PDA

View Full Version : RIP Rebecca Wilson

boz-monaut
07-10-2016, 07:22 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/sports-journalist-rebecca-wilson-dead-at-54-20161006-grwtt9.html

http://i.imgur.com/XUo46R8.gif

GazFish35
07-10-2016, 07:24 AM
I hope this doesn't get ugly.

54 is way too young.

The Dunster
07-10-2016, 07:29 AM
ding dong

boz-monaut
07-10-2016, 07:30 AM
she was a horrendous, awful person and should be remembered as such

cancer is an indiscriminate, uncaring foe and no one deserves it

Imyourhero
07-10-2016, 07:55 AM
Here comes all the Australian media personalities who stayed the f*** away from her the last 18 months due to her dribble onto social media to say how great she was.
There's only one thing worse than Wilson & that's cancer.

pv4
07-10-2016, 08:40 AM
Cancer is horrible and I wish it upon no one.

But let us never forget the subhuman that Wilson was. Glass houses or whatever.

lquiquer
07-10-2016, 08:53 AM
No one should go age 54......Hope RBB will have a round of applause 54th minute tomorrow

plague
07-10-2016, 10:58 AM
she made people uncomfortable with opinion based criticism of their beloved sport.
rather than deal with the issues she raised people found it easier to demonise her.

id say 95% of what she said was based on fact, and was sourced from people at the top of their sport.

remember she was mouth piece for David Gallop and others. Things that came through her were no doubt run by the boss first.
I always found the 'hate' for her so very weird. Everyone is going to point to the one article* outing the fans who were banned. But again, rather than deal with the transgressions that were alleged to have happened, or the system in place to deal with them, EVERYONE decided that it was all her fault.
You could then point to the fact that article was the tipping point to change the system and embarrass some of these idiots enough to reign in their behaviour.
but again, she's a **** for daring to mention it right?

a lot of people out there today cheering her death are the same people, who when they hear someone chant 'black lives matter' immediately counter with "YEAH, BUT WHAT ABOUT BLACK ON BLACK CRIME".

*does anyone have that article to post here? id never been able to read the whole thing, only the 'quotes' and other peoples opinions on it. As we all know, context and all. if someone could help out that would be dandy.

pv4
07-10-2016, 11:05 AM
The article got taken down - I assume because Wilson & her publisher etc were taken to court/forced to settle over the going-ons of how she got the information to produce the article. The main issue with the article was the information was leaked, by her, without FFA or police consent.

The other big issue people had was her beat-ups of events that happened in the football world that she would then completely ignore for the NRL/AFL world.

The Dunster
07-10-2016, 11:35 AM
she made people uncomfortable with opinion based criticism of their beloved sport.
rather than deal with the issues she raised people found it easier to demonise her.

id say 95% of what she said was based on fact, and was sourced from people at the top of their sport.

remember she was mouth piece for David Gallop and others. Things that came through her were no doubt run by the boss first.
I always found the 'hate' for her so very weird. Everyone is going to point to the one article* outing the fans who were banned. But again, rather than deal with the transgressions that were alleged to have happened, or the system in place to deal with them, EVERYONE decided that it was all her fault.
You could then point to the fact that article was the tipping point to change the system and embarrass some of these idiots enough to reign in their behaviour.
but again, she's a **** for daring to mention it right?

a lot of people out there today cheering her death are the same people, who when they hear someone chant 'black lives matter' immediately counter with "YEAH, BUT WHAT ABOUT BLACK ON BLACK CRIME".

*does anyone have that article to post here? id never been able to read the whole thing, only the 'quotes' and other peoples opinions on it. As we all know, context and all. if someone could help out that would be dandy.

She broke Ben Kennedy's Achilles - how can you defend her ?

plague
07-10-2016, 12:44 PM
The main issue with the article was the information was leaked, by her, without FFA or police consent. Again, thats my point. The outrage wasn't, "hey look at these people who did the wrong* thing". The outrage was "how dare you tell everyone". Besides, without people leaking classified info MFKS would never have found out BK done 9/11.

The other big issue people had was her beat-ups of events that happened in the football world that she would then completely ignore for the NRL/AFL world. I know this is a common theme with her but without an accurate register of her articles id bet many many trays of Cons finest mangos that its no where near true.
She wrote way way way more negative articles about the NRL than soccer, it wouldn't even be close. You could argue she was more critical of soccer 'fans' than the NRL, but not the sport overall. As for AFL, well she's a sydney based journo, and for most of her career her reference point were the Sydney Swans, who over the last decade have been held up as one of the most professionally run sporting clubs in the country. She was certainly into the AFL/Essendon (and Cronulla) when the ASADA drugs scandal went on, and was more critical of James Hird than probably any one else ever.

Also, if you get a chance read up on her opinions of Nic D'arcy, Kerem Bulut and Andrew Fafita. All 3 pretty much had varying degrees of off field issues and she outed and criticised all 3 (including the sporting bodies who employed them), yet the blowback was interesting from each sets of those sports' "fans".

Jetmaster
07-10-2016, 02:21 PM
My dislike of the woman goes right back to the days of "Live and Sweaty" on ABC - at the end of one panel discussion on AFL/NRL, "don't forget the NSL Grand Final this weekend".

