PDA

View Full Version : Golf Thread

plague
20-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Anyone who loves getting out there for a lash or enjoys it on the tube.

plague
20-07-2012, 11:05 PM
British open. Best golf. Seeing dudes worth squillions hacking it out from knee high scrub.
Would love nothing more than my boy Adam Scott to win the jug.

seldom
21-07-2012, 01:01 AM
the british open is the one tournament where the aussies dont choke yeah ?

MFKS
21-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Love playing it

Not overtly the greatest fan of watching it though.

4 rounds of stroke I find pretty boring to watch until the Back 9 in the final round.

Watching blokes hit it down the fairway or sink putts when there isn't much at stake in the early rounds I find pretty boring.

Feel that TV should really shake up golf coverage. Many formats of the game that could be played to spike interest. Could even do something where they get 4 blokes and put them in certain parts of the course and give them 3 balls and closest to the pin wins. Show off their all round skills a bit more

Hamma12
21-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Love playing it

Not overtly the greatest fan of watching it though.

this
definitely one of most boring games too watch on tv

GazFish35
21-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Hamma, you're spelling :lolz:

Hamma12
21-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Hamma, you're spelling :lolz:

amazing things happen with beers on board

hawk
22-07-2012, 07:23 PM
the british open is the one tournament where the aussies dont choke yeah ?

Scott for the title!!

seldom
22-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Scott for the title!!

:lol:

RedMexican
22-07-2012, 08:07 PM
do play and dont mind a bit of a watch every now and then.
anyone got any favourite courses round here ?

seldom
22-07-2012, 08:09 PM
sugarloaf

skippy
23-07-2012, 03:50 AM
Greg Norman must be giving him lessons on how to close out a major

WolfMan
23-07-2012, 06:12 AM
He sounded rather upbeat in the post-Tournament press conference. I'm sure he will win a Major within the next 3 years. Classy character

BodyNovo
23-07-2012, 09:13 AM
not a golf tragic, but deary me that was painful, behind his upbeat mood you could just see the pain behind that. devastating stuff.

plague
23-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Adam Scott's prize for coming 2nd:
Lots of money to add to the lots of money he already has.
Fly to one of his many houses in his own private jet.
Have many sex with Ana Ivanovic.

Adjust your sympathy settings accordingly.

(still a brutal loss though)

RedMexican
23-07-2012, 06:16 PM
still feel bad for the bloke

parksey
23-07-2012, 06:52 PM
i had a feeling yesterday that he would find a way to lose it. isn't he a renowned choker?

WolfMan
23-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Australian golfers are renowned chokers TBF... The old "she'll be right" mentality doesn't really set you up to hold off a chasing pack.
He will come back a better all-around player from this setback. He really is one of our greatest ever talents in this sport, IMHO

seldom
23-07-2012, 09:05 PM
the next Ian Baker Finch :grin:

skippy
23-07-2012, 09:16 PM
i had a feeling yesterday that he would find a way to lose it. isn't he a renowned choker?

has won something like 80% of tournaments he has been leading into the final round, but yeah I had a feeling before the round it wasn't going to end well.

hawk
23-07-2012, 11:07 PM
sugarloaf

sugar valley, no par 5's :D
Putter from the tee on the 8th :D :D

seldom
23-07-2012, 11:20 PM
thats it sugar valley...i knew sugarloaf didnt seem right. remember playing there when i was a youngin and i remember that hole i think-tiny par 3 down hill yeah ?

RedMexican
24-07-2012, 05:49 PM
sugar valley, no par 5's :D
Putter from the tee on the 8th :D :D

where is this sugar valley, yous all speak of, have heard its a bit of a goat track lol

Hamma12
24-07-2012, 05:49 PM
where is this sugar valley, yous all speak of, have heard its a bit of a goat track lol

west wallsend i believe

RedMexican
24-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Eff that, worst town

Hamma12
24-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Eff that, worst town

:lol: poor old westy wallsend

RedMexican
24-07-2012, 05:56 PM
:lol: poor old westy wallsend

no poor old westy about hamma12

evolution
24-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Mostly play Royal Toronto, but do have the occasional hit at Waratah, Charlestown and Morrisett. Did have a round out at Merewether the other day which was pretty good too.

q-money
24-07-2012, 09:25 PM
play steelworks with the old man when i'm back in newy and have the time

i quite enjoy it, but i know a few people out there loathe the place

played a mizuno mx-500 with a 10.5 loft last time out, so good, sounds like a ****ing gunshot

GazFish35
24-07-2012, 10:02 PM
west wallsend i believe

Can remember when playing for Westy, one year when wet, we ran fom wembley across the flooding golf course to the high school to train on op of the hill. On the way back the old timber bridges on the course were completely submerged.... One of the guys boasting local knowledge vowed to lead us through the swollen creeks across the bridges that "would only be ankle deep so long as you know where they are".... He sank like a stone after running at full pace, at the creek, where he thought the bridge was, missed it by a foot, and ended up 30metres down stream, stopped by the next bridge.

Went back months later for a game of golf.
Royal Krambach is possibly the only the course worse.
http://krambachgolfclub.yolasite.com/pictures-of-course.php

MFKS
25-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Haven'y played Krambach but have heard reports from others how they have wire fences around greens to keep the wild life off them and other comments who believe it is the worst joint they have ever set foot on.

