PDA

View Full Version : NPL Grounds

mervan
03-11-2015, 10:10 PM
What is the consensus, are NPL clubs doing enough to improve there venues and most importantly their playing surfaces, to potentially improve the quality of the football.

front2
05-11-2015, 09:18 PM
Have been through quite a number of NPL current and former clubs change/dressing sheds over the last couple of seasons. 9 out of 10 look more like sewers with some storage space.

MFKS
05-11-2015, 09:43 PM
No way in the world

Look at the ridiculous money spent on player wages for semi pro players all in the aim of winning a trophy and 10k

Then compare it to how much is actually spent developing venues facilities etc

Chalk and cheese

Thomas477
05-11-2015, 11:13 PM
Most are council owned grounds, yeah? Why fork out your own dough for upgrades for a place you don't even own?

Retro Jet
06-11-2015, 12:37 AM
Most are council owned grounds, yeah? Why fork out your own dough for upgrades for a place you don't even own?

Not faith in tenure then???
Most clubs are institutions at their current venues. Who cares about 'ownership'?
We certainly don't...

Thomas477
06-11-2015, 08:07 AM
Most clubs are institutions at their current venues. Who cares about 'ownership'?
We certainly don't...

Not the lack of faith in their tenure, more so why pay for it yourself, when you can get council to?

Zico
06-11-2015, 10:50 AM
Spend money to make money, worked well for Magic.

MFKS
06-11-2015, 10:53 AM
Not the lack of faith in their tenure, more so why pay for it yourself, when you can get council to?

That philosophy of relying on someone else for something works how well in life??

If you want it you have to go get it and take it.

It don't fall in your lap

GO AWAY
06-11-2015, 10:55 AM
Spend money to make money, worked well for Magic.

Got to have money to spend it.

I wonder if any other ground in the region, got their lights / lumens up to fox sports expectations, built a nice grandstand etc etc, would ffa cup games, wpl games etc etc get shifted from Magic Park anyway ?

Zico
06-11-2015, 11:11 AM

I wonder if any other ground in the region, got their lights / lumens up to fox sports expectations, built a nice grandstand etc etc, would ffa cup games, wpl games etc etc get shifted from Magic Park anyway ?
Plenty of Gov grants around to apply for and although times are tough there is still plenty of coin around if you are prepared to work hard to attract sponsors.

cobra23
06-11-2015, 12:08 PM

They have not always had what your above comment says.
magic had a plan from the days when they just buit the ground,, great sponsors ,supporters,volunteers the list goes on.

it is only in the last 15 or so years they are now getting what they deserve.

Goatscheese
07-11-2015, 12:58 PM

Depends on who your mates are.

stopper2
08-11-2015, 09:47 PM
^^^
Seems to be the Newy mentality to be jealous and whinge and moan at someone else who has worked hard to be successful and achieve something rather than pull up your own sleeves and have a go!!!

late_to_the_game
09-11-2015, 10:00 AM
Adamstown - irrigation being re done, possibly drainage replaced - depends if contractor can get back here this summer, fence moved on far side of field to meet the 3 metre to edge of pitch safety requirement.

The Baby Piglet
09-11-2015, 10:11 AM
Adamstown - irrigation being re done, possibly drainage replaced - depends if contractor can get back here this summer, fence moved on far side of field to meet the 3 metre to edge of pitch safety requirement.

Will ForeverRed be in charge of overseeing the drainage replacement ??

GO AWAY
09-11-2015, 11:32 AM
Was at Lisle Carr the other day, although no improvements, the ground surface looks amazing, with nothing on it till January its only going to get better.

May be down for ground improvements after season 2016 i think.

winner
09-11-2015, 12:19 PM
Was at Lisle Carr the other day, although no improvements, the ground surface looks amazing, with nothing on it till January its only going to get better.

May be down for ground improvements after season 2016 i think.
Will Tully be spraying the ground for weeds with round up again this year?

GO AWAY
10-11-2015, 09:31 AM
Will Tully be spraying the ground for weeds with round up again this year?

Ha Ha harsh, tully has alot of help up there now, so ground will be fine

curious_fan
19-11-2015, 09:32 AM
If anyone has seen the future plan for LMCC investing in sports, especially football over the next 5-20 years most of their money will be invested in new facilities that current senior clubs will not access.

So unless clubs are currently happy with what they have the only real means forward is to plan for grants and self improvements. NewFm will be an interesting place to see improvements once Northern release what they consider and release what they deem to be the minimum level of facility requirements to be as some current requirements are near impossible based on council designs and capital investment plans.

Assessed properly, I think some NewFm clubs would find they should not even train under their current lights as one example.

