PDA

View Full Version : GVE Gooooooooone

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Pico
17-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Agree. The performances lately have been shit, some of GVE's selections have been frustrating as fxxx, but they're nowhere near the same level of the away performances under Branko.

My feeling on the rest of the season:

< 6th place = GVE out
5th or 6th = depends on how well we do in the finals, GVE possibly out
1st to 4th = GVE in, build for next season

Where have I heard that before, let me guess GVE just needs his own players too.

militiamon
17-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Right, because coming 2nd would be such a travesty, same old Jets etc.

pv4
17-12-2012, 09:21 PM
my thoughts in preseason, and still existing, are anything less than top 2 and gve out. the resources he had available, the amount of time he had to build his squad, he had no excuse not to slay the league this year.

however, i can see us winding up keeping him regardless of final position (unless it's bottom two)

MFKS
17-12-2012, 09:26 PM
my thoughts in preseason, and still existing, are anything less than top 2 and gve out. the resources he had available, the amount of time he had to build his squad, he had no excuse not to slay the league this year.

however, i can see us winding up keeping him regardless of final position (unless it's bottom two)

PV4 Out of curiosity what was it about our pre season signings that warranted your thoughts of a top 2 finish for us??
Also considering the standards of most of our pre season football what was it that you saw that convinced you we would be great this year??

My expectations were a little lower Top 6 with maybe a Top 4 effort if we go well

furns
17-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Personally my minimum expectations is top 4 and a semifinal at the least.

However I believe that HSGs expectations are much lower.

belchardo
17-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Personally my minimum expectations is top 4 and a semifinal at the least.

However I believe that HSGs expectations are much lower.

tinkler doesn't suffer fools. tinkler doesn't suffer failure. tinkler doesn't suffer disappointment. blah blah blah.

GazFish35
17-12-2012, 11:13 PM
Tinkler doesn't give two shits about the jets

parksey
17-12-2012, 11:42 PM
^ hahahaha.

Also, will someone please explain to me why that guy keeps calling him "Van God". Was there a memo that I missed or something?

must be getting gaz confused with rvp

Football is us
18-12-2012, 02:34 AM
^ hahahaha.

Also, will someone please explain to me why that guy keeps calling him "Van God". Was there a memo that I missed or something?

When Branko was dubiously sacked, from media reports, HSG seemed to think that GVE was God's gift to football, and would be popular with the fans. And thus from the list of applicants, no light shone as brightly as the sunshine from Van God's arse.

The appointment of Middleby as CEO was done along similar lines ... would be a good puppet and a popular within his home town.

pv4
18-12-2012, 07:41 AM
PV4 Out of curiosity what was it about our pre season signings that warranted your thoughts of a top 2 finish for us??
Also considering the standards of most of our pre season football what was it that you saw that convinced you we would be great this year??

My expectations were a little lower Top 6 with maybe a Top 4 effort if we go well

my expectation for this season was created the moment gve was appointed last season & the first thing he said was "this is not my squad, this whole year is a write-off because i am going to hammer home the style i want to play & i will add/remove the players i have a year to assess to create my squad for next year". given to him were immensely great resources (apparently we had budgeted for 2 marquees), an entire season worth of excuse under his belt (where i don't think results would have cared in the slightest) and total transfer control (buying all kids, even buying ribeiro totally by himself). this season, regardless of who gve brought in, i had no lower expectations than doing what ange did at brisbane. the moment he did a tiatto-move to wehrman, it was quite clear he was just trying to do exactly what ange did to brisbane. gve talked that game, and has no excuse not to get there.

in preseason, however, i thought we were wiping aside state league opposition a lot better than we used to (that weston 7-0 from branko days aside, weston were garbage that night). we seemed to control state league games a lot more, and for once it was obviously clear who the professional side was in the game. we were actually doing good things with the ball - i was impressed with tiago, mitchell, neville, taggz, brillante, birraz, and a few others. it felt like this preseason had a different vibe to it, and i was one of those guys standing with my arms crossed saying "gve is going to fxxx our season up" but couldn't help but walk away from games thinking "wow, maybe gve is going to do it".

i cannot and will not buy into the philosophy that simply by adding heskey into the team, it changed our entire system and gve can't actually implement the system. whether the heskey move was hsg-inspired and gve didn't have a say or not, gve spent the best part of off-season telling everyone that our system needed a target man. which it did. which it received. the sudden revert to heaps of long-balls & well direct play is not an indication of what the team HAS to do when heskey is there, it's what gve chooses to do - stupidly. and the players haven't taken the decision to pump longballs on themselves - they're getting instructed to do it by gve. heskey hasn't always played as the lone target - iirc most of his career was playing alongside another striker, whether he be target or the false 9 (him & bent at villa most recent example).

apart from sydney away, i haven't watched a game this season that i genuinely felt we deserved to walk away with 3 points without caring what the opposition did. and that is a huge, huge failure on gve's behalf imo. he's had a whole year to sort his shit out, and he has nae done that.

to be totally honest, imo the two biggest transfer cockups we've had in recent years were not getting smeltz, and not getting farina (my opinion on farina had and has no sway from his recent decision to sign for sydney and/or his recent form for sydney, it was established well before that). gve is and was the wrong choice.

#gveout

Pico
18-12-2012, 08:43 AM
Right, because coming 2nd would be such a travesty, same old Jets etc.

Its not the finishing 2nd part of your prediction its the Building for next season, how many years do we need to build for.

Are we a football club or a construction company, judging by the coaching statements for the past few years its the latter, always building for next year, which is weird seeing that we finished last in 08/09, then managed to improve (not hard when your dead last) to 6th 09/10 but then have regressed to 7th for 10/11 & 11/12, always building but never getting any where.

It's time for things to change, keeping a bloke who has more excuses then wins is not the best way to go about it either, unless its just because these are branko's players still?

18-12-2012, 09:10 AM
my expectation for this season was created the moment gve was appointed last season & the first thing he said was "this is not my squad, this whole year is a write-off because i am going to hammer home the style i want to play & i will add/remove the players i have a year to assess to create my squad for next year". given to him were immensely great resources (apparently we had budgeted for 2 marquees), an entire season worth of excuse under his belt (where i don't think results would have cared in the slightest) and total transfer control (buying all kids, even buying ribeiro totally by himself). this season, regardless of who gve brought in, i had no lower expectations than doing what ange did at brisbane. the moment he did a tiatto-move to wehrman, it was quite clear he was just trying to do exactly what ange did to brisbane. gve talked that game, and has no excuse not to get there.

in preseason, however, i thought we were wiping aside state league opposition a lot better than we used to (that weston 7-0 from branko days aside, weston were garbage that night). we seemed to control state league games a lot more, and for once it was obviously clear who the professional side was in the game. we were actually doing good things with the ball - i was impressed with tiago, mitchell, neville, taggz, brillante, birraz, and a few others. it felt like this preseason had a different vibe to it, and i was one of those guys standing with my arms crossed saying "gve is going to fxxx our season up" but couldn't help but walk away from games thinking "wow, maybe gve is going to do it".

i cannot and will not buy into the philosophy that simply by adding heskey into the team, it changed our entire system and gve can't actually implement the system. whether the heskey move was hsg-inspired and gve didn't have a say or not, gve spent the best part of off-season telling everyone that our system needed a target man. which it did. which it received. the sudden revert to heaps of long-balls & well direct play is not an indication of what the team HAS to do when heskey is there, it's what gve chooses to do - stupidly. and the players haven't taken the decision to pump longballs on themselves - they're getting instructed to do it by gve. heskey hasn't always played as the lone target - iirc most of his career was playing alongside another striker, whether he be target or the false 9 (him & bent at villa most recent example).

apart from sydney away, i haven't watched a game this season that i genuinely felt we deserved to walk away with 3 points without caring what the opposition did. and that is a huge, huge failure on gve's behalf imo. he's had a whole year to sort his shit out, and he has nae done that.

to be totally honest, imo the two biggest transfer cockups we've had in recent years were not getting smeltz, and not getting farina (my opinion on farina had and has no sway from his recent decision to sign for sydney and/or his recent form for sydney, it was established well before that). gve is and was the wrong choice.

#gveout

Could not agree more. Have always felt in my mind HSG after all the chaos of the Jason and Branko drama felt it was time to save face with the Newcastle Football fraternity and one way to do this and create a good news story was to bring GVE back.

By bringing back GVE who managed us to a title they probably thought they were bringing god back so to speak and in turn win back the faith of the supporters. Sadly for those who made that decision they read the situation completely wrong. From the time of the anouncement he was returning comments have been staunchly divided . I am in the group that did not want him back but not because as a lot of people claimed he done a runner on us the first time around but simply because his career success rate as a manager is terrible at best.

There always seems to be issues following GVE around from his man management skills, playing favourites over players in better form, blaming others rather than accepting some responsibilty himself etc etc. The thing is all these issues were a trait of his management first time around and remain to this day.

He always appears to be a manager reacting rather than innovating and this is why i think he was and still not the right fit for this club. When the club showed Branko the door there was a wonderful opportunity for a fresh start and those at HSG although thinking they were getting it right IMO got it terribly wrong.

All in IMO of course.

boz-monaut
18-12-2012, 09:27 AM
There always seems to be issues following GVE around from his man management skills, playing favourites over players in better form, blaming others rather than accepting some responsibility himself etc etc. The thing is all these issues were a trait of his management first time around and remain to this day.

He always appears to be a manager reacting rather than innovating and this is why I think he was and still not the right fit for this club. these three succinct sentences say it all really

well said

lquiquer
18-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Ange took responsibility after their Adelaide loss... He said he picked the wrong players in his back 4. Never heard GVE say anything like that...

MFKS
18-12-2012, 01:18 PM

#gveout

As for our pre season from what I seen of it we weren't as great as everyone made out. Sure we may have been undefeated but that doesn't tell the real story.

In our game V Phoenix at Weston that seen the brawl we were second best. It wasn't until the brawl that we got into the game. Pretty easy I suppose when it is 10 V 9 and the 9 are sitting back trying to defend. Even when it went to 10 V 8 we done no better. Score finished 3-1 to us yet we had all the ball and dominated possession field position and chances for the best part of 65 mins. From what I seen that night no great signs to warrant HIGH EXPECTATION

In our game V WSW at Wanderers Oval we started alright and for the first 10 mins we were playing well. Neville scored a cracker, one touch passing and movement were happening. A couple of stray passes and then after that all I seen was the 75 mins of shit I see every week at present.

In our game at ADamstown Oval against a NNSW Select side that was made up of at least half the Jets Yoof team we won 2-1. We were ****ing poor. Lucky to come back from 1-0 down after the Birraz into the head of was it Mitchell howler that led to the opening goal. Only other highlight of the night was a great strike by Rubes that hit the crossbar from an acute angle.

Even watched our pre season Intra Club match at RAY Watt that a thousand or so turned out for. What was their that great to see??

From what I seen our Pre season and our HAL season have been almost on the same level. The Only blip being the Smurfs game in Rd 2 where we turned it on.

