PDA

View Full Version : Famous People Death Thread

Pages : [1] 2

plague
26-12-2016, 03:34 PM
figured its happening often enough to keep something permanent.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of George Michael but geez louise his performance at the Freddie Mercury tribute concert was phenomenal.

2016 is taking no prisoners.

furns
26-12-2016, 06:00 PM
2016 can f*ck right off

plague
26-12-2016, 08:17 PM
here it is if you've never seen it.

also, if you re not quite sure how good this is feel free to go watch other singers try and do Freddie songs.

it aint easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYAR8RigqDA

Jeterpool
26-12-2016, 10:17 PM
here it is if you've never seen it.

also, if you re not quite sure how good this is feel free to go watch other singers try and do Freddie songs.

it aint easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYAR8RigqDA

Holy shit! Wow....I love that song and I was skeptical...but wow.

I actually got to see Brian May play Bohemian Rhapsody live in the anniversary show of We Will Rock You back in 2009. That was something special. Came out the trap door with Ben Elton.

Thank you for sharing that, Plague.

The Dunster
27-12-2016, 01:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX_zmcVE0Wc

The first album was pretty good but after that they released the follow up Freedom which was muzak / dross.
Great singer though and could craft very catchy melodies as well. Unfortunately, the party took precedence over the art and he peaked far too early.

The Dunster
27-12-2016, 01:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaaxikFwLcU

Some of the best New wave hooks of the early 80's.

The Dunster
27-12-2016, 01:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hktHI4fGydE

Great rhythm guitar in this one.

Jetmaster
27-12-2016, 02:30 PM
Agreed - the Freddie tribute performance is absolutely his very best live.

Just put this old Countdown performance up to remember the brilliant Rick Parfitt, of Status Quo who passed away on Christmas Eve...

https://youtu.be/4jWQSEo1WUM

This time last year we lost Lemmy, Stevie Wright, then Bowie in swift succession. Has me thinking who will be the third this time around!

Good riddance 2016.

hawk
27-12-2016, 04:09 PM
2017 will have as many, youve just become old enough to notice more.

Like the meme says, this life hasnt even smashed you with the end of its dick yet

plague
27-12-2016, 05:44 PM
2017 is just chilling til it pulls the plug on Princess Leia on Jan 1st.

Jetmaster
27-12-2016, 07:48 PM
2017 will have as many, youve just become old enough to notice more.

Like the meme says, this life hasnt even smashed you with the end of its dick yet

Indeed that is very true.....

Jeterpool
28-12-2016, 07:35 AM
2017 is just chilling til it pulls the plug on Princess Leia on Jan 1st.

2016 wanted to finish what it started, I think

Jetmaster
28-12-2016, 07:58 AM
"Nanna" from the Royle Family gone too - my arse! :arse:

She was 95 though.

furns
28-12-2016, 10:37 AM
Vale Carrie Fisher :(

WolfMan
28-12-2016, 11:14 AM
"Nanna" from the Royle Family gone too - my arse! :arse:

She was 95 though.

She's gone to join Emma Roid, in the back passage

The Dunster
28-12-2016, 02:15 PM
60 is very young but it's about par for the course if you do a shitload of drugs and drink like a fish.
In Fishers case she did trips from the age of 13 and apparently never stopped. Lucky to have made it to 40 to be honest.

plague
29-12-2016, 08:08 AM
this question came up yesterday and I haven't had enough time to fully think it through but while we are waiting for the next famous person to go ponder this:
If you could bring anyone back from the dead who would it be?
The only caveat is it must be someone you don't personally know.

Go.

Jetmaster
29-12-2016, 11:19 AM
This has popped up again on Facebook...

See how many you can name.

Grimario
29-12-2016, 12:51 PM
Debbie Reynolds passed away as well. Rushed to hospital with suspected stroke, gone.

The Dunster
29-12-2016, 12:55 PM
This has popped up again on Facebook...

See how many you can name.

Front Row is:

George Michael, Lady Penelope aka Sylvia Anderson , R2D2 aka Kenny Baker

Jetmaster
10-01-2017, 02:01 PM
Happy New Year.

Today Michael Chamberlain and Peter Starstedt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8XQZYIiNgo

One of those great late 60's songs written under the influence no doubt.

The Dunster
10-01-2017, 02:09 PM
I remember Michael Chamberlain coming into where I worked a few years ago. He looked like a broken man then and with all that he and his family were subjected to by the media machine it's understandable.
In saying that he was very pleasant and seemed a nice man.
No doubt the media will take one last chance to cash in on his story.

Grimario
11-01-2017, 09:41 AM
Yesterday was a year on from Bowie dying as well.

Jetmaster
11-01-2017, 10:05 AM
I remember Michael Chamberlain coming into where I worked a few years ago. He looked like a broken man then and with all that he and his family were subjected to by the media machine it's understandable.

Indeed - I remember bumping into him in a newsagent at Cooranbong in the 80's when all hell was breaking loose. He just had that "nice" aura about him and I knew on meeting him it was all a beatup. 80% of the people I mentioned this to said "he should be in jail". I have never trusted anything the media says since that day....of course ACA dragged Ray Martin in last night. And they were one of those on the offensive 30 years ago.

plague
11-01-2017, 09:51 PM

yeah his (new) family used to come into my old work a bit. the son had a smoking hot girlfriend (then Michael started dating her momma then shit got weird). He was always super standoffish but everytime he came in all eyes went on him and you could see everyone going over their opinions of whether or not he 'did it'.

either way as the D-Man said, what him and his family went through you wouldn't wish on anyone. from losing their kid to being jailed for it to going free but a good % of the public still thinking you did it anyway.

met Linda once too. holy heck she was a cold cold woman. no time for any small talk from your boy Plague.

evolution
12-01-2017, 09:52 AM
Michael Chamberlain was one of my clients in my former career. Very nice bloke, a little odd however. The shit he went through would probably do that to you though. Sad to see him go.

plague
27-02-2017, 09:49 AM
Bill Paxton.
Loved seeing that dude pop up in movies.

Bon
27-02-2017, 09:57 AM
Bill Paxton.
Loved seeing that dude pop up in movies.

Devastated by this news..
One of the only actors to be killed by the terminator, predator AND alien.. I don't think I can think of a role of his that I didn't rate him in.. (Even as Coconut Pete in the awfully-bad-but-good Club Dread)..

Game over man.. Game over..

http://media.comicbook.com/2016/07/bill-paxton-aliens-192554.jpg

plague
27-02-2017, 10:12 AM
Devastated by this news..
One of the only actors to be killed by the terminator, predator AND alien.. I don't think I can think of a role of his that I didn't rate him in.. (Even as Coconut Pete in the awfully-bad-but-good Club Dread)..

Game over man.. Game over..

http://media.comicbook.com/2016/07/bill-paxton-aliens-192554.jpg

Loved him.
Brilliant in True Lies.
Even popped up in Edge of Tomorrow.

Bon
27-02-2017, 10:22 AM
Loved him.
Brilliant in True Lies.
Even popped up in Edge of Tomorrow.

Sooooooo good as Simon the dodgy car salesman in True Lies..
"I have to lie to women to get laid, and I don't score much. I got a little dick, it's pathetic!"

