PDA

View Full Version : VAR - It's Football But Not As You Know It

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MFKS
29-04-2017, 09:54 PM
# WhatA****ingJoke

I can't for the life of me work out why some ****ing peadicked mf thought this was a good idea.

Quite frankly the **** who seems to think sport needs these ****s ****ing it up needs shooting

The game got by fine for 130years and the 10 mins of shite I just watched have ****ed it

plague
29-04-2017, 09:57 PM
Haha the most embarrassing thing to happen to sport for ages.

Good onya sockah. Youve reconvinced everyone you are a low grade shithouse sport.

Bravo.

Jetmaster
29-04-2017, 10:00 PM
Can't believe how quickly the VAR has turned me off the game. Season over for me if we are going to hear Bozza rave about "that is what it is there for", with his inane grin.

boz-monaut
29-04-2017, 10:04 PM
it really just goes to show that poor refereeing decisions aren't a result of only seeing it once

shit referees are still shit no matter how many times they see something

hawk
29-04-2017, 10:06 PM
# WhatA****ingJoke

I can't for the life of me work out why some ****ing peadicked mf thought this was a good idea.

Was it your idea then?

Hope they use it every 5 mins. lololol

Jetmaster
29-04-2017, 10:06 PM
And how come we have the ref calling for video when it has been happening in the background the first few rounds?

WolfMan
30-04-2017, 12:02 PM
In all seriousness, how do we go about getting rid of the VAR? Petition? Hashtag?

It is a blight on the game, and it disgusts me personally

Jetmaster
30-04-2017, 12:19 PM
More than anything this is what I didn't want to see...

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/00fee321b3ab9e880f5a595db0e6f398?width=700

Imyourhero
30-04-2017, 01:17 PM
Dont they just have a watch that vibrates for a goal in the epl?

WolfMan
30-04-2017, 01:41 PM
Dont they just have a watch that vibrates for a goal in the epl?

Yes they do, and that would be fine on its own. It's the Video Review rubbish that pi$$es me off.

In other sports like NFL and MLB, these decisions come at a natural juncture of the game - not artificially punctuated by the review process itself. Totally different animals

MFKS
30-04-2017, 01:54 PM
In all seriousness, how do we go about getting rid of the VAR? Petition? Hashtag?

It is a blight on the game, and it disgusts me personally

FFA have it as a trial

So it ain't guaranteed FIFA will give it the green light

I think though we are pissing into the wind here though

The officials ****ing it up is part of the game

One thing for the NRL is the video Ref/ bunker etc gets people talking about the game

So it does great advertising for their game

Jetmaster
30-04-2017, 02:28 PM
Goalies punch balls into their own net. Defenders give away penalties. Mids pass the wrong way. Strikers miss sitters. Coaches employ the wrong tactics and owners pick the wrong coaches. Fans pick the wrong team to support. Commentators make howlers on air.

We all make mistakes that we cannot change...its part of sport.

WolfMan
30-04-2017, 02:40 PM
FFA have it as a trial

So it ain't guaranteed FIFA will give it the green light

I think though we are pissing into the wind here though

The officials ****ing it up is part of the game

One thing for the NRL is the video Ref/ bunker etc gets people talking about the game

So it does great advertising for their game

FIFA keen to jump all in on the video technology - http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/fifa-confirms-video-refereeing-technology-at-2018-world-cup/news-story/193ebda5b946ef46d457457bb458a25d

Advertising for the game? How much NRL bunker talk is about how they got it right? All I ever hear is how they get a million replays and STILL get it wrong.

The fact that last night's match and the VAR decisions are still being debated is my point entirely. This technology was meant to limit these discussions, not fuel them

MFKS
30-04-2017, 04:25 PM
FIFA keen to jump all in on the video technology - http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/fifa-confirms-video-refereeing-technology-at-2018-world-cup/news-story/193ebda5b946ef46d457457bb458a25d

Advertising for the game? How much NRL bunker talk is about how they got it right? All I ever hear is how they get a million replays and STILL get it wrong.

The fact that last night's match and the VAR decisions are still being debated is my point entirely. This technology was meant to limit these discussions, not fuel them

But let's forget whether the decision is right or wrong.

It generates publicity for the game
Newspaper radio TV devoted to discussing the video **** up

The NRL spent how many millions on the Bunker and look at how much publicity it's incompetence gains them.

People can't escape the thing. Even I who barely watches 4-5 games of the shit a season becomes aware of the latest **** up as it all over the media so I can't escape it

It is also an advertising windfall

**** everyone gets hit with subliminal KFC advertising all the time

The Dunster
30-04-2017, 05:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu5piMRY1fU

baldrick
01-05-2017, 07:27 PM
VAR.

RIP football.

Jeterpool
03-05-2017, 10:09 AM
Simon Hill smashed VAR out the park on the FoxSports Football Podcast.

It's apparently going to cost $500,000 to implement for next season if it goes ahead.

They bring up a great point which I also considered over the weekend - the spontenaity of the goal celebration is gone. I don't know if I could cheer as loudly for a goal awarded on the screen as in the moment after I've seen the ball hit the back of the net.

MFKS
03-05-2017, 10:38 AM
Other thing to is what about the decisions made before a goal gets scored??

Striker tries beating the offside trap around half way is immediately flagged for offside so he pulls up play so he doesn't get a yellow for playing on after the whistle and thus doesn't put it in the net.

Replay then shows he onside. Can't just give a video referall goal there can you??

Same scenario but bloke gets shot in and scores but keeper baulks at the flag??

Does the goal stand or not??

It open up massive problems

Macca
03-05-2017, 10:51 AM
And then the further problem in that case which cricket has at the moment which is that the umpires just don't take any responsibility for making a decision as they know the third umpire can easily do it for them later. The no ball checks now for every wicket are a joke. Go back to the umpires calling no balls - if they don't call it at the time then don't bring it back and cancel a wicket.

I could see the same thing happening with offsides, linies just deferring calls to VAR cause they have nothing to gain from making the call.

Goal celebrations are a good point too, it does subdue the emotions a lot.

I'm a fan of technology getting involved but it has to be done right and as subtly as possible - none of this "stop the game, go to the bunker" shit. Goal line technology and give them 5-10 seconds after an offside to look at one replay while play continues. If its a blaring obvious offside call it asap, if you need to slow down to 0.1x speed and check 20 times then stick with the call of the officials. Handballs, fouls, pens they should stay out of it. Maybe post-match sanctions it can be looked at for simulation or bad fouls but not live.

plague
03-05-2017, 11:31 AM
the umpires just don't take any responsibility for making a decision as they know the third umpire can easily do it for them later.

I don't blame the umps for this, and Saturday night was a perfect example.

Sydneys first goal wasn't a 'black and white' call like a ball clearly over the line. The player 'was' offside yet the call was a subjective interpretation of the rules.
On field ref and linesman interpreted it one way, the video ref saw it another way.

Again, it wasn't a yes or no answer, it was an interpretation. For some reason the governing body decided to go with the 33% interpretation (VAR ref) over the 66% interpretation (onfield officials). It completely undermined the authority of the blokes in the middle doing the job.

That's why it sucks balls and actually doesn't really 'solve' anything.

Get rid of it. I can cop goal line rulings, the rest just let 'em play.

Wilso8948
03-05-2017, 11:41 AM

Get rid of it. I can cop goal line rulings, the rest just let 'em play.
****in this!

Jetmaster
03-05-2017, 11:57 AM
Can you just imagine how the joy of Nobby's finish against Adelaide would have gone so sour if VAR then said he was offside?

A victory and two points gone. I shudder to think how the foz would have coped!

Jetmaster
03-05-2017, 12:01 PM
Simon Hill smashed VAR out the park on the FoxSports Football Podcast.

I love Hilly letting rip on this podcast - sometimes I think he is related to the Member.

He toes the line during the TV coverage but on the podcast he has bagged VAR, bagged Smurfs for not having fans and bagged Fox for controlling kickoff times (also noting how the Jets are treated).

He has slated VAR since day one and Peacock keeps saying "it's here" - I so wish we could hear him take on Mr VAR, Bozza.

halo se7en
03-05-2017, 12:48 PM
Get rid of it, and get rid of TV replays so people stop whinging. People might think someone was offside but without definitive proof, the rage usually dies down a lot quicker.

Watching the local games, it's so much easier to accept goals etc when you know you won't see a replay.

MFKS
03-05-2017, 01:11 PM
Get rid of it, and get rid of TV replays so people stop whinging. People might think someone was offside but without definitive proof, the rage usually dies down a lot quicker.

Watching the local games, it's so much easier to accept goals etc when you know you won't see a replay.

You right about the replay

Suburban sport gets by quite fine without 400angles and super slow Mo to see if someone is a beesdick offside etc

Sometimes watching amatuer sport it is enjoyable as the revision is made by the official and everyone just gets on with it

WolfMan
03-05-2017, 01:59 PM
You right about the replay

Suburban sport gets by quite fine without 400angles and super slow Mo to see if someone is a beesdick offside etc

Sometimes watching amatuer sport it is enjoyable as the revision is made by the official and everyone just gets on with it

Funny story, sometimes when I watch local football, I instinctively look for the replay after a goal etc.

Jeterpool
03-05-2017, 02:02 PM
Funny story, sometimes when I watch local football, I instinctively look for the replay after a goal etc.

I didn't find that funny.

Jetmaster
03-05-2017, 02:04 PM
Lost count of the number of times the crowd boos a decision on the screen, then when I get home and watch I find out the ref was right all along.

The Dunster
03-05-2017, 02:23 PM

I think we all do.

goaliepersempre
03-05-2017, 06:00 PM

Basically we never see any replays in the stadiums over here.,, maybe highlights at half time or something. But mostly you just watch the game, it isnt broadcasted over the big screen either

The goal line technology works because its instantaneous.

Football doesnt need VAR , let the game play. Thats the beauty of it, improve the training and resources for referees if needed, spend the 500 000 on improving other aspects. (not because the gambling lobby wants it)

Its a natural thing, mistakes often ease out over the game, like individual player mistakes......

westjet
07-05-2017, 06:48 PM
If a player gets a yellow that shouldnt have been given (wasnt worthy of one, mistaken identity etc) then recieves a second yellow later in the game is the var allowed to overturn that?

MFKS
07-05-2017, 06:49 PM
If a player gets a yellow that shouldnt have been given (wasnt worthy of one, mistaken identity etc) then recieves a second yellow later in the game is the var allowed to overturn that?

Only if he a Sydney FC player

MFKS
07-05-2017, 06:59 PM
Sydney player attacks the head of a rival

VAR gives a yellow

What a joke

Jetmaster
07-05-2017, 07:09 PM
Fully expected this sort of shit to happen.

MFKS
07-05-2017, 07:10 PM
Fully expected this sort of shit to happen.