As for our signings

Birraz - Back Up at Adelaide - Needs time to Develop
Neville - Played most of his games at Perth when Perth were shit and had lost his spot to Risdon before choosing us
Mitchell - Played most of his games at Perth when Perth were shit and couldn't cement a spot there yet comes here a s a starter
Ritter - Unknown European
Brillante - Young kid who had a few games at Gold Coast last season.
Goodwin - Young kid who played 4 games at Heart last year and had some profile thanks to Craig Foster after a stellar debut
Brown - Promising kid who had been in the Gold Coast set up for the last 3 years
Cooper - Young kid at Gold Coast who had a profile thanks to the Captain on Debut Farce thanks to Clive Palmer
Taggart - Young kid who couldn't get a go at Perth behind Smeltz and Mehmet who came here looking for a chance
Ribero - Obscure Brazilllian who came to us with no great raps from Albania
HEskey - EPL player with Big name and alleged pedigree

Looking at our signings being added to the likes of Jobe Kanta BK Bridges Jesic etc the same guys who couldn't do it last years or the year before and were the lucky ones to escape the chop that claimed Takka Labi etc what makes you think we are going from work in progress to world beaters??

Building a champion side takes time and many factors.

To beleive GVE is on the same level as Ange and can achieve the things Ange did at Roar in his first full season is a good laugh!!

The thing that is bugging me most about our current predicament is not that we are losing, not that Tinks financial woes are a daily event but that for some reason we have strayed from the Eggs plan.

Friday night first half Perth 66% of possession. This from a noted hoof ball side and us wanting to play a possession based game. Not ****ING GOOD ENOUGH

Egg needs to get us back to playing the way he wants us to win lose or draw. Not this abortion of a style we see at present. If we lose playing the way Egg wants us to so be it. We will improve and get better at it in time. Playing a mish mash of styles we do at present won't get us anywhere

goaliepersempre
18-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Egg needs to get us back to playing the way he wants us to win lose or draw. Not this abortion of a style we see at present. If we lose playing the way Egg wants us to so be it. We will improve and get better at it in time. Playing a mish mash of styles we do at present won't get us anywhere

Egg is the coach, determines tactics... he dropped players so he could play his "style".... So clearly this shit we are doing is his doing. therefore. GVE Out.

end of story.

Bon
18-12-2012, 01:31 PM
I think a key to getting some fluidity and eventual success on the field is to actually have a regular starting side that will know how to play with each other..
Not continually swap 4-5 starting players every single game.
I hate to say it, but look at the dirty coasties.. Just about the same starting side, week in, week out..

pv4
18-12-2012, 01:45 PM
mfks - i did nae watch the three games you mentioned, but as i attempted to highlight in my post, i had these expectations well before preseason had even begun (aka i didn't give a flying fxxx how we did in preseason as i rarely use preseason form as a judge for the jerks because the season, particularly to start off with, rarely pans out how preseason form predicts it will). but the games i did see v state league teams in preseason, i thought we were better than other years against the same teams.

sh10
18-12-2012, 01:47 PM
How long should a coach be given? "We need change" is a bit ridiculous when he's been here for not even 2 years. Maybe we should just change the coach every season until we get one that luckboxes us the toilet seat?

MFKS
18-12-2012, 02:02 PM
mfks - i did nae watch the three games you mentioned, but as i attempted to highlight in my post, i had these expectations well before preseason had even begun (aka i didn't give a flying fxxx how we did in preseason as i rarely use preseason form as a judge for the jerks because the season, particularly to start off with, rarely pans out how preseason form predicts it will). but the games i did see v state league teams in preseason, i thought we were better than other years against the same teams.

IF PV4 you had Top 2 expectations well before the preseason maybe your level of expectations are the problem. Sure it is possible to go from the bottom to the top in 1 season but it is highly unlikely.

We are prone to shooting ourselves in the foot here in Newy and GVE is renowned for his brain fart ideas (ie Dropping Goody starting Oxborrow) and meltdowns when things aren't going well for these reasons it is gonna be a slow journey for us to the top not a giant out of the blue leap

Bremsstrahlung
18-12-2012, 02:26 PM
How long should a coach be given? "We need change" is a bit ridiculous when he's been here for not even 2 years. Maybe we should just change the coach every season until we get one that luckboxes us the toilet seat?

This.

goaliepersempre
18-12-2012, 02:31 PM
This.

well if we were in any other competition... We would have been relagated along time ago...

The Dunster
18-12-2012, 04:27 PM

This.

seldom
18-12-2012, 04:34 PM
I think a key to getting some fluidity and eventual success on the field is to actually have a regular starting side that will know how to play with each other..
I hate to say it, but look at the dirty coasties.. Just about the same starting side, week in, week out..

spot on

Grimario
18-12-2012, 04:39 PM

Yep, agree 100%. Whether or not it ends up being the perceived best 11 on the pitch or just Dutchy's favourite 11, they have to play games together to get the combinations right. How many different back 5 combinations have we had? Might have had the back 4 the same a few times but the have had different keepers behind them, different screeners in front. How many times have we had the same front 4? Heskey has played every game but everyone else has been moved about every single game.

Sigh.

parksey
18-12-2012, 07:56 PM
i did say that appointing gve again would be a bad move.

although, i think he is very unfairly criticised most of the time.

stopper2
18-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Lets cast our minds back to 2006. Nick Theo is coach and the Jets with a talented squad are 3 points after 7 matches and leaking goals like a sieve. Nick Theo is hell bent on playing 3-5-2 even though they have a young inexperienced keeper in BK.....somethings gotta give. Con sacks the coach because of the lack of results and the fact that Theo had also lost the dressing room and GVE/Mark Jones take over.
I clearly remember the first thing GVE said he was going to do was to stop the rot at the back by reverting to a back four and focusing initially on keeping the opposition scoreless. There was also going to be a "leadership group" which would include the likes of Okon, Griffiths, Carle, Coveny etc. who would all have some input and say in decision-making. As we all know the team turned it around and went to within one match of the GF. The next year with a slightly different side we went and won the GF.
Back then GVE was regarded as the best young Aussie coach going around......now he is known as the "tinkerman", a coach who wipes you if you dare disagree with his philosphy and one who it now seems has forgotten what it takes to be a winning team.

sh10
18-12-2012, 08:24 PM
although, i think he is very unfairly criticised most of the time.

pretty much

this thread can be summed up as follows:

- we're playing like shit (fair enough)
- GVE doesnt change the team = he's playing favourites, persisting with shit players
- GVE does change the team = he's a tinkerman, we need to play consistently with the same team
- poor man manager, arrogant etc from people who've never met the bloke let alone sat in on training and the dressing room

doesn't matter what he does, he'll get shit from supporters either way. can't win.

GazFish35
18-12-2012, 08:28 PM
can't win.

then he's got to go.

Captain Obvious
18-12-2012, 08:50 PM
doesn't matter what he does, he'll get shit from supporters either way. can't win.

This is the 'GVE OUT' thread though.

westjet
18-12-2012, 09:02 PM
vidosic into a technical director role - wonder if the jets will follow suit with Gary

militiamon
18-12-2012, 09:26 PM
pretty much

this thread can be summed up as follows:

- we're playing like shit (fair enough)
- GVE doesnt change the team = he's playing favourites, persisting with shit players
- GVE does change the team = he's a tinkerman, we need to play consistently with the same team
- poor man manager, arrogant etc from people who've never met the bloke let alone sat in on training and the dressing room

Good summary, this is exactly how I see it.

hawk
18-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Did he not build the team? end of.

Pico
19-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Did he not build the team? end of.

Nah the kit man is still Branko's, gary needs his own before we can stand a chance at winning games.

pv4
19-12-2012, 08:32 AM

what about the people who are saying this who have met him, have sat in on trainings/dressing rooms with him?

my summary of gve is as follows:
- shit man manager
- egomaniac who changes for the sake of change, for the sense of power
- he talks & acts like he's created his dynasty, his legacy, already when in reality he's done sfa
- athletes >>>>>>>>> footballers
- has set up our system completely wrong for the players he's got in his squad, and refuses to recognise that
- looks for excuses left, right & centre in an attempt to avoid any blame for anything
- wouldn't bother with coaching if he didn't get his kicks from the whole media game that he prides himself on
- the year after the grand final win he came out saying "finally, i've got the team set up how i want it" and we finished dead last.
- was the wrong choice from the start

Muswellbrookian
19-12-2012, 09:04 AM
- shit man manager
- he talks & acts like he's created his dynasty, his legacy, already when in reality he's done sfa
- has set up our system completely wrong for the players he's got in his squad, and refuses to recognise that
- looks for excuses left, right & centre in an attempt to avoid any blame for anything
- wouldn't bother with coaching if he didn't get his kicks from the whole media game that he prides himself on
- the year after the grand final win he came out saying "finally, i've got the team set up how i want it" and we finished dead last.

Does it say more about the club (who hire the coaches) or about us fans (who bag the shit of them) that your summary of GVE could also apply pretty accurately to Branko, with the obvious exception of the post-grand final comment and taking into account the fact that Big B probably did favour footballers over athletes?

Hard to judge from the other side of the world, but seems to me like Gary is losing the plot (if he ever had it). Time will tell. I honestly expect us to lose to Sydney at home this weekend, as per usual - it's how we respond and perform and gain points (or fail to) for the rest of the season that really interests me.

q-money
19-12-2012, 11:34 AM
gary van egmond in his hotel room

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5SZAMBdHHY

parksey
19-12-2012, 11:36 AM
what about the people who are saying this who have met him, have sat in on trainings/dressing rooms with him?

- shit man manager

your favourite player is more of an athlete than a footballer, you should be happy with that facet of gve's management.

q-money
19-12-2012, 11:42 AM
lol parksey dropping pv4's baby

pv4
19-12-2012, 01:37 PM
your favourite player is more of an athlete than a footballer, you should be happy with that facet of gve's management.

my favourite current players (rubez, tiago, jobe) all actually want to play football, want the ball at all times, do whatever it takes to get the team over the line & win the ball back, and lead by example.

The Dunster
19-12-2012, 01:48 PM
then he's got to go.

http://thewritersguidetoepublishing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Stamp-of-approval-pix-are-we-legit.jpg

sh10
19-12-2012, 01:51 PM

- shit man manager

have you sat in on training/dressing rooms with him? Or are you going off the prevailing opinion on the foz? Or off a couple of disgruntled players?

Plenty of stone throwing from people who've never done any of the above sorta obscures the opinions of people who are actually close to the club.

I'm not pretending I know what it's like in training or the dressing room but I'm honest about that and don't make assumptions about what it's like in there

pv4
19-12-2012, 01:53 PM
have you sat in on training/dressing rooms with him?

yes

Grimario
19-12-2012, 02:01 PM
have you sat in on training/dressing rooms with him? Or are you going off the prevailing opinion on the foz? Or off a couple of disgruntled players?

Plenty of stone throwing from people who've never done any of the above sorta obscures the opinions of people who are actually close to the club.

I'm not pretending I know what it's like in training or the dressing room but I'm honest about that and don't make assumptions about what it's like in there
I don't care if pv4 has or has not sat in on training sessions or in the dressing room... I am sick of shit performances, sick of the eternal team changes, sick of the excuses. I don't think I need to have sat in on training to be able to come to that conclusion.

hawk
19-12-2012, 02:16 PM
I don't care if pv4 has or has not sat in on training sessions or in the dressing room... I am sick of shit performances, sick of the eternal team changes, sick of the excuses. I don't think I need to have sat in on training to be able to come to that conclusion.

Just need to sit in on match day.

After Xmas we'll right I'm giving this to GVE.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/pomd6.dw2ek/v/vspfiles/photos/ST-B007-2.jpg

sh10
19-12-2012, 02:18 PM
yes

Good - informed opinion is good.

