the prize money than NBN teams...

seldom
15-07-2012, 07:59 PM
maybe no games everyone just thrown into a hat and the winner decided by Mr Eland picking one out raffle like

Retro Jet
16-07-2012, 01:23 AM
maybe no games everyone just thrown into a hat and the winner decided by Mr Eland picking one out raffle like

or Shane Johnson like... :blush:

hawk
16-07-2012, 10:42 PM
no draw will be perfect.

supasub
27-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Tbh, wouldn't you expect an NBN team to win it? Comprehensively beating the Northern teams for the last 3 years....
The only real way to do things is a completely random draw. You can't play God with these things by giving teams easy passages through...

Maybe giving teams multipliers could be interesting. E.g. NBN= 1, NEWFM = 1.25x, Zone Premier League = 1.5x, ZL1 = x1.75, ZL2 = 2x , ZL3 = 2.5x. Would give lower teams more incentive to enter as they may get a 'lucky run' and be entitles to 1.5 times the prize money than NBN teams...

I dont mind this idea at all !!

thehitman
29-07-2012, 03:33 PM
boz some little team from outside tamworth that has been in the last four grand finals of the premier league winning 3 of them. the fact that they lost to barnsley in a one off game does not say anything about the quality of football in our region. the cup has to stay

Swanky
05-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Olympic are CHAMPIONS

Great season boys lets go for the double

Weston v Olympic
1st 1-2
23's 4-0
19's 3-2
17's 1-6

Retro Jet
05-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Olympic are CHAMPIONS