PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle City Council Elections

Retro Jet
07-08-2012, 02:14 AM
And what about on the local scene, eh?
I hear there's this Horsie Gnome, running with another Gnome in the Little Man's Disease Party.
First Gnome doesn't know what a book is.
He thinks we should shut all those book storage places and save money.
Second gnome must agree with Anti-book policy, 'cause he associates with 1st Gnome, being a 'strong man' and all
'cause 2nd Gnome "only associates himself with strong men'"....apparently.
2nd Gnome going for Lord Mayor too I believe.

Then there's this 'Bob the Builder' twat.....or is his name really Jeff?

hawk
07-08-2012, 10:32 AM
I hear there's this Horsie Gnome, running with another Gnome in the Little Man's Disease Party.
Second gnome must agree with Anti-book policy, 'cause he associates with 1st Gnome, being a 'strong man' and all

ahhh, prat Bumman

boz-monaut
07-08-2012, 11:19 AM
moved to new thread as:
a) local government infighting and stupidity isn't really politics, it's just idiots
b) there's going to be a lot of talk, mostly about how all candidates are idiots
c) Buman has to be the biggest idiot in the city, he's a disgrace to Newcastle and to short, ugly, stupid, inadequate and insecure men everywhere

plague
07-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Gypo McKinna running for gypoland council.
As if local govt couldn't be any more of a joke.

plague
07-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Also, Buman. Seriously the most un-Newy bloke ever.
Dead set pelican.

hawk
10-08-2012, 12:05 AM
Tate's jumped vote quimby

skippy
10-08-2012, 12:08 AM
Also, Buman. Seriously the most un-Newy bloke ever.
Dead set pelican.

apparently has people working on a Newcastle bid for a rugby league state of origin game, good idea ****head

Retro Jet
10-08-2012, 12:50 AM
apparently has people working on a Newcastle bid for a rugby league state of origin game, good idea ****head

Smacks of desperation and a try-hard

goaliepersempre
10-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Sharon Waterhouse :cool:

q-money
10-08-2012, 11:05 AM
hey did these ****s actually get something past a DA stage?

would seem so

Skirt Boy
13-08-2012, 11:25 AM
It doesn't matter who gets elected. Local government will always be effected by inefficiency and be held to ransom by various "lobby groups".

How long did it take them to remove a bloody rock from South Newcastle Beach? There was dozer operators writing into the Herald to do it for nothing.

The Tree saga. A small vocal minority literally held up this decision, caused a street to be closed for how long and made it bloody hard to visit the major art gallery in the entire region?

Development applications take way to long and cost way too much money.

hawk
03-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Can check out the candidate info sheets
http://www.newcastle.nsw.gov.au/council/elected_council/council_elections

At least live in the area you want to serve, geez.

MFKS
03-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Any of the clowns there that didn't want those stupid figs cut down needs to be shown the arse. Deluded idiots the lot of them holding up democracy

boz-monaut
03-09-2012, 10:05 PM
this from someone who thinks that his opinion on risk is as valid as a professor of risk management...

hawk
04-09-2012, 12:07 AM
Mayoral form guide
Buman = rat
Nelmes = latte sipping merewether dweller & will pretend to care what the central suburbs want, and why is she so orange.
Haines = threatens free entry to pools, will create a summer mecca for dealers.
Sutton = tried to say train crossings are the same as traffic lights and wants more, moron.
McCloy = lol, needs a DA man

Hope the other 2 have a sensible plan.

Jetmaster
04-09-2012, 09:38 AM
The problem with people who go for council is that they just don't have the strategic nous, and are too busy worrying what others think.

Rarely is a decision made because it's the "right" one.

All it takes is one person to audit the books and say right, this is what needs to be done...

au revoir
05-09-2012, 11:26 AM
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/303040/poll-video-candidates-pull-no-punches/?cs=303

CANDIDATES pulled no punches last night, as seven potential lord mayors fielded questions on council amalgamations, Hunter Street, cost-cutting and council processes.

The contenders for the top civic job faced about 400 residents at the Newcastle Lord Mayoral Forum, organised by the Newcastle Institute and the Newcastle Herald.

Debate was often heated as candidates presented some often conflicting visions for the city.

Candidate Jacqueline Haines, a Stockton resident and outsider in the field, summed up the mood: "Do you want infighting, because it's already started before we've come to the table."

