PDA

View Full Version : Guitars and Instruments (no stairway)

Pages : [1] 2

hawk
19-05-2016, 05:08 PM
Discuss

I won a fender Jap copy off a mate in early 90's. The bet? who ever finishes on top out of Spurs and Liverpud that year.

I declined to take it but he insisted as he brought a new strat. the only mod added is a Porkers sticker

plague
19-05-2016, 05:49 PM
Further, my teacher made me buy a Fender Princeton Chorus amp. I still have it but it's starting to sound a bit weak.

It was a beautiful piece of kit back in its day.

(Again though, I wanted a Marshall stack. Guitar teacher 2, Plague 0).

The Dunster
19-05-2016, 08:42 PM
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1622/25785701005_7faae7bd89_h.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7012/27040643351_3719ce2268_b.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7591/27014564172_033127546a_h.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7045/26503226184_0ecdbd560c_h.jpg

Nothing too flash.

Custom Made G&L USA S-500
51 Squier
Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Maton Mini EMM6 Mahogany

Another Telecaster will be my next purchase

sammydog
19-05-2016, 08:47 PM
I'm a Gibson man myself. '94 Les Paul Standard and '10 Custom Shop ES-339. Nothing better than these through the Marshall or Baez (any self respecting Newie local should have one of these). That said, i have a few fenders (strat and Jag) and my pointy Ibanez, they just don't see a lot of use.

I do need a smaller amp around the house, even with a power attenuator they still piss off the neighbours. Complete overkill for someone without a band.

I'll come back with better photos at some point when I'm not on my phone.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k316/sammydogg/guitar/IMG_3288.jpg (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/sammydogg/media/guitar/IMG_3288.jpg.html)

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k316/sammydogg/guitar/IMG_2365.jpg (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/sammydogg/media/guitar/IMG_2365.jpg.html)

The Dunster
19-05-2016, 08:49 PM
Discuss

I won a fender Jap copy off a mate in early 90's. The bet? who ever finishes on top out of Spurs and Liverpud that year.

I declined to take it but he insisted as he brought a new strat. the only mod added is a Porkers sticker

Very Nice: In the early 90's the Japanese Fenders were better than the USA made examples - once you changed the pickups.

sammydog
19-05-2016, 08:52 PM
Very Nice: In the early 90's the Japanese Fenders were better than the USA made examples - once you changed the pickups.

My Jaguar is Japanese. At the time, other than the pickups, they were far better than the American equivalent. I swapped the stock pickups for a Seymour Duncan Quaterpounder in the Bridge and a more vintage style in the neck.

If you can get a 70's or 80's Japanese Ibanez, they are quality.

The Dunster
19-05-2016, 08:53 PM
Further, my teacher made me buy a Fender Princeton Chorus amp. I still have it but it's starting to sound a bit weak.

It was a beautiful piece of kit back in its day.

(Again though, I wanted a Marshall stack. Guitar teacher 2, Plague 0).

They are still a nice little solid state amp today. Yours probably just needs a few caps replaced to get back to its best.

The Dunster
19-05-2016, 08:55 PM
My Jaguar is Japanese. At the time, other than the pickups, they were far better than the American equivalent. I swapped the stock pickups for a Seymour Duncan Quaterpounder in the Bridge and a more vintage style in the neck.

If you can get a 70's or 80's Japanese Ibanez, they are quality.

Our guitarist had a shit load of Ibanez's back in the late 70's to mid 80's. He's still trying to get them all back after he lost his mind got married and sold them In the mid 90's.

Wrt Fender, probably making their best guitars ever in the last five years or so.

I went the other way and got a G&L but while it's awesomely built and all it just doesn't have the mojo of some of the pre-cbs Strats I have played.

sammydog
19-05-2016, 08:57 PM
Again though, I wanted a Marshall stack. Guitar teacher 2, Plague 0.

You don't want a Marshall stack. Sure they look cool, but the cost a fortune and only sound good when you run them hot. Unfortunately in most venues, it is overkill. Play them at bedroom volumes and they sound terrible.

If you don't like the fender, find a low watt tube amp.

sammydog
19-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Our guitarist had a shit load of Ibanez's back in the late 70's to mid 80's. He's still trying to get them all back after he lost his mind got married and sold them In the mid 90's.

My mate had an early 70's Ibanez Jazz Bass. It is the single greatest bass I have ever played. Weighed a ton, but sounded and felt incredible. I see them on eBay every now and then and think I should grab one but never get around to pulling the trigger.

Even now, there is some Les Paul knockoffs from Japan (Tokai) that are a fraction of the cost of a Gibson, but every bit as good if you can live without the gibson name.

The Dunster
19-05-2016, 10:45 PM
Anyone have a luthier they can recommend in Newcastle or thereabouts ?

sammydog
19-05-2016, 10:53 PM
Anyone have a luthier they can recommend in Newcastle or thereabouts ?

I want to know the same thing. I want some nitro refinishing done on the ES.

What do you need repaired?

plague
19-05-2016, 10:56 PM
You don't want a Marshall stack. Sure they look cool, but the cost a fortune and only sound good when you run them hot. Unfortunately in most venues, it is overkill. Play them at bedroom volumes and they sound terrible.

Oh I know that, pointless, expensive and innapropriate.

But when you're a kid and you wanna play guitar well yanno, chicks and stuff.

hawk
20-05-2016, 09:08 AM
Maton Mini EMM6 Mahogany

looking for a small cutaway at the mom. those dark woods are nice

The Dunster
20-05-2016, 11:29 AM
looking for a small cutaway at the mom. those dark woods are nice

Collings OM2H - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIcXzF2VZ4k

Larrivee PV-09 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i66HSRxQ2PU

I've played the Larrivee quite a bit and find it really hard to put down. The only reason I don't drop the cash on one is that to make it really shine you need to play finger style rather than flat pick like I do.

The Dunster
24-05-2016, 03:51 PM
https://c8.staticflickr.com/8/7350/26585732543_dd34aac891_b.jpg

I started as a keyboard player and while I'm ok at programming / creating sounds on them I just never managed to gel with keyboards as a player.
The only reason I never started guitar as a kid was that being left handed I didn't like the idea of playing right-handed and at the time there was a severely limited number of left handed guitars to choose from.

Moving on - in November 2015 I bit the bullet and bought a right handed guitar. Felt ridiculously uncomfortable for about a week but then all of a sudden found my groove so to speak. I'm still shit but managed to get at least 5 hours practice in everyday. On keyboards I struggled to practice more than 30mins a day because I was pretty much forcing myself to practice rather than wanting to do it.

Being obsessive compulsive I've also acquired Guitar Acquisition Syndrome as well and have probably played more guitars in the last six months than many would play in a life time.

Now I rarely if ever even turn the keyboards on anymore as they just don't give me the buzz that the guitars do.

Has anyone else here crossed over from the dark side of Keyboards to Guitar ? And do you think it helped you as a guitarist to be familiar with another instrument before hand ?

sammydog
24-05-2016, 06:25 PM
Don't talk to me about GAS.

Went looking for a cheap bass today for home recording purposes. I now think I will be buying a BC Rich Mockingbird.

Do I need another guitar.....nope. Don't play most of the guitars I have, but something about it is screaming to be bought.

The Dunster
24-05-2016, 06:58 PM
The BC Rich Guitars look great . Do they play well ?

I saw this quote about GAS on Musicians Friend Website which made me laugh:

Bank balances have been battered and marriages destroyed, but by god there’s been some lovely gear bought.

plague
24-05-2016, 07:03 PM
Has anyone else here crossed over from the dark side of Keyboards to Guitar ? And do you think it helped you as a guitarist to be familiar with another instrument before hand ?

interesting you brought this up.
was contemplating getting Plague jar a guitar last Christmas (he's 6) and music pros and teachers I spoke to all said the same thing. Get him to learn keyboard first as it will make guitar (and music) easier long term. they all said that young kids playing guitar is a very difficult introduction and keyboard will be easier to learn from both a 'making noise' perspective and learning to read music.

never even thought about it that way but testimony from people that did it certainly has swayed my way of thinking.

sammydog
24-05-2016, 07:18 PM

It played OK, I wasn't too worried about the sound as my intent was to gut the electronics and put in either Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates or Slash pickups alone with new pots and capacitors.

They have a mahogany neck and mahogany body with a maple cap. The neck is a neck through body design, so it should in theory sound good with the right pickups.

But after playing, and it played fine, it just looked plastic. I'm not sure if this is just a nitro v's poly finish on guitar issue as I generally play nitro finished guitars, but the finish was a bit rough and plastic looking. Not something that affects how it plays, but you have to love it before you buy it.

I may still grab it.

sammydog
24-05-2016, 07:21 PM
was contemplating getting Plague jar a guitar last Christmas (he's 6) and music pros and teachers I spoke to all said the same thing. Get him to learn keyboard first as it will make guitar (and music) easier long term. they all said that young kids playing guitar is a very difficult introduction and keyboard will be easier to learn from both a 'making noise' perspective and learning to read music.

never even thought about it that way but testimony from people that did it certainly has swayed my way of thinking.

I'm trying to work out what to do with my 6 year old who wants to play guitar. Thing is, he has absolutely no interest in the keyboard, so going down that path would be a waste as he wouldn't stick with it, but I am sure if I got him guitar lessons he would get right into it.

Ive thought about Rosies School of Rock which seems to be more based around the kids learning songs more than anything. Could be a good introduction till he is old enough to get into theory, assuming he wants to go that way.

plague
24-05-2016, 07:30 PM
Ive thought about Rosies School of Rock which seems to be more based around the kids learning songs more than anything. Could be a good introduction till he is old enough to get into theory, assuming he wants to go that way.

yeah i agree the fear is turning them off enjoying music by not letting them learn what they want but the flip side is that shortcuts learned at a young age are very hard to break*.

*source: me.

The Dunster
24-05-2016, 08:15 PM

Agree. Chords, Arpeggios, and scales are a lot easier to understand on a piano as well as it being far easier for small hands to play than a guitar is.

Bon
24-05-2016, 09:04 PM

I had a BC Rich Warlock bass back in the day..
Can confirm that both it and the user played like sh!t..

I'm currently using a custom Ibanez 5 string, through a Warwick Quad VI head, with Warwick 6x10 box.. (will chuck up photos when I get the chance)
Put the head in at Musos in Feb to be checked out as it was sounding ridiculously poor, farty, cutting out, and only just picked it up today with a "we looked at it yesterday but couldn't find much wrong with it".. So p!ssed off..
Looking to upgrade my head to the classic Ampeg SVT Pro 4, and also keeping an eye out on finding a decently priced Warwick Thumb bass..

Agree. Chords, Arpeggios, and scales are a lot easier to understand on a piano as well as it being far easier for small hands to play than a guitar is.

I was learning the piano when I was about 7, however learning all of those things was boring and far from fun.. (Although, I curse myself now every day that I didn't stick with it and learn it all properly at that age, I would shred now and actually understand whats going on, instead of just getting drunk and being a hack)
So while I think that down the track the kid will thank you for the theory lessons (if they can stick with it), I can see why playing songs and music you enjoy at the time is also a lot easier and enjoyable and perhaps open the doors to learning the technical stuff later on..

sammydog
24-05-2016, 10:33 PM

Was it a cheap one with a bolt up neck, or a good one with a neck through body? Big variance between the Chinese and US made guitars.

Even with guitars like Epiphone, the difference between the low end and high end is huge. Low end being bolt up necks and shit wood.

I'm currently using a custom Ibanez 5 string, through a Warwick Quad VI head, with Warwick 6x10 box.. (will chuck up photos when I get the chance)
Put the head in at Musos in Feb to be checked out as it was sounding ridiculously poor, farty, cutting out, and only just picked it up today with a "we looked at it yesterday but couldn't find much wrong with it".. So p!ssed off..
Looking to upgrade my head to the classic Ampeg SVT Pro 4, and also keeping an eye out on finding a decently priced Warwick Thumb bass..

Like I said, take the amp into Mick Sampson. He has worked magic on my Marshall and Baez many times. Let me know if you want his number. He is cheap and most repairs you get the amp back the day you give it to him.

The Dunster
25-05-2016, 07:49 AM
Like I said, take the amp into Mick Sampson. He has worked magic on my Marshall and Baez many times. Let me know if you want his number. He is cheap and most repairs you get the amp back the day you give it to him.

Is Mick Sampson the bloke at Waratah ? Everyone I know that goes there says he's the best in the business.

sammydog
25-05-2016, 12:09 PM
Is Mick Sampson the bloke at Waratah ? Everyone I know that goes there says he's the best in the business.

Thats him. Works from his shed and built Baez Amps in the 70's. The guy is an absolute guru when it comes to amps.

Jetmaster
25-05-2016, 12:55 PM
Actually have built the Pitbull kit of sammydogs LP - same colour and all apart from the headstock. Good kits, good fun, beats building Airfix kits - unfortunately my gluing skills aren't the best and the neck has come away so will have to redo!

Old fashioned Tele man myself, have a quality Mex one and also a cheap Jap copy that has lasted me 30 years.

The Dunster
25-05-2016, 01:12 PM
Actually have built the Pitbull kit of sammydogs LP - same colour and all apart from the headstock. Good kits, good fun, beats building Airfix kits - unfortunately my gluing skills aren't the best and the neck has come away so will have to redo!

Old fashioned Tele man myself, have a quality Mex one and also a cheap Jap copy that has lasted me 30 years.

I'd never heard of these Pitbull Guitar Kits before and I'm now having a GAS attack.

Bon
26-05-2016, 08:48 AM
Was it a cheap one with a bolt up neck, or a good one with a neck through body? Big variance between the Chinese and US made guitars.

Even with guitars like Epiphone, the difference between the low end and high end is huge. Low end being bolt up necks and shit wood.

Yeah, it was a cheap piece of sh!t.. We called it the "firestoker" cause thats about all the bloody thing was good for..

PM me the number of Mr Sampson. Would love to get him to have a look at it..
I've heard there is a guy at Warners Bay that is really good with amps too, anyone know much/anything about him?

I seem to remember posting this somewhere on here aaaaaaages ago.. I'm contemplating purchasing an acoustic to just strum about on at home, not needing or wanting anything hectic or professional, anyone have a good recommendation? I was looking in to the Maton SR60 as I do love a good Maton, and it is the cheapest in their range..

Jetmaster
26-05-2016, 09:28 AM
I'd never heard of these Pitbull Guitar Kits before and I'm now having a GAS attack.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/

Have fun - wants me a Flying V next !

sammydog
26-05-2016, 10:17 AM
Yeah, it was a cheap piece of sh!t.. We called it the "firestoker" cause thats about all the bloody thing was good for..

