PDA

View Full Version : Which kick-off time do you prefer?

stopper2
11-10-2016, 12:00 PM
I think a similar poll was done a few years back but I couldn't find it in the history so I thought I'd put up a new one anyway.
Yes there are other threads debating this issue and we know the supposed reasons why we are heaped with mainly afternoon games but has your opinion changed on afternoon vs evening fixtures?
Do you prefer the Saturday or Sunday 5pm or 5.35pm kick offs or do you prefer the evening kick offs on a Friday or Saturday night at 7.30pm or 7.50pm?

Jetmaster
11-10-2016, 12:22 PM
I remember the day (NSL) when all our games were played on a Friday night - always a great way to setup for the weekend. The kids enjoyed having a late night out with a takeaway dinner, I could play cricket on a Saturday and any social events would usually be on a Saturday evening.

Sunday at 5pm is the most ridiculous time of the lot - too early for dinner, too late to cook when you get home after 8pm. Kids have school next day etc etc.

The Dunster
11-10-2016, 12:40 PM
I remember the day (NSL) when all our games were played on a Friday night - always a great way to setup for the weekend. The kids enjoyed having a late night out with a takeaway dinner, I could play cricket on a Saturday and any social events would usually be on a Saturday evening.

Sunday at 5pm is the most ridiculous time of the lot - too early for dinner, too late to cook when you get home after 8pm. Kids have school next day etc etc.

100% on the money.

I would say a 7:30pm start on a Friday would be close enough to optimal.

stopper2
11-10-2016, 01:08 PM
The atmosphere at night too is so much better, whether it is a Friday or Saturday night...probably more so on a Friday. There just seems to be a natural buzz in the crowd, it's the start of the weekend and people are naturally on a high.
By Sunday afternoon, the weekend is nearly over and most people already have at the back of their minds....work tomorrow and this is conveyed in the usually solemn atmosphere.

GazFish35
11-10-2016, 01:33 PM
we know the supposed reasons why we are heaped with mainly afternoon games

What do you mean "supposed"

Is there another reason other than foxtel not wanting us in 7/730/750 because we doing rate well on TV?

pv4
11-10-2016, 01:36 PM
Sunday arvo is the absolute worst and I find it a legitimate disgrace even considering how gash our team is that 6 of our home games are on then. Every single person in the club who contributed to this should leave our town immediately.

Next worse is Saturday arvo. Any arvo games are just dull and hot, and our stadium isn't suited to blocking out the sun.

Saturday nights is the best. Fridays the next best.

tl;dr - arvo games can go suck a big fat juicy one, and so can whoever is responsible for us having so many.

The Camel
11-10-2016, 01:41 PM
Sunday arvo is the absolute worst and I find it a legitimate disgrace even considering how gash our team is that 6 of our home games are on then. Every single person in the club who contributed to this should leave our town immediately.

Next worse is Saturday arvo. Any arvo games are just dull and hot, and our stadium isn't suited to blocking out the sun.

Saturday nights is the best. Fridays the next best.

tl;dr - arvo games can go suck a big fat juicy one, and so can whoever is responsible for us having so many.

As if anyone at the club has a say on that. Once upon a time Middleby said some rubbish, but Foxtel tell the FFA when they want the Sydney and Melb teams on and fit the rest in around

Ginger71
11-10-2016, 01:43 PM
Not living in Newy i prefer Saturday night games.

pv4
11-10-2016, 02:02 PM
As if anyone at the club has a say on that. Once upon a time Middleby said some rubbish, but Foxtel tell the FFA when they want the Sydney and Melb teams on and fit the rest in around

As far as I'm led to believe, each team gets one "pretty please" for fixtures each year.

I can only assume David Eland wasted ours on sending Tim Cahill to Coffs Harbour.

If we don't use ours next season on "less Sunday/arvo games" then I have just lost faith.

Superdylan
11-10-2016, 02:07 PM
I prefer a mixture between the 2. I work pretty much every friday evening so I'm happy without too many friday night games. Not everyone is a monday - friday daytime worker.

However on Sunday it was not a boiing hot afternoon and by the end of the game it got abit chilly.