GazFish35
27-02-2017, 10:39 AM
loved him in tombstone

pv4
27-02-2017, 11:13 AM
One of those "am I psychic" moments but Mrs v4 for the last solid week/fortnight has been saying she's been keen to watch Twister, was spewing it wasn't on Netflix & kept pestering me to check my HDD which I haven't bothered to do yet. Also hasn't helped that young baby v4 is obsessed with The Wiggles and every single time Dorothy the Dinosaur comes on, Mrs v4 goes "you know what other movie has Dorothy in it? Twister. Have you checked your stinking hard drive yet?" :rof::oops:

The news this morning made us feel.. weird? But yeah, one of those things that proves we are a higher being, innit.

In a small win for me, look on the bright side type deal, I can only assume Twister will now come on Netflix so I won't have to find my hard drive in the cesspit that is my office storage :rof:

plague
27-02-2017, 11:34 AM
one of those "am i psychic" moments but mrs v4 for the last solid week/fortnight has been saying she's been keen to watch twister, was spewing it wasn't on netflix & kept pestering me to check my hdd which i haven't bothered to do yet. Also hasn't helped that young baby v4 is obsessed with the wiggles and every single time dorothy the dinosaur comes on, mrs v4 goes "you know what other movie has dorothy in it? Twister. Have you checked your stinking hard drive yet?" :rof::oops:

The news this morning made us feel.. Weird? But yeah, one of those things that proves we are a higher being, innit.

In a small win for me, look on the bright side type deal, i can only assume twister will now come on netflix so i won't have to find my hard drive in the cesspit that is my office storage :rof:

they could have taken helen hunt instead and no one would care why god whyyyyyyyyyyy

The Dunster
27-02-2017, 12:07 PM
One of the most versatile actors in history. Very sad news.

pv4
05-03-2017, 09:42 PM
One of those "am I psychic" moments but Mrs v4 for the last solid week/fortnight has been saying she's been keen to watch Twister, was spewing it wasn't on Netflix & kept pestering me to check my HDD which I haven't bothered to do yet. Also hasn't helped that young baby v4 is obsessed with The Wiggles and every single time Dorothy the Dinosaur comes on, Mrs v4 goes "you know what other movie has Dorothy in it? Twister. Have you checked your stinking hard drive yet?" :rof::oops:

The news this morning made us feel.. weird? But yeah, one of those things that proves we are a higher being, innit.

In a small win for me, look on the bright side type deal, I can only assume Twister will now come on Netflix so I won't have to find my hard drive in the cesspit that is my office storage :rof:

Update for anyone who wanted a follow-up:

Still haven't seen Twister come up on Netflix. Mrs hounded me about the HDD again. Somehow dug it up amidst the office chaos, cranked the computer on, loaded the HDD and turned out I don't have it on there. Best I could offer her in terms of natural disaster movies were Volcano, or Armageddon. She wasn't keen on either. Pv4 disappoints, yet again.

hawk
05-03-2017, 11:17 PM
Update for anyone who wanted a follow-up:

Still haven't seen Twister come up on Netflix. Mrs hounded me about the HDD again. Somehow dug it up amidst the office chaos, cranked the computer on, loaded the HDD and turned out I don't have it on there. Best I could offer her in terms of natural disaster movies were Volcano, or Armageddon. She wasn't keen on either. Pv4 disappoints, yet again.

rof. torrent my good man, fix in minutes

The Dunster
19-03-2017, 12:39 PM
Chuck Berry died today aged 90. Without this bloke the Rolling Stones and The Beatles, and pretty much any other rock band you care to name would not have existed. THere were other guitarists before him but this bloke made it cool to play and he made it the driving force of the music not an accompaniment.
More significant though, He was the first man of colour to really make an impact on white audiences.

Very sad day indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d1mZJsZGXg

plague
19-03-2017, 12:41 PM
Chuck Berry died today ages 90. Without this bloke the Rolling Stones and The Beatles, and pretty much any other rock band you care to name would not have existed. THere were other guitarists before him but this bloke made it cool to play and he made it the driving force of the music not an accompaniment.

As a person sure he was a little toxic and all but he had to be given the times he grew up in.

Very sad day indeed.

To be fair without his brother Marvin he'd never have made it.

The Dunster
19-03-2017, 12:57 PM

:lol:

baldrick
19-03-2017, 01:01 PM

And Marty McFly

plague
19-03-2017, 02:54 PM
Wait, was Marvin the brother or the cousin?

I'm getting flashbacks it was 'cousin'.

The Dunster
19-03-2017, 03:08 PM
Cousin

plague
19-03-2017, 03:34 PM
Cousin
Cheers.

MFKS
19-03-2017, 04:15 PM

Chuck chuck it's your cousin Marvin.

Marvin Berry

You know that new sound you been looking for??

Listen to this

**** me

Who didn't watch that movie and can't recite it is a ****in gypo??

plague
19-03-2017, 04:30 PM
Chuck chuck it's your cousin Marvin.

Marvin Berry

You know that new sound you been looking for??

Listen to this

**** me

Who didn't watch that movie and can't recite it is a ****in gypo??

If you put as much bad shit in your body as I did last night you would understand how such an error could be made.

An error, by the way, that I corrected myself as I slowly regained the use of my brain.

MFKS
19-03-2017, 04:59 PM
If you put as much bad shit in your body as I did last night you would understand how such an error could be made.

An error, by the way, that I corrected myself as I slowly regained the use of my brain.

Error??

You didnt have to watch the Jets play last night

I think your brain was working at full capacity last night

hawk
19-03-2017, 06:50 PM

Marvin was a Martian

The Dunster
09-04-2017, 12:20 PM
Don Rickles died this week. One of the funniest comedians of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5_V9RT8aR8

StannyCFCJET
10-04-2017, 10:58 AM
John Clark the ABC comedian and actor has passed away. Sad times Loved him in The Games

Grimario
10-04-2017, 11:06 AM
john clark the abc comedian and actor has passed away. Sad times loved him in the games

ffs :(

Bon
10-04-2017, 11:13 AM
That is fvcked...

MFKS
10-04-2017, 12:10 PM
John Clark the ABC comedian and actor has passed away. Sad times Loved him in The Games

Always looked like he was dead with his stone faced satire

The Dunster
12-04-2017, 03:38 PM
John Warren Geils died today aged 71.

He was a wonderful guitarist known for playing all styles of music - but perhaps best known for his 80's hits such as Centrefold and Freeze Frame.

The Dunster
13-04-2017, 04:40 PM
Charlie Murphy died today after a long battle with Leukaemia [Brother of Eddie Murphy]. Best known for playing himself on Dave Chappelle Show and as Rick James' Body Guard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJB0BkJlbbw

furns
13-04-2017, 06:19 PM
Charlie Murphy died today after a long battle with Leukaemia [Brother of Eddie Murphy]. Best known for playing himself on Dave Chappelle Show and as Rick James' Body Guard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJB0BkJlbbw
Wow
Didn't even realise he was ill :(

plague
13-04-2017, 06:36 PM
That Chappelle show stuff with Charlie's stories about Prince and Rick James are ****ing hilarious.

Jeterpool
13-04-2017, 07:13 PM
That Chappelle show stuff with Charlie's stories about Prince and Rick James are ****ing hilarious.

Yep. Great sketches

The Dunster
23-04-2017, 04:03 PM
Erin Moran [Joanie Cunningham from Happy Days] Gone at 56 years old. Suspected Heroin overdose which is pretty sad no matter how you look at it.

Grimario
04-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Who is it?

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4640433/emergency-meeting-at-buckingham-palace/

leftrightout
04-05-2017, 01:18 PM
Who is it?

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4640433/emergency-meeting-at-buckingham-palace/

Cant be Phillip, he died years ago...He is Weekend at Bernies!

