PDA

View Full Version : 2015 A-League Fixtures - Mon 29th June

furns
28-06-2015, 10:57 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/aleague-201516-fixture-list-goes-backtobasics-after-year-of-mayhem-20150628-ghzxt1.html

Experimental matches at ANZ Stadium and Geelong, a Thursday night start, football on Christmas Eve and Asian Champions League-friendly fixturing are some of the talking points of next season's A-League draw, due to be released on Monday morning.

Football Federation Australia is hoping a return a more consistent fixture structure will underpin increased crowds and media interest heading into the A-League's 11th season.

After seeing their product virtually split into two halves due to the Asian Cup break last season, the league's early season momentum was frittered away after the high of the three-week international break, despite a grand final which drew nationwide attention.

The international adventures of the Western Sydney Wanderers in the Asian Champions League and the Club World Cup also wreaked havoc with the fixtures for themselves and their opponents, something that won't be a problem this year.

Advertisement

For the first time, it is believed the FFA have built the fixture with ACL participants in mind, extending breaks either side of their midweek contests and looking to minimise the distance travelled.

That could prove a small mercy to Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC, and also Adelaide United, should they manage to qualify for the group stages.

The league will kick off with the Western Sydney Wanderers hosting the crisis-hit Brisbane Roar at Parramatta Stadium on October 8 – a rare Thursday night start for the competition and John Aloisi's first match in charge of the three-time champions.

ANZ Stadium will play host to its second A-League fixture, although it won't be a derby as many expected. That won't be happening this season unless a final is scheduled between the two teams.

Sydney FC, who last played there in 2012-13 with a 2-1 win victory Perth Glory in front of 22,128 fans, are due to host the Newcastle Jets at the Olympic Stadium on January 9.
The Central Coast Mariners have taken a cash-grab – believed to be close to $100,000 – to shift their home game against Melbourne Victory to Geelong's Simonds Stadium, which successfully hosted last season's top-of-the-table clash between the Victory and Glory.

The move may antagonise some club members, already fuming at the club's long-term ambition to play an increasing number of matches at North Sydney Oval.

In more pleasing news for the Mariners, they've won back their most cherished fixture, with the club successfully lobbying for the right to be reinstated as the host for their traditional New Year's Eve clash.

The Wanderers will also get into the holiday fun, hosting the Jets in a Christmas Eve match at Parramatta - a fixture that could either boom or bust.

Perth's first meaningful match after being banned for salary cap breaches last season will take place away to Newcastle, who will be playing their first match under new coach Scott Miller.

The A-League's marquee fixtures – the Sydney and Melbourne derbies – will be hosted twice by Sydney FC and Melbourne City respectively.

The grand final re-match between Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC is expected to take place in Sydney in mid-November, with the two subsequent clashes between the sides occurring in Melbourne.

The A-League is also hoping to revive the excitement of the F3 Derby by scheduling the third and final contest between the two regional NSW sides on the closing day of the season, hoping it could be a do-or-die game for either side in the race for the finals.

q-money
28-06-2015, 10:58 PM
ergh, anz and gypos on last day of season

thanks obama

pv4
28-06-2015, 11:30 PM
Anz is terrific when filled. And dead when not.

WolfMan
29-06-2015, 07:34 AM
So we're starting with back-to-back home matches then? Perth and then Victory?

Rocknerd
29-06-2015, 08:01 AM
Well at least I won't die in West Sydney on Xmas eve as I'll be in Qld. ****ing retarded fixturing. And ANZ FFS, what a ridiculous plan. You won't even be able to hear or see anything.May as well move the F3 derby to brookvalle.

Jetmaster
29-06-2015, 09:34 AM
Take the family to Parramatta on Christmas Eve?

Yeah right.

Oh well, makes a change to watching bloody "Carols By Candlelight".

pv4
29-06-2015, 10:43 AM
May I suggest if the fixtures work out accordingly (ie is a Saturday game or long weekend) that the official nf.net away match be in Adelaide? I've been stinging for an excuse to get to Hindmarsh.