Have played about 95 course around Australia. Nearly all of them on the Gypo coast and Hunter Valley and most up the Nth Coast a few in Brissy Sydney down the Sth Coast Murray River and Sunshine and Gold Coast also

Worst 5

Stroud - Absolute goat track. Greens like a cricket pitch. Played 4 man Ambrose there one day and one put went to the left one to the right the next jumped over the hole and the next would go backwards!!!

Dungog - Had a shit of a time getting to it and then played like I had just discovered the game

Sandbar - 20 mins south of Forster off the Lakes Way is a caravan park called Sandbar on the Smiths Lake. Have a little 9 holer in there in the scrub. Bugdet operation and shows in the level of quality

Nambour - Sunshine Coast Home to former PM Rudd but no government handouts for this joint. Real Mountain goat country. Rough as guts quality and a real I have played this and am never going back

Beerwah - Sunshine Coast - Had a shit of a time there bad golf/coming down with flu/ weather / course conditions

Best 5

Yarrawonga - On the NSW side of the Murray River 45 holes accomodation club. Pull up and spend a week playing golf with out leaving site. Magic

Coolangatta Tweed Heads - 36 Holes on the Tweed River. Played well when I have been there so maybe why I like it

Merimbula - Sth Coast - 27 Holes very similar style to Nelson Bay GC

Asquith - Hornsby region - Tight little joint challenging also

Pacific Harbour - Bribie Island nth of Brisbane - Hardest golf course I have ever played - 80 km winds most of the time - undulating greens with numerous tiers - rock hard and lightening fast greens - bunkers every where with massive lips - water every where - scrub everywhere just a true brutal test of your golf game. Played there one day and had 92 of the stick (Handicap of 12) so that is 8 over par for me so normally be highly pissed about life but I played well it is just brutal

My fave 5 in Hunter and Gypo land region

Hunter Valley Crowne Plaza
Springs (Central Coast)
Pacific Dunes
Nelson Bay
MUswellbrook

goaliepersempre
25-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Muswellbrook :cool:

RedMexican
25-07-2012, 08:51 PM

played a mizuno mx-500 with a 10.5 loft last time out, so good, sounds like a ****ing gunshot

hahaha, a bloke i play with has the taylormade R11 driver, sounds like this aswell. worst sound. haha

has anyone played shelley beach in gypo land ?, will be playing pacific dunes in 2 weeks, cant wait. usually play on sundays when i can find a place to tee off early enough.
anyone on ere, keen on a round ?

pv4
25-07-2012, 09:04 PM
has anyone played shelley beach in gypo land ?

I had my heart ripped into a thousand pieces by a woman on that beach

:truestory:

seldom
25-07-2012, 09:07 PM

tried playing there a couple of times until mosquitos the size of pigeons carried me away

RedMexican
25-07-2012, 10:47 PM
i had my heart ripped into a thousand pieces by a woman on that beach

:truestory:

dtmc

pv4
26-07-2012, 08:42 AM
dtmc

camb

MFKS
26-07-2012, 11:15 AM
hahaha, a bloke i play with has the taylormade R11 driver, sounds like this aswell. worst sound. haha

has anyone played shelley beach in gypo land ?, will be playing pacific dunes in 2 weeks, cant wait. usually play on sundays when i can find a place to tee off early enough.
anyone on ere, keen on a round ?

HAve played there at Tuggerah Lakes. Not the worst track in the world. A lot like Belmont wide open in a lot of spots. Wind can seriously effect game as it is right on the coast like Belmont. I rate it a little higher than Belmont which for some reason others rate pretty highly?? Reason for this is that Tuggerah have 3-4 holes that run parralel to the beach and the style of holes is interesting and challenging. Belmonts holes that run along the beach 8th - 15th -16th are just plain and uninspiring where so much more could be done to make them memorable holes.

Speaking of memorable holes down at Narooma there is a Par 3 where you tee out over the ocean and the green is on a cliff edge and the tee is on another cliff edge. Some days you play and it is a PW or 9 Iron others a 3 Wood depending on wind direction. Short and ball is gone left and ball is gone long and ball is gone. You also have to hit according to the waves hitting the rocks as they cause the ball flight to be sucked down prematurely. Magic hole.

Having another game there in September this year

Paul Hogan filmed an ad there in the 70s-80s

plague
26-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Have never hit the ball well at Belmont.
Bhah. Something in my head.
Hate the place.
Been spending a bit of time at Charlestown (provided its dry).
Summertimes used to be grand, leave work early arvo, get a quick 9 or 11 in at Bero on way home.
Alas those days are over.
What do you like about Crowne Plaza MFKS? Never played there for some reason everytime we head up that way it's always to Vintage.

MFKS
26-07-2012, 12:34 PM
What do you like about Crowne Plaza MFKS?

Value is good usually get a game there for $40-$50 with a cart where as other joints like the Vintage you are looking at $80 -$100 so these guys have really hit the nail on the head with their pricing. The $100 joints tend to keep you away from playing their regularly due to the price but the price Crowne Plaza is at it is always appealing to the serious and semi serious golfers out there.