It a joke

It should not be used for that scuffle at all

When the refs miss it live and they used it afterwards

****ing joke

westjet
07-05-2017, 07:22 PM
Fox claiming that var didnt step in for holoskos yellow. Interesting then, because only other way gillet saw it was on the big screen because he wasnt doing anything about it until straight after that replay was shown.

belchardo
07-05-2017, 07:27 PM
Apparently the fourth official saw it. On the big screen.

Jetmaster
07-05-2017, 07:28 PM
He did not make the call till he got the word in the ear...the vision was clear.
Hmmmm.

MFKS
19-06-2017, 05:46 PM
Anyone catch the useless ****er in the Chile Cameroon game in the Confederations Cup??

Right on half time

Goal disallowed for off side by VAR

Joke

Jetmaster
19-06-2017, 06:26 PM
Totally agree...after saying how great it was for the first game Bridgey had to backtrack on the coverage.

The call was not an "obvious error", the video was not conclusive, and it took two minutes to flag it.

Kill it and kill it now...this will cause mayhem somewhere eventually.

MFKS
19-06-2017, 07:13 PM
Totally agree...after saying how great it was for the first game Bridgey had to backtrack on the coverage.

The call was not an "obvious error", the video was not conclusive, and it took two minutes to flag it.

Kill it and kill it now...this will cause mayhem somewhere eventually.

How good though was the reaction by Vidal though

Bloke has Mongrel

I actually hope we get a few more of these glaring **** ups with it

It be the best course of events to actually kill the ****er for good

parksey
19-06-2017, 07:51 PM
This is an absolute debacle of a product.

Should be dead and buried after the tournament.

hawk
20-06-2017, 11:49 PM
Needs to be permanent, knts going spare, rofl

goaliepersempre
21-06-2017, 12:49 AM
This is an absolute debacle of a product.

Should be dead and buried after the tournament.

Alot of bad media over here about it. Most commentary is against it in the current format.

Not shutting the door, but it needs to be drastically improved if it would prove viable.

Jeterpool
21-06-2017, 08:13 AM
Alot of bad media over here about it. Most commentary is against it in the current format.

Not shutting the door, but it needs to be drastically improved if it would prove viable.

Infantino says it's the future of football http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40335718

Bremsstrahlung
21-06-2017, 08:48 AM
I can see a lot more offsides being let go. With the idea that if you pull it up, that's it, play over, if you are wrong, you cost a team a goal. If it's close, and you let it go, they either score and it'll get reviewed or they don't score.
How many pens are gonna be given for holding in the penalty area at corner kicks?

I think the outcome is good. You're gonna get correct decisions more often. We have eliminated goal/no goal decisions with goal line technology. That's been reasonably flawless right? (Haven't heard of any blunders anyway). Though this technology only relates to objective data, did the whole ball cross the line wholly? Yes or no.

VAR offsides will be ok to get an answer imo. But I'm not sure the rest will work. Can't wait to see a penalty overturned or given after a review. You're branching into reviewing subjective decisions. The sports Video technology works well in with minimal uproar relates to objective data. Tennis and Cricket use the technology well and can confirm or alter decisions.
I'm not sure there's many sports that use Video Technology to assess subjective decisions, is it a foul, is it not, the rules and open to interpretation and that's somewhat the beauty of the game. Some referees will let play flow, some
Will call up everything. One referees opinion of holding may be different to another.

I guess as a whole we want Minimal impact on the game, quick decisions and we want game consistent decisions.
In my opinion, offsides leading directly to a goal should be able to be overturned (though will we see the attacking team be given more of an advantage by Assistant Referees).
I guess we want the game to continue. Keep playing.
Review goals after they are scored and waiting to kick off. There's a 30 second window. If play continues but a goal should be scored or there's a penalty or something, play on until the decision is made.

Jetmaster
21-06-2017, 09:00 AM
The future of football is money - end of. Alot of this rubbish going on is to get another US World Cup payday.

For 1994 they pushed for the personalised shirts. No real reason for it - at the ground you are usually too far away to see the names and on TV you get commentary. Along with stupid squad numbers it has contributed to increased sales in kit though by the millions.

The problems with VAR are yet to blow out - without VAR Chile's goal would have been given and there would have been minimal argument as the offside rule is meant to favour the attacking side if there is doubt. It was a goal, end of. The whole thing wasted time, sucked the life out of the players celebrations which looked silly when they decided to do it again and was totally confusing.

I am so waiting for the time in a big game when a penalty is not given and the defending team goes up the other end and scores before the review can be done.

As The Goodies predicted in one of their episodes by the 21st century (2001 and a bit) there will only be Rollerball left.

plague
21-06-2017, 09:50 AM
the last time y'all let everyone involved in a subjective decision making you ended up with President Trump.

Be careful what you wish for.

Video ref OUT.

Premy
21-06-2017, 10:53 AM
Simple fact is.
VAR doesn't get rid of the controversy surrounding dubious decision, it simply shifts it. It's what I've been saying to my mate all along. You only have to look at every other sport that has anything similar, the controversy is just shifted.

Let's just accepted that Referees make mistakes, sometimes it cost teams games. Players and Referees make mistakes every day, if any of these mistakes look like match fixing then launch an investigation into the incident.

Put VAR in the bin and lets move on, Goal line technology can stay.

Jeterpool
21-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Guardian Football Weekly podcast talks about VAR for the first 10 minutes or so. Not really in favour of it.

plague
21-06-2017, 11:36 AM
Simple fact is.
VAR doesn't get rid of the controversy surrounding dubious decision, it simply shifts it. It's what I've been saying to my mate all along. You only have to look at every other sport that has anything similar, the controversy is just shifted.

Let's just accepted that Referees make mistakes, sometimes it cost teams games. Players and Referees make mistakes every day, if any of these mistakes look like match fixing then launch an investigation into the incident.

This is 100% correct and right and it's what I would write except the bit about telling my mate because I have no friends.

Imyourhero
21-06-2017, 11:36 AM
I'm all for goal line technology but this VAR really gets to me. Yes a fractionally offside call might be picked up and a goal dissallowed, but is it worth the extra 20 minutes we just spent sitting twiddling our thumbs as players and spectators as reviews are made throughout the game? I'd rather cop the goal and get stuck in trying to equalise. Shit ref calls is all part of the passion and fun of football.

Jetmaster
21-06-2017, 11:46 AM
Simple fact is.

Should send you to tell that to Mark Bosnich and David Gallop!

The thing has only been around a few months and there is turmoil already. How many times do we hear commentators disagreeing on what they see on the video replay (Cockerill/Harper Johnny K handball is a good example). You will never get it right. Sport is based on the good profiting on the mistakes of the not so good. Let it be.

Bremsstrahlung
21-06-2017, 12:03 PM
Although there's controversy, is anybody complaining that correct calls are being made?
If it's the difference between losing a World Cup Final to an offside goal in the 90th minute, and having that goal overturned and on to extra time, would it be okay then?

The problem people have is the time it takes to get the decisions out and the stoppage to the game.
This is really the first competition worldwide that has had the technology being used, there's going to be teething issues but if we can find a way to improve it, without detracting from the game itself, then I don't think people would be opposed to it.

Premy
21-06-2017, 12:18 PM
Although there's controversy, is anybody complaining that correct calls are being made?
If it's the difference between losing a World Cup Final to an offside goal in the 90th minute, and having that goal overturned and on to extra time, would it be okay then?

The problem people have is the time it takes to get the decisions out and the stoppage to the game.
This is really the first competition worldwide that has had the technology being used, there's going to be teething issues but if we can find a way to improve it, without detracting from the game itself, then I don't think people would be opposed to it.

They said that there would be teething issues in every other sport that has anything similar when it's first introduced.
Guess what... They still have issues.
You want to know why? Because a human is still making the decision and that means there is always a chance of human error.
OMG, I know right shock horror, humans make errors.

Edit:
I don't know why they are per$i$ting with thi$ when we have $o many example$ in other $port$ of it not working.
Wait... Of cour$e I know why they are per$i$ting.

plague
21-06-2017, 12:35 PM

We've already been through this very scenario.

The Brisbane/Perth GF a few years back.
Berisha penalty in the 90th min.
First replays made it look like a dive, commentators lost their shit. if VAR was around prob would have been overturned.

Hour after the game another angle appears showing clear contact proving ref was right.

VAR would have cost Roar a win.

The tech is flawed.
The process is flawed.
Piss it off.

plague
21-06-2017, 12:48 PM
So then you want penalties reviewed, but a free kick 5 yards outside the box is or isn't reviewable? Because anywhere within 25 yards of goal Griff was 100% success rate they are just as important as penalties.

It's and endless list of decisions which can 'cost' a team a World Cup win. I just reackon the refs are overwhelmingly more accurate than people give them credit for. Let them do the damn job.

Jeterpool
21-06-2017, 12:48 PM
Imagine if the VAR was around when the Coasties thought they saw James Holland hand ball the corner.

Obviously it would have stood but there would hav ebeen nervous moments.

And Danny would have gone to Beijing.

I shudder at the thought

plague
21-06-2017, 01:01 PM
Imagine if the VAR was around when the Coasties thought they saw James Holland hand ball the corner.

I shudder at the thought

Yeah but Jedinak would have been sent by then for the 50 yellows he should have got.

Endless conjecture, just what the game needs.

Premy
21-06-2017, 01:02 PM

First replays made it look like a dive, commentators lost their shit. if VAR was around prob would have been overturned.

Hour after the game another angle appears showing clear contact proving ref was right.

The tech is flawed.
The process is flawed.
Piss it off.

You only have to look at the Neill V Grosso penalty.
Just speaking with a bloke I work with, he says no penalty Grosso went down to easy, I say penalty Neill made contact with the trailing leg.

Bremsstrahlung
21-06-2017, 01:07 PM
So then you want penalties reviewed, but a free kick 5 yards outside the box is or isn't reviewable? Because anywhere within 25 yards of goal Griff was 100% success rate they are just as important as penalties.

It's and endless list of decisions which can 'cost' a team a World Cup win. I just reackon the refs are overwhelmingly more accurate than people give them credit for. Let them do the damn job.

Well, that's it right?
You have people complaining that referees can't make decisions. Complaining that in the fast paced nature of the game, high risk games, a world of players trying to deceive the referee with diving, play acting and complaining. People complain that they are being tricked and making poor decisions. The world is quick to jump on referee decisions (jump on over and check out the gracious Membah in the NPL thread) and blame them for the games shortcomings. Technology has the ability to make a fool out of players who are making this somewhat neccessary.

lquiquer
21-06-2017, 01:22 PM

I shudder at the thought

And Griff would have been awarded the goal ....... The goal HE scored....Bridge pfffff!!!

Jeterpool
21-06-2017, 01:33 PM
Bridge pfffff!!!

