PDA

View Full Version : Squadron Location (and other ideas)

Blackmac79
26-06-2015, 06:19 AM
I understand that there is a fairly diverse membership base on this forum now. It has become in recent seasons far less crowded with purely squadron people. With that said I wanted to canvass opinion on where people think the squadron should be located.

Options are basically:

- Bay60, our current home.
- Bay2, our former home.
- Southern Hill Seats
- Slobs

boz-monaut
26-06-2015, 06:22 AM
Southern hill

Merlot
26-06-2015, 07:01 AM
Southern hill seats if it is achievable.

I think that a bit of support for this could be read in De Bohun when Furns was clearing up the reasons behind the squadron location during the members forum. Not sure if you got the same sort of impression?

Grimario
26-06-2015, 07:58 AM
Hill. If it can get sorted there's no better option.

belchardo
26-06-2015, 08:52 AM
yeah, hill.

- both sides of of the stadium will hear you, rather than just the one you are facing
- you'll be on the coverage more often (and i do think that matters somewhat)

downside
- you're back in the blazing sun
- southern hill bars will get busier
- will probably be harder to organise tifo with only around 10 rows of seating

GazFish35
26-06-2015, 11:15 AM
yeah, hill.

- both sides of of the stadium will hear you, rather than just the one you are facing
- you'll be on the coverage more often (and i do think that matters somewhat)

downside
- you're back in the blazing sun
- southern hill bars will get busier
- will probably be harder to organise tifo with only around 10 rows of seating

backs to the sun though.
tifo just changes shape

BodyNovo
26-06-2015, 11:21 AM
tifo can start taking on a sydney approach with the front of the bay pull ups.

GazFish35
26-06-2015, 12:39 PM
and the entire southern hill

hawk
26-06-2015, 09:41 PM
Havent I been waxing lyrical for long enough...Southern comfort thanks

pistolpete
27-06-2015, 01:45 PM
Slobs on the hill

furns
27-06-2015, 11:38 PM
Just to add to this thread, we are canvassing suggestions from general supporters regarding further initiatives/ideas to improve active support.
If you have any contributions, please post them in here also.

We are going to collate the realistic ideas along with our own we have been discussing to present to the club next week, so please post up your suggestions here by Monday night.

WolfMan
28-06-2015, 12:21 AM
General idea with regard to people saying they don't know the words to NTUA - have them put subtitles on the video that accompanies the song just before kickoff

Couldn't do that for all other songs, but it's something

pv4
28-06-2015, 12:47 AM
Slobs on the hill

+1

Premy
28-06-2015, 05:38 AM
Just to add to this thread, we are canvassing suggestions from general supporters regarding further initiatives/ideas to improve active support.

We are going to collate the realistic ideas along with our own we have been discussing to present to the club next week, so please post up your suggestions here by Monday night.
I understand that they are restricted by some commercial rights at times. But...
it would be nice if the club could promote away travel/pre match venue/away venue ect.

Jeterpool
28-06-2015, 07:26 AM

The suggestion someone made in another thread was put the song list in the members packs.

plague
28-06-2015, 08:11 AM
The suggestion someone made in another thread was put the song list in the members packs.

Hopefully there is a proper consultation process undertaken to determine the appropriate thickness of the card the lyrics are printed on.

margie
28-06-2015, 09:29 AM
From a bay 3 perspective, southern hill would be great,we can join in again

Jetmaster
28-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Even those older members who don't want to join is as such do miss being entertained by the Squadron. You honestly cannot hear them in most of the Western Stand, particularly if there is decent away support in the Eastern.

And...participation by the Western Stand has dropped significantly because of this. Visibility is the key.

Hunter403
28-06-2015, 12:20 PM
I'm in the Eastern stand. The best I heard from the Sqn this year was when they were in the upper tier of the Western stand. That corner location in crap. Behind the goal on Slob 's Hill is the place to go.

baldrick
28-06-2015, 01:33 PM
If the top deck of the Eastern Stand isn't going to be used again this year, why not make some very large banners (or use ones already made) and spread over the seats ?

Superdylan
28-06-2015, 03:29 PM
South hill. More chance of getting bay 1 people back. Also in a general admission area.

Seemed to work well for the Asian cup game can't see why it can't work for us.

WolfMan
28-06-2015, 04:10 PM
We should go to the McDonald's Family Hill so we are all sober and well-behaved for the children

hawk
28-06-2015, 10:32 PM
We should go to the McDonald's Family Hill so we are all sober and well-behaved for the children

Or the northern hill could start the Northern Defenders League. Go all mad n sh1t from both ends :rof: #ideasman

furns
28-06-2015, 10:39 PM
Ok I think it's fair to say southern Hill is a given.

What else yas got?