Bon
19-05-2017, 08:23 AM
Deeply saddened by the passing of Chris Cornell..

plague
19-05-2017, 08:49 AM
Not cool that he's dead but seriously Soundgarden was wack as **** and Audioslave was twice as wack.

Jetmaster
19-05-2017, 01:24 PM
Honestly didn't know who the guy was though I know who Soundgarden are....and he was 52!

Makes me realise how old I am.

furns
19-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Pivotal to the emergence of Seattle grunge in the late 80's, and the soundtrack of my teens. Sad day :(
Kurt, Layne and now Chris all gone. 3 gone forever from of my top 5.

plague
19-05-2017, 02:08 PM

Top 5 what?

Bon
19-05-2017, 02:09 PM
Not cool that he's dead but seriously Soundgarden was wack as **** and Audioslave was twice as wack.

I know I shouldn't bite, but I'm going to..
I'm assuming you mean "wack" to be a bad thing??
What makes it so?

Pivotal to the emergence of Seattle grunge in the late 80's, and the soundtrack of my teens. Sad day :(

Absolutely.. As a matter of interest, who are your other two?

hawk
19-05-2017, 02:27 PM
What makes it so?

Plague is trying to say that his music taste is in his ass

Absolutely.. As a matter of interest, who are your other two?

Bros & whitney Id guess. There's a chance of seeing one soon.

furns
19-05-2017, 02:27 PM
Absolutely.. As a matter of interest, who are your other two?Tool and Stone Temple Pilots
And after I posted earlier I realised that Weiland died in 2015 - so is actually 4 out of my top 5

Bon
19-05-2017, 02:28 PM
Tool and Stone Temple Pilots
And after I posted earlier I realised that Weiland died in 2015 - so is actually 4 out of my top 5

Yeah, Weiland passing was a sad one too.. He was a troubled bloke..
Only MJK left ay..

hawk
19-05-2017, 02:30 PM
He was a troubled bloke...

This seems to be a common theme to so many big musos. Is it the troubled ones who choose music?

furns
19-05-2017, 02:33 PM
Yeah, Weiland passing was a sad one too.. He was a troubled bloke..
Only MJK left ay..Yep, and Vedder as well although I was never into Pearl Jam at all.

Bon
19-05-2017, 02:34 PM
This seems to be a common theme to so many big musos. Is it the troubled ones who choose music?

Yeah i often wonder this too.. Chicken and egg..
Do they become famous from being troubled (and being a character, singing from the heart, writing dark stuff, etc) or do they become troubled from excess, drugs, false reality, etc..

furns
19-05-2017, 02:34 PM
This seems to be a common theme to so many big musos. Is it the troubled ones who choose music?Seems to be
Although in a massive show of the universe balancing it all out - Roger Ailes (aka that utter c*nt in charge of Fox News until recently due to being an alleged sex pest) passed away within hours of Chris.
See if that balancing out had happened last year, maybe 2016 wouldnt have been so horrid.

plague
19-05-2017, 02:36 PM
What makes it so?

Just my opinion but of all the 'famous' bands from that era Soundgarden was by far the most droning monotonous stuff out there.

I just don't dig their music.

Plus, whether they liked it or not Audioslave would always be compared to Rage and anyone thinking they were anywhere near as good is a legitimate crazy person.

But yeah opinions and all that.

plague
19-05-2017, 02:38 PM
Yeah i often wonder this too.. Chicken and egg..
Do they become famous from being troubled (and being a character, singing from the heart, writing dark stuff, etc) or do they become troubled from excess, drugs, false reality, etc..

Comedians are some of the darkest most depressed people you'll ever meet.

Bon
19-05-2017, 02:39 PM
Just my opinion but of all the 'famous' bands from that era Soundgarden was by far the most droning monotonous stuff out there.

Plus, whether they liked it or not Audioslave would always be compared to Rage and anyone thinking they were anywhere near as good is a legitimate crazy person.

Yeah, I understand that man, its not for everyone..
Audioslave were always going to be compared to RATM, and could never, ever live up to it..
Its always good to hear other peoples opinions and views on music, so long as its not just "thats fvcken ghey" or whatever..

The Dunster
19-05-2017, 02:49 PM
Mudhoney are probably as significant as anyone for the Seattle sound and people rarely mention them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nGsT_qFMBs

furns
19-05-2017, 03:18 PM

Music is subjective, I don't hold anyone's musical choices against them. What appeals to some doesn't appeal to others, some people stick to a genre that they like. Others like myself have a fairly eclectic range of musical tastes. Some days Ill grunge out, others I could be in the mood for some RnB or any other number of a wide range of electronic genres (Oakenfold and multiple happy hardcore remix albums being the most prevalent)
Personally, I did not get into Pearl Jam, not that I didn't enjoy a few of their songs but as a whole the band's work just didn't grip me like the others I mentioned earlier.

Maybe this should be continued in the Music thread haha

plague
19-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Maybe this should be continued in the Music thread haha

Nah, thread hijacking is part and parcel of the off season.

Besides, someone else will die tomorrow and we'll naturally move on.

Interesting about the Pearl Jam thing. I don't know many people who were in that era who are 'meh' about them.

Plenty of people hate them and others will take out a knife and stab you at the first bad word about Eddie Vedder.

Never really heard anyone in the middle.

hawk
19-05-2017, 04:07 PM
Comedians are some of the darkest most depressed people you'll ever meet.

Think I read about artists using their emotional parts of their brain can make them have higher highs and lower lows and all that. Someone please GTFM.

Interesting about the Pearl Jam thing. I don't know many people who were in that era who are 'meh' about them.

Plenty of people hate them and others will take out a knife and stab you at the first bad word about Eddie Vedder.

Im in the middle on PJ. Love a couple of songs and not many others so they're ok. anyway back to the.....passing on thread....:(

The Dunster
19-05-2017, 04:10 PM

Pearl Jam are a poor man's "The Who" Eddie Vedder would even back me up on that.

plague
19-05-2017, 05:22 PM
Im in the middle on PJ. Love a couple of songs and not many others so they're ok.

Oh c'mon Hawk.
I bet there's old photos of you rocking the flanno* and doc martens with your hair down to your arse.

You probably went through that despairing age where you went 6hours without a supermodel and you thought life was over.

*prob a Gucci flanno.

furns
19-05-2017, 05:26 PM

Dont get me wrong I quite liked a few of their songs individually, Jeremy probably being the standout.
But when I tried listening to an entire album, it just didn't appeal to me as an overall experience.

StannyCFCJET
23-05-2017, 11:52 PM
Sir Roger Moore has passed away :(

Jetmaster
24-05-2017, 07:25 AM
Odd...just doing a 007 binge and am up to "A View To A Kill".

plague
24-05-2017, 09:06 AM
I swear a lot of people still thought he 'was' Bond after he retired from acting so he was all like "yeah **** it ima move to Monaco and live this life".
Bloke bossed it.

plague
24-05-2017, 09:09 AM
Also made me giggle when they were searching for a replacement for Daniel Craig in the Bond role and Idris Elba's name kept popping up.

People were losing their minds that it was such a departure from the stereotypical 'Bond' character (i.e. 'He black') but if you go compare Moore to Connery to Craig to those pussies in between and they were all very very different.

But no, can't have a black guy in there, it just wouldn't 'work'.

Jetmaster
24-05-2017, 09:32 AM
Also made me giggle when they were searching for a replacement for Daniel Craig in the Bond role and Idris Elba's name kept popping up.