Who?

belchardo
21-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Who?

the guy with weak ankles.

Jetmaster
21-06-2017, 02:23 PM

But they aren't, that's the point. The wrong call was made for the Chile goal as it was called correctly on the field and was not an obvious error.

Bremsstrahlung
21-06-2017, 02:50 PM
But they aren't, that's the point. The wrong call was made for the Chile goal as it was called correctly on the field and was not an obvious error.

You're saying he was onside?

Macca
21-06-2017, 03:47 PM
I assume he's saying that it was close enough to onside that it should be within the realm of benefit of the doubt to the attacking side. Perhaps for offsides they should establish a defined distance by which they need to be offside before an overrule is allowed, instead of hiding behind "obvious error/mistake". Its done for different reasons in cricket (precision of technology / margin of error) but its not dissimilar to the LBW review hawkeye system, where at least half the ball needs to be hitting the stumps to overrule an on-field decision that it was not hitting the stumps.

For arguments sake, say 0.5m of daylight between the last defender and the attacker.

plague
21-06-2017, 04:00 PM
Can anyone actually find a 'big game' that was decided by ref error?

We seem to be going through a hell of a lot of drama for something that doesn't ever really happen.

Grimario
21-06-2017, 04:01 PM
Can anyone actually find a 'big game' that was decided by ref error?

We seem to be going through a hell of a lot of drama for something that doesn't ever really happen.

France vs Ireland. Henry handball not given. WC qualifier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLUxMRYJAso

Bremsstrahlung
21-06-2017, 04:06 PM

Was literally just copying the URL....beat me.

plague
21-06-2017, 05:04 PM

Ok that's a good one.

So that's one.
Any others?

Grimario
21-06-2017, 05:18 PM
Ok that's a good one.

So that's one.
Any others?

Classic moving the goal posts strategy. "I challenge you to find even one game that would have made a difference"... "Okay, now found two".

Jetmaster
21-06-2017, 05:41 PM
1966 World Cup Final - I always say it bounced on the line but technology "designed by EA Sports" : says otherwise....that's where this crap will head.

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/article7117966.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Screen-Shot-2016-01-04-at-215851.jpg

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/article7117967.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Screen-Shot-2016-01-04-at-215900.jpg

plague
21-06-2017, 05:50 PM
Classic moving the goal posts strategy. "I challenge you to find even one game that would have made a difference"... "Okay, now found two".

Far from it. I was actually giving people a chance to strengthen the case for me because as of right now the instances of video technology being right are far outweighed by the instances of video technology not being right.

So you guys go die on that hill if you want but your one example won't win many fans.

plague
21-06-2017, 05:51 PM
1966 World Cup Final - I always say it bounced on the line but technology "designed by EA Sports" : says otherwise....that's where this crap will head.

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/article7117966.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Screen-Shot-2016-01-04-at-215851.jpg

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/article7117967.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Screen-Shot-2016-01-04-at-215900.jpg

Yeah but I think we're all good with goalline tech. So this one doesn't count.

Besides, the ref got it right yeah?

Grimario
21-06-2017, 05:52 PM
Far from it. I was actually giving people a chance to strengthen the case for me because as of right now the instances of video technology being right are far outweighed by the instances of video technology not being right.

So you guys go die on that hill if you want but your one example won't win many fans.

Oh, I am in favour of human error. As someone said earlier, all this does is move the human error from a guy in a fluro shirt on field to a guy in front of a screen.

plague
21-06-2017, 05:54 PM
Actually, back in Ye olden days when Aust drew (lost) the World Cup playoff at the MCG was it ever determined if the dude was (clearly) offside or were Aussie fans just crying?

StannyCFCJET
21-06-2017, 06:16 PM
Ok that's a good one.

So that's one.
Any others?

Chelsea vs Liverpool 2005 UCL quarter finals ball never crosses the line replays back this up. Goal given to liverpool and they progress to the final

MFKS
21-06-2017, 06:24 PM
Actually, back in Ye olden days when Aust drew (lost) the World Cup playoff at the MCG was it ever determined if the dude was (clearly) offside or were Aussie fans just crying?

First goal the bloke was offside

The second that night he was onside clear as

Just shit defending

MFKS
21-06-2017, 06:30 PM
I can see a lot more offsides being let go. With the idea that if you pull it up, that's it, play over, if you are wrong, you cost a team a goal. If it's close, and you let it go, they either score and it'll get reviewed or they don't score.
How many pens are gonna be given for holding in the penalty area at corner kicks?

I think the outcome is good. You're gonna get correct decisions more often. We have eliminated goal/no goal decisions with goal line technology. That's been reasonably flawless right? (Haven't heard of any blunders anyway). Though this technology only relates to objective data, did the whole ball cross the line wholly? Yes or no.

VAR offsides will be ok to get an answer imo. But I'm not sure the rest will work. Can't wait to see a penalty overturned or given after a review. You're branching into reviewing subjective decisions. The sports Video technology works well in with minimal uproar relates to objective data. Tennis and Cricket use the technology well and can confirm or alter decisions.
I'm not sure there's many sports that use Video Technology to assess subjective decisions, is it a foul, is it not, the rules and open to interpretation and that's somewhat the beauty of the game. Some referees will let play flow, some
Will call up everything. One referees opinion of holding may be different to another.

I guess as a whole we want Minimal impact on the game, quick decisions and we want game consistent decisions.
In my opinion, offsides leading directly to a goal should be able to be overturned (though will we see the attacking team be given more of an advantage by Assistant Referees).
I guess we want the game to continue. Keep playing.
Review goals after they are scored and waiting to kick off. There's a 30 second window. If play continues but a goal should be scored or there's a penalty or something, play on until the decision is made.

Disagree about other sports using it well

Cricket is a ****ing joke with Hawkeye

There are times the ball clearly missing or hitting stumps height or direction and this **** of a technology either shows it missing or hitting when to all and sundry it ain't

It amazing that the home side seems to get the benefit of arsey decisions

Guaranteed nailed on Aussies get the 50/50 calls in the Ashes this year

Let's not even go down the road of snicko and hot spot failing at times

Sure it may drag the occasional better decision out but it also fails at times

The only good use of technology in cricket was the 3rd umpire for runouts

After that it all ****ing down hill

Just as it going to be in football

Jeterpool
21-06-2017, 06:43 PM
Chelsea vs Liverpool 2005 UCL quarter finals ball never crosses the line replays back this up. Goal given to liverpool and they progress to the final

Nah ref got that right too

StannyCFCJET
21-06-2017, 07:47 PM
Nah ref got that right too

Wrong again and the painful thing is every one knows it. Credit for the performance in the final but the better team got shafted by the officials

plague
21-06-2017, 08:01 PM

Haha Jesus Christ you are the worst and best all at the same time.

Jeterpool
21-06-2017, 08:10 PM
Wrong again and the painful thing is every one knows it. Credit for the performance in the final but the better team got shafted by the officials

Nah

plague
21-06-2017, 10:02 PM

Jeez, have you got any proof of this theory?

StannyCFCJET
21-06-2017, 10:19 PM
Jeez, have you got any proof of this theory?
Yeah any replay of the "goal" from that game

plague
21-06-2017, 11:05 PM
Yeah any replay of the "goal" from that game

ok im currently researching but can i please ask one quick quetion.

Do you think Pele is a better player than Eden Hazard?

Legit question.

Please answer honestly.

StannyCFCJET
21-06-2017, 11:07 PM
ok im currently researching but can i please ask one quick quetion.

Do you think Pele is a better player than Eden Hazard?

Legit question.

Please answer honestly.

Hazard isnt world class Pele is Dumb Question

plague
21-06-2017, 11:08 PM
Hazard isnt world class Pele is Dumb Question

please prove it.

Ill wait.

Thanks,
Plague.

StannyCFCJET
21-06-2017, 11:13 PM
please prove it.

Ill wait.

Thanks,
Plague.

How do I know your the real Plauge?

Prove it?

plague
21-06-2017, 11:15 PM
How do I know your the real Plauge?

Prove it?

thank you for proving my point.

Cheers, your (not you're) friend Plague (not Plauge).

hawk
22-06-2017, 12:06 AM

The tech is flawed.
The process is flawed.
Piss it off.

No. VAR would have picked up the contact in 28 seconds and Pen stays. But.....

Main problem is.... was there enough contact to actually bring the player down. The ref or a reply will never know. Only the players will know but turns into a "he said she said" biatch fight.

This brings us to the number 2 problem why most Aussies wont follow the game*. Going down too easily with minimal/no contact which can often decide important games and looks terrible. VAR wont fix that. Until we fix that we will be No 4 in Oz but at least we'll get offsides correct.

* Number 1 - not directly attacking opps goal (backpasses)
**Number 3 - not enough big contact for bogans

Jetmaster
22-06-2017, 08:24 PM
Just watched Mexico v NZ....wtf was that in injury time? 4 mins wasted while the ref tried to listen to the VAR ref. Stop, start, check again.
Give a card, stop....run over to watch the screen on the sideline...give another yellow. Then another yellow.
Can someone explain why that was all necessary?

belchardo
22-06-2017, 11:47 PM
Just watched Mexico v NZ....wtf was that in injury time? 4 mins wasted while the ref tried to listen to the VAR ref. Stop, start, check again.
Give a card, stop....run over to watch the screen on the sideline...give another yellow. Then another yellow.
Can someone explain why that was all necessary?

see when they put in all the ads you won't notice any of that, you'll just want to buy a new hyundai.

belchardo
26-06-2017, 06:42 PM
this is working so well... http://www.theroar.com.au/tv/var-farce-as-referee-red-cards-the-wrong-player/

today's game was the first one i've watched fully and seen the VAR process in action. it's a stinker, and i wish they would just get rid of it.

hawk
26-06-2017, 07:07 PM
another happy customer. this thing keeps on giving :lulzturtle:

Jetmaster
27-06-2017, 09:06 AM
Refs are already relying on it rather that having the balls to stand by a call - umpires are only on cricket fields now to hold the bowlers cap.

I foresee two scenarios already that will cause mayhem - see if you can think of more.

* A penalty is not given and the defending team goes straight up the other end to score.
* A players goes in studs up in a 50/50 wins the ball then scores.

In both cases, say the ball does not go out of play and the goal isn't scored for 2-3 minutes after the event.

And the important question will there be a difference of how those incidents are judged based on whether it's the Jets or Real Madrid? I think they would.

MFKS
29-06-2017, 08:03 PM
Anyone see today's **** up in the Chile V Portuguese match??