Wilson's response - "Who cares?"

She focussed too much on the negative for mine.

plague
07-10-2016, 02:26 PM
My dislike of the woman goes right back to the days of "Live and Sweaty" on ABC - at the end of one panel discussion on AFL/NRL, "don't forget the NSL Grand Final this weekend".

Wilson's response - "Who cares?"

She focussed too much on the negative for mine.

So you're both being petty?
What's your point here, other than admitting to watching shows like 'live and sweaty' in the hope of some hard hitting analysis and hot takes?

The Dunster
07-10-2016, 02:49 PM
I'd rate her no better or worse than most journos. They are a different breed and they rarely if ever take the consequences of their actions into consideration.

GazFish35
07-10-2016, 03:09 PM
She was a tabloid Journo who did tabloid journalism very well.
The sport we love was just one focus of her tabloid journalism.
It's all moot now.

There's not many folk who deserve to go at 54, and tabloid journalists aren't among those who do.

Cancer is a ****.

plague
07-10-2016, 03:28 PM
I'd rate her no better or worse than most journos. They are a different breed and they rarely if ever take the consequences of their actions into consideration.

Yeah but it can be argued that 99% of the population works their job with minimal consideration for others.

It's just that ours aren't so public.

Jetmaster
07-10-2016, 03:45 PM
So you're both being petty?
What's your point here, other than admitting to watching shows like 'live and sweaty' in the hope of some hard hitting analysis and hot takes?

Just noting I never liked the woman - I don't see why we should suddenly change tack when someone passes on, however tragic.

Always reminds of this classic....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T17VzztS60M

plague
07-10-2016, 03:53 PM
Just noting I never liked the woman - I don't see why we should suddenly change tack when someone passes on, however tragic.

Oh hey man I've got no problem with someone not changing their stance.

That's why I hate Santo Sam and Ed so much. They are always making fun of soccer and soccer players.

I will shed no tears when they go either.

plague
07-10-2016, 06:18 PM
ok, would be interested to hear your thoughts on old Dave Leyonhjelm's tweet:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/10/07/01/392DA49800000578-3826296-image-a-5_1475799972418.jpg

Jetmaster
07-10-2016, 08:41 PM
Some of the comments I've seen on Twitbook have been far worse than they need to have been.

I mean - "the c*** is dead" is too far. But, that is how polarising she was.

The Dunster
07-10-2016, 11:50 PM
Yeah but it can be argued that 99% of the population works their job with minimal consideration for others.

It's just that ours aren't so public.

Relative ran a Fairfax paper and I can guarantee they are a different breed. I'd have more faith approaching a pit-bull totally naked with a sirloin hanging from my balls.
The majority of journos completely overestimate their talents and often run with stories / articles they don't understand. There are good ones as well but the editors soon take care of them and anything that doesn't please their overlord plutocrat owners.

plague
08-10-2016, 09:58 AM
i just hope the people continually bitching about her making public a list (remember she didnt compile the list, only released it) are also shouting to the rooftops for the likes of Assange and Snowden to also be doomed to a horrific death from some horrid disease...........but I'm thinking their sensibilities may change depending on who they are exposing.

Personally i think a lot of people out there are telling on themselves and just aren't comfortable with a strong woman smacking them in the face with some uncomfortable truths.

It would be interesting to see the reaction had a proper sockah journo on ABC or SBS made public the same list under the cover of a "hard hitting investigative piece".

Imyourhero
08-10-2016, 11:00 AM
Wouldn't it only be comparable to Snowden/Assange if the list of fans were people being protected by the governing body for committing the crimes without receiving punishment?

plague
08-10-2016, 12:53 PM
Wouldn't it only be comparable to Snowden/Assange if the list of fans were people being protected by the governing body for committing the crimes without receiving punishment?

Only if you feel the need to put levels on what's an appropriate exposure of classified information.

And it seems that line is right next to the female journo.

The Dunster
08-10-2016, 02:24 PM
Only if you feel the need to put levels on what's an appropriate exposure of classified information.

And it seems that line is right next to the female journo.

Wilson stated that SBS shifted A-league matches to their 2nd channel because it simply wasn't popular enough ? Well, Channel 9 shifted the majority of their cricket and Rugby League games to Standard def channels back then as well - but not once did she say that it was about declining popularity or indeed cost cutting.

This is only one example, and there are plenty more - Every chance she had to run down the game she did. And when she did say something nice about football you only had to wait a few more lines and she would be once again ripping the game and its fans apart.

It's the old you furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war shit started by Hearst on those years ago. Sensationalism sells copy - not unbiased factual statements.

You need only look at the reactions to posts here on most of the Foz threads - the most off the rails ridiculous ones tend to get the most attention - and we hardly even care about the more factual
posts.

Everyone here would know of MFKS but how many would actually know about Foti68 who would perhaps be one of the better posters on the forum.

We are all moths to a light when it comes to sensationalism.

plague
08-10-2016, 02:36 PM
Wilson stated that SBS shifted A-league matches to their 2nd channel because it simply wasn't popular enough ? Well, Channel 9 shifted the majority of their cricket and Rugby League games to Standard def channels back then as well - but not once did she say that it was about declining popularity or indeed cost cutting.