People were losing their minds that it was such a departure from the stereotypical 'Bond' character (i.e. 'He black') but if you go compare Moore to Connery to Craig to those pussies in between and they were all very very different.

I don't believe you should change the setting of the original author. Bond was a suave aristocrat from the English system and that is how Fleming intended it. The actors have different personalities and that gives the role different spin. It has worked for 50 years and Bond was never for the PC brigade anyway with his carry ons.

pv4
24-05-2017, 09:51 AM

FWIW I was hugely against Elba but not at all because of his skin colour. He just doesn't seem charismatic in any way to me. I watched Luther and I can't think of a less exciting Bond tbh.

Bon
24-05-2017, 09:56 AM
FWIW I was hugely against Elba but not at all because of his skin colour. He just doesn't seem charismatic in any way to me. I watched Luther and I can't think of a less exciting Bond tbh.

We both know that this is who should be the next Bond..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IhO1FuJA30

plague
24-05-2017, 10:13 AM

You realise they said the same shit about Daniel Craig and he turned out alright.

Stringer Bell was a ****ing great character on a show full of really great characters.

I'm not saying he should be a 'lock' for the role but man o man did the people dismiss him quickly in a way that they didn't do to a lot of others.

plague
24-05-2017, 10:14 AM
I don't believe you should change the setting of the original author. Bond was a suave aristocrat from the English system and that is how Fleming intended it. The actors have different personalities and that gives the role different spin. It has worked for 50 years and Bond was never for the PC brigade anyway with his carry ons.

So you're cool with those other actors being different, just not the black guy?

Gotcha.

The Dunster
24-05-2017, 10:20 AM

Lazenby and Dalton were brilliant as Bond, and Brosnan really only had one decent script to work with - I'd say Moore is probably the weakest link in the franchise. I liked him much better as Simon Templar - that role he owned. Moore was too old too play Bond - and it really showed in his later efforts with the franchise.

Bon
24-05-2017, 10:23 AM
Lazenby and Dalton were brilliant as Bond, and Brosnan really only had one decent script to work with - I'd say Moore is probably the weakest link in the franchise. I liked him much better as Simon Templar - that role he owned. Moore was too old too Play Bond - and it really showed in his later efforts with the franchise.

I'm starting to think this almost needs its own "Who was the best Bond" thread, complete with poll and Slobs option, (and lets face it, Slobs truly is the Bond of Mayfield)..

plague
24-05-2017, 10:31 AM
Yeah I'm no Bond expert but I always though Moore was camp as ****.

I thought the Dalton and Brosnan movies were lame.
I loved Casino Royale (the new one), but though the latest one was boring as all hell.

pv4
24-05-2017, 10:56 AM
Skyfall was freaking phenomenal

Re: Elba - if he proves me wrong, I'm all for it. I don't hold optimism though.

All these arguments are irrelevant though, because they'll get Chris Pratt to do it next.

The Dunster
24-05-2017, 11:02 AM
Henry Cavill would make a great James Bond. Only issue is he might be too well known Superman role.

plague
24-05-2017, 11:28 AM
Skyfall was freaking phenomenal

Re: Elba - if he proves me wrong, I'm all for it. I don't hold optimism though.

All these arguments are irrelevant though, because they'll get Chris Pratt to do it next.

Oh yeah Skyfall was pretty dope.
Spectre was the boring one I was referring to.

See, someone like Pratt would probably do a good job. I'd be down with them doing something different, as they have done seemingly every time they changed Bonds.

You only have to look at the Nolan Batman films compared to the Snyder ones to see what happens when they try and do the same thing with completely different people.

plague
24-05-2017, 11:30 AM
Henry Cavill would make a great James Bond. Only issue is he might be too well known Superman role.

Didn't they try to do that with him in the retro spy movie he made a couple years back?

Can't remember what it's called but I think Guy Ritchie had something to do with it.

plague
24-05-2017, 11:31 AM
Oh, get Vin Diesel to be Bond, then in the 2nd movie get the Rock to come in and steal all his shit.
Then just make The Rock be James Bond.

Would watch many times.

Grimario
24-05-2017, 11:39 AM
Didn't they try to do that with him in the retro spy movie he made a couple years back?

Can't remember what it's called but I think Guy Ritchie had something to do with it.

The Man From UNCLE

pv4
24-05-2017, 11:40 AM
Oh yeah Skyfall was pretty dope.
Spectre was the boring one I was referring to.

See, someone like Pratt would probably do a good job. I'd be down with them doing something different, as they have done seemingly every time they changed Bonds.

You only have to look at the Nolan Batman films compared to the Snyder ones to see what happens when they try and do the same thing with completely different people.

Agreed re Skyfall & Spectre.

I'm also agreeing with changing it up as opposed to the same specs. Hence why I'm thinking a younger, and definitely funnier, Pratt-or-similar will be in line next.

Elba would give off a similar personality to Craig IMO, but the big difference obviously being his hairline...........

Grimario
24-05-2017, 11:42 AM
Agreed re Skyfall & Spectre.

I'm also agreeing with changing it up as opposed to the same specs. Hence why I'm thinking a younger, and definitely funnier, Pratt-or-similar will be in line next.

Elba would give off a similar personality to Craig IMO, but the big difference obviously being his hairline...........
Elba will be too busy being the next Doctor, won't be able to fit in Bond.

StannyCFCJET
24-05-2017, 06:34 PM
I'm starting to think this almost needs its own "Who was the best Bond" thread, complete with poll and Slobs option, (and lets face it, Slobs truly is the Bond of Mayfield)..

Doesn't need a poll Connery is the answer and anyone that says different needs to watch Goldfinger

plague
11-06-2017, 11:25 AM
Oh man now the bloke who played Batman died.

No not that bloke that played Batman, the other one.

The Dunster
11-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Oh man now the bloke who played Batman died.

No not that bloke that played Batman, the other one.

Adam West. When will the Quahog election be to replace him ? And will the Russians be involved ?

hawk
11-06-2017, 09:26 PM
Adam West. When will the Quahog election be to replace him ? And will the Russians be involved ?

The bloke who paused on each sentence in thought mode.....KaPow

plague
21-07-2017, 01:56 PM
ok we are stretching it a bit but the dude from Linkin Park.

wowzers.

furns
21-07-2017, 06:26 PM
ok we are stretching it a bit but the dude from Linkin Park.

wowzers.
Like most people, big fan of their early stuff. Anything after they became involved in Transformers was rubbish.

plague
21-07-2017, 06:59 PM
did they hit after Limp Bizkit or before?

for some reason i thought Limp Bizkit killed that whole genre (until it pops up again) but maybe Linkin Park got more mileage out of it?

StannyCFCJET
21-07-2017, 10:06 PM
Like most people, big fan of their early stuff. Anything after they became involved in Transformers was rubbish.

Just my opinion but everything up to their new record was Solid to me. A Thousand Suns is criminally underrated

boz-monaut
31-07-2017, 01:08 PM
Les Murray is too big for this thread

I'm actually genuinely sad now, the guy was inseparable from football in this country

margie
31-07-2017, 01:11 PM
so sad
:(

q-money
31-07-2017, 01:16 PM
RIP Les - brought the world game into the loungerooms of kids that had never seen anything like it. I remember my weekends after sport were parked in front of the TV watching world soccer, the truly brilliant serie A review show, and the match of the week. exposed a generation of kids to euro football. i still can't take a free kick without thinking about the words "hristo stoichkov"

a legend

The Dunster
31-07-2017, 03:15 PM
Very sad day indeed.

plague
31-07-2017, 03:25 PM
the truly brilliant serie A review show,

Was that with that Tony Pollumbo(?) dude?
Had the full Italian accent and used to get so sad when 'eeenter meelan' used to cock up.

