PDA

View Full Version : The Bernie Skerrick Thread (shhhhh its code)

MFKS
09-05-2017, 09:35 AM
Let's just sticky this ****er for future reference

Roundball Enthusiast
09-05-2017, 09:49 AM
Useless. Done literally nothing since he's been here.

Wilso8948
09-05-2017, 10:05 AM
Can't even be bothered being in the country for his appointment. Obvs hates Newy. Bye.

GazFish35
09-05-2017, 04:53 PM
just for balance....

merrick in.

hasn't lost a game yet.
no goals conceded.
most importantly - hasn't uttered the phrase "moving forward" or,
blamed injuries

StannyCFCJET
09-05-2017, 04:56 PM
just for balance....

merrick in.

hasn't lost a game yet.
no goals conceded.
blamed injuries

Or "its Just Another Game"

belchardo
09-05-2017, 05:18 PM
just for balance....

merrick in.

hasn't lost a game yet.
no goals conceded.
blamed injuries

will need to know his current level of fazedness and also how significant he thinks games against the gypos are before i can arrive at an opinion.

turbojetfireV8
09-05-2017, 07:40 PM
I'll wait till the first time he says "it is what it is" before I put the boot in... :slap:

furns
09-05-2017, 11:45 PM
So turns out someone else had already created a Merrick Out thread a few days ago - so the Member was too slow haha
Thought it best to change this to an actual thread where people can actually discuss the coach without all this semi serious negativity around it.

Welcome to the club, Bernie

plague
10-05-2017, 12:01 AM
i wish him all the best.
hope he wins every ****ing game and the Jets play awesome football.

furns
10-05-2017, 01:10 AM
Someone call the cops - there is a stranger in plagues house and is using his computer

Jetmaster
10-05-2017, 08:28 AM
The gist of his wordings yesterday.

ERNIE Merrick insists he can win a title at the Newcastle Jets.

The fiercely driven 64-year-old would not have accepted the coaching position – a poisoned chalice in recent seasons – if he did not.

Merrick has signed a two-year deal, beating former Blackburn manager Steve Kean, and by the end of that period he expects to be challenging for a title.

“I feel this club is going places,” Merrick told the Herald from Scotland where he is visiting family. “I am not one for trying to buy time. Because of the set-up, the facilities, the staff and the culture of the town – historically it is a great place for football – I think we can make a substantial difference in season one. That is certainly what I intend to do. I am not one who has a four-or-five-year plan. It is about doing it and doing it now. I am very big on having a winning mentality. I don’t care how skillful players are, if they are not there to win and fight for the club, they shouldn’t be there.”

Merrick, who won two premierships and two championships with Melbourne Victory in 2007 and 2009 and guided Wellington Phoenix to the finals in 2015, is the Jets’ fifth coach in five years.

He resigned from his previous post in Wellington in December. The Phoenix, who were last at the time, boasted a squad headed by Kosta Bourbarouses and Gui Finkler. But Merrick believed the club was at too big a disadvantage to be successful.

“I couldn’t see them winning anything,” he said. “I liked the club, I liked the setup and I had good support. It was was more to do with FIFA windows not being respected and the horrendous travel schedule we were continually given. We had six of our best players out for six games.”

Top of the shopping list is a creative midfielder.

“The game is pretty simple,” Merrick said. “Invade territory and get into areas where you can score crucial goals. I think Newcastle had trouble doing that towards the end of the season. If you have a striker you need to get service to him. I would think an attacking midfielder would be crucial for the team. There is the foundation of a very good squad. Steve Ugarkovic in the middle of the pitch, Nick Cowburn and Lachy Jackson are in the Olympic team ... I would like to add more quality experienced players. The balance then would be very good. There are quite a few good Australian players who are available. It is case of making sure they know we are looking for players.”

Merrick, who has coached the most game in the A-League, has a different approach to many.

“I tend to try and build a team around goal-scorers rather than build from the defence forwards,” he said. “If you look at the teams I’ve had previously, whether it be Archie Thompson, Danny Allsopp, Robbie Kruse, Roy Krishna, it is about getting the ball to those players quickly. ”

The Jets have 10 players off-contract headed by Ben Kantarovski, Labinot Haliti and Andrew Hoole.