What exactly gives you the impression that he changes 'for the sake of change'? That he's an egomaniac?

pv4
19-12-2012, 02:42 PM
he changes so if it comes off he can shower himself with praise for masterminding it. he changes for the sake of letting his players know that it is not their team, it is his team, and he has complete control. he plays the oppositions game, rather than his own, and every decision is determined by what the opposition do. he also genuinely gets off by telling people he'll do one thing, and completely doing the opposite (perfect example in a jets scenario was "taylor regan is definately the first person on the team sheet next week" only to not feature). so yes, egomaniac if i had to sum it all up in one word.

the thing about all these minor little details that gets me though - gve was probably thinking before the last coast game "arnie is on of my best mates (fact) & i've been talking up james virgili for weeks to him now. he's going to suspect i'll play virgili on right wing, just like last time, and he'll be focusing more on containing him & not letting him do a heskey-goal run like last time" where graham arnold's thoughts were probably "fxxx me, i hope pasfield doesn't embarrass us. we'll miss rogic too. i'll put the best possible replacement players for ryan & rogic's respective positions in their place, and we'll see how it goes from there. none of my starting back four are injured - cool. probably need to tell the boys that they should probably expect more high balls than normal & to keep their wits about them around heskey".

q-money
19-12-2012, 02:46 PM
pv4 outs himself as graham arnold

19-12-2012, 03:36 PM
GVE out !.

Why ?. Results man results. Don't care that he has the following issues :

Pubic hair on top
The Tinker man
Perhaps a " I am " attitude.

All means SFA at the end of the day.

Only thing that matters and being a sport are the numbers. His W D L stats are f*&^ing deplorable at best. Take out the season we won and just how bad would those %'s really look.

Did not set the world on fire at the AIS either for that matter.

Like Nick Ward, living off the glory of being a one season wonder. The fact that many of us go along to games expecting to be smacked says enough about how this team is managed.

And those selections for the final game in Sydney last season when only a point needed, what the F^&k were they about ????????????????????.

Bon
19-12-2012, 03:49 PM
The fact that many of us go along to games expecting to be smacked says enough about how this team is managed..

I was about to say how much I agree with you about this..
Until I realised that that is how its almost always been as a Jets supporter.. hahaha

pistolpete
19-12-2012, 04:01 PM
I was about to say how much I agree with you about this..
Until I realised that that is how its almost always been as a Jets supporter.. hahaha

So true. Even the year we won it we were expected to come last or close to it. 26-1 from memory?

sh10
19-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Only thing that matters and being a sport are the numbers. His W D L stats are f*&^ing deplorable at best. Take out the season we won and just how bad would those %'s really look.

Take out the 2 seasons where we killed it and you're left with 2 seasons (half of 08/09, 11/12 and half of 12/13) we're we haven't been great. So what you're saying is overall we're 50-50? Of course that wouldn't suit your argument.

q-money
19-12-2012, 04:42 PM
nick ward even scored against us, smh

belchardo
19-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Take out the 2 seasons where we killed it and you're left with 2 seasons (half of 08/09, 11/12 and half of 12/13) we're we haven't been great. So what you're saying is overall we're 50-50? Of course that wouldn't suit your argument.

agree completely. take out michael clarke's hundreds, double and triple hundreds from his last year and all he's got to show for it are single figure innings.

sorry 380, bit of a silly argument there.

sh10
19-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Clarkey's pretty shit when he's not scoring hundreds tho

belchardo
19-12-2012, 04:56 PM
nick ward even scored against us, smh

pavlovic, hearfield did as well didn't they?

MFKS
19-12-2012, 10:33 PM
my favourite current players (rubez, tiago, jobe) all actually want to play football, want the ball at all times, do whatever it takes to get the team over the line & win the ball back, and lead by example.

Admittedly Jobe is out injured at present but the players who are really disappointing me at present are our elder brigade. Heskey Mitchell Tiago Rubes Ry Griff Bridges when he gets a run etc have all played enough to know how to lead the team.

The McBreen 2nd goal and Dodd's 2nd goal last weekend show the complete lack of leadership from our senior brigade. The Dodd goal was scored with Heskey Mitchell and Tiago in close attendance to deal with it and none made the effort.

We have a young squad and our core group of senior players are not pulling their weight and leading the team about in these tough times. It is no good hanging the likes of Oxborrow out to dry for a **** up when Mitchell goes unpunished for 3 needless penalties conceeded in the last 5 games. Whats worse is he only played in 3 and a bit of them due to Send off/suspension. What type of environment is GVE instilling particularly witrh a young squad when a young kid gets hooked (JESSIE PINTO STYLE) after making an error yet Mitchell makes error after error and retains his spot in the side every week???

One of the worst aspects of our senior players is that we can lament the likes of Chilli not scoring on the break last week yet Tarago Mitchell don't look like keeping a clean sheet and yet we still persevere with these blokes despite them so abjectly failing in what is their JOB

Jobe isn't the worse captain in the world and to me despite not being the my choice to lead the club has done a more than fair to very good job. The rest of the blokes though who should be providing the leadership at the club aren't.

GVE needs to start rectifying this by bringing in a Lljubo /Jacob Burns like figure or replacing the older players with blokes who are secondary leaders who will lead by example.

Also Zads needs to be let off the ****ING LEASH. Who cares if he gets red carded or booked repeatedly. Let him loose and fire us the **** up.

plague
19-12-2012, 10:55 PM
pv4 outs himself as graham arnold

Lets have a better look at this.

PV4 goes in hard on GVE, leading the charge to get him punted.
PV4 has been in the rooms with GVE.

Who else sits in the rooms with GVE?
Who has the most to gain from GVE getting punted?

There can be only one answer.

ZOMG PV4 IS CRAIG DEANS!!!!!!!!!!!!

MFKS
19-12-2012, 11:22 PM

That's almost slander Plague :blush: :rof:

PV4 doesn't deserve those type of accusations

pv4
19-12-2012, 11:38 PM
come on gaiz

clearly I'm mark jones

but IMO the first three games of last season I thought we were effing terrific :gent:

seldom
20-12-2012, 12:20 AM
GVE needs to start rectifying this by bringing in a Lljubo /Jacob Burns like figure or replacing the older players with blokes who are secondary leaders who will lead by example.

Jacob Burns FFS...member give yaself an upercut

Jeterpool
20-12-2012, 09:37 AM

We had that player, but he had a run in with Gary and is now coaching up in QLD.

Jeterpool
20-12-2012, 09:38 AM

Modern day Sherlock Holmes you are... :gent:

pv4
20-12-2012, 09:47 AM
have heard through my sources (aka i saw it at training, when i was doing my job as assistant coach) that taylor regan & gve have had a huge run-in & gve is kaseywehrman-ing regan.

anyone heard similar?

Bon
20-12-2012, 09:51 AM
have heard through my sources (aka i saw it at training, when i was doing my job as assistant coach) that taylor regan & gve have had a huge run-in & gve is kaseywehrman-ing regan.

anyone heard similar?

Yeah I have heard that there is definitely "stuff going on behind the scenes" from my source.. hahaha edited real quick..

Jeterpool
20-12-2012, 09:53 AM

anyone heard similar?

I heard this about 3 weeks ago. Didn't want to post it. Regan has played since I heard this however - possibly through necessity and because Jobe and Kanta were injured and playing Ritter at CB would mean GvE has to start Goodwin or play Galloway.

20-12-2012, 10:02 AM
We had that player, but he had a run in with Gary and is now coaching up in QLD.

So true. good link man between back third and front third and just enough mongrel in him without being a liabilty.

Grimario
20-12-2012, 10:02 AM
I think Taylor's sister or cousin (or something) was sitting behind me near the away tunnel against the Gypos. One of them was complaining a bunch about him having to rot in the youth and it was about time he got his chance because he works his arse off.

pv4
20-12-2012, 10:27 AM
I think Taylor's sister or cousin (or something)

he's from dudley/redhead. pretty sure she was both his sister & his cousin.

:gent:

forza west side of the lake

Bon
20-12-2012, 10:31 AM
forza west side of the lake

Restepc.. Reco'nise..

Bremsstrahlung
20-12-2012, 10:48 AM

anyone heard similar?

I have heard similar.

I think the Herald even alluded to something. The image and caption for one of the articles leading up to CCM, had about 4 images of Regan + GVE exchanging words/animated discussion. Will see if I can find a link.

Edit:EDIT: Link removed. Article nothing exciting - so no text.
Thanks Pico for posting the pictures.

Pico
20-12-2012, 02:00 PM
http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/silverstone-feed-data/e1fbe7d4-aee5-4ac6-8def-bbf76d39a900.jpg

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/silverstone-feed-data/27cba6f4-971a-4583-9ef6-92ac3e439987.jpg

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/silverstone-feed-data/22c5d789-fbcc-4c07-a238-f194ec9d3bef.jpg

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/silverstone-feed-data/5e7ca825-15c0-4aee-8c3f-af04e7b0c719.jpg

Retro Jet
21-12-2012, 03:44 AM
http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/silverstone-feed-data/e1fbe7d4-aee5-4ac6-8def-bbf76d39a900.jpg

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/silverstone-feed-data/27cba6f4-971a-4583-9ef6-92ac3e439987.jpg

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/silverstone-feed-data/22c5d789-fbcc-4c07-a238-f194ec9d3bef.jpg

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/silverstone-feed-data/5e7ca825-15c0-4aee-8c3f-af04e7b0c719.jpg

Should do captions comp for all 4 pics....
Pic 1 "I once caught a fish THIS big!" or more likely..."This is how long MY schlong is..."

Muswellbrookian
21-12-2012, 03:51 AM
Should do captions comp for all 4 pics....
Pic 1 "I once caught a fish THIS big!" or more likely..."This is how long MY schlong is..."

You know, Retro, that second one is probably right: and it works for all four photos.

1. "Taylor, it's this big. Seriously."
- "F*ck off, Gary."

2. "You don't believe me?"
- "Nah. That's just not possible."

3. "Come on, didn't you see me windmilling back in the dressing sheds just before?"
- "Me? Of course I bloody didn't! I was out here training hard to try and convince you to play me on the weekend. Got better things to do than sit around and watch you flash your ego around the changeroom."

4. "It's alright, mate. Give it a few more years and yours will grow too."
(Taylor thinks: "Get f*cked.)

dink
21-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Gaz: "Do you want to stand on the left side of me or the right"
TR: "Umm... not sure which side do you want to stand on?"
Gaz: "Its your choice no pressure"
TR: "I'll stand on your right"
Gaz: "The right side, why didn't you stand on the left"
TR: "You said its my choice so I stood on the right"
Gaz: "Oh well you got it wrong you should have stood over there."
TR: "Geez Gaz I thought you said there was no pressure, I'm going over here now."
Gaz: "Aah Regan its OK, you made a bad choice, how about I turn around so you can now be on my left."

Or something really boring like that.
We read far to much into situations without really knowing the true story.
But this would be a very boring Forum if we actually did find out the truth.

