PDA

View Full Version : Beer.

GazFish35
15-06-2016, 06:49 PM
So, stopper reckons there's a beer thread.
I couldn't find it.

So I'll start one.

Currently upset that I've just finished my last Pirate Life Pale ale, and that I might have to go buy some more. (It was a gift)

http://piratelife.com.au

A mate of a mate writes a decent blog on all things hipster craft brew
https://craftykev.wordpress.com
Worth a look if you're tired of the same old same old from the big guys.

Anyway

Pirate Life Pale Ale - my word, what nice drop.

sammydog
15-06-2016, 07:14 PM
There was definitely a beer thread on here. A hombrew one as well if I remember correctly.

Pirate Life are good. I made the football club put Pirate Life Session IPA in the fridge or the ZPL games so I don't have to drink the usual sh!t. Really good for a 3.5% beer.

My go to breweries through are Bridge Road, Brew Cult, Modus Operandi and Foghorn.

On Foghorn, I like the Jets banner that they have in the roof there.

Bon
15-06-2016, 07:31 PM
I spend a lot more time than I should at the Grain Store..
Get to try a LOT of different craft beers there.. Have had a few of the Pirate Life (I believe it was the Peg Leg?? It was like 12% and destroyed us)..

Jeterpool
15-06-2016, 07:33 PM
There was definitely a beer thread on here. A hombrew one as well if I remember correctly.

Pirate Life are good. I made the football club put Pirate Life Session IPA in the fridge or the ZPL games so I don't have to drink the usual sh!t. Really good for a 3.5% beer.

My go to breweries through are Bridge Road, Brew Cult, Modus Operandi and Foghorn.

On Foghorn, I like the Jets banner that they have in the roof there.

There was a home brew thread

sammydog
15-06-2016, 07:37 PM
I spend a lot more time than I should at the Grain Store..
Get to try a LOT of different craft beers there.. Have had a few of the Pirate Life (I believe it was the Peg Leg?? It was like 12% and destroyed us)..

Ive got a bottle of Samuel Adams Utopias at home. 750ml's of 29% evil.

boz-monaut
15-06-2016, 09:11 PM
been enjoying Murray's Rude Boy recently

looking for a nice easy drinking brown or red beer for the winter months - anyone got any suggestions for a quaffable ale?

sammydog
15-06-2016, 09:15 PM
My go to carton for camping is Mornington Pale Ale. Goes down a little too easily.

What sort of Ales do you prefer? I like mine on the hoppy side rather than the malty english ales.

boz-monaut
15-06-2016, 09:30 PM
Ideally I'd have something happy and malty but not too strongly flavoured so I can have it just as an everyday beer

I think the only solution is for me to try many different types of beer to see which one I feel like drinking more of

sammydog
15-06-2016, 09:35 PM
I think the only solution is for me to try many different types of beer to see which one I feel like drinking more of

No flaws in that plan.

If you like IPA's, Brewcults "Thanks Captain Obvious" is worth a look.

GazFish35
15-06-2016, 10:09 PM
https://www.facebook.com/events/189031078164904/

Beer festival in Sydney

skippy
16-06-2016, 08:33 AM
been enjoying Murray's Rude Boy recently

looking for a nice easy drinking brown or red beer for the winter months - anyone got any suggestions for a quaffable ale?

If you can get your hands on it Hunter Beer Co. Three Bears oatmeal Stout.

Bon
16-06-2016, 08:38 AM
If you can get your hands on it Hunter Beer Co. Three Bears oatmeal Stout.

I've had a few different stouts at the Grainy of late, due to over-consumption I'm not 100% sure on the names or localities, but there have been various different flavoured badboys on offer: jalapeno, habanero, hazelnut, gaytime (seriously, it tasted like a Gaytime ice cream.. Really nice, but you wouldn't drink it all night)..
I usually go in for a nice pale ale.. Will do some research to find out what it is exactly that I've been trying..

Superdylan
17-06-2016, 10:18 PM
Currently enjoying a Prickley Moses Otway Ale. Handcrafted beer.