Course is also extremely playable. When you go to the likes of the Vintage Kooindah Waters Pacific Dunes and other such resort courses you really have to bring your A game with you. These courses are actually designed for the blokes playing off single figure handicaps and not for the regular bloke who has a game a week and plays off 10>>36. The stupidity of it when most blokes who play there are these blokes and not the good golfers out there!!

Hitting the ball sideways and not striking the ball well all day make for pretty miserable golfing as these courses really do punish the life out of you. At Crowne yes there is water yes there is some hard holes but the possibilities are there to make a couple of birdies and some pars. Where as going to the resort style of course birdies are almost as rare as Joel Griffo sightings in Newy this year and pars are also hard to come by and you can easily chalk up 7-8-9-etc in the blink of an eye several times during the round.

That also said Crowne isn't the longest course in the world which I also find good. It irritates me with Golf Course design why the idea to make them harder is to make them longer. Designing hazards and having to hit to certain areas on the course can protect the course much better than distance. I hate having to smash my driver and then a 3 wood at the green 10 times around. I do have 14 clubs in the bag and would like to use most of them!! Crowne gives you the opportunity to play Drivers 3 Woods and Irons off the tee on many holes as well as hit a variety of clubs into the green. Par 3's are also quite playable

The place is pretty flat to so I wouldn't recommend playing after rain. It dries out alright but give it a miss if it rains overnight heavily as it retains puddles well!!

RedMexican
07-08-2012, 06:29 PM
camb

:wacko:

hawk
12-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Scott, can he do it again.

plague
12-08-2012, 10:28 PM
Worked for McIlroy last year. Hope it works for Scott this year.
Probs still **** it up though.

Chadandkira12
24-09-2012, 07:59 PM
I use to play comp but now cant because of work.My dads club champion but the good golf stopped at him my lowest handicap was 12.My favourite course around here is Newcastle.Favourute course in aus that I have played would be lakelands in qld designed by jack nicoulas played with mark woodbridge that day too

RedMexican
24-09-2012, 08:14 PM
since last posting here i have played magenta shores down in gypo land and well all i can say is that, the place is absolutely amazing, ungelated fairways, greens guarded by 5+ft deep bunkers, it was awesome. the greens were so fast it was ridiculous.
I am playing macquarie links on saturday in sydney, hoping the weather stays glorious.

Bon
25-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Yeah my ex used to work down at Magenta Shores behind the bar.. Pretty damn amazing course, but god-damn do you pay for it..

I used to do golf for sport when I was down at Mo-town high.. Would play the first few holes until we were out of sight of the teachers and then we would go swimming in the massive dam, collect balls and hock them back to the club.. hahaha..
I would say the best course I've played was up at Bonville, absolutely pristine course..

RedMexican
25-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Yeah my ex used to work down at Magenta Shores behind the bar.. Pretty damn amazing course, but god-damn do you pay for it..

I used to do golf for sport when I was down at Mo-town high.. Would play the first few holes until we were out of sight of the teachers and then we would go swimming in the massive dam, collect balls and hock them back to the club.. hahaha..
I would say the best course I've played was up at Bonville, absolutely pristine course..

yeah, it is hard to put into words how hard good it is.
i got a ripper of a deal through drummond and only had to pay 55 bucks :)

yeah, ive got a few courses on my list, great rounds im learning is a pretty good website to be intouch with

plague
04-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Seriously, are any rich people better at spending their coin than pro golfers?

Tiger flies chicks in from all over the world to **** them.

Stuart Appleby makes a ute out of a BMW M3.

Laura Davies races Ferrari's.

Now Bubba Watson has gone and made himself a hovercraft golf cart.
(Will try and link footage when I'm home)

Deadest legends

MFKS
04-04-2013, 12:29 PM
Now Bubba Watson has gone and made himself a hovercraft golf cart.
(Will try and link footage when I'm home)

Deadest legends

But with his propensity for being wayward off the tee a hovercraft golf cart ain't gonna help him much at all.

Golf Balls that float and an ability to walk on water are still required.

plague
04-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Heres Bubbas hovercraft
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/dr/pga/sites/default/files/imagecache/blog_large/blogs/Bubba-Watson-Hovercraft.jpg

RedMexican
05-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Heres Bubbas hovercraft
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/dr/pga/sites/default/files/imagecache/blog_large/blogs/Bubba-Watson-Hovercraft.jpg

How god damn ****ing awesome is it haha

hawk
16-04-2013, 09:14 AM
some adam dude won some boring small ball game somewhere

Jeterpool
16-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Cool. Does he have a hovercraft too?

hawk
28-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Ryder Cup. Europe has active support. geez.

Serd1
24-10-2014, 01:59 PM
I enjoy playing, and i can watch any sport on TV..
Broken a few clubs in the past, but thats my temper coming into play... Four...

leftrightout
22-06-2015, 08:41 AM
Rory making things very interesting this morning!
Could be one of the greatest ever final rounds... Lets hope Day and hold them all off.

Bon
15-08-2015, 06:15 PM
Well, it appears that a new female golf sensation is doing the social media rounds..
Paige Spiranac..

I'll let you do your own google "research".. Natalie Gulbis has some competition now.. hahaha

plague
05-04-2018, 10:21 PM
ok ok ok.
i know the Masters is upon us.

but

Is Ricky Fowler legit dating Alison Stokke?