At least 5pm games mean less time to kill through the day. At least with saturday afternoon pubs or bars afterwards are plentiful where as a sunday night everywhere is practically dead in newcastle.

Jetmaster
11-10-2016, 02:14 PM
We all know Fox holds the aces - they rave about nothing but the big four with a little nod to Adelaide and Brisbane. I did some analysis last season and found that Perth, the Gypos and us had the majority of afternoon kickoffs with Victory and Adelaide having the least - there was a near direct correlation between the number of afternoon kickoffs and the final table which I found bizarre.......it's a bit chicken or the egg though.

As yet, nobody in the media (especially in the big cities) has highlighted how skewed things are in favour of the big clubs. We can only hope that someday we can get back in the finals with entertaining football and possibly change the status quo.

Macca
11-10-2016, 02:54 PM
I think I saw mention of something similar in the NH in the last week, that struggling clubs such as ourselves and CCM, while smaller inherently, are also punished by getting worse scheduling, impacting on both audiences and quality of football able to be produced. While its not an excuse as such, it certainly doesn't help.

I dunno that a big stink was kicked up about it but yeah, it hasn't gone completely unnoted in the media.

The Dunster
11-10-2016, 03:33 PM
where as a sunday night everywhere is practically dead in newcastle.

Go MILF hunting at the Beaches SD. They bite well on anything between 18 and 25.

Jeterpool
11-10-2016, 04:08 PM
Go MILF hunting at the Beaches SD. They bite well on anything between 18 and 25.

Only if they've got a swimming pool

stopper2
11-10-2016, 05:15 PM
What do you mean "supposed"

Is there another reason other than foxtel not wanting us in 7/730/750 because we doing rate well on TV?

The reasons have been discussed in a few other threads and I feel we would only be treading over the same old ground by discussing them on this thread Gaz.
Just wanted to gauge people's preferences by having another poll as It's been obvious in the past that supporters have always prefered evening games and by the looks of this poll it would seem that sentiment has not changed.

Having said that, I will add that from the club's viewpoint it has been made clear that we need to improve our performances on the pitch and become a more "attractive" team so we can get more primetime (evening) games....okay if that's the case I want to put this to the powers that be:
SFC last season 2015/16 had a very average season coming 7th playing boring, uninspiring football with crowds dropping below 10k, ten of their home matches were in the evening prime time slot.
By rights then, shouldn't SFC have less evening home games this season if all is fair and above board?
No SFC get another another 10 home evening games allocated for this season 2016/17!!!

RAM
11-10-2016, 05:17 PM
I prefer Mondays at 9pm.

GazFish35
11-10-2016, 05:42 PM
The reasons have been discussed in a few other threads and I feel we would only be treading over the same old ground by discussing them on this thread Gaz.
Just wanted to gauge people's preferences by having another poll as It's been obvious in the past that supporters have always prefered evening games and by the looks of this poll it would seem that sentiment has not changed.

Having said that, I will add that from the club's viewpoint it has been made clear that we need to improve our performances on the pitch and become a more "attractive" team so we can get more primetime (evening) games....okay if that's the case I want to put this to the powers that be:
SFC last season 2015/16 had a very average season coming 7th playing boring, uninspiring football with crowds dropping below 10k, ten of their home matches were in the evening prime time slot.
By rights then, shouldn't SFC have less evening home games this season if all is fair and above board?
No SFC get another another 10 home evening games allocated for this season 2016/17!!!

soz - ti thought by "supposed" you were implying there were other reasons beyond tv audiences

Sydney FC get good timeslots because

1. its not all fair and above board
2. at the start of each season when the fixture list is set (by foxtel) they are expected to get better ratings than us no matter how they play as they've got a bigger city tuning in.
3. they might have been bad - nut they aren't as bad as us - we've been shit for ages, and its gonna stake a few years of stink free football before our timeslots change dramatically

5pm isn't even "family friendly" - its ****ed btw

goaliepersempre
11-10-2016, 06:43 PM
Just some info... The football association here has listened to fans.. and we now only have 2 kickoff times in the super league... with the teleclub (fox similar) still showing all games on there channels but also a conference setup too new. Kickoffs are 2 games on 7pm saturday night and 3 games with one on free to tv at 4pm sunday... (it works here)

Challenge league still has a monday game grrr... but will now be shown on what is know as free tv here . you still play a shit load.... as well as the the teleclub channel.