Grimario
29-06-2015, 10:46 AM
May I suggest if the fixtures work out accordingly (ie is a Saturday game or long weekend) that the official nf.net away match be in Adelaide? I've been stinging for an excuse to get to Hindmarsh.

And catch up with awesome blokes like me, right?

Jeterpool
29-06-2015, 10:50 AM

Added bonus or reasonable excuse

Rocknerd
29-06-2015, 11:22 AM
Gypos away twice this season Sunday 28/2 and last round

WolfMan
29-06-2015, 11:29 AM

Last round could be explosive. Keen

Jeterpool
29-06-2015, 11:32 AM
Nix away first up. Only time we go there this year

matty
29-06-2015, 11:34 AM
Only one trip to perth and wello, 2 away in adelaide and xmas eve in parramatta

pv4
29-06-2015, 11:35 AM
Unless I read it wrong, all our away games outside of NSW are on a Sunday/Monday ffs. No decent out-of-state trip to be had without the hassle of a working day the next day.

EDIT: wait, a couple of Fridays. But still, no Saturday out-of-state games :(

pv4
29-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Our home game vs Wanderers is scheduled for the date of the FFA Cup Final. Apparently the FFA have gambled that neither of us will make the final :rof:

hawk
29-06-2015, 11:50 AM
Take the family to Parramatta on Christmas Eve?

Yeah right.

Oh well, makes a change to watching bloody "Carols By Candlelight".

is Christmas celebrated in Parra?

lil_masi
29-06-2015, 12:03 PM
14 home games: 2 fri, 6 saturday, 6 sunday.
Play away twice: syd fc, cc, adel, bris
First 10 games, 6 H, 4 A
Last 10: 4 H, 6 A

pv4
29-06-2015, 12:23 PM

You're right - we should avoid Adelaide.

Grimario
29-06-2015, 12:25 PM
You're right - we should avoid Adelaide.

:gent:

Both Sunday afternoons though, shit time for an away game.

Superdylan
29-06-2015, 12:26 PM
12 day games at home for 5pm seems a huge amount.

q-money
29-06-2015, 12:27 PM
always the fkn same

plague
29-06-2015, 12:49 PM

What date is this?
Might come.

pv4
29-06-2015, 12:52 PM
What date is this?
Might come.

Turns out we weren't lucky enough to jag a Saturday.

But IMO the best option for an Adelaide away trip is Sunday 22 November (there's also one at the end of Jan but fxxx that late-Jan arvo heat :rof: ). Unfortunately it is not a long weekend or anything, so the next day may be tricky work-wise for some.

I reckon either this Adelaide trip, or the Wellington round 1, are the best options for an out-of-state away trip.

Superdylan
29-06-2015, 01:22 PM
Deff keen on finally doing a wellington away.

Will need a passport first though.

pv4
29-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Not sure if been linked yet or not:

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/sites/sbs.com.au.theworldgame/files/hyundai_a-league_2015-16_season_draw_document_-_final.pdf

weston
29-06-2015, 01:47 PM
Looked at the Melbourne away game, 30th October. Looks the goods. $89 flight to and from the Whitsundays on the Thursday and $89 flights back on the Monday. Game is the Friday night.

I wonder what accomodation prices would be like.

Jeterpool
29-06-2015, 01:54 PM
Interesting anomaly in the draw this year. We will have played all 3 matches against Sydney FC before we have played a match against Perth.

Also, we will play consecutive away matches twice, while playing consecutive home matches 4 times. This is also the year where we only travel once to Wellington and Perth. And before we fly to Perth we play away at Central Coast which isn't going to place travel demands on the players

We have short back-ups (i.e. 5 days or less between matches) 3 times.

I honestly don't think the draw could have been much more favourable for us. It certainly isn't going to be an excuse as it has been in the past.

weston
29-06-2015, 02:07 PM
Brisbane away 12th of February may very well be a certainty for me. $49 flight there, $49 flight back. Can stay at uncles or save up enough for a night or two in a hotel. Easy. Anyone planning on going to this one than I am keen.