Ref denies a cast iron penalty to Chile in the dying moments of ET

Then doesn't even use the VAR which would have seen the penalty awarded and more than likely game set and match Chile

****ing hopeless this thing is

Wilso8948
29-06-2017, 10:14 PM

Then doesn't even use the VAR which would have seen the penalty awarded and more than likely game set and match Chile

Yeh I did so does this mean the video ref can't get involved unless the field ref asks? So anything that's clearly missed by a ref that saw things differently won't be referred?

It's all ****ed up anyways

Jetmaster
30-06-2017, 09:02 AM
Yeh I did so does this mean the video ref can't get involved unless the field ref asks? So anything that's clearly missed by a ref that saw things differently won't be referred?

It's all ****ed up anyways

This is where I am confused. For the A-League the idea was the VAR ref would look at things and communicate if there was an error - the field ref just did as normal. Players were warned not to intimidate the ref as he couldn't refer. Only the Fox guys got excited about whether the VAR was being used.

Then in the GF the review was summoned and in the Confeds Cup it all appears to be referral with that stupid finger drawing gesture and one idiot going to the sideline to watch the replay. If this is the way it goes the players will be pestering the ref no matter what rule changes are made.

Like the NRL and cricket we'll get the "way of the future, just needs a bit of work" routine. Work that will be continuing for years as rules get adjusted to suit.

Bremsstrahlung
30-06-2017, 09:57 AM
I think the ref should officiate as normal.
The reviews should happen behind the scenes, and communicated to the referee if there is a problem. This would be the smoothest way. The technology, if used properly, could be helpful in theory, it's just making it work. This bullshit they fed us about 6 seconds or whatever to get a decision seems rubbish.
The red should carry on as per normal and not be able to "ask"/be told to review something.
Just say a goal is scored. There's a hint of offside. Referee should award the goal if that is his instinct and there was no flag. The review should take place while players celebrate and make their way to the kickoff. There's at least 60 seconds to review and call it back if neccessary with no impact on the game, except player emotions.
If a player is brought down and ref thinks penalty, award it, then while players set up for the penalty review it. Or if it is missed play continues, VAR reviews it and if it is a penalty play is brought back. It's doubtful a team would score within 20 seconds of a turned down penalty. If it was a dive, caution the player. This could help eliminate diving. And if it was a fair challenge it should either a corner/throw in if the ball went out or a drop ball from where the ball was when play is stopped.

They are just making a mess of it.
The whole yellow card/red card, should not happen. Referee saw incident and acted as he deemed appropriate.

Wilso8948
30-06-2017, 10:18 AM
The reviews should happen behind the scenes, and communicated to the referee if there is a problem. This would be the smoothest way. The technology, if used properly, could be helpful in theory, it's just making it work. This bullshit they fed us about 6 seconds or whatever to get a decision seems rubbish.
The red should carry on as per normal and not be able to "ask"/be told to review something.
Just say a goal is scored. There's a hint of offside. Referee should award the goal if that is his instinct and there was no flag. The review should take place while players celebrate and make their way to the kickoff. There's at least 60 seconds to review and call it back if neccessary with no impact on the game, except player emotions.
If a player is brought down and ref thinks penalty, award it, then while players set up for the penalty review it. Or if it is missed play continues, VAR reviews it and if it is a penalty play is brought back. It's doubtful a team would score within 20 seconds of a turned down penalty. If it was a dive, caution the player. This could help eliminate diving. And if it was a fair challenge it should either a corner/throw in if the ball went out or a drop ball from where the ball was when play is stopped.

The whole yellow card/red card, should not happen. Referee saw incident and acted as he deemed appropriate.

**** outta here with all your "logic"

Bremsstrahlung
30-06-2017, 10:58 AM
Sorry, i should know better. Sucker for punishment.

MFKS
30-06-2017, 11:40 AM

Disagree

The ref will then just coast through the game trying to leave it all to the VAR to deal with the **** ups

Much as the way cricket umps umpire in accordance with the referral system

The current system of not using the **** of a thing from the sideline is the best of 2 evils

Macca
30-06-2017, 11:47 AM
I see it the opposite way.. If the ref can review whatever he wants why bother making a decision, just pass it off for review and shed yourself of responsibility.

Unfortunately, them knowing that reviews are going on in the background will likely still impact how they referee the game slightly. Ideally you would want them to perform as normal.

I think reviews getting into the area of fouls and dives etc is dicey at best, the only people who really know are the two people involved, everyone else just makes an opinion based on what they've seen. As soon as you start looking at replays of tackles they always seem different and two different angles can suggest completely different scenarios despite being of the same incident. Slow-mo tends to alter the perception too. Unless its super clear-cut there should be no intervention from VAR in these cases.

Jetmaster
30-06-2017, 11:50 AM
From the Fox website two months ago...

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

The four match changing situations are:

a. Goals

b. Penalty / no penalty decisions

c. Direct red cards (not second yellow cards)

d. Mistaken identity

- The finals games, including the May 7 grand final, will have VAR.

- Once an error is relayed to a referee, he can change his decision.

- If it is still uncertain - like a red card - the main referee can view the incident on the touchline before confirming the ruling.

- Replays will be shown on the television broadcast and at stadiums once an assistant relays the information.

STEP 1

> Referee and VAR communicate that a decision should be reviewed

STEP 2

> VAR reviews footage and advises referee on the field what he sees

STEP 3

> referee accepts decision in the review OR

> the referee decides to review the footage himself on the side of the pitch to confirm decision

This bit about stopping and running to the sideline hasn't been mentioned often - I also note there is no mention of using it for offsides or yellow cards.

Clear as mud.

Bremsstrahlung
30-06-2017, 12:09 PM
Disagree

The ref will then just coast through the game trying to leave it all to the VAR to deal with the **** ups

Much as the way cricket umps umpire in accordance with the referral system

The current system of not using the **** of a thing from the sideline is the best of 2 evils

Will they? Do you see the future? That's rubbish that they won't make calls. The only thing I can see it impacting is close offsides.
Refs are making decisions still are they not? Then they do this hand gesture shit. They just need to Make their decision and it is reviewed behind the scenes.

monz6
30-06-2017, 01:44 PM
Will they? Do you see the future? That's rubbish that they won't make calls. The only thing I can see it impacting is close offsides.
Refs are making decisions still are they not? Then they do this hand gesture shit. They just need to Make their decision and it is reviewed behind the scenes.

You ask him does he see the future then you also go and make a statement on the future, just the opposite to his. Makes sense

Bremsstrahlung
30-06-2017, 02:29 PM
You ask him does he see the future then you also go and make a statement on the future, just the opposite to his. Makes sense

I don't get it?
I was asking if he saw the future?
Legit question.
Thanks for you productive response though. Look forward to the next

hawk
30-06-2017, 03:24 PM

No. It reinforces how fked the refs are. The VAR should override the asshole in the middle.

In fact its time for a holographic ref that bases all decisions from VAR.

Electronic lines all round, divers to get bans just like drug cheats, clock stops for injuries, free kicks & subs, Post game Video judiciaries blah blah blah

It wont fk the game either that died when diving started.

monz6
30-06-2017, 03:26 PM
I don't get it?
I was asking if he saw the future?
Legit question.
Thanks for you productive response though. Look forward to the next

I just think it's ridiculous to discredit someone's prediction by asking can they see the future, but then go and make a strong statement about the future yourself my friend. But carry on

Jeterpool
30-06-2017, 03:37 PM
I just think it's ridiculous to discredit someone's prediction by asking can they see the future, but then go and make a strong statement about the future yourself my friend. But carry on

You've been on this forum for almost 3 years, it's what keeps this joint going. That and the squadron funding it :rof:

Bremsstrahlung
30-06-2017, 03:38 PM

Have you read any of MFKS posts before? Bloke lives on that.
That's how forums work.

Do you have an opinion you'd like to contribute on the matter?

monz6
30-06-2017, 04:14 PM
Have you read any of MFKS posts before? Bloke lives on that.
That's how forums work.

Do you have an opinion you'd like to contribute on the matter?

Yeah I actually strongly agree with your point on the matter. I think refs will keep making decisions

westjet
14-08-2017, 09:56 PM
Another reason why the VAR should never be implemented.
http://www.sportbible.com/football/weird-news-watch-kaka-gets-sent-off-in-bizarre-fashion-during-mls-game-20170813

hawk
14-08-2017, 11:19 PM
Another reason why the VAR should never be implemented.
http://www.sportbible.com/football/weird-news-watch-kaka-gets-sent-off-in-bizarre-fashion-during-mls-game-20170813

Still human error. They should read the video better. VAR 4lyf

MFKS
14-10-2017, 09:34 PM
So VAR **** up number 5000

Rhys Williams tackle on Malik tonight

Ref sees it live

Calls foul they have some Argy bargy as the natives get restless etc

Why exactly is the VAR involved??

The ref spotted the initial incident. He just hadn't ruled on it with the card which probably should have been red

So he goes to the VAR

The sideline clown sees a foul and a yellow is forthcoming.

Exactly why is the sideline clown involved and why wasn't the **** knuckle with the whistle making the decision??

Grimario
15-10-2017, 11:53 AM
Because McDonald's paid good money to sponsor the VAR.

belchardo
15-10-2017, 01:43 PM
at the very least, i noticed that they are now putting a graphic next to the score/time watermark indicating that a review is underway. that is an improvement in my opinion.

Jetmaster
15-10-2017, 02:31 PM
at the very least, i noticed that they are now putting a graphic next to the score/time watermark indicating that a review is underway. that is an improvement in my opinion.

No its not - the whole VAR thing was supposed to be seamless and behind the scenes - now it is part of the match buildup (announced on the screen), talked about all game coverage and now screen graphics with lights and sponsorship crap.

Last night just should have been a red and the VAR could have then checked if that was the right call or not. That could have stopped the little brawl to start with but we already starting to see refs lose confidence and look to the VAR.

Simon Hill hates it and only mentions it when necessary but Brenton Speed is like a puppy with a new toy.

MFKS
21-10-2017, 09:37 PM
That is the killer on VAR

Devonhead goes down as he stops feels some contact and falls to the ground

VAR upholds it

FMD

idontwannaplaywithhowey
21-10-2017, 09:55 PM

VAR upholds it

FMD

Because it was a penalty.

idontwannaplaywithhowey
21-10-2017, 09:58 PM
No its not - the whole VAR thing was supposed to be seamless and behind the scenes - now it is part of the match buildup (announced on the screen), talked about all game coverage and now screen graphics with lights and sponsorship crap.

Last night just should have been a red and the VAR could have then checked if that was the right call or not. That could have stopped the little brawl to start with but we already starting to see refs lose confidence and look to the VAR.

Simon Hill hates it and only mentions it when necessary but Brenton Speed is like a puppy with a new toy.