Sorry, but this isn't true.
Nine kept NRL and Cricket on SD for a variety of reasons, none of which were lack of popularity.

I can't find quote right now, but am positive SBS themselves admitted why they moved the HAL to the other channel.

but do you think any of the SBS management were cheered on when they died of cancer? Prob not.

plague
08-10-2016, 02:48 PM
ENTERTAINMENT
Why Don't Australia's TV Channels Broadcast In HD?

“Why are we being so poorly done by? There is a requirement that the primary channel be in standard definition in this country, and under the anti-siphoning laws you have to show a lot of these big events straight away on that primary channel — and that has an impact on what people can watch.”

That combination leads, inevitably, to a situation where every major event in Australia — particularly sports like the Olympics, Commonwealth Games, NRL and AFL grand finals, the FIFA World Cup — has to be shown primarily in SD. Some channels stand out, though — because SBS has a HD simulcast channel, you can watch some event broadcasts in HD if you so desire. But SBS is an anomaly

The argument behind the primary free-to-air TV channels being in standard definition uses the reasoning that some people might not be capable of purchasing a high definition TV, and would therefore be discriminative. The data, though, doesn’t back that up. Husic says that in nearly every state and territory capital around the country, where 89 per cent of the population lives, over 90 per cent of homes have a high definition TV. The vast majority of the population wouldn’t be adversely affected, and would actually benefit. “It’s the equivalent of putting E10 fuel in your car when 98 octane is freely available.”

It makes sense that the major free-to-air TV channels have to be inclusive of as many viewers as possible, and that means catering to the lowest common denominator.

Peak industry group Free TV Australia has actually lobbied Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull on the topic, and has been asked to make a submission on the topic by the end of March. Its members, the country’s major free-to-air TV broadcasters, want HD on their primary channels. Channels already have HD spectrum, but waste it on multi-channels because legislation just hasn’t caught up.

We’ve bemoaned the fact before that major sporting events are not shown in HD due to the frustrating combination of anti-siphoning laws and outdated legislation. Both components require some rethinking; the primary channel SD requirement is ripe for an update to reflect the number of HD TVs around, and anti-siphoning could do with a bit of a re-jig too. Take out the ability for channels to purchase broadcast rights and not show an event live (or at all), for one thing.

Ok, this is the best example (article dated 2015) as to why the situation 'was'.
The sentences highlighted in bold are the best reason to explain why it was, and why it has now changed (changing?).

The article was triggered by our favourite Muslim Ed Husic going at then telecommunications minister and total toff Malcolm Turnbull to fix it.

and to his word the situation is now getting fixed.

plague
08-10-2016, 03:01 PM
Everyone here would know of MFKS but how many would actually know about Foti68 who would perhaps be one of the better posters on the forum.

This is a very interesting point for a variety of reasons.
Yes indeed our old mate the Member gets the biggest reaction, and for the exact reasons you state. No doubt.

I also find it interesting that a lot of people (myself included) enjoy foti68's posts, even though they are sometimes full of information that the club hasn't publicly announced. It seems like foti has some very solid sources inside the club, but has no club endorsed authority to make public such info.

My argument is this:
Foti tells us things we aren't supposed to know, and we enjoy it.
Wilson tells us things we aren't supposed to know, and we threaten her life.

something just feels a little out of balance here.
Thats all I'm getting at.

The Dunster
08-10-2016, 03:22 PM
This is a very interesting point for a variety of reasons.
Yes indeed our old mate the Member gets the biggest reaction, and for the exact reasons you state. No doubt.

I also find it interesting that a lot of people (myself included) enjoy foti68's posts, even though they are sometimes full of information that the club hasn't publicly announced. It seems like foti has some very solid sources inside the club, but has no club endorsed authority to make public such info.

My argument is this:
Foti tells us things we aren't supposed to know, and we enjoy it.
Wilson tells us things we aren't supposed to know, and we threaten her life.

something just feels a little out of balance here.
Thats all I'm getting at.

Good point. However, with Wilson have you ever heard anyone from league, AFL, or Union circles say she's pro soccer / football ? I definitely have not heard or read any comments making that statement.

But you do get a mixed opinion about Wilson and League, AFL, and Union. Some say she's for it, and others say against - so who knows.

Could also be that those saying she is pro afl / union / league are the A-League fan minority.... Who knows.

But it would be brave to argue that Wilson was ever wearing blinkers when it came to Football / A-league / NSL.

Do I think she was a good journalist ? Absolutely - she got people talking and sold copy - can't fault her for that.

plague
08-10-2016, 04:47 PM
But it would be brave to argue that Wilson was ever wearing blinkers when it came to Football / A-league / NSL.

Ive heard her praise the socceroos, Ange, Gallop, the fact only soccer can generate the type of atmosphere it does, the great example Cahill is to kids.
Ive heard her bag the shitty organisation of football, the flares, the fan violence and the play acting.

Ive heard about 1000 other journos mutter the exact same things.
I've read 1000 other foz posters comment on the exact same things.

Ive yet to see any of those people cheered for getting cancer and dying.

She's never tried to pass herself off as a soccer 'fan'. the problem is that once again like star trek nerdz and apple wankers its "you're either with us, or against us".
It just seems to bring out a particularly fragile part of the soccer fans mentality that someone doesn't love the sport the way they do.