**** the green jacket, the bloke has already won.

plague
01-08-2018, 10:16 PM
This Jarrod Lyle news is legit heartbreaking.

Jeterpool
02-08-2018, 05:59 AM

Cancer doesn't discriminate.

The Dunster
02-08-2018, 09:33 AM
Well, it appears that a new female golf sensation is doing the social media rounds..
Paige Spiranac..

Night putting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPoKd0YUgfM

PC14
02-08-2018, 10:29 AM

I've followed Jarrod Lyle and his story since my early teens. I played a lot of golf when I was young and this guy, very early on, put the game in perspective for me.

I read this article by Ben Everill, a fellow Aussie writing for the PGA Tour, and feel that it aptly describes the Jarrod, his career and his battle. More importantly, it shows how respected and loved he was both by the players and the wider tour community.

https://www.pgatour.com/tour-insider/2018/08/01/jarrod-lyle-inspiration-to-all-cancer-battle.html

MFKS
23-09-2018, 07:29 PM
3 shot lead going into the final round of the Tour Championship and a string of getting his name on the leaderboard and it is safe to say it would appear the Nike Sex Addict is back

Cant understate this enough but for this bloke to get back to being a gun golfer again is one of the biggest stories ever considering all he has been through

Hopefully he can get that trophy tomorrow morning

plague
23-09-2018, 08:39 PM
Hopefully he can get that trophy tomorrow morning

amen.

The Dunster
23-09-2018, 10:44 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/1pz741.jpg

Bon
24-09-2018, 08:18 AM
:lulzturtle:

Come on Tiger!

MFKS
24-09-2018, 08:18 AM
He done it

How this bloke hascome back from 4 years in the wilderness after countless back surgeries is amazing

This is a greater comeback thn the day Floyd Landis temporarily turned the Tour de France around years ago

plague
28-09-2018, 11:34 PM
The Ryder Cup is so much better on European soil, as the dickhead Americans are the minority.
mind, they still are loud enough that you can hear their dickheadness, but its mostly tolerable.

Bremsstrahlung
08-10-2018, 12:49 AM
Hazard scores again.

skippy
13-02-2019, 08:14 PM
Aye boys what’s the good word? Anyway got some new wrenches this week looking at getting back into golf, what’s the bets course/options for a bloke who would like to ply in some competitions but mainly social and get a handicap?

The Dunster
13-02-2019, 09:25 PM
Aye boys what’s the good word? Anyway got some new wrenches this week looking at getting back into golf, what’s the bets course/options for a bloke who would like to ply in some competitions but mainly social and get a handicap?

I ride past East Maitland and Beresfield quite often and they look pretty good for a hit. Haven't been there for years but Morrisett used to be a nice course as well.

Belmonts boring as bat shit with the only challenge being the wind - if it's not blowing too hard it's a piece of piss. If a big southerly is blowing the 1st hole is soul destroying

Newcastle is expensive and takes a bit of effort to get a game there - Steel Works has mozzies that could bring down a single engine Cessna.

Charlestown was designed by goats for goats. It's horrible.

Merewether, I've never played but most golf tragics I know don't rate it very highly.

Sugar Valley is another that's pretty easy to get a game at - short course, very tight...from memory but haven't been there in maybe 30 years.

Cockle Creek / Waratah is probably my favourite course in Newcastle. It's got some great par fives and very fun par 3's - and in general not overly expensive.

I've never played any of the resort courses around the hunter or Port Stephens so others would be better qualified to provide info.

plague
13-02-2019, 10:36 PM
If you want to join a club and play comp, Merewether have some really good packages there designed for most peoples likes/budgets. They def have the most 'younger' players so you dont get stuck with some old fossil enforcing every unknown rule every week.

For a social golfer Waratah is fantastic and is possibly the most accessible to get on at a decent hour.

Dunster is pretty spot on with the rest of his descriptions (I like Merewther though, its fairly narrow and the par 3s are trickier than they look).

Also, get on any and all mailing lists you can for golf shops/companies/courses. the valley resort courses have specials all the time if you can get 2 or 4 players on a weekday it's a fantastic day out for a decent price.. Make the loser the designated driver and get on the piss while you're out there.

evolution
14-02-2019, 09:56 AM
Royal Toronto is my course of choice locally, pretty casual and cruisy there not like the stuck-up c*nts I've experience at Waratah. Seriously it's Argenton not Augusta.

Toronto has improved heaps over the last few years but still some work to on a couple of holes, however $13 for 18 holes after 3pm can't be beat in daylight savings. Did hit my first ever hole-in-one on the 15th there the other day as well :cool: :fap:

Shortland Waters is meant to be re-opening soon and is now my closest course to home so might have to check it out.

q-money
14-02-2019, 10:44 AM
My old man is a member at Shortland Waters, i play most times i go back up to Newy.

Membership is reasonable but they're in a bit of financial strife with the Aveo thing so keep that in mind.