Is he still alive?

plague
31-07-2017, 03:28 PM
You'd obviously put Richie Benaud in the same bowl but prob no other media figure repped their sport better yeah?

q-money
31-07-2017, 03:43 PM
Was that with that Tony Pollumbo(?) dude?
Had the full Italian accent and used to get so sad when 'eeenter meelan' used to cock up.

Is he still alive?
haha nah it was the one from the euro broadcaster, i believe it used to follow the Alitalia Futsal Challenge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ymXYHsbAVI&t=25s

MFKS
31-07-2017, 05:40 PM
You'd obviously put Richie Benaud in the same bowl but prob no other media figure repped their sport better yeah?

What about old mate who done the formula One for years??

furns
31-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Murray Walker

MFKS
31-07-2017, 07:50 PM
Murray Walker

That the bloke

Man is Mr Formula One

plague
31-07-2017, 08:11 PM

Oh I'd contend that your inability to remember his name answers all your questions about how synonymous he was with the sport yeah?

belchardo
01-08-2017, 11:31 AM
Oh I'd contend that your inability to remember his name answers all your questions about how synonymous he was with the sport yeah?

alternatively, it could mean he doesn't much care about formula 1 but does remember one thing - that they had the same race caller for decades. i support the member on this one.

i'll also throw in gabriel gate and the tour de france :lulz:

baldrick
01-08-2017, 07:19 PM

Gordon Bray & Rugby. But he isn't dead yet..

boz-monaut
01-08-2017, 07:32 PM
no but rugby is in this country

MFKS
01-08-2017, 08:12 PM

I don't watch it that much but I remember this bloke

Be the same as many Bogans who don't follow wog ball but remember that Les Murray bloke when they see the news he died

That's when you know the bloke transcends his sport

MFKS
01-08-2017, 08:16 PM
Phil Liggott in cycling
Peter Aliss in golf

There be quite a few out there Plague

belchardo
01-08-2017, 08:26 PM
no but rugby is in this country

http://www.shaunmicallefonline.com/wp-content/uploads/S4E8-Zinger.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/4jZ_sZw9iNs/maxresdefault.jpg:brrr:

plague
01-08-2017, 08:37 PM
Phil Liggott in cycling
Peter Aliss in golf

There be quite a few out there Plague

Ill give you Phil Liggott, and kudos because that is an excellent one.

but no, there arent 'quite a few'.

plague
01-08-2017, 08:38 PM
i'll also throw in gabriel gate and the tour de france :lulz:

and id throw him straight back out in a heartbeat.

q-money
01-08-2017, 11:44 PM
vin scully
jim ross

Jetmaster
02-08-2017, 07:45 AM
Henry Blofeld retires later this month - last of the "classic" English commentators.

MFKS
02-08-2017, 08:31 AM
vin scully
jim ross

Jim Ross??

Now let's not even start with the semantics of whether rassling is a sport or entertainment etc because that a seperate argument all together

That bloke is although a commentator is still a paid employee of a company putting on Rassling shows

Sort of well outside the lines of real journo and advocate for a sport like we looking at with Les Murray Phil Liggott etc

Not saying JR don't pump up his sports tyres but it is essentially his job to do so anyway

plague
02-08-2017, 08:56 AM
vin scully
jim ross

Vin Scully was one of many legendary local broadcasters that were synonymous with individual teams. The fact someone could point to Harry Carey (think that's how it's spelt) and argue his contribution was just as important dilutes all of those baseball guys status.

As for wrasslin' any old person will trump your Jim Ross with gorilla Monsoon, Jesse Ventura and Mean Gene Okerlund.

But the correct answer for WWE is Vince MacMahon.

The Dunster
02-08-2017, 09:21 AM
Alan McGilvray - Cricket. He was the man.

The Dunster
02-08-2017, 09:38 AM
Vin Scully was one of many legendary local broadcasters that were synonymous with individual teams. The fact someone could point to Harry Carey (think that's how it's spelt) and argue his contribution was just as important dilutes all of those baseball guys status.

As for wrasslin' any old person will trump your Jim Ross with gorilla Monsoon, Jesse Ventura and Mean Gene Okerlund.

But the correct answer for WWE is Vince MacMahon.

How young are you blokes ? What about Jack Little from WCW [1964-1978] ? WCW was part of the National Wrestling Alliance [NWA] and was around long before WWF or WWE existed or was shown on TV in Australia.

But agree with you that Vince Junior put Wrestling onto the map. Before him it was a lot of little operations pretending to be united under one banner [NWA].
Vince turned it into a billion dollar industry and got it into everyone's homes whether they liked it or not.

MFKS
02-08-2017, 11:01 AM
Not disputing Vince McMahon hasn't had a huge impact on wrestling business

But the initial point is media/journos who have been an advocate for the sport

Vince is neither

Sure as shit he has blown his own sports image to biblical proportions but he ain't a media man

He the promoter

That same philosophy puts Les Murray and Phil Liggott on par with a bloke like Don King then

And we now off on a wild tangent

q-money
02-08-2017, 11:59 AM
And we now off on a wild tangent
well i never

Jetmaster
02-08-2017, 12:27 PM
The Brits own this.

John Arlott, Brian Johnson, Fred Truman - cricket
Eddie Waring - rugby league (Rex Mossop here)
"Whispering" Ted Lowe - snooker
Peter Aliss - golf
Brian Moore - football (along with Barry Davies, Martin Tyler, John Motson and Hugh Johns)

plague
02-08-2017, 01:09 PM
You guys are doing this wrong.

Les Murray was more than a commentator. He was a TV boss, he had the ears of governments, he worked for the damn international federation.

Plus he did it from such a tiny starting point in the marketplace it can be argued that you can directly tie him to the growth and popularity of the sport.

Get out of here with your Rex Mossop bullshit.

Try better, some of you blokes are god awful at this.

Oh and Member the first people saw of Vince Mac was as a ringside commentator for his organisation.

Carry on.

Jetmaster
02-08-2017, 01:47 PM
From Plague's first point he's right:

You'd obviously put Richie Benaud in the same bowl but prob no other media figure repped their sport better yeah

But the thread went at a different tangent and we have been talking about commentators synonymous with their sport.

And I well remember Vince M being a commentator through the 80's before he bought the major stake and made his family the Osbourne's of wrestling.

plague
02-08-2017, 02:41 PM
From Plague's first point he's right:

But the thread went at a different tangent and we have been talking about commentators synonymous with their sport.

No, my point was great.
The thread derailed when the good Member, as per usual, said something silly and instead of joining me in calling him out you all let him suck you down into one of his tangent holes.