Agreed. Ref's are second guessing themselves and it will impact their control in the fuller context of a game, not just on those VAR related decisions.

plague
21-10-2017, 10:00 PM

VAR upholds it

FMD

well if anything it explains the uselessness of the thing.

if ref calls a penalty, VAR has no reason to overrule it.
if ref says no penalty, VAR doesnt have irrefutable proof of an error to be able to overrule it.

ergo: VAR is useless.

leftrightout
21-10-2017, 10:01 PM
Because it was a penalty.

But it isn't a penalty because MFKS can't get past person issues he has with Carney to recognise that it is.

MFKS
21-10-2017, 10:18 PM
But it isn't a penalty because MFKS can't get past person issues he has with Carney to recognise that it is.

That was never a penalty. Carney moved towards Herd and made contact occur

Call it for what it was a dive

If that was a foreigner doing that people are up in arms about it

But because it an Aussie it apparently ok and intelligent play etc

I will point something out to you Herd never made a challenge on Carney

Being that is the case it isn't a foul

leftrightout
21-10-2017, 10:41 PM
That was never a penalty. Carney moved towards Herd and made contact occur

Call it for what it was a dive

If that was a foreigner doing that people are up in arms about it

But because it an Aussie it apparently ok and intelligent play etc

I will point something out to you Herd never made a challenge on Carney

Being that is the case it isn't a foul

I am not going to bother challenging your opinion there... it was a foul and so was penalty in my opinion!

MFKS
21-10-2017, 11:39 PM
I am not going to bother challenging your opinion there... it was a foul and so was penalty in my opinion!

Carney's first contact is to raise his elbow up and make contact with Herds face

He then somehow loses balance from this and falls over

Go watch the replay

It what happened

WolfMan
21-10-2017, 11:59 PM
I agree with MFKS. Not a penalty for me, but can see why it’s been given.

The VAR probably saw it the same, not a glaring mistake so can’t change the decision.

VAR is useless though, see how long it held up a corner being taken? Piss it off FFS

hawk
22-10-2017, 01:01 AM
Carney dive, he loves that sh1t.

MFKS
22-10-2017, 07:09 PM
Good work today on Jade North hand ball

Meant to fix obvious errors hey??

Case closed

Bin the shite now

MFKS
22-10-2017, 07:39 PM
Still hate the thing even though it just saved our arse

plague
22-10-2017, 07:40 PM
At least Boogaard is good at VAR.

idontwannaplaywithhowey
22-10-2017, 07:40 PM
Still hate the thing even though it just saved our arse

100% agree.
Would much rather some wrong calls than that business.

hawk
22-10-2017, 08:02 PM
Shouldve been way quicker. Got it right though, how tragic

Jetmaster
22-10-2017, 08:31 PM
Previously someone might have had a whinge but on the whole not much would have happened other than a goal given.
VAR causes pandemonium and ill feeling. Can see something really bad happening down the track, especially in the big leagues.

MFKS
22-10-2017, 08:39 PM
Previously someone might have had a whinge but on the whole not much would have happened other than a goal given.
VAR causes pandemonium and ill feeling. Can see something really bad happening down the track, especially in the big leagues.

What about off the park amongst fans??

All good and well winding ****s up on twitter you never met but how many fans going to give the big ones to rival fans in person on the back of VAR farcical decision ??

What happens then when some **** gets killed ??

Basically all it is doing is ****ing something else that didn't need un**** in the first place

Football is not fair or perfect
It though is a reflection on life though
Not fair or perfect and you don't necessarily get justice for your efforts

Premy
23-10-2017, 07:42 AM
Just get rid off this shit already.

Bremsstrahlung
23-10-2017, 08:18 AM
Reviewing everything is a bit of a disaster.
I think it can serve a purpose in the game. The whole point is to overrule obvious errors (much the same as the cricket or tennis) but as we have seen with those sports, things are being referred and overturned due to very fine margins. I wouldn’t want to see that happen.
Unfortunately, when you only overturn obvious errors, there’s a lot of subjectivity in what is an “obvious” error. The handball was one of those 60/40s where ref probably deemed unintentional and unavoidable and is therefore not an obvious error. Maybe a small error instead.

I think each team should be given 1, or 2 challenges. A captain or coach should be able to ask for a review when the ball goes out next, prior to restart of play.

We would be here today complaining about how there was an offside in the buildup to a goal we Conceded. It should be used sparingly, not after every incident.

Jetmaster
23-10-2017, 09:17 AM
I say no to "challenges" - that has ruined cricket as it is used as a tactic and not to stop the "howler". The last 5 minutes of a game would be madness as there maybe a couple of "challenges" left, and in a tight game there will be appeals for the most innocent thing.

I always thought the idea was to just play the game and ref as normal. If something obvious has been missed sure, call it back. You don't need the on field ref involved and you don't need to stop the game.

I pray I'm watching that moment when a certain penalty is disallowed and the defending team runs up the other end and scores.

BTW, I hate the comeback I have now heard Bozza, Slater and Peacock say when they hear dissent about the VAR - "it's here to stay".

It should be used sparingly, not after every incident.

Agree but as I said earlier now Fox has embraced the concept and they have Maccas sponsoring it (!?) it will be used more and more - wouldn't be half surprised if Maccas have demanded a quota.

plague
23-10-2017, 10:11 AM
We would be here today complaining about how there was an offside in the buildup
to a goal we Conceded.

This used to be my thought process as well but last week was a good example to change my mind.

It was mentioned on here (maybe in 3 comments?) that a Perth player was offside in the lead up to Perth’s first goal.

It didn’t even stir much of a discussion (from the fans who were ‘wronged’) and I didn’t give 2 shits about it and don’t even go back and look to see if it was true.

I just kind of thought ‘oh well we copped a bad decision’ and moved on.

I think there’s a lot of fans who think the same way.

To be fair though I’d it was a ‘big’ team that copped the bad call the media would have run with it.

belchardo
27-10-2017, 09:46 PM
4 minutes to decide the second penalty.

only 3 minutes additional time, despite two injuries as well.

go figure.

hawk
27-10-2017, 11:44 PM
4 minutes to decide the second penalty.

only 3 minutes additional time, despite two injuries as well.

go figure.

Time off for VAR is essential

MFKS
28-10-2017, 09:30 AM
So far what are Sydney with VAR calls 100% in their favour??

Aren't they also the team benefitiing the most in just sheer volume ???

FFA and their bias towards them is becoming a joke really

VAR is sky blue

Jetmaster
28-10-2017, 08:30 PM
Stick your VAR love Bozza...this is not improving things and "teething troubles" is no excuse after 6 months.
Players and fans screaming for video reviews...VAR delays when there is no reason to review...this is just f****** up the game.

Bremsstrahlung
30-10-2017, 11:11 AM
Quick question:
Hypothetically, let’s say the referee didn’t blow his whistle a split second before Nabbout scored the offside goal. Linesman raised flag, Nabbout scores, ref blows whistle for offside.
Can that be reviewed?
I read a Q and A with Howard Webb about the MLS VAR and he basically said that players must play to the whistle and not the flag. Which has been the way for years. But I think it’s an interesting the way VAR has changed the way the game is played. In the above scenario. If it was reviewed and deemed he was onside, the goal would be awarded.

For those watching at home, was anything reviewed in our game?

Jetmaster
30-10-2017, 12:10 PM
What if he is flagged for offside and the whistle goes, he continues anyway (like Ali Abbas probably could have done last week), scores and then gets booked for not stopping for the whistle. Replay shows he was onside?

So many permutations yet to come under the VAR microscope but again just shows that it cannot be foolproof.

The simple question is has this reduced the controversies - no, it has increased them. All we need is a seriously dodgy one to go against the Smurfs and like Kossie said "we can throw it in the bin". I did note last night that Bozza did not respond to that comment.

MFKS
30-10-2017, 01:20 PM
Irony is though why weren't they booked though ??

Is it any different than King Vuj getting booked yesterday for playing the pass after giving a hand ball up??

All he did was kick the ball away there and Beath carded him

Technically he was playing the whistle etc

baldrick
30-10-2017, 01:43 PM
What if he is flagged for offside and the whistle goes, he continues anyway (like Ali Abbas probably could have done last week), scores and then gets booked for not stopping for the whistle. Replay shows he was onside?

So many permutations yet to come under the VAR microscope but again just shows that it cannot be foolproof.

The simple question is has this reduced the controversies - no, it has increased them. All we need is a seriously dodgy one to go against the Smurfs and like Kossie said "we can throw it in the bin". I did note last night that Bozza did not respond to that comment.

I looked up the rules for VAR in A league games:

https://www.myfootball.com.au/news/hyundai-a-league-vars-what-you-need-know

WHAT CAN THE VAR RULE ON?

The VAR can rule on four different categories of "key match incidents"…

Goals

Did the ball cross the line, was there a foul or an offside missed in the build-up to the goal or did the ball go out of play in the build-up?

Penalty incidents

Was a foul committed inside or outside the penalty area, has a penalty been missed or has one been wrongly awarded?

Direct red cards

Was a potential send-off missed or was a red card wrongly issued?

Mistaken identity

Was a yellow or red card awarded to the wrong player?

belchardo
30-10-2017, 02:05 PM
Quick question:
Hypothetically, let’s say the referee didn’t blow his whistle a split second before Nabbout scored the offside goal. Linesman raised flag, Nabbout scores, ref blows whistle for offside.
Can that be reviewed?
I read a Q and A with Howard Webb about the MLS VAR and he basically said that players must play to the whistle and not the flag. Which has been the way for years. But I think it’s an interesting the way VAR has changed the way the game is played. In the above scenario. If it was reviewed and deemed he was onside, the goal would be awarded.

For those watching at home, was anything reviewed in our game?

yeah, there was a challenge by herd on nabbout i think that got reviewed, even though the ref had a clear line of sight and was only a few metres away.

StannyCFCJET
30-10-2017, 02:48 PM
yeah, there was a challenge by herd on nabbout i think that got reviewed, even though the ref had a clear line of sight and was only a few metres away.

Welcome to the NRL where the Refs are right in front but go to the video because then if its the wrong call well its the video refs fault not mine.

Jetmaster
30-10-2017, 03:21 PM
...or like in cricket when 1 or 2 umpires were openly criticised for giving runouts confidently by their own judgement and not referring.

hawk
12-11-2017, 09:58 PM
This thread has fallen way too far down.

btw why does the ref have to go to the sideline to look at something the video ref has already seen and deemed as a fk up.

Just overrule the joke in the middle and speed it up.

MFKS
12-11-2017, 10:25 PM
This thread has fallen way too far down.

btw why does the ref have to go to the sideline to look at something the video ref has already seen and deemed as a fk up.

Just overrule the joke in the middle and speed it up.

I assuming you talking about the Heart penalty tonight ??

Thought it was pretty clear cut and cant believe the clown with the whistle didn't give it straight away

It wasn't even really a grey area pen either

Pretty clear cut from my lounge room

plague
12-11-2017, 10:55 PM
Thought it was pretty clear cut and cant believe the clown with the whistle didn't give it straight away

yeah this is the bigger point than VAR.

