PDA

View Full Version : The Gardens

Premy
30-09-2015, 09:19 PM
So I didn't know where to bring this up so I thought I would start a new thread.

Now I'm not fully privy to the whole fallout and the former ownership yada yada and would be more than happy to be informed of how it all went down.

But...
That's not why I started this thread, in the not to distant future the NSW State Government may outlaw Greyhound Racing for various reasons. Why I started this thread was, if this was to happen what would the future hold for this venue?

furns
30-09-2015, 09:27 PM
Moved to Off the Ball - not really a local football topic

hawk
30-09-2015, 09:31 PM
It will become a local football ground where you can see the game without binoculars.

defo belongs in the local thread

sammydog
30-09-2015, 10:29 PM
Depends who owns it. If the Greyhounds own the facility and they are shut down by the govt, it would likely be sold to the highest bidder and football will be no more there. Thats assuming the greyhounds own the site.

The site is currently zoned RE1 - Public Recreation, but any developer wouldn't have too much trouble having that changed if they got their hands on it after the greyhounds folded.

northern_swan
30-09-2015, 10:47 PM
It is owned by one of the greyhound bodies. Not sure which one because it has changed hands numerous times since it was purchased off the ashes of the Breakers.

q-money
30-09-2015, 11:44 PM
greyhound racin' contributes about 330 million to NSW each year, doubt you'll see the GBOTA go to the wall over this ey

MFKS
01-10-2015, 06:59 AM
As for taking the Jets back there.

Reality is it was a cluster**** of epic proportions out there back in the days of the Breakers.

Even with crowds of 4k parking was a nightmare. Getting out of Birmingham Gardens Wallsend Shortland was a ****ing disaster as the local road system is not designed for that amount of traffic.

The surface although kept in fantastic condition by the ground staff was a ****ing bog as soon as it rained.

The amount of games the Breakers had to call off when it rained lunch time Friday was absurd.

Nice neat little venue back in the day

But Football in this country has surpassed it.

GazFish35
01-10-2015, 07:04 AM
Light rail from the uni is the answer.

plague
01-10-2015, 09:07 AM
Just extend the cemetery, theres something poignant in it being the burial ground for people, greyhound racing and the glory days of newcastle football.

Premy
01-10-2015, 12:02 PM
The site is currently zoned RE1 - Public Recreation, but any developer wouldn't have too much trouble having that changed if they got their hands on it after the greyhounds folded.
Tell that to the bloke who owns Lymington Oval.

Premy
01-10-2015, 12:04 PM
As for taking the Jets back there.

Reality is it was a cluster**** of epic proportions out there back in the days of the Breakers.

Even with crowds of 4k parking was a nightmare. Getting out of Birmingham Gardens Wallsend Shortland was a ****ing disaster as the local road system is not designed for that amount of traffic.

The surface although kept in fantastic condition by the ground staff was a ****ing bog as soon as it rained.

The amount of games the Breakers had to call off when it rained lunch time Friday was absurd.

Nice neat little venue back in the day

But Football in this country has surpassed it.
Wasn't really thinking about the Jets going there hence why I started it in Local Football.

As to the Jets I personally believe their future should be at a expanded No2.

sammydog
01-10-2015, 10:32 PM
Tell that to the bloke who owns Lymington Oval.

Lymington has been zoned R2 for Low Density Residential for years. When looked at in isolation though its such a small parcel of land separated from other development that is is a shit of a block to do anything with that makes any financial sense.

The old BMX track and golf driving range are all in the same zone.

GazFish35
01-10-2015, 10:33 PM
It needs a pool.

No garden is complete without one.

sammydog
01-10-2015, 10:36 PM
It needs a pool.

Concrete or fibreglass, above or inground?

Does the swamp out the back count?

Jeterpool
02-10-2015, 07:48 AM
It needs a pool.

Concrete or fibreglass, above or inground?

Does the swamp out the back count?

Paging SD

Jetmaster
02-10-2015, 11:50 AM
Angsara Wok restaurant is moving out there during the month - great reason to get out there and watch the puppies.