Which, by the way, is a brilliant trick the Member routinely pulls off but I'm too #woke for that.

q-money
02-08-2017, 03:00 PM
i ruined it by mentioning good ol' JR

The Dunster
02-08-2017, 05:42 PM
We really need a wrestling thread so we can discuss the greatest professional wrestler of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4lK41SX-Q\

Grimario
02-08-2017, 05:51 PM
You mean the wrasslin thread?

http://www.newcastlefootball.net/forum/showthread.php?1039-Sports-Entertainment-aka-the-Wrasslin-Thread/page2

hawk
02-08-2017, 09:48 PM
fmd

belchardo
03-08-2017, 08:21 AM
squires

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/ng-interactive/2017/aug/03/david-squires-on-the-late-great-les-murray

Bon
23-08-2017, 10:38 AM
Yesterday (or today in USA) would have been Layne Staley's 50th birthday...

http://bp3.blogger.com/_LXqBXJEfW0A/SH3LXzrNBwI/AAAAAAAAFHY/kUUY_x9jCDM/s400/layne+staley.jpg

boz-monaut
31-08-2017, 09:03 PM
Mike Cockerill has passed away after a battle with cancer

MFKS
28-09-2017, 04:20 PM
Hugh Hefner has died

Only bloke in the world where no one will say he has now gone to a better place now he has died

Bloke was literally living the dream with his bevy of sluts on a daily basis

The Dunster
28-09-2017, 05:51 PM
Hugh Hefner has died

Only bloke in the world where no one will say he has now gone to a better place now he has died

Bloke was literally living the dream with his bevy of sluts on a daily basis

He was a great man and one of the loudest voices for civil rights long before it became popular.

plague
03-10-2017, 07:40 AM
Tom Petty gone too.
Not a fan of his music but dude was a pretty ****ing huge star.

Jetmaster
03-10-2017, 11:28 AM
Tom Petty gone too.
Not a fan of his music but dude was a pretty ****ing huge star.

I have Full Moon Fever and the Wilburys stuff so will be missed.

His Chrissy song is pretty much a standard too.

Hang on - he's not quite dead!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-03/american-singer-songwriter-tom-petty-suffers-cardiac-arrest/9009650

https://graduatemedicineapplicant.files.wordpress.com/2016/12/dead.gif?w=584

Jetmaster
04-10-2017, 08:51 AM
Now he is - RIP.

The Dunster
25-10-2017, 07:22 PM
George Young died the other day - he was 70 years old. Responsible for some great songs and helped to put Aussie Rock on the map. Great guitarist as well - some classic riffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drNqZWzj5GY

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-23/george-young-dies-easybeats/9077274

Jetmaster
26-10-2017, 05:08 PM
Only just heard about this last night - as a major Australian songwriter and producer and eldest of the Young brothers I thought there would be more coverage.

Always liked this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EcyboLa8R8

hawk
26-10-2017, 05:55 PM
Ah the Mod music era. Have some of that shit on the drive somewhere.

How bout ol flat top Fats, he kicked the colonel's bucket too.

Jetmaster
27-10-2017, 12:58 PM
RIP the Fatman....hero of Richie Cunningham...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgDHtM600nw

The Dunster
27-10-2017, 01:29 PM
Wonderful man and musician. A true legend and a great role model for us all.

The Dunster
19-11-2017, 11:56 AM
Malcolm Young has passed away. One of the greatest guitarists in history and a true innovator as well who influenced millions of guitarist all over the world.
A very tough time for the Young family given they also recently lost George as well.

Jetmaster
19-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Malcolm Young has passed away. One of the greatest guitarists in history and a true innovator as well who influenced millions of guitarist all over the world.
A very tough time for the Young family given they also recently lost George as well.

Not unexpected but of course a massive loss - rate him along with Rick Parfitt as the premier power rhythm guitarists of that 70s rock ilk. Sad that they both left us so soon.

And we were only farewelling George on this very page. Angus must now feel like Barry Gibb.

MFKS
20-11-2017, 07:44 PM
Charles Manson

Currently making himself comfortable with Satan in hell

plague
20-11-2017, 08:06 PM
yeah read he was gone but for some reason thought id read that before so was a bit skeptical.

wish that dude Hammer was still on here so he confirm these things.

regardless, he was a piece of shit. (Manson, not that Hammer dude).

The Dunster
21-11-2017, 08:23 AM
The Manson trials are very interesting given his role not being physical - and the fact his issue was with the previous owner of the house not Polanski. Also interesting how everyone knows Manson but few people could tell you who Tex Watson is and his role in the massacre.

MFKS
22-11-2017, 07:32 PM
The Manson trials are very interesting given his role not being physical - and the fact his issue was with the previous owner of the house not Polanski. Also interesting how everyone knows Manson but few people could tell you who Tex Watson is and his role in the massacre.
Wasn't Watson the one who actually did the deed acting on Manson's wishes ??

The Dunster
22-11-2017, 10:04 PM
Wasn't Watson the one who actually did the deed acting on Manson's wishes ??

Correct.

The Dunster
22-11-2017, 10:17 PM
David Cassidy passed away today. For those of us old enough to remember him in the early 70's he was huge - bigger than Bieber was in his prime. Bloke was a TV star who on weekends filled stadiums with screaming teen girls.
Have to admit The Partridge Family was a pretty funny show. The comedy between Bonaduce, Madden, and Cassidy was brilliant. The music - was complete shit.

MFKS
16-01-2018, 12:12 PM
Delores ORiordan

Dies suddenly at 46

Cops ain't sure what got her but a bit of mystery particularly when a muso dies young in a hotel room etc

boz-monaut
16-01-2018, 12:18 PM
battles with anorexia, depression and back pain suggest it could have been an accidental overdose

she really had an awful voice though when you listen to it - masked my the accent and string section, it was honking

plague
16-01-2018, 12:40 PM
she really had an awful voice though when you listen to it - masked my the accent and string section, it was honking

Irish and Scottish chick singers have the sexiest voices ever.

I once sat through a whole Amy MacDonald concert on YouTube just to hear her talk between songs.

I also refuse to watch any Karen Gillian movies unless she speaks in her natural accent.

The Dunster
16-01-2018, 04:07 PM
Irish and Scottish chick singers have the sexiest voices ever.

I once sat through a whole Amy MacDonald concert on YouTube just to hear her talk between songs.

I also refuse to watch any Karen Gillian movies unless she speaks in her natural accent.

I'm googling these names because I have no idea who these people are.

plague
16-01-2018, 04:19 PM

Don’t waste time on the images, get straight to the voices.

Jetmaster
16-01-2018, 05:43 PM

Didn't know the name but knew who the Cranberries were. "Zombie" was a song where I would jump up and turn down the volume on the radio avoid the awful screeching in it. Horrid song.

Jetmaster
16-01-2018, 05:57 PM
Will also belatedly add Ray Thomas, flautist for the Moody Blues. If you know "Nights in White Satin" you know his work.
Bizarrely I listened to one of his solo albums last week, jumped onto the interwebz to see what he was up to and found out he died last weekend.

hawk
16-01-2018, 09:45 PM
Didn't know the name but knew who the Cranberries were. "Zombie" was a song where I would jump up and turn down the volume on the radio avoid the awful screeching in it. Horrid song.

for sure

hawk
05-03-2018, 11:20 AM
https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/79/590x/secondary/David-Ogden-Stiers-dead-Major-Charles-Emerson-Winchester-III-MASH-1255238.jpg

David Ogden Stiers, a prolific actor best known for playing a surgeon on the MASH television series, has died. He was 75.

Came in after the show was losing its slapstick comedy feel. Added depth to the villain character.

plague
05-03-2018, 12:38 PM
https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/79/590x/secondary/David-Ogden-Stiers-dead-Major-Charles-Emerson-Winchester-III-MASH-1255238.jpg

Came in after the show was losing its slapstick comedy feel. Added depth to the villain character.

Hahahaha, came here thinking Roger Bannister, left here with a dude from MASH.

Top Work Hawk.

Jeterpool
15-03-2018, 03:10 PM
Very surprised nothing was added in here yeseterday following the passing of Stephen Hawking.

hawk
15-03-2018, 10:20 PM
Very surprised nothing was added in here yeseterday following the passing of Stephen Hawking.

People or robots?