PM me the number of Mr Sampson. Would love to get him to have a look at it..
I've heard there is a guy at Warners Bay that is really good with amps too, anyone know much/anything about him?

I seem to remember posting this somewhere on here aaaaaaages ago.. I'm contemplating purchasing an acoustic to just strum about on at home, not needing or wanting anything hectic or professional, anyone have a good recommendation? I was looking in to the Maton SR60 as I do love a good Maton, and it is the cheapest in their range..

The guy at Music Solutions in Warners Bay is also good, he is my back up amp guy and my go to guitar tech.

I'be sent you a PM with Micks contact.

This photo some of Micks finest work from last night's jam. Love his amps.....I'm on the hunt for another if anyone has one they want to flog off. Love playing guitar through the bass amp on the top. He did a complete overhaul on the top amp in december (turns out he built it originally in 1973), cost bugger all for what he did and it sounds insane.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k316/sammydogg/guitar/IMG_4158.jpg (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/sammydogg/media/guitar/IMG_4158.jpg.html)

The Dunster
26-05-2016, 10:32 AM
The guy at Music Solutions in Warners Bay is also good, he is my back up amp guy and my go to guitar tech.

I need a guitar tech that is familar with the G&L Dual Fulcrum Vibrato [Bridge/Trem] to set mine up. The last tech I went to handed it back to me buzzing over most of the fretboard.

Would this guy at Warners bay be worth investigating ?

sammydog
26-05-2016, 10:51 AM
Not sure of his experience with the Dual Fulcrum set up.

Is it just the two pivot points that differ from a standard strat trem?

The Dunster
26-05-2016, 12:16 PM
Not sure of his experience with the Dual Fulcrum set up.

Is it just the two pivot points that differ from a standard strat trem?

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0221/5424/products/IMG_9475d_1024x1024.jpg?v=1367305941

They also allow you to bend a note both up and down

hawk
26-05-2016, 10:55 PM
^ooooh^

sammydog
27-05-2016, 05:14 PM
Anyone got any experience with pickups for Fender Jaguars? I have a Japanese Fender Jag from the 90's. The wood and craftsmanship at the time was up there with the US guitars but the electronics were horrible at best.

In the past I had replaced the bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan Quaterpounder but am now looking to completely rewire (pots, switches, jacks, pickups, wires and shielding). First pick were Seymour Duncan Antiquities but they are expensive and can be quiet a wait to get, which let me to fenders '65 reissue pickups.

Anyone heard them?

The Dunster
28-05-2016, 08:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nIdidLE-7k

Sound pretty good to me. These should totally come with a bonus surfboard.

I have only played the Squire Vintage Modified version - and it was impressive apart from the shitty bridge which the strings jumped out of in a random fashion.

sammydog
28-05-2016, 01:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nIdidLE-7k

Sound pretty good to me. These should totally come with a bonus surfboard.

I have only played the Squire Vintage Modified version - and it was impressive apart from the shitty bridge which the strings jumped out of in a random fashion.

Thats a Jaguar Bridge trait, along with self lowering. I fixed the lowering with plumbers tape on the screws and the string skipping was solved by playing with 1-'s instead of 9's. Ive heard flat wounds are the best solution although a lot of people put in a Mustang bridge.

I find listening to you tube clips of guitars like a jag hard, you never hear someone playing them through a Marshall, its always through a fender with the surf tone. Fair enough as that is what they are known for, but I have found they can run through a Marshall quiet well. The Quarterpunder in the bridge sounds huge, and I am hoping the 65 Fender in the next will give me clean options as well.

sammydog
03-06-2016, 02:01 PM
Just got the Jag back from having the Fender Vintage 65 pickups installed along with rewiring the guitar with CTS pots and jacks.

The neck pickup has gone from being unusable to a really sweet warm sound. Very much like a tele. The bridge is a huge departure fro the Seymour Duncan Quaterpounder I had in it. Will take a while to get used to, but with the volume rolled of it has some very nice cleans. While very much treble oriented, it isn't like an ice pick and is pretty cool, although with the bright switch on its all a bit too much.

Pretty happy though and am now contemplating some Custom Shop 69 pickups for the strat.

The Dunster
03-06-2016, 03:04 PM
Just got the Jag back from having the Fender Vintage 65 pickups installed along with rewiring the guitar with CTS pots and jacks.

The neck pickup has gone from being unusable to a really sweet warm sound. Very much like a tele. The bridge is a huge departure fro the Seymour Duncan Quaterpounder I had in it. Will take a while to get used to, but with the volume rolled of it has some very nice cleans. While very much treble oriented, it isn't like an ice pick and is pretty cool, although with the bright switch on its all a bit too much.

Pretty happy though and am now contemplating some Custom Shop 69 pickups for the strat.

Where did you get the work done ? Was it at Warners Bay ?

sammydog
03-06-2016, 03:21 PM
Yep, Warners Bay.

He had a bit of time so he did it while I was there and I didn't have to leave the guitar which was awesome.

The Dunster
15-06-2016, 01:52 PM
I played a Gibson SG today. They look like they would scare small children but play ability wise have to admit I was impressed.
On spec they look similar to a Les Paul but feel and sound completely different.

given the music I like I should own one but just can't get past the look of them.

Couscous
15-06-2016, 02:01 PM
No Stairway.

From the Beeb: (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36534469)

Guitarist Jimmy Page and singer Robert Plant are expected to give evidence at the civil case in Los Angeles.

They are accused of lifting the song's opening notes from Taurus, a 1967 track by the band Spirit.

Page, 72, and Plant, 67, are being sued by a trust acting for a founding member of Spirit who died in 1997.

The case began with the jury being played various performances of both songs, including part of Led Zeppelin's recording of Stairway to Heaven.

And here's the original song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd8AVbwB_6E

sammydog
15-06-2016, 02:36 PM
I played a Gibson SG today. They look like they would scare small children but play ability wise have to admit I was impressed.
On spec they look similar to a Les Paul but feel and sound completely different.

given the music I like I should own one but just can't get past the look of them.

What music are you looking to play? Plenty of other guitars out there if you aren't into the look.

The sound difference to a Les Paul is down to a few factors.

- No Maple Cap
- Significantly lighter, there is a lot less Mahogany in the body.
- Depending on the model SG, the pickups can be very different.

What amp would you be playing it into?

The Dunster
15-06-2016, 03:22 PM
What music are you looking to play? Plenty of other guitars out there if you aren't into the look.

The sound difference to a Les Paul is down to a few factors.

- No Maple Cap
- Significantly lighter, there is a lot less Mahogany in the body.
- Depending on the model SG, the pickups can be very different.

What amp would you be playing it into?

I butcher rather than play Stones, Kinks, Who, AC/DC, Van halen... and so on - hence, wouldn't mind something with Humbuckers or similar.
I use a Blues Cube Artist Amp which is an 80w solid state combo.
Effects wise I use a MXR Phaser and a Boss Super Overdrive.

The Dunster
15-06-2016, 03:24 PM
No Stairway.

From the Beeb: (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36534469)

And here's the original song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd8AVbwB_6E

Holy shit...... They is in some serious trouble. Then again there is only so many ways to pick an Am G#aug

sammydog
15-06-2016, 07:07 PM
I butcher rather than play Stones, Kinks, Who, AC/DC, Van halen... and so on - hence, wouldn't mind something with Humbuckers or similar.
I use a Blues Cube Artist Amp which is an 80w solid state combo.
Effects wise I use a MXR Phaser and a Boss Super Overdrive.

If you don't want to drop the full $$$ on a gibson, have a look at Tokai. Japanese made knockoffs that are pretty close to Gibson in feel, sound and quality. They are about half to a third of the price and well worth a look if you don't care about the name on the headstock. Id get one over an epiphone.

I prefer humbuckers, but don't discount something with P-90's in it. Most of the time I don't get along with single coils.

sammydog
15-06-2016, 07:11 PM
Anyone out there want to part with (or knows someone selling) a mid sized combo? Looking for something along the lines of a Marshall JTM60 (2x12 or 3x10) or Fender Hotrod Deville (4x10).

Current set up is overkill and I need to downsize.

The Dunster
20-06-2016, 02:31 PM
Anyone out there want to part with (or knows someone selling) a mid sized combo? Looking for something along the lines of a Marshall JTM60 (2x12 or 3x10) or Fender Hotrod Deville (4x10).

Current set up is overkill and I need to downsize.

Have you heard Rivera Combos ? http://www.jacksmusic.com.au/showroom/rivera-amplification/combos/rivera-clubster-royale-112-black.html

They are a lot like the amps fender used to make before they sold out in the post Leo years.

sammydog
20-06-2016, 04:17 PM
Have you heard Rivera Combos ? http://www.jacksmusic.com.au/showroom/rivera-amplification/combos/rivera-clubster-royale-112-black.html

They are a lot like the amps fender used to make before they sold out in the post Leo years.

I love Rivera stuff, I have their Rockcrusher to tame the volume on my 100W heads. Quality stuff.

Hadn't been looking at their combos though as I'd been looking second hand and hadn't seen anything come up. What does come up seems to really hold its value. Always heaps of Marshall and Fender second hand and the prices reflect that. A JTM60 in good condition seems to be in the $500 ball park, a Rivera would be going $1200 plus.

Haven't ruled out a clone from Ceriatone.

My fall back option is to just get a 2x12 cabinet and then maybe a lower watt head in the future. Although with the Rockcrusher thats not an issue, its more the physical size of the setup I have issues with at the moment.

The Dunster
20-06-2016, 04:43 PM
I love Rivera stuff, I have their Rockcrusher to tame the volume on my 100W heads. Quality stuff.

Hadn't been looking at their combos though as I'd been looking second hand and hadn't seen anything come up. What does come up seems to really hold its value. Always heaps of Marshall and Fender second hand and the prices reflect that. A JTM60 in good condition seems to be in the $500 ball park, a Rivera would be going $1200 plus.

Haven't ruled out a clone from Ceriatone.

My fall back option is to just get a 2x12 cabinet and then maybe a lower watt head in the future. Although with the Rockcrusher thats not an issue, its more the physical size of the setup I have issues with at the moment.

There is an AC30 Custom Classic on gumtree for $850 http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/maryland/guitars-amps/vox-ac30-guitar-amplifier/1110734496

If I was in the market I'd probably offer them $550 or so given that it's not an original so it's value will fall over time, and it probably will need a retube sooner rather than later, and more importantly it doesn't have the alnico speakers which is a big part of the classic vox sound.

sammydog
20-06-2016, 04:55 PM
There is an AC30 Custom Classic on gumtree for $850 http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/maryland/guitars-amps/vox-ac30-guitar-amplifier/1110734496

If I was in the market I'd probably offer them $550 or so given that it's not an original so it's value will fall over time, and it probably will need a retube sooner rather than later, and more importantly it doesn't have the alnico speakers which is a big part of the classic vox sound.

Ive been looking at that one. For some reason Ive not been able to actually make the jump to buying a Vox, despite a number of guitar players I like using them. The $850 does seem a bit high though.

Every amp I find that I want to buy always ends up being in Castle Hill. Buggered if I am driving that far to test an amp thats probably had a hard life.

sammydog
21-06-2016, 12:02 PM

Now you have me wanting that Vox. Bit of research and the big trade off between the CC2 in the add v's the newer C2 is;

- the CC2 is a solid 13 ply birch cabinet v's MDF on the C2
- the CC2 has Walfdale speakers v's the Celestion Greenbacks in the C2
- Tubes are a lot easier to get at in the C2
- Tube rectifier in the CC2 v's Solid State in the C2.

Big selling point for me is the birch construction. I don't want an amp thats going to fall apart at the first sign of beer spillage. Speakers can be changed, and the rectifier issue is a matter of taste.

I think I'll throw an offer on the amp.

The Dunster
21-06-2016, 12:15 PM
Now you have me wanting that Vox. Bit of research and the big trade off between the CC2 in the add v's the newer C2 is;

- the CC2 is a solid 13 ply birch cabinet v's MDF on the C2
- the CC2 has Walfdale speakers v's the Celestion Greenbacks in the C2
- Tubes are a lot easier to get at in the C2
- Tube rectifier in the CC2 v's Solid State in the C2.

Big selling point for me is the birch construction. I don't want an amp thats going to fall apart at the first sign of beer spillage. Speakers can be changed, and the rectifier issue is a matter of taste.

I think I'll throw an offer on the amp.

The first time I heard "I feel Fine" by the Beatles I wanted an AC30.

The Dunster
08-08-2016, 04:51 PM
https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8208/28810772446_bfff0ca60b_b.jpg
https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8730/28227051343_f56711ea20_b.jpg

Love the look and the sound of the LP but hated playing them. Until this last week whereby I finally found 3 that were nice to play.

Hence I've joined the DarkSide with this Tokai LP Custom.

The Japanese electronics are ok but some CTS pots and new pickups down the track should make it a lot better.

Bon
08-08-2016, 06:13 PM
Bloody hell.. Looks really nice man!!

sammydog
09-08-2016, 09:49 PM
Tokai make stuff equal to gibson. What pickups does it have in it?

I'm contemplating doing something really silly and buying an ESP KH2. Ever since my high school days I have wanted a guitar with EMG81's in it, now there is one for sale asking me to buy it.

The Dunster
10-08-2016, 12:37 AM
Tokai make stuff equal to gibson. What pickups does it have in it?

I'm contemplating doing something really silly and buying an ESP KH2. Ever since my high school days I have wanted a guitar with EMG81's in it, now there is one for sale asking me to buy it.

It has the japanese mk4 vintage tokai humbuckers. ok in crunch or overdrive mode but very muddy for clean stuff.
ANy suggestions for pickups?

Retro Jet
10-08-2016, 01:09 AM

I was learning the piano when I was about 7, however learning all of those things was boring and far from fun.. (Although, I curse myself now every day that I didn't stick with it and learn it all properly at that age, I would shred now and actually understand whats going on, instead of just getting drunk and being a hack)
So while I think that down the track the kid will thank you for the theory lessons (if they can stick with it), I can see why playing songs and music you enjoy at the time is also a lot easier and enjoyable and perhaps open the doors to learning the technical stuff later on..

www.scottsbasslessons.com

There's still hope... :wink:

skippy
10-08-2016, 08:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM1VK8xgl38

For anyone that wants to feel vastly inferior about their music abilities.

