PDA

View Full Version : Competition Restructure 2017

winner
29-11-2015, 11:39 AM
There has been a fair bit of talk in other threads especially newfm so i thought i would start a new thread to discuss .
Whai is everyone else's opinion. I honestly think that come 2017 there will no longer be a newfm competition . The Npl needs to move to a minimum of a 12 team competition because atm an 18 round competition is simply too short for our premier league in nnsw. I think nnsw will keep the current 10 teams and promote the best next 2 candidates, whether that be Lakes,Cooks Hill,Wallsend, Kahibah or South Cardiff. I think these 12 teams will receive 3-5 year licences and then we will have divisions 1-5 with automatic promotion and relegation throughout these 5 divisions with the only criteria being you win your division you get promoted ( except Division 1 up to npl ) and if you come last you are relegated.
After npl licence runs out in 3-5 years then have in place specific criteria for a club to be promoted from Division 1 to Npl

Newy
02-12-2015, 02:03 PM
There has been a fair bit of talk in other threads especially newfm so i thought i would start a new thread to discuss .
Whai is everyone else's opinion. I honestly think that come 2017 there will no longer be a newfm competition . The Npl needs to move to a minimum of a 12 team competition because atm an 18 round competition is simply too short for our premier league in nnsw. I think nnsw will keep the current 10 teams and promote the best next 2 candidates, whether that be Lakes,Cooks Hill,Wallsend, Kahibah or South Cardiff. I think these 12 teams will receive 3-5 year licences and then we will have divisions 1-5 with automatic promotion and relegation throughout these 5 divisions with the only criteria being you win your division you get promoted ( except Division 1 up to npl ) and if you come last you are relegated.
After npl licence runs out in 3-5 years then have in place specific criteria for a club to be promoted from Division 1 to Npl

No relegation next year

GO AWAY
03-12-2015, 10:00 AM
No relegation next year

Wonder if that means clubs wont spend 100k a year to win 15k and also avoid relegation, might actually blood some youth players rather then over pay club hopping has beens ?

The Postman
03-12-2015, 11:09 AM
Bit unfair for the NewFM clubs who would have been pushing promotion and have recruited heavily. Maybe with the restructure for 2017, doesn't matter who wins.

EH9
03-12-2015, 12:12 PM
The amount of competition reviews and shake ups that have happened in this league over the past 10+ years is ridiculous!

Newy
03-12-2015, 05:44 PM
The amount of competition reviews and shake ups that have happened in this league over the past 10+ years is ridiculous!

Can teams still win promotion but?

immersion
04-12-2015, 12:01 AM
Wonder if that means clubs wont spend 100k a year to win 15k and also avoid relegation, might actually blood some youth players rather then over pay club hopping has beens ?

It's not just the old heads that want more money. The ridiculous amounts young players are asking for are stoking the fire possibly more than the older players. Players under the age of 22 demanding almost $400 per game with win bonus is insane.

Not sure of promoting youth is a sure fire way to lower the expenses bill all that much.

Its the 25 to 32 year olds that win comps anyway IMO. You cant do without that age bracket of players if you want to do well IMO. Young guys are hot and cold.

Also you only get 99MIL pounds for winning the EPL that's with TV rights as well if i remember correctly. They all have operating expenses of 350MIL for the big boys. Of course this doesn't factor in Europe. But those clubs are operating at losses until you factor in ticket and commercial deals (transfers can sway things obviously). Somewhat similar to the state league here. Not the exact same, but similar.

GO AWAY
04-12-2015, 09:47 AM
It's not just the old heads that want more money. The ridiculous amounts young players are asking for are stoking the fire possibly more than the older players. Players under the age of 22 demanding almost $400 per game with win bonus is insane.

Not sure of promoting youth is a sure fire way to lower the expenses bill all that much.

Its the 25 to 32 year olds that win comps anyway IMO. You cant do without that age bracket of players if you want to do well IMO. Young guys are hot and cold.

Also you only get 99MIL pounds for winning the EPL that's with TV rights as well if i remember correctly. They all have operating expenses of 350MIL for the big boys. Of course this doesn't factor in Europe. But those clubs are operating at losses until you factor in ticket and commercial deals (transfers can sway things obviously). Somewhat similar to the state league here. Not the exact same, but similar.