MFKS
21-12-2012, 01:51 PM
1 TR >> Why wasn't I playing last weekend you said I would be first name on the teamsheet in the paper??
GVE >> You were I filled the Subs out first

2 TR >> What do you mean you filled the subs out first???
GVE >> I am a bit different to other Managers. Some may start at the top and work their way down the team sheet buit I do things MY way which is just plain well crazy

3 TR >> Like your batshit crazy ideas such as leaving Goody on the bench and picking a 17 year old kid in Perth when older heads were required and available and other such failed tactical masterstrokes??
GVE >> Yeah sort of like those ones but I have been working on one for this week that involves you Taylor and involving you in the action

4 GVE >> (Puts arm around Shoulder) Your getting dropped to Yoof this weekend as Sam Galloway and Mason Campbell are playing in the first team and we need someone to cover the giant holes Sammy and Mason will leave in the Yoof team
TR >> (Sobbing) You've got to be ****ing joking Gaz

Jeterpool
21-12-2012, 01:58 PM
"What's up gaffer?"
"Taylor, i've been thinking...you need to be more animated when you talk"

"Umm...what?"
"Your arms, you need to use them more"

"Uh, ok. Like this?"
"No Taylor, extend them, reach out like your trying to grasp something"

"What, like a dose of reality? Don't you have a team to coach?"
"Hey....look at me....Now that wasn't called for! Let's go over here and sit down so you can apologise. Don't worry about the team - Craig's looking after them."

dink
21-12-2012, 02:02 PM
One of the things that really annoys me about GVE is when a young player plays badly he gets dropped. Then they play well and still gets dropped. No reward for playing well. Then they see older players playing badly week in week out and not getting dropped. What must be going through their minds.

The Dunster
21-12-2012, 02:15 PM
GVE is a text book NPD case. Can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet.

boz-monaut
21-12-2012, 02:43 PM
we have, we just haven't been using 1st year psychology terms to do so

stopper2
21-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Seriously the whole coaching staff from GVE down to Pascoe in the Youth are a rabble.
I would like to see the cleaners put through the whole place at the end of this season and start fresh again with a whole new staff and attitude.
This club talks about providing a pathway for local talent, yet Pascoe brings in Westfield High boys (who have been rejected by the Smurfs and WSW) to boost his stocks at Hunter Sports with the incentive of playing for the U/18 Jets/Youth team. Great way to engage and connect with the local community!!!

21-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Next 3 games should define what future GVE has at the club in my opinion. An opportunity to look competitive this weekend and short of injuries or suspension a chance to stick with a squad not this extended squad crap and tinkering all the freek'n time.

If we don't look sharp and positive over the next few coming games i can sadly see our crowd numbers go south and more negative BS.

I agree stopper2 and this is why i was in the no GVE camp. New Manager with no past ties and a whole region to foster talent from.

militiamon
22-12-2012, 12:08 AM

:rof:

Muswellbrookian
22-12-2012, 03:53 AM
Unless he's been grossly misquoted (always a possibility with the general standard of journalism these days), there's evidence in yesterday's Herald of just how bad a man-manager Gary actually is. On Mitchell Oxborrow's debut:

‘‘I thought he found it a little bit too quick for him,’’ van Egmond said yesterday.

‘‘In saying that, it may be the difference between making Mitchell Oxborrow a footballer or Mitchell Oxborrow not a footballer, to experience that 45 minutes, for him to get an understanding of what it’s like at that level."

Now, I know the quote seems pretty extreme in isolation. Gary subsequently goes on to say some positive things about the kid, that he's keeping his head down, working hard in training, one for the future, etc. BUT: why the hell is he (publicly) talking about a 45-minute starting appearance that didn't exactly go to plan as a possible make-or-break moment in Oxborrow's career? Am I misreading what he's trying to say here, or does it seem to anyone else like he's being a complete twat and exaggerating the importance of something that really shouldn't mean much in the grand scheme of things? Seems like a ridiculous amount of pressure to put on him, particularly by saying something like that to the media.

Then again, Jesse Pinto's debut basically ended up being the breaking of him, didn't it? Maybe that's how things work in the GVE's world....

stopper2
22-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Unless he's been grossly misquoted (always a possibility with the general standard of journalism these days), there's evidence in yesterday's Herald of just how bad a man-manager Gary actually is. On Mitchell Oxborrow's debut:

Now, I know the quote seems pretty extreme in isolation. Gary subsequently goes on to say some positive things about the kid, that he's keeping his head down, working hard in training, one for the future, etc. BUT: why the hell is he (publicly) talking about a 45-minute starting appearance that didn't exactly go to plan as a possible make-or-break moment in Oxborrow's career? Am I misreading what he's trying to say here, or does it seem to anyone else like he's being a complete twat and exaggerating the importance of something that really shouldn't mean much in the grand scheme of things? Seems like a ridiculous amount of pressure to put on him, particularly by saying something like that to the media.

Then again, Jesse Pinto's debut basically ended up being the breaking of him, didn't it? Maybe that's how things work in the GVE's world....

I was thinking exactly the same thing mate.
That was a dumb and un-professional comment from GVE. The priority should be to win games, GVE seems to place too much emphasis in testing players out (in Oxborrow's case) or trying to manage their workload (in Goodwin's case).....just play the stongest XI available and let the result take care of itself FFS.

Imyourhero
22-12-2012, 10:49 AM
I was thinking exactly the same thing mate.
That was a dumb and un-professional comment from GVE. The priority should be to win games, GVE seems to place too much emphasis in testing players out (in Oxborrow's case) or trying to manage their workload (in Goodwin's case).....just play the stongest XI available and let the result take care of itself FFS.

Yes but GVE thinks he is the messiah of youth evolution.
Haven't seen him develop one quality youth player in his career.......

hauss
22-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Am I misreading what he's trying to say here

I think so. To me he is just saying that Oxborrow has seen that he has to step up to a whole new level if he's going to make the first team. So now he knows what to aim for, rather than thinking that his performances in the youth team are good enough for him to slot straight into the first team.

I'm not saying I agree with the comment, but that's how I read it.

stopper2
22-12-2012, 11:08 AM
I think so. To me he is just saying that Oxborrow has seen that he has to step up to a whole new level if he's going to make the first team. So now he knows what to aim for, rather than thinking that his performances in the youth team are good enough for him to slot straight into the first team.

I'm not saying I agree with the comment, but that's how I read it.
Whichever way you look at it, GVE's judgement in playing him turned out to be wrong for that game. At least Ange when he experimented with a young player recently, came out and admitted he got it wrong in the context of results for the team. GVE on the other hand puts on a spin in context about making or breaking the individual. Shows the difference in the mentality/philosphy of the two coaches.

22-12-2012, 01:19 PM
The diff between Ange and GVE is daylight. GVE would not get a start tying up Ange's boot laces FFS.

seldom
22-12-2012, 01:24 PM
why didnt oxborrow start on the bench and come on with 20 to go if gve wanted to give him a taste of the top level instead of starting him in a team who are presently struggling.If he had a blinder gve would of been hailing himself as the master coach who discovered a true talent instead blame the kid for not being up to the standard.I'm not totally convinced Gary is a terrible coach but he does seem to make some strange decisions and come out with unproffesional comments.

q-money
22-12-2012, 01:29 PM
the ox, the new pinto

The Dunster
22-12-2012, 03:01 PM

If only HSG knew.

GazFish35
22-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Hsg + gve = npd

Grimario
22-12-2012, 04:50 PM
I am more an NPV kind of guy. Reckon HSG's NPV is potentially SFA.

Grimario
22-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Gallaway starting.

GVE is deadset taking the piss.

seldom
22-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Gallaway starting.

GVE is deadset taking the piss.

no wait.....a masterstroke

Grimario
22-12-2012, 10:04 PM
no wait.....a masterstroke

Indeed. Gallaway was REALLY good. :gent:

WolfMan
22-12-2012, 10:34 PM
^^

Absolutely killed it. Long may it continue

MFKS
22-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Righto which of you ****s posting on here is the real Gary Van Egmond???

Stealing my masterstroke of an idea to bench Goody!!!

Yesterday I threw in some shit about Galloway starting and Regan playing Yoof and it comes true!!!

I suggest we play GVE's way not the shit we have been and for some reason today was the first time I seen anything resembling the slightest idea of a high pressure possession based game

Someone suggests we stop having the full backs push up so far for outlets when our defenders have possession and today it ****ing happens.

What else has the foz come up with that we have seen???

GVE must certainly be posting here or is reading the Foz and stealing tactical insights to escape any deficiencies in his armoury cause there far too many coincidences going on

So fess up who the **** are you???

SD has met the Member and can confirm I in real life look nothing like the Egg so don't accuse me

seldom
22-12-2012, 10:57 PM

militiamon
22-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Hey Gary,

If you are reading this then I want you to know that I reckon you're alright mate. Playing Gallaway tonight was a masterstroke, well done. Next week I propose that you start Jesic.

Thanks,
mm

PS I think I've spotted The Member leaning over the top of bay 1 at a few games. Waiting for official confirmation from hamma though.

boz-monaut
22-12-2012, 11:06 PM
I still don't like GVE

seldom
22-12-2012, 11:13 PM
I still don't like GVE

take that back...I think he proved today that he is a tactical genius and any team would be lucky to have him.Wouldn't be out of place coaching the socceroos...nutures our young and is a good man manager.
Hang on who were we talking about again ?

MFKS
22-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Hey Gary,

If you are reading this then I want you to know that I reckon you're alright mate. Playing Gallaway tonight was a masterstroke, well done. Next week I propose that you start Jesic.

Thanks,
mm

PS I think I've spotted The Member leaning over the top of bay 1 at a few games. Waiting for official confirmation from hamma though.

****ers made me sit down today. Apparently it is dangerous to stand in the top tier??

My reply was for who?? Me falling over the rail or the ****s below when my fat arse lands on them

What was even worse is the game hadn't even ****ing started and was getting chatted for standing. Wasn't anyone behind us either. Chick obviously hasn't seen some of the other goings on up on the rail at other games otherwise she would be tying me down with Occy Straps

Captain Obvious
22-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Righto which of you ****s posting on here is the real Gary Van Egmond???

GVE must certainly be posting here or is reading the Foz and stealing tactical insights to escape any deficiencies in his armoury cause there far too many coincidences going on

So fess up who the **** are you???

Thank you all for your kind words.

And a big hello to you too MFKS.

seldom
22-12-2012, 11:55 PM
well I'll be fvcked I would of thought GVE was Captain Oblivious

westjet
23-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Gary to make another 5 changes next week because people played too well/did their jobs. Expecting goodwin, virgili, heskey, zad and bira to be the 5 (although will prob be ritter and chapman as we cant have the same 2 centre backs 2 weeks in a row)

Grimario
23-12-2012, 12:36 AM
Someone suggests we stop having the full backs push up so far for outlets when our defenders have possession and today it ****ing happens.
:cool:

la bazzle
23-12-2012, 01:58 AM
Gallaway was awful. Didn't like his hair cut one bit. Massive homo boots as well

Portillo
23-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Goodwin should forget about being a defender and be switched permanently to an attacking role like a winger.

stopper2
23-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Gary to make another 5 changes next week because people played too well/did their jobs. Expecting goodwin, virgili, heskey, zad and bira to be the 5 (although will prob be ritter and chapman as we cant have the same 2 centre backs 2 weeks in a row)
I'm not a betting man but I would be willing to bet with anyone that either Ritter or Chapman will not play next week.

plague
23-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Massive homo boots as well

Not enough outrage has been made of this. Dead set goose boots. A disc-race to defenders everywhere.
Deans should be fired for this alone.

Captain Obvious
23-12-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm not a betting man but I would be willing to bet with anyone

That would probably make you a betting man.

23-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Anyone not retained in the starting line ( exception of Gallaway , poor taste in boots ) should punch GVE in the nose and ask why later.

parksey
23-12-2012, 03:02 PM
gallaway motm

la bazzle
23-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Worst boots in the league.

stopper2
02-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Just some food for thought.....
Mariners: Rogic/McGlichey
Adelaide: Vidosic/Ferreira
Sydney: ADP
Victory: Flores/Finkler
Roar: Nicholls/Broich
Phoenix: Ifill
Heart: Fred
Wanderers: Ono
Perth: Miller

Jets:?????