“It is only fair to let them know as soon as possible,” Merrick said. “That will happen in the next couple of weeks. I have to be thorough. I don’t think it will be a major clean out.”

halo se7en
10-05-2017, 08:32 AM
The gist of his wordings yesterday.

Words don't mean much without action, but it's a nice change from the ****ing "minister of defence" we had last season, who didn't actually know how to set up the team to not concede.

boz-monaut
10-05-2017, 10:22 AM
we need to start using this translator to work out what the **** he's saying

http://www.scotranslate.com/

eg:
what the media reported:
“I feel this club is going places,”
I am not one for trying to buy time. Because of the set-up, the facilities, the staff and the culture of the town – historically it is a great place for football – I think we can make a substantial difference in season one. That is certainly what I intend to do. I am not one who has a four-or-five-year plan. It is about doing it and doing it now. I am very big on having a winning mentality. I don’t care how skillful players are, if they are not there to win and fight for the club, they shouldn’t be there.”

what was actually said:
“i cop this dancin is gaun places,” amurnay yin fur trying tae buy time. Fur o' th' set-up, th' facilities, th' warkers 'n' th' culchur o' th' toun – historically it's a stoatin steid fur fitba – ah think we kin mak' a substantial difference in seezin yin. That is certainly whit ah intend tae dae. Amurnay yin wha haes a four-or-five-year plan. It's aboot daein' it 'n' daein' it noo. A'm gey muckle oan haein a winnin' mentality. Ah don’t care howfur skillful players ur, if they're nae thare tae win 'n' rammy fur th' dancin, thay shouldn’t be there.

Jeterpool
10-05-2017, 10:38 AM
5 star post

MFKS
10-05-2017, 11:08 AM
we need to start using this translator to work out what the **** he's saying

http://www.scotranslate.com/

eg:
what the media reported:
“I feel this club is going places,”
I am not one for trying to buy time. Because of the set-up, the facilities, the staff and the culture of the town – historically it is a great place for football – I think we can make a substantial difference in season one. That is certainly what I intend to do. I am not one who has a four-or-five-year plan. It is about doing it and doing it now. I am very big on having a winning mentality. I don’t care how skillful players are, if they are not there to win and fight for the club, they shouldn’t be there.”

what was actually said:
“i cop this dancin is gaun places,” amurnay yin fur trying tae buy time. Fur o' th' set-up, th' facilities, th' warkers 'n' th' culchur o' th' toun – historically it's a stoatin steid fur fitba – ah think we kin mak' a substantial difference in seezin yin. That is certainly whit ah intend tae dae. Amurnay yin wha haes a four-or-five-year plan. It's aboot daein' it 'n' daein' it noo. A'm gey muckle oan haein a winnin' mentality. Ah don’t care howfur skillful players ur, if they're nae thare tae win 'n' rammy fur th' dancin, thay shouldn’t be there.

Though it must be pointed out that Bernie appears to be talking out of his arse

This club is going places
WTF does that mean??

I don't see us going anywhere Making 6th is going to be a battle

He is very big on having a winning mentality??
Shame his 14 existing players don't have it

Frodo
10-05-2017, 11:24 AM

WTF does that mean??

Kick the door in and tell everyone they will be better. No if's or but's, just this is the way it will be. Seems like the only way to try to turn us around in the time frame he has set.

If he starts signing winners we will know how much of it is talk and how much is media hot air. He knows he has a battle on his hand to get numbers up for returning members next year so i'm ok with this sort of talk coming from him. Doesn't affect me, but could keep some of the facebookers onside. We need their money to get beer prices down.

I reckon if he signs 1 quality player before the end of June he will do a world of diffence to the mums and dads who are probably not coming back next year. A Castro/Bonevacia/Burns type player who we know would do well in the league would be huge for management right now.

Don't get this confused with any talk of making the 6 or being a decent club or anything else wrong around here. I'm solely talking about getting plastic fans to spend their money here again next season.

The Camel
10-05-2017, 11:25 AM

WTF does that mean??

I took it as a dig that he thinks this years squad did not have the right mentality, and if they do not change that then they won't be around for long or playing much

MonkeyKplunk
10-05-2017, 11:25 AM

WTF does that mean??