Jeterpool
29-06-2015, 02:10 PM
Brisbane away 12th of February may very well be a certainty for me. $49 flight there, $49 flight back. Can stay at uncles or save up enough for a night or two in a hotel. Easy. Anyone planning on going to this one than I am keen.

Maybe. Long way to go between now and then but at those prices I'd snap them up!

Beeen
29-06-2015, 02:12 PM
is Christmas celebrated in Parra?

It;s a good bash aparently.

Premy
29-06-2015, 03:36 PM
FFA "we want to reignite the F3 Derby"
Schedules F3 Derby on a Sunday :banghead:

Premy
29-06-2015, 03:43 PM
Interesting anomaly in the draw this year. We will have played all 3 matches against Sydney FC before we have played a match against Perth.

Also, we will play consecutive away matches twice, while playing consecutive home matches 4 times. This is also the year where we only travel once to Wellington and Perth. And before we fly to Perth we play away at Central Coast which isn't going to place travel demands on the players

We have short back-ups (i.e. 5 days or less between matches) 3 times.

I honestly don't think the draw could have been much more favourable for us. It certainly isn't going to be an excuse as it has been in the past.
Favourable for us as a team yeah, favourable for us as fans pfft.

Jeterpool
29-06-2015, 03:49 PM
Favourable for us as a team yeah, favourable for us as fans pfft.

Then let's hope they take advantage of it and deliver some home finals for us in that case.

stopper2
29-06-2015, 08:51 PM
12 day games at home for 5pm seems a huge amount.

That's even worse than last season, way too many farken arvo games.....not happy!!!

Superdylan
30-06-2015, 12:23 PM
Looked at the Melbourne away game, 30th October. Looks the goods. $89 flight to and from the Whitsundays on the Thursday and $89 flights back on the Monday. Game is the Friday night.

I wonder what accomodation prices would be like.

Could be in high demand. Melbourne cup 5 days later on the Tuesday.

weston
30-06-2015, 01:02 PM

I've since found a better deal in Brisbane so looks like no Melbourne trip. Not this season anyway.

Kind of annoying, it's cheaper for me to go to an away game than it is to go to a home game.

leftrightout
30-06-2015, 01:02 PM

Don't worry about Melbourne Cup, Derby day is the day after and as far as the two go its the one to attend!

Looks like i may have to take a trip to melbourne

Jetmaster
30-06-2015, 04:20 PM
Bugger the away trips, I'm with stopper - 6 x Sat arvos and 6 x Sun arvos - absolute madness, for some reason the impression remains that Jets faithful want family friendly 5pm kickoffs.

q-money
30-06-2015, 04:22 PM
benny o'neill said on the twitters earlier today that it's a TV thing, newcastle never rates well so fox buries the newcastle games in the garbage slots (i.e. saturday/sunday 5pm)

the only way out is by winning. terrible east coast sides like ourselves, gypos will never get anything out of it unless they are riding high and make themselves a TV draw

GazFish35
01-07-2015, 12:02 AM
Q-money is on the money.

TV money dictates kickoff times.

pv4
01-07-2015, 12:15 AM
What I'm curious about is what we requested from the draw this season. If memory serves correctly, each club is allowed 1 request that within reason the FFA will do their best to help achieve. I wonder what we asked for this year..

GazFish35
01-07-2015, 12:40 AM
Probably not to open with a derby.

Premy
01-07-2015, 02:04 AM
Probably not to open with a derby.
Looking at the 1st round, If you swap us and Perth around I think it would have been a near perfect 1st round

Pico
01-07-2015, 08:04 AM
What I'm curious about is what we requested from the draw this season. If memory serves correctly, each club is allowed 1 request that within reason the FFA will do their best to help achieve. I wonder what we asked for this year..

To exist?

Jetmaster
01-07-2015, 09:36 AM
I guess Fox rules and it is more and more obvious - the video shown at the forums showed this - that they consider us the Gypos, Wello and Perth to some extent as "filler". Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide and Brisbane dominate the TV guide.

