PDA

View Full Version : Grassroots Football

Sir
23-09-2016, 04:43 PM
Unsure how bumping is handled here, so I just made a new one from original from earlier this year;[ URL="http://www.newcastlefootball.net/forum/showthread.php?1028-Grassroots-Football"]HERE[/URL]

As mentioned most Grassroots coaches are volunteer parents because no one else wants to. I actually want to coach my son, in hopes to keep him interested rather than a random just throwing them the ball (or someone too competitive). Since I know nothing of junior training, I looked into some courses. Grassroots is only 3-hours, so was really considering it.

I looked up the MyFootball (http://myfootballclub.com.au/index.php?id=126) courses and saw pretty much everything available at Speers Point, except Grassroots. Any reason to that? Or the fact it isn't really needed?

I realise Grassroots is just going to be letting them kick the ball around. But since it's a 3 hour course, didn't really think it would hurt to do it, especially since it's not just my kid I'd be trying to control. Hoping to course covers what to expect and what I'm expected to do to nurture interest.

*queue angry dad yelling at his kid ad*

Goatscheese
24-09-2016, 08:31 AM
They may not have anything scheduled at the moment but I look again over the first couple months of the year. The Grassroots certificate tends to be held a month or so before the first game and they do that for people like you who are just a parent and have decided to volunteer. They tend to hold quite a few as well sometimes one every night of the week for a particular week.

In short don't fret that they haven't got one planned now because they will have quite a few planned later to be held around March.

sammydog
25-09-2016, 12:24 AM
Keep an eye on it, the Grassroots course is well worth the time. There is probably nothing on now which is why you are seeing nothing, talk to your club as they will be notified of upcoming coaching courses. We are only a small club but will pay for any parent who wants to attend a coaching course, check with your club as I know of others who do the same thing.

A lot of what you learn is hard to put in place with 6 year olds with a 3 sec attention span, but the coaching manual I got is full of drills and training sessions that I still use with my 9 year old girls team. The key is adapting everything to the kids that you have.

To be honest, with the younger ages I have found making up fun games that incorporate the key skills is the best way to keep them interested and to teach them skills without them realising that they are learning targeted skills. The grassroots course will give ideas on this sort of thing as well.

Keep an eye on the courses and enjoy the coaching.

Sir
26-09-2016, 02:10 PM
Cheers, lads.

Didn't 'click' that it maybe scheduled later. Used that page and searched for "Courses next 12 months". But makes sense to have nothing figured out until next year.

Captain_Carl
20-11-2021, 06:03 AM
Grassroots are very important to get a nice playing surface. I recommend rye.