Theres a million things i disagree with her on, as with a stack of other journos and public people.
I (along with many others) also disagree with a lot of things the good Member says. That bloke bags the club and game more than Wilson ever did.
but to think anyone would wish cancer and death on the good Member is unspeakable.
thats why i have a hard time processing the sentiment around Wilson.

Im all for people disagreeing with her. by all means she's not 'right'.
but man, there are ways to behave.

The Dunster
08-10-2016, 05:05 PM
The best thing Wanderers fans could do would be a respectful minutes silence and take the higher ground - if there is any.

It could only do them and the game good. Not because Wilson was a good person or whatever, but because it would allow everyone to move on for the good of the game.

furns
08-10-2016, 05:16 PM
The best thing Wanderers fans could do would be a respectful minutes silence and take the higher ground - if there is any.

It could only do them and the game good. Not because Wilson was a good person or whatever, but because it would allow everyone to move on for the good of the game.
But then you remember that this is the RBB we are talking about, and that post I put up in the Wanderers thread will tell you everything you need to know.
They wouldn't know where the higher ground was if you gave them a map and directions.

plague
08-10-2016, 06:14 PM

Absolutely.

I've got a bad feeling they are going to do something really silly tonight.

parksey
09-10-2016, 08:36 PM

Check out this guy

I'm not sure that you understand the whole gripe with Wilson and WSW either. She had no right to publish those names and also likened Wanderers fans to terrorists in a subsequent interview. But no doubt she copped some horrendous abuse from that and other articles when she was alive. She was target because her obvious dislike of football reared its head many times.

I can't say I was a fan of her work but it's a terrible thing to happen to someone, horrible for her and those close to her.

plague
09-10-2016, 09:48 PM
Check out this guy I checked him out. He's asking some valid questions and making some good points.

I'm not sure that you understand the whole gripe with Wilson and WSW either. Exactly, hence why i asked if someone had the article so i can read it in full. The exerpts and editorial of it don't always cover context or nuance. You know that.

She had no right to publish those names and also likened Wanderers fans to terrorists in a subsequent interview. Aren't you an aspiring Journo? Don't be so cheeky to say that anything that was printed didnt get ok'd by editors and legal first. Journos don't hand stuff in and get word for word representation. You know that. If anything the editor had to take the ultimate fall for it. Anyone know if that actually happened?

She was target because her obvious dislike of football reared its head many times. Death threats and people cheering her death? If that is the consequence of disliking football then Griff help us all.

I can't say I was a fan of her work but it's a terrible thing to happen to someone, horrible for her and those close to her. and this is pretty much what I've said too. So you checked me out, and agreed with my ultimate sentiment. glad we got there. Thats why we get along so well Mr Parksey.

I'm serious though, can someone please find this article?

plague
09-10-2016, 09:54 PM
ok here is the online article.
From memory in the printed version there were names and photos? does anyone remember or can find proof?

THIS is the shame file Australian football bosses didn’t want you to see, the louts who’ve sent the sport into a *downward spiral.

The top secret document features 40 pages of photographs of 198 soccer louts banned from the 10 A-League clubs, with nearly half hailing from the Western Sydney Wanderers.

While the FFA claims cricket and rugby league contain just as many bad eggs, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal that league has only 19 banned fans and cricket fewer than that.

The football shame file features *fans who have engaged in conduct ranging from violence, assault or flare throwing to general thuggery in a three-year ***period up to October 30. More than a quarter of them have tried repeatedly, and often succeeded, to re-enter grounds even after bans have been imposed.

Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione believes crowd behaviour from some fans is spreading away from the stadiums, where police are witnessing horrendous assaults by some supporters on rival fans as they walk to the ground.

“The last thing we want to get to in Australia is putting rival fans in cages like the UK model,” Mr Scipione said.

“It should be a privilege and an *enjoyable thing to attend sport in Australia. The sport must look deep within its culture to admit there is a problem.”

The issue has become so serious that stadiums are now moving to ban the local derbies between the Wanderers and Sydney FC until the FFA can contain the turmoil.

Officials now lock down the stadium 24 hours before the local derby contests so seating areas, toilets and even plumbing can be searched. Flares have been located in toilet pipes, planted by ground staff in collusion with fans.

Police are at their wits’ end with fans, clubs and the FFA. While there have been wide-ranging crisis talks over the issue with soccer authorities, the *government and police say they are far from solving what has become the worst problem in Australian sport.

“It should be a privilege and an *enjoyable thing to attend sport in Australia. The sport must look deep within its culture to admit there is a problem.”

The head of the Major Events and Incident Squad, Assistant Commissioner Kyle Stewart, said that while the A-League is meant to represent the so-called beautiful game, fan behaviour of those on the banned list is “ugly, dangerous and extremely selfish”. Mr Stewart said controlling fans was not just a police matter.

“There is a bloody-*mindedness *within some of the clubs and the FFA that does not accept *responsibility for the culture. It is their *responsibility to mend that,” he said.

“The diatribe about us being the fun police comes from those who have an exceedingly huge level of ignorance about the role we play.’’

FFA boss David Gallop admits there is a problem but says anti-social *behaviour around games goes beyond football’s jurisdiction.