Jetmaster
29-06-2015, 09:46 AM
On the grass or seated area?

pv4
29-06-2015, 10:04 AM
On the grass or seated area?

IMO the grass is the ideal, but the FFA will not allow it.

Superdylan
29-06-2015, 12:20 PM
Ok I think it's fair to say southern Hill is a given.

What else yas got?

Right up the back of bay 1 & 2

I know its less visual presence but the echoes sound awesome from there.

furns
29-06-2015, 03:06 PM
Right up the back of bay 1 & 2

I know its less visual presence but the echoes sound awesome from there.

The popular consensus is the southern Hill. That is what we will present to the club.
And to clarify, it would be the seated area with the hill remaining GA for those wishing to try it out.

Superdylan
29-06-2015, 05:50 PM
The popular consensus is the southern Hill. That is what we will present to the club.
And to clarify, it would be the seated area with the hill remaining GA for those wishing to try it out.

Lol am happy with southern end. However the seats there are not foldaways so hopefully it wouldn't result in people standing on seats.

q-money
29-06-2015, 05:59 PM
few steel beams in there and we'll be sorted

plague
29-06-2015, 06:28 PM
Legit question: why do you need to go to the club telling them where you're sitting? Will they not let you have banners etc if you're out with the general population?

furns
29-06-2015, 06:48 PM
Legit question: why do you need to go to the club telling them where you're sitting? Will they not let you have banners etc if you're out with the general population?
In short - no. We can't have our oversized banners, flags, tifo and instruments in non active areas.
Last season when we threatened the boycott, that was the consequence if we had to go through with it.

sammydog
29-06-2015, 07:16 PM
So hypothetically, All the Tifo and Instruments are in the seated area of the hill and the squadron starts there. But with time if people crowd in behind them on the grass, is that an issue?

Because thats likely what will happen. If/when the squadron grows, It will spread back up the hill, not sideways in the seats.

Is that the sort of thing that will attract the ire of the club or FFA, or is it OK so long as no instruments or Tifo wind up out of the seated area?

furns
29-06-2015, 07:34 PM
This is what needs to be discussed. But practically that's what would happen.
Keep the stuff in the seated area for a few seasons, negotiate down the line to allow them outside of the seats on the hill.

GazFish35
29-06-2015, 07:34 PM
If you'rethey can't expect all 5000 GA tickets to sit politely and pretend they're in a library (or highbury)

baldrick
29-06-2015, 07:39 PM
If you'rethey can't expect all 5000 GA tickets to sit politely and pretend they're in a library (or Stamford Bridge

Fixed that for you Gaz

Pico
23-07-2015, 07:53 AM
I'm assuming by the membership map that the club/FFA once again played lip service and gave a resounding "you're dreaming" response to the southern hill idea, can't say I'm surprised.

Blackmac79
23-07-2015, 09:22 AM
I'm assuming by the membership map that the club/FFA once again played lip service and gave a resounding "you're dreaming" response to the southern hill idea, can't say I'm surprised.

Not exactly.

The squadron presented a 'White Paper' on active support to the club last week. This was basically a list of ways the club and us can work together to get better outcomes for all fans on matchdays. They are currently discussing this and a number of other issues we have requested be addressed in order to assist with the growth of active support internally. The squadron still may be moved if we are able to overcome the issues surrounding the ground layout between, Club, FFA, Us, Stadium, Police and security.

belchardo
23-07-2015, 09:25 AM
Not exactly.

The squadron presented a 'White Paper' on active support to the club last week. This was basically a list of ways the club and us can work together to get better outcomes for all fans on matchdays. They are currently discussing this and a number of other issues we have requested be addressed in order to assist with the growth of active support internally. The squadron still may be moved if we are able to overcome the issues surrounding the ground layout between, Club, FFA, Us, Stadium, Police and security.

just a random thought, as part of the relocation planning (if it goes ahead) you could pitch installing shade sails over the hills. they'd obviously need to be reasonably high, but you could take them down over winter to allow league players to watch high balls etc, but you can usually get some funding through cancer council for them (not sure if you can for private facilities however). reasonably confident a solution could be found that still ensured good viewing and reasonable sun protection.

boz-monaut
23-07-2015, 09:58 AM
care to elaborate on what the issues are with moving?

seems the vast majority of us on here want it, why won't the Squadron heirachy and club try to work this out?

Blackmac79
23-07-2015, 10:47 AM
care to elaborate on what the issues are with moving?

seems the vast majority of us on here want it, why won't the Squadron heirachy and club try to work this out?

Firstly, the club and the squadron are trying to work it out. These things just take time and the club couldn't delay the sale of season tickets based on the position of 200 individuals. as far as I am aware the club are supportive of the idea.

The issues that surround the move are based on FFA/Hatamoto/police controls.