The Dunster
10-08-2016, 10:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0T9TIpIJ8s

Here is an 8 yr old Frano playing guitar with his hero Tommy Emmanuel. Unbelievable that a kid so young can play so well.

sammydog
10-08-2016, 12:42 PM
It has the japanese mk4 vintage tokai humbuckers. ok in crunch or overdrive mode but very muddy for clean stuff.
ANy suggestions for pickups?

In my Les Paul I have Gibson 490 and 498 pickups, my ES 339 as a Classic 57 Set. Both good, but the Les Paul is a lot hotter.

Seymour Duncan Peary gates could be a good option, what sound are you looking for?

The Dunster
10-08-2016, 05:22 PM
In my Les Paul I have Gibson 490 and 498 pickups, my ES 339 as a Classic 57 Set. Both good, but the Les Paul is a lot hotter.

Seymour Duncan Peary gates could be a good option, what sound are you looking for?

I want a little more top end on the clean sound - the rest I can get with a pedal or two.

Obviously not expecting the glassy sound of my strats but the Japanese pickups really struggle to separate the notes of any chord when on the neck pick up.

I was thinking about the Seymour Duncan 59's or the Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary.

Will probably buy from the states as well given the prices here for Seymour Duncan's is off the charts. Musoscorner as an example are double the price I can get em shipped from USA to my door. More than likely the importer / distributor is giving everyone a caning on price and the music shops don't have a choice.

sammydog
10-08-2016, 07:38 PM
I want a little more top end on the clean sound - the rest I can get with a pedal or two.

Obviously not expecting the glassy sound of my strats but the Japanese pickups really struggle to separate the notes of any chord when on the neck pick up.

I was thinking about the Seymour Duncan 59's or the Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary.

Will probably buy from the states as well given the prices here for Seymour Duncan's is off the charts. Musoscorner as an example are double the price I can get em shipped from USA to my door. More than likely the importer / distributor is giving everyone a caning on price and the music shops don't have a choice.

Duncan 59's are good. Look up the Pearly Gates as well.

I think the Gibson 57's may fit your bill. Lots of options.

I wouldn't buy Duncan in this country. They keep stuff all in stock, so you wait months (I'm not kidding) for it and pay a premium. On line is the go for sure. I tried getting Seymour Duncan Antiquities for my Strat and Jag and the guitar shop basically said if they don't have them in stock, don't bother. I went with fender Custom Shop stuff.

sammydog
11-08-2016, 10:03 PM
So, this accidentally came home with me today. Not my usual style of instrument, but I have wanted one of these since the Black Album came out. ESP KH-2.

Guitar came with the original ESP case, which is as nice as my two gibson cases. I do love a good case. COA has been long lost though, shame as I like that sort of stuff.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k316/sammydogg/ESP/IMG_4764.jpg (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/sammydogg/media/ESP/IMG_4764.jpg.html)

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k316/sammydogg/ESP/IMG_4765.jpg (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/sammydogg/media/ESP/IMG_4765.jpg.html)

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k316/sammydogg/ESP/IMG_4767.jpg (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/sammydogg/media/ESP/IMG_4767.jpg.html)

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k316/sammydogg/ESP/IMG_4769.jpg (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/sammydogg/media/ESP/IMG_4769.jpg.html)

This is with my 6 year olds KH Junior.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k316/sammydogg/ESP/IMG_4774.jpg (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/sammydogg/media/ESP/IMG_4774.jpg.html)

The Dunster
25-08-2016, 10:34 AM
Nice guitar. I've seen these for LP Standard type prices on Reverb.com. Or am I thinking of a different version ?

sammydog
25-08-2016, 08:22 PM
Nice guitar. I've seen these for LP Standard type prices on Reverb.com. Or am I thinking of a different version ?

From what I am finding on the net, they are going second hand in the US for more like 2 - 3 times that I paid. ESP in Japan have verified the guitar and its manufacture year, and the different serial numbers on the headstock and neck plate so I think I just got a bargain

Brand new, LP Standard and above on price.

Very different guitar to my LP Standard, as you would expect. But it is such a nice feeling and playing guitar. Makes a lot of other guitars of a similar style that I have played (mainly Ibanez) feel like toys in your hands.

Its a keeper for sure.

The Dunster
25-08-2016, 08:43 PM
Have you heard of Kurosawagakki in Japan ? http://www.kurosawagakki.com

Really good service and some top notch products on offer.

Grimario
26-08-2016, 10:38 AM
My brother bought a guitar years ago and it's apparently sat in it's case for all but two days since then. I think I am going to pick it up and try to learn how to play.

Any tips/tutorials/resources for self teaching online?

The Dunster
26-08-2016, 10:59 AM
My brother bought a guitar years ago and it's apparently sat in it's case for all but two days since then. I think I am going to pick it up and try to learn how to play.Any tips/tutorials/resources for self teaching online?

Do it. It is very rewarding to be able to make music and probably one of the best things for relaxation I know of.

TO learn to play you need to devote a minimum of 40 mins a day, 7 days a week towards structured practice.
Those who do less usually give up playing within a few months or so.
The most important thing is that you always make your time on the guitar constructive and for that you need a structured lesson plan.

The Beginner course at Justin Guitar is free and very good.

http://www.justinguitar.com/

Grimario
26-08-2016, 11:04 AM
Beautiful, thank you. Exactly what I was after and my own google searches had mixed results and ad filled horror sites.

The Dunster
13-09-2016, 09:27 PM
I went hunting for a new telecaster and this was the result.

John Page Classic AJ. it's probably not going to hold value like a vintage Tele or a custom shop but it's that good I can't see myself ever selling it anyway.

[urlhttps://flic.kr/p/LdU6x9][img]https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8417/29025660194_78359a22a3_b.jpg

sammydog
13-09-2016, 10:24 PM
I'm not a tele guy, but that is nice. Hows it sound/play?

Must be my turn to buy something? I am eyeing off a second hand mexican tele, but its got EMG81's in it, so its a tele by looks only. Problem is, there is a Clone of a Marshall Plexi Super Lead I am eyeing off. Can probably get one, definitely not both......which way to go?

John Page Classic AJ. it's probably not going to hold value like a vintage Tele or a custom shop but it's that good I can't see myself ever selling it anyway.

I don't buy my guitars thinking about resale. I know my Les Paul Standard is worth a lot more than when i bought it, but the rest of them I couldn't see increasing.

The Dunster
13-09-2016, 10:56 PM
I'm not a tele guy, but that is nice. Hows it sound/play?

Must be my turn to buy something? I am eyeing off a second hand mexican tele, but its got EMG81's in it, so its a tele by looks only. Problem is, there is a Clone of a Marshall Plexi Super Lead I am eyeing off. Can probably get one, definitely not both......which way to go?

I played mine a few weeks ago for a few hours before I bought it. Went back a fortnight later -played it for an hour and a half again and pulled the pin on one. Best tele I have ever played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9Nb-RbolYU

The Dunster
07-11-2016, 07:31 PM
Only two people on this forum have guitar pics to post - no wonder the clubs heading towards another spoon.:)

hawk
07-11-2016, 08:00 PM
I went for US strat w humbucker. can do clean or jump back into Seattle 90's

http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/hssspecsbstrat2hjhjg.jpg

sammydog
07-11-2016, 08:40 PM
Only two people on this forum have guitar pics to post - no wonder the clubs heading towards another spoon.:)

When it all inevitably goes to shit, at least I can play guitar.

I may have bought another that amp in my last post as well.

A Ceriatone hand wired clone of a 50W Plexi with a 1968 circuit. Unbelievable sound with the Les Paul.

sammydog
07-11-2016, 08:41 PM
I went for US strat w humbucker. can do clean or jump back into Seattle 90's

http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/hssspecsbstrat2hjhjg.jpg

Nice. I think if I was getting strat again it would have to have thew humbucker in the bridge. Ive never been able to get on with the bridge sound in my strat, which is a shame as its an awesome playing guitar.

The Dunster
08-11-2016, 11:08 AM
Nice. I think if I was getting strat again it would have to have thew humbucker in the bridge. Ive never been able to get on with the bridge sound in my strat, which is a shame as its an awesome playing guitar.

Hawks chosen well - he could play pretty much anything on that guitar. I rarely if ever even use the bridge single coil on my Strat. However, on my G&l S-500 it has a MFD single coil at the bridge which is high output and passable enough.
My Les Paul Custom though I mostly use the bridge pickup on as it sounds awesome - especially playing Foo Fighters and that sorta thing.

hawk
23-11-2016, 07:09 PM
I went hunting for a new telecaster and this was the result.

[urlhttps://flic.kr/p/LdU6x9][img]https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8417/29025660194_78359a22a3_b.jpg

mate took one of these last week. He is in love. doesnt sleep anymore.

looking for a smaller body semi acou under 1k. so many to choose from

Bon
06-02-2017, 09:04 AM
For about a year now, I've been keeping my eye out for any Spector basses going for sale. Got lucky on Thursday and saw two that I purchased from the same seller on eBay..
A Spector NSJ2 Special Edition walnut, and a Spector Euro LX5 green.. (I used pictures from online, as this damn forum wouldnt let me upload the pics I took myself)
I organised to drive down to Sydney to pick them up and exchange the cash on Saturday.
I'd never bought anything worth that much online, so was a little nervous and hesitant about rocking up to a random place with a large amount of cheddar in the wallet..
Knocked on the door of the house, and it was opened by this older guy, nicest dude ever.. Explained he had heaps of basses and that he just wanted some of them go to someone that would use and enjoy them..
He told me to check some of his stuff out online when I got home and just to look up his name..
Turns out it was Harry Brus from Australian Crawl!! (Also played for Jimmy Barnes, Billy Thorpe, Blackfeather, etc)
Pretty damn stoked.. Gave me an awesome deal too, what a legend!

http://www.guitar-list.com/sites/default/files/styles/model_display/public/gearpics/spector-ns-2j.jpg?itok=POG1Gkb4

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Michael777celloman/Euro5LXGreenStaincollage2.jpg

pv4
06-02-2017, 09:11 AM
Bass Wanker

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/8UT-2ovTLSo/maxresdefault.jpg

Bon
06-02-2017, 09:11 AM
:lulzturtle: :lulzturtle: :lulzturtle: :lulzturtle:

The Dunster
06-02-2017, 09:59 AM
Nice Basses Bon.

Harry Brus is an awesome bass player and a very good guitarist and Keyboard player as well. He's best known for being Kevin Borich's bass player.
I remember him mostly playing Fender P Basses.

Bon
06-02-2017, 10:03 AM
Nice Basses Bon.

Harry Brus is an awesome bass player and a very good guitarist and Keyboard player as well. He's best known for being Kevin Borich's bass player.
I remember him mostly playing Fender P Basses.

He showed me his white Spector (his fave), absolutely beautiful bass...
When i checked online, I found this video of him going batshit on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QZDk8NpAac

Bon
11-05-2017, 09:52 AM
So after a month of indecision and weighing up the pros/cons, I finally decided to purchase this badboy:

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/fender-bassman-300-pro-809246.jpg

Fender Bassman Pro 300 head.. (Basically a re-badged Sunn 300T).. With a Fender Bassman Pro 4x10 box..
The tone that comes out of it... :fap::fap:
HOWEVER..
Being all tube, its a wide and heavy bastard..
I've already had some issues with fuses blowing (due to one of the 6 x 6550 power tubes eating a dick), however I have a good mate that knows his way around that stuff who is all about fingering it..

The Dunster
11-05-2017, 11:42 AM
So after a month of indecision and weighing up the pros/cons, I finally decided to purchase this badboy:

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/fender-bassman-300-pro-809246.jpg

Fender Bassman Pro 300 head.. (Basically a re-badged Sunn 300T).. With a Fender Bassman Pro 4x10 box..
The tone that comes out of it... :fap::fap:
HOWEVER..
Being all tube, its a wide and heavy bastard..
I've already had some issues with fuses blowing (due to one of the 6 x 6550 power tubes eating a dick), however I have a good mate that knows his way around that stuff who is all about fingering it..

Love Fender Bass amps - awesome with guitars as well as basses.

Check out Evatco for tubes - everything they sell is guaranteed and they test what they sell using modern testing equipment - unlike the idiots on Ebay.

http://www.evatco.com.au/

Matched sets of Tung-sols for under $400.

http://www.evatco.com.au/product-list/audio-tubes/6550-tung-sol-matched-sextet/

Bon
11-05-2017, 01:37 PM
Love Fender Bass amps - awesome with guitars as well as basses.

Check out Evatco for tubes - everything they sell is guaranteed and they test what they sell using modern testing equipment - unlike the idiots on Ebay.

http://www.evatco.com.au/

Matched sets of Tung-sols for under $400.

http://www.evatco.com.au/product-list/audio-tubes/6550-tung-sol-matched-sextet/

Thanks for the link mate..
I've replaced a pair of them, just need to pick up one of the 110mA fuses for that pair from Jaycar on the way home this arvo..
Then the afore mentioned mate will come round to bias it, and then in theory will be fine to gig with.. In theory..

The Dunster
11-05-2017, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the link mate..
I've replaced a pair of them, just need to pick up one of the 110mA fuses for that pair from Jaycar on the way home this arvo..
Then the afore mentioned mate will come round to bias it, and then in theory will be fine to gig with.. In theory..

It will be fine. These amps are pretty much bullet proof.

One tip though - never turn it on unless it's connected to a speaker / cabinet. The reason is that if the unit is not coupled then it places a lot of stress on the output transformer.

With tubes blowing it's usually a case of being biased too hot which places stress on the tube and decreases the load on the output transformer.

Trick is find the middle ground where both the transformer and the tubes are both happy. Easily solved with a multimeter.

sammydog
12-05-2017, 04:34 PM
Any of you you know of a good 2x12 guitar amp someone is trying to off-load?

I'm thinking AC30 (not the current version made from mdf)

I'm getting old and lugging the Marshall and a 4x12 just isn't fun anymore.

sammydog
12-05-2017, 04:37 PM
It will be fine. These amps are pretty much bullet proof.

One tip though - never turn it on unless it's connected to a speaker / cabinet. The reason is that if the unit is not coupled then it places a lot of stress on the output transformer.

With tubes blowing it's usually a case of being biased too hot which places stress on the tube and decreases the load on the output transformer.

Trick is find the middle ground where both the transformer and the tubes are both happy. Easily solved with a multimeter.

I've blown an amp before from miss matching speaker impedance. Not fun.

I get my tubes from Eurotubes. Never had a problem, but second the call to make sure it's biased properly.