MFKS
02-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Just some food for thought.....
Mariners: Rogic/McGlichey
Adelaide: Vidosic/Ferreira
Sydney: ADP
Victory: Flores/Finkler
Roar: Nicholls/Broich
Phoenix: Ifill
Heart: Fred
Wanderers: Ono
Perth: Miller

Jets:?????

Not being sarcastic here but what point are you trying to make???

That we don't have the classy player in the centre of midfield we need to play the way we are trying to go down???

pv4
02-01-2013, 02:38 PM
i initially thought he was pointing out good midfielders with visas, but then noticed nichols & vidosic was there.

is it #10s the other teams have that you're trying to point out?

Grimario
02-01-2013, 02:40 PM
That we don't have the classy player in the centre of midfield we need to play the way we are trying to go down???

What gives you the impression that we need a classy central midfielder to play the way GVE wants us to play? We should just get the 3 best holding midfielders we can get, play a back 7 and have our holding midfielders sit back when the fullbacks tuck up in the attacking third. At least that way we might not get destroyed on the counter down either flank every single week.

GVE is a complete pretender, all talk.

stopper2
02-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Not being sarcastic here but what point are you trying to make???

Every other team has at least one or two players in the middle or just behind their striker/s with the creative nous to make things happen for their side.
Who have we got?

MFKS
02-01-2013, 02:46 PM
What gives you the impression that we need a classy central midfielder to play the way GVE wants us to play? We should just get the 3 best holding midfielders we can get, play a back 7 and have our holding midfielders sit back when the fullbacks tuck up in the attacking third. At least that way we might not get destroyed on the counter down either flank every single week.

GVE is a complete pretender, all talk.

I thought most of the time we got destroyed on the counter was down to us coughing the ball up cheaply and getting countered with our fullbacks up the park providing an option in attack.

ie Gol Gol's goal Archies goal etc Yau the game before.

A litany of us coughing up the ball cheaply and getting hammered on the counter.

Maybe the classy No 10 hanging on to the ball and dicatating play may stop us being on the attack one minute and then the next having Heskey and Griff kicking off again. Also may result in our attack playing better with more options.

Grimario
02-01-2013, 02:50 PM
I thought most of the time we got destroyed on the counter was down to us coughing the ball up cheaply and getting countered with our fullbacks up the park providing an option in attack.

ie Gol Gol's goal Archies goal etc Yau the game before.

A litany of us coughing up the ball cheaply and getting hammered on the counter.

Maybe the classy No 10 hanging on to the ball and dicatating play may stop us being on the attack one minute and then the next having Heskey and Griff kicking off again. Also may result in our attack playing better with more options.

But that's my point entirely... our cheap turnovers are almost always directly from the back or when we fail to get the knock down after a long hoof upfield. We don't utilise a classy #10. If we did, Ribeiro might have had more than a few hours of game time... but he certainly isn't big enough, fast enough or physical enough to fit into the GvE Triple H (Hoof to Heskey & Hope) gameplan.

MFKS
02-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Every other team has at least one or two players in the middle or just behind their striker/s with the creative nous to make things happen for their side.
Who have we got?

Marko Jesic and Kantarovski and Jobe!!!

You make a great point that I am hearing.

I always thought we need the big money player in midfield as opposed to Heskey. Others disagreed with me and thought it was better to get the man who scores goals.

Would love to see us make a play and seeing as we ain't bringing Griff home bring back Nicky Carle. Smurfs surely can't afford him with their squad so we should do the right thing and resign him from the Gulf League he is towelling it up in

Imyourhero
02-01-2013, 03:07 PM
I would just like to bring up a tactical question, i understand GVE wants to play a "high pressing, passing game" with build up starting at the back. Over the last few games i have really paid attention to particular movements by players and have noticed one area in particular that seems to be causing us issues.

As soon as our CB's get the ball the 2 fullbacks go flying up the wing away from the CB's, unfortunetly other coaches understand what we are doing and shut down Zad/other fellow screener, this leaves the CB's with 2 options...boot the shit out of it down to Heskey..or try to make a very dangerous pass to zad etc, i have seen this happen countless times, the pass gets intercepted or the lob gets headed straight back and the opposition hit us on the counter with only our CB's and screeners back to defend with our fullbacks chasing back like madmen as they were in no mans land.

What i don't understand is that when GVE can see this happening over and over why not make a tactical change and have the fullbacks play a little bit more traditional, stay reasonably squared off to the CB's when in possession, receive a simple pass and play down the line, relieving pressure from Zad etc enabling them to find space in the middle to retrieve and play on etc, the fullbacks can then still choose the correct time to overlap the wide guy etc using a little thing called their brain (which you think they'd have after years of getting professional coaching and being seen good enough to play in the A league)

GVE seems unable to identify and have the ability to change tactics when things aren't working.

Beeen
02-01-2013, 03:11 PM
^^ well said

WolfMan
02-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Agreed, good point. I will say that a few of us have been pointing this out from the start of the season, so it's nothing new.

The fact that little, if anything has changed after 14 matches should temper any expectations we all have of this awful tactic changing anytime soon

Grimario
02-01-2013, 03:41 PM
I would just like to bring up a tactical question, i understand GVE wants to play a "high pressing, passing game" with build up starting at the back. Over the last few games i have really paid attention to particular movements by players and have noticed one area in particular that seems to be causing us issues.

I think what GVE "wants to play" needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

As soon as our CB's get the ball the 2 fullbacks go flying up the wing away from the CB's, unfortunetly other coaches understand what we are doing and shut down Zad/other fellow screener, this leaves the CB's with 2 options...boot the shit out of it down to Heskey..or try to make a very dangerous pass to zad etc, i have seen this happen countless times, the pass gets intercepted or the lob gets headed straight back and the opposition hit us on the counter with only our CB's and screeners back to defend with our fullbacks chasing back like madmen as they were in no mans land.

Yep, myself and WolfMan (and a few others whose names escape me) have been saying the same thing for around 12 weeks. If you ignore the fact that GVE "wants to play" a certain way, you start to think that the fullbacks aren't actually a bunch of useless twats (except Gallaway, of course), are actually following the instructions they have been given to make that 2/3 on 1 situation as our sole tactic and our manager is a useless twat.

What i don't understand is that when GVE can see this happening over and over why not make a tactical change and have the fullbacks play a little bit more traditional, stay reasonably squared off to the CB's when in possession, receive a simple pass and play down the line, relieving pressure from Zad etc enabling them to find space in the middle to retrieve and play on etc, the fullbacks can then still choose the correct time to overlap the wide guy etc using a little thing called their brain (which you think they'd have after years of getting professional coaching and being seen good enough to play in the A league)

That would be a pretty obvious move... which, as you point out, makes it worrying that GVE hasn't thought of it. And that's actually a lie! The opening 30 minutes against Sydney, our fullbacks played deeper and it was one of two chunks of play this season that we haven't been absolutely horrendous. Somehow he thought it was a good idea to change it back entirely, fullbacks tucked in next to Goodwin and Virgili and we nearly fvcking lost to Sydney.

In conclusion, GVE Out.

Retro Jet
02-01-2013, 10:58 PM
can we pull a gve, and just as everyone thinks that this thread is going to continue down the expected path, we turn it into a spiderman thread?

genius

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h37/guyisasexybeast/ilikewherethisisgoing_zpsd6cc3998.jpg

Best thread Dorothy Dixer ever, you two.... :grin:

GazFish35
02-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Imyourhero = Kasey Wherman

Imyourhero
03-01-2013, 12:01 AM
Are you implying that i am in fact Kasey Wherman....or that KW is YOUR hero? haha

GazFish35
03-01-2013, 01:13 AM
The first!

I assume GVE still has you running laps for pointing out his inabilities.

;)

03-01-2013, 01:42 AM
If everybody who pointed out GVE had inabilities half of Newcastle would be doing laps.

hawk
06-01-2013, 12:32 PM
How Taylor Regan has been shunted for most of the season for Mitchell and to a lesser extent Tiago is beyond belief.

explain van-eggroll!

militiamon
13-01-2013, 12:45 AM
Heskey is a class act that was brought in to strengthen the side, which he has done. the system is still able to be utilized with him in the squad, but gve is going about it completely the wrong way. Heskey does not need to be dropped, that suggestion is one of the worst I've heard this season.

sup pv4.

Heskey out through injury for 1.5 games, kids brought in, and like Newyrover pointed out last week, we have played much better. No more long balls, much more short passes and interchange between the attack and midfield.

No doubt Heskey is a quality player, surely one of the best if not the best forwards in the league, but the question has to be asked how much he is helping or hindering or game. There's no easy answer to it at this point though.

pv4
13-01-2013, 12:49 AM
if you didn't see long balls tonight then I applaud you for putting your entire effort into creating active support atmosphere rather than watch the game. we played heaps of long ball. and we spent the majority of the game camped in a 20m long stretch of compressed field, and leeched off Brisbanes mistakes more than actually playing the ball.

Tommyjet
13-01-2013, 01:01 AM
if you didn't see long balls tonight then I applaud you for putting your entire effort into creating active support atmosphere rather than watch the game. we played heaps of long ball. and we spent the majority of the game camped in a 20m long stretch of compressed field, and leeched off Brisbanes mistakes more than actually playing the ball.

Of your comments I've read tonight the only bit of truth was the bit about bridgy being a waste of space, if you think we played a lot of long ball tonight your watching a different game. There was no where near as much as of a few weeks ago and Brisbane tonight played the most hit and hope long balls I've seen since the glory days of Stewart Petrie and co at the mariners.

militiamon
13-01-2013, 01:08 AM
So all that pressing in the first half that lead to 1000 chances, that didn't occur? All the build-up work between Gallaway, Goodwin, Griff, Brown, I just imagined that? Come on, even your Roar mates agree with this. I can see where this is headed though, no matter what the result or the performance, you will always be able to find negatives due to your personal dislike of Gary.

And fxxk all da haterz who have heaped shit on our squad of young players. Gallaway, Chapman, Reegz, Hoole, get some.

Yes I do realise this is an extremely opportunistic post made after our first win in 4 matches, and that Brisbane were very sloppy tonight, but pointing out and admitting these things would be far too rational for this thread.

Beeen
13-01-2013, 01:36 AM
GVE out

Tommyjet
13-01-2013, 02:28 AM
So all that pressing in the first half that lead to 1000 chances, that didn't occur? All the build-up work between Gallaway, Goodwin, Griff, Brown, I just imagined that? Come on, even your Roar mates agree with this. I can see where this is headed though, no matter what the result or the performance, you will always be able to find negatives due to your personal dislike of Gary.

And fxxk all da haterz who have heaped shit on our squad of young players. Gallaway, Chapman, Reegz, Hoole, get some.

Yes I do realise this is an extremely opportunistic post made after our first win in 4 matches, and that Brisbane were very sloppy tonight, but pointing out and admitting these things would be far too rational for this thread.

Good post and no you didn't miss it others are just haters

Buddha
13-01-2013, 02:42 AM
Who would you rather? GVE or Paul lambert?

Beeen
13-01-2013, 02:50 AM
lambert every single time

Buddha
13-01-2013, 03:52 AM
At this present time, you can take the Scottish prat

seldom
13-01-2013, 12:20 PM
leaving now...local bandwagon...all aboard !

MFKS
13-01-2013, 04:53 PM

Right Pv4 about the first 20 mins of hoof ball from us. We were poor. As soon as they realised Heskey wasn;t up front they started to try and pass the ball.