This is bringing things back to how it used to be.. tradition.. going away from media determining games.. but also there has been here in increase in money clubs get.. and a much more equal distribution...

Also with games on same time its interesting when an update comes from other games... espcially if a rival club is losing etc.

Ofcourse sunday at 5pm is horrible in Aus and the culture is different... between a sunday in australia and one in mainland europe. also the weather...

But I always loved the Friday or Sat night games in Aus (also old nsl days).. perfect plan for an evening. also its much more family friendly than 5pm on a sunday or saturday.

Damo Lovelock
11-10-2016, 09:31 PM
Friday nights are the best time by far IMO.

Sunday arvos the absolute shittest.

boz-monaut
11-10-2016, 09:43 PM
I just can't make 5 p.m. Sunday games

so I get five games I can make it to this season for my season ticket

hawk
11-10-2016, 10:53 PM
Sundays can get stuffed. fri & sat nite x10000. 5pm probs better for kids.

Jetmaster
11-10-2016, 11:19 PM
Those who remember the move to summer football in the 80s will recall the hoohaa about playing in summer heat.

This was dismissed with Soccer Australia saying all games were to be played under lights in the interest of player safety.

stopper2
14-10-2016, 05:00 PM
When a vote is over 80% in favour that's pretty unanimous in anyone's book.
Take note Lawrie, if you ever come on here!

boz-monaut
14-10-2016, 09:04 PM
When a vote is over 80% in favour that's pretty unanimous in anyone's book.
unless that book is a dictionary

furns
14-10-2016, 09:38 PM
unless that book is a dictionary
:lulz:

Premy
14-10-2016, 11:00 PM
In all honesty CCM, SFC and WSW should all be on a Saturday.
Do whatever the F you want with the remaining 6 clubs, hell play them on Tuesdays nights I don't care.

lquiquer
15-10-2016, 11:28 AM
I love Saturday and Sunday 5pm games..... get home after 7 just on time for next game or Dazza on shootout, and normal time dinner 8/8.30...... I live in a perfect world..... I need Jets to never make the 6

Jetmaster
17-10-2016, 11:09 AM
OK - now I have a real gripe about arvo kickoffs (I know Fox controls it and why) and have done some statto work on this season. The main issues I have with afternoon kickoffs are the following:

* Weather - first and foremost. When summer soccer was first implemented the intention was to have ALL kickoffs after 6pm for reasons of player safety and comfort of spectators.
* Playing style - no doubt the games in the sun are slower and less exciting. Think of any A-League classic over the years and the majority (not all of course) are night matches.
* Attendance - It's summer and families have choice, the beach and summer sports (cricket particularly) are obvious alternatives. Have heard some members pull out on gameday because of heat in the stands to "watch it at home".
* Atmosphere - There is no doubt night games have a different vibe about them. Our stadium is just one that seems louder in an evening. As the games are often quicker and more exciting this lends to greater involvement from the fans.
* Equity between clubs - If all the above apply does it not mean that clubs with more evening games have an advantage? Better football, bigger crowds, better atmosphere, more passion, more revenue, enhanced reputation over time.

Here is the table I have compiled of what has been allocated this season (rated from highest percentage of night games down):

The interesting points:

* All Sydney derbies, all Melbourne derbies, all Big Blues, all ADL/MV games, all SFC/MC games and all MV/WSW are night fixtures
* All F3 derbies are afternoon fixtures
* Of the small night allocations for Jets and CCM, Jets have one sent to Coffs, CCM get their pet NYE game - look at the home percentages to see we really have copped it!
* MV, MC and SFC have runs of night games going for nearly 3 months each
* The volatile MV/WSW games are at night, even though this is thought to be an increased security risk for crowd trouble around the world - hence EPL lunchtime kickoffs
* Perth and Wello have benefitted from the loss of EPL for Fox with Perth having a big increase in night games at home - ALL Wellington home games are at night to suit the 5pm AEDT slot
* Downside for Wellington is the majority of their travels are afternoon fixtures - a distinct disadvantage playing in Aussie heat when their home games are all on chilly NZ evenings. One of their Perth games is at 11pm NZ time and they have Boxing Day in Newcastle!