“It’s a problem from parents, school teachers to police,” he said.

“By and large, behaviour within our venues has improved but many of the problems now exist outside the venues.’’

A quick glance at the list of incidences suggests the FFA is in a state of *denial over the extent of the problem.

The conduct, described by one law *enforcement officer as “Moore Park mayhem” when Western Sydney play Sydney FC at Allianz Stadium, now *include vicious assaults on rival fans by some supporters as they walk to the stadium.

“Behave like a civilised human and not some grubby pack animal and you’ll find yourself buying many, many more season passes,” Mr Stewart said.

One of those “grubby pack animals” is a Wanderers fan who is a kindergarten teacher. He has been banned for *violence and offensive behaviour.

Mr Scipione said police have been unfairly targeted for being too heavy- handed with fans but that it’s time for the code itself to address the issues.

“I sat with Dave Gallop (when NRL boss) and the people at the Bulldogs when they had a terrible fan problem,” he said.

“We sorted the issues out but it *started within the club and at the NRL.’’

it should be noted that the APC did not uphold a complaint from one of the people named (so obviously there were names and photos in the paper version.
So "having no right to...." seems to indeed not be the case.

plague
09-10-2016, 10:03 PM
and heres another.

THE Western Sydney Wanderers have enjoyed a rapid rise to the top of Australian sport with a team that can outperform just about any other in the A-League. The side's support base boasts numbers that are so phenomenal they are the envy of all professional footy clubs.
Yes, after just two years, the Wanderers are a fairytale, the darling of the FFA and certain elements of the Sydney media.
Testament to the fact that this is a very, very valuable brand is that the FFA plans to sell the club for nearly $15 million to a private consortium.
So what is it about this that makes my skin crawl? Why do I feel extremely uncomfortable when I see the so-called RBB (Red and Black Bloc) in full voice at an A-League game, replete with a lot more than happy ditties and bonhomie?
Certain fans who boast that they are RBB members hide their faces behind masks, rip hundreds of seats out of the stands so they can stand where they choose and smuggle flares into grounds despite a security presence that far outweighs most football games in Australia.
Authorities desperately grappling with the increasing menace of a core group of fans have no answer to the trouble.

They are generally dumbfounded when it comes to sourcing the culprits, reluctant to ban anyone who dares to drag a row of nailed-down seats out of the concrete.
In England, police have adopted a zero tolerance approach, insisting everyone sits in their own numbered seats.
That way, the culprits are far more easily identified and thrown out. There has been very little hint of trouble at any EPL game for years because the fans know they will cop a life ban if they behave badly.
Last weekend in Melbourne, the RBB and Victory fans engaged in a brawl away from the ground, in the middle of the city, that was menacing, ugly and violent. The Wanderers claim the Victory mob had revenge on their minds after a similar riot in Sydney when the two teams last clashed.
Two men, from the RBB, have been charged, one with causing serious injury and another with using a missile during the affray. They have been issued with bans of five years from any A-League games, instead of being handed life.
Both clubs have been charged with bringing the game into disrepute and threatened with the loss of competition points. But authorities are still no closer to guaranteeing a majority of the crowd who come to watch the game will be safe.
Five flares, firecrackers and a surging mass of ugliness from within the RBB caused mayhem at Melbourne's AAMI Stadium last Saturday night.
It might only be a "small minority", as I'm so sick of hearing, but they manage to create a violent atmosphere and continue to ride roughshod over police and security.
This is a natural outcome for a code hell bent on protecting its reputation, on pumping up the tyres of the RBB and their "wonderful" fan group that the bad element was allowed to thrive without boundaries.
At the club's derby against Sydney FC at Allianz Stadium in October, the SCG Trust was so deeply disturbed by a string of incidents that they received briefings from the highest echelons of the NSW Police force.
Hundreds of chairs were ripped out, flares and missiles were smuggled in and let off and the innocents caught in the middle of it were shocked that this could happen in Australia.
The defence puts out the statistic dozens are evicted from a Test cricket match or a big AFL game. They are generally charged with drunken behaviour and spend the night in the lockup. This, Wanderers fans say, is akin to their own bad element. But they forget that those arrested are rarely violent, and, if they try anything on, they are kicked out rapidly.
These fans are not part of a gang culture. They do not attend post-match "celebrations" with the intent of accosting rival fans, and they do not go for a quiet drink with missiles in their pockets.
The private consortium set to purchase the Wanderers has a golden opportunity to shrug off the criminal element in their club.
It can issue life bans, make every single fan sit in a numbered seat and bolster gate checks to ensure the weapons are not smuggled into the grounds.
The RBB might be the mascot for the A-League in the minds of those who have bought the public relations hype but until very bad people are meted out of the core group, the Wanderers have no right to call themselves a role model for anyone.

Man, I'm starting to think Rebecca Wilson is (was?) Captain Obvious on the foz

plague
09-10-2016, 10:08 PM
BANNED football fans are thugs who have no place at family matches. Good riddance, I say. Most should be banned for life, not just for a few seasons.

They’re little more than suburban terrorists who spend their time disrupting games with fights, pitch invasions, flares, abusing fans from other teams and brawling outside pubs.

well then.

parksey
09-10-2016, 10:37 PM
I checked him out. He's asking some valid questions and making some good points.