How did the ref and touchy miss that?

woeful.

WolfMan
13-11-2017, 06:58 AM
yeah this is the bigger point than VAR.

How did the ref and touchy miss that?

woeful.

Perhaps they didn’t miss it, and the perceived safety net of the VAR means they don’t make decisions anymore.

A-League is now the Summer NRL, more refs, less decisions

belchardo
13-11-2017, 07:36 AM
Perhaps they didn’t miss it, and the perceived safety net of the VAR means they don’t make decisions anymore.

the kiwi commentators at one point yesterday said words to the effect of "don't put your flag up for an offside call and let the VAR sort it out in the aftermath". WTF?

also, several times the pheonix crowd could be heard loudly chanting for the VAR to intervene. yeah, this is what we want in football.

WolfMan
13-11-2017, 01:00 PM
the kiwi commentators at one point yesterday said words to the effect of "don't put your flag up for an offside call and let the VAR sort it out in the aftermath". WTF?

also, several times the pheonix crowd could be heard loudly chanting for the VAR to intervene. yeah, this is what we want in football.

Disgraceful. I live in hope we can look back at this and see it as a dark blot on a largely bright history. My fear is that it is the new normal

hawk
13-11-2017, 10:01 PM

What came first; bad decisions by refs or the frustrated crowds yelling at cheating refs?

belchardo
24-11-2017, 09:37 PM
VAR to the rescue again.

i think a red is harsh, but i can see why they gave it.

belchardo
24-11-2017, 09:39 PM
plus side, no malik next week!

Bremsstrahlung
25-11-2017, 08:35 AM
Rough call.
What happened to that whole directive about penalties and red/yellow cards?
I don’t think the tackle was horrendously bad. Contact points weren’t great but I thi I it was a legitimate attempt on the ball.
Wonder if Milligan red card got reviewed?
How often to you see players size each their up and come together to a yellow or a stern chat.

halo se7en
25-11-2017, 09:10 AM
Rough call.
What happened to that whole directive about penalties and red/yellow cards?
I don’t think the tackle was horrendously bad. Contact points weren’t great but I thi I it was a legitimate attempt on the ball.
Wonder if Milligan red card got reviewed?
How often to you see players size each their up and come together to a yellow or a stern chat.

For Milligan, it did say up on the screen there was a VAR review while he was waking off the field.

The Dunster
25-11-2017, 09:21 AM
As soon as Milligan made contact with DG leading with his head the ref had no choice but to show him the red. Milligan must have thought for a second there he was Alex Brosque and immune to being sent off.

belchardo
25-11-2017, 09:33 AM
As soon as Milligan made contact with DG leading with his head the ref had no choice but to show him the red. Milligan must have thought for a second there he was Alex Brosque and immune to being sent off.

:rof:

hawk
25-11-2017, 10:06 AM
Malik ripped right off. Maybe only just a pen, never red.

The people operating this need to be better and not scared of sydney

westjet
25-11-2017, 11:29 AM
I dont get why they call the ref over to make a decision. Commentators said last night that the ref made the call after viewing. If we are going to use such a pointless system make the var make the call and get on with the game. Not review it then get the ref to review it and make a decision.

belchardo
25-11-2017, 11:30 AM
i don't really have a problem with the red card. it was tough, yes, but it was late, he slid in studs up, he got him.

i can't remember anything in the rules about "intent to injure" being required for a red. players should be more careful, tackles like that can end careers.

belchardo
25-11-2017, 11:31 AM
I dont get why they call the ref over to make a decision. Commentators said last night that the ref made the call after viewing. If we are going to use such a pointless system make the var make the call and get on with the game. Not review it then get the ref to review it and make a decision.

i assume it is required to make sure that the on-field ref still has the greatest authority.

plus, it's what the NFL does, and everything American sport related is the best ever.

Jetmaster
25-11-2017, 01:49 PM
Watching the replay and hearing Speedy yelling out "they have to look at that on the Maccas VAR surely".

It was meant to be seamless but its being constantly referred about.

WolfMan
25-11-2017, 02:53 PM
Watching the replay and hearing Speedy yelling out "they have to look at that on the Maccas VAR surely".

It was meant to be seamless but its being constantly referred about.

Yeh he is terrible for it too. I’d imagine Maccas want some sort of return for their investment.

Simon Hill has mentioned on podcasts that they might as well draw “the Golden Arches” in the air instead of the 3rd umpire style box

hawk
25-11-2017, 03:31 PM
i don't really have a problem with the red card. it was tough, yes, but it was late, he slid in studs up, he got him.

i can't remember anything in the rules about "intent to injure" being required for a red. players should be more careful, tackles like that can end careers.

no way.

The initial lunge was at the ball and the opposing player was sliding into a position where his feet were going. That tackle was ending nothing

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/aleague-melbourne-city-v-perth-glory-video-highlights-osama-malik-sent-off-after-var-review/news-story/8ae5c3f36af96a04012813b84bb57067

lquiquer
25-11-2017, 09:13 PM
What about that VAR Member?.... FFS... #SFCKhunts

The Dunster
25-11-2017, 10:21 PM
Roar handball accidently and concede a penalty. Sfc handball 4 times so far and ref is yet to blow whistle. Then you have sfc chopping down players and again ni whistle. Roar on the other hand get penalised for minimal contact.
Can'tvwait to beat these khunts in thre finals

Jetmaster
25-11-2017, 10:38 PM
How long did it take to make that send off decision? 5 minutes?

Let's see how much stoppage time we get.

boz-monaut
25-11-2017, 10:40 PM
yep, five full minutes and they didn't seem to look at the angle that showed the gob didn't land on the ****

who here wouldn't gob on Matt Simon if you ever got within gobbing distance

plague
25-11-2017, 10:56 PM
Matt Simon if you ever got within gobbing distance

gobbing distance meaning you're either in a crack den or a centrelink office yeah?

MFKS
26-11-2017, 01:22 AM
What about that VAR Member?.... FFS... #SFCKhunts

Out of the country still

Ain't wasting time watching the Smurfs play

MFKS
26-11-2017, 01:23 AM
Roar handball accidently and concede a penalty. Sfc handball 4 times so far and ref is yet to blow whistle. Then you have sfc chopping down players and again ni whistle. Roar on the other hand get penalised for minimal contact.
Can'tvwait to beat these khunts in thre finals

Love the bit how you said finals and we not even taking the piss

It just an automated acceptance that it will occur

Ohh how times have changed

Jetmaster
26-11-2017, 08:36 PM
This is getting ridiculous....and is causing more grief and anger than no VAR. Pen given way after play has carried on and why the red card for handball like that?

Kudos to Simon Hill for calling to end the whole charade.

westjet
26-11-2017, 08:55 PM
Whats the point of having the ****ed system when they still allow a goal to stand from a clear offside. Just get rid of it ffs.

belchardo
26-11-2017, 09:12 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CiK_y9JWsAE1eAH.jpg

belchardo
26-11-2017, 09:15 PM
where are WSW sitting on the list of FFA's favourite teams? tonight might be enough to kill the concept.

no wait, hang on, they've already got a sponsor, so it's probably here all season.*

* until it costs sydney a game of course

Jetmaster
26-11-2017, 10:00 PM
Whats the point of having the ****ed system when they still allow a goal to stand from a clear offside. Just get rid of it ffs.

The second review was a half arsed effort....as if they thought they'd wasted enough time.

Jetmaster
26-11-2017, 10:56 PM
Kossie on the attack.....Bozza spouting excuses....."its here to stay"....ffs

WolfMan
27-11-2017, 08:01 AM
Hill has been a vocal objector before its introduction (rightly so IMHO). And as for Bozza, it’s not “here to stay”. It’s a trial, and one that I think most people would agree has been a failure.

Jeterpool
27-11-2017, 09:02 AM
Hill has been a vocal objector before its introduction (rightly so IMHO). And as for Bozza, it’s not “here to stay”. It’s a trial, and one that I think most people would agree has been a failure.

Is it still a trial?

And with sponsors on board, it will be here to stay

Wilso8948
27-11-2017, 09:22 AM
It's a stain on society. **** it off!

Tommyjet
27-11-2017, 10:05 AM
As possibly controversial as it sounds, given their overall ineptness, I'd prefer to see an extra ref in each penalty box and piss off the tech.

belchardo
27-11-2017, 11:24 AM
why not do something amazing like take the money we're wasting on this process and pay refs enough to go full time?

Jetmaster
27-11-2017, 11:53 AM
Kossie made a great point....A-League refs know the rules but don't really "know the game" - interpreting what should be a red or a yellow or a sharp warning. Most of them act like they just want to interpret the rules exactly and think that will be right. As Ned said at the same time the interpretations are totally screwing the system.

I still can't see why Cornflakes got sent for deliberate handball in that situation.

The VAR was supposed to work in the background to right the howlers, as expected the refs are moving to it rather than having balls and we are going down the cricket path.

Jeterpool
27-11-2017, 12:25 PM
Kossie made a great point....A-League refs know the rules but don't really "know the game" - interpreting what should be a red or a yellow or a sharp warning. Most of them act like they just want to interpret the rules exactly and think that will be right. As Ned said at the same time the interpretations are totally screwing the system.

I still can't see why Cornflakes got sent for deliberate handball in that situation.

Th VAR was supposed to work in the background to right the howlers, as expected the refs are moving to it rather than having balls and we are going down the cricket path.

Great post.

MFKS
27-11-2017, 07:11 PM
why not do something amazing like take the money we're wasting on this process and pay refs enough to go full time?
Exactly how is paying these cunce going to result in better refs???

Gillette Beath and co still be just as useless with extra money in their bank account each week

How about poaching 2-3 refs from elsewhere around the world . Bring them here and make the local jamokes improve

hawk
27-11-2017, 07:17 PM

becasue refs will always be sh1t and the VAR is run by refs...10 got 20, 20 goto 10

parksey
27-11-2017, 07:28 PM
As long as humans are refereeing football games, on or off the field, we will never have 100% perfect decisions every game. That's why this doesn't work and should be scrapped immediately.

It is killing the game. I think many of us can live with a wrong referee call made in the heat of the moment, but when you're sitting through 5 minutes of replays just so the VAR can make a bad call anyway it's a disaster. It's still a person watching a video and making a call based on perception and opinion.

This isn't tennis where the rulings are clear cut - in or out. The only thing we should seriously consider using video technology for is when a goal is awarded: did it cross the line, were they offside, etc. and even then I'm only really backing the former consideration. I'm not even in favour of overturning bookings or penalty calls.