Now I know some will say we are not an attractive proposition but it looks like a vicious circle. At the very least, the F3 derby should be given night status, a bit of build up and some of the Fox promos they love to make for the other derbies. That gives us something to work on. At this stage there is little proactive support from Fox Sports to build its product outside of Sydney and Melbourne.

Anyway I just found this analysis interesting!

WolfMan
17-10-2016, 01:04 PM
Well said. 10/10 would read again

Hunter403
17-10-2016, 02:29 PM
Send it to Zelic!!

Jetmaster
17-10-2016, 07:03 PM
Thinking of sending it to Hilly for the Fox podcast.

The Dunster
17-10-2016, 07:28 PM
OK - now I have a real gripe about arvo kickoffs (I know Fox controls it and why) and have done some statto work on this season. The main issues I have with afternoon kickoffs are the following:

* Weather - first and foremost. When summer soccer was first implemented the intention was to have ALL kickoffs after 6pm for reasons of player safety and comfort of spectators.
* Playing style - no doubt the games in the sun are slower and less exciting. Think of any A-League classic over the years and the majority (not all of course) are night matches.
* Attendance - It's summer and families have choice, the beach and summer sports (cricket particularly) are obvious alternatives. Have heard some members pull out on gameday because of heat in the stands to "watch it at home".
* Atmosphere - There is no doubt night games have a different vibe about them. Our stadium is just one that seems louder in an evening. As the games are often quicker and more exciting this lends to greater involvement from the fans.
* Equity between clubs - If all the above apply does it not mean that clubs with more evening games have an advantage? Better football, bigger crowds, better atmosphere, more passion, more revenue, enhanced reputation over time.

Here is the table I have compiled of what has been allocated this season (rated from highest percentage of night games down):

The interesting points:

* All Sydney derbies, all Melbourne derbies, all Big Blues, all ADL/MV games, all SFC/MC games and all MV/WSW are night fixtures
* All F3 derbies are afternoon fixtures
* Of the small night allocations for Jets and CCM, Jets have one sent to Coffs, CCM get their pet NYE game - look at the home percentages to see we really have copped it!
* MV, MC and SFC have runs of night games going for nearly 3 months each
* The volatile MV/WSW games are at night, even though this is thought to be an increased security risk for crowd trouble around the world - hence EPL lunchtime kickoffs
* Perth and Wello have benefitted from the loss of EPL for Fox with Perth having a big increase in night games at home - ALL Wellington home games are at night to suit the 5pm AEDT slot
* Downside for Wellington is the majority of their travels are afternoon fixtures - a distinct disadvantage playing in Aussie heat when their home games are all on chilly NZ evenings. One of their Perth games is at 11pm NZ time and they have Boxing Day in Newcastle!

Now I know some will say we are not an attractive proposition but it looks like a vicious circle. At the very least, the F3 derby should be given night status, a bit of build up and some of the Fox promos they love to make for the other derbies. That gives us something to work on. At this stage there is little proactive support from Fox Sports to build its product outside of Sydney and Melbourne.

Anyway I just found this analysis interesting!

Fabulous post. Fox and the FFA need to read this.

hawk
17-10-2016, 07:46 PM
So the supporter experience, football spectacle and growth of fan base would incresae with night games? I'd like to see that.

Jetmaster
18-10-2016, 11:43 AM
So the supporter experience, football spectacle and growth of fan base would incresae with night games? I'd like to see that.

That is exactly what I am saying Hawk though of course some on field success is a crucial building block.

Jetmaster
18-10-2016, 11:51 AM
It would be interesting to see how Fox would deal with expansion next time around. More games so either spread the love or have some (shock, horror) concurrent kickoffs.

GazFish35
18-10-2016, 01:00 PM
Fox make more money doing what they do.
Find a way for them to make money showing "the big games" in the afternoon and they might listen.