Long ball shit has to stop with or without Heskey

Raw Boned Youngster
13-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Why is it assumed that we have to play long balls if Heskey plays? The guy is clever with the ball at his feet, he's an intelligent player and he is more than capable of playing short balls in tight areas. WTF? Again, what sort of an assumption does Eggsy make with Heskey? the biggest worry about playingHeskey is that it plays with Gaz's insecurities and paranoia about having a senior and experienced player in the team who may question his 'vision'.

WolfMan
13-01-2013, 10:21 PM
Why is it assumed that we have to play long balls if Heskey plays? The guy is clever with the ball at his feet, he's an intelligent player and he is more than capable of playing short balls in tight areas. WTF? Again, what sort of an assumption does Eggsy make with Heskey? the biggest worry about playingHeskey is that it plays with Gaz's insecurities and paranoia about having a senior and experienced player in the team who may question his 'vision'.

QFT

Same as when Peter Crouch is in any team. Players automatically lump it to his bonce. Stupidity

GazFish35
13-01-2013, 11:22 PM
But can heskey do the robot?
http://gifsoup.com/download.php?id=1295954&d=animatedgifs1&n=peter-crouch-robot-dance&s=o

14-01-2013, 12:33 AM
Nah but i bet he can do the massive heskey's testies

Jeterpool
14-01-2013, 09:02 AM
But can heskey do the robot?
http://gifsoup.com/download.php?id=1295954&d=animatedgifs1&n=peter-crouch-robot-dance&s=o

That dance got Crouchie his missus!

cobra23
15-01-2013, 10:40 AM
That dance got Crouchie his missus!

And also his long skinny schlong

My2BobsWorth
15-01-2013, 11:42 AM
There seems to be 2 types of users on the forum, those who can see long balls and those who can,t. I saw plenty on satdy especially the first half into a raging headwind which made it even more stupid. Hat of to Virgil who continually had to take balls 6 foot off the ground right on the sideline and controlled just about all of them. Unbiased assessment by Zrilla on TWG, "What is it with Newcastle and the long ball, and Esky wasn,t even playing, they have to rectify that". Nuff said.

The Dunster
15-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Jets 1 Roar 0.

Thats the only analysis that matters.

Captain Obvious
15-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Jets 1 Roar 0.

Thats the only analysis that matters.

You stealing my act pal?

Jeterpool
15-01-2013, 01:10 PM
:hijack:

This topic seems to have strayed

adamm237
15-01-2013, 01:24 PM
:hijack:

This topic seems to have strayed
Back on topic

Gary Out!!!

15-01-2013, 02:02 PM
^ Certainly

Football is us
17-01-2013, 01:47 AM

The question of Van God's insecurity with a players such as Heskey and Bridges has to be asked. They have more football experience individually than our illustrious team tinkler could ever hope to have. He has assembled a squad of talented young players, but they need good leadership on the park which will come from Heskey and Bridges. Van God's riding instructions to Bridges last week took almost as long as his short stint on the park.

Bridges did not perform as well in his short time against the roar, but what can you expect when the man's game time is so low. It shows the character of Bridges that he hasn't had a dummy spit at his over rated, but under performing ill tempered manager.

Buddha
17-01-2013, 03:15 AM
The question of Van God's insecurity with a players such as Heskey and Bridges has to be asked. They have more football experience individually than our illustrious team tinkler could ever hope to have. He has assembled a squad of talented young players, but they need good leadership on the park which will come from Heskey and Bridges. Van God's riding instructions to Bridges last week took almost as long as his short stint on the park.

Bridges did not perform as well in his short time against the roar, but what can you expect when the man's game time is so low. It shows the character of Bridges that he hasn't had a dummy spit at his over rated, but under performing ill tempered manager.
I'd like to think his twitter rant was pretty damn close to a dummy spit and some would argue it was

Football is us
17-01-2013, 12:05 PM
I'd like to think his twitter rant was pretty damn close to a dummy spit and some would argue it was

I hadn't seen the twitter rant, but had heard he had something to say. If it was a dummy spit, I can't say blame him.

seldom
17-01-2013, 01:00 PM
why would he spit the dummy,gettin paid to do fvck all...not as if he could leave and get picked up elsewhere

sh10
17-01-2013, 01:07 PM
link to dummy spit plz

Grunta
17-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Unlees there has been anything else I've missed Bridges last "rant" was along the lines that he was gutted he didn't get picked to play in Melbourne and that he was going to take his frustrations out on a golf ball.

He must have been going off to use the word gutted.

As for other comments about his actions as a fulltime professional footballer I would imagine he would have the shits being sat on the bench and not getting any real time on the park while allowing for the Bridge haters to have easy shots at the bloke.

selassie
17-01-2013, 03:08 PM
bridges is not that good, why would you pick him?

My2BobsWorth
17-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Rugby player are you?

namwob99
17-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Rugby player are you?
I play football, and I don't rate him either.

Tommyjet
17-01-2013, 04:55 PM

Me too

My2BobsWorth
17-01-2013, 04:57 PM

There are a few on here that don't rate him, but we tend to treat them with pity.

namwob99
17-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Lol righto mate. You make sure ya give him a big cheer next time he comes on.

My2BobsWorth
17-01-2013, 05:14 PM
This thread has been off track more times than Bert walking home from bowls on a Satdy arvo.

17-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Back on track.

Pubic haired head out.

Porett
17-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Paul Okon for next manager.

Buddha
17-01-2013, 06:47 PM
I vote slobs

Can we get a poll for this?

Not enough slobs option here

17-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Poll please.

howardyou
17-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Have it on pretty good authority that Middleby is quite aware of the issues with GVEs man management and favoritism of certain players.

Have you noticed Goodwin and Virgilli are suddenly starting together. A chat may or may not have taken place.

17-01-2013, 08:59 PM
I do hope you are right howardyou. I was only thinking this after last weeks game that something may have given.

I sort of got the same feeling after the country round last season GVE might have been told on the quite to make do with what he had and stop trying to do what he did not have the players for. After that round we went back to basics of sort and got a roll on til those stupid selections against the smurfs in the final round.

sammydog
17-01-2013, 09:28 PM

This with Bridges as assistant or youth.

stopper2
17-01-2013, 09:39 PM
I'd rather Milicic if we were to go down that path

sh10
18-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Have it on pretty good authority that Middleby is quite aware of the issues with GVEs man management and favoritism of certain players.

Have you noticed Goodwin and Virgilli are suddenly starting together. A chat may or may not have taken place.

They have been starting together for about 6-8 games and we've only won 1 or 2 - I think that dispells the myth that these guys must start together. Virgili's form hasn't been good

Raw Boned Youngster
18-01-2013, 02:57 PM
I think most teams have worked out that Virgilli is extremely predictable - he seems to still have the hschoolboy mentality to his game.

NewcastleForLife
18-01-2013, 04:09 PM
I think most teams have worked out that Virgilli is extremely predictable - he seems to still have the hschoolboy mentality to his game.

This. I'm actually in favour of him starting on the bench and having Ryu out on the wing to start with. Then when Virgili comes on the opposition are too tired to do anything regardless of how predictable he is.

MFKS
18-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Rather amusing this weeks Anti GVE ramblings.

Who would have thought we won last weekend!!!

Wonder what the haters will have to say if we turn up and beat Gypos tomorrow???

Buddha
18-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Rather amusing this weeks Anti GVE ramblings.

Who would have thought we won last weekend!!!

Wonder what the haters will have to say if we turn up and beat Gypos tomorrow???
Lucky for the haters that won't happen

belchardo
19-01-2013, 11:05 PM
credit where it's due, got it right this week. well done.

seldom
20-01-2013, 12:14 AM
Jeez this thread...when we lose scalp him...when we win gob him...lol

selassie
20-01-2013, 03:44 PM
good to see dutchy play for the draw when heskey went off.

loved all the groans and boos when we were keeping possession at the back in the 90th min. music to my ears.

mervan
20-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Why do we wait until the 80th minute to use our our second sub. If GVE was going there to play for a draw then I needn't have bothered driving down.

hawk
20-01-2013, 09:56 PM
did the 442 get a clean sheet again? damn!

Imyourhero
20-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Fox sports posted 433 pre game?

pv4
21-01-2013, 07:14 AM
we've been playing 4-4-2 the last few weeks

sign me up, hey

Thomas477
21-01-2013, 06:11 PM
we've been playing 4-4-2 the last few weeks

sign me up, hey

442 while in defence and 433 (4231) in offence.

prawnhead
21-01-2013, 10:40 PM
442 while in defence and 433 (4231) in offence.

Another football genius.

Thomas477
21-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Another football genius.

Well my recent recent seasons in FM2012 would agree with you :gent:

mervan
27-01-2013, 07:35 PM
He played for a draw against the team coming last, what the

WolfMan
27-01-2013, 08:11 PM
He played for a draw against the team coming last, what the

Where we haven't come back with at least a point since September 9th, 2007....

I will gladly take the point, cheers

Grimario
27-01-2013, 08:17 PM
Come off it. They conceded SEVEN against the shight (rhymes with might) of Sydney last week... and we went there to not lose.

militiamon
27-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Where we haven't come back with at least a point since September 9th, 2007....

I will gladly take the point, cheers

Agreed.

Tommyjet
27-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Yeah happy considering the send off and our record there, created enough chances tho

My2BobsWorth
27-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Sydney flogged them 7-1, are we playing for the wooden spoon?

Zico
27-01-2013, 09:18 PM
I'll just say how I feel "**** OFF GVE" he is playing players who are not up to it yet he keeps decent players in the Youth League.

militiamon
27-01-2013, 09:22 PM
^ Such as?

If the answer is Jesic then I fully agree.

Zico
27-01-2013, 09:30 PM
^ Such as?

If the answer is Jesic then I fully agree.

No not Jesic lol What about Bernado and Tagget to start with? Tagget just played for the socceroos for **** sake but he can't get a start in a side that are lacking goals?

WolfMan
27-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Come off it. They conceded SEVEN against the shight (rhymes with might) of Sydney last week... and we went there to not lose.

By that logic, and taking into account Sydney getting flogged 7-2 by the Scum earlier this season, Central Coast should beat Wellington by no less than 14-3, yes?

Take each game one at a time. Form means almost nothing in this competition, always has.

And I don't think he played for a draw from the start, but being both a goal and a man down, I dare say any manager would have bitten your hand off for a point at that moment in time.

mervan
27-01-2013, 10:32 PM
He played for a draw last week and again this week because he is protecting his job.

He had a chance in the last 15 when it went 10 on 10, but didn't have the balls. Not newy

OUT

27-01-2013, 10:45 PM
If memory serves me correctly did he not take the same shitty approach against the roar up there when we had the extra man.

Of course he is protecting his job, he is proving to be a real one hit wonder. Everything he touches outside of our winning season both here and in Canberra turned to shit.

Thomas477
27-01-2013, 10:46 PM
No not Jesic lol What about Bernado and Tagget to start with? Tagget just played for the socceroos for **** sake but he can't get a start in a side that are lacking goals?

Alright, agree with Ribz to replace Brown, but where does Taggart go? Replace Goodwin, who moves to LB? Then where do you put Ritter when he's back? Replace Regz? But he's been playing well. Etc.

27-01-2013, 10:49 PM
^ Regs might be playing well but after the arm waving toward the end of the game after the sub mix up what chance Taylor gets the " sent to coventry " treatment from the mini bus.

Blackmac79
27-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Go watch Italian football whingers.

6 points from 4 matches.