**** me member, whats with all the negativity lately?
At first I thought you were just always taking the piss, but your posts lately are getting to the point where it sounds like you're starting to believe your own bullshit

turbojetfireV8
10-05-2017, 11:40 AM
“The game is pretty simple,” Merrick said. “Invade territory and get into areas where you can score crucial goals. I think Newcastle had trouble doing that towards the end of the season. If you have a striker you need to get service to him. I would think an attacking midfielder would be crucial for the team. There is the foundation of a very good squad. Steve Ugarkovic in the middle of the pitch, Nick Cowburn and Lachy Jackson are in the Olympic team ... I would like to add more quality experienced players. The balance then would be very good. There are quite a few good Australian players who are available. It is case of making sure they know we are looking for players.”

Already the best coach we've ever had :wub::wub::wub:

Jetmaster
10-05-2017, 12:10 PM

WTF does that mean??

Geez you confuse us plebs - not long ago you lambasted the club for aiming low and "finishing in the six" and suggested we take the Leicester route and aim high.

You are like the guys redeveloping the CBD - make it up as you go along.

I think Ernie is just getting it out there that mentality and culture has to change - he knows he can't sack everyone so he is putting them on notice.

And surely you must love his line last night - "we should make the finals, no excuses".

MFKS
10-05-2017, 12:56 PM
Geez you confuse us plebs - not long ago you lambasted the club for aiming low and "finishing in the six" and suggested we take the Leicester route and aim high.

You are like the guys redeveloping the CBD - make it up as you go along.

I think Ernie is just getting it out there that mentality and culture has to change - he knows he can't sack everyone so he is putting them on notice.

And surely you must love his line last night - "we should make the finals, no excuses".
I think he is making a rod for his own back.
I don't think we need to be publicly setting goals.

Doing so only places ridiculous expectation on the squad

We are along way from being a competent club
Let's just focus on that

Results will follow

This BS from him that he expects us to make the 6 next season is just ill-advised

He don't deliver the fans are going to lynch him
Then we back here again next year for rebuild v11

Getting our house in order is the priority.Not results

Results come afterwards

Jeterpool
10-05-2017, 01:08 PM

Let's just focus on that

Results will follow

This BS from him that he expects us to make the 6 next season is just ill-advised

Results come afterwards

Yet we lambast the club for not having goals? Or at the very least making them public?

Jeterpool
10-05-2017, 01:32 PM
http://www.newcastlefootball.net/home/2017/05/ernie-merrick-takes-the-yoke/

Some of my thoughts on the appointment if you care to have a read.

cobra23
10-05-2017, 01:37 PM
ernie "BRAVEHEART" merrick ..
scottish people always sound hard, until you get them to say POOF

Couscous
10-05-2017, 01:53 PM
Already the best coach we've ever had :wub::wub::wub:

Last time I'll say this. We had a title-winning coach who oversaw possession football played high up the pitch that moved to ball very quickly, via Carle, to Griffo.

plague
10-05-2017, 01:59 PM
Someone call the cops - there is a stranger in plagues house and is using his computer

That's ok, one day you guys are gonna actually read my posts and level some justified opinions.

Until then, I'll keep giving everyone a chance.

borat
10-05-2017, 04:51 PM

Let's just focus on that

Results will follow

Results come afterwards

I actually agree with most of this. I thought it was extremely short sighted of Merrick to say he doesn't believe in 5 year plans. Any successful club surely plans longer than 12 months.

To me we are following the same mistakes of the past, albeit with a better manager.

First mistake is the contract length. I would have liked to have seen Merrick or whoever got the job given a 3 year deal. 2 year deal comes with pressure that if things don't come off perfectly they could be sacked in 9 months, just like all the managers before.

And yes goal for next season should just be about righting the ship. We are in a big hole right now and it's going to be very difficult to recruit our way out of it. We should be signing the best longer term prospects we can rather than just looking for short term solutions and paying overs.

While there is no relegation we should be planning further ahead than 12 months. Just scraping into the 6 next season means nothing if we finish 9th/10th the following season.

furns
10-05-2017, 05:56 PM
I actually agree with most of this. I thought it was extremely short sighted of Merrick to say he doesn't believe in 5 year plans. Any successful club surely plans longer than 12 months.

