PDA

View Full Version : The EPL Thread aka Euro Snobs

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Retro Jet
13-12-2021, 08:32 AM
EPL - English Penalty League
This round has gotta be up there in the record books...?

Retro Jet
02-01-2022, 10:58 PM
For the record, Gillette was in charge at Stockley Park for the @rsenal v Oilscum.
:ban:

Bon
13-01-2022, 11:28 AM
Looks like Villa have signed Digne from Everton..
I'd read a few weeks ago that he was close to signing with Newcastle, but looks like they've been pipped..

WButler89
15-01-2022, 04:38 AM
The main impression of the season, for me personally, is how great De Gea is playing now. Already named Player of the Month twice and Man of the Match six times. He even solved the penalty problem, which was perhaps the main weak point of his entire career...

StannyCFCJET
03-03-2022, 04:48 PM
Got no idea about Romans ties to Putin or anything but he leaves having saved English football. No one wanted only United and Arsenal winning it every year and he made it possible for other clubs to compete

boz-monaut
03-03-2022, 05:31 PM
I think most people would rather actual football clubs propped up by supporters than the sportswashing petro states and oligarchs that Abramovich heralded the start of

StannyCFCJET
03-03-2022, 06:24 PM
I think most people would rather actual football clubs propped up by supporters than the sportswashing petro states and oligarchs that Abramovich heralded the start of

I mean It started way earlier then that? Liverpool bankrolled in the 80s, United in the 90s and before that, Supporters owning clubs would be great but takes alot of work IMO, Roman stopped the prem turning into a two team league

Bon
03-03-2022, 06:56 PM
I find your blind love for Chelsea to be admirable, Stanny..
I don't think you can say Roman "saved English football" though...

StannyCFCJET
03-03-2022, 07:24 PM
I find your blind love for Chelsea to be admirable, Stanny..
I don't think you can say Roman "saved English football" though...

So you prefer Arsenal and United winning everything while we all look on? No thank you

boz-monaut
03-03-2022, 08:32 PM
yes, I think everyone other than the most blinkered Chelsea, Man City and Newcastle fans see positives in the ridiculous skewed market that was brought about by oligarchs and petro regime money flooding into the game

football supremacy goes in cycles, teams win for a while, then they drop down a little on the pyramid while others shine - sure Arsenal and Man U were winning when Abramovich took, but that wasn't going to be the only way from there onwards, and hadn't been for that long - look at Liverpool's supremacy in the 80s

suggesting that Abramovich's ill gotten gains being splashed around to win everything, in the manner we're now seeing Man City and will soon see Newcastle as a positive for football is a ludicrous position

and suggesting that the Glazers or Fenways Sports Group are as evil as Putin's Russia or the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is also a ludicrous position

StannyCFCJET
03-03-2022, 09:16 PM
yes, I think everyone other than the most blinkered Chelsea, Man City and Newcastle fans see positives in the ridiculous skewed market that was brought about by oligarchs and petro regime money flooding into the game

football supremacy goes in cycles, teams win for a while, then they drop down a little on the pyramid while others shine - sure Arsenal and Man U were winning when Abramovich took, but that wasn't going to be the only way from there onwards, and hadn't been for that long - look at Liverpool's supremacy in the 80s

suggesting that Abramovich's ill gotten gains being splashed around to win everything, in the manner we're now seeing Man City and will soon see Newcastle as a positive for football is a ludicrous position

and suggesting that the Glazers or Fenways Sports Group are as evil as Putin's Russia or the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is also a ludicrous position

Mate no one was catching up to United or Arsenal until we stepped in. No one! I'm also not suggesting any one is as evil as each other just saying Roman saved English football from becoming a boring two horse race year after year. He may have spent big but those two teams had made it that you had to spend big to overtake em. I don't recall Liverpool being anywhere near those two during the PL era. Roman forced teams to up their games and look for outside investment.