Not bad.

Premy
18-06-2016, 06:17 AM
I've had a few different stouts at the Grainy of late, due to over-consumption I'm not 100% sure on the names or localities, but there have been various different flavoured badboys on offer: jalapeno, habanero, hazelnut, gaytime (seriously, it tasted like a Gaytime ice cream.. Really nice, but you wouldn't drink it all night)..
I usually go in for a nice pale ale.. Will do some research to find out what it is exactly that I've been trying..

And by research you mean go back to the Grain Store and Drink more Beer

skippy
18-06-2016, 09:16 AM

This one was sort of a coffee/toffee flavoured I was punching through them any chance I could at the firestation till they took it off tap a couple of weeks ago.

Jeterpool
18-06-2016, 02:43 PM
http://www.newcastlefootball.net/forum/showthread.php?609-The-Home-Brew-Thread&highlight=home+brew

Home Brew thread

boz-monaut
17-12-2016, 06:28 AM
a good article on beer in Australian stadiums from The Conversation of all places

http://theconversation.com/the-price-is-not-right-how-much-is-too-much-for-a-beer-at-sporting-events-69708

this is exactly the sort of academic research we should be funding

WolfMan
17-12-2016, 06:57 AM
^^^

Yep - good.

Interesting that the price per mL is higher for MLB and NFL. I wasn't doing the math at the time, but didn't feel nearly as ripped-off when buying food and drinks from these 2 codes.

Mind you, the Aussie $ was almost at parity with the US $ when I was there

StannyCFCJET
18-01-2017, 10:54 AM
Anyone else enjoy some Kriek lambic beer. Tried some once in a Belgium beer cafe down in melbourne and been hooked ever since

Alicia
18-07-2017, 07:16 PM
Has anyone tried Velvet beer? I have tried it when I was in Prague and it is the best beer ever! I can't find it anywhere else dough :(

Bon
03-08-2017, 11:13 AM
International IPA Day.. Grain Store has a tap takeover going on..
All 21 taps, and some special where you can take the glass home with you (for a certain price I assume)..

belchardo
03-08-2018, 06:04 AM
HAPPY INTERNATIONAL BEER DAY!

i've kicked off aready.

Bon
07-11-2018, 10:19 AM
Not sure that this is entirely about beer, but there isn't a "venue that you drink beer at" thread, so this will do*..

Had a few schooies at the Great Northern on Monday arvo when it had its soft opening in preparation for yesterdays Cup festivities..
A lot has changed from the old uni days of getting tanked and leering at bikini comps on the bar there.. Word is that there will be a rooftop pool bar in a year or so, and that the ballroom on the 1st floor will be reopened.

Beer Selection: A mix between your standard working man's drinks and your snooty-nosed Newtown craft breweries (I'm looking at you here, Sammydog).. Not bad, but if I'm going to pay those sort of craft prices, I'll go up to the Grainy.
Bar 'service': Friendly and talkative. For the single fellas out there (or the blokes that like to "read the menu, but eat at home"), a couple of good lookers.
Gambling: Small TAB section and the pokie room hasn't changed since it was last open. Well, the room has a bit more ventilation to let you really take in the Winnie Blue essence but a lot of the same old pokies are in there (with the addition of the standard trio of Lightning machines.)
Amenities: The toilets look like they have been taken over by Persians. Gold and blue trim everywhere.. Definitely missing the "hole kicked in the wall, DNA-on-floor and angry-faeces left on seat" character that it used to have.
Food: Didn't try any. I was there for beer. Menu looked like the standard pub stuff.

* - I'm supposed to be doing actual work at work, hence this..

plague
07-11-2018, 10:50 AM
Went to the Balter brewery at Goldy the other day.
Enjoyed it.

Bon
07-11-2018, 10:54 AM
Went to the Balter brewery at Goldy the other day.
Enjoyed it.

I don't mind a tinny of the Balter pale ale.. Don't think I've ever tried it on tap..
Decent sized brewery? Did you get plague jnr in too?