The new holes they've put in are completely different to the rest of the course, almost like links. no trees, windy AF and a total blast to play, breaks up the round a bit

Mosquitos weren't too bad this summer but it didn't rain much until recently. probably horrific at present

I play the resort courses with my old man once a month, Kooindah Waters after it's been raining was torture, one of the toughest joints i've ever played. had a ball though hahaa

The Dunster
14-02-2019, 10:48 AM
Found this site listing all the hunter Golf Courses with a bit of a write up on them.

https://www.ausgolf.com.au/guide/region/HunterValley

Bon
14-02-2019, 10:53 AM
Toronto has improved heaps over the last few years but still some work to on a couple of holes, however $13 for 18 holes after 3pm can't be beat in daylight savings. Did hit my first ever hole-in-one on the 15th there the other day as well :cool: :fap:

Bloody hell, congrats man!! That's massive..
I haven't played the Tronno course in years.. I've got a cousin who still jokingly claims its the best course in the world - all cause he hired clubs there, and they were a brand new set.. Not a hard bloke to please..

Premy
14-02-2019, 04:03 PM
Cockle Creek / Waratah is probably my favourite course in Newcastle. It's got some great par fives and very fun par 3's - and in general not overly expensive.
I'm in the process of organizing a season launch/Golf day/luncheon for our Football Club at the moment and to say that these guys have been really helpful is and absolute understatement.
The General Manager is a Football tragic and just seems like a really top bloke, I'm no Golf guru but from my dealings so far with these guys I cannot recommend them enough.

MFKS
14-02-2019, 06:57 PM

Go join a Social Golf Club

Most will play around Newy and the Hunter every 2/3/4 weeks on Sunday mornings

No great start up fees

You turn up

You play and you pay

Semi competitive which will help you get to grip with rules scoring etc

If you like it that much then go join a club

pv4
14-02-2019, 08:03 PM
Royal Toronto is my course of choice locally, pretty casual and cruisy there not like the stuck-up c*nts I've experience at Waratah. Seriously it's Argenton not Augusta.

Shortland Waters is meant to be re-opening soon and is now my closest course to home so might have to check it out.

Interesting Dunst listed Morisset but not Toronto. I had always vibed around this area that Toronto was supremely better out of the two.

Bon
15-02-2019, 07:57 AM
Interesting Dunst listed Morisset but not Toronto. I had always vibed around this area that Toronto was supremely better out of the two.

No way...

evolution
15-02-2019, 09:53 AM

Granted I haven't played at Morisset for a couple of years so don't know what it's like now but I've always rated Toronto higher.

The Dunster
15-02-2019, 10:25 AM
Granted I haven't played at Morisset for a couple of years so don't know what it's like now but I've always rated Toronto higher.

I totally forgot about Toronto. It's a nice course.

Bon
15-02-2019, 10:29 AM
There is no way in hell that Tronno is better than Mo-town.. haha..
Unless things have changed greatly over the last 15 years since I was last at either..

MFKS
15-02-2019, 11:18 AM
There is no way in hell that Tronno is better than Mo-town.. haha..
Unless things have changed greatly over the last 15 years since I was last at either..

Soon as it rains at Tronno in winter time it a bog for 3 months

Drainage is poor and a lack of sunlight sees it wet for months

Potentially it a better course

But need to fix this basic problem first

MFKS
15-04-2019, 01:31 PM
Tiger Tiger Tiger

plague
15-04-2019, 02:23 PM
Tiger Tiger Tiger

Was so good to watch. People out there saying 'Molinari bottled it' but truth is he cracked under Tigers pressure. Simple as that.
Even though Keopka and DJ were in the other group they were still getting rattled by the constant cheering flowing across the course.

Good for Jason Day too, played well.

q-money
15-04-2019, 09:51 PM
molinari was ripping on saturday and through the front this morning. easily best player over the weekend but not where it counted

also how good finau & day's Air Max's - bringing lad culture to the greens all about it

Jetmaster
17-04-2019, 03:31 PM
For the older sweats.

Who remembers the 18 hole course in the middle of the Newcastle Racecourse?

The Dunster
17-04-2019, 04:29 PM
For the older sweats.

It moved to Fern Bay before WW1 ffs.

I have met old blokes who played at Waratah before it was at Cockle Creek

pv4
17-04-2019, 06:29 PM

Did you enjoy it

MFKS
17-04-2019, 07:16 PM

I have met old blokes who played at Waratah before it was at Cockle Creek
Where Dangar Park.is now a day if I remember right

plague
17-04-2019, 08:05 PM
Did you enjoy it

came here to throw one out, saw this and had a cigarette instead.
bless some of you lads for doing the heavy lifting.

pv4
18-04-2019, 09:09 AM
came here to throw one out, saw this and had a cigarette instead.
bless some of you lads for doing the heavy lifting.

What Would Plaguesey Do gets me thru so many life experiences.

The Ghost
18-04-2019, 09:36 AM
For the older sweats.

Yep..par 3's all around with the little caravan for refreshments after a round in Christmas school holidays in the baking heat.

Jetmaster
18-04-2019, 09:25 PM
Yep..par 3's all around with the little caravan for refreshments after a round in Christmas school holidays in the baking heat.

Yep...flat as a tack, no trees....two bunkers, and one big water hazard. Great fun wedging out of the cinders track. Learnt to swing a club at that joint.

plague
18-04-2019, 09:32 PM
What Would Plaguesey Do gets me thru so many life experiences.

the answer is generally cocaine and gambling.