While some clubs keep feeding them, they are going to keep asking for it

immersion
04-12-2015, 11:28 PM
While some clubs keep feeding them, they are going to keep asking for it

How would you still be successful whilst not paying high wages? these guys just shop themselves around. How would you get around this issue if you were running a club?

The Postman
05-12-2015, 08:02 AM
NPL
1. Edgeworth
2. Lambton
3. Hamilton
4. Broadmeadow
5. Weston
6. Adamstown
7. Jets
8. Maitland
9. Charlestown
10. Valentine

NewFM
1. South Cardiff
2. Lake Macquarie
3. Wallsend
4. Kahibah
5. Singleton
6. Belswans
7. Cooks Hill
8. Thornton
9. Toronto
10. Cessnock
11. West Wallsend

ZPL
1. Beresfield
2. Newcastle Suns
3. Swansea
4. Cardiff City
5. New Lambton Eagles
6. Uni Men's
7. Mayfield
8. Dudley Redhead
9. Garden Suburbs
10. Morriset United

ZL1
1. Barnsley
2. Cooks Hill United
3. Warners Bay
4. Stockton
5. Kotara South
6. Charlestown
7. Jesmond
8. Beresfield
9. Nelsons Bay
10. Raymond Terrace

ZL2
1. Westlakes
2. Uni Men's
3. Hamilton Olympic
4. Hunter Simba
5. Kurri Kurri
6. Medowie
7. Merewether
8. Maryland
9. Muswellbrook
10. Wallsend

ZL3
1. Tenambit Sharks
2. Dudley Redhead
3. New Lambton
4. RAAF
5. Kahibah
6. Edgeworth
7. Abermain
8. Mayfield
9. Jesmond?
10. Hamilton Azzuri?
11. Bolwarra?
12. Argenton?

With possibly around 63 teams next season there is a definite need for 6 Divisons in 2017.

Probably a 12 team NPL and 5 Zone Leagues with 10 in each.

Swanky
07-12-2015, 08:36 AM
Current Eligible NPL Teams
12 (Adamstown, Charlestown, Edgeworth, Jets, Lakes, Lambton, Magic, Maitland, Olympic, South Cardiff, Valentine, Weston)

New Teams that may take up licence
2 (Cooks Hill, Wallsend)

That would make 14 teams would they run 1 14 team comp or 2 divisions of 8 & 6

Or would there be any team interested in joining the 14 with all the extra work the volunteers will be required to do to Run both Junior and Senior NPL.
(Belmont Swansea, Cessnock, Kahibah, Mid North Coast, Singleton, Tamworth Region, Thornton, Toronto, West Wallsend - Any Zone League Teams)

ForeverRed
07-12-2015, 09:17 AM
please tell me where all these kids are coming from to fill 14 npl youth sides, there's hardly enough talent as it is with out adding to this

De-Champ
07-12-2015, 12:20 PM
please tell me where all these kids are coming from to fill 14 npl youth sides, there's hardly enough talent as it is with out adding to this

Not sure I agree with this. The kids are out there, the issue may be that clubs want to make the grand final in all age groups, and hence you have a concentration of "talent" in a handfull of clubs.

Jardelsimage
09-12-2015, 08:31 PM
Not sure I agree with this. The kids are out there, the issue may be that clubs want to make the grand final in all age groups, and hence you have a concentration of "talent" in a handfull of clubs.

so your saying there would be and lets use 15 year olds. Ex: 224 plus kids for 14 teams at 16/team.
handful of talent held by certain clubs will not change, especially when clubs go knocking of the doors and are offering all sorts of deals to come play with the big teams and win GF's etc.
your dreaming.....
please tell us all how you would divide the players between clubs to produce a fair and just comp.....

Zico
09-12-2015, 09:22 PM
I've been told that the U/18's, U/20's (4 over age field players plus 1 keeper) and First Grade will 100% be in next season. This is backward step in my opinion if it's true.

19's, 22's and First Grade isn't perfect but it's acceptable. The 18's and 20's is over the top.