Just can't comprehend his time theory.

Like htf can people be in the same place at a different time or are we surrounded by trillions of people all being at the same place but cant see each other because we are separated by seconds either way of forever.

https://media.giphy.com/media/gx656616VR5ew/giphy.gif

plague
22-04-2018, 09:54 AM
Prayers up for Mini Me.

hawk
22-04-2018, 08:11 PM
Prayers up for Mini Me.

do you look like him? nice.

he was a good egg

plague
22-04-2018, 08:26 PM
do you look like him? nice.

he was a good egg

Verne towered over me.

Jetmaster
26-05-2018, 10:36 AM
Phil Emmanuel..

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5429457/guitar-legend-phil-emmanuel-dies-suddenly-in-parkes-aged-65/?cs=5951

Saw more of Tommy than Phil but what I have seen was superb.

boz-monaut
08-06-2018, 09:42 PM
Anthony Bourdain has topped himself

I'm a bit shocked and saddened at that to be honest - I was a big fan of his books and TV shows back in the day

plague
08-06-2018, 09:54 PM
Anthony Bourdain has topped himself

I'm a bit shocked and saddened at that to be honest - I was a big fan of his books and TV shows back in the day

i legit have never seen or read anything from the bloke and i swear its because he was the first bloke i ever heard described as a 'celebrity chef' and i immediately wanted nothing to do with any of his bullshit.

which is on me because he did nothing wrong but still, 'celebrity chef' is the 2nd worst moniker you can have, right behind 'rock star designer'.

wait what were we talking about again?

plague
23-06-2018, 09:03 PM
prob not 'famous' in the truest sense. But Vinnie paul has died.

man that band was cursed.

plague
29-06-2018, 03:42 PM
Joe Jackson died yesterday.

Man oh man, now there's a tough eulogy to write.

baldrick
17-08-2018, 07:17 AM
R-E-S-T -I-N- P-E-A-C-E Aretha Franklin

MFKS
17-08-2018, 08:31 AM
R-E-S-T -I-N- P-E-A-C-E Aretha Franklin

How freaky is that

Queen of Soul and The King died on 16th August

plague
17-08-2018, 01:20 PM
How freaky is that

Queen of Soul and The King died on 16th August

Iniesta died?

Bon
07-09-2018, 08:07 AM
Burt Reynolds passed away overnight..

plague
07-09-2018, 02:46 PM
Burt Reynolds passed away overnight..

Man, go look up the story of him, The National Enquirer, a helicopter and horse manure.

You'll laugh.

Bloke seemed like he enjoyed every second of his stardom. Glad it wasnt wasted on some putz.

Jetmaster
07-09-2018, 04:32 PM
Ah...memories of Striptease, with the old bugger covered in oil and sniffing Demi Moore's panties.

https://skinandsnarkdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/screen-shot-2015-10-23-at-8-59-02-am.png

plague
07-09-2018, 05:00 PM
Ah...memories of Striptease, with the old bugger covered in oil and sniffing Demi Moore's panties.

https://skinandsnarkdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/screen-shot-2015-10-23-at-8-59-02-am.png

you say that like its a bad thing.......

The Dunster
07-09-2018, 07:16 PM
Man, go look up the story of him, The National Enquirer, a helicopter and horse manure.

You'll laugh.

Bloke seemed like he enjoyed every second of his stardom. Glad it wasnt wasted on some putz.

Agreed. A very talented actor who also knew how to have fun.

Frodo
13-11-2018, 08:07 AM
Stan Lee passed away at 95.

Premy
14-11-2018, 10:54 PM
Excelsior

The Dunster
19-12-2018, 04:57 PM
Penny Marshall [Laverne and Shirley] passed away today aged 75. She also did well as a director with Big [Tom Hanks] and A League of their Own.

plague
19-12-2018, 06:33 PM
Penny Marshall [Laverne and Shirley] passed away today aged 75. She also did well as a director with Big [Tom Hanks] and A League of their Own.

yeah never knew anything of her, but man oh man she was a real trailblazer for successful* womens movie directors.

*from a money standpoint. pretty much they were all terrible movies.

The Dunster
19-12-2018, 06:57 PM
yeah never knew anything of her, but man oh man she was a real trailblazer for successful* womens movie directors.

*from a money standpoint. pretty much they were all terrible movies.

She's had more than few duds in recent times but movies like Big, A League of their Own, and Awakenings will be enjoyed for many years to come.

Big was the first movie directed by a female to make $100m

evolution
03-01-2019, 10:24 AM
Mean Gene Okerlund gone at 76

plague
03-01-2019, 10:43 AM
Mean Gene Okerlund gone at 76

and Bob Einstein.

rough, rough day for fans of the LeBatard show.

The Dunster
04-01-2019, 12:19 AM
Daryl Dragon [The Captain from Captain and Tennille] gone.

He had some very big hits in the 70's and prior to that was keyboard player for the Beach Boys.

Note: Mean Gene, The Captain, and Super Dave [Bob Epstein] all passed away the same day and were all 76 years old.

Jetmaster
23-02-2019, 08:48 PM
Peter Tork RIP.

Yep....old enough to be a big Monkees fan as a kid.....something of its time. That said I'll be more shattered when Mike leaves us.

The Dunster
25-02-2019, 04:24 PM
Peter Tork RIP.

Yep....old enough to be a big Monkees fan as a kid.....something of its time. That said I'll be more shattered when Mike leaves us.

It was a great show. Remember watching circus boy as well ?

Jetmaster
26-02-2019, 02:23 PM
It was a great show. Remember watching circus boy as well ?

Geez, not as old as you mate (though yes I have seen it)!

Frodo
05-03-2019, 06:42 AM
Keith Flint from The Prodigy has died at 49. They made some pretty awesome music IMO. Music for the Jilted Generation was probably one the first electronic albums I owned.

plague
05-03-2019, 08:36 AM
Luke Perry gone too.

These famous death things happen in threes right?

Pauly Shore would be pretty nervous right now.

plague
05-03-2019, 08:37 AM
Keith Flint from The Prodigy has died at 49. They made some pretty awesome music IMO. Music for the Jilted Generation was probably one the first electronic albums I owned.

I lived in London when The Prodigy first got big.
The nightlife back then. Whoo boy.

plague
05-03-2019, 09:53 AM
****ing hell.
Suicide again.
as angry as this makes me when people do it, it also makes me incredibly sad.

life is never that bad.
****ing talk to someone. it helps.

Frodo
05-03-2019, 10:25 AM
I lived in London when The Prodigy first got big.
The nightlife back then. Whoo boy.

Very jelly. I was a tad too young for that when they broke out. I was more excited to bring their music with me when I drove around in friends cars who had subwoofers. The Prodigy and The Crystal Method were the background music of my being stupid in cars years.

Also, silly me just remembered that Keith wasn't even on Music for the Jilted Generation. It is still an amazing album tho. House work today is going much quicker with the music cranked, neighbours might not be loving me tho.

The Dunster
05-03-2019, 10:35 AM
Luke Perry gone too.

Nothing being sacred in Hollywood the Riverdale writers just got a new plot twist for their show.

The Dunster
05-03-2019, 10:37 AM
****ing hell.
Suicide again.
as angry as this makes me when people do it, it also makes me incredibly sad.

life is never that bad.
****ing talk to someone. it helps.