To me we are following the same mistakes of the past, albeit with a better manager.

First mistake is the contract length. I would have liked to have seen Merrick or whoever got the job given a 3 year deal. 2 year deal comes with pressure that if things don't come off perfectly they could be sacked in 9 months, just like all the managers before.

And yes goal for next season should just be about righting the ship. We are in a big hole right now and it's going to be very difficult to recruit our way out of it. We should be signing the best longer term prospects we can rather than just looking for short term solutions and paying overs.

While there is no relegation we should be planning further ahead than 12 months. Just scraping into the 6 next season means nothing if we finish 9th/10th the following season.I think that the club has read the frustrations of the fans tbh
They know we don't make the finals yet again next season - it will be carnage.
The proof of future planning will be reflected in the recruitment over the next 12 months, players that fit his system will be re-signed to longer deals. Those that dont, will be shown the door at the end of the season to be replaced by better options.
No reason that they cant say that the immediate goal is to make the finals, but the mandate behind the scenes is to lay a foundation for the next 3-5 seasons. Merrick can also have his contract extended towards the end of the season, so that he has the stability to continue shaping the squad as needed.
You cant expect a manifesto on KPI's for the next decade to be released inside the first round of 5 minute interviews Ernie conducted with the football media.

I will also state that the Jetstream will be reaching out to the club over the next week or so to get some time with Ernie when he arrives so we can flesh out the goals and expectations over the next few years.

MFKS
10-05-2017, 05:57 PM

While there is no relegation we should be planning further ahead than 12 months. Just scraping into the 6 next season means nothing if we finish 9th/10th the following season.

I think a lot of the comments recently from the Gypo about it being his arse if the Merrick appointment don't work is wrong.

The least important priority at the club is the Gypos job
Always should be and it is weak that self preservation of one's arse was a motivating factor in the recruitment of Merrick

What we need to do is actually develop some ****ing patience and stick it out.

Pick the man and give him the time to build and develop

As you said we are not in a position to recruit our way out of it. We can do some damage this season at righting it but here is the biggest problem that is going to effect Merrick.

Once he gets here and sees how shit we really are first hand he is going to realise he has a lot of work to do to turn things around.

To put us in a position where fans are going to be expecting semi final football is a dumb move

What's going to be worse if we make a couple of big name signings

Then the pressure will mount 10 fold from the plastic fans

The same fans who will be using the words Merrick uttered yesterday and Gypo CEO mouthed about no excuses for not making semis to be lynching them again next March

The Dunster
10-05-2017, 06:02 PM
Merrick will walk out as soon as he sees that we spend less here on players than his previous clubs did on hot lunches.

plague
10-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Ange turned things around pretty quickly in Brisbane, Popovic invented football at WSW in one off season.

Why shouldn't Merrick think along those lines?

borat
10-05-2017, 06:22 PM
Ange turned things around pretty quickly in Brisbane, Popovic invented football at WSW in one off season.

Why shouldn't Merrick think along those lines?

You are wrong but your point is right.

Look at what Ange did in Brisbane. First season under Ange they finished 2nd last. Ange also made no promises as to where they would finish and only committed and doubled down to the style of play he would coach. He got rid of any players who wouldn't get onboard and in the 2nd season everything came good.

That's what I want to see from Merrick. Build the club,the style of play to be successful. Stop going for sugar hit seasons, paying overs for aging players just to scrape into the 6. Because it either doesn't work and you end up with egg on your face or its short term and you are back where you started the following season.

borat
10-05-2017, 06:29 PM
I think that the club has read the frustrations of the fans tbh
The proof of future planning will be reflected in the recruitment over the next 12 months, players that fit his system will be re-signed to longer deals. Those that dont, will be shown the door at the end of the season to be replaced by better options.
No reason that they cant say that the immediate goal is to make the finals, but the mandate behind the scenes is to lay a foundation for the next 3-5 seasons. Merrick can also have his contract extended towards the end of the season, so that he has the stability to continue shaping the squad as needed.
You cant expect a manifesto on KPI's for the next decade to be released inside the first round of 5 minute interviews Ernie conducted with the football media.

