PDA

View Full Version : Ducted air - advice wanted.

GazFish35
22-07-2015, 04:39 PM
Not some crazy Russian spambot.

Just finished building, looking at quotes for ducted air installation.
Anyone know anything?

We've had quotes ranging from

$8K for 2 zones, 12kW cooling/13kW heating to
$12k for 4 zones, 14kW cooling/16kW heating

We like the 4 zones as there's at least 1 room we'd like to separate in its own zone as we don't use it much.

Is the extra $4K gonna be worth it over 15-20years?

ToddG NBUnited
22-07-2015, 05:50 PM
Haven't had the chance to use it yet as we are still waiting for the ****ing land to be registered and then to build, but we ended up going with the 4 zone ducted aircon (2 zones were free) as we could have the master as one zone, home theatre as one, living areasas one, and then the other 3 bedrooms on one.

the 4 zones made more sense to us by not having to heat/cool half the house when we are only using 1/2 rooms

GazFish35
22-07-2015, 06:45 PM
That's what we're thinking.

Though the 2 zone spilt could simply be all bedrooms on one, all living on the other and leave the study/4th bed off the system.

4 zones means we can do master, living, kids beds, study.

We basically want to workout how long it will take for the extra 4K to start paying for itself by saving money not controlling the temp of rooms not being used.

northern_swan
22-07-2015, 06:56 PM
I've got 5 zones (3 beds individually, media, living area). The more zones the better I reckon. My parents place only had 3 zones, which made for a heap of wasted air on imho.

belchardo
22-07-2015, 07:15 PM
Surely the supplier could give you comparative costs based on your assumptions.

Jeterpool
22-07-2015, 07:18 PM
We've got 4 zones too. One zone remains on always and the four zones gave us more flexibility.

Over the years it'll be worth it mate

baldrick
22-07-2015, 07:36 PM
Another vote for 4 zones.

GazFish35
22-07-2015, 08:20 PM
Surely the supplier could give you comparative costs based on your assumptions.

You'd think.
But competitive quotes and information provision so we can make an informed decision doesn't seem high on the priority of some service providers in regional nsw.

hawk
22-07-2015, 09:01 PM
That's what we're thinking.

Though the 2 zone spilt could simply be all bedrooms on one, all living on the other and leave the study/4th bed off the system.

4 zones means we can do master, living, kids beds, study.

We basically want to workout how long it will take for the extra 4K to start paying for itself by saving money not controlling the temp of rooms not being used.

mate once you get it in it has to work well or youll have wasted all ya $.

Get the extra zones and if necessary take the next size up if you are not sure that the smaller one can cover the area. $ will mean jack in 3yrs.

Footyhead
22-07-2015, 09:04 PM
Go the 4 zones if you can afford it, it'll cost you more if you decide to add it later.
The AC system should be an inverter system, most domestic scale are these days, so it's energy efficient.
What brand you been quoted ? Daikin and Mitsubishi are the best.
I can vouch for Tozer Air Conditioning doing good job, as well as Air Extreme.
Heard Coolrite are good.
Make sure your outdoor unit is located somewhere that a hum does not disturb, ie not outside a bedroom window or in narrow space between colorbnd fence & house where sound can reverberate

The Dunster
22-07-2015, 09:06 PM
You'd think.
But competitive quotes and information provision so we can make an informed decision doesn't seem high on the priority of some service providers in regional nsw.

That's because domestic air-con like domestic refrigeration pays peanuts compared to what can be made via commercial / industrial installations.

The majority of the blokes doing domestic stuff are cowboys at best.

Family were in the business for around 50 years until they retired.

Footyhead
22-07-2015, 09:14 PM
That's because domestic air-con like domestic refrigeration pays peanuts compared to what can be made via commercial / industrial installations.

That's a bit rough. Some of the guys I deal with are quite good IMO. I work with both domestic and commercial

GazFish35
22-07-2015, 09:22 PM
Go the 4 zones if you can afford it, it'll cost you more if you decide to add it later.
The AC system should be an inverter system, most domestic scale are these days, so it's energy efficient.
What brand you been quoted ? Daikin and Mitsubishi are the best.
I can vouch for Tozer Air Conditioning doing good job, as well as Air Extreme.
Heard Coolrite are good.
Make sure your outdoor unit is located somewhere that a hum does not disturb, ie not outside a bedroom window or in narrow space between colorbnd fence & house where sound can reverberate

Cheers.

One quote we've had is for a daikin, the other an Aussie made "Actron" (not sure of spelling)

We've set our build up so we have a "utilities" courtyard between the garage, kitchen and study, all bedrooms are on the otherwise of the house, and courtyard has good clearance 3-4metres from the fence..... And the neighbouring block is empty.

We are leaning towards the 4 zones.

The Dunster
22-07-2015, 09:23 PM
That's a bit rough. Some of the guys I deal with are quite good IMO. I work with both domestic and commercial

I agree, some of the guys are good. Unfortunately a lot of them out there are electricians who did journeyman's courses and are essentially clueless.

The Dunster
22-07-2015, 09:25 PM
Cheers.

One quote we've had is for a daikin, the other an Aussie made "Actron" (not sure of spelling)

We've set our build up so we have a "utilities" courtyard between the garage, kitchen and study, all bedrooms are on the otherwise of the house, and courtyard has good clearance 3-4metres from the fence..... And the neighbouring block is empty.

We are leaning towards the 4 zones.

Daikin are the Rolls Royce of domestic brands. Whisper quiet and very reliable.