The Dunster
23-05-2017, 11:44 AM
Any of you you know of a good 2x12 guitar amp someone is trying to off-load?

I'm thinking AC30 (not the current version made from mdf)

I'm getting old and lugging the Marshall and a 4x12 just isn't fun anymore.

There is a Hand Wired version of the AC30 available as well which is based on the original. with birch ply cabinetry. It's model No. is AC30HW2X

http://www.bettermusic.com.au/vox-ac30-hand-wired-2x12-guitar-amp-combo-w-celestion-alnico-blue-speakers

You can get them a lot cheaper than that link as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVi9ZPYQdp0

sammydog
23-05-2017, 01:10 PM
There is a Hand Wired version of the AC30 available as well which is based on the original. with birch ply cabinetry. It's model No. is AC30HW2X

http://www.bettermusic.com.au/vox-ac30-hand-wired-2x12-guitar-amp-combo-w-celestion-alnico-blue-speakers

You can get them a lot cheaper than that link as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVi9ZPYQdp0

Ive just decided in the end to get a 2x12 cabinet with Vintage 30's and use my Hand Wired Plexi Clone 50W head.

Gives me more options in the future if I want to change amps. Plus its cheaper in the short term, the Orange Cabs are a very good price.

The Dunster
23-05-2017, 04:30 PM
Ive just decided in the end to get a 2x12 cabinet with Vintage 30's and use my Hand Wired Plexi Clone 50W head.

Gives me more options in the future if I want to change amps. Plus its cheaper in the short term, the Orange Cabs are a very good price.

You must be playing decent size venues - even through a 2x12 a 50w Marshall / Plexi has some serious volume to get it sounding right.

Do you have something else to play around on at home or do you run a load box to tame the beast like a Rivera Mini Rock ?
I love Marshalls on albums but from a personal standpoint I could never get them to work unless they were almost ready to explode my ear drums.

sammydog
23-05-2017, 10:11 PM
You must be playing decent size venues - even through a 2x12 a 50w Marshall / Plexi has some serious volume to get it sounding right.

Do you have something else to play around on at home or do you run a load box to tame the beast like a Rivera Mini Rock ?
I love Marshalls on albums but from a personal standpoint I could never get them to work unless they were almost ready to explode my ear drums.

Rivera Rock Crusher.

I also have a 100W JCM900 head and a 70's 150W Baez. The attenuator is a must, none of my amps work at home volumes without it. Even at gigs it is used to knock a few decibels off the volume.

The Dunster
24-05-2017, 06:39 PM
I just installed a TonePros TB3T on to my Tokai Les Paul Custom. Noticeable improvement over the original bridge with it's rattling retainer wire.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4226/34820799306_a2dab287a8_b.jpg

The Dunster
24-05-2017, 06:44 PM
And for anyone wanting to know how to remove the old bushings from a Tunomatic bridge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykWHdRypMUM

Bon
01-06-2017, 11:32 AM
Any of you boys using any pedals or effects in your rigs? (I know that Dunster, being the purist that he is, may have something to say about/against them? haha)

sammydog
01-06-2017, 02:00 PM
Any of you boys using any pedals or effects in your rigs? (I know that Dunster, being the purist that he is, may have something to say about/against them? haha)

I guess the pedals you use depend on the amp you use and the music you play.

If I am running the Marshall JCM900 head, generally I wont run any pedals, maybe a wah.

If I'm using the Plexi clone, I will use a bunch of different pedals, but only as boosts and colouration to my main sound. That said, I can be a bit of a pedal whore. My pedal board currently has;

BBE Supa Charger Power Supply
Dunlop Wah
Old Fuzz Face (Germanium Diode) (Fuzz)
Fulldrive OCD Clone (Overdrive)
Way Huge Red Llama (Overdrive)
Wage Huge Swollen Pickle (Fuzz)
MXR ABY Box

Then in my rack I have a Korg Tuner and my Rivera Rockcrusher.

I have an old Digitec Whammy II that I don;t use, but its pretty cool when the mood strikes. One of those things that I am not really sure why I bought it, I hardly use it, but wont get rid of it.

The Dunster
01-06-2017, 02:41 PM

Ok. This what I am currently running with a Roland Blues Cube Artist

BBE Mindbender - Chorus / Vibrato
BBE Two Timer - Analog Delay
BBE Blacksmith - Distortion
BBE 427 - Distortion [This replaced a Boss SD-1 - which I could never get to sound right with this amp]
MXR - Phase 90
BBE PSU
Out of that lot the Two-Timer / Analog delay is pretty much used 95% of the time. I rarely if ever use reverb or tremelo
The distortion pedals are really only used when I need to keep the volume down and don't run it through the drive channel
The Phase 90 Can sound amazing or totally shit depending on your rig and where you put it. For me it's got to be the first pedal in the chain and must go directly into the distortion pedals or directly to the drive channel.
The analog delay and Chorus / Vibrato go directly to the fx loop.

hawk
01-06-2017, 05:43 PM
Ok. This what I am currently running with a Roland Blues Cube Artist

BBE Mindbender - Chorus / Vibrato
BBE Two Timer - Analog Delay
BBE Blacksmith - Distortion
BBE 427 - Distortion [This replaced a Boss SD-1 - which I could never get to sound right with this amp]
MXR - Phase 90
BBE PSU
Out of that lot the Two-Timer / Analog delay is pretty much used 95% of the time. I rarely if ever use reverb or tremelo
The distortion pedals are really only used when I need to keep the volume down and don't run it through the drive channel
The Phase 90 Can sound amazing or totally shit depending on your rig and where you put it. For me it's got to be the first pedal in the chain and must go directly into the distortion pedals or directly to the drive channel.
The analog delay and Chorus / Vibrato go directly to the fx loop.

Boss SD-1!!

how good was that in the 90's

The Dunster
01-06-2017, 09:11 PM
Boss SD-1!!

Very popular especially as a boost pedal. Mine sounded awesome running with a 59 Bassman but could never get it to fire up with my current amp.

You can still buy them for like $60 new which is incredible value.

What I found though is they don't like super clean amps - they much prefer to go into something that's on the verge of breaking up.

sammydog
01-06-2017, 09:26 PM
Boss SD-1!!

I picked up a modded SD-1 for my son. He loves it.

sammydog
01-06-2017, 09:27 PM
I'm actually after an Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man, and a Radial Head VT. Once I have those, my pedal quest is over.

Very popular especially as a boost pedal. Mine sounded awesome running with a 59 Bassman but could never get it to fire up with my current amp.

You can still buy them for like $60 new which is incredible value.

What I found though is they don't like super clean amps - they much prefer to go into something that's on the verge of breaking up.

But who wants a super clean amp anyway? What good can come from a super clean amp?

None.

The Dunster
01-06-2017, 10:02 PM
I'm actually after an Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man, and a Radial Head VT. Once I have those, my pedal quest is over.

The last thing I purchased was a Tone Pros Bridge for my Tokai Les Paul. Prior to that the last guitar I bought was back in September 2016 [which is a record for me and probably has local music shops looking to lay off staff if I don't get my act together soon.

Pedal wise I might add a compressor in the future but I'm not in a rush to do so.

The Dunster
10-07-2017, 09:34 PM
It's been nearly a year since I last pulled the pin on a new guitar. Today I went and played a few Gibson Hummingbirds [reissues]. For a $7000 guitar I cannot believe how cheap they feel. The build on them is ok but if you closed your eyes you would not think they were an expensive guitar. Sound wise - they are very bright but also have a bit of bottom end as well - but it's a sound you either love or hate.
Overall, I prefer Collings, Cole Clark, Maton Custom, and Larrivee acoustics.

Anyone here played or own any Gibson acoustics ? I might have just played some duds.

sammydog
10-07-2017, 09:38 PM
It's been nearly a year since I last pulled the pin on a new guitar. Today I went and played a few Gibson Hummingbirds [reissues]. For a $7000 guitar I cannot believe how cheap they feel. The build on them is ok but if you closed your eyes you would not think they were an expensive guitar. Sound wise - they are very bright but also have a bit of bottom end as well - but it's a sound you either love or hate.
Overall, I prefer Collings, Cole Clark, Maton Custom, and Larrivee acoustics.

Anyone here played or own any Gibson acoustics ? I might have just played some duds.

I assume you've played the same ones I have. They don't do it for me, but I know a few people raving about them.

Ive actually been fighting the urge to make a cheap guitar purchase off Gumtree. A 2011 Gibson Explorer Melody Maker. Mahogony neck, backed maple fretboard, maple body and a single pickup. $650.

I still think I should hold out for a LP Junior

The Dunster
11-07-2017, 04:16 PM
The LP Juniors with the single P90 kick arse. They had one awhile ago at Jack [Music Headquarters] not sure it is still there or not but it was under a grand which I guess is pretty good.

sammydog
11-07-2017, 05:10 PM
The LP Juniors with the single P90 kick arse. They had one awhile ago at Jack [Music Headquarters] not sure it is still there or not but it was under a grand which I guess is pretty good.

I'm in there twice a week for kids lessons, and Ive not seen one, so I guess its long gone. But thats exactly what I want.

Ive not seen on e recently for under $1,300 unless its a 2015 model, and thats a year I'm staying clear of.

The Dunster
11-07-2017, 06:07 PM
I'm in there twice a week for kids lessons, and Ive not seen one, so I guess its long gone. But thats exactly what I want.

Ive not seen on e recently for under $1,300 unless its a 2015 model, and thats a year I'm staying clear of.

The one I played was red in colour and a trade in - so 2nd hand - but in good condition. Was probably close to a year ago now though come to think of it.

21-08-2017, 04:08 AM
Both good, but the Les Paul is a lot hotter.

The Dunster
21-08-2017, 11:17 AM
Both good, but the Les Paul is a lot hotter.

Which model / year Les Paul are you saying is hotter ? You do realise they originally came with single coils on them and that the Humbuckers came later ?

sammydog
21-08-2017, 12:50 PM
Which model / year Les Paul are you saying is hotter ? You do realise they originally came with single coils on them and that the Humbuckers came later ?

Not sure if he means hotter as in output, or that a LP Standard is a better (hotter) guitar than a Melody Maker or LP Junior.

I have a Les Paul, no need for a second one....unless it has P90's or Mini Humbuckers.

I did score myself an AC30 Handwired Head though. It is insane, now I can't work out why I waited so long to get a Vox.

sammydog
26-10-2017, 03:50 PM
Looking for opinions/options/suggestions.

I need a 2x12 cab as I am not moving around a 4x12 anymore. My son can have that when he is older.

I want something with Celestion Green Backs and it will only be used with my AC30 and 50W Plexi so the power handling only needs to be 50W. If I have to drag the JCM900 out, I'll drag the 4x12.

The Marshall 2x12 uses either V30's of GT-75's.
Orange use V30's
Two Rock are over priced as are the Rivera Cabs.

the only production cab I can find with Greenback speakers is the Vox 2x12. Happy with that except its MDF. Now I'm not all corksniffing over the sound qualities of MDF v Ply construction. I'm more concerned about weight and more importantly longevity of the cab. MDF isn't good with moisture and Ive been known to spill beers playing and its not always clear weather to transport back to the car.

Any other suggestions or should I just go the Vox?

hawk
26-10-2017, 05:05 PM
disappointing how electrical and sound equipment is housed in mdf. ply at least

sammydog
26-10-2017, 05:30 PM
disappointing how electrical and sound equipment is housed in mdf. ply at least

Id hate to think how much spilt beer an MDF cab would soak out of a pub carpet. I'm thinking Custom Built from Birch Ply. A guy in sydney does them for reasonable prices. There is nothing second hand, well not with the Greenbacks I want.

Marshall has finally gone back to ply for the 1936 cabinet, Vox just went the other way with all their amps.

The Dunster
30-10-2017, 04:46 PM
Id hate to think how much spilt beer an MDF cab would soak out of a pub carpet. I'm thinking Custom Built from Birch Ply. A guy in sydney does them for reasonable prices. There is nothing second hand, well not with the Greenbacks I want.

Marshall has finally gone back to ply for the 1936 cabinet, Vox just went the other way with all their amps.

What about the Rivera K212 ? They are built like tanks and come with Celestions.

http://www.rivera.com/product/cabinets/sedona-115-ext/

sammydog
30-10-2017, 10:29 PM
What about the Rivera K212 ? They are built like tanks and come with Celestions.

http://www.rivera.com/product/cabinets/sedona-115-ext/

I like the rivera stuff, but I don't like the price premium is comes with. I played the V30 version with my 50W Plexi and really really liked it, but it was very pricey compared to similar cabs. I do own some Rivera gear and its quality, but for a cab thats only going to be beat up gigging, I'm not looking top of the line.

I think if I wanted V30's Id jump on a second hand orange cab.

I'm really set on Greenbacks though as its primarily for a Vox AC30-HW head. I looked at Alnico Blues, but actually liked the dirtier Greenbacks. Id just grab a Vox cab if they weren't MDF.

plague
08-11-2017, 09:46 AM
So I was listen to a song the other day and a dude was singing and in the background there was some guitar playing. I immediately thought to myself ‘man that sounds like Mark Knopfler’.

Anyway after looking it up it was indeed him, so it got me thinking: just by tone/style etc who do you think is the most recognisable guitarist going around?

Obviously everyone gonna have wayyyy different tastes etc, but is there anyone, no matter what they are playing that you say ‘ahhh that’s him’.

Coz in contemporary music I’d prob say Knopfler, the dude from U2 and maybe Angus Young come to mind.

Anyone else?

Macca
08-11-2017, 09:58 AM
I think John Frusciante is up there.
Tommy Emmanuel as well, although its a dark path heading into virtuoso territory cause probably everyone down there you could call recognisable.
Knopfler is a good shout though.

plague
08-11-2017, 10:02 AM
I think John Frusciante is up there

Oh this is a good one.
Prob put Dave Navarro in there (maybe) too as he def took his Janes Addiction sound with him. Didn’t even try and replicate the Chili Peppers sound.

sammydog
08-11-2017, 11:17 AM
So I was listen to a song the other day and a dude was singing and in the background there was some guitar playing. I immediately thought to myself ‘man that sounds like Mark Knopfler’.

Anyway after looking it up it was indeed him, so it got me thinking: just by tone/style etc who do you think is the most recognisable guitarist going around?

Obviously everyone gonna have wayyyy different tastes etc, but is there anyone, no matter what they are playing that you say ‘ahhh that’s him’.