Buddha
27-01-2013, 10:54 PM

teams who get flogged one week, usually come out the next week and do pretty well, from my history in all leagues, i remember 2010/11 PL Season, Wigan got smashed by Chelsea 6-0 i think, then beat Tottenham at WHL the next week, thats football.

WolfMan
27-01-2013, 11:13 PM
Go watch Italian football whingers.

6 points from 4 matches.

I can't tell which way you are intending this to be taken... too defensive, or are you happy with the 6 points/4 matches?

Thomas477
27-01-2013, 11:16 PM
^ Regs might be playing well but after the arm waving toward the end of the game after the sub mix up what chance Taylor gets the " sent to coventry " treatment from the mini bus.

Tbh I think that was more confusion between the Physio, GvE, Deans and Regz. As I said elsewhere, the physio will cop it. Maybe they need to borrow Arnies two-way?

militiamon
27-01-2013, 11:19 PM
Physio is a ledge though, others will confirm this.

Imyourhero
28-01-2013, 01:26 AM
Gve out!

Football is us
29-01-2013, 02:04 AM
The way I saw it, and correct me if I'm wrong, they were preparing a sub before Regan was injured (cramp apparently?). If the fourth official was showing a player on his sign that Van God had not intended, then he would have had one of the few genuine reasons to complain to the fourth official, and have it corrected. Doesn't excuse Regans reaction other than to express surprise though. As someone mentioned in another thread, 'its amazing that the players put up with this goose'. Send him back to the AIS where he might do less damage to football.

goaliepersempre
31-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Seriously beyond a joke... GTFO..... ergh and take deans with you.

boz-monaut
31-01-2013, 04:59 PM
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/571/burnitdown.jpg

Thomas477
31-01-2013, 07:56 PM
^ Good song.

Raw Boned Youngster
31-01-2013, 10:25 PM
Eggsy looks a bit evil in that snap.

pv4
04-02-2013, 04:11 PM
so it's quite clear that hsg have thrown their full backing behind gve, and seem like they will continue to do so because they believe in his vision.

my question for the gve lovers out there - at the end of this season it will be basically two full years that gve has been in charge. assuming we don't see gve's system come to fruition, we continue to hover outside the top 2 & even outside the top 6 (top 6 ffs) for the next yay many years, continue to not win in wellington/perth, continue to be outshone by the mariners, continue to have such disparity in backing of him because of his non-results, etc - how many years does he get to continue this form, until you no longer back him? if next season is completely the same, will you lose faith? will it take you three more years (so 5 total) before you can write him off as a dynasty-creator & realise he was a failure?

my train of thought - he came into last season and basically labelled it a write-off, and anything that happened in that season he was not letting himself be held accountable for. he had (seemingly) full control of his transfers this offseason (and this january, plus last january), had a full preseason as well as the whole written off year to get his squad together, and had arguably some of the best resources available to create & work on his squad (which he has done). for this current season, i was never accepting anything less than top 2 (these standards i had set when he came in last season). from the entire preseason i was never under any illusion that he would actually get top two, because it never seemed like he was going to reach that level, but that was my expectations from the moment he was arrogant enough to label last years squad shit. not only has he failed to reach that expectation, but he seemingly hasn't even improved on (and to most people has noticeably reverted back from the progress from last season) his system - which is the one defining thing he was bringing to the club. we aren't playing attractive football (imo), we're failing majorly on the table, and a lot of fans and (now, and maybe in future) players are being moved on under his reign.

when is enough, enough? how has ange been so successful with brisbane and victory in shorter timespans, how has poppa made a startup club & been so successful, and we're stuck & seemingly happy with gve - who, given his own squad (09-10) has failed previously?

when do we bring pappas, or some other coach that is chosen from merit, in to have a serious go at this dynasty thing?

will we be leaving it too late, and hsg will hire kosmina & we'll become the next adelaide, just worrying about results as we go?

Pico
04-02-2013, 06:10 PM
It'll take 6-8 weeks..........

But seriously its not his squad yet can't be held responsible.

Can't forget we had our strength and conditioning coach poached clearly that derailed our season this has just been a season of fitness work for next year.

GVE needs at least 5yrs to shape "His" squad and teach all these average players how to play his "system", its not the coach its these useless players clearly.

Also don't forget the turmoil at the start of the year with tinks handing back the license, clearly GVE needs time to rebuild after that cost us all his magnificent signings, so its at least another 5 seasons till we are comfortably in the top 6, around 5th maybe 4th even, provided ange does take up a national team spot and victory implode.

http://disinfo.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/science-sarcasm-Professor-Frink-Comic-Book-Guy-631.jpg

militiamon
04-02-2013, 07:27 PM
my question for the gve lovers out there

yo, waddup

how many years does he get to continue this form, until you no longer back him?

Probably one more if we maintain our current position.

if next season is completely the same, will you lose faith?

Yep, as you would with any manager.

my train of thought - he came into last season and basically labelled it a write-off, and anything that happened in that season he was not letting himself be held accountable for. he had (seemingly) full control of his transfers this offseason (and this january, plus last january), had a full preseason as well as the whole written off year to get his squad together, and had arguably some of the best resources available to create & work on his squad (which he has done).

Definitely arguable. I don't know HSG's exact financial situation, but it was hardly a blank cheque situation. Putting it simply, Victory, SFC & Brisbane all had a stronger footing imo.

for this current season, i was never accepting anything less than top 2 (these standards i had set when he came in last season)

lol, k.

parksey
04-02-2013, 10:32 PM
I think I might be swaying towards he gve out side again

Football is us
05-02-2013, 01:05 AM
We need to improve says our illustrious manager.

When is Van God, EGG HEAD, GVE or whatever you care to call him ever going to realise or call for his own improvement? Its always down to someone else .... for example, this week 'poor decisions when many other options are available to play it out from the back' ...... he's used 'poor decisions' a number of times before. I understand that means that he's blaming the players for decisions during the course of the game, and players of his own choosing. What about the poor decisions he makes before the game?

Has he learnt anything from decisions he has made, or have his academic football qualifications not covered that aspect in the curriculum? Or was he away that day?

I'm not having a shot at the players by the way, as individually, they are highly talented, it's the way the gaffer blames any one else

Raw Boned Youngster
05-02-2013, 07:57 AM
you mean Egg Van? He has sustained his career by blaming others and hiding behind excuses. This is why he can't get his squad to perform - they don't trust him. Poppa, Ange and Arnie are strong personalities who their players trust. the Egg Van is seen differently by his players and, as a result, the team looks nervous and shallow, regardless of whatever spin is peddled out. In terms of tactics, structure, cohesiveness, or whatever words are used to describe the teams 'look', Egg Van's teams are abysmal and they always have been. His apparent insecurities also cause him to chop down personalities or knowledgeable types who he thinks might threaten his myopic 'vision'. This further erodes the trust and core of the squad - essential ingredients in any successful team. I have never bought this myth of a coach and I can't wait to hear what the players really think when he has gone. Completely out of his depth. All IMO of course.

05-02-2013, 09:21 AM
^ This in a nutshell.

Jeterpool
05-02-2013, 09:59 AM
^^ Agreed

vikingjet
05-02-2013, 11:42 AM
You sign a bunch of juvenile athletes and you lose personality. The whole thing bores me to tears. How funny were Tarek's crosses; you can't create that kind of magic.

A return to the gold would help too. Bring back Con.

Love,

VJ

MFKS
05-02-2013, 01:41 PM
so it's quite clear that hsg have thrown their full backing behind gve, and seem like they will continue to do so because they believe in his vision.

my question for the gve lovers out there - at the end of this season it will be basically two full years that gve has been in charge. assuming we don't see gve's system come to fruition, we continue to hover outside the top 2 & even outside the top 6 (top 6 ffs) for the next yay many years, continue to not win in wellington/perth, continue to be outshone by the mariners, continue to have such disparity in backing of him because of his non-results, etc - how many years does he get to continue this form, until you no longer back him? if next season is completely the same, will you lose faith? will it take you three more years (so 5 total) before you can write him off as a dynasty-creator & realise he was a failure?

my train of thought - he came into last season and basically labelled it a write-off, and anything that happened in that season he was not letting himself be held accountable for. he had (seemingly) full control of his transfers this offseason (and this january, plus last january), had a full preseason as well as the whole written off year to get his squad together, and had arguably some of the best resources available to create & work on his squad (which he has done). for this current season, i was never accepting anything less than top 2 (these standards i had set when he came in last season). from the entire preseason i was never under any illusion that he would actually get top two, because it never seemed like he was going to reach that level, but that was my expectations from the moment he was arrogant enough to label last years squad shit. not only has he failed to reach that expectation, but he seemingly hasn't even improved on (and to most people has noticeably reverted back from the progress from last season) his system - which is the one defining thing he was bringing to the club. we aren't playing attractive football (imo), we're failing majorly on the table, and a lot of fans and (now, and maybe in future) players are being moved on under his reign.

when is enough, enough? how has ange been so successful with brisbane and victory in shorter timespans, how has poppa made a startup club & been so successful, and we're stuck & seemingly happy with gve - who, given his own squad (09-10) has failed previously?

when do we bring pappas, or some other coach that is chosen from merit, in to have a serious go at this dynasty thing?

will we be leaving it too late, and hsg will hire kosmina & we'll become the next adelaide, just worrying about results as we go?

Firstly I will put down my thoughts on a few things . I wasn't happy with GVE's appointment. Due to the past baggage of him being a recent manager of the club people will always have an axe to grind with this bloke. That's why we have so many already pre existing haters of GVE who are starting conspiracy theories rumour and innuendo about the club that are destabilising the club. Due to this GVE is on a hiding to nothing any time we don't win don't sign a player etc. The amount or shit coming out of peoples mouths when we lose draw is a ****ing disgrace as is the destabilising rumours being spread by people speculating on shit they have NFI about

For a start PV4 GVE been here 15 months this time around. We are currently in 5th spot. An improvement in the recent seasons from our 7th place finishes under Bwanko/Egg. Obviously the season isn't finished and we could implode but the reality is this squad will be better for the experience next season. If we are able to finish 5th or 6th GVE by putting a pile of inexperienced young kids out there will have managed to achieve what Branko couldn't with the likes of Jobe Abbas Takka Topor Labi etc.

As for comparing GVE to Ange well ridiculous comparison.

Ange signed players to turn Victree into Championship contenders this season Milligan Finkler Coe Traore etc. GVE signed ****ing kids with a distinct longer term vision. When Ange was at Roar he also signed the older player in Broich Solozarno Berisha Smith Theoklitos etc

As for your expectation of top 2 well that is your expectations you have put on GVE. Why a ridiculously high pass mark when what is happening at the club wouldn't indicate title run?? You say that is your expectation due to GVE's perceived arrogance that last years squad wasn't good enough. Maybe you are also showing a level of arrogance here expecting an unrealistic level from the team just so you can take it out on GVE all the built up angst over what happened in 2009??

We signed a bunch of kids and are going long term. Suck it up and enjoy the journey. Rome wasn't built in a day!!

As for when do you stop backing the bloke?? Well I am a big believer in stability. SAF at MAn Utd has it Wayne Bennett at Broncoes had it Sheedy at Essendon had it and they delivered titles. Why go the short term shit constantly chopping and changing your manager?? The bloke has been here 15 months this time round and the knives are already out and poised?? WHY??? Getting rid of him will achieve what?? You mention something about the Gypos and could their period of success have anything to do with stability on the coaching playing and ownership levels?? Hell they don't want their coach sacked every couple of weeks don't have owners doing some of the crazy shit Tinks and Con have and have a solid core of players who are constantly added to with out destabalising the squad.