Prominent businessman and developer Jeff McCloy was booed by some members of the crowd while responding to criticism from Labor and the Greens.

"If I have to hear [Greens candidate John Sutton] talk once more . . . about the community, I think I'll throw up," Mr McCloy said.

"The community isn't 100 placard-waving smelly individuals.

"If you make decisions for 100 people and you don't make them for the whole city, you don't deserve the job as mayor."

Earlier Mr Sutton had called on Mr McCloy to publicly disclose the sum of money he had spent on the campaign, the properties he owns in Newcastle, and the extent to which he had financed the visits of "climate change deniers".

"I can't recall a previous council election where we have faced the prospect that one particularly wealthy candidate may effectively be buying the election," Mr Sutton said.

The candidates were split about whether the council should move to cut costs or invest in social and cultural services.

Cr Nuatali Nelmes, the Labor candidate, said facilities were "built to be shared, not sold".

She said Labor would defend child care, parks, pools, libraries and other community services.

"We need to get the key infrastructure right," Cr Nelmes said.

Cr Aaron Buman said he would cut costs, including libraries, and that the city should brace for "pain and a lot of pain" under his leadership.

"The budget has to be balanced," Cr Buman said.

"I call it the yellow pages policy, council should stop doing things you can get from the private sector."

Candidates spoke about the need for a new process to engage with the community.

Bryan Havenhand said the council's culture needed to change.

"Council has built a structure for itself, it's like a fortress and the longer they can keep the community out the better," Mr Havenhand said.

"I think there is a structural problem, a systemic problem that needs addressing."

Mr Sutton said the next council must be "seriously engaged" with the community.

Mr McCloy said decisive action was needed to improve the built form of the CBD.

"People don't go to businesses or do business when things are run down," he said.

Cr Buman said he wanted lower Hunter councils to amalgamate, Cr Nelmes said she supported voluntary amalgamations and Mr Havenhand said the idea had merits.

Col Peebles said he would not support any moves to amalgamate councils.

"I don't think it's a sensible idea if you haven't got your own house in order," he said.

Online betting agency Sportsbet has framed a market for the Newcastle lord mayoral race.

Mr McCloy is the favourite at $2.20, followed by Cr Buman at $3 and Cr Nelmes at $3.50.

A bet on Mr Peebles will return $8, Mr Sutton is paying $12, Jacqueline Haines is at $26 and Mr Havenhand is considered the outsider at $41.

there are also videos of the candidates opening remarks if you follow the link.

Nuatali for Lord Mayor.

parksey
05-09-2012, 11:58 AM
what kind of a name is nuatali? i bet she's not even from round here.

Hamma12
05-09-2012, 12:04 PM
what kind of a name is nuatali? i bet she's not even from round here.

I'll bet $10 she's from adamstown area...

sh10
05-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Sutton = tried to say train crossings are the same as traffic lights and wants more, moron.

Well they are, Railcorpse just needs to fix the timings. More crossings would be fantastic; make it much easier to get across the line.

De-Champ
05-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Well they are, Railcorpse just needs to fix the timings. More crossings would be fantastic; make it much easier to get across the line.

Would be much easier to get accross the line if there was no train

sh10
05-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Would also be much harder to get into town, now and especially in the future

boz-monaut
05-09-2012, 05:13 PM
the current crossings at Stewart Ave, Merewether St and Clyde St are listed as the most dangerous in the state, certainly in the RailCorp administered area

but yes I reckon there should be one at Steel St as well

also, the rail line has nothing to do with Council, it's a state issue - and the NSW government seems to think transport in this area involves the movement of mining royalties to port corporation fees

militiamon
06-09-2012, 02:01 AM
So au revoir, can I legit vote for you in the Lake Mac election or what?

seldom
06-09-2012, 02:17 AM
Havenhand sounds like a wanker :gent:

pv4
06-09-2012, 06:59 AM

eagerly awaiting this response

pv4
06-09-2012, 07:34 AM
eagerly awaiting this response

am i right in saying the glorious west ward (avale & fassy included) will be able to hit up a vote to one revior, au?

au revoir
06-09-2012, 10:13 AM

come and say hello at the rathmines polling booth on saturday and i'll let you know. you too, pv4.

pv4
06-09-2012, 10:17 AM
where is the rathys polling booth, is it at the primary school? i'm more of an arcadia vale primary school booth voter myself, but could be tempted by a chat with a local celebrity to rathys.

au revoir
06-09-2012, 10:20 AM
not doing the rathy booth anymore, i know you're both upset.