De-Champ
10-12-2015, 08:53 AM
so your saying there would be and lets use 15 year olds. Ex: 224 plus kids for 14 teams at 16/team.
handful of talent held by certain clubs will not change, especially when clubs go knocking of the doors and are offering all sorts of deals to come play with the big teams and win GF's etc.
your dreaming.....
please tell us all how you would divide the players between clubs to produce a fair and just comp.....

I got lost in your calculations. I'd say without even looking to see who won grand finals most of the "better" kids are playing either at magic, jets and olympic. (not in any order) One thing I can say based on last few years results, Jaffers in seniors have been up there, but in juniors have been no where.
I agree with you that I cannot come up with a system that spreads the talent around, maybe NNSWF should come up with something.

hawk
10-12-2015, 11:30 AM
Its great to have a solid ZL3. finally building up the ZL's

immersion
10-12-2015, 11:39 AM
I've been told that the U/18's, U/20's (4 over age field players plus 1 keeper) and First Grade will 100% be in next season. This is backward step in my opinion if it's true.

19's, 22's and First Grade isn't perfect but it's acceptable. The 18's and 20's is over the top.

I agree 100%. The standard of the possible 20's will be terrible IMO. We don't live in Sydney where there is at least 4 times the talent to pick from.

LongSufferingFan
10-12-2015, 02:50 PM
I agree 100%. The standard of the possible 20's will be terrible IMO. We don't live in Sydney where there is at least 4 times the talent to pick from.

Don't be so fast to dismiss this idea.
I watched a fair bit of NewFM this year and IMO it was very obvious the 19s competition was of a higher technical standard than the 23s.
I can't comment on NPL but the NewFM 23s comp in 2015 was a bit of a no mans land comp - players not good enough for NewFM fist grade but too old for 19s.

The argument that NNSWF are putting forward is that the 22s/23s comp is not elite therefore should not exist.

Yes I understand that your long term club players will be playing 22s/23s and that they are the backbone of the Club.
So why cant clubs have ZL3 teams or All Age to cater for these players rather than pretending they are elite?

Just a thought.

Goatscheese
10-12-2015, 06:44 PM
I watched a fair bit of NewFM this year and IMO it was very obvious the 19s competition was of a higher technical standard than the 23s.
I can't comment on NPL but the NewFM 23s comp in 2015 was a bit of a no mans land comp - players not good enough for NewFM fist grade but too old for 19s.

The argument that NNSWF are putting forward is that the 22s/23s comp is not elite therefore should not exist.

Yes I understand that your long term club players will be playing 22s/23s and that they are the backbone of the Club.
So why cant clubs have ZL3 teams or All Age to cater for these players rather than pretending they are elite?

Just a thought.

Is NewFM meant to be considered elite? It's a third tier comp in Australia, no one should think the players in the reserves side are elite.

MFKS
10-12-2015, 06:52 PM

Just a thought.
Your thoughts are spot on

Clubs are being forced to develop their youth better and having them ready for first grade by 20 years of age

If the kids ain't good enough to be in first grade at 20 having them play all age or zone is where they deserve to be

Sure there will be the occasional late bloomer but having them toil in the lower echelons is not the problem

The problem is the short sightedness of people worried about blokes in the 21-23 years bracket who are not playing first grade and the what will happen to them attitude.

The onus has to be on yoof and the FFA are structuring the comps around the country to address it.

Deal with it people

The sky ain't falling

The Postman
10-12-2015, 07:46 PM
Seems like Northern will decide after all the applications are in to what route they will go.

- Enough decent applications and there will be 2 NPL divisions with 1sts, 20s, 18s, 16s, 15s, 14s and 13s.

- If not, they might still run a 2nd division but with no Promotion and Relegation.

LongSufferingFan
11-12-2015, 11:10 AM
Is NewFM meant to be considered elite? It's a third tier comp in Australia, no one should think the players in the reserves side are elite.

I think this is the point NNSWF are trying to make with the comp restructure.

NNSWF want to only run elite comps - ie. NPL Snr and Yoof and WPL
Any teams not elite should be playing interdistrict under the NF/MF/HVF banner.