I will also state that the Jetstream will be reaching out to the club over the next week or so to get some time with Ernie when he arrives so we can flesh out the goals and expectations over the next few years.

Can't agree sorry.

When have the fans not been frustrated and demanded success? And year after year when they fail, what happens then.

It's all good to aim for the 6, in a 10 team comp it's almost impossible not to be in the mix. But that should not be the primary goal. We have come last 2 out of the last 3 seasons, it doesn't get any lower than this.

Now is the time to plan for the longer term future of this club. Sign a marquee 10 and a chinese player, but go hard for the best young Australian talent we can sign. Be that in Australia or playing u19/21 in Europe. Then give the time to learn the system and not expect immediate success. Don't recruit journeyman rejects from other clubs on inflated salaries just to get them to come to Newcastle.

turbojetfireV8
10-05-2017, 08:21 PM
surely Ernie only has two years left till he retires, why would he be planning beyond that... :popcorn:

MFKS
10-05-2017, 09:36 PM

If the club has basically sacked Jones and appointed Merrick just to keep the fans happy then the Gypo has to go.

The club actually needs to grow a spine and it's starts with the leadership

If the entire plan is to sack Jones and we will appoint someone who is popular in Merrick just to get the fans off their backs then they have NFI

They are actually happy to keep the club going in mediocrity in this vain quest of making the top 6

The other thing is if the club are actually more concerned by keeping the 4000 or so plastic ****s who call themselves members and are threatening to not renew happy as opposed to sorting what the fundamental failings are then they might as well just fold the club

Either way it appears more and more this Gypo CEO has to ****ing go.

He all talk and complete BS and more worried about his own job than getting done what needs to be done

borat
10-05-2017, 10:35 PM
If the club has basically sacked Jones and appointed Merrick just to keep the fans happy then the Gypo has to go.

If the entire plan is to sack Jones and we will appoint someone who is popular in Merrick just to get the fans off their backs then they have NFI

They are actually happy to keep the club going in mediocrity in this vain quest of making the top 6

The other thing is if the club are actually more concerned by keeping the 4000 or so plastic ****s who call themselves members and are threatening to not renew happy as opposed to sorting what the fundamental failings are then they might as well just fold the club

He all talk and complete BS and more worried about his own job than getting done what needs to be done
No need for a CEO, just make decisions via twitter poll

plague
10-05-2017, 11:01 PM
Ange also made no promises as to where they would finish and only committed and doubled down to the style of play he would coach.

oh i remember it differently, his intention was to play good attacking football. I took that as a desire to win.
not sure anyone changing shit as much as he did in the hope of winning the possession stat.

/hears door bell.

/answers door.

/tells GVE to go home

hawk
10-05-2017, 11:44 PM
:popcorn::rof::deadhorse::blah::wacko::wub::roflz: :shock::pissup::sup:

furns
11-05-2017, 12:02 AM

He all talk and complete BS and more worried about his own job than getting done what needs to be doneWhere did i say that?
The gist of my post was that the club know the supporter base is fed up with not making finals and basically starting from scratch every season with a new coach.
Hence why Merrick's first message is "we will make the finals", successful coach starts with a message that we want success.
All the other stuff you mentioned about building the club properly, recruitment around a culture, etc will become evident as time goes on.

Wilso8948
11-05-2017, 07:39 AM

Ha please. Jets fans will just give the club a good fist shake and "the frowning of a lifetime", then renew their membership ready for the next year of empty promises and horseshit football.

WolfMan
11-05-2017, 07:55 AM
Ha please. Jets fans will just give the club a good fist shake and "the frowning of a lifetime", then renew their membership ready for the next year of empty promises and horseshit football.

I LOL'd

https://i.redd.it/m8ctnx2ck78y.png

leftrightout
11-05-2017, 08:36 AM
I LOL'd

https://i.redd.it/m8ctnx2ck78y.png

Wrong Simpsons reference! Needed the picture of the Shelbyville father and son giving an all mighty fist shake... i am not tech savy enough to post a GIF unfortunately!

Jeterpool
11-05-2017, 09:15 AM

Membership is down and so is matchday attendances. I look at that as Jets fans are starting to vote with their feet.