Coz in contemporary music I’d prob say Knopfler, the dude from U2 and maybe Angus Young come to mind.

Anyone else?

Players for me that are instantly recognisable where ever they play.

- Slash
- The Edge
- Kirk Hammett
- BB King
- Doug Aldrich
- Dave Gilmore
- Brian May

There is heaps more, but thats what jumps to mind quickly

plague
08-11-2017, 12:00 PM
Ok there’s a couple on your list I’m not entirely familiar with but Jesus how did I not remember Brian May he’d have to be in the top 3.

Great call.

StannyCFCJET
08-11-2017, 12:02 PM

Anyone else?

From my Music tastes.
Bille Joe from Green Day
Tom Delonge from Blink 182/Angels and Airwaves

pv4
08-11-2017, 12:39 PM
I've always found Tom Morello's sound pretty distinctive.

I'm not sure how instantly recognisable compared to others but whilst on this subject I just wanna give Gary Clarke Jr a shout too.

WolfMan
08-11-2017, 04:05 PM
Does this include acts that sound the same for every track? If so, throw in the truly terrible Stonefield of JJJ Unearthed High "fame".

Honestly, listen to 1 song. Then stop. You have effectively ingested their whole back/future catalogue.

plague
08-11-2017, 04:32 PM
Does this include acts that sound the same for every track? If so, throw in the truly terrible Stonefield of JJJ Unearthed High "fame".

Honestly, listen to 1 song. Then stop. You have effectively ingested their whole back/future catalogue.

Prob more to do with hearing a bit of guitar somewhere random and immediately recognising the guitarist.

Hence whilst Slash is pretty good gotta admit I had no idea it was him on MJ’s ‘Black or White’ even though I’d heard it a million times.

I thought BB King was a good one but I’ve no idea about that ‘type’ of muso to know if he was unique or if every dude sounded like that.

WolfMan
08-11-2017, 05:34 PM
Fair call. I’ve been waiting to stick the boot in to those hack sisters for a while now.

Carry on

sammydog
08-11-2017, 07:36 PM

Id been thinking along the lines of guitarists that are distinctive despite the band/genre they are playing in. Artists whop have played in more than one band that still sound like them.

Prob more to do with hearing a bit of guitar somewhere random and immediately recognising the guitarist.

Hence whilst Slash is pretty good gotta admit I had no idea it was him on MJ’s ‘Black or White’ even though I’d heard it a million times.

I thought BB King was a good one but I’ve no idea about that ‘type’ of muso to know if he was unique or if every dude sounded like that.

See I thought slash on MJ's stuff sounded like slash. Same with his stuff on Lenny Kravitz, Slash's Snake Pit, Velvet Reveolver and his new solo stuff. To my ears he as a very distinct tone and articulation in the way he plays.

BB King is the same. His tone and phrasing really make him stand out compared to other blues players.

Actually, Ace Frehely and SRV are probably two more for the list.

pv4
08-11-2017, 08:26 PM

I'd listen to every song if they all had the put your curse on me choir tbh

The Dunster
14-11-2017, 09:02 PM
Id been thinking along the lines of guitarists that are distinctive despite the band/genre they are playing in. Artists whop have played in more than one band that still sound like them.

See I thought slash on MJ's stuff sounded like slash. Same with his stuff on Lenny Kravitz, Slash's Snake Pit, Velvet Reveolver and his new solo stuff. To my ears he as a very distinct tone and articulation in the way he plays.

BB King is the same. His tone and phrasing really make him stand out compared to other blues players.

Actually, Ace Frehely and SRV are probably two more for the list.

Eddie Van Halen
Mike Bloomfield
Joe Satriani
Jerry Reed
Jerry Garcia
Malcolm Young
Jimi Hendrix
Pete Townsend
Peter Green
Rory Gallagher
Eric Johnson
Duane Allman
Jeff Beck
Carlos Santana
Ritchie Blackmore
Dickey Betts
Billy Gibbons......
Edit: Johnny Winter - Best Firebird player ever.
Nile Rodgers

There are soooo many.

If I could play like anyone it would be Mike Bloomfield - especially with Paul Butterfield Blues Band and Elvin Bishop supporting him on rhythm guitar.

The Dunster
14-11-2017, 09:50 PM
This blows my mind each time I watch it - Blokes half asleep, hung over, and wrestling 13 gauge strings on a strat - and as soon as he looks at the drummer it just explodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grBmQwLSlDw

baldrick
15-11-2017, 07:09 AM
I've just realised where this thread's title came from (I'm a bit slow sometimes..)

Well played sir

The Dunster
18-11-2017, 10:06 PM
I need someone to set up my strat. My eyesight's too farked these days to do it and fook me is it hard finding anyone in Newcastle with even half a clue about it. Have taken it to Music Headquarters twice and it's been completely shit each time - it comes back rattling / buzzing and fretting out on bends - not to mention the fact the radius is wrong as well.. Will probably end up spending $500 and taking it to Sydney rather than tossing $50 at people that just don't have a farking clue what they are doing. Does anyone here know a luthier or anyone with an idea how to set up a guitar with a floating two point bridge, independent saddles, and magnetic field pickups?
It's possible the nut needs work or worse still the neck might have a problem - The frets are plekd so I doubt that will be an issue.

sammydog
18-11-2017, 10:40 PM
I always liked the work of Mark at the old Warner’s Bay shop. Don’t know where he is now.

People seem to recommend Len Biglin in Charlestown. He is on Facebook if you need a contact.

Jetmaster
19-11-2017, 01:15 PM
I'll mention three:

Chuck Berry - the main man.
Bo Diddley - the jungle sound.
Rick Parfitt - gave Quo the memorable chug-chug-chug sound.

The Dunster
19-11-2017, 01:56 PM
I'll mention three:

Chuck Berry - the main man.
Bo Diddley - the jungle sound.
Rick Parfitt - gave Quo the memorable chug-chug-chug sound.

I'll add Link Wray to the list as well -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucTg6rZJCu4

sammydog
21-11-2017, 01:54 PM
Looking at two Les Paul Juniors at the moment, both 2009 models.

Always wanted a Junior, bet they dont seem to pop up for sale unless its a 2015 model, which I hate the neck of. Anyone got any experience with 2009 Gibsons, mine are all early 90's and Ive not played on of circa 2009. Curious what the quality is like. I'm not a fan of the faded paint on them, but can live with it.

The Dunster
21-11-2017, 02:25 PM
Looking at two Les Paul Juniors at the moment, both 2009 models.

Always wanted a Junior, bet they dont seem to pop up for sale unless its a 2015 model, which I hate the neck of. Anyone got any experience with 2009 Gibsons, mine are all early 90's and Ive not played on of circa 2009. Curious what the quality is like. I'm not a fan of the faded paint on them, but can live with it.

The 2009 like any post Kalamazoo Gibson is always going to be a lottery. Most are fine but considering the prices a few too many sub par efforts make it into the market place as well.

They still have thin necks as well - which I personally don't like. Much prefer the old style necks with plenty of meat.

The electronics on them are suspect as well in typical Gibson fashion - but easily replaced.

Bon
21-11-2017, 03:44 PM
Whilst talking about Gibson..
What do you fellas know about their Thunderbird basses? I've read some extremely mixed reviews..

The Dunster
21-11-2017, 04:19 PM
What do you fellas know about their Thunderbird basses? I've read some extremely mixed reviews..

Look a lot like the Firebird - and those bad boys neck dive like there is no tomorrow.

evolution
21-11-2017, 04:28 PM

Always wanted one, alas they don't make them for lefties so it's a Fender Jazz for me.

sammydog
21-11-2017, 04:51 PM
The 2009 like any post Kalamazoo Gibson is always going to be a lottery. Most are fine but considering the prices a few too many sub par efforts make it into the market place as well.

They still have thin necks as well - which I personally don't like. Much prefer the old style necks with plenty of meat.

The electronics on them are suspect as well in typical Gibson fashion - but easily replaced.

All my Gibsons have the in-between neck. Not the superset baseball bat necks of the 50's, but not the 60's super thin necks. I'm not a fan of the really thick necks.

sammydog
21-11-2017, 04:52 PM

All I know is my daughter wants one.

Its a bass, there isn't much interesting about them.

The Dunster
21-11-2017, 05:33 PM
If I was to ever join the darkside I'd get a Music Man Stingray.

The Dunster
21-11-2017, 05:35 PM
All my Gibsons have the in-between neck. Not the superset baseball bat necks of the 50's, but not the 60's super thin necks. I'm not a fan of the really thick necks.

I've never even touched a 50's Les Paul. In Australia we never got them - 1960 was the first issue of the Les Paul to come here [Friends one had a pretty thick neck from memory though - but I'm thinking back to around 1981 or so ]- and it was only a handful of guitars as well - then the SG shaped LP arrived.

The Dunster
21-11-2017, 05:38 PM
Always wanted one, alas they don't make them for lefties so it's a Fender Jazz for me.

I'm left handed as well - but the lack of variety was killing me so I taught myself to play as a righty. Best move I ever made - and not that difficult.

sammydog
23-11-2017, 10:29 PM
So, this followed me home today.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/1301/juah34097fcrqzz4g.jpg (http://www.mediafire.com/view/juah34097fcrqzz/IMG_1924.JPG)
http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/a582/x4iux21d08u6au04g.jpg (http://www.mediafire.com/view/x4iux21d08u6au0/IMG_1927.JPG)
http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/efe9/74kt7bia8yayttu4g.jpg (http://www.mediafire.com/view/74kt7bia8yayttu/IMG_1929.JPG)

hawk
23-11-2017, 10:37 PM
nice. hows it feel compared to the everyday strat?

sammydog
23-11-2017, 11:23 PM
Compared to my strat, its a lot more lively. Sound is completely different, but thats to be expected. Plugged in it a lot more versatile than I was expecting from a single pickup guitar.

Played so many strats with different necks though that is is hard to compare.

Feel wise, I like it. The neck is very similar to my other Gibson necks. I wasn't sure how I would like the satin finish on the neck, but I am really happy with it. Feels quiet good, although the pain it very thin so I think it will wear.

I think I've finally found my backup guitar when playing out. Only issue is my son has fallen in love with it as well, so there could be a few fights.

The Dunster
27-11-2017, 01:25 PM
Compared to my strat, its a lot more lively. Sound is completely different, but thats to be expected. Plugged in it a lot more versatile than I was expecting from a single pickup guitar.

Played so many strats with different necks though that is is hard to compare.

Feel wise, I like it. The neck is very similar to my other Gibson necks. I wasn't sure how I would like the satin finish on the neck, but I am really happy with it. Feels quiet good, although the pain it very thin so I think it will wear.

I think I've finally found my backup guitar when playing out. Only issue is my son has fallen in love with it as well, so there could be a few fights.

P90's are one of the most versatile pickups you can get. They sound great clean and even better when you push them hard through something like a Super lead or a Rectifier.

The Dunster
27-11-2017, 01:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kvJ1aceD6s

sammydog
27-11-2017, 02:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kvJ1aceD6s

That video just keeps giving. They actually look proud of themselves at the end.

To be fair, they nailed the vocals.

Bass player reminds me of Bon for some reason. and WTF was the guitar player thinking, everyone knows you cant play GnR on a strat?

Bon
27-11-2017, 02:29 PM
That video just keeps giving. They actually look proud of themselves at the end.

Bass player reminds me of Bon for some reason. and WTF was the guitar player thinking, everyone knows you cant play GnR on a strat?

Is this for real? haha.. Look, we have all been there, gotta start somewhere!
I think the guitarist has bigger problems than his choice of guitar.. haha

The Dunster
27-11-2017, 02:31 PM

How good is the drummer ? He's come up with his own unique time signatures and patterns. True innovator.

sammydog
27-11-2017, 02:34 PM
Is this for real? haha.. Look, we have all been there, gotta start somewhere!
I think the guitarist has bigger problems than his choice of guitar.. haha

Start somewhere, yep. Post the start on the internet........Ummmmm.

How good is the drummer ? He's come up with his own unique time signatures and patterns. True innovator.

Maybe, just maybe they are so far ahead of their time that we just don't get it.

Bon
27-11-2017, 02:36 PM
Start somewhere, yep. Post the start on the internet........Ummmmm.

Well, that just comes down to poor life choices..
Sort of like picking up a guitar instead of a bass.. :gent:

sammydog
27-11-2017, 02:41 PM
Well, that just comes down to poor life choices..
Sort of like picking up a guitar instead of a bass.. :gent:

Played both in bands, I know which is the better life choice.

The Dunster
20-12-2017, 10:15 PM
Acoustic Guitar Strings - I'm giving up on Elixir Nanowebs - the quality control is piss poor. Have had several sets not last even 6 hours before the coating comes off and they start buzzing due to non uniform thickness.

Probably go back to the Dean Markley Signature Acoustic Bronzes and be done with it. Grass is greener and all that - but the Elixirs are just plain terrible.

Actually, coated strings in general I hate.

Macca
21-12-2017, 08:42 AM
Acoustic Guitar Strings - I'm giving up on Elixir Nanowebs - the quality control is piss poor. Have had several sets not last even 6 hours before the coating comes off and they start buzzing due to non uniform thickness.

Probably go back to the Dean Markley Signature Acoustic Bronzes and be done with it. Grass is greener and all that - but the Elixirs are just plain terrible.

Actually, coated strings in general I hate.

I love the Elixirs. Perfect for someone like me who's lazy and leaves strings on for ages. Still sound great after a couple years.

EDIT: Although now that you mention it - I have heard a weird buzzing for a while not that wasn't fret buzzing, it almost sounds like a weird harmonic sound on a couple of the strings that's more pronounced at certain frets. Is that similar to what you experienced?

The Dunster
21-12-2017, 09:24 AM
I love the Elixirs. Perfect for someone like me who's lazy and leaves strings on for ages. Still sound great after a couple years.

EDIT: Although now that you mention it - I have heard a weird buzzing for a while not that wasn't fret buzzing, it almost sounds like a weird harmonic sound on a couple of the strings that's more pronounced at certain frets. Is that similar to what you experienced?

If you can see black deposits on your strings it will be the same issue. For some people it's not a problem but for someone with OCD it's pure torture.

Do you like the feel of the Eliir Nanowebs ? The sound I'm ok with but they feel really greasy / slippery to me as well.

The Dunster
04-02-2018, 06:44 PM
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4605/25201176047_0b1805657b_c.jpg
Made in Japan Ibanez Prestige RG. I finally managed to squeeze one into the collection. Great guitar to play, very versatile and the build quality and components are 1st class.