Bozza can do one as far as I'm concerned. He has no idea.

plague
27-11-2017, 08:13 PM
Is it still a trial?

they just said everything will be reassesed in March, with the FFA saying one option is to get rid of it.

baldrick
27-11-2017, 08:14 PM
As long as humans are refereeing football games, on or off the field, we will never have 100% perfect decisions every game. That's why this doesn't work and should be scrapped immediately.

It is killing the game. I think many of us can live with a wrong referee call made in the heat of the moment, but when you're sitting through 5 minutes of replays just so the VAR can make a bad call anyway it's a disaster. It's still a person watching a video and making a call based on perception and opinion.

This isn't tennis where the rulings are clear cut - in or out. The only thing we should seriously consider using video technology for is when a goal is awarded: did it cross the line, were they offside, etc. and even then I'm only really backing the former consideration. I'm not even in favour of overturning bookings or penalty calls.

Bozza can do one as far as I'm concerned. He has no idea.

Well said mate.

belchardo
27-11-2017, 08:28 PM
The only thing we should seriously consider using video technology for is when a goal is awarded: did it cross the line

i wonder if it could easily be extended to determine if a ball crossed any line (goal line, byline, sideline etc). probably not, how would you know if a ball 15m in the air crossed the line?

Jetmaster
27-11-2017, 08:35 PM
Parkesy is right....whenever you cop a dodgy decision you don't really confirm it is dodgy till after the game when emotions have cooled. You still have the shits but it is gone and you move on. With VAR the confusion and anger are real and palpable and I can see someone taking a swing in frustration before long. It has not reduced controversy, only increased it - when did you last see a weekend with this much controversy in one hit?

How come for years in the A-League, controversial incidents have been censored on the big screen at games for fear of causing trouble in the crowd but suddenly now it is a free for all?

And look at history - how different would the football world be if Hurst's goal was disallowed, Maradona was sent off for deliberate handball.....or the Gypos were awarded a penalty in the 2008 GF.

plague
27-11-2017, 09:16 PM
How come for years in the A-League, controversial incidents have been censored on the big screen at games for fear of causing trouble in the crowd but suddenly now it is a free for all?

hahaha this is a great point.

MFKS
27-11-2017, 10:20 PM
they just said everything will be reassesed in March, with the FFA saying one option is to get rid of it.

Same cunce who about to get turfed out by the end of the week when they can't sort this reform out because the state feds won't back down ??

Mate come March the new world order running the game will have other shit on

This VAR shit will just keep going on and on

I hate the thing but it ****ing here to stay

WolfMan
28-11-2017, 07:18 AM
Same cunce who about to get turfed out by the end of the week when they can't sort this reform out because the state feds won't back down ??

Mate come March the new world order running the game will have other shit on

This VAR shit will just keep going on and on

I hate the thing but it ****ing here to stay

From a Fox Sports article quoting Ben Wilson (head of clowns/referees in Australia) -
the A-League is committed to seeing the trial through until FIFA and IFAB, the International Football Association Board that governs the rules of the game, makes a call on the trial in March 2018, which will include a decision on if it will be used at the World Cup.

Jeterpool
28-11-2017, 08:48 AM
From a Fox Sports article quoting Ben Wilson (head of clowns/referees in Australia) -

The same guy said on the Fox Football podcast it has only been involved in reviewing 9 decisions in 39 matches so far.

If that's the case, why is it continuously showing "Macca's VAR Check" in the top corner every time there is a decision to be made?

I think I just answered my own que$tion.

WolfMan
28-11-2017, 09:25 AM
The same guy said on the Fox Football podcast it has only been involved in reviewing 9 decisions in 39 matches so far.

If that's the case, why is it continuously showing "Macca's VAR Check" in the top corner every time there is a decision to be made?

I think I just answered my own que$tion.

Yeh I saw that too. Must mean when the decision is actually overturned or reviewed further on the Maccas iPad, presented by Coca-Cola Amatil, in assosciation with Kraft

halo se7en
28-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Parkesy is right....whenever you cop a dodgy decision you don't really confirm it is dodgy till after the game when emotions have cooled. You still have the shits but it is gone and you move on. With VAR the confusion and anger are real and palpable and I can see someone taking a swing in frustration before long. It has not reduced controversy, only increased it - when did you last see a weekend with this much controversy in one hit?

Good point. Even though I was stoked with Maccarone's disallowed goal against us up in Brissy, I don't think anyone would have known he was offside because it happened well before the goal. All it did was cause controversy when we would have been none the wiser - then you have the issue that if someone is offside in the lead up to a corner, and they score off the corner what's the difference? Can of worms etc..

Jetmaster
28-11-2017, 05:54 PM
What would have happened the other day if while the VAR was running its check on the handball, Adelaide then scored from the attack they subsequently launched (ended up being a corner)?

Would the ref then have to go back to the original incident and call the penalty - if they want to be anal about it they should, if not what would have happened to Cornflakes?

There are so many scenarios that are to be played out over the coming years if this thing stays.

WolfMan
28-11-2017, 06:05 PM
What would have happened the other day if while the VAR was running its check on the handball, Adelaide then scored from the attack they subsequently launched (ended up being a corner)?

Would the ref then have to go back to the original incident and call the penalty - if they want to be anal about it they should, if not what would have happened to Cornflakes?

There are so many scenarios that are to be played out over the coming years if this thing stays.

That’s already happened. Dutch Cup Final

https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/40843317

Jetmaster
28-11-2017, 06:18 PM
Only difference I was thinking was what if the same team had the pen turned down and then got the goal?

WolfMan
28-11-2017, 06:46 PM
Only difference I was thinking was what if the same team had the pen turned down and then got the goal?

My mistake. Missed that detail

turbojetfireV8
28-11-2017, 09:26 PM
Bert adds his opinion
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/5087805/merrick-expects-var-to-remain/?cs=4783

turbojetfireV8
28-11-2017, 09:30 PM
Good point. Even though I was stoked with Maccarone's disallowed goal against us up in Brissy, I don't think anyone would have known he was offside because it happened well before the goal. All it did was cause controversy when we would have been none the wiser - then you have the issue that if someone is offside in the lead up to a corner, and they score off the corner what's the difference? Can of worms etc..

dumb question time - does the ref have to initiate it or can the VAR intervene whenever it feels like something has been missed?

belchardo
28-11-2017, 09:31 PM
dumb question time - does the ref have to initiate it or can the VAR intervene whenever it feels like something has been missed?

think the VAR has a look and alerts the ref if they think there is something there.

halo se7en
28-11-2017, 10:31 PM
think the VAR has a look and alerts the ref if they think there is something there.

Yeah I don’t imagine the ref had any idea about Maccarone’s offside to even ask the question.

baldrick
29-11-2017, 07:24 AM
We're not the only ones who don't like it.

BUNDESLIGA fans are demanding the end of video assistant referee (VAR) testing in Germany as the system’s German league chief was replaced on Monday amidst accusations of influencing matches.

The VAR is being trialled this season in Italy and Germany with football’s governing body FIFA yet to decide whether it will be used at June’s World Cup in Russia.

In Germany, the VAR experiment has sparked controversy and debate with ‘Cologne’ - the centre where all scenes are reviewed - widely blamed for unfavourable rulings and a byword for a place where bad decisions are made.

Judging by fans’ banners at top-flight grounds around Germany at the weekend, most supporters want VAR scrapped immediately.

On Monday, magazine Kicker ran the headline “Only Losers: Irritation, sanctions, wrong decisions” on it’s cover next to an image of a referee showing a red card.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/bundesliga/german-video-assistant-referee-chief-hellmut-krug-sacked-over-matchfixing-allegations/news-story/a1aba5229112b57fe0580d3b702d013e

Jetmaster
15-12-2017, 10:03 PM
VAR makes the decision that was obvious to everyone but the timid officials.

belchardo
15-12-2017, 10:35 PM
CANNoT. MAKE. THIS. SHIT. UP.

halo se7en
16-12-2017, 07:54 PM
Thank you VAR. Linesman called offside but for ref to check. Would have been ruled out without video.

MFKS
16-12-2017, 08:37 PM
How good is VAR ??

Twitter in meltdown

Ohh how good to be on the right side of it

Now we know what it likes to support the Smurfs

plague
16-12-2017, 10:20 PM
VAR 2 from 2 tonight.

best thing in football since the ball.

boz-monaut
16-12-2017, 10:35 PM
make that 3 from 3

deadset best thing to happen since the invention of television

bring on AI referees

westjet
16-12-2017, 10:36 PM
Cant wait to hear Bosnichs defence of those decisions.

plague
16-12-2017, 10:37 PM
make that 3 from 3

deadset best thing to happen since the invention of television

bring on AI referees

im ready to submit to our new computerised overlords.
for they are wise.

plague
16-12-2017, 10:39 PM
Cant wait to hear Bosnichs defence of those decisions.

so one in favour of the Jets (who he hates),
then 2 against his gypos (who he loves).

real estate agents and used car salesmen everywhere are tuning in to learn a lesson in masterclass bullshit coming up........

Jetmaster
16-12-2017, 10:44 PM
Bozza did try to justify ours by saying the refs are under pressure to make the decisions quicker....ffs.

MFKS
16-12-2017, 10:44 PM
I just hoping this is just some grand plot where VAR trolls everyone all year and then shows it true worth by trolling Arnie and the Smurfs in the GF as Ronny scores the winning goal in the GF with the use of a prosthetic leg and it is allowed by VAR

There be a nice symmetry if this was too happen

And then they banned the ****ing thing for ever

Jetmaster
16-12-2017, 10:46 PM
Perhaps the refs are doing this to kill it themselvesm

westjet
16-12-2017, 10:47 PM
Also be interested to know if those decisions have been made tonight because of bobo getting off last night and the ffa have said something to the refs.

plague
16-12-2017, 10:56 PM
Also be interested to know if those decisions have been made tonight because of bobo getting off last night and the ffa have said something to the refs.

well everyones already forgotten about the Bobo one havent they. FFA has spun this beautifully.

boz-monaut
16-12-2017, 10:59 PM
just watched the two red card VAR decisions

not only were they correct, the refs should have sent Okon off for directing these dirty pricks to play so dirty

that sort of shit doesn't happen by accident - it's a deliberate tactic

in fact, red card the whole damn Coast club - **** them

MFKS
16-12-2017, 10:59 PM
well everyones already forgotten about the Bobo one havent they. FFA has spun this beautifully.

Not really

The focus may be off Bobo but it getting turned squarely at them

They are managing the game and this shit is killing it
Ratings crowds etc down

And they wonder why??