- Designated Seating
- Designatetd entry & Exit
- proximity to GA

Obviously some of these are more easily fixed than others. There is seating, so that is easy.

I use the example of Adelaide who had rope barriers around their active for the entry issue.

and GA is a positive. it enables those who may not want to have the "full experience", to join in in a obligation free way.

hawk
24-07-2015, 01:38 AM
I bet we cant use the rope system. that would be showing far too much help toward the active.

Yes theres massive amounts of back slapping and goodwill toward the active but... time to deliver a bit ticket item

Outoftowner
01-08-2015, 01:04 AM
I believe that move to bay 60 was Not the right thing to do and it has pretty much made the squadron invisible to TV coverage and the stadium atmosphere has somehow diminished due to empty stands in eastern grandstand with no tifo. If southern hill is not available than squadron should def move back to bays 1-2 where they created a good atmosphere with chanting and tifo.

Blackmac79
01-08-2015, 06:30 AM
I believe that move to bay 60 was Not the right thing to do and it has pretty much made the squadron invisible to TV coverage and the stadium atmosphere has somehow diminished due to empty stands in eastern grandstand with no tifo. If southern hill is not available than squadron should def move back to bays 1-2 where they created a good atmosphere with chanting and tifo.

The move back from where we currently are sitting to bay two is not currently an option available to us. The next logical move will be the southern hill. The support for this is mounting and we are working to have this achieved. Moving Forward, not backward.

It is important to not look at the Squadron in terms of what it was in previous years, yes we created a good atmosphere there, but moving back is not going to bring us the extra 2-300 people we had back then. Numerous factors have affected us, including years of poor on field performance, but also things like senior members moving on, general attitude of the match day crowd, fluctuations in club support, etc.

We are working pretty solidly behind it all to try and create an open and accepting Squadron which is available to all who wish to join. Bay60 was part of that change. On the opening of the Western Stand it was becoming noticeable that many fans were moving from the eastern to the western. Which has continued. We want to be able to engage a large section of the home crowd, and to do this we thought it would be better to be closer to the larger portion of crowds. I personally could not care if I can't be seen on TV.

The southern hill is most certainly the best location for us at this time, and enables rapid growth.

hawk
01-08-2015, 06:54 PM

In the end Bay 2 was screwed, down to 3 rows. Only a couple of of night games had improved the numbers.

Most of our games next year is still in the heat cause Newy doesn't deserve 7.30pm games according to fox

Blackmac79
01-08-2015, 09:10 PM
See I remember being involved in bay2 the way hawk States. 3 rows, hot sun, bay1 people yelling abuse at the people trying to get an atmosphere going.

Bay60 has been positive in my mind. We have new members, young people joining in, access to a greater portion of the crowd.

The hill will be even better

furns
02-08-2015, 01:12 AM
What Tobes said

Southern Hill ftw

Outoftowner
27-08-2015, 12:44 AM
yeah southern hill is looking good, like back in good Ol days ����

Superdylan
27-08-2015, 01:31 AM
yeah southern hill is looking good, like back in good Ol days ����

Lols dem clapper sticks

P.s trying to spot familiar faces

Scourge
25-10-2015, 09:04 PM
So I'm guessing this got shelved never to be spoken of again for quite a few more years?

Blackmac79
25-10-2015, 09:09 PM
No. It is still in the pipeline.

Just issues to work through, unlikely to happen this season mind.

(Bay 60 was alright on Friday night, hard for anyone to claim we can't create atmosphere from there now)

Scourge
25-10-2015, 09:12 PM
Definitely not, you guys did awesome... But being on the hill opens up everyone behind goals to join in.

Blackmac79
25-10-2015, 09:29 PM
Agree 100%.

Unfortunately it is out of our hands. We could move there but would lose everything that makes organisation and coordination possible.

Hunter403
25-10-2015, 11:23 PM
From 60 you can't be heard in the Western stand. From my seat in 54 even MV few supporters sounded louder. I think the Sqn should be on the East side where they can be seen and heard by the majority of the crowd who are in the West stand

Blackmac79
26-10-2015, 06:15 AM
From 60 you can't be heard in the Western stand. From my seat in 54 even MV few supporters sounded louder. I think the Sqn should be on the East side where they can be seen and heard by the majority of the crowd who are in the West stand

Interesting. This isn't what I was being told after Friday night.

Although I couldn't hear bay 54 from where I was sitting. Perhaps you guys could come and join us in 60 then we could hear each other?

Important to remember what makes the Wanderers atmosphere so damn good at home, is not what the RBB do, it's what the other 99% do.