Fox aren't gonna listen, but we need LEDMAN and all his cash arguing the point for us too.

Hunter403
18-10-2016, 01:04 PM
Wouldn't a later start suit Chinese TV times better than afternoon slots? That would be the angle for Ledman

stopper2
18-10-2016, 03:12 PM
It would be interesting to see how Fox would deal with expansion next time around. More games so either spread the love or have some (shock, horror) concurrent kickoffs.

Excellent work Jetmaster in compiling that data and showing the comparisons.

For now I think we just have to cop it as I can see the reasoning behind FFA wanting to maximise the TV ratings in order to get a better TV broadcast deal. The good thing is that the new deal will be negotiated in coming months and come into effect for next season. This means our club will have every right to say hey we want a fairer share of the night games. I'm not saying to have 80%, just being reasonable say 30-40% which equates to 4 to 6 home night games (depending how many home games we have).
If not next season then the following we will likely see the comp expand to 12 teams meaning that FFA and the broadcaster/s are going to have to start thinking outside the square a bit anyway. Do we add on say a Thursday night game or a Monday night game? Wouldn't bother me, I would actually prefer a Thursday or Monday night 7pm kickoff then a Sunday arvo at 5pm.
I think it's been mentioned before but 6pm wouldn't be a bad compromise, I've noticed we have some 5.35pm kickoffs but you go to 6pm and it gives people more time to get to the game for people who work and also who have other sports on.

Thought it would be worth mentioning that I saw a comment on twitter from a SFC supporter to Tony Pignata saying how as a young father he wished there were more arvo games as they have too many at night!!!
There is just too much of an imbalance now, whether we deserve more night games or not is not the point. Our club needs to fight for a fairer scheduling arrangement, unless it is prepared to forever be typecast as the club that just plays it's home games in the graveyard timeslot on a Sunday arvo.

The Dunster
18-10-2016, 03:29 PM
Letting Fox call all the shots demonstrates what jelly backs the FFA really are. Fox might have paid a lot of money for the rights and all but if the FFA aren't in charge then you really need to question why they even exist.

GazFish35
18-10-2016, 04:05 PM
Letting Fox call all the shots demonstrates what jelly backs the FFA really are. Fox might have paid a lot of money for the rights and all but if the FFA aren't in charge then you really need to question why they even exist.

same can be said for almost every FA in the world then.

TV ru(i)ns football.

the classico in La Liga kicked off at 10pm once - all for TV

id hope FFA are taking a stronger stance in negatioans for the next TV deal though and wanting more control of kickoff times.
still, th ebetter the TV audience the beetr the sponsorship for the league - it just sucks that some clubs are seeing better benefits. But it coyuld be worse - we could have been relegated already

stopper2
18-10-2016, 06:12 PM

No doubt Fox control the kick off times to fit in with their programming and as Gaz states also this happens around the world but I still think FFA have some influence in the fixtures. Like I've said above, FFA want to maximise the next TV deal and to do that they want ratings as high as possible.....hence the so-called "big city" teams playing the overwhelming majority of prime time games on Friday and Saturday night both last season and now this season.
Once the deal is finalised, clubs like us and the Mariners have to start speaking up and making some noise and demanding a fairer schedule.
Especially if we can improve on the field and improve on 8th I would say we have every farken right to demand more then 2 + (1 in Coffs) evening home matches.

goaliepersempre
18-10-2016, 06:33 PM
same can be said for almost every FA in the world then.

TV ru(i)ns football.

the classico in La Liga kicked off at 10pm once - all for TV

id hope FFA are taking a stronger stance in negatioans for the next TV deal though and wanting more control of kickoff times.
still, th ebetter the TV audience the beetr the sponsorship for the league - it just sucks that some clubs are seeing better benefits. But it coyuld be worse - we could have been relegated already

Yup but my previous post has shown that even with TV a deal can be made... the new tv deal in switzerland is a massive increase.. but games only being shown in 2 time slots, all games shown and 1 channel showing the conference... Germany also pushing it re game times..

although both 2nd divisions have a monday..