I played a few Fender Pro series Strats today - Conclusion - garbage. Like Gibson, Fender don't make anything decent anymore unless it's from their custom shop. Then it's $6k or more for a Strat and 9k plus for a Les Paul in a market where other brands do it better for half the price. The Mexican and Indo / Chinese Fenders and Squiers are much better value for anyone other than cork sniffers.

I played a Korean PRS SE Custom today as well - absolutely wonderful little guitar. Anyone with $1000 or so to spend on a guitar should look no further.

Bon
05-02-2018, 10:27 AM
Nice Ibanez mate.. (First guitar I ever bought was an Ibanez RX back as a young shiner, before I made the smart move of going to bass..)
How does it sound?
I hope you are going to get out the Boss HM-2 pedal for it.. :rof:

I've been keeping an eye out lately for any Warwick Thumb basses going cheaply (which isn't happening) and stumbled across a bloke (in QLD) selling a Warwick Dolphin Pro 5.. Every review I've read has been that its one of the best basses they've played, etc.. But for that kind of cash, I don't want to buy it off of just reviews, I would want to be playing it.. Problem is, they are quite rare and its hard to find anywhere to have a go on one of the badboys..

http://media.musiciansfriend.com/is/image/MMGS7/Dolphin-Pro-I-5-String-Bass/519125000000000-00-500x500.jpg

The Dunster
05-02-2018, 10:58 AM
I find with the more expensive guitars and probably basses no two are the same so you really need to play them first. Especially vintage gear where most of the "famous" models rarely live up to the hype.

sammydog
06-02-2018, 10:39 AM
Nice Ibanez mate.. (First guitar I ever bought was an Ibanez RX back as a young shiner, before I made the smart move of going to bass..)
How does it sound?
I hope you are going to get out the Boss HM-2 pedal for it.. :rof:

I've been keeping an eye out lately for any Warwick Thumb basses going cheaply (which isn't happening) and stumbled across a bloke (in QLD) selling a Warwick Dolphin Pro 5.. Every review I've read has been that its one of the best basses they've played, etc.. But for that kind of cash, I don't want to buy it off of just reviews, I would want to be playing it.. Problem is, they are quite rare and its hard to find anywhere to have a go on one of the badboys..

http://media.musiciansfriend.com/is/image/MMGS7/Dolphin-Pro-I-5-String-Bass/519125000000000-00-500x500.jpg

Just buy the thing, sell it if you dont like it,

I cant think of any reasons not to buy it.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4605/25201176047_0b1805657b_c.jpg
Made in Japan Ibanez Prestige RG. I finally managed to squeeze one into the collection. Great guitar to play, very versatile and the build quality and components are 1st class.

I played a few Fender Pro series Strats today - Conclusion - garbage. Like Gibson, Fender don't make anything decent anymore unless it's from their custom shop. Then it's $6k or more for a Strat and 9k plus for a Les Paul in a market where other brands do it better for half the price. The Mexican and Indo / Chinese Fenders and Squiers are much better value for anyone other than cork sniffers.

Nice Guitar. My first proper electric was an Ibanez EX. It was a variation of the RG in the

I think the secret with Gibson is to go second hand. There are some good finds if you are patient. Ive played some good new Gibson, but there is a lot of rubbish with VERY obvious flaws that should never have made it out of the factory.

If you are buying fender though, Japan is the place to shop. The Japanese fenders are really good. Id elevate them above the Mexican fenders, but they are a similar price.

The Dunster
06-02-2018, 02:03 PM
Bon - Buy the Warwick Dolphin Pro 5 - if you don't like it you won't lose any money or have issues finding a new owner for it.

Sammydog - Agree 2nd hand is the only way to shop for Gibson's - The later production Kalamazoo issues are still affordable - I can see them becoming ridiculously valued in ten years time and all of us wishing we'd bought them when we had the chance.

New Gibson's are essentially finished in Australia. The current distributor own's Billy Hydes and another shop in Melbourne - looks like he's going to be making himself the only place to buy Gibson / Epiphone in Australia [Not confirmed - but looks to be the case with Gibson removing pretty much everyone else from their supply chain.].

I'm a big fan of Japanese guitars. I have a Tokai Lawsuit Les Paul, a Vintage telecaster, and now an Ibanez Prestige. All three of them are better built than the US equivalents I have owned. The fret work on the Ibanez [and it's not an expensive guitar [ $1800 street price] destroys anything else I own including my Custom Shop Strat.

However, not all Japanese Fenders are created equally. The good vintage ones can still cost you $5k or more - the cheaper ones are somewhere in between a Mexican and a US made Fender build / quality and price wise.

In the used market though you can get some nice Tokai LP's for under $3k - but the under $1k bargains seem long gone now

Macca
06-02-2018, 02:46 PM
My first guitar I bought was a Crafter acoustic for around $700, which I believe are Korean made. Pretty good guitars for the price I think. Mine was only a stage body one, so a bit quiet - but my mate bought a full body one that was I think around $1100 and its a very nice guitar to listen to and play.

Macca
06-02-2018, 02:54 PM
While I'm here - it seems a few of you guys are quite into the electric guitar side of things which I know little to nothing about. I don't know much about either the guitar or the amp side of things - in my naivety it seems like most of the sound comes from what you plug it into, so are you mainly looking for playability and feel from the guitar (besides the pickup arrangement) or is there more to it?

If i was looking to head in that direction and start fiddling around with some more verbatim covers of rock songs and learn some riffs etc, realistically what sort of stuff should I be looking to grab since a lot of subtleties will be lost on me?
I feel like having played mainly acoustic for so long, my musical brain is so much more attuned to the melodic side of things rather than tone and the particular "sound"

The Dunster
06-02-2018, 03:53 PM
While I'm here - it seems a few of you guys are quite into the electric guitar side of things which I know little to nothing about. I don't know much about either the guitar or the amp side of things - in my naivety it seems like most of the sound comes from what you plug it into, so are you mainly looking for playability and feel from the guitar (besides the pickup arrangement) or is there more to it?

If i was looking to head in that direction and start fiddling around with some more verbatim covers of rock songs and learn some riffs etc, realistically what sort of stuff should I be looking to grab since a lot of subtleties will be lost on me?
I feel like having played mainly acoustic for so long, my musical brain is so much more attuned to the melodic side of things rather than tone and the particular "sound"

Simple.

Squier Affinity Telecaster $375 or so and absolutely awesome because you can play anything on them.

Peavey Bandit 112 Red or Blue Stripe Combo Amp 2nd hand for $200 or less.

This combo will play anything you care to name from Jazz Standards, to Led Zeppelin, and back to Blues or Country.

The tone is in the fingers not the gear. Jimmy Page plays the solo in Stairway to Heaven on a telecaster in the studio and live with a Les Paul and I doubt anyone could pick the difference - and the two guitars are nothing even remotely alike.

hawk
13-02-2018, 02:53 PM
My first guitar I bought was a Crafter acoustic for around $700, which I believe are Korean made. Pretty good guitars for the price I think. Mine was only a stage body one, so a bit quiet - but my mate bought a full body one that was I think around $1100 and its a very nice guitar to listen to and play.

I have the orchestral solid top,back sides in dark timber. Timber isnt premium but does a darn good job. Smaller size lets ya sink into a lounge and learn bad habits

Bon
11-04-2018, 11:22 AM
Any of you gents know much about shielding a bass/guitar?
I'm getting plenty of noise that I'm pretty fed up with.. Don't touch anything and its a big hum, touch the strings and it goes away..
I've been reading up on what could be the potential problem, and it seems I need to use a copper foil tape or a conductive paint on the inside of my control and pickup cavities to block out outside interference..

The Dunster
11-04-2018, 12:18 PM
Any of you gents know much about shielding a bass/guitar?
I'm getting plenty of noise that I'm pretty fed up with.. Don't touch anything and its a big hum, touch the strings and it goes away..
I've been reading up on what could be the potential problem, and it seems I need to use a copper foil tape or a conductive paint on the inside of my control and pickup cavities to block out outside interference..

Has it always done it or is it something that just started happening ?

If it's just started happening you might simply have a dry joint on the ground wire - which can be easily fixed by just re-flowing the solder on it.

On the cavity side of things the conductive paint or something carbon / graphite based can work - but it can also flake after awhile which means it can foul pots and switches.

The copper foil tape can work but it can also not work as well if you have a grounding issue as mentioned previously or if you are in a room which generates a bit too much RF from lights or other objects.

My advice would be to check the grounding wire and also change rooms to see if it goes away.

Bon
11-04-2018, 12:27 PM
Has it always done it or is it something that just started happening ?

If it's just started happening you might simply have a dry joint on the ground wire - which can be easily fixed by just re-flowing the solder on it.

On the cavity side of things the conductive paint or something carbon / graphite based can work - but it can also flake after awhile which means it can foul pots and switches.

The copper foil tape can work but it can also not work as well if you have a grounding issue as mentioned previously or if you are in a room which generates a bit too much RF from lights or other objects.

My advice would be to check the grounding wire and also change rooms to see if it goes away.

Cheers mate..

The hum has always been there, apparently its pretty common in basses, but I feel like its definitely become more prolific of late..

I'll open her up and have a look at the grounding wire when I get home..

On a side note, that Warwick Dolphin Pro5 that was going for $2400 that I was contemplating buying a while back.. Didn't buy it..
However another one has just come up for sale in Sydney, this time for $4k... Fvck..

Bon
19-04-2018, 10:05 AM
Update for Dunster..

I took the bass to my amp/guitar man.. He's checked the insides, all internal wiring and shielding appears to be fine..
He discovered that its the neck pickup (EMG active J) that's causing the noise..
So either I deal with it, and don't use that pickup.. Or replace it..

The Dunster
23-04-2018, 05:16 PM
Update for Dunster..

I took the bass to my amp/guitar man.. He's checked the insides, all internal wiring and shielding appears to be fine..
He discovered that its the neck pickup (EMG active J) that's causing the noise..
So either I deal with it, and don't use that pickup.. Or replace it..

Crazy question but are you using a stereo or mono output jack ? Because from what I remember EMG active pickups won't function correctly with a mono output jack.

Bon
24-04-2018, 07:58 AM
Crazy question but are you using a stereo or mono output jack ? Because from what I remember EMG active pickups won't function correctly with a mono output jack.

Scarily, I wouldn't have a clue.. I would assume its stereo.
I'll open her up when I get home and have a look..
From my extensive knowledge (and by that, I mean from my quick googling) stereo has 3 terminals hot/ground/battery, and mono has 2 terminals hot/ground, right???

The Dunster
24-04-2018, 12:28 PM
Scarily, I wouldn't have a clue.. I would assume its stereo.
I'll open her up when I get home and have a look..
From my extensive knowledge (and by that, I mean from my quick googling) stereo has 3 terminals hot/ground/battery, and mono has 2 terminals hot/ground, right???

Yes.

hawk
24-04-2018, 06:49 PM
know thy jacks

Bon
10-08-2018, 08:43 AM
Question for the guitar/bass kids on here.. (I'm lookin' at you Dunster)
Now that I'm back from OS, finally opened up my Spector NS2J to get on to sorting out the bad neck pickup..
Both neck and bridge pickups are EMG SJ5's which I am led to believe is for a 5 string, yet this bass is a 4 string. (???)
I'm looking to buy a replacement (still not sure if I should get a replacement pair and just change out both, or only the faulty neck one)..
I can't find anywhere if these are the standard pickups that go in it, or if this is actually a customization that the last owner did..

Summing it up, I don't want to spend a couple of hundred bucks on pickups that wont work, wont fit the slots, sound sh!t, etc.. So I wanted to make sure of what I'm buying or see if you guys had any experience in this stuff..

edit: Also, with EMG I thought SJ pickups were for the neck, and LJ were for the bridge. But this badboy has an SJ5 in both..

The Dunster
10-08-2018, 08:57 AM
Question for the guitar/bass kids on here.. (I'm lookin' at you Dunster)
Now that I'm back from OS, finally opened up my Spector NS2J to get on to sorting out the bad neck pickup..
Both neck and bridge pickups are EMG SJ5's which I am led to believe is for a 5 string, yet this bass is a 4 string. (???)
I'm looking to buy a replacement (still not sure if I should get a replacement pair and just change out both, or only the faulty neck one)..
I can't find anywhere if these are the standard pickups that go in it, or if this is actually a customization that the last owner did..

Summing it up, I don't want to spend a couple of hundred bucks on pickups that wont work, wont fit the slots, sound sh!t, etc.. So I wanted to make sure of what I'm buying or see if you guys had any experience in this stuff..

edit: Also, with EMG I thought SJ pickups were for the neck, and LJ were for the bridge. But this badboy has an SJ5 in both..

I don't know much about Basses - but as far as having two SJ5 pickups that's not really an issue given they probably don't have the same output anyway and that they will sound different placed near the bridge than they will the neck position.

In my RG Prestige I have a Dimarzio Tone at the bridge and Dimarzio Air Norton in the neck position. I know people that have them the other way round - it really doesn't matter. All that matters is finding the sound / tone you like / want.

Bon
10-08-2018, 09:06 AM
I don't know much about Basses - but as far as having two SJ5 pickups that's not really an issue given they probably don't have the same output anyway and that they will sound different placed near the bridge than they will the neck position.

In my RG Prestige I have a Dimarzio Tone at the bridge and Dimarzio Air Norton in the neck position. I know people that have them the other way round - it really doesn't matter. All that matters is finding the sound / tone you like / want.

Ok, cheers mate.. Better than any advice I would have gotten from that hipster sammydog.. :gent:
I'm just going to replace them like for like I think..
I'm more concerned about making sure that they are fitting in the pickup slots than anything else.

sammydog
10-08-2018, 10:01 AM
I'm just going to replace them like for like I think..

I'm more concerned about making sure that they are fitting in the pickup slots than anything else.

With my EMG's I use an 81 in the bridge and neck. Current trend seems to be an 85 in the neck. Just use what works.

If you are worried about dimensions, the EMG website has all the dimensions on there for each pickup. Here is the LJ/SJ sheet http://www.emgpickups.com/media/productfile/s/j/sj_lj_instructions_0230-0151rb.pdf

Not sure if it works with the Bass EMG pickups, but I power my EMGs with 18v power. Gives the pickups a lot more headroom, worth a try if you have space for an extra battery.

Ok, cheers mate.. Better than any advice I would have gotten from that hipster sammydog.. :gent:

Hipster? Me? With a balding mullet? Surely you jest.