boz-monaut
03-03-2022, 10:31 PM
all you've just said is that you started watching English football in the late 90s, early 2000s and have no memory of other hegemonic periods

that or you're cherry picking a few years to suit your argument

Abramovich did not save the Premier League from becoming Scotland

StannyCFCJET
03-03-2022, 10:44 PM
all you've just said is that you started watching English football in the late 90s, early 2000s and have no memory of other hegemonic periods

that or you're cherry picking a few years to suit your argument

Abramovich did not save the Premier League from becoming Scotland

In the time period he bought the club how was anyone catching up the Fergi and Wenger without huge investment?? Explain. Also look at all the winners of the prem from inception, Pretty much only two winners,.

Buddha
04-03-2022, 09:04 AM
If anything, he probably made English Football worse for splashing huge amounts of cash of players because it laid the blueprint for your City's et al to essentially buy the League

Jetmaster
04-03-2022, 09:29 AM
The whole EPL concept stuffed things up with of course, money, and it was always going to happen.

But having lived it, the old First Division was so much more enjoyable when clubs like Villa, Derby and Forest could win the League (and the Champions League too!)

I used to love the old Chelsea teams who were built around great locals like Ray Wilkins. Same with Man U and Man City (both who were relegated - how could that happen now?).

Ipswich, QPR, Everton were big hitters and the FA Cup was often won by the underdog. And it was very popular.

Personally, I wish the Super League came off and left the rest of us alone. As far as the media is concerned our clubs outside the big 6 don't exist. If we happen to beat Chelski or Man Utd is is usually down to some inherent problem with them. Don't ever tell me they have done us a favour other than a bit more TV money that gets swallowed up by an inflated market anyway.

Back to my Big Match videos...

StannyCFCJET
04-03-2022, 01:35 PM
The whole EPL concept stuffed things up with of course, money, and it was always going to happen.

But having lived it, the old First Division was so much more enjoyable when clubs like Villa, Derby and Forest could win the League (and the Champions League too!)

I used to love the old Chelsea teams who were built around great locals like Ray Wilkins. Same with Man U and Man City (both who were relegated - how could that happen now?).

Ipswich, QPR, Everton were big hitters and the FA Cup was often won by the underdog. And it was very popular.

Personally, I wish the Super League came off and left the rest of us alone. As far as the media is concerned our clubs outside the big 6 don't exist. If we happen to beat Chelski or Man Utd is is usually down to some inherent problem with them. Don't ever tell me they have done us a favour other than a bit more TV money that gets swallowed up by an inflated market anyway.

Back to my Big Match videos...

As I kept saying. United under Fergie then Arsenal under Wenger made the prem that way. Either spend big or be happy never winning stuff

StannyCFCJET
04-03-2022, 02:01 PM
I actually agree with your points but the game was set and we wanted to play as well. I actually loved the late 90s chelsea team the most. Zola Vialli etc

Frodo
04-03-2022, 04:09 PM
Roman saved English football is honestly the most deluded take I've ever witnessed on this forum. Not even the membah has said something so out of touch with reality as that. Thanks Stanny, I dead set near pissed my pants reading those posts.

Frodo
04-03-2022, 04:15 PM
Side note, how good is the fact that Roman has essentially held the club hostage now as well. He never actually invested any of his own money, he only loaned it through a shell company. So now that they want to take his assets away he's leaving a club with an insurmountable amount of debt (£1.5 billion), a stadium which is both falling apart and we'll below the standard of most other top half EPL sides and a legacy of completely ruining modern football by inflating transfer fees, agent fees and wages to a level that is unreachable/unsustainable for any clubs outside of the top tier. Chelsea created the Super league years ago when they came in and started buying titles before their club could actually afford them. City followed suit and the rest is history.