MFKS
11-05-2017, 09:33 AM
Membership is down and so is matchday attendances. I look at that as Jets fans are starting to vote with their feet.

That's ok they just the plastic ones

We have a core support of 4-5k

At the moment we just still ejecting the non believers from the bandwagon as it continues to crash

The 4-5k rusted on are still holding on

High time the club actually focused on doing their job properly rather than catering to try and appease the plastic fans out there

plague
11-05-2017, 09:54 AM
Good business plan that, hang on to the 4K superfans and bugger the rest.

Propa sockah morals > money

WolfMan
11-05-2017, 09:59 AM
Wrong Simpsons reference! Needed the picture of the Shelbyville father and son giving an all mighty fist shake... i am not tech savy enough to post a GIF unfortunately!

http://i.imgur.com/YVwP1UF.gif

MFKS
11-05-2017, 10:52 AM
Good business plan that, hang on to the 4K superfans and bugger the rest.

Propa sockah morals > money

As opposed to the current business plan of shooting ourselves in the foot which isn't going much better

Disagree with your assessment that we need to be pandering to the plastics amongst the club's supporter base

The club needs to be focusing on getting its shit together rather than taking measures just to get the fans off their case

If hard decisions need to be made and these plastics dissappear so what
They never real support amyway

Roundball Enthusiast
11-05-2017, 11:06 AM
As opposed to the current business plan of shooting ourselves in the foot which isn't going much better

Disagree with your assessment that we need to be pandering to the plastics amongst the club's supporter base

The club needs to be focusing on getting its shit together rather than taking measures just to get the fans off their case

If hard decisions need to be made and these plastics dissappear so what
They never real support amyway

Yeah coz football isn't about money at all.
Football isn't a business.
Businesses don't need money.
Money isn't generated by support/ticket/merch sales.
Support/tickets/merch sales isn't generated by performance/results.

You're a clever one, aren't you.

MFKS
11-05-2017, 11:47 AM
Yeah coz football isn't about money at all.
Football isn't a business.
Businesses don't need money.
Money isn't generated by support/ticket/merch sales.
Support/tickets/merch sales isn't generated by performance/results.

You're a clever one, aren't you.

Yep and I sure when the Chinese Lightsalesman was pondering whether to buy this shit club he was seeing $$$ to be made.

Football clubs are a black hole of money

Whether we play before 4 k or 8k next season has **** all difference really to the club's bottom line

Season tickets are not their main sauce of income.

It TV money and out of the Chinese Lightsalesman to balance the books

Yes I am clever

leftrightout
11-05-2017, 12:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/YVwP1UF.gif
:thumbsup:

Roundball Enthusiast
11-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Yep and I sure when the Chinese Lightsalesman was pondering whether to buy this shit club he was seeing $$$ to be made.

Football clubs are a black hole of money

Whether we play before 4 k or 8k next season has **** all difference really to the club's bottom line

Season tickets are not their main sauce of income.

It TV money and out of the Chinese Lightsalesman to balance the books

Yes I am clever

4,000 Members @ $150 a season.
8,000 Members @ $150 a season.
12,000 Members @ $150 a season.
20,000 Members @ $150 a season.

Do the math.

Hint. It's quite a lot of money, especially if you can do what Victory does and hit that 25k Members mark.

MFKS
11-05-2017, 12:54 PM
4,000 Members @ $150 a season.
8,000 Members @ $150 a season.
12,000 Members @ $150 a season.
20,000 Members @ $150 a season.

Do the math.

Hint. It's quite a lot of money, especially if you can do what Victory does and hit that 25k Members mark.

If you get a competent club happening here that shit sort of takes care of itself doesn't it??

People turn up to watch a successful team and all that

But no decisions need to be made based on getting these plastic fans to pay up again rather than fixing the issues that are actually causing them to spit the dummy ??

Ok

idontwannaplaywithhowey
11-05-2017, 01:00 PM
I don't think it's one of the other.
Member is right that quality on the pitch will increase (plastic) supporter numbers.
Everyone else is right that a club wont last with 4000 (non plastic) supporters.

It's not just about $$$ (at the end of the day it is) but if we don't keep the 'plastics' around the FFA will decide we aren't worth the hassle and give us the boot.