NewFM teams have a decision to make - bite the bullet, become a more professional club and apply for a NPL license or else play Zone League.

My gut feel is that NNSWF will be pretty flexible with applying the criteria if they see a club as genuinely trying to improve.
It is in NNSWF interest to get at least 14 NPL licensed Clubs so they can run their preferred NPL 1&2 model.

Any NewFM club that thinks they can sit back and hope NNSWF will run with 1 NPL division and continue with newFM with no promotion/relegation is asking for trouble and will probably find themselves playing Zone league in 2017 by default.

winner
11-12-2015, 11:37 AM
I think this is the point NNSWF are trying to make with the comp restructure.

NNSWF want to only run elite comps - ie. NPL Snr and Yoof and WPL
Any teams not elite should be playing interdistrict under the NF/MF/HVF banner.

NewFM teams have a decision to make - bite the bullet, become a more professional club and apply for a NPL license or else play Zone League.

My gut feel is that NNSWF will be pretty flexible with applying the criteria if they see a club as genuinely trying to improve.
It is in NNSWF interest to get at least 14 NPL licensed Clubs so they can run their preferred NPL 1&2 model.

Any NewFM club that thinks they can sit back and hope NNSWF will run with 1 NPL division and continue with newFM with no promotion/relegation is asking for trouble and will probably find themselves playing Zone league in 2017 by default.
How does 14 NPL licensed clubs allow there to be an NPL 1&2 model. What are we going to have, two 7 team competitions?

LongSufferingFan
11-12-2015, 01:16 PM
How does 14 NPL licensed clubs allow there to be an NPL 1&2 model. What are we going to have, two 7 team competitions?

My understanding is with 14 licensed clubs the format would be NPL 1 = 8 teams, NPL 2 = 6 teams (presumably three rounds).

The Postman
11-12-2015, 01:22 PM
My understanding is with 14 licensed clubs the format would be NPL 1 = 8 teams, NPL 2 = 6 teams (presumably three rounds).

So 2 clubs get dropped from current NPL joining Lakes and Southy plus whatever 2 current NewFM teams can meet the criteria.

winner
11-12-2015, 02:16 PM

This would be a massive step backwards imo. A 6 team competition would be laughable

Local Rules
11-12-2015, 02:40 PM

If all teams that are in NPL have single use grounds then there would be no reason they could not play two rounds of games with no final series only first past the post. Twenty six games and no more debate about who hosts GF's etc. Win Win for everyone.

NewyTy
11-12-2015, 03:07 PM
Looking at the proposed changes, there's definitely some positives in there but as with anything negatives as well. If there happens to be one 14 team NPL is there enough kids out there to fill 13's/14's etc and still be competitive. Bringing in these changes in 2017 seems like a year or two too soon IMO. I feel as though it should be a two or three-year changeover to allow New-FM clubs to work towards a possible NPL1/2 competition.

It'll be interesting to see how clubs react. Some New-FM clubs are ahead of others but it'd be great to see all 11 put the hard yards in. Still, it's a lot of additional work for clubs who are short on volunteers. But as some have said, it is a way forward and brings NNSW into line with some of the other federations. Hopefully NNSWF will be helpful and keep the door open for any clubs that want to make the step up.

Swanky
11-12-2015, 03:08 PM
If all teams that are in NPL have single use grounds then there would be no reason they could not play two rounds of games with no final series only first past the post. Twenty six games and no more debate about who hosts GF's etc. Win Win for everyone.

Could you imagine some of the club's wage bills after 26 rounds

Zico
11-12-2015, 03:28 PM
I still think an U/20's is over the top. U/22's is a fair and reasonable compromise between the feds ideal comp and the clubs wishes of a reserve grade.

The fed are to an extent limited as the FFA are handing down these rules but surely they would listen too and support the stakeholders to do what they can to do the best for the local clubs which after all are the reason we have a comp in this area.

If the Fed want a comp full of clubs with no soul, very few supporters and even less volunteers then this model is the perfect way to achieve this. Making a comp that promotes youth is fantastic but this can be achieved without sacrificing clubs in the proccess.

My hope is that the fed listen and act in the correct manner for this area before they screw the comp and we lose both the clubs and the youth development.