The Dunster
19-04-2019, 09:08 AM
Yep...flat as a tack, no trees....two bunkers, and one big water hazard. Great fun wedging out of the cinders track. Learnt to swing a club at that joint.

When did it close down ? It must have been before I came to Newie.

The Ghost
19-04-2019, 10:05 AM
When did it close down ? It must have been before I came to Newie.

The Jockey Club closed it in 1980 or so according to a old Herald article

evolution
21-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Morisset golf club closing in August, will have to get out there for one last hit.

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/6134295/morisset-golf-club-to-close/?cs=7580

MFKS
21-05-2019, 03:02 PM
Morisset golf club closing in August, will have to get out there for one last hit.

Can't say I will miss it

**** of a course

Must have hit nearly every ****ing tree on it at some point

Bon
21-05-2019, 03:32 PM

It's a bloody sad day..

The Dunster
22-05-2019, 08:53 AM
https://www.golfindustrycentral.com.au/golf-industry-news/land-owner-drysdale-metals-has-directed-morisset-country-club-to-vacate-premises-on-august-15/

The owner of the land Drysdale Metals can't justify the expense of owning the land in its current configuration.

They tried to get it rezoned in 2013 but met opposition and their requests were denied.

I'd say the state government has probably backed something this time to circumvent local council and so on blocking a new development / venture.

Sad to see it go but 30 years is a long time to run a business or hold an asset that doesn't make a profit or even wipe its own face.

Hopefully they build us an F1 / V8 Super Car track - or anything really that can actually entertain, make money, and create jobs.

q-money
22-05-2019, 11:31 AM
what's everyone using atm

ping K15s
mizuno MX560 driver & ST180 fairway
taylor made M4 rescue
odyssey white hot RX1 putter

none of which helps me whatsoever to score, very good at putting them in trees & dams though

plague
22-05-2019, 11:43 AM
I've restocked my wedges over last few months. Worst part of my game. Been getting some real good advice and picked up awesome Cleveland 56 and 60 degree wedges. The 56 is low bounce and improved me immediately. The 60 is a high bounce lob so between those two I'm now way more confident with those tricky short chips.

Ditched my hybrid 3 in favour of trying to master a 4 iron. Still a work in progress.

q-money
22-05-2019, 12:07 PM
I've restocked my wedges over last few months. Worst part of my game. Been getting some real good advice and picked up awesome Cleveland 56 and 60 degree wedges. The 56 is low bounce and improved me immediately. The 60 is a high bounce lob so between those two I'm now way more confident with those tricky short chips.

Ditched my hybrid 3 in favour of trying to master a 4 iron. Still a work in progress.

i've got a cleveland 50 and a wilson staff lob wedge. i hit them great at the range then always undercut them or dolly them on course. ruinous things they are

best club in my bag is the gap wedge, brilliant club

The Dunster
22-05-2019, 12:21 PM
Drive for show putt for dough.

evolution
22-05-2019, 12:28 PM

I love my Callaway 60 degree lob wedge. Improved my short game heaps, I used to just putt when just off the green but I'm more confident with a chip now.

Still can't hit my f#@king hybrid though, think I'm going to chuck it and get a 5 wood instead.

plague
22-05-2019, 12:37 PM
i've got a cleveland 50 and a wilson staff lob wedge. i hit them great at the range then always undercut them or dolly them on course. ruinous things they are

best club in my bag is the gap wedge, brilliant club

if you are hitting off firm fringes around greens (very oz type conditions) look into your bounce and learn how to hit an open stance. i got a good lesson on it on day and between the 56 and 60 wedge, if its firm fairway or fluffy lie one of the clubs is perfect for it. means you can use the same stance/swing on every shot which makes you way more consistent from anywhere within about 30m of the flag.

even carry 2 x 56 wedges in the bag (dont worry bag still has only 14 clubs) one for bunkers one for chipping. essentially the same clubs but for some reason they work different (which is all in my head).
looked at quite a few online tutorials on chipping and everyone was crapping on about front of stance back of stance, hands up and down the shafts all manner of craziness. lesson i got was pretty much exact opposite and its worked a treat.

best advice you can get is how to declutter everything and not overthink.

plague
22-05-2019, 12:39 PM
Still can't hit my f#@king hybrid though, think I'm going to chuck it and get a 5 wood instead.

best advice on hybrids is always hit them like irons, not woods. gentler swing, let the club do the work. stick with it, hybrids are dope.

q-money
22-05-2019, 01:14 PM
best advice on hybrids is always hit them like irons, not woods. gentler swing, let the club do the work. stick with it, hybrids are dope.

my problem with the ping hybrids i had was the way they addressed, always looked wrong when they sat on the ground and subconsciously made me open my hands to try and see the loft.

moved to the taylor made and haven't looked back. amazing how much of the game is between your ears.

MFKS
22-05-2019, 05:03 PM
if you are hitting off firm fringes around greens (very oz type conditions) look into your bounce and learn how to hit an open stance. i got a good lesson on it on day and between the 56 and 60 wedge, if its firm fairway or fluffy lie one of the clubs is perfect for it. means you can use the same stance/swing on every shot which makes you way more consistent from anywhere within about 30m of the flag.

even carry 2 x 56 wedges in the bag (dont worry bag still has only 14 clubs) one for bunkers one for chipping. essentially the same clubs but for some reason they work different (which is all in my head).
looked at quite a few online tutorials on chipping and everyone was crapping on about front of stance back of stance, hands up and down the shafts all manner of craziness. lesson i got was pretty much exact opposite and its worked a treat.

best advice you can get is how to declutter everything and not overthink.