Annnnd, even when clubs offer great football people will still find something to complain about that keeps them away, so some appeasement of the fan base is required at some level.

If you offer a good product but are still a dick, people will steer clear.

Macca
11-05-2017, 01:01 PM
Your (valid) point being that we don't want to be papering over the cracks each off season, doing 2-for-1's and appeasing the hordes however necessary only to have to double down even harder the next off season to try and get them back again. Don't worry about how many members we'll have next season. Think about the choices we can make now to have the most members in 5 seasons.

Roundball Enthusiast
11-05-2017, 01:05 PM
If you get a competent club happening here that shit sort of takes care of itself doesn't it??

But no decisions need to be made based on getting these plastic fans to pay up again rather than fixing the issues that are actually causing them to spit the dummy ??

Ok

But I'm plastic if I only turn up when the team is doing well..

What am I if I continue to pay up for the last 8 years of dribble the club has been dishing up? Loyal? Faithful? Probably fvcking stupid. But I do it, just like many here do. All because we'd hate to be branded Plastic by someone who thinks he's the gospel of World football. Even though we all know the only gospel of world football is Griff.

Club can't do shit without money.

Short term success (i.e making the finals next year) will give us an injection of $ to help us fund the long term success. But Lee needs to cough up NOW to ensure we can be successful next year, which I believe he will.

Skerrick is a proven winner when given the resources & time. Lets see it happen in the off-season and watch how the plastics react come season start.

The Camel
11-05-2017, 03:02 PM

Ok

The two are not mutually exclusive tho Member.

Getting rid of Jones, you label a decision just to appease the fans. It may have been a decision that appeased the fans but that is not the only reason that decision needed to be made. It needed to be made because he was the worst manager the A League has seen and was going to drag the club deeper and deeper into the abyss. He was a large part of the issues that were causing the so called plastics to spit the dummy. Along with the Gypo CEO that made the decision to employ him.

MFKS
11-05-2017, 03:09 PM
The two are not mutually exclusive tho Member.

Getting rid of Jones, you label a decision just to appease the fans. It may have been a decision that appeased the fans but that is not the only reason that decision needed to be made. It needed to be made because he was the worst manager the A League has seen and was going to drag the club deeper and deeper into the abyss. He was a large part of the issues that were causing the so called plastics to spit the dummy. Along with the Gypo CEO that made the decision to employ him.

Seriously you think the shit with Jones was worse than with Muppet then you are delusional

We had 6 weeks of shite under Jones. We had a whole season of it under Muppet

Chalk and cheese

Muppet also had blokes to use like Griff Devonhead Flores Neumann Jaliens Celevski

Name me one bloke on par that Jones had of this calibre??

The Camel
11-05-2017, 03:15 PM
Seriously you think the shit with Jones was worse than with Muppet then you are delusional

We had 6 weeks of shite under Jones. We had a whole season of it under Muppet

Chalk and cheese

Muppet also had blokes to use like Griff Devonhead Flores Neumann Jaliens Celevski

Name me one bloke on par that Jones had of this calibre??

I have them on par actually. Jones showed what a clueless and gutless wonder he was in about round 4 when he played a flat back 5 parking the bus against Sydney FC and just gave them the game. He just got worse from there. Muppet was a worse man manager IMO and lost the respect of the players you named but I think he had more football nous than Jones who was clueless about team selections, tactics and substitutions.

Roundball Enthusiast
11-05-2017, 03:31 PM
Lets not tarnish the great Bernie Skerrick thread with those previous to him names. Please.

Lets talk about the man himself Bernie, what he can do into the future.

sorefootballer
11-05-2017, 05:06 PM
I'm plastic and I don't give a shit what cunce think about it.. I have been a member, I go to atleast 3 games a season and I watch them on the TV whenever I get the chance. I'm just as frustrated as all you boys and girls at what we dish up for how many years?
Time to get on the Bernie wagon and continue to be plastic

turbojetfireV8
12-05-2017, 09:23 PM
Not sure if this one came up on here, but was an interesting assessment:

http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/04/29/newcastle-jets-sign-ernie-merrick/

Couscous
26-05-2017, 09:01 AM
The hiring process was flawed, but I'd like to put on the record my support for Ernie as head coach. I hope he gathers about him the right, experienced assistants that we'll need.