MFKS
11-12-2015, 03:54 PM
I still think an U/20's is over the top. U/22's is a fair and reasonable compromise between the feds ideal comp and the clubs wishes of a reserve grade.

The fed are to an extent limited as the FFA are handing down these rules but surely they would listen too and support the stakeholders to do what they can to do the best for the local clubs which after all are the reason we have a comp in this area.

If the Fed want a comp full of clubs with no soul, very few supporters and even less volunteers then this model is the perfect way to achieve this. Making a comp that promotes youth is fantastic but this can be achieved without sacrificing clubs in the proccess.

My hope is that the fed listen and act in the correct manner for this area before they screw the comp and we lose both the clubs and the youth development.

How exactly are you sacrificing clubs by going to a Yoof model???

In theory you are strengthening clubs as your first grade side in theory should be kids who have come through the grades and are playing firsts and not mercenaries who play for new club every year

Issue lies with the clubs to open their eyes and change the way they operate.

Evolve or perish

Premy
11-12-2015, 04:06 PM

As someone stated earlier every club has the option to field a ZL team, treat that as your reserve grade. I'm with member on this one move forward or get left behind.

LongSufferingFan
11-12-2015, 04:11 PM
Thinking this through it may reduce the excessive player payment issue as well as make for a more even playing field across the clubs.

If there is a closer link between a clubs juniors and first grade then logic says you are more likely to have your juniors play first grade.
This reduces the need to buy players in, meaning that (perhaps) there wont be the pressure to pay excessive player payments.

With less player movement you are also likely to see a more even comp as the clubs with money won't find it so easy to buy premierships.
The focus will need to shift to developing juniors.

All of this is a good thing IMO - certainly worth a try.

Zico
11-12-2015, 04:45 PM
How exactly are you sacrificing clubs by going to a Yoof model???

In theory you are strengthening clubs as your first grade side in theory should be kids who have come through the grades and are playing firsts and not mercenaries who play for new club every year

Issue lies with the clubs to open their eyes and change the way they operate.

Evolve or perish
At a bare minimum alloyed 5 plus Keeper over age in 20's then but I can see both sides of the argument and the pro's and con's of both.

We have produced more players into the NSL and Socceroos when we had the old system, how many have we produced since the Fed got rid of reserve grade and added the numerous age groups over reserve grade?

A balance is required and I agree that we need to produce quality youth, this can be achieved through correct coaching and lowering the cost of advanced coaching coarse to get as many coaches educated rather than tampering with age groups and comp structures.

Start with the most basic level (coaching to produce these youth players) and then change things from there if it's not working still.

I hate this thought proccess that players who are experienced and can be of huge benefit to the younger players should be scrap heaped.

Zico
11-12-2015, 04:50 PM
As someone stated earlier every club has the option to field a ZL team, treat that as your reserve grade. I'm with member on this one move forward or get left behind.
So it's a very real possibility that a very strong player who may be good enough for first grade and an excellent mentor to a young player on the pitch could be sent packing back the ZL? What a waste of a great opportunity to bring these young players through with experienced players to guide them.
We are killing our comp, what other comp does this in the sporting world?

MFKS
11-12-2015, 04:56 PM
At a bare minimum alloyed 5 plus Keeper over age in 20's then but I can see both sides of the argument and the pro's and con's of both.

We have produced more players into the NSL and Socceroos when we had the old system, how many have we produced since the Fed got rid of reserve grade and added the numerous age groups over reserve grade?

A balance is required and I agree that we need to produce quality youth, this can be achieved through correct coaching and lowering the cost of advanced coaching coarse to get as many coaches educated rather than tampering with age groups and comp structures.

Start with the most basic level (coaching to produce these youth players) and then change things from there if it's not working still.

I hate this thought proccess that players who are experienced and can be of huge benefit to the younger players should be scrap heaped.
Our development of NSL or HAL level and Soccerroos players gave been shit for years

You have to back 15-20 years to find much of note in Middleby and Zane

Before that you had your Lowes Baartzs Maier's Tredinnicjs etc

Recent years we have barely had national league players

As for this thought on these experienced players playing reserve grade. This 5 player concession to me is a cop out and should be scrapped

If blokes are not good enough for first grade play in the Zone leagues

Why exactly is the not good enough players really part of the discussion here.???