Bullshit

If you off the green and it can be putted you put
If you can't put it you take an iron with as low a loft as you need to chip it and try and keep it as close to a putt like stroke as possible
If you can't do that it then when you start to use some loft

Reality is unless you are a 12 or under player you shouldn't have a lob wedge or a gap wedge in your possession

Keep the ****er on the ground FFS

Every ****er buys a lob wedge and then thinks they are you Phil Mickelson

plague
22-05-2019, 05:12 PM
Bullshit

If you can't put it you take an iron with as low a loft as you need to chip it and try and keep it as close to a putt like stroke as possible

Reality is unless you are a 12 or under player you shouldn't have a lob wedge or a gap wedge in your possession

So you just run the putt up through the bunkers or skim it across the water hazards?

You sound like a very good and magical golfer congrats.

MFKS
22-05-2019, 07:00 PM
So you just run the putt up through the bunkers or skim it across the water hazards?

You sound like a very good and magical golfer congrats.

Your not meant to be there are you??

plague
22-05-2019, 08:19 PM
Your not meant to be there are you??

You're not meant to spell it like that but we cant all be fantastic can we?

q-money
22-05-2019, 09:41 PM

completely disagree on the gap wedge. i hit mine 100 consistently with a beaut trajectory (the only club in the bag which does it).

lob wedge agree massively though, but pry it out of my cold dead hands

the crowd demands you play the lob. chipping with low irons is the cowards way, like taking a short priced Duet

The Dunster
23-05-2019, 10:57 AM
I know someone that carried 7 clubs who played off 4.
And his clubs were just regular clubs - no trick hi-tech drivers or any thing similar.
He didn't like spending money so he used to join the cheapest affiliated club he could find [usually Stroud] then play as a guest at the better clubs whenever they had a deal / discount on for affiliated players.
He couldn't drive far - maybe 220m at the most - but did it every time - straight down the middle.

MFKS
23-05-2019, 10:59 AM
I know someone that carried 7 clubs who played off 4.
And his clubs were just regular clubs - no trick hi-tech drivers or any thing similar.
He didn't like spending money so he used to join the cheapest affiliated club he could find [usually Stroud] then play as a guest at the better clubs whenever they had a deal / discount on for affiliated players.

Precisely right

Have went and had a game one day with just a 5 iron

Managed to shoot more or less the same score I do anyway

Only having the 1 club just means you get a little more inventive with your shots

The other 13 clubs are really there just to.confuse you

The Dunster
23-05-2019, 11:16 AM
Bullshit

Agreed. I started playing golf at 6 years of age and this is exactly what I was taught.
The logic is that your worst putt isn't as bad as your worst chip.

plague
23-05-2019, 11:23 AM
Have went and had a game one day with just a 5 iron

Managed to shoot more or less the same score I do anyway

120 comes in all shapes and sizes huh pal?

q-money
23-05-2019, 11:23 AM
i have the RIGHT to carry my lob wedge and none of you will EVER take it away from me

plague
23-05-2019, 11:34 AM
i have the RIGHT to carry my lob wedge and none of you will EVER take it away from me

cold dead hand etc etc etc

MFKS
23-05-2019, 12:08 PM
120 comes in all shapes and sizes huh pal?

I like beer too much so I don't get to 120 as that requires me to leave the 19th and start playing a 2nd 18 holes

The Dunster
23-05-2019, 01:45 PM
https://static.stihl.com/upload/assetmanager/modell_imagefilename/scaled/zoom/6d2c857646c74c06b70d2c14e5386362.jpg

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1yvmXjOqAXuNjy1Xdq6yYcVXaj/Adult-Underwater-Scuba-Diving-Snorkel-Tempered-Glass-Half-Dry-Dive-Mask-Snorkel-Swimming-Diving-Sports-Training.jpg_640x640.jpg

Far more useful than any lob wedge.

Jetmaster
26-05-2019, 01:22 PM
On my honeymoon in Fiji yonks ago I went to play the resort 9 holer.

They gave me a putter, a 7 iron and three balls.....

Bremsstrahlung
02-08-2019, 05:34 AM
So I think I’m gonna try and start dedicating some time to hit a ball away from me and walk after it and repeat.
In terms of a beginner set, is eBay/gumtree a okay spot to pick something up? Or are they notoriously shit.
Don’t really wanna spend too much on a new set until I’m sure I’m not gonna trash em hitting the ball.

Anything to look out for?

MFKS
02-08-2019, 10:39 AM
So I think I’m gonna try and start dedicating some time to hit a ball away from me and walk after it and repeat.
In terms of a beginner set, is eBay/gumtree a okay spot to pick something up? Or are they notoriously shit.
Don’t really wanna spend too much on a new set until I’m sure I’m not gonna trash em hitting the ball.

Anything to look out for?