The Camel
26-05-2017, 12:54 PM
The hiring process was flawed, but I'd like to put on the record my support for Ernie as head coach. I hope he gathers about him the right, experienced assistants that we'll need.

As long as that is not you Gary, or Lawrie's mate Jones I will be happy. Muppets

turbojetfireV8
26-05-2017, 08:16 PM
Bert speaks:
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4690017/merrick-unimpressed-with-jets/?cs=306

StannyCFCJET
26-05-2017, 08:27 PM
Merrick said We’ve talked to a few players . . . but I never mention players that we’re talking to. Speculation doesn’t really help anyone. There’s nothing worse than building up hopes and letting people down.”

Take note Jets management

plague
26-05-2017, 08:28 PM
We’ve talked to a few players . . . but I never mention players that we’re talking to. Speculation doesn’t really help anyone. There’s nothing worse than building up hopes and letting people down.”

bahahahahahaha he wont fit in here.

Merrick out.

Whens Venables get here?

Jeterpool
26-05-2017, 08:33 PM
bahahahahahaha he wont fit in here.

Merrick out.

Whens Venables get here?

Terry is bringing Stan Collymore

Wilso8948
26-05-2017, 10:48 PM
So after all that application shortlist bullshit the successful candidate openly comes out in the media to state that the hiring party sent him a text message asking if he was bored and wanted a job. **** me. Amateur hour

StannyCFCJET
27-05-2017, 05:20 AM
So after all that application shortlist bullshit the successful candidate openly comes out in the media to state that the hiring party sent him a text message asking if he was bored and wanted a job. **** me. Amateur hour

He's Lawrie's Mate as well.

Boss
27-05-2017, 05:41 AM
Wow. If merrick fails (I think we will come 4th) McKinney has to go. Amazing article about being mates.

borat
27-05-2017, 09:51 AM

And you compare that to Adelaide and Phoenix, the candidates they are attracting. We are amateur hour

WolfMan
27-05-2017, 11:48 AM
And you compare that to Adelaide and Phoenix, the candidates they are attracting. We are amateur hour

I'm not across this - what candidates are these teams attracting? And please don't mention Batigol - hasn't coached at a professional level yet

turbojetfireV8
27-05-2017, 02:56 PM
More of the Bert interview:
https://audioboom.com/posts/5958232-press-conference-ernie-merrick-friday-26-may-2017

borat
27-05-2017, 03:48 PM
I'm not across this - what candidates are these teams attracting? And please don't mention Batigol - hasn't coached at a professional level yet

FMD

Had a stint as assistant to the Argentine National team I beleive....but yeah let's stick with McKinna's mates.

Nix have signed a European Coach but they won't officially announce the name until he arrives in June

Supposed to be this guy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darije_Kalezić

http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/a-league/92775169/wellington-phoenix-agree-terms-with-europebased-manager-for-head-coach-role

But apparently only the handful of local coaches/Lawrie mates can recruit Australian players

The Dunster
27-05-2017, 04:55 PM
FMD

Had a stint as assistant to the Argentine National team I beleive....but yeah let's stick with McKinna's mates.

Nix have signed a European Coach but they won't officially announce the name until he arrives in June

Supposed to be this guy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darije_Kalezić

http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/a-league/92775169/wellington-phoenix-agree-terms-with-europebased-manager-for-head-coach-role

But apparently only the handful of local coaches/Lawrie mates can recruit Australian players

Kalezic started his management career off rather well then faded somewhat by the looks of that link. Teams seem to have improved once he left as well so good luck to Wellington - they are probably going to need it.

borat
27-05-2017, 06:50 PM
Kalezic started his management career off rather well then faded somewhat by the looks of that link. Teams seem to have improved once he left as well so good luck to Wellington - they are probably going to need it.

Sounds like Ernie.....but with an actual resume

MFKS
17-12-2017, 01:35 PM
11 Rounds in

This bloke better be getting Coach of the year gong in the HAL awards shit

To turn this stinking club around as he has done is a far greater achievement than has ever been managed in the history of the HAL barring of course Griff winning us a comp on his own back

There is no way VAR FC coach Gypo Arnold should be anywhere near the prize