Ker-Plunk
19-11-2015, 09:14 PM
ffa have a national facilities strategy in their 20 year plan . might get something out of it by the time frank lowys great grandson becomes grand poobah .

RAM
20-11-2015, 01:02 PM
We certainly don't...

if you own your ground you can make $$ off it

ownership of grounds is an important issue that sets Oz back compared to Eng etc

De-Champ
20-11-2015, 01:38 PM

ownership of grounds is an important issue that sets Oz back compared to Eng etc

You can also lose money by owning your own ground. Which is more likely in most cases.

curious_fan
20-11-2015, 04:23 PM

West Wallsend did the sums many years ago. They did have ownership of Johnston Park, it was purchased by the then publican of the Museum Hotel for the club and the club named the park after him.

The ongoing maintenance, insurance and improvements were not a viable choice for the club and so it was transferred to the Council under an agreement.

So what happens if Magic at the end of their lease are denied the right to renew? Ok, it might be 90 years away but it still has a date when it could be an issue.

Zico
20-11-2015, 05:57 PM
West Wallsend did the sums many years ago. They did have ownership of Johnston Park, it was purchased by the then publican of the Museum Hotel for the club and the club named the park after him.

The ongoing maintenance, insurance and improvements were not a viable choice for the club and so it was transferred to the Council under an agreement.

So what happens if Magic at the end of their lease are denied the right to renew? Ok, it might be 90 years away but it still has a date when it could be an issue.
The benefits are being enjoyed by Magic now so that's a nothing statement.

immersion
22-11-2015, 11:33 AM

The benefits are being enjoyed by Magic now so that's a nothing statement.

The guy is posing a hypothetical. Your response is utterly ridiculous considering that this is a discussion board.

Zico
23-11-2015, 07:15 AM
The guy is posing a hypothetical. Your response is utterly ridiculous considering that this is a discussion board.
Not at all as if you are worried about spending money on your facilities now and then losing your facilities to the local council in 50 plus years time then you will not be around in 50 plus years. Its a simple case of spending money to make money.

curious_fan
23-11-2015, 10:17 AM
Not at all as if you are worried about spending money on your facilities now and then losing your facilities to the local council in 50 plus years time then you will not be around in 50 plus years. Its a simple case of spending money to make money.

Perhaps my point was poorly worded. What I meant was, clubs are now being the main identity upon which facility improvements will occur (as Councils budgets are going elsewhere) do need to consider all factors. When we are talking about investments of tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in new floodlighting or a new clubhouse (or even expansions), new training areas etc, one factor clubs need to factor in is their actual tenure at that particular facility and what return on that investment is likely and expected.

I think it is time clubs negotiated long term leasing arrangements with Councils to ensure their future before they lock in such money to what will always be a public asset. I am not saying any Council is or would ever move a club against it will but as a business, which clubs are now, it needs come into consideration and planning. Clubs are having to work harder and harder for income to finance capital improvements and once completed immediately become Council assets, in return for that they deserve guarantees on the benefits that hard work has produced.

Of course Magic benefit now, but how many other clubs have that safety net of knowing when their lease could end and yet are still expected to build towards that same level of investment in their ground?

Stanley
23-11-2015, 01:33 PM
Perhaps my point was poorly worded. What I meant was, clubs are now being the main identity upon which facility improvements will occur (as Councils budgets are going elsewhere) do need to consider all factors. When we are talking about investments of tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in new floodlighting or a new clubhouse (or even expansions), new training areas etc, one factor clubs need to factor in is their actual tenure at that particular facility and what return on that investment is likely and expected.

I think it is time clubs negotiated long term leasing arrangements with Councils to ensure their future before they lock in such money to what will always be a public asset. I am not saying any Council is or would ever move a club against it will but as a business, which clubs are now, it needs come into consideration and planning. Clubs are having to work harder and harder for income to finance capital improvements and once completed immediately become Council assets, in return for that they deserve guarantees on the benefits that hard work has produced.

Of course Magic benefit now, but how many other clubs have that safety net of knowing when their lease could end and yet are still expected to build towards that same level of investment in their ground?