GazFish35
22-07-2015, 09:28 PM

We've been "home" out of the big smoke of Sydney for 18months, and have found almost every trade we've dealt with to be absolutely fantastic, trustworthy and reliable (one plumber wasn't, but he got fired) as word of mouth is so important in our smaller population.

My only gripe is getting info from people prior to committing to a contract seems to take a long time..... And I put that down to a far far far slower pace of life and less competition for our business.

Footyhead
22-07-2015, 09:35 PM

That's cos it's Japanese. Anything Japanese is good stuff, just like our Subaru and Corolla :)

Jeterpool
23-07-2015, 09:16 AM

Got a Daikin too and we're very happy with it.

That's cos it's Japanese. Anything Japanese is good stuff, just like our Subaru and Corolla :)

Jeez are my multi or something?! I've got a Subaru and Corolla too!

Frodo
23-07-2015, 09:54 AM
Slight tangent here..

I'm building this year and we've decided to save the $9k-10k they told us ducted would cost and i'm gonna fit a big 8-9kw split system in the main living space and a little system in the master bedroom after i've paid for the driveway/grass. Fan lights in the other rooms.

Does anyone else think that this is a reasonable idea? Or to reword that, can anyone tell me if it's going to be a stupid idea? (based on fact/past experience)

I did a bit of research to work out what to do but since this is my first house i'm open to any advice people have.

Jeterpool
23-07-2015, 10:00 AM
Slight tangent here..

I'm building this year and we've decided to save the $9k-10k they told us ducted would cost and i'm gonna fit a big 8-9kw split system in the main living space and a little system in the master bedroom after i've paid for the driveway/grass. Fan lights in the other rooms.

Does anyone else think that this is a reasonable idea? Or to reword that, can anyone tell me if it's going to be a stupid idea? (based on fact/past experience)

I did a bit of research to work out what to do but since this is my first house i'm open to any advice people have.

Not silly mate. What other insulation are you putting in the house? Where you are living, how cold does it get? Will you have other means of heating such as a gas heater or wood fire?

If you think the house can be "warmed" then great, and it depends on how long you're going to be there. We paid for it because it was already installed and we plan on being there for years and years. But being an old house we don't have wall insulation nor anything in the ceiling or underfloor at this stage.

We mix between the air con and the gas heater depending on the room we are in.

Frodo
23-07-2015, 10:32 AM
Not silly mate. What other insulation are you putting in the house? Where you are living, how cold does it get? Will you have other means of heating such as a gas heater or wood fire?

If you think the house can be "warmed" then great, and it depends on how long you're going to be there. We paid for it because it was already installed and we plan on being there for years and years. But being an old house we don't have wall insulation nor anything in the ceiling or underfloor at this stage.

We mix between the air con and the gas heater depending on the room we are in.

R2.0 insulation and gas heating, so heating isn't an issue the Air Con is just for cooling in summer.

I'm heading out to Gillieston Heights (AKA Gilligans Island when it rains), so it'll be a little frostier in winter and hotter in summer than my current place near the lake. However my current rental is made from paddle pop sticks and PVC glue so it's gonna be a massive step up without any heating or cooling.

Cheers.

GazFish35
23-07-2015, 10:33 AM
Having ducted on the plans you submit for your DA will impact on your BASIX which could end up costing

Frodo
23-07-2015, 10:47 AM
Having ducted on the plans you submit for your DA will impact on your BASIX which could end up costing

Do you mean if it's on the plans they send to the DA it will increase my BASIX? Because we've taken it off our final quote, which we are going through on Sat, i've just told them i'll put it in once i'm in the house, then i can just use my own guy to install it.

The Dunster
23-07-2015, 12:15 PM
I have multiple split systems in my house - works well and is reasonably efficient.

However, it looks as ugly as a gypos wife / sister from the outside of the house.

If the cost of running and maintaining a ducted system isn't an issue then ducted is very hard to beat.

However, you often find that rather than repair an old ducted system a lot of people just install split systems these days and are more than happy with the results. [ Key word being OLD ducted systems].

The reason being is that the new split systems don't cost as much to run as the older ducted systems did.

Frodo
23-07-2015, 01:10 PM
I have multiple split systems in my house - works well and is reasonably efficient.

However, it looks as ugly as a gypos wife / sister from the outside of the house.

If the cost of running and maintaining a ducted system isn't an issue then ducted is very hard to beat.

However, you often find that rather than repair an old ducted system a lot of people just install split systems these days and are more than happy with the results. [ Key word being OLD ducted systems].

The reason being is that the new split systems don't cost as much to run as the older ducted systems did.

Cheers.

Sorry for the Thread hijack Gaz.

Now to get SuperDylan to design my pool for me and i'll be set.:rof:

GazFish35
23-07-2015, 01:12 PM
Do you mean if it's on the plans they send to the DA it will increase my BASIX? Because we've taken it off our final quote, which we are going through on Sat, i've just told them i'll put it in once i'm in the house, then i can just use my own guy to install it.

Not sure about increase, as I don't know if BASIX should be high or low.
All I know is we kept our "cooling" to ceiling fans as if we had ducted on submitted plans we'd have had to increase insulation and the like.

northern_swan
23-07-2015, 01:17 PM
Can also vouch for Tozer & Dakin. We were deciding between Dakin & Actron and from memory the noise and energy efficiency was better on Dakin.

On the tangent comment, we looked at split systems and found that the price difference was negligible and air coverage was not as effective on a split system.

Jeterpool
23-07-2015, 01:26 PM
Can also vouch for Tozer & Dakin. We were deciding between Dakin & Actron and from memory the noise and energy efficiency was better on Dakin.

We found this too and was also a contributor to our decision