Exactly, hence why i asked if someone had the article so i can read it in full. The exerpts and editorial of it don't always cover context or nuance. You know that.

Aren't you an aspiring Journo? Don't be so cheeky to say that anything that was printed didnt get ok'd by editors and legal first. Journos don't hand stuff in and get word for word representation. You know that. If anything the editor had to take the ultimate fall for it. Anyone know if that actually happened?

Death threats and people cheering her death? If that is the consequence of disliking football then Griff help us all.

and this is pretty much what I've said too. So you checked me out, and agreed with my ultimate sentiment. glad we got there. Thats why we get along so well Mr Parksey.

I'm serious though, can someone please find this article?

She wrote for the Tele, of course the editors would have ok'd it. Seriously though, on legal grounds I'm not sure where she would have stood, but considering every fan on the list was officially banned I don't think they would have had much of a leg to stand on in court.

The real question here is her moral right to disclose the information. The print edition featured the faces of many of the banned along with an inside page which listed most if not all of the names. Basically the guy who was banned after he fell of a chair was lumped in with the lads who organise punch ons in the car park. People lost their jobs because of this. It also featured under age people.

It was not in the public interest but was a juicy story, even if it did emit many key facts e.g. what each fan was banned for etc. as seen in the transcript.

plague
09-10-2016, 10:59 PM
She wrote for the Tele, of course the editors would have ok'd it. Seriously though, on legal grounds I'm not sure where she would have stood, but considering every fan on the list was officially banned I don't think they would have had much of a leg to stand on in court.

The real question here is her moral right to disclose the information. The print edition featured the faces of many of the banned along with an inside page which listed most if not all of the names. Basically the guy who was banned after he fell of a chair was lumped in with the lads who organise punch ons in the car park. People lost their jobs because of this. It also featured under age people.

It was not in the public interest but was a juicy story, even if it did emit many key facts e.g. what each fan was banned for etc. as seen in the transcript.

fair post. can't argue any of it.
agree with the big question being the 'moral' right. i guess thats always a hindsight thing though. i thought Senator Hinch naming child molesters using parliamentary privilege was a bit off but if i found out one of them was giving next door to me?

again though I'm fine with disagreeing with her. i just don't agree or understand the 'hate' and death threats.

silver lining though, without the article do the fans ever get their appeal process?
Even Severus Snape turned out to be on the right side of history.

pv4
10-10-2016, 05:42 AM
silver lining though, without the article do the fans ever get their appeal process?
Even Severus Snape turned out to be on the right side of history.

This is my favourite thing about Wilson's life, and legacy. The fact that she hated our game and a lot of the people in it so much, yet her work contributed to make it a better (more ethical) place and gave all these suburban terrorists a potential way back in :rof:

Absolutely disgraceful move by the RBB on the wkend IMO and if that didn't trigger the 3 points suspended sentence then I don't know what ever would.

plague
10-10-2016, 08:37 AM
Absolutely disgraceful move by the RBB on the wkend IMO and if that didn't trigger the 3 points suspended sentence then I don't know what ever would.

Wait, what?

What did they do?

pv4
10-10-2016, 08:58 AM
Wait, what?

What did they do?

They ripped flares at the 54th minute. Rebecca Wilson was 54 years old. It was premeditated.

WolfMan
10-10-2016, 10:40 AM
Regardless of the timing of the flares, the suspended sentence should be cut loose.

Have heard FFA are not pursuing this avenue. Bombarding their Twitter handle with queries on it, you're welcome to add your voice to the chorus

plague
10-10-2016, 10:47 AM
They ripped flares at the 54th minute. Rebecca Wilson was 54 years old. It was premeditated.

Really?
Wow didn't even see that on the telly.

Jeterpool
10-10-2016, 10:59 AM
Really?
Wow didn't even see that on the telly.

YOu could see it in the background as Holosko plays the ball to Bobo on the behind-the-goal replay

The Dunster
10-10-2016, 11:05 AM
ok here is the online article.
From memory in the printed version there were names and photos? does anyone remember or can find proof?

it should be noted that the APC did not uphold a complaint from one of the people named (so obviously there were names and photos in the paper version.
So "having no right to...." seems to indeed not be the case.

Until anything has faced a full bench review by the high court it's still pretty much open for debate - and even beyond that there is scope to challenge a decision [though not much these days].. However, not everyone has the money, time, or dare I say it ability to take a decision to these levels.

Hence, what the APC have determined on such a matter is not the final word. Then you can look at the composition of the APC board - and it's not hard to see why they would side with Wilson / publisher of the article

The APC consists of 26 members. 15 of these members are industry nominated / journalists representing the very papers / media that Wilson worked for.