Now I am no expert on leased football facilities but wouldn’t the lessee be responsible for all running costs i.e., services (electricity, gas, water, phone etc…), facility improvements, maintenance, new infrastructure etc. At least on a Council facility while you pay a minimal hire fee you don’t have to pay for that blown floodlight, top dress, fertilise, graffiti removal, water bill, etc……

De-Champ
23-11-2015, 02:05 PM
Now I am no expert on leased football facilities but wouldn’t the lessee be responsible for all running costs i.e., services (electricity, gas, water, phone etc…), facility improvements, maintenance, new infrastructure etc. At least on a Council facility while you pay a minimal hire fee you don’t have to pay for that blown floodlight, top dress, fertilise, graffiti removal, water bill, etc……

Depends on the terms of the lease. But seriously most of the grounds in NBN if not all are very similar. I can't see much difference in Edgeworth, Rosbud, Azzurri, Lambton, Weston, Magic, Olympic etc

ForeverRed
23-11-2015, 03:45 PM

sorry but disagree with you here, clubs have a portion of each registered players rego put aside that is kept to pay for maintenance and electricity bills, clubs do pay for that blown light bulb, top dressing, fertiliser etc etc, believe me this money doesn't stretch very far, this is the case on all lake mac grounds, with my previous involvement with south cardiff the monetary input from both senior and junior football and cricket averaged around the $15k mark but hardly covered the electricity bill and minimal maintenance issues

sammydog
23-11-2015, 07:19 PM
sorry but disagree with you here, clubs have a portion of each registered players rego put aside that is kept to pay for maintenance and electricity bills, clubs do pay for that blown light bulb, top dressing, fertiliser etc etc, believe me this money doesn't stretch very far, this is the case on all lake mac grounds, with my previous involvement with south cardiff the monetary input from both senior and junior football and cricket averaged around the $15k mark but hardly covered the electricity bill and minimal maintenance issues

Yes, clubs have a portion of rego that goes into a "Council Account". This goes to paying for electricity, ground marking, maintenance etc. But, depending on how big the club is, it doesn't go very far and the clubs end up topping it up.

The bigger clubs (big as in total registered players, not the competition they play in) have money left over in these accounts at the end of the year and it can go towards facilities, or contributions towards grants or just accumulated for a specific project. Your smaller clubs end up with a much smaller initial account and end up putting contributions into it as the year progresses so the bills get paid. So for clubs controlling a ground, with small rego numbers the Council contributions, as you said, don't go very far. For the bigger clubs, the rego contribution more than covers the yearly expenses and ends up funding upgrades.

ForeverRed
23-11-2015, 08:02 PM
Totally depends on the size of the facility, south cardiff have four grounds all with lights, 4 grounds that needed maintenance all year round etc etc,

hawk
23-11-2015, 08:33 PM
now if newcastle council merges with Lake Mac this would mean better/ worse/ bout the same

Goatscheese
23-11-2015, 09:26 PM
now if newcastle council merges with Lake Mac this would mean better/ worse/ bout the same

Think that will depend on who keeps their job. From what I have seen Lake Mac appear to be helping their sporting clubs out a lot more such as Swansea, Warners Bay and Southern Beaches. Newcastle meanwhile aren't doing this to the same extent prefer to spend money on Councillors dry cleaning, business flights and redundancies on GMs.

Bremsstrahlung
24-11-2015, 01:45 AM
Lake Macquarie Multi Million Dollar Sports Upgrade Plan Jun 7 2015
LAKE Macquarie City Council has unveiled a multi-million-dollar strategy to improve sports facilities, but doubts have been raised about whether it can be accomplished.

Many sports grounds in the city have substandard infrastructure, clubs say.

The council aims to improve the situation and has a list of projects planned over the next five years.

Whether they proceed as scheduled will depend on money and the council’s capabilities, officials say.

Developer contributions will fund some projects, but others will depend on the council making money available from its ordinary budget.

Councillors will consider the strategy at a meeting on Tuesday.

Councillor Barry Johnston said he struggled to see where the money would come from for some projects.

‘‘A lot of the plans that council brings forward are very aspirational,’’ Cr Johnston said.

He said the council must be smart with how it spent its money on sporting projects.

‘‘The whole concept of developing a strategy is so the money gets spent where it will benefit the community the most, not necessarily where it’s historically been spent,’’ Cr Johnston said.

He said if participation was rising in one sport and declining in another, spending should be adjusted to suit.

A $12million recreation complex at Cameron Park is earmarked as the strategy’s first new project.

Councillor Brian Adamthwaite said the council had allocated $3.5million for the project in this year’s budget.

‘‘It’s a growing area with lots of young families and kids,’’ Cr Adamthwaite said.

Developer contributions will be used for the project.

Cameron Park Community Association chairman Patrick Mitchell said it would be ‘‘fabulous to see those sporting fields built’’.

‘‘The sooner they can build them the better,’’ Mr Mitchell said. ‘‘A lot of kids around here don’t have anything to do, and because of that they get themselves into trouble and cause havoc.’’

The plan includes a large amenities building, floodlit multi-use sports field, netball courts and a basketball court, a large park, two playgrounds, a cricket practice area and skate park.

The council hopes to finish part of the project in 2018.