StannyCFCJET
04-03-2022, 04:41 PM
Side note, how good is the fact that Roman has essentially held the club hostage now as well. He never actually invested any of his own money, he only loaned it through a shell company. So now that they want to take his assets away he's leaving a club with an insurmountable amount of debt (£1.5 billion), a stadium which is both falling apart and we'll below the standard of most other top half EPL sides and a legacy of completely ruining modern football by inflating transfer fees, agent fees and wages to a level that is unreachable/unsustainable for any clubs outside of the top tier. Chelsea created the Super league years ago when they came in and started buying titles before their club could actually afford them. City followed suit and the rest is history.

Our stadium is fine. He has wiped the debt. Doesn't want it back as he actually cares about the club unlike other top 6 owners and only did what you had to do to topple arsenal and United. Arsenal and United fans just upset other people now win stuff

Frodo
04-03-2022, 05:28 PM
Our stadium is fine. He has wiped the debt. Doesn't want it back as he actually cares about the club unlike other top 6 owners and only did what you had to do to topple arsenal and United. Arsenal and United fans just upset other people now win stuff

The debt is there, it's in their financial reports. He tried to give stewardship of the club to the charitable foundation to avoid sanctions, they said hell no because both morally and legally it was wrong. He then started the process of selling the club, during which the massive debt was found, and now he's said that he will "clear the debt". He hasn't specified if he means after the sale or before from what I've read.

You should probably learn about how he made his money before thanking him on the way out. Roman was a straight up mobster and metaphorically stabbed many people in the back (maybe even literally if rumours are true) for his bosses on his way up the Kremlin crime ladder.

I'm not upset other teams caught up, it was always going to happen once Ferguson and Wenger retired because they were the true reason they dominated English football, not money like you always cry about. Roman ruined the game with money, not the club's who were successful before. There was always a limit to how far clubs could stretch themselves, Roman ruined that by making his team financially impossible to fail. Chelsea FC are hated by the lower league teams whereas United and Arsenal aren't, I wonder why that is?

StannyCFCJET
04-03-2022, 05:36 PM
Chelsea FC are hated by the lower league teams whereas United and Arsenal aren't, I wonder why that is?

Everyone in english football hates United and you wont find many who likes Arsenal either. They respect the two clubs but Like? nope

redwah
04-03-2022, 09:47 PM
In the time period he bought the club how was anyone catching up the Fergi and Wenger without huge investment?? Explain. Also look at all the winners of the prem from inception, Pretty much only two winners,.

Didn’t fergie retire and the mancs haven’t been on top since? Didn’t Wenger get all but forced out by the fans because 4th and a cup final weren’t good enough anymore and they’d kill for that?

Frodo
05-03-2022, 10:15 AM
Didn’t fergie retire and the mancs haven’t been on top since? Didn’t Wenger get all but forced out by the fans because 4th and a cup final weren’t good enough anymore and they’d kill for that?

The fact that both clubs have fallen off cliffs after their respective managers left, even with massive revenue and huge amounts of spending on players, is the greatest compliment they could actually receive.

redwah
05-03-2022, 06:20 PM
The fact that both clubs have fallen off cliffs after their respective managers left, even with massive revenue and huge amounts of spending on players, is the greatest compliment they could actually receive.

True…and also an argument that the Russian or Arab owners played a part in bringing more money to the premier league but hardly forced the downturn in those clubs

fozphantom
14-03-2022, 02:04 PM
how the ***k is that shirt pulling incident in the 57th with Chalobah and Murphy not pinged for a pen??

Retro Jet
15-08-2022, 08:37 AM
Boxing gloves in order next London Derby.:rof:

StannyCFCJET
15-08-2022, 09:34 AM
how the ***k is that shirt pulling incident in the 57th with Chalobah and Murphy not pinged for a pen??

It was Cucarella and Anthony Taylor is a cheating ****

baldrick
28-05-2023, 10:15 AM
Hows about those Hatters.

Retro Jet
28-08-2023, 11:02 AM
Some excellent displays of goalkeeping this round.
Wolves v Ev and Ali's 1st half save to mention a few.