The members of the Council's Adjudication Panel are the Chair of the Council, all public and independent journalist members of the Council, three of the industry nominees on the Council and the following people from community [2 people] and media backgrounds who are not current Council members [4 people]:

Then we can look at who provides the funding for the APC:

Adelphi Printing Pty Ltd (publishes Monthly Chronicle)
APN News & Media
At Large Media (publishes New Matilda)
Australian Associated Press
Australian Rural Publishers Association
Bauer Media Group (publishes titles such as Australian Women’s Weekly, People, Australian Geographic)
Community Newspapers Australia
Country Press Australia
Daily Mail Australia
Echo Publications Pty Ltd (publishes The Byron Shire Echo and Echonetdaily)
emanila.com Pty Ltd (publishes The Filipino Australian)
Fairfax Media (publishes titles such as The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, Australian Financial Review)
Focal Attractions (publishes mUmBRELLA.com.au)
HuffPost Australia
Independent Australia Pty Ltd (publishes Independent Australia)
Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance
News Corp Australia (publishes titles such as The Australian, The Daily Telegraph, The Herald Sun, Courier Mail,Adelaide Advertiser, Hobart Mercury)
New Daily
nine.com.au
Private Media (publishes titles such as Crikey, The Mandarin, Smart Company, Startup Smart)
Property Review Australia
Schwartz Media
The Bushland Shire Telegraph Pty Ltd (publishes Bush Telegraph Weekly)
Urban Cinefile
WorkDay Media (publishes Banking Day)

As we know from past history - self regulation is no regulation at all. Look at financial ratings agencies such as Standards and Poors or Moodies and how their assessment and monitoring of derivative values was around the sub prime mortgage crises ?

The only rational behaviour to keep their businesses intact was for the rating agencies to always favour the people that kept them financially viable.

I'm not saying the extent or magnitude to which the APC exists is the same but I would not feel satisfied with this group making a decision about an article based on me - especially given that their structure suggests they are more of a safety net for the industry than they are for the people appearing in the articles.

The Dunster
10-10-2016, 11:25 AM
The actions of the RBB on the weekend have confirmed everything Rebecca Wilson said about them.

Their behaviour is an absolute disgrace, makes our game look bad, and makes all fans look bad.

The FFA need to go hard on these people, as does the football media, and all fans as well. Regardless.

Just like Wilson suggested, the inherent problems with the NSL are within the RBB and need to be addressed.

I still don't think much of Rebecca Wilson's methods but considering how piss weak the ruling body [FFA] has been to such matters perhaps what she did was the only way to actually get the debate to where it needs to be - to actually save the game.

The RBB bring in the short term dollars and that's what is gaining them special treatment. But in the long run they will effectively destroy the game if they stay on their current trajectory. I know this because I watch the NSL from start to finish slowly kill itself.

stopper2
10-10-2016, 11:42 AM
The actions of the RBB on the weekend have confirmed everything Rebecca Wilson said about them.

Their behaviour is an absolute disgrace, makes our game look bad, and makes all fans look bad.

The FFA need to go hard on these people, as does the football media, and all fans as well. Regardless.

Just like Wilson suggested, the inherent problems with the NSL are within the RBB and need to be addressed.

I still don't think much of Rebecca Wilson's methods but considering how piss weak the ruling body [FFA] has been to such matters perhaps what she did was the only way to actually get the debate to where it needs to be - to actually save the game.

The RBB bring in the short term dollars and that's what is gaining them special treatment. But in the long run they will effectively destroy the game if they stay on their current trajectory. I know this because I watch the NSL from start to finish slowly kill itself.

Although I think FFA have really stuffed up in not penalising the Wanderers whether it was a fine or docked points for this latest discretion, I think you are over-exaggerating the whole thing. Same as the comparison with the "inherent problems" with the NSL and linking them with the RBB....what are you actually trying to allude to here?
Everyone who remembers the old NSL knows there were ethnic-based rivalries which got out of control from time to time leading to incidences but it is nowhere near the volume as the anti-football MSM element would have us believe.
I think in your comments you are basically taking one very narrow angled view of events and running with it. To compare the actions of the RBB with the death of the NSL is totally baseless and mis-informed to say the least.

The Dunster
10-10-2016, 11:44 AM
Not a single mention of the RBB's actions at the game from foxsports report on the game just references to the size of the crowd, commnets from Tim Cahill about how good a start it was for the leage [in reference to the 61680 crowd] and all the usual shit.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/wanderers-and-sydney-players-clash-as-tempers-flare-in-heated-recordbreaking-sydney-derby/news-story/be98e52e5e4083089d4402772556d9d3

I hate to say it but short term money has ruled out any long term strategy for the game.

Rebecca Wilson appears now to have been the lone voice of reason - can't believe I'm saying it.

The Dunster
10-10-2016, 11:52 AM
Although I think FFA have really stuffed up in not penalising the Wanderers whether it was a fine or docked points for this latest discretion, I think you are over-exaggerating the whole thing. Same as the comparison with the "inherent problems" with the NSL and linking them with the RBB....what are you actually trying to allude to here?
Everyone who remembers the old NSL knows there were ethnic-based rivalries which got out of control from time to time leading to incidences but it is nowhere near the volume as the anti-football MSM element would have us believe.
I think in your comments you are basically taking one very narrow angled view of events and running with it. To compare the actions of the RBB with the death of the NSL is totally baseless and mis-informed to say the least.

The NSL like the A-league failed to self regulate the bad elements of the game because they didn't want to sacrifice the short term dollar.

The ethnic divisions in the NSL killed it because they flowed on through ticket sales, media coverage, sponsorship, and people simply not wanting to attend games because the quality of the product from pitch quality, to players, to facilities... and so on was not good enough... It was a disaster on too many levels.