Thomas477
08-09-2012, 07:47 PM
Robbo did the dirty on Buman.

Handed out his own "Vote Robbo" cards in Ward 4 giving McCloy the vote, which meant Buman had no one handing out his own cards in Ward 4.

:lulz:

Retro Jet
08-09-2012, 10:08 PM

So anyway, the Horsie gnome decides the Bum-Man has shafted him with preferances so jumps ship onto
Humphrey B Bear's cruiser.....docked at Scratchley''s I hear
1st Gnome is pretty peeved at this so grabs Horsie gnome by the throat at a West Newie booth and..well...it's on.
You'd have to be a f***wit for
A: Taking Horsie gnome on in the 1st place and
B: Taking him on in the 2nd place.

Humphrey B Bear as Mayor?
Ring ring "Hello, is that the ICAC? Have you heard what's gone down in Newcastre recently?"
Better station some officers here REAL soon. Yer gonna be busy!"

seldom
08-09-2012, 11:17 PM
that horsie gnome has sold his soul to the highest bidder on many occasions over the last 15 years.was once a fan but now wouldn't piss on him

militiamon
09-09-2012, 12:25 AM

Can confirm that my mother voted for 1 you, lulz

wd pal, looks like we're coming back

parksey
09-09-2012, 01:33 AM
carn mcloy

q-money
09-09-2012, 05:40 AM
one au revoir off to the mccloy salt mines, RIP buddy

q-money
09-09-2012, 05:43 AM
wd pal, looks like we're coming back
one of the great ads, I can't believe anyone else remembers this juan

boz-monaut
09-09-2012, 09:52 AM
so it looks like McCloy is the new mayor of Newcastle

https://is0.4sqi.net/userpix/W2ACRKNO0QUIWYEU.jpg

hilarity is sure to ensue

the blue manc
09-09-2012, 10:50 AM
cue the benny hill music

parksey
09-09-2012, 10:55 AM
yew

pv4
09-09-2012, 10:13 PM

missed this edit - went to rathys anyway & was disappointed not to see you there.

old bud at the exit said "see you again in 13 months" - does all this happen again so quickly?

Thomas477
10-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Nelmes and Sutton took the result badly. On NBN tonight they basically accused McCloy of buying the election and the people of Newcastle for selling their vote to the highest bidder.

Because it can't be the fact that voters punished them for the crap we had to deal with regarding Laman Street.

parksey
10-09-2012, 12:32 AM
mcloy - getting it done

Jetmaster
10-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Queue Herald saying its time to rip up the rail line as McCloy has a mandate - what about those of us in the Valley and the east coast who use the damn thing ?

boz-monaut
10-09-2012, 09:21 AM
which is why you'll be glad to know it's not a local government issue

I'm happy to hear McCloy's ideas for transporting folks to the inner city without a rail line and even happier to hear where he's proposing to get the money to pay for it

the cost estimates put removal of the line at a higher per metre than construction of the Large Hadron Collider

au revoir
10-09-2012, 10:04 AM
missed this edit - went to rathys anyway & was disappointed not to see you there.

old bud at the exit said "see you again in 13 months" - does all this happen again so quickly?

federal election.

boz-monaut
10-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Mr Buman’s eight years on council are over, after he failed to win re-election in Ward 1.
:lulz::lulzturtle:

Thomas477
10-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Queue Herald saying its time to rip up the rail line as McCloy has a mandate - what about those of us in the Valley and the east coast who use the damn thing ?

Don't see what the problem is if it's replaced with a light rail or the like. You still are getting from point A to B, except you aren't forcing commuters to have to wait 10 minutes for the train to go past in morning peak hour.

Also, looks like Lawrie McKinna has got himself a seat on Gosford City Council.

parksey
11-09-2012, 12:11 AM
did robbo win in ward 4?

BodyNovo
11-09-2012, 10:58 AM

can confirm au revoir was stationed at cardiff public. unforunately i went through the wrong gate and only saw him on my way out of the school and missed his pledge for my vote.

plague
11-09-2012, 05:37 PM
It is an absolute pleasure to read the Herald letters to the editor this week. Tin hats all round.
Bring on the end of the world I say. Sounds like a right laugh.