Year 1 (2015-16)

Cameron Park (new sports complex) design of fields, floodlighting, car park, access road, amenities

Cardiff (Cardiff No. 1 field) construct floodlighting

Gateshead (Allen Davis Field) construct new field

Morisset (Auston Oval) construct amenities, car park, floodlighting

Speers Point (New Tredinnick Fields) construct field, irrigation

Swansea (Parbury Park) design amenities, car park

Warners Bay (John Street Fields) construct amenities, car park

Year 2 (2016-17)

Belmont (Belmont Ovals) design and construct floodlights, two fields

Charlestown (Jack Stewart Netball Courts) design of two new courts and car park

Cameron Park (new sports complex) construct fields, floodlighting, car parking, access road, amenities

Mirrabooka Quarry (new sportsfields) design of amenities, fields, floodlighting, access road, car park

Swansea (Parbury Park) construct amenities and car park

Warners Bay (Feighan Oval) design amenities and car park

Year 3 (2017-18)

Cardiff (Cardiff Ovals) design and construct floodlighting and cricket wickets

Cardiff South (Ulinga Oval) design for upgraded playing surface, drainage, irrigation

Charlestown (Jack Stewart Netball Courts) construct two new courts, upgrade car park

Cooranbong Town Common (new sports fields) design sportsfield, amenities, floodlights, access road, car park

Edgeworth (Edgeworth No. 2 Field) design of works for irrigation, drainage, floodlighting

Edgeworth (Jack McLaughlin Oval) construct amenities

Glendale (Bill Bower Fields) design and construct floodlighting

Mirrabooka Quarry (new sports fields) design for amenities, fields, floodlighting, access road, car park

Morisset (Gibson Field Netball Courts) design of new courts

Wangi Wangi (Wangi Netball Courts) design and construct floodlighting

Warners Bay (Feighan Oval) construct amenities and car park
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/3130954/lake-macquaries-sports-upgrade-plan/

So, as the title suggests, this is a "Plan". But there's a few plans in there to upgrade football facilities. Notably Edgeworth (amenities), South Cardiff (pitch - wonder if top or bottom fields or both), Warners Bay, Belmont, Morisset and Lake Mac (Tred. Oval) and Charlestown.

Thomas477
24-11-2015, 08:07 PM
Hang on, I thought Ulinga's drainage was top shelf? FR?

ForeverRed
24-11-2015, 08:10 PM
Obviously the bottom fields

Thomas477
24-11-2015, 10:01 PM
Obviously the bottom fields

Oh, fair enough. Are there plans to make them junior playing fields?

hawk
24-11-2015, 11:51 PM
Thats an outrageous plan. Lmc might get 10% up.

Cooranbong Town Common (new sports fields) design sportsfield, amenities, floodlights, access road, car park

new progress hall, covered wagons, bonnets for ladies and a steel rims for kids to roll down the st

windy2203
29-11-2015, 08:15 AM
Thats an outrageous plan. Lmc might get 10% up.

new progress hall, covered wagons, bonnets for ladies and a steel rims for kids to roll down the st

Have to agree there, as much as i would like to see the new sporting complexes in morissets surrounding areas, i cant see them doing two like they have planned.

curious_fan
29-11-2015, 09:06 AM
Have to agree there, as much as i would like to see the new sporting complexes in morissets surrounding areas, i cant see them doing two like they have planned.

Some developments are tied to progress in new estates. Cameron Park will be commenced, and it will need a few locals to step up and make sure we get a junior club in there so it isn't lost to another sport.

But at the same time look at Fletcher.... how delayed was that development with NCC in charge and no new club we had one transfer and lost a facility to baseball.

Thomas477
29-11-2015, 09:48 AM
But at the same time look at Fletcher.... how delayed was that development with NCC in charge and no new club we had one transfer and lost a facility to baseball.

Actually, a new club formed this year called Fletcher FC. However, due to backroom deals between Plattsburg and NCC, and were shunted to Federal Park.

sammydog
29-11-2015, 10:53 AM
For the Lake Macquarie Strategy through to 2020, have a read of the actual draft policy. http://www.lakemac.com.au/downloads/E0F9436513E57F4856E8B7D7D9D880D0DF260E68.pdf A lot more detail in there than the newspaper article.

It actually breaks down which facilities are being funded through s94 contributions, Voluntary Planning Agreements or which have already been allocated funds in capital works programs. I don't think that LMCC are being overly ambitious in the plan, as far as I am aware they got through most of the works in the previous plan.

Projects through to 2025 and 2030 have also been nominated, but no funding allocated.

Captain_Carl
19-11-2021, 03:01 PM
It is great to see plenty happening in the grounds improvement space. Valo’s redevelopment is going full steam ahead, Edgy got the new facility only months ago and New Lambton are getting upgrades that will help them tick the facility criteria to move into NPL.