If that is your focus then you should be fine. Maybe expand your search to pro shops at Golf Clubs and enquire at Drummond and Golf Mart about old sets

I know they do deals for trade ins and they most likely have 2nd hand sets available

No idea on price expectations

Other place to look is your standard pawn shops

plague
02-08-2019, 12:46 PM
the best money you can spend before even thinking about clubs is go to a course or a driving range and get one lesson. walk in, be honest, and say 'just starting, im here to get advice on clubs'. the teacher will then give you the best advice you'll ever get, because if you start out at least being able to hit the ball correctly, you'll go a long long way to enjoying yourself, which is what golf should be about.

someone can have a $900 driver on sale on ebay for $100 but if it doesnt match your swing then its pointless. a pro will tell you what to look for in clubs, then you can start building your arsenal up without wasting money on clubs that wont suit you.

just remember if you go for advice at a golf shop they are designed to sell you something, so the advice may not always be in 'your' best interest. A range/pro shop generally will want you falling in love with the game so you'll go play their courses and driving ranges.

plus once you start playing, ask your playing partners for a hit of their clubs, 99% of people wont care (dont play golf with the other 1%, those people are assholes).

plague
02-08-2019, 12:47 PM
also, the blokes i play with are ebay/gumtree demons. they are always picking real good stuff up at cheap prices, but they know what they are looking for.

its prob all stolen, but still.

The Dunster
02-08-2019, 01:16 PM
If club technology was important everyone would be playing off scratch - which is clearly not the case.
As Plague said - get a lesson and some advice from a professional - it will save you a fortune in the long run.

q-money
02-08-2019, 02:37 PM
technology might not be important but f*ck me dead it's great hitting an M5 compared to some shit you found on the side of the road

gumtree is legit for clubs if you know what you are looking for

plague
02-08-2019, 02:43 PM
technology might not be important but f*ck me dead it's great hitting an M1 compared to some shit you found on the side of the road

im def in the boat of 'tech is good', but was more trying to explain that if you get the same driver with 2 different flex shafts they will feel completely different.
If you match the right flex to your swing then it will cut down on the guesswork.

Did you recently get new irons too? Thinking of updating my 5 and 6. FInally getting them to go as far as they can but think some newer versions might give me a bit more grunt.

q-money
02-08-2019, 03:02 PM
im def in the boat of 'tech is good', but was more trying to explain that if you get the same driver with 2 different flex shafts they will feel completely different.
If you match the right flex to your swing then it will cut down on the guesswork.

Did you recently get new irons too? Thinking of updating my 5 and 6. FInally getting them to go as far as they can but think some newer versions might give me a bit more grunt.

definitely, i was just defending how good it is to spend money on ridiculous shit

still playing the same irons, they're on the slower side of a regular flex though. i should probably go dump some coin on a fitting/matching, i think i swing too hard for most of the sticks

i've been working on shape a bit at the range. hasn't helped my game but it feels nice to launch a beautiful fade...

then go on course and slice it directly into the bushes.

evolution
02-08-2019, 03:13 PM
plus once you start playing, ask your playing partners for a hit of their clubs

It's bloody dangerous doing that. One monster hit of my mates Callaway X2 Hot driver and next minute I'd spent well over $2k on new clubs.

plague
02-08-2019, 03:18 PM
It's bloody dangerous doing that. One monster hit of my mates Callaway X2 Hot driver and next minute I'd spent well over $2k on new clubs.

Strip joints.
Drug dealers.
Golf shops.

Nothing like the thrill of spending good money on rad shit.

plague
13-12-2019, 02:11 PM
these cockheads carryong on with Partick Reed make Australians look just as big a bunch a wankers as Americans.

MFKS
13-12-2019, 06:19 PM
these cockheads carryong on with Partick Reed make Australians look just as big a bunch a wankers as Americans.

But this whole issue is down to the ****s changing the rules of Golf

Forever you were never allowed to ground your club or improve your lie in a hazard

So if that rule was still in place the bloke is not even getting close to infringing the rule as he knows the consequences

Now you can do so much more that in the past you could never do like remove stones ground your club etc

So it really the rulemakers fault for allowing this shit in the first place

The game was never meant to be fair but Reeds biggest issue is he has not come out after the penalty called on him and copped it on the chin. Reality is you meant to be calling penalties on yourself but when one is called on you you have to take it on the chin and not argue the semantics of it

q-money
16-12-2019, 07:59 PM
all points re: P. Reed aside - how good was the President's Cup?

Down to the last two matches on a Sunday arvo with Sha Tin in the background, hook it into my veins

plague
16-12-2019, 08:07 PM
all points re: P. Reed aside - how good was the President's Cup?

Down to the last two matches on a Sunday arvo with Sha Tin in the background, hook it into my veins

Tiger on fire, Ancer was legit.
Leishman and Scott were problematic. Smith aimed up, azians stepped up.
Im fine with Read giving it the big ones.

The Dunster
08-05-2022, 01:00 PM
https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.0234f95691e4341e49f4b80ccd391ba6?rik=9a7Z3J1MBPW 76g&riu=http%3a%2f%2fi1.kym-cdn.com%2fentries%2ficons%2ffacebook%2f000%2f001%2 f376%2fThreadNecro.jpg&ehk=BfUuNOiQXcGqLvkse6LQ8Vthib9TyK5EaAqO7gCZ%2fNk% 3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0