I find trolling on forums and social media helps a lot with my depression.

plague
05-03-2019, 10:43 AM
Very jelly. I was a tad too young for that when they broke out.

yeah it was the real explosion of dance music and ecstasy into the mainstream (Manchester had been doing it way before London). Top quality pills were cheaper than beer, and every 2nd barman/doorman was dealing (i worked in pubs.......but no didnt deal). No street violence, pubs shutting at 11pm/midnight and someone always having a house party to go to after. Then partying through til Church on sunday.

Coming from Newcastle into that life was to put it mildly, a bit of an eye opener.

Made me laugh though seeing Chvrches earlier this year all i could think of when watching the 2 dudes was that they grew up and were influenced by that exact same era. The Prodigy were a ****ing juggernaut back then, so sad how these things end sometimes.

plague
05-03-2019, 11:01 AM
I find trolling on forums and social media helps a lot with my depression.

[drawing a small bow] the thing that annoys me most (even though it doesnt annoy me in the traditional sense) is when someone dies (Luke Perry in this instance) people go to twitter/facebook and say things addressed to him as a way of offering condolences. "Dear Luke, you were a great friend blah blah blah". Ummmm, Perry is dead, he aint checking twitter. If anything, if you believe, say a small prayer beside your bed or something.

This public airing is nothing more that "LOOK EVERYONE I KNOW THE DEAD GUY HES MY FRIEND" is the worst kind of lookatmeism.
**** those people.

and i know Heaven doesnt have twitter because if it did Prince would have been all over it slamming Timberlake for that shitty Superbowl tribute.

**** Justin Timberlake too.

The Dunster
05-03-2019, 02:52 PM
[drawing a small bow] the thing that annoys me most (even though it doesnt annoy me in the traditional sense) is when someone dies (Luke Perry in this instance) people go to twitter/facebook and say things addressed to him as a way of offering condolences. "Dear Luke, you were a great friend blah blah blah". Ummmm, Perry is dead, he aint checking twitter. If anything, if you believe, say a small prayer beside your bed or something.

This public airing is nothing more that "LOOK EVERYONE I KNOW THE DEAD GUY HES MY FRIEND" is the worst kind of lookatmeism.
**** those people.

and i know Heaven doesnt have twitter because if it did Prince would have been all over it slamming Timberlake for that shitty Superbowl tribute.

**** Justin Timberlake too.

Five Star Post.

100% bang on the money.

Jetmaster
05-03-2019, 05:01 PM
Luke Perry gone too.

King Kong Bundy completes the three.

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/king-kong-bundy-dead-dies/#.XH4QprhS-Uk

The Dunster
18-03-2019, 11:13 AM
Dick Dale gone at 81. https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47606592

This bloke pretty much invented the "Guitar Surf Tone".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56SAxtf-RTg

Jetmaster
18-03-2019, 12:39 PM
Loved the gig he did on Denton when he showed how he melted his picks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfhfkLQ96IE

The jam he did with Roger Daltrey, Ray Manzarek and Chris Isaak on the same show worth a look too.

Grimario
02-05-2019, 03:46 PM
Sir James Bond has died at 89 after a short battle with cancer.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40018422?SThisFB&fbclid=IwAR1oxf7V_gDt1v-V-kLNil_qc5FsCy-er5X8f5qzBTn-r3xSdRy_Vk5Frzc

Bon
02-05-2019, 03:48 PM

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40018422?SThisFB&fbclid=IwAR1oxf7V_gDt1v-V-kLNil_qc5FsCy-er5X8f5qzBTn-r3xSdRy_Vk5Frzc

23/05/2017???

Grimario
02-05-2019, 03:56 PM
****ing hell. Someone just posted this on another forum and I didn't even bother reading it.

StannyCFCJET
02-05-2019, 04:08 PM

Huh

Grimario
02-05-2019, 04:45 PM
Huh

****ing hell. Someone just posted this on another forum and I didn't even bother reading it.

Jetmaster
02-05-2019, 09:48 PM
Sheer gold.

Thought Connery had gone.

MFKS
02-05-2019, 10:32 PM

You Only Die Twice starring Roger Moore

FMD

This is gold

Grimario
03-05-2019, 09:11 AM
:closed:

boz-monaut
03-05-2019, 09:11 AM
now Chewbacca is gone

bastards didn't even give him a medal

Jetmaster
15-05-2019, 08:03 PM
Doris Day and Tim Conway....RIP

Grimario
16-05-2019, 07:49 PM
Bob Hawke gone

Bremsstrahlung
16-05-2019, 07:56 PM
Damn.

plague
16-05-2019, 08:19 PM
Bob Hawke gone

whoa

plague
16-05-2019, 08:22 PM
i have zero doubt in my mind that Bill Shorten is secretly delighted with this news as it will gather Labor some sympathy votes on saturday.

i hate that i think way about people, but Shorten is a special type of scumbag.

The Dunster
17-05-2019, 11:38 AM
Liberal / National Coalition in its extreme right conservative form would never have held government were it not for Bob Hawke, Bill Hayden, and Paul Keating setting the foundation for them.

baldrick
21-05-2019, 12:19 PM
RIP Niki Lauda. 3 time F1 world champion.

Hunter403
27-05-2019, 09:15 PM
RIP Roger Moore. Bond...James Bond.

boz-monaut
27-05-2019, 09:44 PM
jeez that happened four days ago - keep up

Grimario
02-06-2019, 12:46 AM
Jose Antonio Reyes has died, killed in a car accident.

plague
02-06-2019, 07:34 AM
RIP in peace Roger Moore.
The James Bond actor has passed away.

Frodo
02-06-2019, 08:37 AM
Jose Antonio Reyes was a great player and was loved at Arsenal. Wished he'd stayed longer.

Was an Invincible at Arsenal.
Scored the goal that won Real the title in La Liga 2006/07.
Won 5 Europa Leagues. (Most of any person)
Won the UEFA Super cup.
Won the Portuguese Title with Benfica.

MFKS
02-06-2019, 10:52 AM
RIP in peace Roger Moore.
The James Bond actor has passed away.

Again??

**** No

How many times is thus now??

The Dunster
02-06-2019, 11:29 AM
https://images.findagrave.com/photos250/photos/2018/180/179615197_f7e1cefa-74c7-4be9-9069-f1f23ccbda59.jpeg

Skirt Boy
02-06-2019, 07:52 PM
Damir Skomin...........HE is not dead yet..................But will soon be.

The Dunster
07-06-2019, 06:04 PM
Malcolm John Rebennack [Dr John] gone. One of the greats and pretty much royalty among New Orleans musicians.

evolution
10-07-2019, 02:53 PM
RIP Rip Torn

plague
10-07-2019, 03:17 PM
RIP Rip Torn

Larry Sanders show was just a legit brilliant piece of television.

Also, go look up Rip Torn's after school activities. That dude was a legit menace, he lived a life.

Bon
25-07-2019, 11:11 AM
Larry Sanders show was just a legit brilliant piece of television.

Also, go look up Rip Torn's after school activities. That dude was a legit menace, he lived a life.

(Arrrgh I missed this the other day.. Rip Torn was a badass.. )

Another passing recently, Rutger Hauer..

belchardo
03-08-2019, 04:56 PM
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-03/celibate-rifles-frontman-damien-lovelock-dead/11373500

Damien Lovelock has died. I enjoyed listening to him talk football.

Damo Lovelock
03-08-2019, 07:15 PM
RIP Damo. Absolute legend. Loved watching him and Les of a Sunday afternoon on The World Game.

baldrick
03-08-2019, 08:01 PM
The Celibate Rifles are solely responsible for my hearing loss after a great show at The Palais years ago.

A real football man, I’ll miss his views on the beautiful game