If they are good enough they are playing at higher level. If you ain't good enough you find your level and okay zone or all age

No free handouts in life

As for the experienced players why are the coaches and senior first grade players doing???

Are they not able to mentor the kids???

Zico
11-12-2015, 05:08 PM
Our development of NSL or HAL level and Soccerroos players gave been shit for years

As for this thought on these experienced players playing reserve grade. This 5 player concession to me is a cop out and should be scrapped

Why exactly is the not good enough players really part of the discussion here.???

If they are good enough they are playing at higher level. If you ain't good enough you find your level and okay zone or all age

No free handouts in life

As for the experienced players why are the coaches and senior first grade players doing???

I think you will find that the federation got rid of the tried and tested reserve grade around the same time the player development through to the higher levels dried up.

Don't underestimate the value of the old head on the pitch to develop a future star.

Premy
11-12-2015, 06:11 PM
So it's a very real possibility that a very strong player who may be good enough for first grade and an excellent mentor to a young player on the pitch could be sent packing back the ZL? What a waste of a great opportunity to bring these young players through with experienced players to guide them.
We are killing our comp, what other comp does this in the sporting world?
I'm not certain on the details now but I'm sure when the Zone Leagues started 5-6 years ago players could be duel registered if the two teams came under the same club. What is Stopping any NPL club duel resisting a ZL player to call them up when needed or a U/18 player so you can put him in ZL 1st grade if you want him to play with older heads?

Edit: Again I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure Cooks Hill have been doing something similar to this for a few years now.

Zico
11-12-2015, 06:58 PM
I'm not certain on the details now but I'm sure when the Zone Leagues started 5-6 years ago players could be duel registered if the two teams came under the same club. What is Stopping any NPL club duel resisting a ZL player to call them up when needed or a U/18 player so you can put him in ZL 1st grade if you want him to play with older heads?

Edit: Again I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure Cooks Hill have been doing something similar to this for a few years now.
That's a decent idea if it is able to be done.
What is the requirement for the Zone League clubs? Is it 3 grades? if so I think it makes it very difficult to have the Zone League side that has been thrown about.

The Postman
11-12-2015, 07:22 PM
That's a decent idea if it is able to be done.
What is the requirement for the Zone League clubs? Is it 3 grades? if so I think it makes it very difficult to have the Zone League side that has been thrown about.

ZPL and ZL1 have 3 teams
ZL2 and ZL3 have 2 teams.

Maybe just have 1 team division that acts as a 2nd Division "open" league. It would allow clubs to hold onto these mid 20 year olds who want to stay at their lifelong club and not play ZL for someone else, it also would accomodate juniors as well who miss the cut in the 20s and 18s teams.

Zico
11-12-2015, 07:31 PM
18's, Open Grade, 20's & First Grade on same day? Or push the 18's back to the NPL Youth days and have Open, 20's and 1st's?

Jardelsimage
11-12-2015, 09:00 PM

NPL cant use any player other what they have. Duel rego is I believe out of the question.

Correct me if I'm wrong, NPL and there junior NPL sides plus grade, cant dual rego players or have other teams within there licence.

help please, cookers would have been doing ZL 3 to ZPL, but it wold have changed this year.

The Postman
12-12-2015, 12:21 AM
NPL cant use any player other what they have. Duel rego is I believe out of the question.

Correct me if I'm wrong, NPL and there junior NPL sides plus grade, cant dual rego players or have other teams within there licence.

help please, cookers would have been doing ZL 3 to ZPL, but it wold have changed this year.