It's up to us to get results but we are now on a treadmill, it is harder to attracts fans, build an atmosphere and even play at 100% on a hot, summers afternoon.

I think FFA realise the disparity but Fox want a "super league" within a league and their panel of Sydneysiders reflect this.

hawk
01-07-2015, 02:42 PM
benny o'neill said on the twitters earlier today that it's a TV thing, newcastle never rates well so fox buries the newcastle games in the garbage slots (i.e. saturday/sunday 5pm)

the only way out is by winning. terrible east coast sides like ourselves, gypos will never get anything out of it unless they are riding high and make themselves a TV draw

So we'll have to follow a big team instead of a piss team in Benny's eyes to enjoy 7.30pm viewing. fkn great innit

stopper2
03-07-2015, 01:10 PM
Saw on Twitter earlier this week that Benny O'Neill in response to not getting enough night games put up.....
Unfortunately we've not rated well on TV recently
We have to get numbers up to get nights
There you have it, the whole schedule for games is dictated by Fox.
I't not about what is better for the fans attending live matches, it's all about TV ratings FFS.
It's a catch-22 situation now for us though because generally the arvo 5pm kick offs are of a poorer standard because of the heat, with 12 of our 14 home matches either 5pm or 5.15pm kick offs we are already up against it in trying to look more appealing on the box and hence "get numbers up to get nights".
Other teams like Victory and Adelaide for eg are going to continue to rate higher as most of their games are at night....unfortunately it's a vicious cycle which will be very hard to get out of until we start winning and playing attractive football.
Wish there could be a compromise and games between Nov-Mar start no earlier than 6pm, that way the second game would still allow to be kicked off at the still reasonable time of 8pm.
Come on FFA and Fox listen to the farken fans once!!!!

leftrightout
03-07-2015, 01:17 PM
There you have it, the whole schedule for games is dictated by Fox.

Of course the schedule is dictated by the broadcaster. This is exactly how it would be in every sport in every country. Without the money Fox put into the game, it wouldn't be where it is.

stopper2
03-07-2015, 01:38 PM
Of course the schedule is dictated by the broadcaster. This is exactly how it would be in every sport in every country. Without the money Fox put into the game, it wouldn't be where it is.

That is a very broad statement: This is exactly how it would be in every sport in every country.
How would you know?
Fox and FFA need to listen to the fans a bit and not be so stubborn and rigid in their thinking. Okay they want to boost ratings but at the same time they should be thinking about how they can maximise "bums on seats" too. NRL has become too TV-orientated and look how their crowd figures have nosedived as a result.
People would rather sit at home and watch the game on telly than go out on a cold Winters night to watch Footy.
Likewise in the middle of Summer, these 5pm starts are not encouraging people to go to the games. A hot afternoon in January many people are going to hang out at the beach or be inside with the air con rather than going to an A League match. Put these games back to at least a 6pm start or even 6.30pm one.

militiamon
03-07-2015, 06:01 PM
Completely agree with what stopper is saying, and moreover I'm actually skeptical that what that Coastie media guy said anyway.

In the past there have been many references to the clubs putting in preferences for certain games (e.g a few seasons back the club was openly saying we were asked for Sunday afternoon games to be more appealing to families). I haven't crunched the numbers but I don't think it was this bad last season, yet I'm sure our TV ratings from the previous season weren't that great.

la bazzle
03-07-2015, 06:15 PM
Completely agree with what stopper is saying, and moreover I'm actually skeptical that what that Coastie media guy said anyway.

Off topic but how did this guy avoid the chopping block? Hes a gypo, hes pv4s mate and he came up with "moving forward". If thats the extent of his skillz he should have been booted with the rest of the mugs. #bennyosqueelout

Grimario
03-07-2015, 06:31 PM
Off topic but how did this guy avoid the chopping block? Hes a gypo, hes pv4s mate and he came up with "moving forward". If thats the extent of his skillz he should have been booted with the rest of the mugs. #bennyosqueelout

Pretty sure gypo guy only started a bit before the end. Moving forward was long before he arrived.