Jetmaster
16-12-2017, 11:02 PM
Bozza spouting off in desperation as his beloved VAR sinks...Peacock visibly pissed off. Bozza reckons there was more controversy before VAR.

plague
16-12-2017, 11:05 PM
see, the sneaky thing Arnies mates in the media have done has largely gone unnoticed.

last night especially was some brilliant work from Harper.

when Bobo hacked Muscat, Harper and Bozza both made comments that it was only a yellow and a 'misdemeanour' and that Muscat went to ground easily and milked it. they made a big point of saying Muscat was faking it to try and get Bobo in trouble.

then when Muscat elbowed Wilkshire, Harper and Bozza both emphatically stated that it was thuggish, assault, and that Wilkshire was legit injured, even though he 'seemed' to be fine once the punishment was dished out.

i found it amazing that Harper was absolute that Bobos hacked caused no damage, and Muscats caused serious damage. its an amazing talent to have all the way up there in the box.

but to the fans at home im assuming theres a lot of them taking Harpers 'injury diagnosis' as gospel. and therefore would def be swaying opinions on the justification for the punishments.

plague
16-12-2017, 11:07 PM
Not really

The focus may be off Bobo but it getting turned squarely at them

They are managing the game and this shit is killing it
Ratings crowds etc down

And they wonder why??

hey look man sockah may be struggling but Shaun Marsh is on the verge of getting a test double hundred cricket died tonight RIP fold the whole damn sport.

Jetmaster
16-12-2017, 11:08 PM
Mitch Marsh mate.....

plague
16-12-2017, 11:09 PM
Mitch Marsh mate.....

hahahahaha sorry i forgot which useless tit it was.

ima not even go edit that because either way its ****ing embarrassing for the sport.

MFKS
17-12-2017, 01:41 PM
So instead of the bleating on Twitter about VAR is it high time we seen some VAR related TIFO at games to let the ****wits on Fox Sports and FFA know what people think of the shite??

Jetmaster
17-12-2017, 01:46 PM
Please explain why Bozza is the go to man with this? He blabbered all sorts of excuses last night. Okon hit it on the head with his "its failed" comment. Tonight in Shootout Bozza will have his pro VAR script ready as to why we are better off. Look forward to Simon Hill this week!
A good point is that last night before the VAR there would have been controversy but the same decision - add the VAR, you get the same call and it becomes more combustible than it was and herein lies the major problem.

halo se7en
17-12-2017, 01:54 PM
Am I one of the only people who think the VAR is actually doing alright? The decisions we’ve benefited from have all been either correct, or we would have got from a ref anyway. Maccarone offside wouldn’t have been called, Nabbout’s goal last night would have been waved offside despite the Adelaide player tapping it into his path. Our PK was already given and was borderline anyway. The Muscat decision in the Sydney game was correct as was Brama’s last night.

The biggest problem right now, which is totally fixable, is the confusion about when and how it’s used. The ref reviewing his own decisions last night in the Scum match shouldn’t have happened (I didn’t see anything wrong with McGings tackle). I don’t get why they have someone upstairs review but the ref can also look at a screen. It’s gotta be one or the other. Also, is it only used if the ref asks a question or do upstairs review on their own accord!? Lose some inconsistency and I think it’ll become more effective & less controversial.

Okon’s whinge last night about fans not returning was only because he was at home. Had they been away from home that wouldn’t have been raised.

It’s amazing how many EPL fans I see on forums absolutely crying out for it.

halo se7en
17-12-2017, 01:56 PM
Please explain why Bozza is the go to man with this? He blabbered all sorts of excuses last night. Okon hit it on the head with his "its failed" comment. Tonight in Shootout Bozza will have his pro VAR script ready as to why we are better off. Look forward to Simon Hill this week!
A good point is that last night before the VAR there would have been controversy but the same decision - add the VAR, you get the same call and it becomes more combustible than it was and herein lies the major problem.

You don’t always get the same call. Nabbouts goal last night wouldn’t have stood. I looked straight at the linesman and he was holding his flag vertical at chest height to signal to the ref that he thought it was offside or check for offside. Without VAR I daresay he would raised it. I didn’t even celebrate at first because he looked a mile off.

MFKS
17-12-2017, 02:15 PM
Am I one of the only people who think the VAR is actually doing alright? The decisions we’ve benefited from have all been either correct, or we would have got from a ref anyway. Maccarone offside wouldn’t have been called, Nabbout’s goal last night would have been waved offside despite the Adelaide player tapping it into his path. Our PK was already given and was borderline anyway. The Muscat decision in the Sydney game was correct as was Brama’s last night.

The biggest problem right now, which is totally fixable, is the confusion about when and how it’s used. The ref reviewing his own decisions last night in the Scum match shouldn’t have happened (I didn’t see anything wrong with McGings tackle). I don’t get why they have someone upstairs review but the ref can also look at a screen. It’s gotta be one or the other. Also, is it only used if the ref asks a question or do upstairs review on their own accord!? Lose some inconsistency and I think it’ll become more effective & less controversial.

Okon’s whinge last night about fans not returning was only because he was at home. Had they been away from home that wouldn’t have been raised.

Consult Twitter

You are on your own

Quite frankly I couldn't give two ****s that we are benefiting from it

It has assisted us get goals and points no doubt

But quite frankly I couldn't give a ****

Referees are blind incompetent fools and have been since the beginning of time

I don't give a **** that they make mistakes I actually like it

What I don't like is the invasion on my game from these new dawn leftist clowns who think everything has to be balanced and perfect

A football game is a lot like life

It isn't fair it isn't just it isn't perfect and even

Sometimes you hit the jackpot when you don't deserve it
Other times you get nowhere no matter how deserving you are with your efforts

That is life
That is football

Leave it the **** alone

It is that what I resent

Cunce are tampering with the very fabric of what makes this game I live and love what it is

They can **** off

plague
17-12-2017, 02:47 PM
Please explain why Bozza is the go to man with this? He blabbered all sorts of excuses last night.

Tonight in Shootout Bozza will have his pro VAR script ready as to why we are better off.

Oh this is an easy answer.

He’ll point to the goal from City, and the first Gypo red.

He’ll point out that these were correct decisions by the VAR.

He’ll then explain that dropping the A-bomb on Hiroshima stopped the war, and it was worth all those civilians getting fried.

Then he’ll argue that the only way to stop gun violence in America is by everyone having more guns.

and I will drink beer and cheer him on from the couch.

I’m here for all of Bozzas nonsense.

halo se7en
17-12-2017, 03:25 PM
Consult Twitter

You are on your own

Quite frankly I couldn't give two ****s that we are benefiting from it

It has assisted us get goals and points no doubt

But quite frankly I couldn't give a ****

Referees are blind incompetent fools and have been since the beginning of time

I don't give a **** that they make mistakes I actually like it

What I don't like is the invasion on my game from these new dawn leftist clowns who think everything has to be balanced and perfect

A football game is a lot like life

It isn't fair it isn't just it isn't perfect and even

Sometimes you hit the jackpot when you don't deserve it
Other times you get nowhere no matter how deserving you are with your efforts

That is life
That is football

Leave it the **** alone

It is that what I resent

Cunce are tampering with the very fabric of what makes this game I live and love what it is

They can **** off

I’m not saying it’s good because we’ve benefited- I highlighted our examples because although I watch other A-League games, the VAR examples from those games don’t stick in my mind.

Personally I want games decided by players, not by incompetent refs. If VAR can remove some of those wrong decisions, then I’m all for it. In its current form it’s not great and I don’t want it going down the road of the NRL. If it can be improved and become much more efficient I don’t see a big drama with it.

MFKS
17-12-2017, 05:29 PM
I’m not saying it’s good because we’ve benefited- I highlighted our examples because although I watch other A-League games, the VAR examples from those games don’t stick in my mind.

Personally I want games decided by players, not by incompetent refs. If VAR can remove some of those wrong decisions, then I’m all for it. In its current form it’s not great and I don’t want it going down the road of the NRL. If it can be improved and become much more efficient I don’t see a big drama with it.

I don't see how you can improve it

Let's go back to WC 06 Grosso v Neill

Let's say that goes to VAR

You could find a thousand VAR referees and you could get 500 for Grosso saying penalty and 500 saying dive play on

Then we could take the Berisha GF dive and we could have another thousand different opinions

It subjective subject and whilst it is a subjective subject your ****ed

It ain't black and white like did the ball cross the line
It ain't like is the batsman in his crease or not
It ain't like did the Drugby League put his foot on the sideline as he tried to score

Games are not being decided any more by incompetent referees than before

These clowns Gillette Evans Beath and co were the same shit cunce last season without VAR

All they are doing now is still making the same shit decisions

Nothing is changing at all.

Except VAR ****ing around with the game now

Let the incompetent ref **** it up just as you see in the local comps we play and watch without the VAR BS

skullboy
17-12-2017, 05:41 PM

No mate, you are absolutely spot on.

StannyCFCJET
17-12-2017, 06:03 PM
VAR is here to stay. Major leagues are getting it next. So we need to make it work as their is no other option

Bremsstrahlung
17-12-2017, 06:09 PM
I feel it’s been neither a success nor a failure.
Watching a game for me at the ground hasn’t changed.
If anything, if something gets reviewed and upheld I can take from that that there was no clear error. Conversely, if they overule something, they must have a reason to?

A lot of the problem is the media beat up. But that’s gonna be there one way or another. Pre- VAR the commentary at the time and post match news would focus on an event that should have been overturned, or something that wasn’t seen, an obviously incorrect decision. Now, the commentary and post match is focussed on things that have been reviewed and basically how long it takes. But to intervene there has to be an error or something unsighted.

parksey
17-12-2017, 06:17 PM
it's a disgrace

halo se7en
I don't see how you can improve it

Let's go back to WC 06 Grosso v Neill

Let's say that goes to VAR

You could find a thousand VAR referees and you could get 500 for Grosso saying penalty and 500 saying dive play on

Then we could take the Berisha GF dive and we could have another thousand different opinions

It subjective subject and whilst it is a subjective subject your ****ed

It ain't black and white like did the ball cross the line
It ain't like is the batsman in his crease or not
It ain't like did the Drugby League put his foot on the sideline as he tried to score

Games are not being decided any more by incompetent referees than before

These clowns Gillette Evans Beath and co were the same shit cunce last season without VAR

All they are doing now is still making the same shit decisions

Nothing is changing at all.

Except VAR ****ing around with the game now

Let the incompetent ref **** it up just as you see in the local comps we play and watch without the VAR BS

There are some B & W decisions. Was Nabbout offside last night? No. Did Muscat elbow the other guy in the head. Yes. Both events that were clear as day and possibly wouldn’t have been called if VAR wasn’t there. It’ll never be perfect sure, but some improvement is bette than nothing. You’re acting like it hasn’t got anything right?

outsider
VAR is here to stay. Major leagues are getting it next. So we need to make it work as their is no other option

It is here to stay but I hear that they are renaming it the NFI

StannyCFCJET
17-12-2017, 06:38 PM
It is here to stay but I hear that they are renaming it the NFI

The what?