I know you can dual register between All Age and O/35s to Zone Leagues.

boz-monaut
12-12-2015, 05:16 AM
completely separate registration for NEW FM to the rest of the club (zone, AA/35s, juniors) — NEW FM register through NNSW, the rest through Newcastle Football

we're not allowed to dual register NEW FM with other competitions so the option to borrow players from lower grades that's possible from AA to zone isn't possible anymore

Retro can probably provide more detail

stopper2
16-12-2015, 01:41 PM

No free handouts in life

Here are another lot of names to add to your list....Soper, Jennings, Jones, Halpin, Pryce, Roberts of players who came from this area who came through in the 80's and 90's and were either Socceroos or played many years at the top level in the NSL.
We really got to have a long hard look at our coaching methods in NNSW because the last 15 years paint a sorry picture of the lack of developing quality players from this region. The last 10 years or so we have produced the likes of Boogaard, Kanta, Hoffman, decent enough players but nowhere near the quality we had in the 80's and 90's.

De-Champ
16-12-2015, 02:32 PM
Here are another lot of names to add to your list....Soper, Jennings, Jones, Halpin, Pryce, Roberts of players who came from this area who came through in the 80's and 90's and were either Socceroos or played many years at the top level in the NSL.
We really got to have a long hard look at our coaching methods in NNSW because the last 15 years paint a sorry picture of the lack of developing quality players from this region. The last 10 years or so we have produced the likes of Boogaard, Kanta, Hoffman, decent enough players but nowhere near the quality we had in the 80's and 90's.

To be a valid comparison Soper, Jennings and Jones left Newcastle when either nobody wanted them or an early age and developed their careers whilst in Sydney. Jennings went from Rosebud to Olympic very early as a twenty year old, Soper went from
Stuart & Lloyds agains early on, Jones I do not know but made his name playing for Sydney Croatia

The Dunster
16-12-2015, 02:50 PM

Australia in general developed better quality players in the 80's and 90's than it has in recent years. It's not a NNSWF specific thing at all - it is an Australia wide issue.

You need only look at the 2006 Socceroos squad to know that.

Overall, the A-league is the issue more so than NNSWF.

Look at England - Player development there is a complete joke since the EPL commenced.

Premy
16-12-2015, 04:08 PM
Australia in general developed better quality players in the 80's and 90's than it has in recent years. It's not a NNSWF specific thing at all - it is an Australia wide issue.

You need only look at the 2006 Socceroos squad to know that.

Overall, the A-league is the issue more so than NNSWF.

Look at England - Player development there is a complete joke since the EPL commenced.
Haha get your hand of it Dinosaur, remind me how good the national team done through 80's and 90's?

"Back in my day" yeah ok Grandad time to get back to the bingo hall.

The Dunster
16-12-2015, 04:19 PM
Haha get your hand of it Dinosaur, remind me how good the national team done through 80's and 90's?

"Back in my day" yeah ok Grandad time to get back to the bingo hall.

Developed . The 2006 Socceroos players were products of the 80's and 90's.

Hence the reference to the 2006 Socceroos.

The NSL clubs did it better than the A-league clubs do when it comes to development of young talent.

Nothing to do with back in my day - It's simply a fact.

You must be the only person on this forum who thinks that the 2006 socceroos are weaker than the current team - Because that's what you are implying.

Have a look at the 2006 Squad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup_squads

Most were born in the early 1970's and hence would have been developed in the 1980's and early 1990's.

Imyourhero
16-12-2015, 06:09 PM
So what was it that was done differently?

The Dunster
16-12-2015, 07:17 PM
So what was it that was done differently?

Back then if you weren't approaching world class you didn't play football for a living.
These days Cameron Watson makes a living playing football.

The rest goes well beyond football and would probably be more the domain of Anthropologists, sociologists, and psychologists than football people.

Imyourhero
16-12-2015, 09:04 PM
So it wasnt that coaching was any better?

The Dunster
16-12-2015, 10:07 PM
So it wasnt that coaching was any better?

I think the average player now is much better than the average player was twenty years ago as they were better than the generations before them.

But when it comes to the best players, I think that's where the big problems are.

Today, we waste too much time and effort on kids that are never going to make it to the highest level.

In the past clubs and dare I say it communities got behind the most talented kids and did everything in their power to help the kids progress.

Today, every cashed up parent thinks they can buy their kid a ticket into the EPL and in the process they will sabotage the kids who actually do have a shot be it inadvertently or on purpose.

Captain_Carl
20-11-2021, 06:29 AM
In restructures there will always be winners and losers. I hope West Wallsend get back to the top tier again.