You though......honestly, you are the first player I have ever seen that has to stand in front of the mirror in the sheds and groom themselves before a training game.

Bon
16-08-2018, 10:27 AM
Still waiting for my EMG's to turn up...
BUT
In the meantime I took the plunge and purchased the Darkglass Microtubes 900 amp.. (My Fender Bassman Pro 300 shat the bed again last week. Amazing sound but very poor reliability..)
Had a quick bash on it last night before hitting up the Cambo, and in just half an hour i was getting some bloody brilliant tones through the new head.. Can't wait to sit down and sort a sound out properly.
Old head was fragile as fvck and weighed 30kg, this one weighs 2.9kg!!!!!

https://media.sweetwater.com/api/i/q-82__ha-cd88fec91c580520__hmac-646c1d9fb9d10a26dde935c83abb755c3131e532/images/items/750/Micro900Med-large.jpg

sammydog
16-08-2018, 10:57 AM
Looks good, nice an small for lugging as well.

What was on at the Cambo? I was at the Wicko for Eddie Spaghetti. Awesome show, shit turn out.

Bon
16-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Looks good, nice an small for lugging as well.

What was on at the Cambo? I was at the Wicko for Eddie Spaghetti. Awesome show, shit turn out.

It was Silent Planet, the band that you were panning me about at training last week.. :rof:
Gotta say, I haven't been to a weeknight metal show in Newy for a long while (not since my glory days, haha), and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the metal scene is still alive and going relatively well..

The Dunster
16-08-2018, 11:43 AM
Serious GAS issues at the Dunster household this past week or so.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1815/43343051864_a52c032834_h.jpg

Carr Rambler 1x 12 Pure Class A circuit with 2 x 6L6 Tubes delivering 14w in triode and 26w in Pentode
G&L Legacy [USA] Pine Body, Maple Neck with Rosewood Fretboard, Sperzel Tuners.

The Dunster
16-08-2018, 11:51 AM
Still waiting for my EMG's to turn up...
BUT
In the meantime I took the plunge and purchased the Darkglass Microtubes 900 amp.. (My Fender Bassman Pro 300 shat the bed again last week. Amazing sound but very poor reliability..)
Had a quick bash on it last night before hitting up the Cambo, and in just half an hour i was getting some bloody brilliant tones through the new head.. Can't wait to sit down and sort a sound out properly.
Old head was fragile as fvck and weighed 30kg, this one weighs 2.9kg!!!!!

It's unbelievable how far switchmode power supplies have come in recent years. The weight savings are incredible. Very nice bit of gear Bon.
Fender haven't made high quality amps for a very long time - still sound great but parts and build quality is atrocious.

sammydog
16-08-2018, 12:26 PM
It was Silent Planet, the band that you were panning me about at training last week.. :rof:
Gotta say, I haven't been to a weeknight metal show in Newy for a long while (not since my glory days, haha), and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the metal scene is still alive and going relatively well..

Would have been 20-30 people at Eddie Spaghetti. I was expecting it to be packed, so the turnout was disappointing. that said promotion was non existent. New Supersuckers song the played sounded awesome though.

sammydog
16-08-2018, 12:28 PM

Carr Rambler 1x 12 Pure Class A circuit with 2 x 6L6 Tubes delivering 14w in triode and 26w in Pentode

Nice.

I was going to pull the trigger on a second hand Les Paul Special this week. Asked the seller a question about a mark on the neck...........the add got pulled. I may have dodged a bullet.

Bon
16-08-2018, 12:44 PM

I've never heard of Carr?? How does it go? (I just did a quick google and seems some big names like Billy Gibbons and Keith Richards use them)
Nice buy with the G&L!!! Sexy.. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have been cheap.. haha

The Dunster
16-08-2018, 12:46 PM
I'm looking for an overdrive pedal at the moment. Any recommendations ? Looking more blues orientated than metal if that helps.

Bon
16-08-2018, 12:56 PM
I'm looking for an overdrive pedal at the moment. Any recommendations ? Looking more blues orientated than metal if that helps.

Sammydog would know more than me about that.. For bass I use a Darkglass Alpha Omega..
I've had mates that have rated the Ibanez TS808 and also banged on about the Fulltone Fulldrive and OCD pedals, these also seem quite popular on forums/google haha..
The guitarist in our cover band uses the blue Boss one, can't remember the code of it.. BD-2 I think.

sammydog
16-08-2018, 01:57 PM

Ive found overdrive pedals really change depending on the amp. Ive got pedals that sound great through the Vox and terrible through the plexi.

Being Class A, the Carr should take pedals really well.

Do you need an overdrive or would a boost do the job?

In my pedalboard at the moment I use;

- Red Llama Overdrive/Boost
- Fulltone OCD Clone (more of a distortion)
- Clone of a Keely Modded Boss AC2

I am searching for a Treble Booster at the moment, not much luck finding one. Also want a Soul Food (boost/overdrive).

The other guitarist in my band uses a modded Boss Blues driver and it sounds really nice.

The Dunster
16-08-2018, 03:03 PM
Ive found overdrive pedals really change depending on the amp. Ive got pedals that sound great through the Vox and terrible through the plexi.

Being Class A, the Carr should take pedals really well.

Do you need an overdrive or would a boost do the job?

In my pedalboard at the moment I use;

- Red Llama Overdrive/Boost
- Fulltone OCD Clone (more of a distortion)
- Clone of a Keely Modded Boss AC2

I am searching for a Treble Booster at the moment, not much luck finding one. Also want a Soul Food (boost/overdrive).

The other guitarist in my band uses a modded Boss Blues driver and it sounds really nice.

Thanks.

I want to check out the Way Huge Saucy, Plimsoul, and the Ibanez Tube Screamer.

I've had the Boss Sd-1 but not a fan and moved it to a new home. Although I heard one in a Plexi and it sounded great.

Currently I'm using a BBE Blacksmith but it's a little over the top.
I also have a BBE 427 but it sounds terrible on the Rambler - best described as all pedal no amp sound if you know what I mean.

Bon
22-11-2018, 11:28 AM
So where is this guitar that you were purchasing on Tuesday, sammydog??

sammydog
22-11-2018, 03:02 PM
So where is this guitar that you were purchasing on Tuesday, sammydog??

Picking it up on Sunday.

It's a 1989 Gibson Melody Maker. Ferrari Red.

They were a bit different from 1986 - 1989 and instead of a single coil had 490T Humbuckers, so it should be an interesting guitar. I probably would have passed on it without the Humbucker.

The Dunster
25-11-2018, 02:03 PM
I'd like a Gibson Marauder but very difficult to find a good one these days - would love to see Gibson reissue them.

sammydog
25-11-2018, 11:42 PM
I'd like a Gibson Marauder but very difficult to find a good one these days - would love to see Gibson reissue them.

Picked up the Melody Maker today, already loving it.

The pickup is a "Gibson The Original HB-L". A funny looking thing with a circuit on the back. A bout cleaner than most hum buckers, I'll see how it goes but I may swap it out.

Surprisingly resonant unplugged given the thin body. Really nice neck, not the super chunky gibson neck.

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/477a/il6e0uvvjcu35l56g.jpg
https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/e2f2/nlrt3y3t3syf1c96g.jpg
https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/31f8/6l6b85v3oauamd06g.jpg
https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/2ae2/46rde6a6j2br7k06g.jpg

The Dunster
28-11-2018, 12:02 PM
First time I ever saw a Marauder was in this clip over 40 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObG9bBJFcIM

sammydog
20-01-2019, 09:24 AM
Hey Bon, you got much experience with Mexican Fender Jazz Basses.

I’d been looking for a second hand Japanese Fender for my daughter, but nothing reasonable has come up, just the low end basses.

Now looking at going new, either the Claasic 70’s (https://shop.fender.com/en-AU/electric-basses/jazz-bass/70s-jazz-bass/0132003300.html) or the Geddy Lee (https://shop.fender.com/en-AU/electric-basses/jazz-bass/geddy-lee-jazz-bass/0147702300.html).

She played both and loved them, I’m inclined to go the classic 70’s. Does the high mass bridge on the Geddy make that much difference.

Everything else is similar spec except neck shape and slightly better pickups on the Geddy.

Bon
21-01-2019, 09:29 AM
Hey Bon, you got much experience with Mexican Fender Jazz Basses.

I’d been looking for a second hand Japanese Fender for my daughter, but nothing reasonable has come up, just the low end basses.

Now looking at going new, either the Claasic 70’s (https://shop.fender.com/en-AU/electric-basses/jazz-bass/70s-jazz-bass/0132003300.html) or the Geddy Lee (https://shop.fender.com/en-AU/electric-basses/jazz-bass/geddy-lee-jazz-bass/0147702300.html).

She played both and loved them, I’m inclined to go the classic 70’s. Does the high mass bridge on the Geddy make that much difference.

Everything else is similar spec except neck shape and slightly better pickups on the Geddy.

I have zero experience with any Fender basses, just their amps..
How old is she now? The only worry I would have, is spending a lot of money on a bass and having her lose interest (however, I know music runs deep in your fam, so perhaps that's not even an issue)

Just from checking out the two links I'd say the Classic 70's too.. The Geddy Lee looks very similar and I think at this level there wouldn't be a huge difference in tones. I would have thought the high mass bridge would have been more for dealing with picking/plucking real hard and stopping it from going out of tune easily?

Sorry I am not much help, mate.. haha..
Let me know which one you end up getting her, lucky kid..

sammydog
21-01-2019, 10:27 AM
I have zero experience with any Fender basses, just their amps..
How old is she now? The only worry I would have, is spending a lot of money on a bass and having her lose interest (however, I know music runs deep in your fam, so perhaps that's not even an issue)

Just from checking out the two links I'd say the Classic 70's too.. The Geddy Lee looks very similar and I think at this level their wouldn't be a huge difference in tones. I would have thought the high mass bridge would have been more for dealing with picking/plucking real hard and stopping it from going out of tune easily?

Sorry I am not much help, mate.. haha..
Let me know which one you end up getting her, lucky kid..

Ordered the 70's earlier today.

She has been playing bass for two years on a short scale squire. She has outgrown it, and I wanted her to have something decent without going over the top.

The Geddy worried me because the neck was really thin, almost ibanez like. I didnt find it all all comfortable, sound wise it was amazing. The 70's has a bit more meat to hang onto, but still that narrow jazz nut.

To be honest, I kind of want a decent bass at home to be able to record stuff with anyway, so if she does stop playing (unlikely) its all good.

sammydog
29-01-2019, 10:52 PM
Picked up the Fender Jazz 70's reissue today for my daughter.

Bugger me, it is an awesome instrument. I usually don't buy a guitar before playing, but this thing turned out better than anything we tried beforehand (including some near twice the price). Neck is sexy (feel and look of the wood), sound is typical Jazz Bass.

While I was initially hunting for a Japanese Bass, the Mexican stuff appears to have lifted its game in a big way.

Best thing, my daughter hasn't stopped belting out the Bon Jovi all afternoon.

The Dunster
29-01-2019, 11:51 PM
It doesnt matter if a Fender was made in the USA or Mexico - because either way it was built by a Mexican

The Dunster
30-01-2019, 02:15 PM
Dave Gilmour will be auctioning 120 of his guitars / amps / pedals through Christies this year. [June 20th]

https://www.christies.com/features/David-Gilmour-legendary-Black-Strat-comes-to-auction-9637-1.aspx

Pay no attention to the estimates as they are ridiculously pessimistic.

The 54 Strat with serial no. #0001 will go for over a million dollars, and his 69 Strat used on DSOTM could possibly hit $2m.

Even the 55 Gold Top listed at $30to50k will go for well over $200k given it's history and use on The Wall.

Bon
31-01-2019, 02:44 PM

Bugger me, it is an awesome instrument. I usually don't buy a guitar before playing, but this thing turned out better than anything we tried beforehand (including some near twice the price). Neck is sexy (feel and look of the wood), sound is typical Jazz Bass.

While I was initially hunting for a Japanese Bass, the Mexican stuff appears to have lifted its game in a big way.

Awesome!!!
Have you learnt "Pretty Fly For A White Guy" on it yet??? :gent:

sammydog
31-01-2019, 10:26 PM
Awesome!!!
Have you learnt "Pretty Fly For A White Guy" on it yet??? :gent:

Unfortunately I’m not allowed to touch it.

I have nailed it on guitar though and will be putting together an Offspring cover band. I was called out and have to take it to it’s ultimate conclusion.

evolution
01-02-2019, 09:09 AM

I bought a Mexican Fender Jazz bass about 8 years ago and it is still going strong. Got a cool little 30w Orange amp to play it through a year ago and it sounds great. I have a 200w Randall amp as well but it's a bit of overkill for jamming to The Darkness at home :rof:

I visited Ochanomizu (Guitar street) in Tokyo last year and played some very sexy basses which would have set me back a shitload of yen but really they didn't sound that much better!

The Dunster
05-02-2019, 11:00 AM
I was looking at Gumtree and came upon this ad. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/underwood/guitars-amps/guitar-collection/1180737551

Sort of feel sorry for the bloke thinking any of this shit is worth anything let alone $25k.

The guitars are all budget versions and I don't think the album cover paint work is doing anything for their value either.

Bon
05-02-2019, 11:10 AM
I was looking at Gumtree and came upon this ad. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/underwood/guitars-amps/guitar-collection/1180737551

Sort of feel sorry for the bloke thinking any of this shit is worth anything let alone $25k.

The guitars are all budget versions and I don't think the album cover paint work is doing anything for their value either.

I want to write to the guy and ask if he would sell them individually.. hahaha

But yeah, jokes aside.. $25k for 19 budget guitars that have a picture on them??
Wtf is he thinking?

The Dunster
12-02-2019, 03:05 PM
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7859/32126297837_859055a887_b.jpg

New to the house of Dunster. 59 Gretsch G6128T

sammydog
12-02-2019, 03:20 PM
Nice, sort of makes my new delay pedal purchase seem a bit tight arse.

The Dunster
12-02-2019, 03:36 PM
Nice, sort of makes my new delay pedal purchase seem a bit tight arse.

Which delay did you get ?

sammydog
12-02-2019, 04:44 PM
Which delay did you get ?

Boss DM-2W

I'm new to the world of delay type effects, but it seems pretty nice.

The Dunster
12-02-2019, 08:24 PM
Nice bucket brigade delay. I have a bbe two timer which is a simular design.

Great for slapback effect.

sammydog
12-02-2019, 11:13 PM
Nice bucket brigade delay. I have a bbe two timer which is a simular design.