Its about being strong and whats best for the game..

hey a 5pm game in winter no problem, but in the aussie summer its just absurd.

Superdylan
21-10-2016, 01:45 PM
One way they could increase night games is by pushing brisbane roar Saturday games back an hour (8:50pm nsw time) or even later for all that I care. Still a 7:50pm local time but allows a later kickoff at 6:35pm as oppose to 5:35pm. Sure its not ideal but could help.

Biggest thing however I've noticed this season is wellington having all their home games at 7pm & 7:35pm local time which imo has dramatically cut down the chances of having more Saturday games.

But if the weather stays nice I'm not gonna complain too much about saturday & sunday 5pm games. Better then playing midweek and having even lower crowds.

hawk
21-10-2016, 05:00 PM
But if the weather stays nice I'm not gonna complain too much about saturday & sunday 5pm games. Better then playing midweek and having even lower crowds.

no chance. It will be hotter than 10 nuns narsties in a cupla weeks.

stopper2
23-10-2016, 11:43 AM
no chance. It will be hotter than 10 nuns narsties in a cupla weeks.

Yeah If I recall last season we dodged a few bullets in that either side of a few arvo games the temps were well into the 30's while on matchday it was mid-20's.
I think we may have had 2 games where the temp was over 30 degrees.
Might not be so lucky this season.

Superdylan
23-10-2016, 01:35 PM
Yeah If I recall last season we dodged a few bullets in that either side of a few arvo games the temps were well into the 30's while on matchday it was mid-20's.
I think we may have had 2 games where the temp was over 30 degrees.
Might not be so lucky this season.

We also had a few rain affected/overcast saturday/sunday games too.

Hottest game I can ever remember though was that 40 degrees day back in season 5 when we played the phoenix at home. Only 4000 turned up for that one & the active support was silent most of the second half.

Jetmaster
23-10-2016, 02:44 PM
We also had a few rain affected/overcast saturday/sunday games too.

Hottest game I can ever remember though was that 40 degrees day back in season 5 when we played the phoenix at home. Only 4000 turned up for that one & the active support was silent most of the second half.

Peak temp that day was actually 44 degrees!

Very interesting to hear Bozza last night say how much better night games are in terms of atmosphere and quality of play.

plague
23-10-2016, 03:58 PM

Remember that one. I left at halftime, the Sunnysides air con got man of the match. Pretty sure we were losing at halftime too weren't we?

stopper2
23-10-2016, 04:10 PM
Remember that one. I left at halftime, the Sunnysides air con got man of the match. Pretty sure we were losing at halftime too weren't we?

Yeah, ended up losing 1-0.
Youth team played a few games that season and I remember they played that day too as my young bloke was one of the ballboys.
It was hot but the westerly blowing made it even worse. Sitting in the eastern stand that day would have been unbearable, temp probably 50 degrees plus.

Jetmaster
28-10-2016, 08:59 AM
I have had some good feedback on these stats by a number of people amazed by the disparities.

I would like to escalate this to somebody in the media to have a look - any ideas, just start with the Herald? (Sydney journos would probably throw it in the bin!)

plague
28-10-2016, 09:44 AM
I have had some good feedback on these stats by a number of people amazed by the disparities.

Why is anyone amazed?
You've been given the reason why. It's no secret, not from the broadcaster, or the FFA.

Hunter403
28-10-2016, 06:23 PM

I would like to escalate this to somebody in the media to have a look - any ideas, just start with the Herald? (Sydney journos would probably throw it in the bin!)

Send to Michael Lynch. I emailed him after a recent article and he got back to me. Surprising really but he might take it up. Also looks like Cockerill is leaning toward the anti City bandwagon too,

Jetmaster
29-10-2016, 09:40 AM
Why is anyone amazed?
You've been given the reason why. It's no secret, not from the broadcaster, or the FFA.

Sick of being buttf***** Plague.....never say never...forza little guy....ANZAC spirit and all that.

stopper2
31-10-2016, 01:05 PM
Sick of being buttf***** Plague.....never say never...forza little guy....ANZAC spirit and all that.

It's all about making some noise, otherwise no can hear you if you say nothing!