Also PV4 this team we see every week on the park show a degree of fight and pride in the shirt. Many times we have fought back from behind Wello Away Heart away and Smurfs at home on Saturday. Other times we have fought with pride and effort in Perth and Wellington that hasn't been seen since 2008.

Reality is P4V you want the dynasty thing you and I and all of us need to show a bit of patience. Success is earned and not an entitlement. Some of our fans need to understand this. I am seriously starting to worry for the well being of our fans on game days if we don't win. The vitirol directed at GVE on the net after a draw or loss would indicate some fans have razor blades poises over wrists on Saturday night

hauss
05-02-2013, 02:29 PM
I've been holding back on this one but I'd just like to add a few comments.:

Gary has been stablising the squad in the last month or so. It's not all doom and gloom. There are a few good things he has done:

1. Backed Birighitti - does anyone question this now? Cause they sure did at the start of the year. I'd go as far as to say that he looks to be the best keeper we've had. Better than Covic.
2. Set up the attacking options early with Goodwin/Heskey/Griffiths/Virgilli. I don't see anything wrong with these guys/positions.
3. Stablised the back four - apart from last week when Regan was excluded and Mitchell was reintroduced. Hopefully normal service will resume next week.
4. Sorted out the Defensive midfield - introduced Caravella because he apparently saw a lack of spark amongst the current group. We will see the fruit of this decision over the next month. Hopefully it will be a good outcome.

The only thing holding back our "possession based game" is our no 10, who should be pivotal in receiving and distributing the ball and shooting for goal. Gary has continued to back James Brown and so far his faith hasn't really been repaid. It has cost him. If Brown won't come good then we need to enter the market and secure someone of real quality and I think we will have a good all round team for next year, especially if we can also improve or replace the people not featuring in the squad ie. Jesic, Ribiero, Bridges.

Gary has stepped on a lot of toes. But the things we seem to admire from the top performing teams are things Gary is trying to implement at the Jets. WSW, Victory and Mariners all have a vision of how to play. Ange said of Fox on Monday night that essentially it didn't matter as much what the vision was exactly, but it was extremly important that everyone in the club believed in it. So what are you going to do when some players are opposed to the vision. You have a choice to make - be pragmatic with the players you have or continue with the vision. Which do you want? Do you want a pragmatic coach or a visionary? Do you want players to dictate terms according to their own abilities? Which is better long term?

As for the comparisons between us and Roar/Victory/Mariners. Ange would never have come to the Jets. He was a wanted man and he wanted to go to Victory to build his mega-club to dominate the A-League. Poppa only came home because the Wanderers agreed to a 5 year contract. He may be a very good coach but was also lucky the Wanderers went against their "marquee" philosophy to sign Ono. Arnold seems happy at a club where he has no pressure. He loves a small club with the underdog status. He would be under a lot more pressure at the Jets. We have never been able to attract quality players & coaches as easy as Sydney and Melbourne clubs, so in a way it makes sense to start again with young players. I see Gary as a coach who "fits" Newcastle, although the hate for him is really detrimental to the overall goodwill around the club. Love or hate Gary, he is not buckling yet under the emmense pressure being applied to him by some fans. I think he deserves respect for that.

It's always darkest before the dawn. If we sort out our No. 10 and the team starts winning, what will the doubters say Pv4? Will they acknowledge the continual development the squad has been under this year or will they just keep uncomfortably silent until the next opportunity arises?

Grimario
05-02-2013, 02:51 PM
The only thing holding back our "possession based game" is our no 10

What game are people watching to think this is the only thing holding back our possession based game? To me it seems like 70+% of the time we go from defense to attack by hoofing the ball in the air. How would having a #10 change that?

hauss
05-02-2013, 02:52 PM
As an additional point, it is clear to me that there is a difference in Gary's mentality between his first and second term. In his first term he was more resigned to let others dictate things that he should have been responsible for. He wasn't fully in control. I think he will acknowledge that he lost control of the squad after the first player exodus following the Grand Final, when all the senior players were unhappy with the way the club was being run. He didn't attempt to reassert his control and he got punished for it with a wooden spoon.

It is clear from the way he firstly treated Wehrman and other players that he is not going to make that mistake again. Unfortunately Werhman bore the brunt (was the scapegoat) for this new resolution. But it is the same resolution you see in Ange. Maybe people aren't willing to see that kind of resolution in him. Ange seems more of a charismatic leader and so he is free to throw his weight around a bit more with less objection.

My point is that he obviously learnt a lesson from his first spell at the Jets, that haters are still punishing him for to suit their agenda.

hauss
05-02-2013, 02:54 PM
What game are people watching to think this is the only thing holding back our possession based game? To me it seems like 70+% of the time we go from defense to attack by hoofing the ball in the air. How would having a #10 change that?

I stated firstly that he has sorted out the defensive midfield positions but we are yet to see the fruit of it.

Grimario
05-02-2013, 02:58 PM
I stated firstly that he has sorted out the defensive midfield positions but we are yet to see the fruit of it.

How does having a different defensive midfielder with the same lack of options change anything? Zenon can be the greatest player in the world yet his options are still going to be two centre backs, Birra or very occasionally the other DM, whoever that might be. Our attack is almost entirely quick counters or attempting to capitalise on opposition mistakes. I don't buy this "we are attempting to build from the back" rhetoric that is constantly churned out as part of the GvE philosophy.

plague
05-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Ok I think I've solved this thread.

Half of you think that apart from all the shit things he does, GVE is mega awesome.

The other half thinks that apart from the good things he does, GVE is ****ing useless.

(Well except MFKS who just seems to yell a lot about not much in particular).

Got it, thanks.

q-money
05-02-2013, 03:16 PM
hahaah wehrman the scapegoat hahahahahahahahaha

plague
05-02-2013, 03:18 PM
hahaah wehrman the scapegoat hahahahahahahahaha

Thought his problem was a total lack of heavies?
Did I miss something?

hauss
05-02-2013, 03:21 PM
How does having a different defensive midfielder with the same lack of options change anything? Zenon can be the greatest player in the world yet his options are still going to be two centre backs, Birra or very occasionally the other DM, whoever that might be. Our attack is almost entirely quick counters or attempting to capitalise on opposition mistakes. I don't buy this "we are attempting to build from the back" rhetoric that is constantly churned out as part of the GvE philosophy.

Again, as I said in my first post, Gary is reported as seeing a lack of spark in the current players and by introducing Caravella he was trying to get everyone to lift. Maybe with the events that have transpired, with Jobe leaving, you could guess that he wasn't impressed with the effort he was seeing at training and wanted to alter the team dynamics a bit. I don't know exactly, but like I said, a decision has been made and we'll see the fruit of this in the next month or so.

sh10
05-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Ok I think I've solved this thread.

Half of you think that apart from all the shit things he does, GVE is mega awesome.

The other half thinks that apart from the good things he does, GVE is ****ing useless.

(Well except MFKS who just seems to yell a lot about not much in particular).

Got it, thanks.

lol, spot on

Just add me, who is pretty much this guy:

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/anchorman-i-dont-know-what.gif

hawk
05-02-2013, 03:36 PM
As for comparing GVE to Ange well ridiculous comparison.
Ange signed players to turn Victree into Championship contenders this season Milligan Finkler Coe Traore etc. GVE signed ****ing kids with a distinct longer term vision. When Ange was at Roar he also signed the older player in Broich Solozarno Berisha Smith Theoklitos etc

So, Ang signed players to win the league and Gve signed players to potentially come good one day down the track. This is folly.

If gve signed established players for a top 4 finish and signed SOME top youth to continue the good results (ie gypos:sigh:) I would applaud.

I do agree with the destablising and pride bit.

The Dunster
05-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Ange and Popovich take less than half a season to get their respective teams firing. GVE is yet to get the Jets firing after more than a season.
Enough with this it will be ok in the long term shit.

The only credentials GVE has is that he used to be a very good footballer. With respect to man management, which is pretty much paramount in profesional sport - he's a joke.

pv4
05-02-2013, 03:47 PM
and what would milligan, coe & finkler be - about 26/27 years old? not exactly old buggers, still 5 years at least left in them (even though gui is out for the season with injury). and traore would be around 20 (but in fairness, ange didn't sign him).

pretty sure berisha is only around 26, solozarno is around 23. but i do see where you were attempting to head mfkfc

plague
05-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Just add me, who is pretty much this guy:

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/anchorman-i-dont-know-what.gif

This post wins the thread.
Brilliant.

05-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Bringing this muppet back was always going to be a dogs breakfast. GVE talks a great game but thats it. Seriously how much football have we seen this season that remotely resembles anything like the style he preaches ?. SFA would be the answer to that one.

The sooner the club moves him on albeit in another role or gone altogether the better things will be.

There was never any good going to come from bringing back a manager who's style has not changed one bit.

No good trying to compare GVE to an Ange or a Poppa that would be the ultimate insult to those two " real " managers of football and just as importantly men.

boz-monaut
05-02-2013, 04:24 PM
The only credentials GVE has is that he used to be a very good footballer. lol wut?

the main problem with Van Egmond from the haters side is that people don't buy into his vision because he's a bit of a ****

Thomas477
05-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Ange and Popovich take less than half a season to get their respective teams firing. GVE is yet to get the Jets firing after more than a season.
Enough with this it will be ok in the long term shit.

Lets just take a look some players Ange and Popovic have signed for this season: Topor, Traore, Labo, Milligan, Covic, Flores.

All are proven players that can play at A-League level. Having played alot of games at this level.

The players we've signed are much younger and have less experience at A-League. Thus it will take time for them to adapt to this level.

05-02-2013, 04:58 PM
^ This is the big leagues a results business. Results bring sponsorships, crowds and additional membership just to name a few.

Who is getting them who is not ?.

I got no problem with GvE wanting to harness the potential of up and coming youth, just don't use our first team as some frigg'n weekly experiment to satisfy his own ego.

My2BobsWorth
05-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with pv4's earlier post, I believe we will not make the 6 this year, and it pisses me off when I see the type of football the other teams are playing. Why not us. I honestly can't see any light at the end of the tunnel for this year or next. The other consideration is the PR side of things, there will always be 6-7K that will turn up for a game, but does the general public want to be entertained by the current team, maybe, maybe not. It would be cheaper for me to just get Fox on.

plague
05-02-2013, 06:14 PM
The players we've signed are much younger and have less experience at A-League. Thus it will take time for them to adapt to this level.

I'm confused, isn't this what the ****ing youth league is for?

Thomas477
05-02-2013, 06:47 PM
I'm confused, isn't this what the ****ing youth league is for?

There is still a gulf in class between the two leagues, otherwise Jesic will be killing it at HAL level, rather than NYL. There will always be this gap.

^ This is the big leagues a results business. Results bring sponsorships, crowds and additional membership just to name a few.
Who is getting them who is not ?.
I got no problem with GvE wanting to harness the potential of up and coming youth, just don't use our first team as some frigg'n weekly experiment to satisfy his own ego.

Well our membership for this season wasn't impacted by last season's 7th, given that it has grown. As for results, well GvE is getting them for us, not Ange, Arnie, Kossie etc. As for a weekly experiment, over the last 4 weeks he has not made a specific change to the squad, apart from Regan, and that was probably more a disciplinary issue, more than anything. And before you bitch that Regan should be playing, the fact is he had a go at his boss (in GvE), and no employee can expect preferential treatment after such a display, no matter who you are.

05-02-2013, 06:51 PM
I will happily bet a carton with you we will not reach 11k next season with GVE in charge.