Great for slapback effect.

I'm almost thinking I need two, one for my country tone (don't ask) and one to

Bon
13-02-2019, 10:55 AM
Bloody nice looking Gretsch, Dunster!

The Dunster
09-05-2019, 03:47 PM
I don't like to laugh at other peoples expense but near pissed myself reading this ad on Gumtree.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/maitland/guitars-amps/keith-urban-s-guitar-brand-new-3-500ono/1217618376

Bon
09-05-2019, 03:49 PM
I don't like to laugh at other peoples expense but near pissed myself reading this ad on Gumtree.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/maitland/guitars-amps/keith-urban-s-guitar-brand-new-3-500ono/1217618376

Wtf...

sammydog
09-05-2019, 11:22 PM
Wtf...

I'm not sure WTF covers it. You sir are being way too kind.

Bon
10-05-2019, 08:01 AM
I'm not sure WTF covers it. You sir are being way too kind.

hahahaha..
The sad bit is that there is some scrote out there that will buy the bloody thing..

The Dunster
10-05-2019, 12:49 PM
Anyone noticed guitar manufacturers squeezing their margins with cost cutting on materials and quality ?

Gibson have made it an art form to sell shit guitars to mongs for ridiculous prices.

Current rrp price for a Les Paul 59 reissue is $12,000 - that's just insane. Yet idiots are buying them [usually non players as well].

The latest Gibson con is they have a LP called the 50's Standard which is around $5k but has sfa to do with the originals [different pickups, bridge, electronics, tuners, and design has a short tenon join not a long one like an original... and so on].

I like Gibson's - if you find a good one they are magnificent - but it's not a cult I want to be a member of and as such I got rid of mine a while back.

Fender are not much better these days - even the Custom Shop guitars have issues - it's not until you get into the MasterBuilt custom shop ones that you get the really nice ones ?

But $25,000 for a new guitar that's unlikely to appreciate in value ? No thanks - that's insane.

G&L used to be all special / custom builds and were very affordable $1800-$2500 to your spec in a case. Now they are $4k plus so more than doubled in price. The Fullerton Standard which is the starting point for a USA made G&L is the same price as what a custom build was 2 years ago - but nowhere near the quality.

I'll probably never buy another guitar but if I do I'll find a good luthier to build me one - totally over the mass produced shit going around today at Custom prices.

Amps are even more dire. The shit Fender are selling is woeful. Again, find a builder and get it done right - probably for less money as well.

sammydog
10-05-2019, 01:44 PM
hahahaha..
The sad bit is that there is some scrote out there that will buy the bloody thing..

There was a terrible knock off of a Gibson Custom Shop Tony Iommi SG recently. They wanted $800 for it. I dont even think it was uptown the quality standard of a good Chibson knock off.

Everything on it was wrong, but it looks like it sold.

Anyone noticed guitar manufacturers squeezing their margins with cost cutting on materials and quality ?

Gibson have made it an art form to sell shit guitars to mongs for ridiculous prices.

Current rrp price for a Les Paul 59 reissue is $12,000 - that's just insane. Yet idiots are buying them [usually non players as well].

The latest Gibson con is they have a LP called the 50's Standard which is around $5k but has sfa to do with the originals [different pickups, bridge, electronics, tuners, and design has a short tenon join not a long one like an original... and so on].

I like Gibson's - if you find a good one they are magnificent - but it's not a cult I want to be a member of and as such I got rid of mine a while back.

Fender are not much better these days - even the Custom Shop guitars have issues - it's not until you get into the MasterBuilt custom shop ones that you get the really nice ones ?

But $25,000 for a new guitar that's unlikely to appreciate in value ? No thanks - that's insane.

G&L used to be all special / custom builds and were very affordable $1800-$2500 to your spec in a case. Now they are $4k plus so more than doubled in price. The Fullerton Standard which is the starting point for a USA made G&L is the same price as what a custom build was 2 years ago - but nowhere near the quality.

I'll probably never buy another guitar but if I do I'll find a good luthier to build me one - totally over the mass produced shit going around today at Custom prices.

Amps are even more dire. The shit Fender are selling is woeful. Again, find a builder and get it done right - probably for less money as well.

I hear you.

I actually play Gibsons for the most part, but other than my 94 Standard, will not pay retail for a new one. For the most part its highway robbery. Shop second hand and there are some bargains to be had if you are patient.

Amps are a joke, mass produced circuit boards. I'll pass.

If you want a good Marshall or fender, buy a Ceritone clone. Handwired, point to point and cheaper than the Fender/Marshall.

Ive just picked up my holy grail amp, a 1970's Baez Lead head. Made in Newcastle, modified by the builder to be switchable from Class A to Class AB and convertible from 40/30/20 Watts. Smashes the Marshall and Vox tones in one head.

The Dunster
10-05-2019, 03:10 PM
Mick Sampson ? I heard he was retiring awhile back ? I don't actually know him just conversations with other gear nuts.

I thought they were more of a Hiwatt clone than a Marshall.

One on Gumtree at Mayfield for sale now - for lunch money type price.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mayfield-west/guitars-amps/baez-guitar-amp/1217351791

sammydog
10-05-2019, 05:59 PM
Mick Sampson ? I heard he was retiring awhile back ? I don't actually know him just conversations with other gear nuts.

I thought they were more of a Hiwatt clone than a Marshall.

One on Gumtree at Mayfield for sale now - for lunch money type price.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mayfield-west/guitars-amps/baez-guitar-amp/1217351791

I'm not sure what they are modelled after, Mick did say once but I honestly can't remember. They look very Hiwatt from the outside, but I don't think the circuit is.

Ive got a Bass Head and the Lead Head, both awesome amps for guitar, but they are super heavy to move around.

As far as I know Mick has retired, he worked on my Marshall and Baez Bass amp a few years back and was winding up then. I'm really not sure who to use for amp stuff now, but he was an absolute guru. He had a heap of new models half built in the shed, they never got finished which is a shame. The one I heard was an incredible amp.

I looked at the one for sale in mayfield, but I just bought my Lead Amp two weeks ago for less. Mine has the option of Class A and Class AB and has internal switching to change the bias from EL34 to 6550. That said, If I had spare cash sitting around I would grab another one.

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/b40d/2qq316oat688bxf4g.jpg
https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/2bd4/p5ofbjc7l22qv2m4g.jpg

The Dunster
10-05-2019, 06:21 PM
^^^^ Nice amp.

Darryl Hoy [Scion] is still building amps - they go by the name of Valvetone now. All hand made with point to point wiring. He makes a 2w head that's under $400 which is all tube.

The Dunster
17-05-2019, 02:02 PM
hahahaha..

Just looked on Gumtree - it's been sold. Fck me days

The Dunster
17-05-2019, 02:05 PM
Oh ffs when will it all end ?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cessnock/guitars-amps/rare-and-nos-guitar-amp-valves/1215195959

Not rare, not high quality - stop talking shit.

It's like all this matched tubes / valves shit. Back in the day you asked for valves / tubes and you took what you were given.

The less said about the Russian / Chinese brands putting names like Genelex on their tubes the better - Genelex went bust around 50 years ago ffs.
If you buy MArconi or Osram tubes they are exactly the same thing - same factory - Genelex were just the stamp used for marketing them in the USA.

sammydog
17-05-2019, 02:37 PM
Oh ffs when will it all end ?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cessnock/guitars-amps/rare-and-nos-guitar-amp-valves/1215195959

Not rare, not high quality - stop talking shit.

It's like all this matched tubes / valves shit. Back in the day you asked for valves / tubes and you took what you were given.

The less said about the Russian / Chinese brands putting names like Genelex on their tubes the better - Genelex went bust around 50 years ago ffs.
If you buy MArconi or Osram tubes they are exactly the same thing - same factory - Genelex were just the stamp used for marketing them in the USA.

I don't bother cork shifting with tubes, JJ have always worked well for me, so thats where I go.

The Dunster
15-06-2019, 05:50 PM
Just when you thought it was safe to look at guitars on Gumtree.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bateau-bay/guitars-amps/guitar-collecter/1163052154

Wtf does this arseclown mean by original guitar ? It's a mini pink chinese strat copy. The boss plays a vintage telecaster ffs.

The part at the end of the ad is priceless. He's willing to swap for a Les Paul - but only a USA made one.

Good to know - I'll dust of my R9 and give him a call. Not likely.

sammydog
15-06-2019, 08:14 PM
Just when you thought it was safe to look at guitars on Gumtree.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bateau-bay/guitars-amps/guitar-collecter/1163052154

Wtf does this arseclown mean by original guitar ? It's a mini pink chinese strat copy. The boss plays a vintage telecaster ffs.

The part at the end of the ad is priceless. He's willing to swap for a Les Paul - but only a USA made one.

Good to know - I'll dust of my R9 and give him a call. Not likely.

I'm so buying that.

Bon
17-06-2019, 08:05 AM
As we have said before.. The sad thing is that some chump will buy/swap for it..
The whole thing just looks.... awful..

Couscous
17-06-2019, 08:12 AM
Listened to Stairway yesterday for the first time in, I reckon, 15 years or so.

Surprising number of flutes. How many do you hear?

sammydog
17-06-2019, 09:09 AM
Listened to Stairway yesterday for the first time in, I reckon, 15 years or so.

Surprising number of flutes. How many do you hear?

None, John Paul Jones supposedly played 4 recorder tracks on the song with Bass recorder, Alto recorder, a soprano, and a treble.

Live its a mellotron.

Bon
17-06-2019, 09:16 AM
None, John Paul Jones supposedly played 4 recorder tracks on the song with Bass recorder, Alto recorder, a soprano, and a treble.

Live its a mellotron.

Love your work, mate..
(Not even being sarcastic.)

The Dunster
17-06-2019, 09:49 AM
My only interest in stairway is the aeolian mode solo. Simple box pattern and all but it sounds huge. And to think it's a telecaster with a single coil and a lipstick in the neck still blows my mind.

The Dunster
18-07-2019, 01:09 PM
I'm thinking about getting a Mesa Boogie Mark V. Anyone have any experience with them ? Only thing holding me back is they look very complicated under the hood and might be an absolute nightmare to maintain / repair.

traffic light
19-07-2019, 09:30 PM
I'm thinking about getting a Mesa Boogie Mark V. Anyone have any experience with them ? Only thing holding me back is they look very complicated under the hood and might be an absolute nightmare to maintain / repair.

:lulzturtle::lulzturtle:

The Dunster
20-07-2019, 12:41 PM
:lulzturtle::lulzturtle:

I take it you have a Mark 5 or had one?

So the talk about being difficult to work on is correct?

sammydog
20-07-2019, 07:11 PM
I take it you have a Mark 5 or had one?

So the talk about being difficult to work on is correct?

In the early 90’s my teacher had a mkIII (or was it 4). I’ve seen a few. Ands with those and they sound great.

As for working on them, it’s probably like new Marshall’s (and most amps), printed circuit boards with small tracks. Possible to work on, but a pain in the bum.

Ive spoken to a few techs who don’t like working on Marshall’s post JCM900. Circuit boards to me don’t necessarily sound worse, they are just done for mass production and unlike point to point, not always repairable.

I’d rather by a hand wired clone by ceriatone, although I don’t think they do a Mesa clone.

Jetmaster
23-07-2019, 07:58 AM
Took me nearly 40 years but finally I managed to get a near mint condition copy of the 1977 triple vinyl Consequences by Kevin Godley and Lol Creme - gave it the going over last night. Would be hard work on the casual listener but phenomenal inventiveness (eg - putting mics either side of a dummy head and burying it with sand so it sounds like being buried alive). And Peter Cook doing the voices just makes it something different. It is such a complex work that it has its own podcast!

Of course - this was meant to be the launchpad for their invention, the Gizmo. There are some amazing sounds from the device on the first disc in particular. The album didn't sell and the first Gizmo company went bust. It was used by Page and McCartney but the next wave of synths put paid to its longevity.

Only found out recently that it has been redesigned and relaunched....https://www.gizmotron.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ka89zhyzSU

Still a pain in the arse to mount but would be fun playing around.

The Dunster
23-07-2019, 03:29 PM
Consequences was an album that needed to be made at least 5 years earlier - by 1977 that sort of thing had absolutely no chance competing with the end of disco, or the full force of the Punk movement.

I can understand how difficult it would be to obtain - as I can't recall seeing a copy for probably 40 years.

Jetmaster
24-07-2019, 07:35 PM
Funny you should say that as Peter Cook knocked back Great Rock n Roll Swindle to work on this album.

sammydog
25-07-2019, 12:43 AM
I think I’d just grab an ebow rather than throw all that on a guitar.

Jetmaster
25-07-2019, 03:23 PM
I think I’d just grab an ebow rather than throw all that on a guitar.

I read a review that said you should have a dedicated Gizmo guitar!

An eBow just does one string at a time apparently - this can do the lot and physically bows the strings. Very 1970's but some of the sounds it created back then were amazing. Of its time.

Skirt Boy
29-07-2019, 04:04 PM
Unless it's a BC Rich with Floyd Rose and EMG's it's probably shit.

The Dunster
30-07-2019, 08:49 PM
Here we go again:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/elermore-vale/guitars-amps/gretsch-electromatic-duo-guitar-old-/1224737966

It's Chinese, it's not old, it's not rare, and it wouldn't be worth a quarter of what this bloke is asking for.

sammydog
30-07-2019, 11:00 PM
Here we go again:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/elermore-vale/guitars-amps/gretsch-electromatic-duo-guitar-old-/1224737966

It's Chinese, it's not old, it's not rare, and it wouldn't be worth a quarter of what this bloke is asking for.

I hear you. Some crazy stuff for sale out there.

I put this in the same boat. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fingal-bay/guitars-amps/gibson-orville-57-goldtop/1223625371

If this was Orville by Gibson, I may actually be very tempted to jump on it for a little less. But a straight Orville, half that at best.

The Dunster
31-07-2019, 10:34 AM
I hear you. Some crazy stuff for sale out there.

I put this in the same boat. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fingal-bay/guitars-amps/gibson-orville-57-goldtop/1223625371

If this was Orville by Gibson, I may actually be very tempted to jump on it for a little less. But a straight Orville, half that at best.

If it's from the Terada Factory and has the long tenon join and Nitro finish the price is fair. But if it has the short tenon, Poly Finish, and Asian PAF copies and electronics it's maybe a $1000 guitar.

What worries me is that thie Orville went out of production in 1999 - this does not look like it's 20 years old.