PDA

View Full Version : CSL Thread

pv4
17-07-2012, 07:02 AM
this will break bodi's heart:

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/245686,rostyn-my-new-best-mate-yakubu.aspx

Rostyn: My New Best Mate, Yakubu

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii553/pv4zanewy/ImageResizerashxnhttp3a2f2fihaymarketnetau2fNews2f 148141412.jpg
YAKUBU...Another high profile CSL signing

EXCLUSIVE: Aussie export Rostyn Griffiths reckons new best mate Yakubu will help ignite China's football revolution and pave the way for more big names to move east from Europe.

Former English Premier League star Yakubu has made an instant impact on his arrival in China, scoring a late winner on debut for Guangzhou R&F in Saturday's Guangzhou derby after Griffiths had himself gone close to breaking the deadlock from long range.

'The Yak' has bonded instantly with former Mariners star Griffiths largely because the pair are the only English speakers at the club.

But even Yakubu, who hit 18 goals for Blackburn Rovers last season, has been overshadowed by the hype surrounding Shanghai Shenhua's capture of Didier Drogba fresh from his UEFA Champions League triumph with Chelsea.

With Nicolas Anelka also in Shanghai and Marcello Lippi managing Griffiths's city rivals Guangzhou Evergrande, a future where Asian football starts to catch up to Europe suddenly looks a lot closer to reality thanks to the riches on offer in the Chinese Super League.

And Griffiths is watching it play out first hand.

“Yakubu reckons a lot of players he has played with are trying to get to China,” Griffiths told au.fourfourtwo.com. “I read that Drogba was saying the same thing.

"Hopefully that's the case because they certainly have everything to make the Chinese league very strong and able to attract big players.

“Of course the league is getting a lot of hype because of Yakubu's signing and the likes of Drogba. I think in China there is a feeling that it's only going to get better.

"They're talking about extending the amount of foreign players to six in each team.”

Griffiths could potentially face Drogba on debut this Sunday when Shenhua visit Guangzhou, although the defensive midfielder would rather pass up that opportunity if it means an easier ride for his team.

“Drogba has been getting the most press over here, the fans and league are very excited," said Griffiths. "There were 750 people or so at the aiport when he landed.

"His team is struggling in the league and the media has been getting on Anelka's back a bit so I think Drogba will ease the pressure off him.

"We play them next weekend so hopefully he's not ready to play yet.”

Griffiths, who was also on Blackburn's books before he started his A-League odyssey, has relished the arrival of Yakubu and the Nigerian's impact on their club.

“It's brilliant playing with the Yak,” he said. “I'm a big fan and he's a much needed boost for the team. The best bit for me is that he speaks English so it's somebody to talk to. He's a top bloke.

“It's good because he doesn't take any shit, so since he's come, the professionalism at the club has gone up big time and everybody is bending over backwards to make all the players happy.

“He's probably sick of me because I just ask him loads of questions about the Premier League. But he would have struggled without me because I have been here longer than he has so I showed him a lot.

"I joke that I'm his agent and deserve a bit of commission!”

so the yak joins drogba, anelka & griff in the csl. the interesting thing i read out of this article is the csl is looking into more foreign players for clubs. if enough clubs think this way, there's the possibility the acl will change it's foreign player rule (i guess).