I was there in 1977 when the club I played for were ridiculously allowed into the competition, I was there when they were relegated at the end of the season.... and I'd pretty much had enough of what the NSL had become by the mid 1980's. [ Imagine Valentine fielding a team in the A-league - and you wouldn't be far off].

Too much attention to the short term dollar and not enough focus on the long term.

Sure its good to focus on the positives but the ruling body and pro football media do nothing to address the problems.

plague
10-10-2016, 12:03 PM
I don't think anyone is saying ethnic violence killed the NSL.
I think the point is that narrow minded clubs who act entirely out of self interest and a piss weak governing body is what killed it.

Well guess what it looks like at the moment.

When a club (and its 'fans') can't understand the term "don't bring flares to games" exactly what hope do you give them to succeed with multi million dollar sponsorships and TV contracts?

I wouldn't let any of those retards sell me a tray of mango's.

The Dunster
10-10-2016, 12:07 PM
I don't think anyone is saying ethnic violence killed the NSL.
I think the point is that narrow minded clubs who act entirely out of self interest and a piss weak governing body is what killed it.

Well guess what it looks like at the moment.

When a club (and its 'fans') can't understand the term "don't bring flares to games" exactly what hope do you give them to succeed with multi million dollar sponsorships and TV contracts?

I wouldn't let any of those retards sell me a tray of mango's.

100% agree with you.

stopper2
10-10-2016, 12:28 PM
The NSL like the A-league failed to self regulate the bad elements of the game because they didn't want to sacrifice the short term dollar.

The ethnic divisions in the NSL killed it because they flowed on through ticket sales, media coverage, sponsorship, and people simply not wanting to attend games because the quality of the product from pitch quality, to players, to facilities... and so on was not good enough... It was a disaster on too many levels.

I was there in 1977 when the club I played for were ridiculously allowed into the competition, I was there when they were relegated at the end of the season.... and I'd pretty much had enough of what the NSL had become by the mid 1980's. [ Imagine Valentine fielding a team in the A-league - and you wouldn't be far off].

Too much attention to the short term dollar and not enough focus on the long term.

Sure its good to focus on the positives but the ruling body and pro football media do nothing to address the problems.

Agree with some of your points mate but to say "Imagine Valentine fielding a team in the A-league - and you wouldn't be far off" is totally off the mark.
You are bagging out the quality of the old NSL but funnily enough the Socceroos so-called Golden were mostly developed and were products of clubs from that era ie Viduka, Emerton, Schwarzer, Bosnich, Okon, Zelic, Grella, Bresciano etc.
Daresay some of the teams from the relatively strong period of the early to mid-90's like South Melbourne, Melbourne Knights, Marconi and Adelaide City would probably beat the weaker teams in the A-League and give the better teams a run for their money. But you had as you say "pretty much had enough of what the NSL had become by the mid 1980's" so you wouldn't have been aware of that strong period.

plague
10-10-2016, 12:30 PM
A good parallel re:FFA.

Yesterday in the V8's the most high profile driver broke the rules.
That driver belonged to the most powerful team in the sport who bring in the most sponsorship money by far.

His rule breach was highly debateable, yet without hesitation the rule makers penalised him and it cost the driver (and the team) victory in the biggest race in the sport.

The team will appeal, and they will lose, and that sport will keep going from strength to strength.

Meanwhile the FFA, with a layup to start sorting some shit out, wags it's finger and says "this is your last chance, I'm super serious this time".

Pissweak.

The Dunster
10-10-2016, 12:49 PM
Agree with some of your points mate but to say "Imagine Valentine fielding a team in the A-league - and you wouldn't be far off" is totally off the mark..

Sorry, my paragraph was ambiguous. I meant that Mooroolbark United being allowed into the NSL in 1977 would be like Valentine being allowed to play in the A-league today. meaning that the NSL from the very start made stupid decisions with no long term focus.

I agree the best players of the NSL era are equal to or better than the best we have today. But the average player today is well and truly better than the average player in the NSL.

Only a select few NSL players earned enough money to support a family - that's not the case anymore even though the cost of living is higher today in many respects.

The Dunster
10-10-2016, 12:53 PM
A good parallel re:FFA.

Yesterday in the V8's the most high profile driver broke the rules.
That driver belonged to the most powerful team in the sport who bring in the most sponsorship money by far.

His rule breach was highly debateable, yet without hesitation the rule makers penalised him and it cost the driver (and the team) victory in the biggest race in the sport.

The team will appeal, and they will lose, and that sport will keep going from strength to strength.

Meanwhile the FFA, with a layup to start sorting some shit out, wags it's finger and says "this is your last chance, I'm super serious this time".

Pissweak.

Excellent example. I remember the abortion that was Group C and Group A touring cars. It was dangerous, lacklustre, and going broke very quickly. Tough decisions were made, the long term existence of the sport became paramount - and no individual was bigger than the V8 Super Car brand. FFA need to do the same with A-league.

stopper2
10-10-2016, 01:30 PM
^^^
Agree gents, the FFA's stance with something that was a pretty clear-cut issue ie rip flares and you get penalised, has now become a "grey area" with clubs and spectators alike now entitled to ask "Please explain, what constitutes a fine/penalty and what doesn't?"