Hunter403
26-10-2015, 07:49 AM
Wasn't having a shot. Just an observation. The reason we can't hear you as well as the opposition support is that they are opposite us. I'm sure those in the East heard you very well.
My point is that if the Sqn was in the Eastern stand the the majority of the crowd (who are in the West stand would hear you better and be more likely to join in.
As i said I'm not having a shot. I really appreciate the Sqn efforts but would like them to be in the most effective position possible and i think that that is back in their old spot

Jetmaster
26-10-2015, 09:40 AM
I have to agree with him..
In the Western Stand the away fans do sound amplified. The Squadron sound is muffled and if the wind blows, non existent....a simple matter of acoustics, not crticism.

No doubt that when the Squadron is heard, more of the crowd join in.

GazFish35
26-10-2015, 09:40 AM
Back in the old spot - numbers would plummet again.
We've got 12 more 5pm or 5:15 kickoffs.

BodyNovo
26-10-2015, 09:51 AM
I'm just going to put this out there and I'm not having a shot

can people get bay 2 out of there heads, the next move is to the southern hill and then we are done

there is one stakeholder who isn't allowing for us to move, so the committee, the club and help from security and police are trying to go back with something that won't make them say no

When we moved to bay 60 70-80% were supportive off the move

id say 50% change there mind about 3 months after we made the move permanent.

The TV element is bulshit IMO, foxsports station cameras at the front of the squadron bay every week regardless and I can link you to the footage of carneys goal and there reaction for the goal.

Tifo is for the players and the club and not for TV, while the RBB, north terrace, etc. might be in it for ultra points.

you know whats going to make bay 60 louder for not only the western stand but the whole stadium;

If more people join in.

Friday night IMO was the best its been in years and definitely our best night since the move.

lets work with what we have and make the best off it.

ForeverRed
26-10-2015, 11:21 AM
I sit in bay 52 western stand, never heard a thing all night, the nor Easter does nothing for you

lquiquer
26-10-2015, 12:48 PM
If only the Baird gvt would give us few millions ( not mentioning the 1.2 billion Sydney got) to get rid of grass behind goal post then it would all be sorted .....,pffff

hawk
26-10-2015, 02:54 PM
the next move is to the southern hill and then we are done

there is one stakeholder who isn't allowing for us to move, so the committee, the club and help from security and police are trying to go back with something that won't make them say no

there it is. end of right there

interesting how we had it at the start then had to relinquish

sammydog
26-10-2015, 03:04 PM

Didn't hear the MV supporters from Bay 55, but the Squadron was the loudest I can remember for a long time, be it Bay 2 or 60.

Jeterpool
26-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Didn't hear the MV supporters from Bay 55, but the Squadron was the loudest I can remember for a long time, be it Bay 2 or 60.

100% agree

belchardo
26-10-2015, 03:19 PM
I didn't hear any of you from Canberra. lift your game.

Premy
26-10-2015, 05:17 PM
If only the Baird gvt would give us few millions ( not mentioning the 1.2 billion Sydney got) to get rid of grass behind goal post then it would all be sorted .....,pffff
Maybe we could get some of that port lease money?
Oh sorry forgot we we're talking about Newcastle carry on nothing to see here.

GazFish35
26-10-2015, 06:14 PM
Maybe all that steel rail line they're getting rid of could be repurposed.

belchardo
26-10-2015, 09:22 PM
Maybe all that steel rail line they're getting rid of could be repurposed.

Good idea. They'll send it to sydney for the next derby.

Scourge
30-10-2015, 11:18 AM
I'm at the back of 55 and could hear you loud and clear last week, but do agree with the earlier poster who said the away bay is amplified being opposite.

I have in the past heard comments by those in bay 55 saying that the small away bay contingent outdoes you, but I believe that's a reflection of our last few years and the acoustics of the ground making them sound louder.

All things being considered, here's hoping the stakeholder holding out pulls their finger out and lets you move sooner rather than later!

Superdylan
30-10-2015, 01:12 PM
I'm at the back of 55 and could hear you loud and clear last week, but do agree with the earlier poster who said the away bay is amplified being opposite.

I have in the past heard comments by those in bay 55 saying that the small away bay contingent outdoes you, but I believe that's a reflection of our last few years and the acoustics of the ground making them sound louder.

All things being considered, here's hoping the stakeholder holding out pulls their finger out and lets you move sooner rather than later!

Acoustics will be worse on the south hill. Honestly happy with bay 60 for the time been.

As a couple have said bay 1,2 is done. Hot afternoon games were the worst for energy levels looking directly in the sun.

militiamon
30-10-2015, 01:55 PM
SD, that older bird you're banging must be making you more mature. Agree with him.

q-money
30-10-2015, 02:06 PM
good old SD the pussy master (y)

hawk
30-10-2015, 09:32 PM
SD, that older bird you're banging must be making you more mature. Agree with him.

miss Andersonnnnnn, your chocolate milk is....

Superdylan
31-10-2015, 12:49 AM

You khunts ffs :blush: