PDA

View Full Version : Possible Jetstream Podcast with David Eland

furns
15-07-2012, 02:43 PM
as I posted in podcast forum

Introduced myself to David Eland at the Trust meeting, asked him if he would be interested in being interviewed for a Jetstream Fan Forum podcast a la Robbie/Jarrod/GVE episodes I taped earlier. He was keen, are people interested and are there many questions people would like to ask him?
So, are people interested? What sort of questions would people like to ask him?

GazFish35
15-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Plans for an all weather facility?

seldom
15-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Thinking behind having u16 u18 u20 and 1st grade in 2014 NBN. Surely a lot of decent players over 20 but not up to 1st grade are going to be isolated or is the plan to strengthen lower divisions ?

RedMexican
15-07-2012, 08:14 PM
changing the NNSW cup format to possibly somehow improve it and make it a compltely random format.

Swanky
15-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Set up the draw in the State Cup so there is only byes in Round 1

It was a farce thet in the final local leg a team recieved a bye.

Set it up so its R1 64 teams/ Rd 2 32 / Rd 3 16 / 1/4 Final 8 / Semi 4 / Final 2 / Winner 1

Example if there are 40 teams in the draw you will have 24 teams with byes and 16 teams play to get the 8 winners to make round 2 and even 32

Grunta
15-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Yeah can you asked David if he has any plan to help the smaller clubs to survive.

The current format with Associations running their own elite squads takes the best players from local clubs which in many cases causes real problems for those teams and clubs. For these club teams the loss of these players usually means the team suffers, loses games and in many cases gets demoted the next season.

The knock on effect is that parents take their kids to the super clubs that offer multiple teams in multiple grades so the smaller club loses out again as this weakens the whole nature of the club.

As an example I offer what has happened to my club the Tenambit Sharks. We have low rego costs (at least $50 cheaper in most grades then our nearest rival), great facilities and ofer to pay for all coaching certificates, gala days and a number of other initiatives to attract parents/players. Yet over the years our teams lose their best players to large clubs such as Maitland and Thornton. Where the club use to have a number of teams in all age groups, up to 17s we now have no teams between 12s & 16s.

The club has been very successful growing their seniors All Age men's & 1 women's team as well as our senior League 1 squad but the clubs junior ranks are dwindling as any talented players that are developed is very quickly snapped up by either the association or the two larger clubs in the area.

Sharks have always encouraged their talented players to go as far as they can but as a club with over 35 years of history there is a real concern that we will soon become a seniors club only as we continue to lose players, which then leads to less support from parents to assist in the running of the club.

Is their any future for the small local suburbern in the NNSWF plans or will the future only be for the mega clubs of football in the region.

I apologise for the length of my "question" but we have lost a couple of clubs in the HV association over the last few years while the bigger clubs get bigger. And it's not often you get a chance to put it to someone who is suppose to care.

Cheers

hawk
15-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Why cant players who have private insurance pay reduced rego?

Will photo id be used on game day?

pv4
15-07-2012, 10:13 PM
what do we have to do to change the format of the solo cup back to higher seeded teams have a bye in initial rounds & then any team can be drawn against any league? it was a much better setup & the only reason there was such a high number of clubs in this years comp was the entry fee was paid for them. the competition itself was a joke this year - no team wants to pay money to play against someone in their own comp! if Barnsley really was the fairy tale story the herald posted it was, they would have done what Barnsley fc in England did & actually knock off powerhouse clubs on their route to the finals.

Bremsstrahlung
15-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Thinking behind having u16 u18 u20 and 1st grade in 2014 NBN. Surely a lot of decent players over 20 but not up to 1st grade are going to be isolated or is the plan to strengthen lower divisions ?

+ Will the 18, 20 and first grade groupings also apply to NEWFM competition?

Also, How does NNSWF judge the success of such age groups, when various changes to the competitions are made so frequently? e.g it was changed from U/19s in 2008, 17s and 19s (2009) to under 18s (2010), to U/19s with a separate competition for U/17s in 2011, now its U/17s and U/19s.

Zico
15-07-2012, 11:40 PM
1/ Will the proposed points grading for players in NBN and NEWFM still go ahead or will it be modified to be a fairer system?
2/ Is the "A" Licence still be the requirement for State League coaches by 2014?
3/ Will the State Cup be modeled to a FA Cup style draw?
4/ Is it true that State League will be expanded to a 12 team comp with an inclusion of Nelson Bay and a North Coast club?
5/ The future of promotion/relegation?
6/ As Grunta said, will there be a look at how junior clubs can survive and if a revamp of the failing junior elite program will be considered.

oneeye
15-07-2012, 11:58 PM
1/ Will promotion / relegation be resumed between Newfm and Zpl?
2/ Will ZPL clubs get a visit form a NNSW representative to be advised on what is needed to update their facilities to Newfm status?.

seldom
16-07-2012, 01:22 AM
why are coaching courses all based on a Dutch 4-3-3 system. we do realise the Dutch have gone back to the drawing board after recent average results

furns
16-07-2012, 03:50 AM
why are coaching courses all based on a Dutch 4-3-3 system. we do realise the Dutch have gone back to the drawing board after recent average resultsI will answer that. Its the mandated system by the FFA.

Disinterested Bystander
16-07-2012, 07:59 AM
Why cant players who have private insurance pay reduced rego?

Fat chance of getting a sensible answer to that question. I'm sure NNSWF receive some sort of kickback (sponsorship, contra deals, reduced insurance premiums etc) for forcing players to pay for insurance. David would probably justify it by claiming that players benefit from reduced premiuims due to the buying power of NNSWF's membership, but you're still paying for something that is essentially useless due to the exclusions and restrictions in place.

GazFish35
16-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Can we let him answer it, or just continue the guessing game?

MFKS
16-07-2012, 08:44 PM
In light of the Local Rugby Union Authorities getting a significant government/council handout to redo a facility ie the No2 Sportsground for basically their own private use. Where is the NNSW Fed at in getting a similar facility to be used for solely round ball activities. ie Jets NYL games, W League, State League and New FM level Finals series, NNSW rep games etc. Don't need a 30k all seater for this just something that we can fit 5k in and has a top quality playing surface not churned up by eggball codes

Also in light of the Jets involvement at State League level why doesn't the NNSW Fed actually get more use out of the Jets to promote the comp and individual games. Admittedly you do see some of the HAL squad at these games but why aren't 2 HAL players put on PR duty each game, to sign Autographs for the kids, have photos taken with punters, have a kick around on the pitch with the kids at HT and help the club hosting the match raise some funds with a raffle or something.

I am sure there are many other good ideas out there that I can't think of.

After all the Jets seem to be getting all the good out of being in the State League level how about the NNSW Fed actually putting a bit of a squeeze on them to get their finger out and give a bit back

namwob99
16-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Why are all clubs forced to play nnsw's 'super 6's' in the off-season now rather than successful 7 aside comps? Is there any other reason other then nnsw penny pinching?

hawk
16-07-2012, 10:37 PM
I will answer that. Its the mandated system by the FFA.

Why is it mandated by fifa?

hawk
16-07-2012, 10:38 PM
David, are going to egg the houses of the previous board?

MFKS
16-07-2012, 11:22 PM
Why is it mandated by fifa?

FFA introduced a coaching curriculum for the development of better technical players in the future years. As part of this curriculum it has down a 4-3-3 system as the way to develop players. The belief behind this system is that it helps develop players technical and tactical skills at a better rate than any other formation. Not saying it is right/wrong but that is what this philosophy claims

Blackmac79
17-07-2012, 05:47 AM
4-3-3 increases the number of touches each individual gets on the ball, its the same reasoning behind small-sided games. The more touches a player gets the more time with the ball he/she has the more technical/skillful that player is going to become.

Con Boutzanis (sp?) - released his own training "app", in which a beginner player would recieve over 500 touches an hour and an expert player between 1000-1500. Giving players far more time to develop with the ball.

We are trying to move away from the ideology that physical attributes outweigh everything else.

seldom
17-07-2012, 01:46 PM
agree small sided games give more touches on the ball but wouldnt say playing 4-3-3 does. I have nothing against 4-3-3 if you have the players to fit that system but coaching courses should be about developing coaches in all aspects of coaching.
As a coach if you're playing against a team playing 4-3-3 and you know they're better at it than you it would be crazy to play the same system.Surely players need to be taught all systems for their development.
Just my opinion.

Beast
17-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Seldom, Completely agree. I watched a school game where both teams played the 4-3-3 system one team had better players technically and completely dominated the middle of the park. A change to a 4-4-2 system was sugested to give extra strenght in the midfield. No they stayed with the original formation and lost 4 -0. Not saying a change would of given them a win, but agree you to play a formation to suit your team.

GazFish35
17-07-2012, 07:06 PM
4-3-3 = 4-1-2-3 or 4-2-1-3 or 4-2-3-1

It's not "4-3-3" that is neccisarily the problem, or not having the players to play it.
A lot of it comes down to coach not knowing how to use it and adapt it and think of it as 3 rigid lines of players.
And that can be a result of the coaching courses.
Don't blame the tactical system.
Blame the lack of knowledge of the tactical system

Bremsstrahlung
17-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Why does he have so many multis? Is it so he can provide different point of view?

seldom
18-07-2012, 01:23 AM

This was my point. You've mentioned 4 different systems above .....throw in 4-4-2...3-5-2 and several others and you get where I'm coming from.Coaches and players need to be exposed to all formations for development.

GazFish35
18-07-2012, 06:59 AM
You've mentioned 4 different systems above

no I didn't. I mentioned tactical variations afforded to a coach who knows how to use the 4-3-3 diffently depending on the situation.

MFKS
18-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Seldom the issue isn't about the systems of 4-4-2, 3 -5 -2, 4-3-3 or whatever. These things can be learned easily as the player gets older and the tactical side of the game should be ideally learned primarily once 16-18 years old for those pushing into the game as a pro footballer.

The need for 4 - 3 -3 is that it is "believed" to assist in the skill set development of players as juniors. So hopefully in 10-15 years time Aussie kids will be much better skilled than my generation, your generation or the current generation coming through.

Also remember it ain't about winning or losing at this age/level the coaching should be about developing players skill sets and love of the game. Whether or not a game could be won/lost by tweaking tactics should be irrelevant at this level as the kids should be out their learning the game and enjoying it

I don't believe at all that it hinders players development not being exposed to playing against a variety of formations at all. Kids should be taught the aspects of controlling a ball dribbling beating a man maintaining possession creating space and manipulating 2v2s 1v1s 3v2s etc rather than how to break down a 3-5-2 lineup.

Remember they are kids after all and their level of comprehension of tactics is gonna be at the lower end of the spectrum. Learn the basics and develop the theory behind it later should be the logic here

It is also known that in over countries with successful football programs that they don't focus on tactics but instead skill sets at a young age. Why should we be different???

pv4
18-07-2012, 11:52 AM
4-3-3 = 4-1-2-3 or 4-2-1-3 or 4-2-3-1

It's not "4-3-3" that is neccisarily the problem, or not having the players to play it.
A lot of it comes down to coach not knowing how to use it and adapt it and think of it as 3 rigid lines of players.
Don't blame the tactical system.
Blame the lack of knowledge of the tactical system

who are you and what have you done with vikingjet

but yeah, i agree. thinking too rigidly about a 4-3-3 is detrimental, it all has to do with how you want your top men to defend, if you want a flat midfield or a horseshoe, how much you want your widebacks to get involved in attack, if you play a flat 4 across the back, etc. for me the ultimate system is 4-3-3 in attack & 4-4-2 in defence, and it's how any and every team should be playing.

goaliepersempre
18-07-2012, 12:13 PM
you can try and play every formation under the sun, it wont matter a bit if you are unable to

A) kick
B) Shoot
C) Take on a ball in the Air
D) Hold the ball up
E) Run with the Ball
F) pass the ball and MOVE

the list goes on...

seldom
18-07-2012, 01:50 PM
no I didn't. I mentioned tactical variations afforded to a coach who knows how to use the 4-3-3 diffently depending on the situation.

tactical variations are systems.have played and coached all these "formations" and not sure how this became a textbook argument but again having done the coaching courses through nnsw I personally thought they could be run slightly different with less focus on 4-3-3. Again only my opinion, others who have done these courses probably totally disagree with me.I was asking Mr Eland this question because I truly wanted to know the reasoning

furns
29-08-2012, 12:34 PM
so I take it people are interested in a podcast involving David Eland then :)

stay tuned people

nbnjet
10-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Another question for David. Why do the local football authorities persist in scheduling games on the same days as the NBN State League GF, NEW FM GF and Womens GF??? Why won't the NNSWFF force their hand to schedule game days well before we get to these GFs?

nbnjet
10-09-2012, 02:35 PM
And another - why won't Northern NSW administer the Zone leagues, in line with the NBN and New FM leagues, so there is a consistent and professional administration for all the clubs? Particularly with regard to promotion/relegation and consistency through the rules and regs?

nbnjet
10-09-2012, 02:42 PM
And another - What would be a fair and equitable system for selecting the GF ground in 2013, assuming the current selection criteria is not fair and equitable as some clubs have stated? Was there a selection process this year? What clubs, if any, requested to host the GF? Also would the NNSWFF consider holding the GF at a non football ground, i.e. No 2 sports ground? Will it be the future vision of the NNSWFF to hold the GF at its new complex at Speers Point?

Jardelsimage
11-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Another question for David. Why do the local football authorities persist in scheduling games on the same days as the NBN State League GF, NEW FM GF and Womens GF??? Why won't the NNSWFF force their hand to schedule game days well before we get to these GFs?

Why dont the NNSWFA and Mac/Hunt/NewPort have there comps in line totally agree.
The last game played in Newcastle should be the NBN GF, 2nd last should be 2hd, ZPL and others 3rd last along with junior comps.
Then you have the build up to the final game, which is the NBN GF (stuff 4000 this year, could be 6 or 7)
it might mean some comps start earlier, less spare weekends, but it is workable.
Can this work

nbnjet
13-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Why dont the NNSWFA and Mac/Hunt/NewPort have there comps in line totally agree.
The last game played in Newcastle should be the NBN GF, 2nd last should be 2hd, ZPL and others 3rd last along with junior comps.
Then you have the build up to the final game, which is the NBN GF (stuff 4000 this year, could be 6 or 7)
it might mean some comps start earlier, less spare weekends, but it is workable.
Can this work

So many grounds have lights so why don't they schedule some mid week games, probably before and after long weekends. We could have a month long of finals and GFs culminating in the NBN State League GF. Why not also integrate the Womans into the 2hd GF? Would make sense and have a larger crowd than they usually would, and of course would not detract from another GF or Final, play them before the 2hd 1st grade. Im beginning to think we have incompetent people running our game at all levels who have no real football interest. Cmon Alan Nesbit make it happen!!! Push a positive agenda for the game!

nbnjet
13-09-2012, 11:48 AM
so I take it people are interested in a podcast involving David Eland then :)

stay tuned people

Hey furns - more than interested in the podcast. How does it work? Will we be able to post our questions through the forum and David will reply all in real time???

Captain_Carl
19-11-2021, 09:04 AM
There are still many questions we would like David to answer.